PSVR - do NOT buy!

antithesis

If people are calling me a liar and hurling baseless accusations/insults in my direction you can damn well bet I'll defend myself and argue until I'm blue in the face.

I was one of those sitting on the fence debating whether PSVR would be a good investment, but given ant's apparently honest opinion and ability to express himself in an intelligent manner I must say I'd rather wait a year or two and see whether PS4 Pro changes anything.

And exactly where you read words like "liar" or accusations/insults ? Keep calm and don't use words or phrases invented to support your theory, at least not with me. Clear enough ?

Now, switch back to this discussion, I can support PSVR, I can hate it and I can suggest to buy or not, everyone is free to share opinions, doesn't matter if right or wrong but as I told there are many ways to share opinions, "I can categorically & absolutely recommend that you DO NOT BUY this piece of sh!t. It's fucking awful." or "If anyone's pre-ordered, cancel before you waste your money!" these are not arguments, these are opinions and opinios are questionable, no truth written in the rocksuse your dictionary to understand the difference before you start yell running around the table.

Edited by Zanna

And exactly where you read words like "liar" or accusations/insults ? Keep calm and don't use words or phrases invented to support your theory, at least not with me. Clear enough ?

Reread the thread champ and you'll see more than one instance in which ant's integrity/objectivity were called into question. Clear enough?

Edited by TheLakota

Now, switch back to this discussion, I can support PSVR, I can hate it and I can suggest to buy or not, everyone is free to share opinions, doesn't matter if right or wrong but as I told there are many ways to share opinions, "I can categorically & absolutely recommend that you DO NOT BUY this piece of sh!t. It's fucking awful." or "If anyone's pre-ordered, cancel before you waste your money!" these are not arguments, these are opinions and opinios are questionable, no truth written in the rocksuse your dictionary to understand the difference before you start yell running around the table.

The offending posts were deleted by mods. You can still see some of them in quotes in my posts. It's no bother though, I understand why those posters were defensive, no-one wants to be told their new toys are crap.

Yes, and an opinion is just that and should be taken as such. I expressed my overwhelming disappointment while experiencing the PSVR for the first time. You can either accept PSVR for what it is, which is pretty rudimentary VR, or not. The VR experience itself is ok, I just couldn't handle the screen-door effect and blurry, low-res presentation. I've chosen to return mine and wait for a later iteration.

This tweet/article I really want to see. Sounds far fetched; to say the least. More so than the rest of the post.

I had serious doubts too, but Bethesda posting that Skyrim will be NATIVE 4K has pricked up my ears. I thought Pro would be incapable of anything but low polygon-count indie-gaming in 4K with the rest of the catalogue upscaled to faux-4K.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

The offending posts were deleted by mods. You can still see some of them in quotes in my posts. It's no bother though, I understand why those posters were defensive, no-one wants to be told their new toys are crap.Yes, and an opinion is just that and should be taken as such. I expressed my overwhelming disappointment while experiencing the PSVR for the first time. You can either accept PSVR for what it is, which is pretty rudimentary VR but still ok for first-gen, or not. I've chosen to return mine and wait for a later iteration.I had serious doubts too, but Bethesda posting that Skyrim will be NATIVE 4K has pricked up my ears. I thought Pro would be incapable of anything but low polygon-count indie-gaming in 4K with the rest of the catalogue upscaled to faux-4K.

Let's maybe wait until Sony say that PS4 Pro can do native 4K because we all know what Bethesda is like announcing things.. like saying there'll be mods in their games and since Sony didn't want that, they had to go back on their word slightly and release mods in a much more restricted way than they had originally planned for PS.

Edited by DEMON

... unless you bought online. 

Know your consumer rights. See the Distance Selling Regulations. 

ALWAYS make big purchases online in the UK or rest of the EU - 14 days, not allowed to ask you any questions, right of return on most categories of products (not games/software tho). Only exception is if you damage the product beyond what is reasonable in those 14 days.

I know, I've said it a lot, but it's an important message to get across to people.  

That can come in very handy indeed. In addition, I believe in case of faulty hardware that is still covered by the warranty, the retailer (if they have their own repair service) or distributing company are obligated to replace the item with a new one (same or superior model), if the repair exceeds the 1 month period.

Regarding software, I've had different experiences. I had a couple of games that I bought from a local retailer, that when I tried out didn't work. Those were new and sealed games, which I obviously opened, because I wanted to play them. Went back to the store and they didn't want to take them back, because I had opened the seal. This was until I asked for the manager and wanted to make a written complaint, arguing that in order to see if the game works, I had to open them. I let them try out the games in question on their own hardware in the store and sure enough they didn't work. They were more than happy to give me a refund after that.

• Like 1

Let's maybe wait until Sony say that PS4 Pro can do native 4K because we all know what Bethesda is like announcing things.. like saying there'll be mods in their games and since Sony didn't want that, they had to go back on their word slightly and release mods in a much more restricted way than they had originally planned for PS.

Not to mention, Bethesda games run poorly on consoles, so you're right to be sceptical. Regardless, it is an interesting and unexpected development.

I won't be able to tell in any case as I don't own any 4K screens. As long as the Pro runs smoother than the PS4, I'll be satisfied with the mid-cycle upgrade.

It's a big move by Sony and if they're caught out telling furfees, MS is poised to capitalise with the Scorpio which has time to make changes based on the PS4 Pro's reception.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Well shit, this is disappointing.

I suppose I'll hold off buying the PSVR until 2018.

My experience was negative. I can only suggest trying it yourself. But don't buy it without trying first.

Lots of peeps are happy with it as is, but they are conceding that it's first-gen tech and improvements need to be made. I'm not willing to sink money into Sony, Facebook or HTC's war-chest to enable the required R&D, I'll wait until they're a bit further down the road.

Hey Ant, After reading most of this thread I thought it was time for a new signature :) Since I seem to remember i posted the comic where you got your current signature I think it is fitting I provide you with your new one :)

rc4yuh.jpg

Love it Doc.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

The funniest thing about this thread is that there are so many people that have changed their minds about wanting the device because ONE PERSON DOESN'T LIKE IT.

Holy shit, can you guys get your own opinion instead of latching onto someone else's? Try it out for yourselves. If you hate it, then that's YOUR opinion, but you have to realize how ridiculous you look when you say something like, "Wow I didn't expect this, this is really upsetting and disappointing to me. I guess I'll take the word of a stranger and get it when Sony decides to price drop it, or upgrade the specs."

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. In this day and age, nobody has their own opinion. Everybody is into what other people are into. People only watch what other people watch, buy the games that other people love. 

"Well, I want *insert highly anticipated video game title here*, but I'll wait and see what some neckbeard critic has to say before I decide for myself if I'll like it. Obviously basing it off of someone else's opinion."

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this thread is that there are so many people that have changed their minds about wanting the device because ONE PERSON DOESN'T LIKE IT.

Holy shit, can you guys get your own opinion instead of latching onto someone else's? Try it out for yourselves. If you hate it, then that's YOUR opinion, but you have to realize how ridiculous you look when you say something like, "Wow I didn't expect this, this is really upsetting and disappointing to me. I guess I'll take the word of a stranger and get it when Sony decides to price drop it, or upgrade the specs."

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. In this day and age, nobody has their own opinion. Everybody is into what other people are into. People only watch what other people watch, buy the games that other people love. 

"Well, I want *insert highly anticipated video game title here*, but I'll wait and see what some neckbeard critic has to say before I decide for myself if I'll like it. Obviously basing it off of someone else's opinion."

People value other people's opinions, otherwise we wouldn't have videogame reviewers. It is easy to throw down $60 and form your own opinion on a game because even if the game isn't fun, at least you only wasted $60 and you can sell it and hopefully make most of that back. PSVR on the other hand, if you need the camera and Move controllers, you're going to be throwing $500 on the table. That is a lot of money, so for those who don't have any way to try it out before they buy a review or someone like Ant's personal experience with the device is valuable. Yes, eventually one should form their own opinion based on personal experiences, but I see nothing wrong with cancelling a pre-order or waiting to buy something based off the opinion of a user or reviewer that you trust. 

Parker

• Like 1

People value other people's opinions, otherwise we wouldn't have videogame reviewers. It is easy to throw down $60 and form your own opinion on a game because even if the game isn't fun, at least you only wasted $60 and you can sell it and hopefully make most of that back. PSVR on the other hand, if you need the camera and Move controllers, you're going to be throwing $500 on the table. That is a lot of money, so for those who don't have any way to try it out before they buy a review or someone like Ant's personal experience with the device is valuable. Yes, eventually one should form their own opinion based on personal experiences, but I see nothing wrong with cancelling a pre-order or waiting to buy something based off the opinion of a user or reviewer that you trust. 

Parker

I think there is something wrong with it, because it shows that you are incapable of making your own decision. If you came to this conclusion yourself, IE, trying it out for yourself in a store or at a friends that did make the plunge, and you don't like it yourself, then it's completely justifiable. But in this particular instance, that isn't the case. This is the case of people taking the word of someone that had a negative experience on a message board.

Of course, there are different scenarios that could have played out. Maybe these individuals are close friends with the user. Or maybe they just trust his opinion. I don't think that's the case with the majority of the people that have newfound negative opinions on the hardware, but it would be ignorant of me to ignore that it could be a contributing factor.

However, I still don't think that is even enough of a reasoning. Going back to the comparison of a hot new anticipated game, sure it's only $60 and doesn't require anywhere near the amount of a financial sacrifice as something like the PSVR does, but there are SO MANY PEOPLE that will change their minds on whether they will buy a game day 1, solely on reviews from a critic. Individuals that they don't know personally. People that most likely don't share the exact same interests as they do, which I believe is important for a gaming review, since most games nowadays are influenced from a combination of multiple games. 

So if Ethan Bradberry from IGN gives Gears of War 4 a 4 out of 10, that's horrible to every potential person that was interested in the game. No one in their right mind would buy the game when such an established gaming mind thought so low about it, right? Well, what if Ethan Bradberry wasn't fond of third person shooters? What if the only games he enjoys are PC MMOs, and he was forced to review the game because nobody else wanted to, and his opinion on it was deviated because of his indifference? It changes the scope of the critique insurmountably.

I think Playstation VR, or current virtual reality as we know it (not that shit from the 90's that you may or may not have experienced), is something that needs to be witnessed with your own eyes before you decide it is or isn't for you. It adds a whole new dimension to the gaming industry that wasn't possible before (or as previously exampled, wasn't utilised well in the slightest).

More and more with these responses, even I start to wonder if I'm a paid employee of Sony.

Edited by Valyrious
  • Like 1

Parker

Exactly.

I value those who bought PSVR on day one, but I've decided that due to being very low on personal income and having a history of being disappointed with Day 1 releases, I will sit this one out for a year, if not a little more. Hopefully PSVR will have had some success, I would hate to see it thrown to the wayside like some of Sony's past attempts.

Many of the games I've bought that are listed on my profile are from somebody on Youtube or some other mainstream website that had highly recommended them to be fun and exciting. I never buy a game blindly thinking it is going to be good.

The problem here is people can't agree to disagree, which is a global problem across most forum websites.

• Like 1

Criticism is important, it holds people and companies accountable.

Remember the launch of XB1 when MS told us to #dealwithit? We'd all be playing always-on, Kinect-powered, non-tradeable games if people didn't speak out against it.

Sony's losing sight of their core audience and MS is poised to capitalise. Releasing a mediocre product, though quite possibly the best of its generation, does not give them a free pass to polish the Motion Control turd and pass it off as the next big thing.

You think too little of Joe Average if you honestly believe they'll be swayed by one opinion. But if all anyone read was "This thing is awesome!", it's every bit as toxic, if not more-so because it neither offers a balanced perspective, nor reflects the reality of the product.

We're singing the same tune - try before you buy and make up your own mind. The problem with PSVR is it's very difficult to demo a unit, depending where you live. Here in Australia, it's currently impossible, which is why I'm asking those, like me, who pre-ordered, to step back and wait until that opportunity presents itself so they're not wasting a quite significant amount of money.

Consumer protection isn't quite so liberal here - the underlying rule of thumb is "You bought it, no returnsies, we don't care if you don't like it." and the vast majority of Aussies cop it sweet. It's only when the few of us who are aware of our rights threaten retailers with third-party intervention that they back down. I got very close to having to do that, which isn't good for developing a rapport with your local gaming store.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Remember the launch of XB1 when MS told us to #dealwithit? We'd all be playing always-on, Kinect-powered, non-tradeable games if people didn't speak out against it.

Sony's losing sight of their core audience and MS is poised to capitalise. Releasing a mediocre product, though quite possibly the best of its generation, does not give them a free pass to polish the Motion Control turd and pass it off as the next big thing.

One of the reasons the 360 did so well was because of the multiplayer. Sony's servers got hacked in 2011 (based on reading about it since I didn't own a PS3 at the time) and some people migrated over to Microsoft.

Sony is practically running away with the competition this generation since the PS4 sales are more than three times the sales of the Xbox One and Nintendo Wii U. I feel Sony is starting to get too cocky and having the PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro and PSVR all within the same time frame is a bad move.

You think too little of Joe Average if you honestly believe they'll be swayed by one opinion. But if all anyone read was "This thing is awesome!", it's every bit as toxic, if not more-so because it neither offers a balanced perspective, nor reflects the reality of the product.

We're singing the same tune - try before you buy and make up your own mind. The problem with PSVR is it's very difficult to demo a unit, depending where you live. Here in Australia, it's currently impossible, which is why I'm asking those, like me, who pre-ordered, to step back and wait until that opportunity presents itself so they're not wasting a quite significant amount of money.

I do remember E3 2013 quite well. And you know what? I'm going to go on record and just say that I loved Microsoft's presentation. I thought it was ballsy, and I was totally on board with it. At the time, I was a Microsoft only gamer, and I wasn't very fond of their competition. I still believe it was a good idea to this day. And I realize how absolutely insane that opinion will sound to most likely everybody reading this. There are reasons why I feel this way, but I don't feel the need to go into them because it's avoiding the subject at hand. But suffice to say, I lost an INCREDIBLE amount of respect when Microsoft backed down from their stance and changed their minds because of the backlash that they got for it. Don't confuse me, I understand that they had to do it in the eyes of gamers everywhere, and to not be liquidated into non-existence in the hardware console market, but it still doesn't resonate well with me.

I think Sony is in a precarious position. A position that they themselves placed them in. A position so high that they'll explode if they can't keep up the punches. Back in the last generation, Sony was playing catch up because their PS3 launch, if anybody remembers, was a COMPLETE GODDAMN DISASTER. In every shape of the imagination. It was absolutely damning to them, and it took them a long time to recover. A story that we're seeing again this year, but from the eyes of the opposite party. Sony is becoming complacent with their lead. Whereas Microsoft is fighting tooth and nail to remain competitive. Phil Spencer is a genius, and the most important person Microsoft has ever hired. Give him Bill Gates' wealth, and it would be game over. Thankfully, that isn't the case.

You're right though, demoing it is difficult. There still aren't that many people that own it yet, so you can't even really give it a spin unless you have a diehard Sony Pony family member or friend. I'm not an owner of the VR, btw. I made a post in the first few pages exemplifying myself from getting it immediately, but for much different reasons than not being interested in it. I got to demo it for a few hours, and I do believe that it is the future. But right now it's not good enough. The games that the developers are making are, in my own opinion and no one else's, complete shit. I'm more than happy waiting for real games to be developed. It might take a few years, but I'm okay with that. I do wish I had a good enough reason to spend the $600 to get it, because I do love it. Oh well, I am wise enough to know what I want and when I want it. Like much of us are, but it deeply saddens me when people mistake the illusion of desire with the opposite the first chance they hear something different. That's all.

I don't think there's any point in a positive circle jerk. I'm not sure why you included that in your post. But it's worse when people are being swayed like they are now. 

If people want to not drop $400 on a peripheral based on the opinion of a single person, that's their problem, not mine. If a person is going to change their mind after a single negative review, it means they were already falling off the fence whether they wanted to admit it to themselves or not.

In my opinion I do not think that VR is such a thing of another world, if we see the first time you use them, is a new thing, but the high price that cost is very expensive, with the cables.
I would not buy much because of the price, because of the cable are a mess, reminds me of when I was a kid playing Mega Drive, be playing a game without knowing pushing the cable and moving the console, and suddenly puff, back playing again, it was boring.

Not surprised, I had a feeling the PSVR was going to be one of those novelty items that gets old insanely quickly, much like the 3D feature on the Nintendo 3DS; I don't know anyone that actually uses the 3D on those things any more, myself included.

No way I'm going to spend £350 on a VR system that only has short, incredibly watered down games where you can barely even do much of anything. If VR ever improves to the point where you're pretty much in the game world, like Sword Art Online (as much as I dislike the anime), then I'd be interested. But right now, virtual reality just seems bare boned as all hell. It's like when 3D glasses used to have those red and blue lenses, it's still very much in the early stages, and I don't care much for an under developed product at a price that's even more expensive than buying a brand new PS4 right now.

Ok, I got my PSVR all hooked up and I can categorically & absolutely recommend that you DO NOT BUY this piece of sh!t. It's fucking awful.

Remember when you were a kid and you sat WAAAYYY too close to the old CRT screen and you could see the pixels clear as day while everything else was washed out and muddy. That's PSVR.

Everything looks blurry and smudged and I need to pull the screen right up to the point where they're colliding with my glasses. I don't think wearing glasses is the problem, it'll look like shit for everyone - the resolution may be 1080p, but it looks upscaled from 480p.

The nose flaps are bloody annoying too and the headband is a sweat magnet.

Regular games and movies look like crap. VR's a slight improvement because you need to look around to see the otherwise equally blurry and smudged crap on-screen.

I'm taking these back. Day one buy. Day one return. If anyone's pre-ordered, cancel before you waste your money!

Just to make sure, you did take off the protective film off the lenses, right?

source

Not surprised, I had a feeling the PSVR was going to be one of those novelty items that gets old insanely quickly, much like the 3D feature on the Nintendo 3DS; I don't know anyone that actually uses the 3D on those things any more, myself included.

No way I'm going to spend £350 on a VR system that only has short, incredibly watered down games where you can barely even do much of anything. If VR ever improves to the point where you're pretty much in the game world, like Sword Art Online (as much as I dislike the anime), then I'd be interested. But right now, virtual reality just seems bare boned as all hell. It's like when 3D glasses used to have those red and blue lenses, it's still very much in the early stages, and I don't care much for an under developed product at a price that's even more expensive than buying a brand new PS4 right now.

Excellent review of a product you've had no experience with, well done

• Like 2