PSVR - do NOT buy!

antithesis

Well this has taken off.

Try playing the London Heist while using the two move controllers. That made me go yep in 6 months time we are going to be playing some amazing VR Sony games. the movement and interaction were great, from loading guns to playing with items like a lighter and a stack of money.

Another thing to note is when a new console comes out the devs are don't come close to getting a perfect graphic game until some time and the games at release are never as smooth as games that come out after a year or two post release.

I am not saying its perfect or worth the money but this is a big step forward and within a year devs will make it worth the money if they continue down this line.

Edited by fisty123

Japanimegamer's cutting of the rest of the quote was a little childish. I think ant's given up on trying to have an adult discussion with him.

What? that's not my quote...

Actually, ant had originally posted the post that short and Japanimegamer didn't cut it at all.. not at the time anyways.

Thank you.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

Definitely demo before purchasing, and not just VR content either. Play a regular game and ask to view some video content. VR games will be few and far between and for this thing to have legs, cinema mode needed to look good. I can without hesitation state that it is bad.

The headset itself feels kinda junky. The noseflaps are really obtrusive & don't need to exist, and the screen resolution is nowhere near up to snuff. At that close to your eyes, 4K is the only acceptable resolution. I wear light prescription glasses and it was immediately like I'd taken them off. I couldn't read text very easily, I got an instant headache (I don't get motion sickness) and my eyes are still sore hours later after no more than 15 mins of use.

I'm not trying to bad-mouth the PSVR, I'm just suggesting that you set expectations to meh, dial it down a notch or two, then dial it down right down to "seriously...this is as good as Sony could produce?"

I don't say that lightly and the veterans of the PS3 / PS4 communities know that I'm a stand-up guy who has nothing but good things to say about Sony. They really, really dropped the ball on this one. 3D on PS3 was much better than PSVR and we all know how that ended...

Just please keep in mind that this is one person's opinion based on their experience. I was skeptical but was blown away when I finally tried it last night. The blur just did not seem as severe as what I'm reading from this impression. Just like how mileage varies with 3D, I think the same holds true here.

I'm sold that this is the future guys. Mind blowing stuff.

Are you saying all you tried was moving the screen further away / closer by pressing the button? I found you had to move the entire headset up / down on your forehead to make the text etc clear.

FFS...what kind of a moron do you think I am? The stupidity is palpable.

Well now you're just quoting others without using your own experience because the two games you claim to have tried both work with the normal controller.

No. I'm offering independent sources to backup my argument given you've all but called me a bald-faced lier. Apparently Kotaku are liers too. So are screenshots, liers, all of them. I get it, if someone disagrees with you and offers hard evidence to support the argument, they're incapable of telling the truth.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I don't care if everyone or no-one at all agrees with me here, my suggestion is simply to not to walk in blind. Sony doesn't want you returning these things, so tread with caution.

It seems you do care as the last 8 pages you been replying to everybody the same things...i guess its one way to keeping it active..even ps4

I already figured the first generation of psvr isnt going to be great. Its like the 1st generation or batches of games. Remember how the first year of games looked on any system? Ex. Have you seen prototype 1 vs prototype 2 for the same system? Much improved the later. Even early ps4 games weren't that amazing but look at them now? Yeah the hardware isnt going to be changed but Developers can surely make their games better utilizing the actual power of the psvr. But its obvious you already have a bad taste fir it. So any praises to psvr hust wont go thru to you it seems.

Except the sliding is not the only thing to do, if you have not put the headset on correctly then no amount of sliding will help you while tilting the set itself makes all the difference. At this point you're really msking me think that you did not figure this out while you had your headset on.

Sure, ignore the rest of my post because you don't know yet how you can explain your lack of trophies in Playroom. Are you going with an "alt account" excuse or will you keep ignoring it? And how about any form of acknowledgement that you seem to be the only one here having that much trouble seeing clearly in VR, or why you claimed that the controls did not work? Surely you would not want to miss an opportunity to mention that all those people with VR claiming it's not as bad as you make it out to be are blind people in love with television from the eighties...

For Christ's sake, how old are you? Do you not have alt accounts that you use to trial games so you don't end up with an endless list of 1 Trophy entries on your profile?  Would you like me to take screenshots next time?

If there are lies being perpetrated here, it's by Sony not me. The only thing that comes close to a differentiator is that I wear glasses, something Sony said will be supported. I'm not talking thick bottle-caps here, I'm talking fonts on-screen a metre away are slightly blurry. Wearing the VR headset is like taking my glasses off, while still wearing them.

Yes, I adjusted the headset properly. You're just going to have to accept that I'm not some sausage-fingered, neanderthal-headed troglodyte who is incapable of putting his pants on one leg at a time. It doesn't take genius-level intelligence to manipulate two buttons and move the unit along X, Y and Z planes.

Cinematic Mode is tantamount to viewing a bad TV. Test it yourself. Play a game and watch a movie on PSVR. Now take the helmet off and look at the same game / movie on a HDTV. Would you seriously consider using the PSVR again for this purpose? I wouldn't, and it was one of the primary motives for buying a PSVR because good VR content will be few and far between and I can't justify the expense to play a handful of mediocre games. Learn from the past, this is Move 2.0.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Yep, it's real hard to press a button to slide the screen forward. The headset has a sum total of two buttons (not counting the on/off and audio switches on the cable). If it takes you more than 5 mins to setup the headset to an optimal position, you lack opposable thumbs.

I gave this thing a red hot go and remained unimpressed to the point where I was compelled to return it. End of story.

Be careful there tiger, there's no winning that fight. Why would I intentionally badmouth a product I pre-ordered day one and looked forward to for over two years? "He didn't like it, he must be lying! Get the pitchforks!". Stupid, stupid comment.

Yep, it's just me. Nothing to see here -

ddh3zbohvun0n23rzsvv.gif

z9tdaj4o1vpaapi1n5mu.gif

g2iggizylfq9jygd3ud9.gif

Read the full article here - http://kotaku.com/playstation-vr-the-kotaku-review-1787424830

Look, all I ask is you demo the PSVR and go into it with your eyes open. If you remain impressed, drop your coin. If not, save your money until something better comes along.

You know what is super immersive, a bunch of floating hands. Why doesn't it at least model your wrists and arms too?

Edited by Stevieboy
No need to broadcast who you have put on ignore, or why.
  • Like 3

It seems you do care as the last 8 pages you been replying to everybody the same things...i guess its one way to keeping it active..even ps4

I already figured the first generation of psvr isnt going to be great. Its like the 1st generation or batches of games. Remember how the first year of games looked on any system? Ex. Have you seen prototype 1 vs prototype 2 for the same system? Much improved the later. Even early ps4 games weren't that amazing but look at them now? Yeah the hardware isnt going to be changed but Developers can surely make their games better utilizing the actual power of the psvr. But its obvious you already have a bad taste fir it. So any praises to psvr hust wont go thru to you it seems.

Nothing can change the 960 x 1080p x 2 screen resolution. That's the problem with PSVR, it's too low resolution to offer acceptable quality. Nothing can change that until we get a new generation of tech.

If you're satisfied by low-res screens (no-one can dispute that) and clunky controls (apparently screenshots lie now), then dive in. If not, wait it out.

My glasses were not too bad but it did look slightly better without them but it was not that much of a change for me.

I guess the graphics do not worry me as a I play a lot of games were the actual gameplay comes first before the graphics.

I would not care if it was a 8-bit as long as the games were fun to play, sure amazing graphics look good but if your going to pay money for a full price game just for the graphics I think its best to watch a movie.

As for the controls I have no had issues with it at all. Mine worked rather well, and while the one review that posted if you read the whole thing that reviewer said they were skeptical to start with and its Kotaku who are so one sided that they don't care about anything unless its 100% something they like. Not a bad site for news but I will pass when it comes to their reviews.

There are many reviews saying yes its a amazing and there are many saying its ok but not amazing, If you get the chance to play a demo before hand I would do it just to see how you feel about it. But I am a supporter it does have its issues but in the end its a lot of fun.

Edited by fisty123
  • Like 1

I am loving the passion in this thread. The longer it goes on the more obvious your single minded determination to shit all over this device is. To be honest I lost any respect for your "objective opinion about 4 pages ago. But it is enjoyable to watch others also calling you out. Maybe it's time to move on

It's not single-minded determination, it's arguing the opposing position from the horde of slathering fanboys incapable of seeing the world through anything but rose-coloured lenses.

I don't like PSVR. I've posted reasons why and supported it with third-party evidence. Apparently, because I'm so clearly wrong, there must be something wrong with me.

Opinion has little to do with objectivity. Demo the thing yourself. Weigh it up against alternative interfaces. Make a value judgment. IMHO (one should NEVER have to preface any statement on a forum with IMHO), PSVR is not worth buying for the asking price for the reasons I've offered. You'll draw your own conclusions.

In the end I really, really wanted to like it, but couldn't quite simply because the 1080p screens are of insufficient quality when positioned that close to your eyes. Second generation games and PS4 Pro can't fix that.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

When you spend 400 bucks on VR set and it don't work how you expected it to

Another troll? You're all crawling out from under the bridges today.

Read the thread, you'll find I'm quite well-informed and set my expectations appropriately. Sony failed to meet them.

We shouldn't justify the low bar set here by propping up poor VR technology based on the promised land of milk and honey that VR is clearly not capable of delivering until 4K or perhaps even 8K.

Dive in, but know you're backing a short-term pony and this is not the droid you're looking for.

I don't like PSVR. I've posted reasons why and supported it with third-party evidence. Apparently, because I'm so clearly wrong, there must be something wrong with me.

It's not because you're wrong, it's the way you're responding like your experience speaks for everyone's and is the final authority. Then when someone responds you jump the gun and throw insults at them. Not saying you're the only one but at the very least since this is your thread you could be handling it much better.

• Like 1

I don't get it. why software and hardware makers want to get rid of the traditional controllers and TV screens and replace it with motion, touch screen and VR and other stuff that makes you feel " in the game "?

I thought the dual shock 3, 4 and my trusty TV is all of what I need to enjoy my games.

giphy.gif

And also to appeal to a broader audience.

• Like 1

It's not because you're wrong, it's the way you're responding like your experience speaks for everyone's and is the final authority. Then when someone responds you jump the gun and throw insults at them. Not saying you're the only one but at the very least since this is your thread you could be handling it much better.

Once again, no-one should need to preface a forum post with IMHO, that's a given. I have not once told someone that their experience with the PSVR is "wrong", but I've been told that myself on numerous occasions because my experience differed from their own. I know what I saw and it wasn't pretty.

And show me one instance of where I've insulted anyone in this thread? Stupid comments have been made and that stupidity has been highlighted because they implied that I have the IQ of a walnut by being incapable of pressing two buttons. There are very few people here smarter or more experienced in this area than me (my gaming setups are mind-blowing), so to suggest basic user error as the fault is going to be dismissed quickly. 

If you bothered to read more than a handful of posts, I've suggested numerous times to make up your own mind about PSVR, but be mindful that not all experiences are positive. It's an expensive toy with limited scope, so at the very least demo it before purchasing, which is kinda hard to do for day one pre-orders.

My own experience was negative and it's in your best interest to take both positive and negative experiences on-board to make an informed value judgment of the PSVR. It'll either dull high expectations, which is a good thing, or save you some money, which is another good thing. That's altruism for you baby.

I have no problem painting myself as the villian here, but all I'm doing is offering my honest assessment of PSVR, based on realistic expectations and the ability to make an informed value judgment of its worth. I'm doing it right, I thought it was crap, accept that and move on.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I don't get it. why software and hardware makers want to get rid of the traditional controllers and TV screens and replace it with motion, touch screen and VR and other stuff that makes you feel " in the game "?

I thought the dual shock 3, 4 and my trusty TV is all of what I need to enjoy my games.

They aren't trying to get rid of your basic controller/TV gaming. VR will never replace that and nothing ever will imo, these gimmicks come and go all the time. Maybe though if companies want this VR to last, they'll keep polishing it and not leave it to die like motion gaming and so on. But I can easily say once VR becomes pretty stable, lots of issues solved etc; there'll still be a higher demand for games you can just play with controller and TV.

• Like 1

7 pages of thread following the personal statements of a single person that talk as God on the Earth about something tested for 10 mins and delusions about conspiracies of Sony to refuse any returns. But at the same time Sony allow to everyone to play with PSVR basically everywhere around the world. There are hundreds of PSVR in malls, game shops and retailers available for an hands on, visit one of these store and make your own idea about it.

There's nowhere to demo one where i live, just sayin...

Wait, you transfer Jizz from your face and ears to the VR headset? Not judging, just an odd thing to admit on a public board

I'm just kidding, of course...just thought it was funny :D

Not my jizz, obviously :ahem:, that's merely an exaggerated example. But would you really want to take to put something on your face and in your ears that has someone else's face juice and earwax on it?

I get that Sony don't want them back based on hygiene, but it they fail to meet even modest expectations, or simply don't work with someone's glass prescription, they need to be accountable for their product.