PSVR - do NOT buy!

antithesis

But PS3 also isn't console of remasters =D

With PS4, it's more than possible there will be remasters of VR games =D

about the VR I guess you're right, but let's just say the PS VR flopped way too early, I don't think we'll gonna see all these VR exclusive will gonna be played by using only the DS4 and the TV.

I think the ps3 games that require a Move controller that will be a lot better with the VR on ps4 should be.

Medieval moves. ( you still need one or two move controllers )

Sports Championship 1, 2. ( same as above )

Datura. ( one move controller )

the Fight. ( two move controllers or avoid this game )

other games where the Move controller is optional.

the Unfinished Swan. ( a dual shock 4 is enough )

Master Reboot. ( same as above )

these are the games that comes to my mind at the moment, there's also Sorcery but I don't think it will be mind blowing if ported to PS VR, since the game is basically a third person shooter built heavily around motion controls the VR will only gonna be used as a camera angles on the game at this point.

Read up on the accommodation-convergence reflex sometime. It's the process by which your eyes focus on near and distant objects to provide binocular vision. The gist is that your eyes will turn inwards a certain angle and the lenses will flex a certain way depending on the distance of the object from you, so that the image is focused correctly. VR headset displays are physically close to you, but display objects that are distant. Your eyes are trying to focus on a seemingly distant object that is actually physically close to you, hence the dissonance for some people. I'm squeamish about things fucking with my eyes enough as it is, so this doesn't change my mind about the peripheral. It's an adequate explanation of why the display looks the way it does for some people.

I've confirmed both Target and Amazon.com will accept returns within their existing return policies for Electronics items concerning the PS VR. While I need to wait for some more income and a couple titles that really tickle my fancy, I put my nose on my phone and can't see any pixels so maybe I don't have the same vision issues as ant1.

Keep in mind the pixel density of a modern mobile phone screen is significantly higher than 1080p. You'll need to do it on a 1080p HDTV to get a similar screen-door effect. What you're looking for is the visible pixels and gaps rather than the projected image. If you can break through that barrier, you may enjoy PSVR, if you can also ignore the blurring, smudging, bleeding, warping, screen-rounding, low resolution and low-quality textures. The last will be addressed on PS4 Pro, hopefully so too will some of the others. But low screen resolution and visible pixels won't, we'll need 4K for that.

Anyway, thanks for the warning. You started with DO NOT BUY, but then said "I'd fork out $250 for it at the drop of a hat". I'll take that as VR is still viable and will catch on, but like all new technologies, 1st gen will be expensive (to recoup costs) and then the price will fall and technology will slowly improve and it'll stick around. Had you said there is no amount of money that would be worth it, I'd question your interest in new technology and games, but I see that the current VR is still worth it at a certain value. That's a great sign.

I am absolutely not anti-VR. I just didn't feel PSVR was a good value proposition at $550 AU ($400 US). I would however pay $250 AU (less than $200 US) for the experience I received. Given PS4 Pro costs the same as PSVR, it offered far better value for money, so I moved the cash to that instead.

If the current-gen 960 x 1080p screens with enormous pixels and highly visible lines between them are replaced with much higher density 4K screens and the Pro (or PS5 by that time) has the grunt to drive them, I'll jump back in without a shadow of a doubt.

I just think people should do a bit more research. There are plenty of PSVR reviews out there both positive and negative, and I can guarantee pretty much all of them spent more time with it than this guy. That makes their opinions hold more weight to me. If after doing the research, you decide it's not worth it, then that's totally fine. I feel the same way. I just think people should take everything into consideration and not just the ramblings of one forum poster.

First impressions count and they're formed instantly. I believe getting through that period is only making concessions about the quality of PSVR. Reviewers are paid to stick it out and attempt to at least offer some objective pros and cons. I tried, I tweaked, I played games and movies and I couldn't shake that "This is what I paid $550 for?" feeling when I was shooting for a "Wow!" that never came.

Everyone says PSVR is blurry and no-one can disagree that the screens are low-res and the games use low-quality textures. If you're satisfied by that, not happy but will concede that this is current-gen VR so deal with it, then buy a PSVR. I'm not that guy. I'll wait for 4K, which I don't care about at all for desktop / couch gaming because I'm more than content with 1080p, but it's a necessity with a screen attached to your face.

Just thought i would post this as i have not seen it mentioned anywhere else but with so many posts please forgive me if it has been posted before.

On the PS4 dash there is a new option in...

Settings > Devices > PlayStation VR

From here you can tweak and fine tune quite a few settings including eye alignment for the VR headset and various other things that may help someone.

Did that. My camera was also positioned correctly. And thanks for being non-confrontational for once in this thread. 

I can appreciate you get used to the less than ideal screen over time, but I wasn't prepared to compromise to the extent Sony required in terms of image quality and resolution. The PSVR is a giant leap backwards in visual fidelity compared to playing on a regular 1080p TV or monitor screen. Don't take my word for it, demo a PSVR and judge whether or not you can live with that yourselves.

Yes, I'll miss out on the VR games coming down the pipe, but I can do without another batch of on-rail motion-control shooters that lose track if you move or rotate out of their detection zones, which is a serious problem for 360 degree VR with only one tracking device.

VR tech is pretty much limited to sandbox environments and slow movement (which works for horror) given its propensity to induce vomit when self-propulsion is added to the mix. I don't suffer from that affliction, but many do and it is a primary consideration for game developers, so those are the games they'll produce. Speed also equates to more blur, a problem Drive Club VR demonstrates with aplomb.

As repeated ad infinitum, don't take my word for it, get out there and try the PSVR, research the games you want to play and be aware of the pitfalls. I'm fulfilling the last requirement and suggest you dig around for more negative reviews for a balanced perspective when walking into that shop to drop your coins on the counter.

You're a fool if you accept any product on face value, always search for "product X review" and "product X problem" before purchase. Unless of course that's not an option for day one pre-orders with zero ability to demo units beforehand, which is why I posted that big old warning headline to fellow pre-orderers.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

After 13 odd pages of this repetitive dribble, I think you guys can stop reactivating the subject matter.

Ant made his stance, and he has many valid points based on my own experiences. Somehow though, I've been receiving the wow factor from what I've played. Turning 180 to see stuff behind me is a joy.

Still, this will be a one day a week exercise. Spent most of yesterday at work feeling "uncalibrated".

• Like 1

So I sold my VR headset tonight on gumtree for £400 which was the headset + rush of blood. The reason for doing this was not that I didn't think it isn't a really good bit of kit as it really did impress me it was the fact having tried it for a couple of nights I can't envisage me getting my money's worth from it. Having 2 young kids it's not something I can keep connected with fear of it being damaged and I couldn't be bothered to spend the 10 mins setting it up each time I wanted to play on it.

The other reason that whilst it was fun it was no coincidence that the best experiences I had on it were demos like headmaster, Playroom VR etc. These are small, novelty titles, the content in its early days didn't appeal to me so much. I also think that it's not quite worth the £350, if it was £200 I'd have kept it but it's obvious to see from the quality the PS Pro will be almost a necessity for VR.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I'm glad I tried it and I've recovered my money + £35, the experience was great but I want to see how it evolves before fully committing

To be 100% honest with you, knowing how pre-orders are sold out in most places if i wasnt happy with mine i too would have sold it online for a profit, it wouldn't even occur to me to take it back to the shop unless it was faulty.

I agree with your thoughts about PSVR requiring the PS4 Pro to be at its best, this will be my next purchase but will require me selling my PS4 first to help fund it.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

I think it is far more likely that the PS4 Pro exists because of PSVR and less for 4k.

Smoke and mirrors.

This.  It exists for that and it exists for Ultra settings in games without 4K.

Nah, it exists for HDR.

No, the normal PS4 had HDR features patched into it.

I can't even play this kinda of game and if games where to ever move in this direction I'd be fucked because I can't use these kinds of things.
I'm blind in my left eye... :/ and trying this for a couple minutes I threw up with the thing on my head at a demo in gamestop a month ago.

Guess I can't use these things because my eye I dunno

Edited by ChastityFail

I think it is far more likely that the PS4 Pro exists because of PSVR and less for 4k.

Smoke and mirrors.

Absolutely, yes.

I don't care at all about 4K for desktop or couch gaming, but I see it as a necessity for VR. If Sony released a 4K hardware revision for PSVR I'd jump back in. I don't foresee that happening until next generation, if at all, but one can dream...

The screen-door effect on 1080p was a factor I wasn't happy about, but could have overlooked if the software didn't look comparable to an upscaled Vita on a PSTV. PS4 Pro will go a long way to addressing the latter, but the combination of low screen resolution and poor graphics (let's be realistic) compared to a bog-standard PS4 on a tele made it a bad value proposition for me.

With some luck, we'll get demo units rolling out here in Oz in a few months. Again, demo-ing was simply not an option - had it been, I would have instantly cancelled the preorder and this thread wouldn't exist. I'll revisit the PSVR on the Pro to see if my opinion changes.

Otherwise, I'll see you guys in PSVR 4K, hopefully that'll deliver the wow factor I wanted and the glowing review will follow.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Absolutely, yes.

I don't care at all about 4K for desktop or couch gaming, but I see it as a necessity for VR. If Sony released a 4K hardware revision for PSVR I'd jump back in. I don't foresee that happening until next generation, if at all, but one can dream...

The screen-door effect on 1080p was a factor I wasn't happy about, but could have overlooked if the software didn't look comparable to an upscaled Vita on a PSTV. PS4 Pro will go a long way to addressing the latter, but the combination of low screen resolution and poor graphics (let's be realistic here) compared to a bog-standard PS4 on a tele simply made it a bad value proposition for me.

With some luck, we'll get demo units rolling out here in Oz in a few months. Again, demo-ing was simply not an option here - had it been, I would have instantly cancelled the preorder and this thread wouldn't exist. I'll revisit the PSVR on the Pro to see if my opinion changes. Otherwise, I'll see you guys in PSVR 4K.

That will be some time yet.  The PS4 Pro's 4K isn't exactly real 4K but upscaled from 2K.  Nothing actually does real 4K yet, not even PC gaming.  It'll definitely happen some point in the future though if VR is still a thing.

I must admit that you seem very involved to support your thesis... a bit too much maybe ? It seem personal almost but for sure I'm wrong.

If people are calling me a liar and hurling baseless accusations/insults in my direction you can damn well bet I'll defend myself and argue until I'm blue in the face.

I was one of those sitting on the fence debating whether PSVR would be a good investment, but given ant's apparently honest opinion and ability to express himself in an intelligent manner I must say I'd rather wait a year or two and see whether PS4 Pro changes anything.

That will be some time yet.  The PS4 Pro's 4K isn't exactly real 4K but upscaled from 2K.  Nothing actually does real 4K yet, not even PC gaming.  It'll definitely happen some point in the future though if VR is still a thing.

Agreed, but it's a step in the right direction and I can now see a valid reason for a 4K PlayStation to exist.

That said, both Fallout 4 and Skyrim will be native 4K. That's a pretty big announcement and I did not expect the Pro to be capable of it.

I personally just want consistent 1080p @ 60FPS across all titles. The problem is Sony has told devs that they can't deliver 60FPS on Pro but leave PS4 at 30FPS. As a result, I'd like to see both running at 60FPS with the Pro offering the Ultra settings version. Time will tell...

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Agreed, but it's a step in the right direction and I can now see a valid reason for a 4K PlayStation to exist.

That said, both Fallout 4 and Skyrim will be native 4K. That's a pretty big announcement and I did not expect the Pro to be capable of it.

I don't follow those games, but that is quite good.  I wasn't expecting it either.. not for the price the Pro is, pretty sure for a PC to run those in native 4K, you're talking around £800+ and that's at the minimum.

I don't follow those games, but that is quite good.  I wasn't expecting it either.. not for the price the Pro is, pretty sure for a PC to run those in native 4K, you're talking around £800+ and that's at the minimum.

Because the PS4 Pro is a single unified platform whereas PC gaming is a fractured mess, developers can squeeze a tonne more performance out of it compared to PC.

I read an article that quoted a tweet from a prominent game developer that stated it had double the 4K power of an equivalent PC. I'll try to dig that up.

• Like 1

Because the PS4 Pro is a single unified platform whereas PC gaming is a fractured mess, developers can squeeze a tonne more performance out of it compared to PC.

I read an article that quoted a tweet from a prominent game developer that stated it had double the 4K power of an equivalent PC. I'll try to dig that up.

This tweet/article I really want to see. Sounds far fetched; to say the least. More so than the rest of the post.

Edited by HaSoOoN-MHD