PSVR - do NOT buy!

antithesis

OT: I like the thread. It seems like you're trying to lower the hype so that people react more appropriately to the PSVR. Your comment about it being worth ~$250 instead of ~$500 seems like a fair point. I had no intention of buying it full price and I've previously said it seemed like it was worth maybe $200 from what videos I saw before the release. While it already is the economical VR experience, it still seems overpriced for what you get. I still haven't tried it, but that's my opinion at this point.

Yes. Don't believe the hype and try before you buy, that's the entire premise of this thread. Set phasers to 'meh' and chances are you'll walk away a happy camper.

I personally don't feel PSVR is worth $550 but I would buy it for less than half of that. Of course, if that happens, PSVR's already failed and is sitting in the bargain bin.

I really wanted to love PSVR and I'm a long-term Sony fan. I have never in my 44 years on planet Earth felt compelled to return a product, especially if the reason was I simply didn't like it. But I had to do it here because I found it intolerable by virtue of the low-resolution screens burning holes through my retina.

1080p sounds enough, but it really isn't when the screen is a few cm from your eyes. I found the lines between enormous pixels, poor image quality, blurring, bleeding and warping of anything not in direct focus to be too much of a distraction to persist. The best way I can put it (some disagree, but it was my experience, so I'm sticking to it), is PSVR is like watching a pre-HD-era TV from way too close to the screen. That's a big leap backwards that I wasn't prepared to take.

4K is the more sensible starting point for the pixel density to not be a distraction at close range, but it has to be affordable too, which is the Catch 22. Sony, Valve, Facebook etc all need consumers to adopt the technology for further R&D to be financially viable. That's a tough bridge to cross based on the first-generation headsets, which, in my view, are nowhere near up to snuff based on my short and unsatisfying time with PSVR .

I know kids are excited about VR, but just take a step back and judge it not only on its merits, but by competing ways to view and play games. Is mediocre really good enough? Is it better than playing on a HDTV? Not for me, not by a long shot.

Give it time, we'll get there, as long as enough people are satisfied enough with what's currently on offer. Unfortunately and to my great disappointment, I'm not one of them.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I have never really posted anything on here but i must say its ridiculous how many people are giving the OP a hard time about this. What i find hilarious is that the only bit of granular evidence provided to support either claim (whether the PSVR is good or bad) is the screenshots the OP himself has provided and i must agree... it looks shocking lol If anything it reminds of PS1 days... Seeing that is all we really have to go off (other than peoples opinions) Id like to thank the OP for the heads up.. cause in actual fact, that is all the man is trying to do

On a side note, im wondering if the PSVR is even compatible with setups like mine. I run a Sony Muteki surround sound system that my PS4 passes through with all my cables behind my wall..

Does anyone know if the processor unit can pass through a stereo system like mine?

Demon--Prototype.png

Edited by Demon--Prototype
  • Like 1

I have never really posted anything on here but i must say its ridiculous how many people are giving the OP a hard time about this. What i find hilarious is that the only bit of granular evidence provided to support either claim (whether the PSVR is good or bad) is the screenshots the OP himself has provided and i must agree... it looks shocking lol If anything it reminds of PS1 days... Seeing that is all we really have to go off (other than peoples opinions) Id like to thank the OP for the heads up.. cause in actual fact, that is all the man is trying to do

On a side note, im wondering if the PSVR is even compatible with setups like mine. I run a Sony Muteki surround sound system that my PS4 passes through with all my cables behind my wall..

Does anyone know if the processor unit can pass through a stereo system like mine?

Check the video review on Gamespot, it's pretty fair and balanced. Jimquisition's another good starting point and his opinion tends to reflect my own, so go there if you want a less than glowing review of VR in general. Kotaku's review is also fair and sets better expectations than OMGWTFPSVRBBQ reviews on other gaming sites.

I realise I'm pissing on the collective PSVR picnic, but we need to be aware of the shortcomings as well as the bells and whistles to flesh out an informed opinion. PSVR might be the poor man's VR, but as Jim deftly put it, they're the least expensive privilege goggles on the market. That is until you put PS4 Pro into the picture, then the cost equation blows out.

The PSVR processing unit is a HDMI pass-through device that sits between the PS4 and the TV. It also eats a USB slot on the PS4. Note that the PSVR can't do HDR pass-through.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Check the video review on Gamespot. It's pretty fair but they do try their best to paint it in a good light. Jimquisition's another good starting point and his opinion tends to reflect my own, so go there if you want a less than glowing review of VR in general. Kotaku's review is also fair and sets better expectations than OMGWTFPSVRBBQ reviews on other gaming sites.

I realise I'm pissing on the collective PSVR picnic, but we need to be aware of the shortcomings as well as the bells and whistles to flesh out an informed opinion.

The PSVR processing unit is a HDMI pass-through device that sits between the PS4 and the TV. It also eats a USB slot on the PS4. Note that the PSVR can't do HDR pass-through.

I'd rather it get pissed on than praised, that way you don't set yourself up for disappointment when trying it out.

I understand the PSVR is a processing unit thats a HDMI pass-through device but am wondering if it can be passed through my stereo.. ie PS4 HDMI into PSVR> PSVR HDMI into Stereo> Stereo HDMI into TV???

Demon--Prototype.png 

Edited by Stevieboy
Clean up.
  • Like 1

Ant

Please just shut the fuck up

If your head was any further up your own ass it'd come out your neck again

Your opinion means shit, you played games that were made without VR as their original playing style

Did you play Ny of the actual games? Until Dawn? As reviews are majorly praising that for the immersion and not mentioning any of your issues

You obviously think you're God's gift to the world you thinking too highly of yourself and your opinion

When really they're shitty opinions that come across as a rabid old man desperate not to move on with the times

Wonk wonk wonk. Thanks for coming. Have fun with that ban.

There is immersive gameplay to be had here and if you can live with the low-resolution screens, some fun to be had. Every PSVR and PSVR game review I've seen that is worth its salt mentions blurry gameplay and the low-res screens, so you're kidding yourself if you don't think it's an issue.

Take a look at the Gamespot PSVR review - the videos there demonstrate the blur and motion control shake, and I can assure you games look nowhere near that good (good's an overstatement, but good by comparison) on the PSVR headset.

Here's a review of Driveclub VR, if you'd actually bothered to do some research instead of jumping aboard the hype train -

In Short: Rather than being PlayStation VR’s killer app this updated racer lays bare its limitations in embarrassing fashion, at least until the PS4 Pro comes along.

Pros: Most of the content from the original game is still here, including the online mode. Driving model is also still the same, with a good balance between accessibility and realism.

Cons: The visuals are horribly comprised by VR, and are not only ugly but so blurry that at times it’s hard to see where you’re going. Saves from the original game won’t work.

Sandbox games can get away from that a little bit by virtue of limited gaming experiences, like on-rail shooters such as Until Dawn. But what happens when you actually push the hardware? A blurry, ugly mess. That was my experience in all facets of PSVR, it didn't take long to figure out that it wasn't worth keeping.

PSVR is a step back to PS3 era graphics and Move gameplay. That's not moving with the times, that's recycling dead tech. Try it for yourself before judging.

I'm an early adopter of all tech and embrace change, unlike most gamers nailed to their loungechairs and controllers. This is the first time I've ever said "Nup, not good enough". Except maybe the Wii, that was a crap sandwich too. I want VR and by proxy motion control to succeed, but PSVR isn't the vehicle to take it there.

I understand the PSVR is a processing unit thats a HDMI pass-through device but am wondering if it can be passed through my stereo.. ie PS4 HDMI into PSVR> PSVR HDMI into Stereo> Stereo HDMI into TV???

It'll depend on how you're getting HDMI into the stereo and by that I'm assuming you mean a receiver. If it works for PS4, it should work for PSVR.

As long as the chain between PSVR and PS4 is intact, whatever happens upstream shouldn't matter.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Ok, I got my PSVR all hooked up and I can categorically & absolutely recommend that you DO NOT BUY this piece of sh!t. It's fucking awful.

Remember when you were a kid and you sat WAAAYYY too close to the old CRT screen and you could see the pixels clear as day while everything else was washed out and muddy. That's PSVR.

Everything looks blurry and smudged and I need to pull the screen right up to the point where they're colliding with my glasses. I don't think wearing glasses is the problem, it'll look like shit for everyone - the resolution may be 1080p, but it looks upscaled from 480p.

The nose flaps are bloody annoying too and the headband is a sweat magnet.

Regular games and movies look like crap. VR's a slight improvement because you need to look around to see the otherwise equally blurry and smudged crap on-screen.

I'm taking these back. Day one buy. Day one return. If anyone's pre-ordered, cancel before you waste your money!

If you bought VR for the graphics then you sir are an idiot. Go buy a PS4 Pro for graphics. PS VR is for an emersion experience. It's fantastic, and as for YOUR blurriness that's due to you not fitting the headset right. Nose flaps annoying you then cut them off, or your nose. and sounds like you may have a sweating issue if you are sweating that much

• Like 2

If you bought VR for the graphics then you sir are an idiot. Go buy a PS4 Pro for graphics. PS VR is for an emersion experience. It's fantastic, and as for YOUR blurriness that's due to you not fitting the headset right. Nose flaps annoying you then cut them off, or your nose. and sounds like you may have a sweating issue if you are sweating that much

Maybe read the full thread before making assumptions and mouthing off.

Read this - http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-vr-review/1100-6444197/

And this - http://www.thejimquisition.com/until-dawn-rush-of-blood-review/

They're both positive reviews, so I'm removing the bias, but this is pretty much the best PSVR has to offer. If you can overlook the obvious shortcomings, you'll get something out of PSVR. I couldn't, so it went back. Enjoy Move 2.0 while it lasts.

Off topic, this is probably the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

It's also true. I've been playing video games for close to 40 years. That's a tonne of experience. I'm a fucking smart dude too, only Gauss has me covered there (that guy is Cthulhu-level smart) and Sly's no dummy either.

My gaming setups are incredibly complex, combining multiple consoles, HDMI and TOSlink matrices, multiple computers, USB switches, USB hubs, game capture devices, gaming AMP / DACs and all manner of gaming paraphernalia, all interconnected. If there's one guy here who knows his shit about gaming hardware, it's me. To suggest "you a fucking morin, you carn put a hedset on, you swetty" is stupidity of the highest order.

PSVR is not only the poor man's VR, but a poor product overall. Feel free to disagree, but having spent close to $100K on gaming stuff during my 4 decades of video gaming, I'd say I'm pretty qualified to make that assessment.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I'm surprised this thread stays open. Don't we already have a thread to discuss PSVR

Either way, it's clear that people can be very pro or very contra about it. Makes me all the more excited to try it myself.

I don't even think it's a debate about being pro or con about PSVR. It's about judging the product on its merits right now, not the promise VR offers for the future. I genuinely wanted to like it (why else would I preorder?), but fail to see how the obvious shortcomings of the PSVR can be overlooked, at least not for the asking price.

Others are absolutely free to disagree, I envy their ability to draw some joy from PSVR and I wholeheartedly recommend demo-ing PSVR before purchase, but it was too sub-standard compared to traditional couch or desktop gaming, and even 3D on the PS3 for me to entertain keeping it. I wish that wasn't the case, but sadly, that's how it panned out for me.

I definitely want VR to succeed, but PSVR isn't the way to do it. Maybe next time around when 4K hits headsets - it'll be a totally different picture, quite literally.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

so wait, you're telling me that you need to sacrifice resolution and graphics to run games in VR at high frame rates? YOU DON'T SAY!!!! that's how VR is, you should've known that, PSVR $500 + PS4 $300< Vive/Oculus $800 or more + PC $1200 or a lot more

Oculus/Vive = 1080x1200=1.296.000 pixels, 2 subpixels per pixel = 2.592.000 subpixels per pixel, 90fps

PSVR = 960x1080=1.036.800 pixels, 3 subpixels per pixel = 3.110.400 subpixels per pixel, 120fps

Oculus/Vive have ~250.000 more pixels, BOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO

PVR has ~510.000 more subpixels per pixel, it has a RGB OLED 3 SUBPIXELS PER PIXEL, WHICH IS BETTER FOR VR, PSVR HAS THE BEST SCREEN, you didn't see that coming did you?

PS4 has the highest fps also

Edited by TCODE1

Not to derail your thread, but claiming that you are smarter than most of the people in a mostly anonymous forum is both silly and insulting.  Also, implying that 40 years of playing videogames or having some sort of extravagant "set up" makes anyone an expert in anything other than playing videogames or setting up said set ups is also silly.  While I don't doubt your negative experience with PSVR, I do have issues with you claiming your superiority based on your tonne of experience.  That being said, I hope you find some sort of gaming experience that works for you.

Take it however you want. Experience counts when you've tried any and everything the gaming world has to offer since the late 70s. I realise my statement is arrogant and abrasive, but it is what it is given the topic at hand. Every third fool in this thread pulls the "You did it wrong" card. Sorry ladies, I did it right and it ain't pretty.

I'm glad you like PSVR and yeah, Jim's kinda a dick too (I'm casting myself in that role pretty neatly), but he does raise some valid arguments about VR that I agree with and it didn't take his fat arse saying it for me to formulate that opinion.

Know a co-worker who owns a headset and he was generous enough to invite me over to try it out for little over an hour. And by that I mean he heard me talking about it and suckered me in with promises of EVE: Valkyrie. Wasn't $400 worth of impressed, was mentally and physiologically irritated with this thing sitting on my face, and I had the same sinking feeling I get in my chest whenever I get dental XRAYs the entire time I used it.

All in all, I'd wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone who prefers that their gaming hardware to be a pain in the ass.

so wait, you're telling me that you need to sacrifice resolution and graphics to run game sin VR at high frame rates? YOU DON'T SAY!!!! that's how VR is, you should've known that, PSVR $500 + PS4 $300< Vive/Oculus $800 or more + PC $1200 or a lot more

Oculus/Vive = 1080x1200=1.296.000 pixels, 2 subpixels per pixel = 2.592.000 subpixels per pixel, 90fps

PSVR = 960x1080=1.036.800 pixels, 3 subpixels per pixel = 3.110.400 subpixels per pixel, 120fps

Oculus/Vive have ~250.000 more pixels, BOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO

PVR has ~510.000 more subpixels per pixel, it has a RGB OLED 3 SUBPIXELS PER PIXEL, WHICH IS BETTER FOR VR, PSVR HAS THE BEST SCREEN, you didn't see that coming did you?

PS4 has the highest fps also

That's the thing about armchair analysis - PSVR looks good on paper, but put it on your face then tell me it's good.

960 x 1080p in insufficient quality at several centimetres from your eyeball, period. I don't see anyone arguing that point, merely that they can either put up with it, or not. I fall into the latter category.

Aside from that, VR itself looks very promising and offers some decent immersion, but it's not where it needs to be to offer a quality experience.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Take it however you want. Experience counts when you've tried any and everything the gaming world has to offer since the late 70s. I realise my statement is arrogant and abrasive, but it is what it is given the topic at hand. Every third fool in this thread pulls the "You did it wrong" card. Sorry ladies, I did it right and it ain't pretty.

I'm glad you like PSVR and yeah, Jim's kinda a dick too (I'm casting myself in that role pretty neatly), but he does raise some valid arguments about VR that I agree with and it didn't take his fat arse saying it for me to formulate that opinion.

Yes, experience counts as always and will always.  You are posting your opinion on VR, which is completely fine and acceptable, yet you are only focusing on the negative responses and reviews to support your opinion.  I accept you didn't like it, that's fine.  I also accept all the other reviews and responses that are positive. Out of every 2 negative reviews PSVR has there are 6 positive reviews.  I don't think it's a conspiracy.  It's too bad you don't like it though, it really is fun.  Which, at the end of the day, is what videogames are supposed to be.  

• Like 1

that's where PS4 PRO comes in

For software, yes. Pro is almost a prerequisite for VR and the obvious driver for a PS4 hardware revision. It's an acknowledgement from Sony that the PS4 is not up to task for VR gaming.

For hardware, no. Games are not the problem, low screen resolution in the headset, general blurry presentation and poor image quality in VR is the issue. PS4 Pro will address some but not all of those issues. If it can make PSVR look crispy, I'll jump back on the wagon, but nothing can be done to enhance the 960 x 1080 screens.

Some people can overlook the hardware shortcomings based on the promise of PS4 Pro-enhanced software. I personally couldn't and my experience with the VR headset was nothing short of bad.

I wish that wasn't the case, but I'm just passing on an honest appraisal and the flip-side of the PSVR coin so others don't get caught up in the hype and can make a level-headed judgment of whether or not PSVR is for them.

Yes, experience counts as always and will always.  You are posting your opinion on VR, which is completely fine and acceptable, yet you are only focusing on the negative responses and reviews to support your opinion.  I accept you didn't like it, that's fine.  I also accept all the other reviews and responses that are positive. Out of every 2 negative reviews PSVR has there are 6 positive reviews.  I don't think it's a conspiracy.  It's too bad you don't like it though, it really is fun.  Which, at the end of the day, is what videogames are supposed to be.  

No I didn't. I explicitly selected a couple of positive reviews for the PSVR, and even they highlighted the issues. Watch the Gamespot video (which I think is the fairest assessment I've seen / read) and Jim's review of Until Dawn (which he calls the best VR game to date), demo the unit yourselves, then make a judgment as to whether or not you personally find the shortcomings tolerable. Just don't fork out $400 on PSVR sight unseen, there's a 50/50 chance it will lead to disappointment and they're not going to be easy to return.

For me, it was motion control all over again with a lower quality screen stuck to my face. Honest to god, I wish that wasn't the case and I'd have much preferred to have started a "You've gotta buy this thing!" topic, but I just couldn't do it. I didn't get that "Wow!" feeling I needed to justify the purchase. All I could see were the flaws, which were too numerous and obvious to overcome. Given how difficult it was to return the PSVR, I thought it better to lower people's expectations and equip them with an alternative perspective before taking the plunge on what is a fairly substantial console gaming investment.

I'm a brutally honest kind of guy, which can get me into trouble and I obviously cop a lot of flak for it, but I'm ok with that if it means adding a little ying to the yang.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

the worst remote manfacture Sony has ever made [unless im ignorant to PS older remotes]

Stopped reading there. It's manufactured by PDP, not Sony. Which is why Sony's name is nowhere on the remote, and why the remote's box says; "Official licensed product" and directly under that is PDP's logo. And the remote wasn't out at launch, so how can it's quality be evidence of the launch being "disappointing"? Stop pretending your opinion matters more than it does. You didn't like it fine, but stop trying to act like all the things you're talking about are necessities that matter to every single person playing games. They would have to in order for their absence to objectively make something "disappointing". And "disappointed" is purely a subjective word by the way. "sad or displeased because someone or something has failed to fulfill one's hopes or expectation" / "(of hopes or expectations) prevented from being realized". Hopes and expectations are not objective.

If you want to talk about objective quality, don't frame it in the context of "disappointment".

• Like 2

I'm personally enjoying the games on there..  I can understand that the graphics aren't crystal clear as in quality wise. I'm having issues here and there with the blurriness, but I just adjust the face piece and mess around with the headband..

..I also don't see how the headband is a sweat magnet.. I'm perfectly fine, not profusely sweating from my forehead at all.

The only slight complaint I have, but I mean I guess it makes sense because I was playing Job Simulator for a good 4 hours, is that my hands and arms feel like feathers lol. They feel so light and it's strange.

Anyways, wrapping this up.. Some people are going to find using this headset pretty fun. The only two games I've played for hours straight is Job Simulator &PlayStation VR worlds. Both games were fantastic. Job Simulator, the graphics aren't supposed to be high end to begin with so I had an extremely positive experience with that. A couple of different moments of London Heist in PSVR Worlds and also that Ocean diving game, I can see that some of the quality of the games were eh, but the headset is still fully functional.. along with the controller/move controllers as well.

I personally like the PSVR, but I do agree with you about the sweatband. Luckily, I bought it to only play vr-games, not to use it as a home theater.

Plus, this gave me a reason to drive an hour to get Taco Bell, so I have another reason to be thankful.

Edited by Gaberdude