PSVR - do NOT buy!

antithesis

So far most of the people I have seen use the VR whom have relatively respected opinions like Austin Evans have said it's a very positive experience for the price. I still haven't invested in it, but I might when it goes down in price. Ultimately VR is still young, it's a bit early to write it off already don't you think?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
9 minutes ago, X-GG420-X said:

So OP bought PSVR on day one, decided on the very second he put it on that he will return it, tried 2 demos, returned it within 2 hours, "tried all the setup to make it pop, but it only fizzled" during that time ofcourse. Proceeded to aggressively and very negatively "review" the tech telling everyone to never buy it. Then proceeded to show examples from other establishments reviews why it sucks (shaky controller tracking) and 1 GIF displaying framerate issues (we all know gifs always have 60-120fps if the source does) and 1 GIF with burned out color palette, which, with a very quick google search "alfred batman vr" brought me to the video it's from (Batman: Arkham VR - Batman on Acid 1:05) and proved the palette is only weak in the gif, because you know - gif's do that.

Lets take his word on it, because "you know he's kind of a big deal".

My favorite part was the "games will be dead within 1 year" - "don't expect Skyrim VR when going in" post.

The irony is priceless.

Good read. Credible reviewer. Read the entire thread. Thanks. ? 

Agreed. VR will eventually be done right and the PSVR is better than the Nintendo Virtual Boy but we're not there yet. In my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I got one too. It's the second revision and I think it is amazing for the price. I don't know why the OP was so aggressive towards it all these years ago. I guess there weren't any good games? I enjoy BeatSaber and SuperhotVR a bit too much, and even these two games make it worthwhile. Got the PlayStation Aim Controller and it's a pretty good to play with it.

its very good in small quantities

as for side effects, very bad for our bodies. ive had every type of vr and 3d possible. i even have a 3d tv with the expensive glasses that use to be $150 a piece.

vr isnt made for our brains. it has the same reaction in our brain when we are poisoned. Our bodies are still but our eyes send signals to the brain were moving. 

i turn on the fan, it often gives me anxiety and makes me sick. i did manage to play bravo for like 8 hours straight on co op to help someone who helped me. but i cant leave the house or do anything after vr. i have a few games for it i cant get through because i cant play them long enough. usually no 3d made me sick. but this new gen vr does.

the guy who helped create the sega vr headset which was quickly swept under the rug made a article long ago how bad 3d and vr is. when we use anything like that, our eyes are being tricked. the longer we use it the longer it takes for our eyes and mind to go back to normal.

i know segas was a bit different then sony. but you have to realize sega was more conscious how bad vr is/was and did not want any lawsuits then or the future. sony on the other hand basically makes you agree that you cant sue them no matter what happens to you. they do this in firmware update like if you dont update you cant play so your basically forced to update. but they pretend they give you the decision lol. so they arent worried about the long term of psvr at all. try to sue them, youll get a $3 check in 10  years after they already made a billion. sony owns everything from electronics, to almost all music (i worked in the music industry, sony owns EVERYTHING), they have their hands in movies, tvs, electronics. they are mega.

overall for me i can afford psvr so i bought it. even though i dont use it much. im nearly 40 so my health and eyes are already gone to shyt. so it doesnt impact my life much. 

10 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

its very good in small quantities

as for side effects, very bad for our bodies. ive had every type of vr and 3d possible. i even have a 3d tv with the expensive glasses that use to be $150 a piece.

vr isnt made for our brains. it has the same reaction in our brain when we are poisoned. Our bodies are still but our eyes send signals to the brain were moving. 

i turn on the fan, it often gives me anxiety and makes me sick. i did manage to play bravo for like 8 hours straight on co op to help someone who helped me. but i cant leave the house or do anything after vr. i have a few games for it i cant get through because i cant play them long enough. usually no 3d made me sick. but this new gen vr does.

the guy who helped create the sega vr headset which was quickly swept under the rug made a article long ago how bad 3d and vr is. when we use anything like that, our eyes are being tricked. the longer we use it the longer it takes for our eyes and mind to go back to normal.

i know segas was a bit different then sony. but you have to realize sega was more conscious how bad vr is/was and did not want any lawsuits then or the future. sony on the other hand basically makes you agree that you cant sue them no matter what happens to you. they do this in firmware update like if you dont update you cant play so your basically forced to update. but they pretend they give you the decision lol. so they arent worried about the long term of psvr at all. try to sue them, youll get a $3 check in 10  years after they already made a billion. sony owns everything from electronics, to almost all music (i worked in the music industry, sony owns EVERYTHING), they have their hands in movies, tvs, electronics. they are mega.

overall for me i can afford psvr so i bought it. even though i dont use it much. im nearly 40 so my health and eyes are already gone to shyt. so it doesnt impact my life much. 

That is definitely not normal if you experience all that from playing vr. I have put hundreds of hours into my vr headset and have never experienced any type of side effect. Just because you have all these issues doesn’t mean that this is something everyone that plays vr experiences as well . Honestly motion sickness is the only thing I hear people complain about but that’s because most of them probably all have weak stomachs to begin with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

I enjoy mine. But rarely use it. Sort of wish I'd have saved the money now. But it was worth it just to try it out for awhile.

That's what i did also. But than after a couple titles i sold mine for 200€ around September (I lost 59€ but atleast i gained expierence with the headset and it was worth i guess). Because the main reason i got it was for Driveclub VR since the servers were shutting down March 2020 (Also that was the only racing title that was on there along with Tiny Trax that are exclusive lfmao).

I wasn't feeling to stick with it for a longer time. Even some games were pretty good like Astrobot. Many people just buy it to try it out and play a couple games and than put the headset away and for like a couple months and than play a lil bit and repeat. Most of them ending up dissapointing in the headset because who wants to use the headset if it's 90 degrees in the summer? Also i had no motion sickness from it.

But i won't say it's a bad product. It's just not for a large group of users that are on PSN. Sure you have regular users of the PSVR but they aren't many of them honestly. It's different for everyone i guess. But i felt i wasted my money so i had to get rid of mine. And i feel i did the right thing.

Edited by TazDevilz1986
  • Like 1

For me it's one of them play for an hour or two but no longer. When it first came out I did a game which took me close to 24 hours with only a couple of short breaks in the middle, When I attempted to sleep the mind just kept seeing things that were not there and would not turn off.
Side note the newer model of the VR smashes the first model in so many ways, overall for the price of this VR it's not a bad system but the blur on the non focused areas can be off putting for some users.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Tried out the latest revision of PSVR on PS5 last night and all of the original complaints still hold. There's about a 1 inch focused area in the center then everything else is blurry. So far doesn't make things unplayable, but kind of. Definitely not an enjoyable experience. If I pull the visor out I can get a slightly bigger focused area, but at the cost of double vision...

I also don't believe this runs at 1080p, even on PS5. Putting my face right up to my old 1080p tv has a much crisper quality. Even 720p content is very pixelated so I believe the resolution is actually even lower than that.

Also, maybe I've just got a weird head, but I can't get the virtual screen to be in a good place. I either have to crane my whole head up or look straight down to have it center in my view, which is pretty uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I have been using my VR for 50% of my gaming time for almost 2 years now. 

It's definitely a budget VR that was underpowered the moment it launched. 

Same as games transitioning from 2d to 3 d games it took at least 2 generations of consoles before it evolved into something high quality. 

Do take into account that even at this point after more than 6 years have passed you are a Beta Tester of the whole medium. 

Developers are still figuring stuff out with the help of people interested in playing these early stages of VR. 

PSVR2 being the 2nd generation of consoles, running on 4k resolution and all other tehnical mumbo-jumbo combined with a PS5 is bound to improve the whole VR experience. 

My overall experience is generally positive even tho I am aware of its problems. 

Edited by Prometheous101
  • Like 1

VR has plenty of stuff to give to the players, although I would suggest staying away from ports of normal Non-VR games. 

The whole point of VR is to experience something you cannot do with normal gaming. 

BUY THE MOVES even if it means selling your kidney. 

Stand up, move around the room, do stuff that you wouldn't with normal gaming. 

Make your neighbours think you crazy, enjoy the games the way you want to. 

Playing Skyrim in VR while just sitting in moving your VR headset around is cool, but that is not why you should buy VR. 

Movement of your hands is the point, VR specific interactions. 

Open drawers, throw objects, move your body. 

Edited by Prometheous101

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 7:14 AM, Prometheous101 said:

Playing Skyrim in VR while just sitting in moving your VR headset around is cool, but that is not why you should buy VR. 

Movement of your hands is the point, VR specific interactions. 

I disagree. The point of VR is immersion, and while being able to open drawers and throw things is cool, you're not going to get very immersed if you're playing a two hour game that consists entirely of Rick's garage. Having full fledged games that you can actually lose yourself in is just as important as interactivity, IMO. So even though Skyrim VR was a shitty port (the PCVR version has mods and is much better, I hear), the fact that it's a full experience you can spend hundreds of hours playing alone makes it a better case for VR than most games.

Most VR games at the moment are, unfortunately, tech demos. While we've had some pretty impressive games (e.g. Astrobot and Blood and Truth), almost all of the PSVR's games are basically just indie games in terms of budget and scope. Many games just put you in an arena and give you some nice weapons to play with and call it a day, even the better games like Pistol Whip and Beat Saber, while definitely immersive and fun, are hardly what I'd call 'full games'. Yes, the ideal would be a 100 hour RPG fine tuned for VR, where you can interact with every aspect of the world - but we're not there yet. Until game developers start putting in the money to make full games that utilize VR features, VR interactivity will remain more a gimmick than a reason to buy a headset.

Also, standing up playing isn't really conducive to playing full games like Skyrim VR. I've 100%ed it and it took many, many 6 hour play sessions which wouldn't have been possible if I was standing for the entire time. Considering that you don't actually have to move your body in most games anyway, sitting and moving your arms is essentially the same experience but with more comfort.

• Like 1