PSVR - do NOT buy!

antithesis

It's beyond awful. The XMB looks warped, text is blurred and bleeding, the screen looks overly bright, not enough contrast with a complete lack of colour depth. It's 80's TV quality.

I'm not saying these things to be spiteful, but to provide realistic expectations.

That is just not true, we have already said it is not as crisp as it is without PSVR but it is nowhere near that bad... but you are spinning some over inflated bullshit here.

You only owned the device for a very short period and only played one PSVR demo on it... I am all for people passing off their opinions to help others make decisions but not when it is exaggerated nonsense that border on lies.

• Like 2

It even messes up displaying XMB? That's quite a huge problem.. I would have expected it to display that fine. =/

Looks fine to me, although it's important to either raise or lower the positioning on your forehead to get clear text, i found it was blurry but moving the headset slightly lower took me first to the whole screen going curved then a tad lower it all went straight with clear text. Spending 30 seconds doing this on the XMB means your games won't be blurry.

Edited by richtayls

Looks fine too me, although it's important to either raise or lower the positioning on your forehead to get clear text, i found it was blurry but moving the headset slightly lower took me first to the whole screen going curved then a tad lower it all went straight with clear text. Spending 30 seconds doing this on the XMB means your games won't be blurry.

Maybe ant didn't spend a while trying to fix it because I honestly find it hard to believe they can mess up the XMB that bad and not notice it but release it anyways.  A game that is on the high end of graphics, I can understand looking a bit crap in VR, but the general OS of the system when nothing else is running? =/

That is just not true, we have already said it is not as crisp as it is without PSVR but it is nowhere near that bad... but you are spinning some over inflated bullshit here.

You only owned the device for a very short period and only played one PSVR demo on it... I am all for people passing off their opinions to help others make decisions but not when it is exaggerated nonsense that border on lies.

I beg to differ. That's exactly the experience Sony delivered. All I can conclude is that you're easily impressed by dated technology, poor interface design and inaccurate controls.

I played more than one demo, I made all of the XMB tweaks, I moved the headset to optimal positioning and ended up clashing with my glasses, which Sony said were not going to be a problem.

I gave PSVR all the chance it deserved and it was well and truly sufficient to make a value judgment on the hardware. The software will improve, but the hardware won't. That's why it went straight back into the box, never to be seen again.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I haven't asked anyone to blindly trust my opinion. I could give two shits whether anyone agrees with me or not.

Well the fact that you repeatedly tell people not to buy PSVR and tell them to cancel their pre-orders is asking them to blindly believe what you say, no?

The simple fact of the matter is that this is gen 1. Sony have talked about how they're treating this as the launch of the original PlayStation. Yes, it's not perfect, but just imagine what gen 2 or gen 3 looks like. Developers are still figuring out this new tech.

• Like 2

Yes, you are ant1th3s1s.

Not even the more than double price Rift/Vive will satisfy your expectations.

This is how technology progresses. Did smartphones have high DPI screens at first?

You've passed the line from opinion to ignorance now.

How it being ignorant to call a spade a spade?

If you're impressed by PSVR, you have very low expectations of the medium and too much cash to burn.

Again, this is a discussion of PSVR, the 960x1080p product, not the promised land of what 4K VR might become. The future is bright, but only if the initial steps are in the right direction. Moving backwards just to put a screen on your face is not progress.

Well the fact that you repeatedly tell people not to buy PSVR and tell them to cancel their pre-orders is asking them to blindly believe what you say, no?

The simple fact of the matter is that this is gen 1. Sony have talked about how they're treating this as the launch of the original PlayStation. Yes, it's not perfect, but just imagine what gen 2 or gen 3 looks like. Developers are still figuring out this new tech.

You're not buying gen 2 or gen 3 here. You're buying gen 1. Make a value judgment on the actual product in question.

I've made mine, it's not even remotely worth the asking price for the experience being delivered. If you're satisfied by less than mediocre, then PSVR is for you.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I mean who wants to spend 400$ playing mediocre games with a screen attached to your face.

I mean the initial "neat" factor will go away pretty quickly just like Motion controls and 3d did as well. Gimmicks will never replace good storytelling and solid gameplay

You hit the nail on the head.

You owned it for less than 1 day, which really makes the above quote look ridiculous.

Why are you fixated on this? You know how long it takes to make a value judgment on anything? Less than 3 seconds. Nothing the PSVR did in the following 2 hours I used it made a dent on that value judgment.

Are you asking the good folk of PSNP to take the same approach? "Buy it, take it home, use it for a few days, then take it back if you're not happy. What do you mean the store won't take returns?!?"

They're going to make a value judgment likely on at most a few minutes using a demo unit. I'd say my approach here is the more valid one.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

There is no conspiracy here - EB Games and by proxy, all retailers, have been instructed by Sony not to accept returns on PSVR unless it's either faulty or in a boxed state. That came from the horse's mouth. It's an expensive product and also an intimate one (it goes on your face and in your ears), so they really don't want someone else's jizz on a re-sale item.

Wait, you transfer Jizz from your face and ears to the VR headset? Not judging, just an odd thing to admit on a public board

I'm just kidding, of course...just thought it was funny :D

Exactly what I have started to think. Sure the graphics are not as great as what PS4 runs on your television but it's definitely not blurry. At first I thought he definitely would have checked his setup but I'm thinking now that he just did not adjust his headset properly.

Yep, it's real hard to press a button to slide the screen forward. The headset has a sum total of two buttons (not counting the on/off and audio switches on the cable). If it takes you more than 5 mins to setup the headset to an optimal position, you lack opposable thumbs.

I gave this thing a red hot go and remained unimpressed to the point where I was compelled to return it. End of story.

If the visuals would be as bad as you claim then nobody would enjoy VR. Either you failed to use your headset properly, or you're lying, or everybody else is as blind as a bat. Though seeing how you have behaved in this thread you will probably say everybody enjoying VR is blind before you'd admit there's something weird going on at your end.

Be careful there tiger, there's no winning that fight. Why would I intentionally badmouth a product I pre-ordered day one and looked forward to for over two years? "He didn't like it, he must be lying! Get the pitchforks!". Stupid, stupid comment.

Yep, it's just me. Nothing to see here -

ddh3zbohvun0n23rzsvv.gif

z9tdaj4o1vpaapi1n5mu.gif

g2iggizylfq9jygd3ud9.gif

Read the full article here - http://kotaku.com/playstation-vr-the-kotaku-review-1787424830

Look, all I ask is you demo the PSVR and go into it with your eyes open. If you remain impressed, drop your coin. If not, save your money until something better comes along.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

You're not buying gen 2 or gen 3 here. You're buying gen 1. Make a value judgment on the actual product in question.

I've made mine, it's not even remotely worth the asking price for the experience being delivered. If you're satisfied by less than mediocre, then PSVR is for you.

It comes back to my original point that you should of done your research. Considering how much PSVR costs compared to its competitors, it should of been obvious that it wasn't going to provide on the unrealistic expectations you set for it. What you're proposing is years away from becoming affordable to the average consumer. If you can't handle the roughness of gen 1, you should of waited until better headsets came down the line. It would be like expecting PS3 graphics from a PS1. Some people have realistic expectations, so gen 1 will be fine for them.

That's humanity for you, #dealwithit

Well now you're just being childish...

Yep, it's real hard to press a button to slide the screen forward. The headset has a sum total of two buttons (not counting the on/off and audio switches on the cable). If it takes you more than 5 mins to setup the headset to an optimal position, you lack opposable thumbs.I gave this thing a red hot go and remained unimpressed to the point where I was compelled to return it. End of story.

Except the sliding is not the only thing to do, if you have not put the headset on correctly then no amount of sliding will help you while tilting the set itself makes all the difference. At this point you're really msking me think that you did not figure this out while you had your headset on.

Sure, ignore the rest of my post because you don't know yet how you can explain your lack of trophies in Playroom. Are you going with an "alt account" excuse or will you keep ignoring it? And how about any form of acknowledgement that you seem to be the only one here having that much trouble seeing clearly in VR, or why you claimed that the controls did not work? Surely you would not want to miss an opportunity to mention that all those people with VR claiming it's not as bad as you make it out to be are blind people in love with television from the eighties...

Edited by BillyHorrible

I don't mean to be dissrepectful but i am very surprised by the amount of 'Thanks for the heads up' kind of replies based on one persons experience.

It is as though that one persons opinion is the gospel and that's that...

If people do not like it or do not want it then that's perfectly fine, but to be completely tilted in one direction by one persons opinion in an online forum seems a bit hasty in the least.

Well I'm taking Ant's advice because I've known him for ages and he's not one to put shit on something just cause.

Yep, it's real hard to press a button to slide the screen forward. The headset has a sum total of two buttons (not counting the on/off and audio switches on the cable). If it takes you more than 5 mins to setup the headset to an optimal position, you lack opposable thumbs.

Are you saying all you tried was moving the screen further away / closer by pressing the button? I found you had to move the entire headset up / down on your forehead to make the text etc clear.

Be careful there tiger, there's no winning that fight. Why would I intentionally badmouth a product I pre-ordered day one and looked forward to for over two years?

"He didn't like it, he must be lying! Get the pitchforks!". Stupid, stupid comment.

Yep, it's just me. Nothing to see here -

ddh3zbohvun0n23rzsvv.gif

z9tdaj4o1vpaapi1n5mu.gif

g2iggizylfq9jygd3ud9.gif

Read the full article here - http://kotaku.com/playstation-vr-the-kotaku-review-1787424830

Look, all I ask is you demo the PSVR and go into it with your eyes open. If you remain impressed, drop your coin. If not, save your money until something better comes along.

Well now you're just quoting others without using your own experience because the two games you claim to have tried both work with the normal controller.

I have tried move today and it did not stutter that much and my controllers were still picked up by the camera when I had them near my feet. But then again I managed to set up my camera properly where I was in full view of it.

And all you do is not asking to demo VR. If that was all then we could agree on that. You're also claiming VR to be worse than it is and you're claiming that anyone impressed by VR can only have amazingly low expectations of outdated technology.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Japanimegamer's cutting of the rest of the quote was a little childish(post wasn't edited when he quoted) I think ant's given up on trying to have an adult discussion with him.

OT: I like the thread. It seems like you're trying to lower the hype so that people react more appropriately to the PSVR. Your comment about it being worth ~$250 instead of ~$500 seems like a fair point. I had no intention of buying it full price and I've previously said it seemed like it was worth maybe $200 from what videos I saw before the release. While it already is the economical VR experience, it still seems overpriced for what you get. I still haven't tried it, but that's my opinion at this point.

Edited by kuuhaku

So as someone who hasn't gotten VR nor do I really plan to, I can't help but feel like OP is jumping the gun in this thread quite a bit. I feel like this thread could have been less disastrous if it was more about sharing VR experiences rather than "Don't buy it because of this experience I had with it" and let others factor in on it. To me, VR is similar to how the Wii motion controls and Kinect were. They work for some people, but other times it doesn't for various reasons and this just seems like one of those cases again. I can't speak for the quality and graphics but I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect them to be ultra-high whatever right away.

• Like 1

Japanimegamer's cutting of the rest of the quote was a little childish. I think ant's given up on trying to have an adult discussion with him.

Actually, ant had originally posted the post that short and Japanimegamer didn't cut it at all.. not at the time anyways.

It comes back to my original point that you should of done your research. Considering how much PSVR costs compared to its competitors, it should of been obvious that it wasn't going to provide on the unrealistic expectations you set for it. What you're proposing is years away from becoming affordable to the average consumer. If you can't handle the roughness of gen 1, you should of waited until better headsets came down the line. It would be like expecting PS3 graphics from a PS1. Some people have realistic expectations, so gen 1 will be fine for them.

Another well-considered comment...

On one side we have the "Well you should have done your research" and on the other we get "Well you won't know until you try yourself".  I took both approaches.

I researched a product that was not available on the market. I weighed up the VR options and dived in anyway, knowing that PSVR was the cheapest option and should offer at least an acceptable experience.

I also ignored all opinions and chose to make up my own mind about PSVR.

Exactly what did I do wrong here? I don't like it, so I'm either retarded, have no motor control, a lier or have a God complex. If nothing else, you sheeple amuse me.

Voicing an opinion against something provides others with two sides to an argument. Without opposing points of view, there's blind acceptance. Doing so when considering a $550 AU ($400 USD) purchase with a restrictive return policy is not the smart approach.

At the very least, I'm dragging your expectations as low as they can possibly go so when you go to buy the PSVR you might think it ain't half-bad after-all. For anyone expecting more than rudimentary VR on low-resolution screens, I think we can all agree it's best to wait this out until a better product comes along.

Edited by ant1th3s1s