PSVR - do NOT buy!

antithesis

So if PSVR flops, will we get a standard PS4 version of Until Dawn Rush of Blood?

I don't think so, on the ps3 there was never been a standard edition of any other move exclusive that you can play with a standard controller. Sorcery is considered the best PS Move exclusive game, it plays really good and it's really fun too once you get the hang of the controls, it's ended up been unique with the move.

but I think if it's been giving an update patch to allow you to play it with the dual shock 3 sure people who wanted to play it but don't want to buy a move controller will be happy but I'm sure it will be so average and boring with a standard controller. and so, I think the same could happen to this game if you can plays it on TV without the VR.

I'm taking these back. Day one buy. Day one return. If anyone's pre-ordered, cancel before you waste your money!

Thanks for your review.

I'm still reading through the rest of the thread, so if you've already answered these questions already, then it's cool.

Do you have a Oculus and/or Vive at all? How do they compare?

Did you ever try PSVR demo at a store or game expo before you bought it?

Edited by DysectorZA

I just love how this has turned into the majority versus Ant who thinks his opinion matters above anyone else's

Don't like this guy at all

Gonna buy VR tbf

It's not Sony's fault they didn't count on fat, nerdy, sweaty bastards trying to use the thing

Except I'm the opposite of a fat, nerdy, sweaty bastard. Maybe nerdy, I do wear glasses. Feel free to add me to your block-list tiger, you won't be missed.

The difference between me and "the majority" is I wasn't willing to bend over and take it from Sony by spending $550 on a product that clearly wasn't worth it.

I understand folks have spent a lot of money on this thing and they want to feel like it'll be good value for money, eventually, by dumping another $550 into the PS4 Pro to bog-fill the clear performance gap in the PSVR hardware. But if you have any objectivity at all, see this for what it is - poor man's VR and Move 2.0.

Apparently rich man's VR isn't a great deal better, but simply because you've bought the least expensive option doesn't mean you should accept the less than mediocre result. If that ruffles a few feathers, then let them bleat. I don't have any problem taking an unpopular position if I believe that offers value to those who are still sitting on the fence.

Playing a couple of sandbox tech demoes and espousing the virtues of PSVR is a little premature. Put some pressure on the hardware and it falls to pieces, e.g Drive Club VR. The existence of PS4 Pro is telling - PS4 can't do VR well, so prepare to fork out for a new console while you're at it.

Wait it out and try before you buy, that's all I ask. The games will come, for a time at least, but the PSVR hardware itself is the limiting factor. That won't change and it took an instant to recognise that it won't deliver the result I was looking for, and my bar for VR was set pretty low.

Thanks for your review.

I'm still reading through the rest of the thread, so if you've already answered these questions already, then it's cool.

Do you have a Oculus and/or Vive at all? How do they compare?

Did you ever try PSVR demo at a store or game expo before you bought it?

No, I don't own either the Rift or Vive. I opted for the cheaper VR option and frankly I got exactly what I paid for, which is why it went back.

No, there was no option to demo the PSVR in Australia, unless attending the EB Expo a thousand kilometres away, which wasn't viable. Had I demo'd the PSVR, I would have cancelled the preorder, no questions asked.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

Ant, I salute you for taking your stand in this thread. Even after it became repetitive, it is still a fun read. So, thank you for that.

I cannot agree or disagree on the subject matter as I haven't used the VR yet.

Personally, I did pre-order it months ago without thinking too much about it, it's just the idea of playing TLoU Factions with VR that really got me.

But I cancelled my pre-order. Just considered: when did being the first to have something ever paid of when it comes to entertainment technology?

It's not the money, it's the high chance of being terribly annoyed by it. And you know, I am playing PS4 because it's convenient. It's simple plug-and-play.

I can easily take a call while playing, I can talk to my son, I can multi-task.

Having to put a helmet on for playing something and bothering with additional connections, thinking about getting an improved PS4 ... it would have to be really an excellent toy to make it worth it.

So I decided to just wait and see and I will probably do that for a couple of months. If it is excellent, I am gonna get it eventually.

And your review is part of that evaluation.

• Like 2

Having to put a helmet on for playing something and bothering with additional connections, thinking about getting an improved PS4 ... it would have to be really an excellent toy to make it worth it.

So I decided to just wait and see and I will probably do that for a couple of months. If it is excellent, I am gonna get it eventually.

And your review is part of that evaluation.

Definitely give it a couple of months. See how the PS4 Pro changes things, if at all. The games should definitely improve, but that screen...nothing's going to change the low-resolution screen and that's the stick I have up my arse about PSVR. I simply found it unbearable.

One of three things has happened -

1. I got a dud unit.

2. PSVR isn't friendly to glass-wearers.

3. PSVR is pretty ordinary.

The first two scenarios are entirely possible, but when reviewers are stating the same objections to PSVR that I have (though less overtly) and the problems of blurriness and controller shake (and by proxy, accuracy) can be seen in video reviews, I tend to lean towards number three.

If and when PSVR has a 4K hardware revision, I'll be all over it like a fat kid on a Twinkie. But until that time, I'll be on the sidelines waiting this one out.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I don't think so, on the ps3 there was never been a standard edition of any other move exclusive that you can play with a standard controller. Sorcery is considered the best PS Move exclusive game, it plays really good and it's really fun too once you get the hang of the controls, it's ended up been unique with the move.

but I think if it's been giving an update patch to allow you to play it with the dual shock 3 sure people who wanted to play it but don't want to buy a move controller will be happy but I'm sure it will be so average and boring with a standard controller. and so, I think the same could happen to this game if you can plays it on TV without the VR.

But PS3 also isn't console of remasters =D

With PS4, it's more than possible there will be remasters of VR games =D

• Like 1

I have worn glasses whilst playing PSVR and i had to make zero adjustments whilst doing so, i probably could have been wearing 2 pairs and still been ok.

There are numerous people on these forums who have posted in various threads saying that they have used PSVR with glasses without any problems whatsoever.

Unless you was wearing ski goggles you would know only too well that the PSVR head set fits right over the top of glasses with more than enough room to spare, you seem to be throwing a different spanner into the works every new page.

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 1

I have worn glasses whilst playing PSVR and i had to make zero adjustments whilst doing so, i probably could have been wearing 2 pairs and still been ok.

There are numerous people on these forums who have posted in various threads saying that they have used PSVR with glasses without any problems whatsoever.

Unless you was wearing ski goggles you would know only too well that the PSVR head set fits right over the top of glasses with more than enough room to spare, you seem to be throwing a different spanner into the works every new page.

Given my response was deleted, I'll state it again. I posted in the OP that I WEAR GLASSES. Please explain the new spanner in the works?

I'll also thank you and what's his face for validating that the problem with PSVR is not me, nor my glasses, but the headset itself.

I am a new poster, obviously, so don't have the kudos someone who was a founder of the site (as has been stated repeatedly on here) will have...

Being a founder of this website doesn't make his opinion any more valid than you own. :)

Edited by Adycakes

Signed up to reply to the topic asking for people who have had time with the unit's experience, but also must have a comment on here.

I am a new poster, obviously, so don't have the kudos someone who was a founder of the site (as has been stated repeatedly on here) will have, but I have been playing on PSVR for the past 24 hours (sleep, work, toilet and food breaks not withstanding!) and feel as a result I have a far more balanced opinion to provide as I gave the system a very fair opportunity before attempting to steer people in one direction or another.

PSVR is awesome.

It has flaws (cable mess, expensive to some people, resolution isn't 1080p or 4k so don't expect it, some games will give you motion sickness) but it has many, many positives, and they seem to be ignored by the OP as well as the great many people on this thread who haven't even tried using it. The immersion felt in experiences so far such as Kitchen, London Heist and Shark Encounter is unbelievable. These are experiences, not full games (I haven't yet played Batman and Until Dawn, but will be doing so later today) which I think is a very fair thing to bare in mind on a system launch for essentially a new technology as a home console (please, let's not include Virtual Boy in that assessment). This is the launch window, how do you think things will look in 6 months when games such as Resident Evil 7, Farpoint, Robinson: The Journey, Eagle Flight etc and whatever else is in the pipeline are out? These are full games, not tech demos.

It won't be for everyone, I guess some folk will have bigger issues with motion sickness than others, and problems with the display fidelity depending on their own vision than others. I am absolutely blown away personally and cannot wait to get home and back on it, that's just me. I went into PSVR with the right expectations after thorough research, if you didn't, then you are going to be disappointed and rightly want to return it. To actively try to encourage other people who have not had the opportunity to use PSVR to never do so is not right, but more fool them if they are steered so easily without deciding to make their own minds up.

I honestly wish I could agree with you, but I just couldn't get it across the line. The image was too low-quality and the step down in both resolution and texture quality too large for me to enjoy the experience. I really, really wanted to push a positive review of it, but it was ultimately a disappointment.

See how that's done ladies? It's called accepting the opposing point-of-view, offering a counter-argument and agreeing to disagree. That's how gentlemen communicate.

It won't be for everyone, I guess some folk will have bigger issues with motion sickness than others, and problems with the display fidelity depending on their own vision than others.

And see how that's done ladies? Instead of calling people liars, you accept that there may be issues at play with an individual's vision that precludes one's enjoyment of the PSVR. Kudos sir, for not being a dick. I offered that as a potential explanation as to why I didn't enjoy PSVR, but was shot down by the fanboy brigade as some giant-headed, thick-goggled mutant. Sorry guys, I'm a regular, normal-sized, adult male human being who wears regular, normal-sized prescription glasses.

For the umpteenth time, demo the PSVR and make up your own minds. The entire reason for this thread is to encourage fellow day one pre-orders to try before you buy. I might have stated that a little more bluntly, but the sentiment is the same. Just don't rush in blindly and buy it sight unseen, it could lead to an expensive, non-returnable purchase. Maybe dump it on eBay for a profit ;)

4K will be an altogether different story and I greatly look forward to that time. I just hope PSVR is still around to enjoy it.

Being a founder of this website doesn't make his opinion any more valid than you own. :)

It also means absolutely nothing aside from I've been here for awhile. If you read further into the thread, I quote Ron Burgundy and am obviously being self-deprecating and facetious. Anyone taking those comments seriously needs to get out more often.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2

I must admit that you seem very involved to support your thesis... a bit too much maybe ? It seem personal almost but for sure I'm wrong.

Wearing a tinfoil hat are we?  :popcorn:

It's my thread, of course I'll respond to it. Assuage your fears princess, there's no conspiracy here.

I am merely encouraging my friends and peers to look before you leap into VR. The landing may not quite be the land of milk and honey you anticipated. I found it be more bland...than land. See what I did there? ;)

Edited by ant1th3s1s

It's just an observation, I'm agree to share my experience, advise and suggest but without assuming that I'm only with the truth on my hands because "PSVR DO NOT BUY" is a strange way to "encouraging my friends and peers to look before you leap into VR".

cheers.

Edited by Zanna
  • Like 2

It's just an observation, I'm agree to share my experience, advise and suggest but without assuming that I'm only with the truth on my hands because "PSVR DO NOT BUY" is a strange way to "encouraging my friends and peers to look before you leap into VR".

cheers.

That's a fair observation, but I called it as a I saw it when I had the thing strapped to my face. People aren't stupid, they'll make up their own minds.

Sidenote: damn these double-line breaks, I'm editing every post to tidy them up :shakefist:

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I don't really understand why some people are talking this so seriously. No matter how "trustworthy" this person is, it's still just one persons opinion. Everyone is allowed their own. Don't just blindly believe someone without coming to your own conclusions.

I'm not even that thrilled about VR, but I won't write it off completely just because someone tells me they don't like it.

Agreed partially, but again, it's hard to form your own opinions in the manner you describe without actually purchasing the product in question, but it's hard to lay down that kind of scratch without actually forming a pre-conceived notion.

For me, what this dude says worries me quite a lot. I mean, how many lousy gimmicks have we see in gaming over our lives? For those who go back to the NES generation, don't even get me started on the shitty peripherals sold for it. great company. Great system. But still lots of gimmicks to rip people off.

Edited by starcrunch061

I've confirmed both Target and Amazon.com will accept returns within their existing return policies for Electronics items concerning the PS VR. While I need to wait for some more income and a couple titles that really tickle my fancy, I put my nose on my phone and can't see any pixels so maybe I don't have the same vision issues as ant1. I already have the camera and move controllers so I'll just be buying the VR and some titles. The only thing that's ultimately going to decide how much I spend on VR will be the titles and if they're available physically. 

I'm also curious how long it'll take for VR titles to be part of Plus. Maybe that's another big reason for the Plus price hike.

Anyway, thanks for the warning. You started with DO NOT BUY, but then said "I'd fork out $250 for it at the drop of a hat". I'll take that as VR is still viable and will catch on, but like all new technologies, 1st gen will be expensive (to recoup costs) and then the price will fall and technology will slowly improve and it'll stick around. Had you said there is no amount of money that would be worth it, I'd question your interest in new technology and games, but I see that the current VR is still worth it at a certain value. That's a great sign.

Agreed partially, but again, it's hard to form your own opinions in the manner you describe without actually purchasing the product in question, but it's hard to lay down that kind of scratch without actually forming a pre-conceived notion.

For me, what this dude says worries me quite a lot. I mean, how many lousy gimmicks have we see in gaming over our lives? For those who go back to the NES generation, don't even get me started on the shitty peripherals sold for it. great company. Great system. But still lots of gimmicks to rip people off.

Sure, but there are ways to try out PSVR without purchasing it, whether that be at events, at a friends house, or demo kiosks at Gamestop and Best Buy. Of course not everyone has access to these things, and I understand that, but it just baffles me how many people I've seen in this thread take this guys word for it and decide to steer clear based on that alone. From the sound of it, he played it for all of five minutes before deciding it was a lost cause. I just think people should do a bit more research. There are plenty of PSVR reviews out there both positive and negative, and I can guarantee pretty much all of them spent more time with it than this guy. That makes their opinions hold more weight to me. If after doing the research, you decide it's not worth it, then that's totally fine. I feel the same way. I just think people should take everything into consideration and not just the ramblings of one forum poster. 

I've said it earlier in this thread, but I'm not really even interested in PSVR right now. It does strike me as a bit of a gimmick, and I'm still not convinced it won't go the way of Move and such. I'm interested to see how it will turn out though, and if it ever does get some games I'd really like to play, and maybe a revision to the headset, I can see myself jumping in at that point.

Just thought i would post this as i have not seen it mentioned anywhere else but with so many posts please forgive me if it has been posted before.

On the PS4 dash there is a new option in...

Settings > Devices > PlayStation VR

From here you can tweak and fine tune quite a few settings including eye alignment for the VR headset and various other things that may help someone.

Also where you have your camera will impact things a bit too, like the tilt on it, the height of it etc, there are things that can be done to help and these may take several days to get spot on for each person by trial and error.

One other thing i have noticed myself is that the longer i play PSVR for the better it looks, i think our eyes just need time to adjust to the change, initially when i played in short sessions things looked a bit blurry yet after a while of more prolonged play things started to look better.

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 2