Should i buy a PS Vita?

riverflex18

I'm still undecided on buying one. I've had PS consoles all my life. I've been doing some research (minimal) and people who talk about the vita games seem to talk about super random ones that Vita players say they've bearly even heard before. Anyway, would you recommend one? Is slim better? And which games wpuld you recommend for trophy hunt?

The Feedback/Suggestions sub-forum is for topics relevant to psnprofiles.com, this topic should have gone under the Playstation Vita sub-forum

I have the original 'Phat' Vita with OLED screen. Things look great on it  but the 2nd generation LCD vita does have its own pros such as 1GB internal memory and the fact that it uses micro usb chargers. ( Phat Vita has its own proprietary bullshit charger that is very faulty)

Edited by A-Brawl3r

Its really a niche Japanese game machine at this point. Very good for jRPGs/visual novels in particular.
If that interests you, you can't go wrong. If not, do some more research into what you can get out of it, there's more to it than what I've said but that'll probably always be its strong point.

I honestly regret buying mine. The system it's self is great just the library of games for the most part wasn't my cup of tea. If you are in to niche kinda games it's a must though.

Edited by Splathew

Like the JRPGs and japanese stuff? Buy it.

Want to erase Japan of the map? don't even think about it.

Is the first warning I give to my acquaintances who only play GTA, Call of Duty

and stuff like that and then they say "I want to buy a Vita but I don't like weeb shit".

Well... FIFA, Killzone, Resistance, Uncharted and... that's it, 4 games for the normie player.

Edited by Katt

I have one - and I've only started using it in the last year because I changed jobs and now gained a two hour commute via train.

I purchased it on release, and apart from Stardust Delta and Virtue's Last Reward - I didn't play it until the train.

As much as I can sing its praises; its a PlayStation console, and if you're sat at your home you can have better experiences on your TV.  If you're away from your TV for extended periods of downtime like me - go for it.

As others have said, it largely depends on what kind of games you want to play.  Want to play old PS1/PSP games, indies, visual novels, or JRPGs on the go? If yes then pull that trigger.  If you're looking for shooters though, it's not really a great call.  Also depends on if you have a PS4 (which I see you do) and want to use remote play.

Personally, the Vita was the best gaming purchase I have made in the past decade and is the system I use the most for a number a reasons.

1) I lost access to my old physical PS1/PSP games years ago and wanted to play a lot of those games again.

2) I can play on my vita on the couch while my wife watches TV.

3) I can remote play through my PS4 while my wife watches Netflix through the PS3 (overkill I know).

4) Crossbuy/play is a great feature.

5) I use PS+ which has given me a massive backlog over the years.

So for me it really comes down to convenience and that the catalog suits my tastes.  If you do decide to get one, I highly recommend getting a set of Vita grips (so it's shaped more like a PS3/4 controller) as it will make it a lot more comfortable for ~$10.

• Like 1

Personally, I love my Vita. I have the original OLED screen version, and 3 years later it's still going strong. I haven't had a single problem with it. The only thing I dislike is the crappy charger you have to use with it (the 2000 Slim model has a much better charging port but the LCD screen is said to be inferior).

As far as game selection, it's a very niche product nowadays with the vast majority of games being JRPG's, Indies, and Visual Novels. The monthly PS+ games do tend to be good (based upon the ones I've played).

I enjoy using mine for Remote Play too. I've had lots of fun remote playing Infamous: Second Son and First Light as well as Driveclub.

There are bunch of PSP and PSone classic games you can download too if you fancy a bit of retro gaming. I'm very proud to have Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, the original Metal Gear Solid, and the Crash Bandicoot series on my Vita :)

It really depends on what you're into and how much money you're willing to spend. Do some research and weigh the pros and cons against each other to help decide :)

If you like JRPGs and Visual Novels than I say that you should buy the PSVita. If you want to get the PSVita to just play AAA games. Then I am going to say don't buy it.

I personally love it because you are able to play PSP games on it as well (even though it is just the digital versions) since I missed on getting the PSP because I had a Nintendo DS at the time. One of the games I love playing is Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron, it so much better than EA's current version, though not as pretty. Also I love JRPG games like Neptunia and Disgaea but the best one has to be Persona 4 Golden. For shooters, I am going to say the best one is Killzone: Mercenary, the multiplayer is pretty active and graphics are great for the PSVita.

While the newer, retail releases are mostly niche JRPG's and visual novels, the Vita is also a great way to play a lot of indie games.  Nearly half of the 50+ Vita games I've played have been indie games, and I prefer keeping these on the small screen and saving my PS4 time for bigger releases when I'm able.

If you enjoy indie games as well and find a benefit in playing them on the go, then perhaps you would find the Vita worthwhile as well even if you aren't into Japanese games.  It really is a fantastic system.