Best Licensed Games? (Video Games Based off Movies, TV shows, etc)

Crzy Minus

Remember back in the day when licensed games used to be shit? (Most of them at least, aside stuff like Goldeneye or Ducktales) Today is a new era where we now have surprisingly really good licensed games. From Alien Isolation to South Park The Stick of Truth, Batman Arkham, Shadow of Mordor, Riddick, etc.

What do you think are the best licensed games? Here are a few ones I played (and finished) that I think were from good to being great, keeping it short.

Transformers Devastation

One of Platinum's made licensed games for Activision and the best one by far imo (in comparison with Korra and TMNT) Sure it may borrow a lot from other Platinum games like Bayonetta. At the same time though Bayonetta most likely wont come out on PS4 or PC, so this is pretty much the closest thing you'll get from a Bayonetta game on PS4 and PC, a Transformers game. However aside it's flaws, this is a pretty solid Transformers game imo.

The Walking Dead Season 1

As much as I shit on Telltale nowadays for milking the formula on other games, the first season of The Walking Dead (which was the one that started the trend) had a really solid narrative for a point n click game and was just a pretty good game overall.

Kingdom Hearts II

Does Kingdom Hearts count as a licensed game? It is an original story but the game is filled with a bunch of licensed characters, so I'll take it as a Yes. I only played 3 KH games, being KH1, Chain of Memories and KH2 (will catch up with the rest later), and off the 3 KH2 was the best one imo. Solid gameplay, great music, decent enough story and characters that everyone loves, good game!

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game

Hands down the best one on the list, super underrated beat em up that deserved more attention before it got pulled off digital stores, still sad. Fun gameplay, catchy af music, great characters, very colorful from start to finish. This game is fucking great.

Honorable Mentions:

X-men Origins Wolverine (It's rare when a licensed video game it's better than the source material)

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth (Does that one also count? and from what I played of it it's also really good)

Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers (Good PS1 platformer starting the duck himself)

A bunch of old Spongebob games

A bunch of old Harry Potter games

The Emperor's New Groove on PS1 (Just wanted to throw that one in there)

• Like 1

Lol, I remember the first licensed video game I've ever played, it was the Italian job back in 2001. It was a decent game, especially since its base off the old 1960 film, though it did felt like a discount GTA. It was release for the playstation but I've played the PC version.

The_Italian_Job_%282001%29_coverart.jpg

I have to agree with you that the first season of tell tale was incredible, especially compare to their previous license game Jurassic park. The second season is good too, and hopefully the third upcoming season won't be a disappointment.

TWD-game-cover.jpg

Another good Tell Tale game is Game of Throne, true its not as good as the show, but its still enjoyable, and doesn't ruin the Lore of the show.

Game_of_thrones_telltale_games_season_on

Another good license game that come to mind is Mad Max for the PS4, I've played the demo of it, and its pretty good. I can't wait to play the full game this holiday.

Mad_Max_2015_video_game_cover_art.jpg

• Like 1

The first 3 Harry Potter games will always have a special place in my heart (6 is amazing too).

I also really enjoyed Golden Compass, although I think I'm a minority in this case.

LEGO games are great and are usually licensed (have they made any original characters since that one PS1 game I forgot the name of?)

I actually enjoyed The Legend of Korra game made by Platinum Games, was pretty fun to me. :)

I also agree with Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, I loved that game a lot.

The Lego games are also pretty great and actually make good use of the licenses. I'd also say the Star Wars: Battlefront games on PS2/PSP were great, tons of fun to be had with those. Haven't played the 2015 one, so can't judge.

The Disney games that came out for the Sega Genesis were all solid.

As for modern licensed games, nothing will top the Batman Arkham trilogy for me. Stays true to the world, stories, and characters. The gameplay makes you feel like Batman. Everything from gliding around the city, the combat, the gadgets, the detective work, and even the Batmobile (while it felt forced) in Arkham Knight.

The best part is the fact that it has its own story. They could've just copied a storyline from one of the comics, but they made their own, and they did it without messing up the core of Batman.

The Disney games that came out for the Sega Genesis were all solid.

As for modern licensed games, nothing will top the Batman Arkham trilogy for me. Stays true to the world, stories, and characters. The gameplay makes you feel like Batman. Everything from gliding around the city, the combat, the gadgets, the detective work, and even the Batmobile (while it felt forced) in Arkham Knight.

The best part is the fact that it has its own story. They could've just copied a storyline from one of the comics, but they made their own, and they did it without messing up the core of Batman.

My response would be pretty much this except I have a SNES instead of a Sega. Some stuff was pretty much the same but I recall the Aladdins being very different. The Lion King was awesome as well, and Toy Story...

I thought Jurassic Park on the SNES was an awesome game, still want to complete that one day. Asterix & Obelix was awesome on the SNES as well and easily the best of the Infogrames licenced titles though there is other good stuff in there. Can't help but call out to one of the best SNES games which also is on PS4 now: SUPER STAR WARS! Naturally Rogue Squadron on the N64 was amazing as well, hope we will get a new Rogue Squadron within a couple of years.

I also want to mention two classic point and click games based on a license: Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis, and Sam And Max Hit The Road.

But yeah from recent years I think Batman wins hands down. I played through Asylum and City on the X360 and loved them, got one on PS+ before I owned a PS3 (started with PS4) and just bought the other in a sale. I loved Knight and I'm on and off doing a second playthrough.

Looking through my games list, I spot the following which I enjoyed... LEGO (basically anything recent but my top titles would be Jurassic World and Dimensions (which is just dozens of licenses put together), Transformers: Devastation, DuckTales: Remastered, Mad Max, Middle-earth: Shadow Of Mordor, South Park: The Stick Of Truth, and finally Alien: Isolation. Yeah the Telltale Games titles aren't that bad but I can't help but think they could be so much more...

There's a couple that I like - Batman Begins, Spider-Man 2 on PS2, Tron Evolution on PS3. Those are some Favourites.

I can add GoldenEye 007 on N64 but that's an obvious one. Talking about James Bond, I also liked The World Is Not Enough on N64.

Also another Licensed game - WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role has to be the best Wrestling game ever in my opinion.

• Like 1

Disney Sega Genesis Games( The Lion King, Aladdin and some others)
Batman Begins
Tron Evolution
Legend of the Guardians Owls of Ga'Hoole
The Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian
King Arthur
Shadow of Mordor
Mad Max
007 Everything or Nothing
Harry Potter games

Zoids Battle Legends

Catwoman was also fairly decent for one playthrough at least.

Not sure if these games count for anything but would also add
Sword Art Online
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Star Wars Rouge Leader Rogue Squadron II
Star Wars Attack of the Clones

• Like 1