RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

Genshin%252520Impact%252520_Keyart.png

Why I Will Never Play Genshin Impact

This post was inspired by this YouTube video by NeverKnowsBest. It is excellent. 

This is a very strange post. I've made mentions in the past to series and games I'll never play due to my interests or there being oh so many hours in a day. But I've never made a post specifically mentioning why I wouldn't play one specific game. That should tell you how special Genshin Impact is. For those who don't know, Genshin Impact is an action role-playing gacha game. It made over 1 billion dollars in less than 6 months. That was back in March of this year. It set many records on its' ascent in the gaming landscape and I've noticed has only seen further growth since the addition of a PS5 trophy checklist for the game in April 2021, which separated it from its' PS4 trophy list that did not feature a platinum. The PS5 one does. It just crossed the 10,000 owners mark recently which for a free game, is a bit surprising. Naturally, with some time that number will continue to increase, but will it end up hitting the marks of say 100k owners by the end of 2021? I highly doubt it. Perhaps the anime aesthetic and gacha aspects make it less appealing for a casual to jump in than say, Rocket League when it went free to play. But now that I've given it enough background I need to come out and give me reasons why Genshin Impact terrifies me, and will I will never personally play it.

1) I would probably love Genshin Impact. Huh? But you said you...? Yea, yea I know. Hear me out. Genshin Impact has drawn many similarities to being like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Waifu. That sounds delightful to me. I have a Nintendo Switch and BotW. I've never played it. I'll get around to it someday. But being able to play a version of that... WITH TROPHIES? Oh heck yeah that sounds like a fun time. The aesthetics and colorfulness of the game are utterly jaw-dropping. Check out these landscapes. I'd love to dawdle about smashing enemies with the element system and my crew of 4, finding chests, and just hanging out man. This is all to say that I could very easily see myself starting Genshin Impact, and due to the sheer amount of things, there are to do to start the game, absolutely devouring it and quickly sinking in 40-50 hours very quickly. One of the points NKB makes that can make the game so appealing is to due to the nature of gacha, it's a bit like a long-play version of a rogue-like. You will need to adjust your playstyle to the characters you get. You will have a unique experience because of those characters you roll. As someone who loves rogue-likes, that is super appealing. So then, why is that a bad thing? Well....

2) Genshin Impact is NOT pay-to-win. The reason why it's not pay-to-win is very simple. Genshin Impact is single-player with no multiplayer aspect. It's not like FIFA where you can spend your moms' credit card and after $8000 have a full-99 OVR team that gives you an advantage in head-to-head play online. Why do people spend money on anime girls in a single-player game? Cuz waifus. People love characters, man. Humans have enjoyed characters since the time we could tell stories. So when you give one an intriguing backstory and a quirky personality, all of a sudden people are gonna be pulling out their wallets to try and land their new 5* favorite. All of this is fine. While I've heard that the Spiral Abyss IS in fact a bit pay-to-win (and is also required for a trophy so that's actually a potential platinum breaker), Genshin Impact does NOT require that you spend money on it. But with limited ways to earn money in-game after enough hours played - you're eventually going to hit a ceiling. This is even with the generous pity system that forces the game to give you a 5* after oh-so-many rolls without pulling a big one. 

3) Genshin Impact is 1000% one of those games that will keep adding trophies till the end of time. Right now in the 2nd DLC they've added for PS5 it is currently unobtainable since that content is not in the game yet. This is very clearly going to be a "forever" game, and by that, I mean a game with a life-cycle of intended content updates for 3-4+ years minimum. I cannot think of anything worse. I know there are players that love MOBAs or games that go on forever. World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Overwatch, etc... games that you can make your ONE game and pour thousands of hours into. One of the best lines in NKB's video is he's heard from those players that they cannot stand "grinding" in a single-player game since it feels like a waste of time since they'll eventually be done with it, compared to one that goes on infinitely. That sounds like the sort of attitude I want to have with a partner in a romantic relationship (not have flings, only have serious relationships) as opposed to video games. I've heard that once you complete mostly everything in-game, you mostly only log on to complete your dailies. I don't want to have to go log on to progress. I should control when I play the game, not the game control me and my playing habits. I understand some of the attraction to making it part of your routine in your daily life but it is something that does not appeal to me in the slightest. 

Yea... I think this was a productive post. My reasons likely differ greatly from a lot of the reasons people won't play this game. Some common reasons I've heard given is that people don't want to support a game by a Chinese developer due to the actions of the Chinese government. Not really a factor for me personally. I've heard some people say they hate gambling and the toxic elements that can apply to whales and people spending thousands of dollars on one video game. Not a factor for me either. I have NEVER spent money in-game on any video game. I've never bought FIFA points for Ultimate Team, and I've been playing FIFA since... 2011? I can control myself, and while those who can't should avoid this game, it doesn't influence me to not play it. I've also people who hate anime / anime tropes avoid it like the plague. I don't love anime, but I can stomach it for a good time. Ultimately, I'm avoiding it since I'd probably enjoy this game, and while it's not pay-to-win, I don't want to invest the 100+ hours in a game that it will take to get the plat only for it to be endlessly updated on my trophy checklist. 

• Like 4

I always like reading your posts about random topics like this, makes your checklist unique not being focused on just game reviews.

54 minutes ago, realm722 said:

I should control when I play the game, not the game control me and my playing habits. I understand some of the attraction to making it part of your routine in your daily life but it is something that does not appeal to me in the slightest. 

I've played a lot of ultimate team over the last 5 years and this was a big problem for me especially from fifa 17 through 19, I never bought fifa points as I feel they are awful value for money but I put a ton of time into grinding the game every year to build my team up (which arguably isn't any better if you have the mindset of time = money), FOMO is a big thing in games with daily content and you can easily end up addicted by wanting to keep up with everyone else.

I started to feel burned out the last 2 years and I quit fut 20 in March last year, fut 21 in January this year and have no interest in fut 22. Honestly these games aren't as pay to win as people think, unless you are playing at the pro level against other pros you can get near enough the same amount of wins using a cheap team of overpowered players as you would using the best team in the game which makes all the time and money people put into it every year even more pointless and I'm glad I've finally broken out of the habit.

I don't know much about Genshin but anything with a strong focus on gacha/lootbox/microtransactions turns me off knowing the addiction they can cause, sure there are a lot of people who can control themselves and treat logging onto the same game every single day as part of a fun little routine but there's far too many people that can't control themselves and it's something that needs a lot more regulation.

• Like 1

Great write-up on Genshin Impact. I more or less agree with the entire post you've made.

Number 3 is the exact reason I am also avoiding Genshin Impact. I'm almost certain I would enjoy the game, an Action-RPG full of waifus is 100% right up my alley. I know as soon as I pop my first trophy, though, I'm locked in for possibly years to come.

I know some people that love the constant addition of DLC trophies, because they really love the game, and I think that's great, but for me the thought of having to come back to a game I already "finished" several times over to maintain my 100% sounds like a nightmare. That is 100% a me problem, and not a problem with the game itself, but it is what it is.

I've already heard time estimates for this game in the 300-400 hour range, and I feel like by the time it's all said and done, Genshin is going to be the "weeb" version of ESO, where you're looking upwards of 1000 hours for a finished 100% list. As nice as the game might be, I'd really rather focus my time on getting as much variety as I can in my trophy list.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, realm722 said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Game: Islanders

You have this incredible knack for stumbling upon excellent under-the-radar games. When I bought Cities last year, it was because of an inexplicable SNES Sim City itch that popped up out of nowhere.. Cities of course was so overwhelmingly sophisticated that, like trying to flirt with somebody staggeringly out of my league, I quickly decided to cut my losses and step away. I'm giving it another go, but this looks INSANELY up my alley and might end up coming first. Methinks Islanders will get in line behind Afterparty?

Thanks, man! And as always, great review!

• Like 1

H2x1_NSwitchDS_Deployment.jpg

Game: Deployment

Analysis: I bought Deployment for $0.74 back at the start of August 2021. I am happy to report that for under $1, this game is well worth your money!

In a continued feeble effort to try and diversify my gaming catalog and actually play games that don't have a platinum, Deployment fulfilled my monthly quota of completing one game that is a mere 100%. My qualifiers for this are that since it's a 100%, I typically don't want the games to be too challenging (not much rarer than <10%) as well as only taking a handful of hours at maximum to complete. This has led to a number of duds this year (Act it Out!, Beyond Eyes, Armikrog) but Deployment thankfully breaks the mold and is actually a fun, quick, twitchy robotic shooter game. It is exactly what I'm looking for in these 100%'s. Quirky genres that I probably wouldn't wanna check out for a full game (say... Laser League) but good to spend an afternoon with. The game is incredibly straightforward. You pick whatever robot type you want (there are 5 options, my favorite with Rocketeer) and you must go around playing the opposing offline bots (there IS a multiplayer mode but I did not even bother trying to find a match as given the 250 owners this game has on PSNProfiles, let's be honest, we both know the end result would be). You go around capturing different systems, shooting down the opposing 3 robots and their mini-helpers, you'll die a lot, and given the match is only 3 minutes long you try and rack up as high a score as possible before the time runs out. Good high-paced fun that does not wear out its' welcome in the slightest. 

Would I recommend it? YES. Hell, even at the "full price" of $0.99 the game is worth it. If you're doing this for just the trophies, it's relatively simple. Do the tutorial and die once, then back out to the main menu and add the upgrades found in this TrueAchievements post. You'll go from being unable to survive more than 1-2 robots to breezing through and get that trophy down. Then play a bunch of offline bot matchups with the different classes getting 10 kills each match. I did these all on my first go. Get a few of the miscellaneous ones (only get one boost, get 15 boosts, capture all systems) before finally having the last trophy. "Don't need any of that to win" which requires you to finish in 1st place with the highest score WITHOUT capturing any systems. This trophy took me just under an hour to complete, but most of the reason is because of bad strategy. Pick a robot you enjoy. Some like the Pyro since it has healing capabilities for some of its' upgrades, others recommended the sniper, but I felt like I did the best-balanced damage with the Rocketeer so play with different ones if you're struggling greatly with one of them. The key is this - DO NOT ENGAGE FULL HEALTH ENEMY BOTS. Let them fight each other, and then jump in and snipe into the room to steal the kill. No matter your skill, you're going to get whittled down by the opposing 3 bots if you're constantly trying to take down each of them every time they appear. By running around, picking up boosts whenever available, and being judicious with when you decide to go all-out and attack, you'll get this trophy in no time. Here was my winning match where I absolutely dominated after getting blasted and losing 60ish to 90+ a number of matches beforehand. It took me just 1 hour and 31 minutes to earn the 35.86% rarity 100% completion. 

Pand Score: 6.2 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 2.2 / 10

• Like 2

Hmm, I think I remember seeing the guys at PlaystationAccess playing this game back when I still sporadically watched their content ? Definitely looks like a game that could be a lot of fun as a party game for an evening with friends! 

Nice write-up, as always :) 

6 hours ago, realm722 said:

Analysis: I bought Stikbold! as part of the Instant Indie Collection Volume #3 for $4.99 in early August 2021. I have zero interest in playing the other two games that form part of the package (10 Second Ninja X and Action Henk), but the game itself was on sale for $5 as well at this time so yanno... may as well get it as part of a bundle.

Ooooh, why not? They are both really fun! Especially Action Henk... That is also one of those games where, despite the limited gameplay options, it still has pretty deep mechanics that need to be learned. 

10SNX is a fun and pretty short game as well. Nothing spectacular, but a pretty nice concept and great execution! 

What is it that makes you not wanna play either of them? I had a good time with both :) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Ooooh, why not? They are both really fun! Especially Action Henk... That is also one of those games where, despite the limited gameplay options, it still has pretty deep mechanics that need to be learned. 

10SNX is a fun and pretty short game as well. Nothing spectacular, but a pretty nice concept and great execution! 

What is it that makes you not wanna play either of them? I had a good time with both :) 

Honestly the biggest drawback for me is the sheer amount of time needed to pour into a 100% without the payoff in a platinum. I'm not one of those people who refuses to play a game without a plat, and I've played tricky lengthier 100% games (Sonic Mania, FEZ, Risk of Rain, Tiny Brains) but it's such a daunting task with those low percentages. I'll admit I went back and read your reviews of both games and I'd prolly try out 10SNX since it appears it can be done in a matter of days since the hardest part is getting the proper strategies done rather than execution. If I have ever have a dry spell where the games in my catalog are running low, and nothing on sale interests me - I'll prolly eventually cave and check them out. Thank you for your input though, your comment took them from "probably never" to "definitely not now but maybe some time in the distant future". ;)

Songbird-symphony-header.jpg

Game: Songbird Symphony

Analysis: I bought Songbird Symphony for $6.80 in late August 2021. This is the rare game where I will add a SPOILER warning. You've been warned.

Songbird Symphony is a rhythm game created by Singaporean game developer, Joysteak Studios. It follows the journey of Birb, a lost bird in search of a place where he truly belongs as he doesn't know who his real parents are and in the meantime has been fostered by his uncle. It explores the journey of him seeking out the Wise Owl and exploring different landscapes of the world, becoming familiar with the different birds that learn there, and with their help learn different musical notes that will unlock the MacGuffin needed for Birb and the Owl to find his parents! Does that sound like an intriguing pitch to you? It sure did to me, and my goodness this game is beautiful. There are disco penguins. An exclusive club/bar you can get into. Listen to the spectacular Owl Opera. But before I hype up this game to those who are discovering it for the first time, I would say comfortably this is a children's game. That does NOT mean I think adults can't enjoy it. I enjoyed my time with it. The greatest types of entertainment for children are those that kids can enjoy at face value while still offering some level of depth and meaning to adults watching it along with them. But looking at it from this lens is extremely important to explain some of the points I'm going to make in the next paragraph. 

Let's talk about a few things that left me wanting more from the game. 1) The rhythm beats are unbelievably hard to actually complete correctly. What? But you just said this is a kids' game? Yes, it's a kids game in the sense that no matter how god-awful you can make each song sound with your goofing up, all the opposing birds will be like "holy cuckoo you're such an amazing singer your rhythm is unstoppable!" even if you don't land a single note correctly. This is a common issue I've run into with rhythm games. In PaRappa the Rapper Remastered, the beats and when you need to click don't match up with the symbols. In Patapon, it was EXTREMELY difficult for me and it required me to use headphones in order to actually beat it. The only rhythm game that has gotten everything down perfectly is Sayonara Wild Hearts. It's disappointing since the rare times you can sync up with the melody creates some brilliant orchestral moments. But rather than sound as clean as a run like this, you often have that miserable HONK sound distract you from the setpiece. I will add that if the game had a trophy that demanded A or even S-ranks - I may have discovered it’s actually fairer than I realized on my 1st playthrough. But with zero incentive to do that, I’ll never know. 2) Everything outside of these rhythm battles is average at best gameplay-wise. There are some "puzzles" across the different lands you'll be exploring but they're super simple rhythm inputs. Obviously, I wouldn't expect there to be combat in a game like this, but the collectibles involving the musical notes/feathers were just aight as an additional thing given how linear the game already is. 

This is where I'm going to pivot and make a surprising statement. I really enjoyed the story in Songbird Symphony. I know, right? ME of all people enjoying a story? I covered this a few weeks ago. Most stories in video games are trashcan tier. If it's a smaller game with good gameplay, I'll largely completely ignore it and just take it as flavoring that facilitates the thing I actually enjoy. The gameplay. But Songbird Symphony breaks the mold of being the game I honestly enjoy more for its' story than the rhythm mechanics. It is extremely easy to pitch. A lost, young, hopeful bird wants to discover who his parents are. He trusts in an elderly figure to guide him in order to attain what he seeks. He has a companion in Egbert (that egg in the bottom right-hand corner) who he protects from bullies while exploring Gallus Palace (a kingdom run by chickens). Throughout his travels, he makes new friends such as the gigantic Cassowary, Cassie (a sweet gigantic girl bird who's sad cuz other birds won't stop laughing at her). Along the way, he experiences excitement, companionship, disappointment, betrayal, salvation, and redemption. Like, legit man - I loved all the story beats and I did NOT see the twist of the game coming. (Only click that link if you wanna be spoiled)

Would I recommend it? MAYBE. It's such a shame that the actual rhythm mechanics aren't finely tuned enough that this could have reached a high 7.0 tier for me. The input icons just move way too fast once you get beyond the first few challenges, and when you start doing well - the game floods your screen with so many different moving objects only those who practice over and over again will be able to achieve an A or S-rank. I kinda wish the game had asked for a minimum B-rank just to force me to play a few of the challenges over again. But even with that caveat, the actual songs themselves are super memorable. With the bonus of the story being fundamentally solid in my eyes (it's not perfect, some of the characters give reasons for their actions that are iffy at best but at least the game TRIES to explain why they acted the way they did), I think anyone looking for a leisure experience through an adorable protagonist's eyes is gonna have a good time with this one. On a final note, the trophies are extremely simple. Only two are missable and it's relating to collectibles in the final area you arrive at before the game says you've reached the point of no return. Use this for aid. I earned Songbird Symphony's 44.22% rarity platinum in 3 days and 2 hours. It is going to be quite a while before my next game review after banging 3 out in 3 straight days since I'm gonna venture for a plat in the <2% range. Hope to see y'all on the other side.

Panda Score: 6.65 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 1.7 / 10 (the actual game is tough to earn high ranks, but the trophies demand 0 excellence in that regard)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 10:28 PM, realm722 said:

Bonus Note - I am playing Ash of Gods; Redemption and I'm fairly certain the word count on this next review is going to be utterly mammoth. I don't go out of my way to write long reviews. But if the game deserves it, I'm going to write about it. It's an absurdly underplayed game so hopefully, my review encourages some to try it out. I still have a number of ultra rare's left to earn so while I may end up despising the game by the end, the early returns are very good. Aside from that, the Dolphins are 1-0 which is good even if I think we're 90% likely due for a loss against Buffalo since Josh Allen always carves us up. Talk to y'all soon!

I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying this game and look forward to your review! I also enjoyed it quite a bit. I think it can be done in as little as three playthroughs provided you have a couple of well placed saves. Did it take you long to get used to the controls?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Briste said:

I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying this game and look forward to your review! I also enjoyed it quite a bit. I think it can be done in as little as three playthroughs provided you have a couple of well placed saves. Did it take you long to get used to the controls?

Hah yea I'm gonna need to do a full 4. ? I have the very intimidating "Heartless" trophy left which I have to start a completely fresh one to do and I'm gonna be cackling like a psychopath while doing it after generally liking all these characters now having to act like a complete monster. After that, all I have left is the 3 trophies for Iron Mode, which will also require a completely separate playthrough. I'll end up needing to do 4 since I wanted to do a blind one for my initial and I looked at 0 trophies. Given how much I've enjoyed the game, I'm okay with that. I'm really hoping to observe the game one last time on the Iron Mode run just so it's very fresh when I write my review. 

As for the controls, I HATED them at the start. They were insanely frustrating and it affected my decision-making to the point where I went out of my way to avoid fights just because I hated the battle system. Slowly, like... halfway thru my 1st playthrough, things clicked. The game got noticeably better for me and I'm gonna touch on that in the review. The game is unpolished as they come while still being functional. But if you dig these sorts of games like you and I do, you're willing to stomach a lot to bask in these environments and characters. 

18 hours ago, realm722 said:

I have been stuck in the Ash of Gods vortex for 2 weeks+ now. Rare is it when I can truly say that about a game. Some other ones that fall into this category of completely absorbing my life are FF7R, Hollow Knight, Persona 5, and Dead Cells. I have loved it. This game is NOT perfect. I just listed many reasons for why it could be polished that much further and made into a sophisticated diamond. But asking that of a 12-man indie studio would be cruel. I think AoG is absolutely magnificent for someone who has experienced and adored the TBS trilogy and is looking for something more. You may look at it with a judgemental eye like I did at the beginning (the father/daughter connection is there with Thorn/Gleda and Rook/Alette, dredges = abominations, stowaway prince who needs to be protected in Ho/Ludin, the combat system, the way the characters talk to one another in dialogue scenes) but there is so much soul to this game that anyone calling it a "ripoff" or a copy is exposing their ignorance to anyone who has taken the time of day to bask in this game's universe. Despite all of it's faults, this is one of my favorite games I have had the privlledge of playing in 2021 and honestly cracks my top games of All-Time on PS4. Thank you to @Briste for letting me soak in it's glory.

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience with the game. I got sucked into that same Vortex, and once I worked through the same control issues you did, it was such a great experience. My first run through was blind too and I did not make good choices lol I killed Reet because I was going to play Lo Pheng like the emotionless killing machine he was....I was very surprised on my second run when I saw how much more of the story there was by keeping her alive. I didn't use a guide, but I did check out the trophies ahead of time and was going to try for the evil run first without using Gleda and just being ruthless. I ended up not saving Makt and tried to flee when approaching the castle lol It was like the worst possible choices the whole way through. It was a cool experience, but I needed 4+ playthroughs as well.

While I like having the UR plat, I wouldn't mind losing it if more people decided to give this game a legitimate chance. Your review was excellently fair and I echo virtually all of your points. Well done!

Edited by Briste
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, realm722 said:

So what are my thoughts on the PS5 now that it's finally here? It's pretty frigging dope man! I have been using my Day 1 PS4 for several thousands of hours and honestly didn't understand many of the complaints that had been levied against it. Yea the menus weren't the fastest, but it did its job. I never felt the need to upgrade to a PS4 Slim or PS4 Pro as I just didn't see the value in upgrading. I thought those designs were moreso for aficionados or people who hadn't bought a console yet and just wanted the latest one. Well after dabbling in the PS5 menus, good LORD is this thing fast. I love how the store and news feed is actually baked into the main home screen. This is a far cry from the PS4 store which you always held your breathe slightly thinking your console had crashed when launching the store. I dig the gigantic icons for the games in the "Game Library" section. I went through all the settings options which feels like a thing you largely do when you first get a brand new console and then never look at again for the remainder of its lifespan. It was still fun though! 

Congrats on finally getting one! :D 

I feel very similarly... I never upgraded my OG PS4, never felt like I needed to since my only issue with it was how loud it could get when playing something like Nioh, for some reason. 

Now with the PS5... man, it's just the superior experience! Even if no PS5 games were coming out, it'd still be worth the purchase. 

Some people are complaining about details such as Themes not being available, horizontal trophy lists (which are now vertical again) and other minor things that I honestly couldn't care less about. The console is amazing and delivers everything it promised, and that for the ridiculous low retail price it goes for... Incredible :) 

Oh, and I just adore that Dual Sense.. Daaaamn is it a good controller! 

Enjoy! Looking forward to reading about your experience with your first proper PS5 game ?

• Like 2

Who would have thought that sharing stories of how people ::bought:: their current generation consoles might make for an interesting read - but somehow it does, strange times indeed :D And I also find it amusing that the process of getting a PS5 is essentially similar in different parts of the world - when I decided to start looking around for one in August, I also started following a website which lists current deals on gaming-related products, and when a batch of slightly revised consoles hit the stores in early September, I was quick enough to secure one for myself. But...

56 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

and that for the ridiculous low retail price it goes for...

I can't quite agree with that statement. I also don't want to say that the price is steep, but given that it's the same everwhere, it obviously feels higher (or lower) depending where you live. Additionally, in Poland, you are forced to buy the consoles bundled with additional controllers, fully-priced games etc. (next to impossible to buy just the console itself), so on average you have to shell out at least 700$, while the average gross salary is currently 1500$/month. Still much cheaper than buying a gaming computer or even a flagship smartphone, but definitely an expense to be reckoned with ;)

But I fully agree, the jump from PS4 (in my case Pro, but still) to PS5 is huge :D And - fingers crossed - I have yet to actually hear it ? My wife no longer complaining about the noise of the console alone fully justifies the purchase!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, det_gittes said:

I can't quite agree with that statement. I also don't want to say that the price is steep, but given that it's the same everwhere, it obviously feels higher (or lower) depending where you live. Additionally, in Poland, you are forced to buy the consoles bundled with additional controllers, fully-priced games etc. (next to impossible to buy just the console itself), so on average you have to shell out at least 700$, while the average gross salary is currently 1500$/month. Still much cheaper than buying a gaming computer or even a flagship smartphone, but definitely an expense to be reckoned with ;)

Fair enough! You are absolutely right. I was indeed comparing what you get when you purchase a PS5, to what you would need to spend to get a quality gaming computer, for example. But I'm also talking from the perspective of someone living in Switzerland, which obviously differs significantly in terms of minimum wages / average salaries!

Doesn't change my statment, but it makes it very subjective, thanks for pointing it out! :)   

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

I honestly don't feel I'm missing out by not getting a PS5 this year, or late last year. Real life comes first, and I'm currently in a situation where I can't buy much of anything, let alone a new console.

The rule I set myself ever since the early Xbox 360 days is wait a couple years after the console release date. I bought my PS4 right after Batman Arkham Knight came out and I couldn't of been happier picking it up when I did. This time around.... I don't see the jump as that significant. All throughout my childhood, my teenage years and leading up to when I hit my mid 20s, I was always fascinated by what modern consoles could do. The jump from PS3 to PS4 was noticeable, as was the jump from PS2 to PS3 before that. Since the mid life cycle of the PS4, I have been increasingly indifferent to the direction AAA gaming has been going and it's indulgence on putting graphics over gameplay. I read somewhere that a developer who worked on Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart admitted that there will be more changes to quality of life improvements, rather than innovating the gaming world like it was in the past. When I get the time and money, which likely won't be until next year at the earliest, then I will gladly play Ratchet & Clank on the PS5. But right now, that simply isn't an option for me.

Personally, I don't like the PS5 interface. I think it could be better. The PS4 interface I felt was a huge step forward over the PS3 interface, which is slow and cumbersome. The PS5 interface doesn't look right to me. Some people on this website like it, I don't particularly do.

I check my local Best Buy and Walmart every few weeks and ask the employees there if there are any PS5 shipments. Most of the time, they are completely sold out, and when they are available, somebody is already buying it the minute I walk into the gaming section of the stores.

I cannot be asked to pay $700 - 800 for the PS5, because that's the price tag I have to pay if I want it right now. It's sold out everywhere where it is listed at $499.

With real life getting in the way, looking after a nephew and niece, taking care of my older family, and my declining interest in gaming as a whole, I don't feel as bummed out by not having a PS5 as some of you guys are.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 2:51 AM, Arcesius said:

Oh, and I just adore that Dual Sense.. Daaaamn is it a good controller! 

On 10/1/2021 at 4:08 AM, det_gittes said:

-snip-

Thank you both! I will add that the controller took me a few hours to get used to but I absolutely love it now. I guess after having used the PS4 for 7 straight years it took me a little bit to adjust to the feel of the new one but I'm very glad Sony did not cheap out on its quality. Definitely feels nice and sturdy and I am very much looking forward to the first game that I play that takes advantage of some of the unique features on the triggers particularly.

On 10/2/2021 at 0:59 AM, AJ_Radio said:

With real life getting in the way, looking after a nephew and niece, taking care of my older family, and my declining interest in gaming as a whole, I don't feel as bummed out by not having a PS5 as some of you guys are.

Sorry to hear that AJ. I mean, it's entirely normal. Just looking at your profile you've been trophy hunting consistently since November 2014 and have completed over 400 games on your account. I imagine we all have a ceiling limit. I hope things go well for you IRL and if that passion hits you again in the future you'll be reinvigorated with the same zeal to enjoy gaming again. 

• Like 1

On 02/10/2021 at 5:02 AM, realm722 said:

Game: In Between

A puzzle game in the vein of The Swapper you say....

sold!

That's a good write up man - gave me everything I need to know, and as a puzzle game kinda guy, I'm never not looking for an indie puzzle platformer! ?

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 6:05 PM, realm722 said:

Sorry to hear that AJ. I mean, it's entirely normal. Just looking at your profile you've been trophy hunting consistently since November 2014 and have completed over 400 games on your account. I imagine we all have a ceiling limit. I hope things go well for you IRL and if that passion hits you again in the future you'll be reinvigorated with the same zeal to enjoy gaming again. 

August 2015 to be exact, but I fully understand. 

On 10/5/2021 at 2:35 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

That's a good write up man - gave me everything I need to know, and as a puzzle game kinda guy, I'm never not looking for an indie puzzle platformer! 1f44d.png

Hah thank you! I think giving "if you enjoy this, you'll probably enjoy this" recommendations is always a good idea since it can help give people a feel for what to expect. Sometimes it can be woefully offbase (I had someone once recommend me Sundered because it was "like" Dead Cells. As someone who loves Dead Cells, that person is WRONG)

I'll also be a jerk and say pls nobody reply to this thread for a moment. I am dropping my 150th plat review and I want it to be the 1st post on Page #15 :D (good lord I can't believe we're at 350+ replies now)

• Like 1