What should I buy: PS4 and games?

MonadStanley

Hi,

Next month I am going to buy a PS4 and I do not know what to buy. I do not own 4k TV nor even a TV. I play on 24" FullHD computer monitor and I am really satisfied with it. I do not own PS4, but I own PS3 (I bought FAT 40 GB many years ago), so I not new to the system. I am not into 4k gaming, but better FPS or graphic effects are more than welcome. I understand, that only some games will have "PRO" settings, like Rise of the Tomb Raider.

So I have a problem, what to choose: PS4, PS4 Slim or PS4 PRO. I am for PRO, but I do not know if it will be worth, especially, that there are really good deals for PS4 now in shops. I must also add, that I would probably take console with smallest possible disk and insert 2TB HDD inside. I had my PS3 with 40GB and it was a joke, so I have upgraded to 250GB, but that was still small, so I do not believe in 500 GB or 1 TB on PS4.

Moreover, apart from console I would need games.

I have always loved fighting games, but now I do not know what to buy. On ps3 I owned most good fighting games like SF4, Tekken 6, Mortal Kombat, Persona4 (PS+), Guilty Gear, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur 4 and 5 (I did not liked 5), BlazBlue. Anyway there not so many fighting games on PS4 now, and I cannot get them at once now (maybe in some years). My point was to buy Mortal Kombat or The king of fighters (I played that series only mobile, but I really liked it). And probably upcoming Tekken. I liked games like BlazBlue or GuiltyGear, but I would not say, that I am big fan of them. What fighting game should I take as a starting point to PS4?

I am also planning to buy The Witcher 3: GOTY, Bloodborne: GOTY, as RPGs. On PS3 I have played some japanesse games like Tales of ... (all), where I have really like tales of graces f, on the other hand I have been dissapointed with Tales of Xillia (too easy) or Tales of Zestiria (boring, but great soundtrack), and also I loved Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. I think Final Fantasy XIII was boring. Apart from jRPG I played on PS3 Dragon Age: Origins (loved), Dragon Age II (hated), Mass Effect II (loved), Deus Ex: Human Revolution (not for me), Demon's Souls (loved), Reconing: Age of Amalur (nice game), Skyrim (loved, spend like 100 hours in it, despite bugs and uglyness), Fallout: New Vegas & 3 (not something I liked really much).

Moreover I would like to have at least one game like Motorstorm.

On PS3 I have also loved AC 2, Uncharted games (I have finished first one 4 times), slashers like Bayonetta, God of War I & II or sandbox like RDR or Infamous. I loved Resistance: Fall of Man, except that game had no plot.

On the other hand my wallet is not buttomless and I have limited money. I can get console and at max 2-3 games at start (inluding fighting game), and 2TB hard drive. To your consideration, I never buy games at release and I normally buy used games, or at least game "half a year" old. What can you recommend me?

Edited by MonadStanley

Unless you really plan to upgrade your television or monitor, I don't see a reason for you to go for PS4 Pro. With the Slim and the stock version of the console, the only major difference is the form factor, I, otherwise don't see a change in performance on either of these and since you already have plans to upgrade your console to 2TB, I'd suggest the stock version of the console, you'll also save some money by trading in your 500 GB HDD in exchange of the newer HDD and some cash, of course. 

I am not into those arcade style combat/fighting games and I also reckon the choices available on the current gen is not exciting, there is SFV and then MKXL, with some upcoming games of this genre. I won't be the best judge of it, however, I did notice your taste in games is not limited to a specific genre so you can basically, go for a bundled PS4 with some good games, like UC4 bundle, SFV bundle etc etc and then wait for games that will be coming up soon. Why I am saying that, you may ask? The reason is mainly because of the games you have already decided to buy, those aside, there are not many to choose from on the current gen, they've all had issues, some may have bad story, some may have glitchy gameplacy, things like those.

Edit:

However, if I have to recommend any game, go for Dying Light, a very understated but a great game and Rocket League, an awesome game to play with friends

Edited by dev2610

Get Blacklight Retribution, it's a FREE online only first person shooter ala Call of Duty that still gets regular updates and has a shitload of players. Generally it's pretty fair and balanced in regards to stuff you can buy and whatnot, there's always the odd guy with a really good gun but never anything you can't deal with, I've played the crap out of it without spending a cent, have for around 3 years now, I think it came out not too long after the PS4's launch.

Also get Dying Light. It's a first person zombie smashy weapon crafty co-op survivaly open worldy kick ass thing that is just so good when you get a few hours into it, like holy shit it's so fun. Not worth a fortune, but if you see it on sale for 20 bucks or so it's honestly so worth it, I spent 50 odd hours on the thing before getting the plat and half of it was just running around having a ball.

Otherwise everything else I've been playing recently can be bought on other machines and you don't necessarily need a PS4 for like

Grand Theft Auto V... PS3 version is the same largely and can be found cheaper.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas... 23 bucks on PS4, 2 or 3 dollars anywhere on PS2, hell, even the updated PS3 version is 15 on a physical disc everywhere near me.

Resogun... Cross buy with PS3 and Vita, you could buy it right now and plat it on the PS3, then play the slightly better version on PS4 and plat it again.

Duke Nukem 3D... was available on PS3, but it's been ported to everything under the sun anyway so.

Lego Avengers... identical to PS3, cheaper on PS3, may as well get on PS3

Also inFamous: First Light is cheap as shit anywhere that still sells the disc, and it's solid. Playing it makes playing inFamous: Second Son a lot better, so grab that too, but make sure to play them both because First Light on it's own is a bit short and Second Son on it's own isn't fleshed out as well as it could be, but together they make for a pretty decent package.

Get Blacklight Retribution, it's a FREE online only first person shooter ala Call of Duty

I am not fan of Call of Duty and FreeToPlay

Also get Dying Light. It's a first person zombie smashy weapon crafty co-op survivaly open worldy kick ass thing that is just so good when you get a few hours into it, like holy shit it's so fun. Not worth a fortune, but if you see it on sale for 20 bucks or so it's honestly so worth it, I spent 50 odd hours on the thing before getting the plat and half of it was just running around having a ball.

I can get it for like 15$ + shipment, so if it is so good I will take it.

Grand Theft Auto V... PS3 version is the same largely and can be found cheaper.

Did not play that yet, shame of me.

Also inFamous: First Light is cheap as shit anywhere that still sells the disc

I have it from PS+, so I will play it.

Games:  SFV is pretty hot right now so go for that.

When that game come out, people were telling it lacked content. Is it a problem still?

Get the PS4 PRO, it is the better system for all the OBVIOUS reasons.

Games:  SFV is pretty hot right now so go for that.

What are the obvious reasons? I guess I'm not up on shit and thought the pro's only niche was 4K gaming.

/topic: I'd buy the slim if it were me and upgrade it to 2T like you said. I use the 24" BenQ with the release model and haven't had any problems though.

As a suggestion, I'd like to add that you may want to put money towards a second controller because the DS4's battery life isn't great. Also, and I'm sure you know this already, you need to buy a headset or surround sound to use with your monitor. I recommend headsets first. Go with Astro A50's if you have the cash, but the Sony gold's will work in a pinch and are much cheaper. The PS4 is geared more toward social interaction than the PS3 was and you'll be ready to go with a headset. ;)

Well, if as you said, you're into graphics I'd say you should buy PS4 Pro, the 4k is not real, it's up-scaled.

What Pro offers it's what PS4 standar was supposedly to have, 1080p 60fps. Having a better gpu.

And, seriously, even when Sony has "swear" that all upcoming ps4 games will run in all ps4 models, that does not mean that in a couple of year some games will look great only on Pro, probably we will have a difference as in Tales of Zestiria PS3 vs PS4. 

Hmm, but if you're going to stay with a 24" screen you won't notice huge difference between standar and pro. So consider that.

What are the obvious reasons? I guess I'm not up on shit and thought the pro's only niche was 4K gaming.

/topic: I'd buy the slim if it were me and upgrade it to 2T like you said. I use the 24" BenQ with the release model and haven't had any problems though.

As a suggestion, I'd like to add that you may want to put money towards a second controller because the DS4's battery life isn't great. Also, and I'm sure you know this already, you need to buy a headset or surround sound to use with your monitor. I recommend headsets first. Go with Astro A50's if you have the cash, but the Sony gold's will work in a pinch and are much cheaper. The PS4 is geared more toward social interaction than the PS3 was and you'll be ready to go with a headset. ;)

The PS4 pro will detect the television that is being used and will optimize the output accordingly.  This will make games on a 1080p television look better than they could with the standard PS4.  Also, future proofing.  If one can afford the $100 dollar difference between the slim and the pro it seems to me to be the obvious choice.  4k tvs, just like 1080p tvs were, will be the upgrade people make and to have the pro already will have you set.  Not to mention all of the power and performance upgrades that Sony made to the system.  HDD, tflops, wireless, GPU.  I understand why some will have an issue with upgrading if they don't have a 4k tv but 4k isn't the only benefit from the pro.

When that game come out, people were telling it lacked content. Is it a problem still?

No, I think they've taken care of most of peoples complaints.  If it cheap, and I think it is, I would get it.  It's a solid fighter.  

• Like 1

The PS4 Pro is much more powerful than the standard PS4 so games that have difficulty maintaining 1080p, 60fps on a standard PS4 should have no issues with keeping a steady framerate on the Pro system. Developers will also be able to use more post processing effects making games look better, even without 4K resolution, than the standard PS4. 

Parker

Edited by Parker
  • Like 1

Hi,

Next month I am going to buy a PS4 and I do not know what to buy. I do not own 4k TV nor even a TV. I play on 24" FullHD computer monitor and I am really satisfied with it. I do not own PS4, but I own PS3 (I bought FAT 40 GB many years ago), so I not new to the system. I am not into 4k gaming, but better FPS or graphic effects are more than welcome. I understand, that only some games will have "PRO" settings, like Rise of the Tomb Raider.

So I have a problem, what to choose: PS4, PS4 Slim or PS4 PRO. I am for PRO, but I do not know if it will be worth, especially, that there are really good deals for PS4 now in shops. I must also add, that I would probably take console with smallest possible disk and insert 2TB HDD inside. I had my PS3 with 40GB and it was a joke, so I have upgraded to 250GB, but that was still small, so I do not believe in 500 GB or 1 TB on PS4.

Moreover, apart from console I would need games.

I have always loved fighting games, but now I do not know what to buy. On ps3 I owned most good fighting games like SF4, Tekken 6, Mortal Kombat, Persona4 (PS+), Guilty Gear, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur 4 and 5 (I did not liked 5), BlazBlue. Anyway there not so many fighting games on PS4 now, and I cannot get them at once now (maybe in some years). My point was to buy Mortal Kombat or The king of fighters (I played that series only mobile, but I really liked it). And probably upcoming Tekken. I liked games like BlazBlue or GuiltyGear, but I would not say, that I am big fan of them. What fighting game should I take as a starting point to PS4?

I am also planning to buy The Witcher 3: GOTY, Bloodborne: GOTY, as RPGs. On PS3 I have played some japanesse games like Tales of ... (all), where I have really like tales of graces f, on the other hand I have been dissapointed with Tales of Xillia (too easy) or Tales of Zestiria (boring, but great soundtrack), and also I loved Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. I think Final Fantasy XIII was boring. Apart from jRPG I played on PS3 Dragon Age: Origins (loved), Dragon Age II (hated), Mass Effect II (loved), Deus Ex: Human Revolution (not for me), Demon's Souls (loved), Reconing: Age of Amalur (nice game), Skyrim (loved, spend like 100 hours in it, despite bugs and uglyness), Fallout: New Vegas & 3 (not something I liked really much).

Moreover I would like to have at least one game like Motorstorm.

On PS3 I have also loved AC 2, Uncharted games (I have finished first one 4 times), slashers like Bayonetta, God of War I & II or sandbox like RDR or Infamous. I loved Resistance: Fall of Man, except that game had no plot.

On the other hand my wallet is not buttomless and I have limited money. I can get console and at max 2-3 games at start (inluding fighting game), and 2TB hard drive. To your consideration, I never buy games at release and I normally buy used games, or at least game "half a year" old. What can you recommend me?

The Pro is the only version that will have improved hardware, improved graphical upscaling and more likely to run things at 60fps. A lot of games on the previous version and the slim will still be locked at around 30 fps.

As fighting games go, there's quite a few already. Mortal Kombat, SF V, 2 Blazblue games Chronophantasma  Extend and Centrafiction that's coming out next week, Guilty Gear Xrd + Revelator, Nitroplus Blasterz, Skullgirls and probably a few more that I'm forgetting.

If you liked the Souls games, there's of course Bloodborne, although it's not exactly like them, it has similarities.

Overall PS4 games drop much faster in price than the ps3 games at the time. So there should be quite a few good titles to chose from.

• Like 1

I was wandering. Actually it is more than 100$ difference. 

I live in Poland and now I can buy Slim 500GB (of course on discount) for 999 zł, which is ~256$. The cheapest Pro 1TB will be like 1760 zł, ~452$. The additional pad is price same for both variants so I do not count it. Some for disk. If there will be any discounts on Pro, than these discounts will be for whole assortment in store, not for a console.

I will try to get (current lowest prices for brand new):

-> Witcher 3: GotY (39$)

-> Bloodborne: GotY (41$)

-> Mortal Kombat X/XL (25$)

-> Titanfall 2 (56$, but it is brand new game)

I do not want to buy too many games. With PS3 or Steam I used to buy many games on discounts and now I see it was a mistake.

In future I plan to buy

-> Uncharted 4

-> GTA V

-> Rise of Tomb Raider

-> Dying Light

-> Dragon Age: Inquisition

Maybe I will get also The order: 1886, couse it is like 10$ and even if I do not like QuickTime festivals, I like sitting.

But these are only plans. I need to get console, so I was wondering if PRO is worth. I can afford Pro, but I was wondering, if it was worth buying, will I see a difference?

Judging on your small monitor I suggest you to avoid the Witcher 3 for now, until you get a bigger screen or a good TV, I got the Witcher 3 but haven't yet start it unless I plat what i'm working on right now, but my brother start it on his account and the text and other stuff on screen have appeared so small even though my TV is 40 inch and support full HD.

don't get me wrong, the Witcher 3 is a good game, and I believe it's so cheap these days meaning you can get it and wait until you get a bigger monitor then play it.

as for going toward graphics and performance then get the ps4 pro if you can afford it when it was out, the standard ps4 might be the most powerful gaming console period but judging on the specs of the Pro then that's the one you been looking for. I don't really care about the VR and 4K gaming since I just got a ps4 and i'm very happy about it, i'm still playing ps2 games and I still think they looks really good in SD res.....

My friend had like 100 hours in witcher 3 and he has not reported that problem. I played on his console and I did not see that problem. He had 24" Dell FullHD monitor.

it's not really a problem, I just saw the text is too small on a screen that big and I went (god be with those who have a small monitor) even though you can still read them.

or I believe it's just me since most games I played the text are usually big enough to read them even if you're a few inches away from the screen.

Mm I'm in a similar situation. Here's what happened

I found a 1tb HDD at my house that's unused so i can upgrade the os4 vanilla if i get one. During black Friday I can snag a ps4 slim with U4 and two dualshock 4 controllers for $349.99 CAD!

Idk if I should get a ps4 pro at this moment tbh. If this deal wasn't available and I didnt have a 1tb HDD lying around, the pro would've been a better option. I'm stuck in a dilemma right now :S

i was 100% against digital games, but with the amount of flash sales they have and ps plus sales between both my ps3 and ps4 i have hundreds of games. id wait till u get the system before you buy a game and look in the ps store for a sale and see if they have anything you like. because when you buy a disc game it installs the disc onto the system anyways. memory is a major problem. i have to always delete and finish a game just to move on to the next game. upgrade it to the max memory.

also note if you used your ps3 for alot of media, the ps4 totally wiped out all those features and made it more of just a game system. you cant store mp3s, movies, they took the power switch off the back of the unit, you cant use the old audio multi output anymore for surroundsound, no cd player, all those little cool things you lvoed about ps3 are now gone in ps4. but if you only care about gaming and gmaing only then it wont matter. to me i bought 5 ps3s based on the fact i loved the way i could store all my music and movies on it when i wasnt gaming it was super convieniant. 

as for slim or the 4k system there basically all the same crap if you dont have a 4k tv just find the cheapest one with the smallest hard drive that your going to swap out. i unfortunately have a buncha 500gig hard drives from ps3s because i upgraded to 1tbs on them.