PS3 Update 4.30

HeySumbode

Via the PS Blog EU/US

Next Tuesday, October 23rd, we will be releasing a new system software update for PlayStation 3 (version 4.30). With this update we have made several changes to how Trophies are displayed on your PlayStation 3. The Trophy Collection will now reside under PlayStation Network on the XMB. Trophies that you have earned playing PlayStation Vita games are now displayed on your PlayStation 3. You will also be able to see your Trophy level and progress towards the next level while viewing your trophy collection.

6lnFa.jpg

By the beginning of November 2012, we will retire the services available through the Life with PlayStation application. In conjunction with its retirement, we will stop offering the Life with PlayStation application to new users with the 4.30 update. This includes the conclusion of our participation with Stanford University’s Folding@home, a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding and studying the causes of a variety of diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s as well as various cancers.

We’d like to thank the more than 15 million users that have participated in the program since it started on PS3 in 2007. PS3 users have donated in total more than 100 million computation hours to the Folding@home project to date, and as a result, contributed greatly to Stanford University’s Alzheimer ’s disease research. Considering the contribution PS3 has made to the project, we decided to retire it as a result of discussions with Stanford University.

Vijay Pande, Folding@home research lead at Stanford University, had this to say about your contributions:

“The PS3 system was a game changer for Folding@home, as it opened the door for new methods and new processors, eventually also leading to the use of GPUs.

We have had numerous successes in recent years. Specifically, in a paper just published in the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, we report on tests of predictions from earlier Folding@home simulations, and how these predictions have led to a new strategy to fight Alzheimer’s disease.

The next steps, now underway at Stanford, are to take this lead compound and help push it towards a viable drug. It’s too early to report on our preliminary results there, but I’m very excited that the directions set out in this paper do appear to be bearing fruit in terms of a viable drug (not just a drug candidate).”

Edited by HeySumbode
  • Like 1

HEEEEELLLLLL YEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!! :D:):yay::highfive::awesome::lol:B):holy::P:D^_^xD Does this illustrate my point? My day has literally been made! I have been wanting them to cross the Vita and PS3 trophies on the PS3 FOREVER!!!! I am so happy that this is now becoming reality. Thanks for this FANTASTIC update. I am truly stoked.

• Like 4

sorry for my question, but what is the life with playstation and folding@HOME? I don't know what those things are, sorry for my ignorance

Life With Playstation and Folding@Home were essentially the same thing. LWP has a few other features, but Folding was the main draw.

Folding@Home is a project that uses a PC's spare computing power to help research different proteins for diseases - such as cancer and Alzheimer's. It allows for these proteins to have their life cycles simulated and what not - something that could take a normal supercomputer years to complete. This project allows them to be completed in mere days.

They released it on the PS3 to take advantage of the system's power - you went to "Life with Playstation" and started up Folding@Home, then just left your PS3 on and the app did the rest.

It's made MASSIVE leaps in the medical industry, and allowed for the development of drugs and other treatments for serious diseases.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-main#ntoc2

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Science

Edited by LegendaryWolf
  • Like 1

we also need a overhaul of the XMB.

What could they possibly change, other than maybe consolidating a few categories into one? It serves it's purpose, and works like it should. You don't spend a lot of time on it, and it doesn't need to be fancy - it's already hard to use in game due to the system's RAM limitations [To the point that any custom icons get reverted back to default] - anything more would render it useless.

There's a reason the XMB hasn't really changed since the Japan only PSX [A PS2 with built in Hard drive and DVR capabilities] - it works.

The store is a different story - you spend a good chunk of time in there, and it's purpose is to try and get you to buy stuff. If it's not attractive, or it's difficult to navigate, it can end up costing sales. The store needed a revamp - the XMB doesn't.

The XMB is just a gateway - you use it to start up your game, or access other features - features that often have their own UIs. Honestly, the XMB is the best UI of all three consoles - The Wii's could use some better organization, and the 360's is just loaded with endless ads. The XMB is well organized, doesn't blind you with needless information or ads, and is highly customizable - what more do you really want out of it?

Edited by LegendaryWolf
  • Like 1

That looks very nice!

As for Life with Playstation, I totally forgot this existed. I used it about 5 times when I first got my ps3 and didn't use it since.

wait.. am I the only one that noticed trophies are now under network? no longer under game?!?!??! WHY!?!?!??

Why in God's green earth are trophies being moved from under 'game' to 'network?!' Last time I checked you play games to unlock trophies, so, like, you know, having them under the bracket of 'game' makes a whole lot of sense.

They are under "Playstation Network" - not just "Network". Two different categories.

You'll see your trophies as normal... :)

They're just moving it to the "playstation network" side of the xmb, once the update is live.

Coolies, just making sure. Seems like a bit of a pointless move to me, especially because it makes more sense to have 'Trophies' under the 'Game' category.

They are under "Playstation Network" - not just "Network". Two different categories.

Okay, you essentially skipped over my point; I know they're two different categories, Mr. Wolf, but for the sake of argument I decided to refer to the bracket of 'Playstation Network' as 'Network.' Fucking sue me. Besides, it simply doesn't matter how you word it - doesn't change the fact moving trophies to any category other than 'Game' is moronic.

i welcome the change, but i really wish sony would let us delete unwanted trophies. I think i have about four 0% and im dying to get rid of them, we also need a overhaul of the XMB.

Deleting trophies will make trophy tracking sites like PSNP pointless. If people start doing that we are not going to know the real ratities of the trophies and which are the hardest and easiest trophies to obtain. Deleting trophies is the worst thing SONY can think of in my opinion.

Deleting trophies will make trophy tracking sites like PSNP pointless. If people start doing that we are not going to know the real ratities of the trophies and which are the hardest and easiest trophies to obtain. Deleting trophies is the worst thing SONY can think of in my opinion.

The deleting of trophies was only in reference to the games where no trophies have been earned (as the 360 allows you to remove games with no achievements earned).

• Like 1