Let's Play Catherine

I was able only to beat first stage...

Ok, here are some things that may help you:

1. First of all: play in pair mode (you need 2 controllers for this). Even doing this solo will make things a lot easier, because the floor will crumble at a slower pace, you need to climb less steps, formations will be broader, and there will be less trap blocks, ice blocks, random blocks, monster blocks, and black hole blocks. It will take some time to get used to playing solo with 2 controllers, but you'll need to do it anyway to beat Axis Mundi, which is glitched on the EU and NA version when playing solo mode. Be careful not to prevent the other character from following you up and always hang one character from an edge to prevent them from being pushed off.
  2. Press  :ps: to pause the game and look for the best way up or to calm down. This can be a lifesaver when you're in a tight spot.
  3. Mute the sound. It's bad enough to hear "New Record" every time when ascending a step, but getting near the end and hearing the bells will break your concentration and make you screw up near the end (I'm speaking from personal experience here).
  4. Don't be afraid to use Bring Down The House when an entire formation is being supported by 1-2 blocks (this is especially useful in Axis Mundi). You can do a double BDTH with both characters at the same time too. But don't overdo it, which brings me to the next tip:
  5. Try to leave the formation intact as much as possible. Having holes and tower formations will make it a lot harder to go up. 
  6. After ascending every few steps take the time to build a 3 block formation. This helps to stay in control as much as possible. At Axis Mundi this is mandatory to go up, as you need to build it first, whereas in the first 3 stages it mostly comes down to pulling 1-2 blocks.
  7. Each stage has 2 parts where things get harder (I believe the first one is around lvl 4-5 and the second one is around 7-8). Surviving those usually means you're going to make it, but don't become complacent after surviving it.
  8. Watch some Babel videos from people who already cleared it and try to memorize solutions. Every level (shown in the upper left corner of the screen) has 10 or so formations. The game randomly picks one and drops it in the game, so having memorized solutions will help to deal with unexpected things.
  9. Finally, practice, practice, and practice. When you're done with that, keep practicing some more. Tell yourself you won't clear it within the first 20-30 tries to get into that mindset, which will save frustration. If you do manage to complete it, then nice work. If not, then no worries, because those were practice runs anyway. Also it helps to write down your progress. Seeing how much you progressed will keep your motivation (somewhat) intact.

As a reference, here is how long I spent completing them:

• Altar: 2 days (no idea how many attempts, but I'm guessing 40+ at least)
  • Menhir: 3 days (best guess is 60+ tries)
  • Obelisk: 1 day (13 tries)
  • Axis Mundi: 1 day (6 tries)

Of course difficulty is subjective and it also depends on the random formations.

I hope these help, good luck :D.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

Ok, here are some things that may help you:

1. First of all: play in pair mode (you need 2 controllers for this). Even doing this solo will make things a lot easier, because the floor will crumble at a slower pace, you need to climb less steps, formations will be broader, and there will be less trap blocks, ice blocks, random blocks, monster blocks, and black hole blocks. It will take some time to get used to playing solo with 2 controllers, but you'll need to do it anyway to beat Axis Mundi, which is glitched on the EU and NA version when playing solo mode. Be careful not to prevent the other character from following you up and always hang one character from an edge to prevent them from being pushed off.
  2. Press  :ps: to pause the game and look for the best way up or to calm down. This can be a lifesaver when you're in a tight spot.
  3. Mute the sound. It's bad enough to hear "New Record" every time when ascending a step, but getting near the end and hearing the bells will break your concentration and make you screw up near the end (I'm speaking from personal experience here).
  4. Don't be afraid to use Bring Down The House when an entire formation is being supported by 1-2 blocks (this is especially useful in Axis Mundi). You can do a double BDTH with both characters at the same time too. But don't overdo it, which brings me to the next tip:
  5. Try to leave the formation intact as much as possible. Having holes and tower formations will make it a lot harder to go up. 
  6. After ascending every few steps take the time to build a 3 block formation. This helps to stay in control as much as possible. At Axis Mundi this is mandatory to go up, as you need to build it first, whereas in the first 3 stages it mostly comes down to pulling 1-2 blocks.
  7. Each stage has 2 parts where things get harder (I believe the first one is around lvl 4-5 and the second one is around 7-8). Surviving those usually means you're going to make it, but don't become complacent after surviving it.
  8. Watch some Babel videos from people who already cleared it and try to memorize solutions. Every level (shown in the upper left corner of the screen) has 10 or so formations. The game randomly picks one and drops it in the game, so having memorized solutions will help to deal with unexpected things.
  9. Finally, practice, practice, and practice. When you're done with that, keep practicing some more. Tell yourself you won't clear it within the first 20-30 tries to get into that mindset, which will save frustration. If you do manage to complete it, then nice work. If not, then no worries, because those were practice runs anyway. Also it helps to write down your progress. Seeing how much you progressed will keep your motivation (somewhat) intact.

As a reference, here is how long I spent completing them:

• Altar: 2 days (no idea how many attempts, but I'm guessing 40+ at least)
  • Menhir: 3 days (best guess is 60+ tries)
  • Obelisk: 1 day (13 tries)
  • Axis Mundi: 1 day (6 tries)

Of course difficulty is subjective and it also depends on the random formations.

I hope these help, good luck :D.

I will propably fail to get platinum but great guide for some randome dude from internet:) Thanks.

Since you apparently want me sign myself up for this event, sure: sign me up. I can't say for sure that I'll already have the platinum trophy before 2017, though :P.

I was hoping you'd understand the subtle comment :awesome:. Welcome to the event :highfive:.

I will propably fail to get platinum but great guide for some randome dude from internet:) Thanks.

Your welcome and good luck :D.

• 1 month later...

So lately I've been wanting to play this game again. I got the platinum almost two years ago now, and I loved everything about it. Would I be eligible for this event if I got the plat in a different version of the game? I'm thinking about importing the NA version. Apparently it took me like a week and a half to get the plat originally, so I should be able to get this done by the end of the year. I'm probably quite rusty by now though. xD

I forgot to say but i managed the plat a while back. Yay me  :D

Not the hardest game but definitely has some frustrating sections. Those boss fights were stressful. My number 1 tip would be to play Babel with a partner.

Edited by Gibbo_0113
  • Like 1

I'm glad I was able to revive it! I won't be starting until next week though because I want to get Uncharted 2 finished first.

Sure, that's ok.

So lately I've been wanting to play this game again. I got the platinum almost two years ago now, and I loved everything about it. Would I be eligible for this event if I got the plat in a different version of the game? I'm thinking about importing the NA version. Apparently it took me like a week and a half to get the plat originally, so I should be able to get this done by the end of the year. I'm probably quite rusty by now though. xD

Of course, platting it twice just makes you even more badass :D.

I forgot to say but i managed the plat a while back. Yay me  :D

Not the hardest game but definitely has some frustrating sections. Those boss fights were stressful. My number 1 tip would be to play Babel with a partner.

Nice, congrats :yay:. I'll add you to the Hall of Fame. How would you rank the Babel stages from hardest to easiest?

• Like 1

Of course, platting it twice just makes you even more badass :D.

Awesome! I just ordered the game, so hopefully I get it in a timely fashion. I'm kinda cutting it close here. :giggle:

Hehe, I don't think badass is the right word to describe me, but I appreciate the compliment nevertheless. :blush:

Edited by Undead Wolf

Awesome! I just ordered the game, so hopefully I get it in a timely fashion. I'm kinda cutting it close here. :giggle:

Hehe, I don't think badass is the right word to describe me, but I appreciate the compliment nevertheless. :blush:

Ok, added you to the OP.

Anyone who plats Catherine is a badass ... and a god of Babel too :awesome:.

• Like 1

I'm just baulking at the thought of DL the 10.5Gb file to play it again.

I got stuck on Stage 4 last time, so I think that starting from scratch is a good plan.

Should I inflict this pain on myself?

Yes, the reward is definitely worth it and suffering as a group isn't so bad as suffering by yourself. Everyone here knows exactly what kind of pain you're going through :highfive:.

I've returned to the forums and was greeted by this lovely reminder of my failure on this quest. Looks like December will be checked out exclusively for Catherine and Last Guardian... I don't know if I can conquer that Babel though.

Sure you can, just believe in it ... and have some patience. Btw I like the avatar.

• Like 1

What do you think was the hardest part of the Plat? Thank you for the compliment on the avatar!

For me it was definitely Babel Mode due to the randomness of the stages, thus it requires skill and insight. But don't worry, the story stages (on normal btw) seemed hard at first too as I did these without watching a video to develop some skills, but after the first playthrough it went a lot easier when going for all the other endings. Afterwards I did the hard playthrough while following a video to get gold rewards.