PSVR - do NOT buy!

antithesis

The funniest thing about this thread is that there are so many people that have changed their minds about wanting the device because ONE PERSON DOESN'T LIKE IT.

Holy shit, can you guys get your own opinion instead of latching onto someone else's? Try it out for yourselves. If you hate it, then that's YOUR opinion, but you have to realize how ridiculous you look when you say something like, "Wow I didn't expect this, this is really upsetting and disappointing to me. I guess I'll take the word of a stranger and get it when Sony decides to price drop it, or upgrade the specs."

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. In this day and age, nobody has their own opinion. Everybody is into what other people are into. People only watch what other people watch, buy the games that other people love. 

This sounds kinda strange... 

It is one of the unique things that humans can do. Use language to exactly do this: transfer knowledge and experience, even of the abstract kind.

So, I'd consider it pretty clever to have a look at what other people experienced by reading about a specific topic in a very specific forum.

Without that base interest in what other people think we would probably still be in the stone age... 

This sounds kinda strange... 

It is one of the unique things that humans can do. Use language to exactly do this: transfer knowledge and experience, even of the abstract kind.

So, I'd consider it pretty clever to have a look at what other people experienced by reading about a specific topic in a very specific forum.

Without that base interest in what other people think we would probably still be in the stone age... 

You say what I posted sounds strange, which I don't think it does in any sense of the imagination, and then you say something strange yourself. Like how the only thing separating us from prehistoric times and now is the knowledge that we share with each other.

The truly unique thing humans can do is to have their own independent thoughts and feelings. I absolutely hate people that bandwagon on musicians, artists, games, shows, everything that can possibly be influenced by other people. It shows that you are a sheep and not your own person. At least back in the stone age, people rubbed rocks together for themselves. Now we have people refusing to get PSVR because some people online think it looks rubbish. I'm not sure which one is more embarrassing.*

* Do not fear the sarcasm.

p3XAwg6.png

Genuinely curious how many people made this mistake...

The only game that I've read with bad reviews is Driveclub VR, the rest have been pretty decent. Most of these games though are tech demos. 

Just commenting on this part. Not sure if you came across a review on Loading Human Chapter 1, but that game was absolutely horrible. The controls, the choppiness of the movement. It's essentially it feels like an unfinished game that's $40.. Out of all the VR games I've played, it's gotten me sick the most.

You say what I posted sounds strange, which I don't think it does in any sense of the imagination, and then you say something strange yourself. Like how the only thing separating us from prehistoric times and now is the knowledge that we share with each other.

The truly unique thing humans can do is to have their own independent thoughts and feelings. I absolutely hate people that bandwagon on musicians, artists, games, shows, everything that can possibly be influenced by other people. It shows that you are a sheep and not your own person. At least back in the stone age, people rubbed rocks together for themselves. Now we have people refusing to get PSVR because some people online think it looks rubbish. I'm not sure which one is more embarrassing.*

Do not fear the sarcasm.

p3XAwg6.png

.......I'm questioning if I even took mine off lmao. I've been having slight issues at times when the headset kinda gets blurry if it moves a certain way. This is probably my issue.  :facepalm:
Edited by DuckSwimmer

That's a rookie mistake. This ain't my first rodeo. They're blatantly obvious.

Any surface a product manufacturer doesn't want marked or scratched during packaging or shipping is covered by thin transparent stickers. Sony applied them here to the lenses and logo on the VR headset, the logo on the processing unit and the glossy plug ends.

In short, of course I removed them. You guys keep looking for user error where there is none. The closest I could get is "I wear glasses, maybe that's the problem." and was called a liar for the mere suggestion.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

That's a rookie mistake. This ain't my first rodeo. They're blatantly obvious.

Any surface a product manufacturer doesn't want marked or scratched during packaging or shipping is covered by thin plastic stickers. Sony applied them here to the lenses and logo on the VR headset, the logo on the processing unit and the glossy plug ends.

In short, of course I removed them. You guys keep looking for user error where there is none. The closest I could get is "I wear glasses, maybe that's the problem." and was called a liar for the mere suggestion.

I wouldn't call you a liar.  I have issue too since I wear glasses and need very strong lenses (I am technically blind without them), anything like 3D glasses, 3D on a 3DS screen, feels uncomfortable to my eyes and I'll reckon VR would be the same if I could ever find a place that does demos (my local GAME doesn't offer demos and they are about the only game store around for miles - my next best bet is going over to Belfast but I cba.. especially just to get a demo of something that I'll probably and more likely won't buy).

And half time honestly on Reddit, half of those posts that suggest really stupid things are fake and only made for Karma, I wouldn't believe everything you read on Reddit.

Reddit has a reputation of being one of the most trolled websites in existence. You can't take too many people seriously there, since they are under the impression that they can act at their worst because nobody will ever know who they are in real life.

In short, I think this thread has served it's purpose, and is only still here to create hot air on something that has already been mentioned many times.

Day 6 of VR for me and I've got my legs. So many things I could say about this device but really the first thing that comes to mind is watching the mountains roll by as the sun glistens off the snow in Driveclub VR as I cruise into a corner for a high speed drift. It's all about the feeling .........

Is it pretty sweet? I got DRIVECLUB installed on my PS4 but I suppose playing it in VR is a different feeling.

This is a pretty comprehensive review of the PSVR - http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/10/05/playstation-vr-review

My post is the no-bullshit, first-impression, negatives-only review, most of which is covered by big gaming sites such as IGN and Gamespot, so I'm not speaking out of my arse. I'm not sure how they arrived at a verdict of 8.5 as you have to overlook a fair number of issues, annoyances and shortcomings. I'd be more inclined to go with a 6, but to be fair I didn't progress very deep into VR because I couldn't get past the issues relating to PSVR being immature tech.

Notably, IGN said this about Cinematic Mode, which mirrors my "80's TV" comment - 

It looks similar to sitting a few feet from a very low-resolution 60-inch TV, so it’s not the ideal way to view much of anything, but it has its uses.

Given Sony's flogging Cinematic Mode as a feature, it should at least be usable, but it's a complete dud. In 4K it should be the duck's nuts, but it's way too early for that.

There aren't many and won't be many VR games and most of them will be Moved-based motion control, so you'll need to weigh up whether PSVR is worth the outlay given the limited utility. As mentioned numerous times, for my $550 AU, it wasn't, but I'd paid half of that for the experience on offer.

Anyway, I'm retreading old ground. I'll leave it to you guys to discuss further.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I wouldn't say alternatively, but I would say additionally. An impartial perspective from a trustworthy source (insert your favourite game site here) is a good starting point.

They get most of it right, but understate the issues. On the other hand, I overlooked most of the positives. Best to look at both sides of the fence before choosing the ground to stand on.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I've noticed a trend these past few years that products like the PSVR, and your newest Chevy/Dodge/Ford/Mercedes/Nissan *insert $20,000 - 25,000 vehicle* is almost always driven/used by the upper middle class white man/woman who has disposable income in the commercials. Therefore they give you the impression that you as an individual as long as you fall within middle class and have lots of disposable income are able to afford a new PSVR or the newest Ford vehicle.

Yes, because these people are a small percentage who can afford the newest technology and cars.

On the other hand, I overlooked most of the positives. Best to look at both sides of the fence before choosing the ground to stand on.

Is that a slight admission of jumping the gun a bit too early with your opinion, or are you saying that you left out the good points solely to focus on the bad?

Not trying to start something, I just would like to know where you stand now after some of the dust has settled.

Is that a slight admission of jumping the gun a bit too early with your opinion, or are you saying that you left out the good points solely to focus on the bad?

Not trying to start something, I just would like to know where you stand now after some of the dust has settled.

I know how I felt about it then and nothing has changed my mind since. All I could see from the moment I turned on PSVR were problems.

I couldn't get past the screen door effect and other visual issues, that won't change until we get a screen resolution upgrade. Despite all the appropriate tweaks, it felt like I'd taken my prescription glasses off and I wasn't able to see anything as clearly as I'd like, so it was worthless to me. 

Others will be able to overlook the issues and draw some enjoyment from PSVR. Sadly, I'm not among them. Ultimately, I am missing out on the VR experience simply because I couldn't comfortably use the headset. I'm sure some of the games will be gangbusters as nothing is going to beat VR for immersion. I am not anti-VR in the slightest, I just want it to work better than it currently does.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

That's fine and I do honestly respect your opinion, it is how you initially went about putting it out there that created the fuss.

However, I do think by you saying...

''Others will be able to overlook the issues and draw some enjoyment from PSVR''

...Is wrong, as you cannot possibly presume to know what issues other people are having unless they specify them themselves.

Your experience remains yours alone and by assuming other people must be having those same issues is wrong.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

...Is wrong, as you cannot possibly presume to know what issues other people are having unless they specify them themselves.

Your experience remains yours alone and by assuming other people must be having those same issues is wrong.

That's not true. The issues I'm talking about are -

1. Low resolution screen resulting in screen door effect.

2. Blurring and warping, due to relatively small field-of-view.

3. Cinematic Mode presenting sub-HD visuals.

That's objectively measured and is universally recognised as problematic with first-gen VR tech, not limited to PSVR. Whether or not you can overlook those technical limitations is entirely subjective, but it doesn't absolve the PSVR of those problems.

Subjectivity comes into play for nausea, comfort etc. I personally couldn't overcome the technical problems, despite some comfort issues. I can deal with other technical issues such as intermittently flakey motion controls and limited tracking, but if I can't enjoy what I'm seeing because the screen is low-res, then I'm not going to use it.

By the time we hit 4K VR screens (even if it's upscaled 1080p rather than downscaled for first-gen tech), those issues should be well and truly addressed and I'll jump back in at that time.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I've noticed a trend these past few years that products like the PSVR, and your newest Chevy/Dodge/Ford/Mercedes/Nissan *insert $20,000 - 25,000 vehicle* is almost always driven/used by the upper middle class white man/woman who has disposable income in the commercials. Therefore they give you the impression that you as an individual as long as you fall within middle class and have lots of disposable income are able to afford a new PSVR or the newest Ford vehicle.

Yes, because these people are a small percentage who can afford the newest technology and cars.

Of course. Although I don't think it is the case so much in new tech. Of course you must have disposable income but you must also have a desire to get in on day one and support a new direction/vision/dream. Both are not mutual. In fact the percentage is probably relatively small. However now buying a nice BMW, well that's all social class :)

This is where it gets hard for me to reply without it seeming like i am a fanboy or trying to defend some expensive toy i have just bought...

What i will try to say is that whilst i will say 'Yes' to what you are saying you see as issues I will also try to defend them (where needed) from my perspective.

1. The screen door effect is noticeable in some demo's but not in all, and because of this I am not sure if it is part down to crappy programming/unfinished demos.

2. There is some blurring, the worst for me is in Summer Lesson, it's pretty bad. I have not seen any warping anywhere though.

3. Cinematic mode is a funny one, when I first used it with Sleeping dogs it looked really really bad and I couldn't/didn't want to play it for more than 1 minute. However, The last of us looks great in cinematic mode and I will play the single player like this because of that.

To summarise I think shit games will look shit regardless of the hardware running them, the fact that some things look amazing on PSVR tells me that if it PSVR was crap then everything would look crap, but it don't, far from it and I think your brief experience of ownership was just too brief to see any of the good to which you drew your conclusion, and that's fine and to be expected.

• Like 2

What, I'm not allowed to have my own opinion on it?

I don't get why so many people that have positive opinions of the PSVR are getting their knickers in a twist over people that aren't so thrilled about the idea of it.

Of course you can, my point is you haven't tried it therefore your opinion carries very little weight.  I enjoyed the experience and I didn't find any of the problems the OP had experienced.  However I have still sold it on, bought for £350 and sold for £400.  The intention wasn't to sell it on and the main reason was that I can't see myself using it anywhere near as much I do for traditional gaming, I'd have to set the thing up each time I wanted to use it and put it away again each time, I can't leave it connected due to having 2 young kids.