PSVR - do NOT buy!

antithesis

Interesting review.  However, my experience (bought it at launch) has been much different.  Frankly, I love it.  My friends and family have tried it out, and everyone who has tried it so far has thought it was amazing.  We did Rush of Blood, Brookhaven Experiment, Playroom VR, Ocean Descent, the Kitchen and Job Simulator so far.  I hope to have more people over to try it this weekend.

Its lower res than my TV, sure, but being able to look around 360 degrees makes up for it, in my opinion.  I even love some of the non-interactive experiences, like the HMS Belfast tour and Allumette.

Right now I am playing Tethered, and am really enjoying the diorama feel to the world.  Sure, version 2 on the PS5 will be much better, but I love what I've got right now.

Oh, and I knew going into it that I would not like cinematic mode.  I only use it to navigate to my next VR experience.  I don't try to do non-VR things with the headset, as my TV's look much better.

“there’ll be a big boost to performance with no noticeable impact to image quality in the HMD [head-mounted display].”

Exactly what we expected.

"Speaking with Eurogamer about what PS4 Pro could bring to PSVR, Cerny revealed that there’s advanced multi-resolution support for increased performance in VR titles, allowing games to have the edges rendered at a lower resolution."

At least provide context. While this doesn't sound promising for better -visuals- in PSVR, it doesn't mean they're not happening. Your quote is specifically focused on the PS4 Pro's 'multi-resolution support'. He's not saying "The PS4 Pro will not make games look any better", he's just saying that using multi-resolution support, you can increase performance with no noticeable graphical downgrade.

I think it is clear to see even at this relatively early stage that there is a big difference in quality of visuals in PSVR games, with some looking much nicer than others.

It is a shame that You tube clips do not highlight this better cos i can assure anyone that what you see in the headset is not always what you see on a you tube video which might be a bit of a dissapointment to some people when they get to play something on PSVR that they expected to look amazing but instead only then looks average at best (subject to individual opinion).

Time will improve things, but lazy development is still lazy development and no amount of tweaks from the PS4 Pro will transform poor titles when that happens, but i do expect the Pro to sharpen things up for many games.

I stand by my belief that the PS4 Pro exists because of PSVR and much less for other reasons.

Ok, I got my PSVR all hooked up and I can categorically & absolutely recommend that you DO NOT BUY this piece of sh!t. It's fucking awful.Remember when you were a kid and you sat WAAAYYY too close to the old CRT screen and you could see the pixels clear as day while everything else was washed out and muddy. That's PSVR.Everything looks blurry and smudged and I need to pull the screen right up to the point where they're colliding with my glasses. I don't think wearing glasses is the problem, it'll look like shit for everyone - the resolution may be 1080p, but it looks upscaled from 480p.The nose flaps are bloody annoying too and the headband is a sweat magnet.Regular games and movies look like crap. VR's a slight improvement because you need to look around to see the otherwise equally blurry and smudged crap on-screen.I'm taking these back. Day one buy. Day one return. If anyone's pre-ordered, cancel before you waste your money!

Sorry couldn't be bothered looking for the actual post in this thread but I enjoyed reading your views on PSVR and I remember you said you were going to martyr yourself for the community by getting the PS4Pro. I know it comes out in a few days so looking for to your views on it. I am eager to hear your opinions.

I think it is clear to see even at this relatively early stage that there is a big difference in quality of visuals in PSVR games, with some looking much nicer than others.

It is a shame that You tube clips do not highlight this better cos i can assure anyone that what you see in the headset is not always what you see on a you tube video which might be a bit of a dissapointment to some people when they get to play something on PSVR that they expected to look amazing but instead only then looks average at best (subject to individual opinion).

Time will improve things, but lazy development is still lazy development and no amount of tweaks from the PS4 Pro will transform poor titles when that happens, but i do expect the Pro to sharpen things up for many games.

I stand by my belief that the PS4 Pro exists because of PSVR and much less for other reasons.

I think people know watching a YouTube video doesn't really give you the full experience of those games.. but watching them can allow the player to see if the games are awkward to play etc from seeing the user's experience with it.  YoVideoGames has been doing a bunch of VR games.

I dunno though, how anyone can be happy with a headset that cost them £300+ and then also knowing the only way to make it work better is to get the upgraded system.  VR isn't the only reason, but it's quite a big reason, although if this was the case, they should have maybe considered making the headset cheaper if it is too much for the normal PS4s to handle.  I don't even know if it will improve some things though with it as the VR system itself is lacking compared to others in terms of resolution which does actually help graphics look better.

Sorry couldn't be bothered looking for the actual post in this thread but I enjoyed reading your views on PSVR and I remember you said you were going to martyr yourself for the community by getting the PS4Pro. I know it comes out in a few days so looking for to your views on it. I am eager to hear your opinions.

Martyr's a strong word, but I have preordered one and will pick it up on Thursday.

There are three potential issues with the PS4 Pro before it's even out of the gate -

1. Pro throttles existing games down to vanilla PS4 specifications, so there will be no performance gains, unless older PS4 games receive Pro patches.

2. Apparently new games such as Deus Ex and Infinity Warfare have more framerate issues on Pro than vanilla PS4 and there's no visible graphics improvement, aside from support for upscaling to 4K.

3. Multiplayer games must perform the same on vanilla and Pro PS4s for platform parity. So there will be no advantage to owning a Pro over vanilla, except perhaps sharper textures, improved lighting etc.

On the upside -

1. Older PS4 games that receive Pro patches will either look better, perform better or both.

2. Pro uses SATA3, which will make SSDs a worthwhile performance upgrade.

3. PSVR should definitely benefit from the increased grunt under the hood.

4. Skyrim and The Last of Us are apparently native 4K, which far exceeds expectations, but should be treated with scepticism until confirmed.

Personally, I think it'll take a year or two to see real value in the Pro as developers start implementing new features to take advantage of the hardware. I don't care about 4K in the slightest, what I'd like to see is consistent 1080p @ 60FPS across the board on PS4 Pro games. However, given multiplayer games must perform at the same framerate on Pro and vanilla PS4, that's going to present a bottleneck.

The risk is we might end up with is a resolution bump for upscaling to 4K and little more, which would be pretty disappointing. Hopefully we'll get more or less ultra settings on Pro, with vanilla PS4 getting the basic version of games. What that'll mean is more densely populated maps (more background stuff), crisper textures, better processing effects and faster framerates. But the core game experience will need to be the same, by Sony's decree.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

I think people know watching a YouTube video doesn't really give you the full experience of those games.

That's not what I meant.

I was not referring to the experience, I was referring to the quality of image.

I will try to explain better...

Images can be blurry or out of focus on some games, Summer Lesson is the best example of this, I have now spoken to several other people here at PSNP via PM who own this game and have confirmed the exact same thing to me, myself and one other actually thought our headsets were faulty as Summer Lesson can be that blurry or out of focus at times.

However, if I broadcast that same game over You tube and then I watch it back then it all looks clear and nice which can be misleading to anyone who might assume this is how the game looks when it is being played with the PSVR headset, when this is not the case.

This is not to say that all PSVR games/demo's are like this because they are not, I think Wayward sky and EVE look amazing via the headset.

My point to this is not a dig at Summer Lesson (which is not a AAA game) it is not a dig at PSVR (which I still own) it is purely just to say do not rely on watching videos to see what a PSVR game looks like (I am talking about image quality here, not the actual PSVR experience) because what you see on your PC monitor in those video clips may well be very different to what you would see if you was wearing the headset and playing the game yourself and I must stress that I am referring to the image quality here and I do believe that the PS4 Pro will the boost that PSVR wants.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

• 3 weeks later...

I love mine, I watch streaming services(hulu has its own vr room for this, hoping Netflix adopts as well like they did with the gear vr(which if you want to talk about screen door and pixels, yup get a gear vr, or Google cardboard)

But I only spent $400 for the great experiences I've had so far. I was actually expecting worse.

I did not spend $3,000 however, which you probably could get a 4k screen(if it existed) (minus the computer because ps4 will not be able to handle it)

But resolution isn't the full story about a good vr experience. A lot depends on how it's games are developed.

In the end everyone will have their own opinion.

But I think the best advice is, if you haven't tried it, don't presume you'll not like it.

I did mention in a different thread that i had sold mine because i just wasnt using it and the price had gone up on ebay with xmas coming, i made a tidy profit on it.

I will get one back next year (maybe) but having owned one i know i will not buy a pre-owned one, it is easy to sweat from the forehead whilst wearing the device and i don't like the idea of someone else's bodlily fluids being absorbed by my skin :)

I made around £100 profit on mine which after having used it for the past month (albeit in small short sessions) I am happy with the sale and I have no regrets whatsoever. I think I am over the initial 'must have this' spell.

My 2017 Japanese lessons are now taken care of due to the sale, and this makes me feel a lot better inside than having a PSVR tucked away that just was not getting used and will quickly depreciate in value as of 26th December onwards.

• 1 month later...

PSVR is for me like 3D which is something optional and not actually for any serious gaming. Hopefully it will develop over the years and once its on level of NerveGear I might buy it :lol:

EDIT. lol just noticed I already commented on this.

Edited by Saionji
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...