Alternative Game Names

Hi, 

This is a minor thing that I am not too fussed about but I was wondering if for games that have more than one name in a different region to have that on your trophy collection depending on which region you are in,

For example Bully is called Canis Canem Edit in EU and it says Canis Canem Edit on my PS4 trophy collection but Bully on PSN Profiles. 

As far as I know, they are not typed up by anyone in the site but pulled straight from sony servers.

That means if sony puts the name of trophy list "Bully" for Canis Canem Edit, then the name of trophy list will be Bully

They (being Sly and whoever else he's given the power to) has the ability to modify how game titles show up on PSNP. The most conspicuous example is Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, which is shown as Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns on here. To my everlasting annoyance.

As far as I know, they are not typed up by anyone in the site but pulled straight from sony servers.

That means if sony puts the name of trophy list "Bully" for Canis Canem Edit, then the name of trophy list will be Bully

I though that would be the case (like most trophy info), but if I'm not wrong FFXIII Lightning Returns is named Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XII on PSN and the name was edited here to start with FF to stay next to the other FF games..

Said that, I found an odd trophy when I was playing Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, and that's the "World Class SP Skills" trophy, that in the trophy list is named as that, but if you click on it, it's named as World Class Bugs, and this second name is what showed up on my trophy list, but on guides and forums the first name is what usually show up.. so I think there's 2 "English language" lists for this game or something, since it only have 1 trophy list for all regions..

The most conspicuous example is Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, which is shown as Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns on here. To my everlasting annoyance.

Why does it annoy you?

The change means it's really nice if you view trophy lists alphabetically, otherwise it doesn't really affect anything.

Edited by Shadiochao

Why does it you?

The change means it's really nice if you view trophy lists alphabetically, otherwise it doesn't really affect anything.

That obviously depends. If you associate the name "Final Fantasy" with the game, it's great. If you associate "Lightning Returns" with the game, it's an annoyance.

But getting back to the point, if you can edit the titles of the games, why not do so? It should be easy enough to get members to submit the actual titles of games with different names in different regions.

I believe Ratchet: Deadlocked is called Ratchet: Gladiator in Europe.

Most of the Ratchet games have their names changed between America and European.  Europeans don't take too kindly to double entendre and have the subtitles removed.

Aside from removing "Trophies" from games like "Mortal Kombat X Trophies" - I think the integrity of how the game is officially named should be maintained.

Changing Canis Canem Edit to Bully is like changing 魔界戦記ディスガイア5 to Disgaea 5.  The idea between changing a game name in favour of one area of the world is off ill taste towards the one you're essentially removing.

Edited by LastPisTolman
  • Like 1

Why does it annoy you?

Because any time I want to find anything related to the game, like the forum here specifically for it, my first instinct is to look under "L" because the game is titled "Lightning Returns" (on the box, on PSN, in the Store, in any store, and anywhere else in the observable universe), only to get halfway there and have to backtrack to "F" because it's been changed to "Final Fantasy". It's like walking into a library to find a specific Star Trek novel by the author Diane Duane, only to needlessly waste a couple minutes in the "D" section before you find out it's shelved in "S" for "Star Trek". In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, but it's still a minor annoyance because that's not the title of the game, and the advantage of it being in a certain way on a trophy listing is negligible compared to being able to find info on it here in it's logical place.

Edited by damon8r351

Because any time I want to find anything related to the game, like the forum here specifically for it, my first instinct is to look under "L" because the game is titled "Lightning Returns" (on the box, on PSN, in the Store, in any store, and anywhere else in the observable universe), only to get halfway there and have to backtrack to "F" because it's been changed to "Final Fantasy". It's like walking into a library to find a specific Star Trek novel by the author Diane Duane, only to needlessly waste a couple minutes in the "D" section before you find out it's shelved in "S" for "Star Trek". In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, but it's still a minor annoyance because that's not the title of the game, and the advantage of it being in a certain way on a trophy listing is negligible compared to being able to find info on it here in it's logical place.

You can just access the forum from the game page...

Anyway, renaming a game for a specific region would be a problem if said game has only 1 trophy list.

Edited by Doctor Doom

I think Sly's main preference for how game names are displayed is the Default language list name, however if English is an official option to go with that name. Then if English is an option to choose the US (or more popular) version of that if there is a variation in English names.

As far as the topic, I'm not sure if showing different names based on your preference for select games would work out very well across the entire site - it might also end up being a lot of work and be more confusing over anything as far as having to deal with default forum topic names, linking addresses, gaming sessions, guides, etc...  :hmm:

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

You can just access the forum from the game page...

Thanks for telling me something I already knew, and that which creates the same problem: Scrolling down my alphabetical list of games looking for "L" for "Lightning Returns", only to have to backtrack to "F" because "Lightning Returns" is filed under "F" on this website and this website only.

Thanks for telling me something I already knew, and that which creates the same problem: Scrolling down my alphabetical list of games looking for "L" for "Lightning Returns", only to have to backtrack to "F" because "Lightning Returns" is filed under "F" on this website and this website only.

You can use CTRL+F :ninja:

That obviously depends. If you associate the name "Final Fantasy" with the game, it's great. If you associate "Lightning Returns" with the game, it's an annoyance.

But getting back to the point, if you can edit the titles of the games, why not do so? It should be easy enough to get members to submit the actual titles of games with different names in different regions.

It is a FFXIII game, the third one in the series. It should have been called Final Fantasy XIII 3: Lightning Returns IMO.

I think a bigger issue is Dark Chronicle / Dark Cloud II. :P

Edited by MMDE