Vita's 5th anniversary (February 22nd): Let's celebrate with plats or 100% (EVENT FINISHED)

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

That depends on the criteria. When taking only the games chosen for the western birthday into account, no matter what the current status is (ready to pop, currently working on, or a probable choice) it looks like this:

Hide contents

JM0MlhJ.png

If I ignore the ones listed in the probably/maybe-sections it looks like this:

Hide contents

V9u7eSp.png

If I only count the ones which are ready to pop as of now it looks like this:

Hide contents

3Sdi1CP.png

Some overall infos for the western birthday:

Overall are 52 games ready to pop (45 unique ones) by 20 different persons.

No guarantee for correct data though. :D 

And people say Vita has no games when we have 45 unique ones here just among the ready to pop.  If some folks finish up a few of the maybes there probably will end up being more.  I know I hope I can add Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters to that and get my 3rd UR plat.

Didn't expect Shantae to be one of the more popular choices though.  Adventures of Mana isn't a huge surprise since it was on sale recently and it's easy, I just bought it during that sale myself and already have it at ready to pop.  Definitely pretty neat to see so far!  Not a surprise though that P4G was a pretty popular choice since an event like this and the Let's Finish for it would be good incentive to get back to it.  I know some of the other popular ones were recentish PS+ titles.

4 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

BOOOOOOO!
Past Dav is noob! :awesome:

Well, of course it isn't =D VNs are never cross-buy

I know right?! I have to build a time machine just to give him a good lashing :devil:

2 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Sad to hear. Yet still I wonder how someone can be in the mood to not play Steins;Gate. :P

Reveal hidden contents

JM0MlhJ.png

:

Reveal hidden contents

V9u7eSp.png

Reveal hidden contents

3Sdi1CP.png

Oh no it's been in my head for the past month so I'm definitely going to play it now. Just on ps3 :(

Does hateful boyfriend and its sequel count? 

I may have some time to do that one sense it's really quick

Well, due to my own stupidity I now have to restart my Assassin's Creed Liberation playthrough. I was halfway through the story with alot of the side-missions and stuff done, but while plugging my vita into my laptop to charge while doing the online, my save somehow corrupted to the point of not being able to start singleplayer without my game crashing (kept getting error C2-12828-1). After trying a few methods I found online (including reformating my Vita and rebuilding the database half a dozen times), I've accepted it as a lesson to not try something stupid like that again and I'm going to try and bull-rush through the game again so I can still platinum it in time.

23 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

PSABR is rather easy but has some online trophies that require a good portion of luck and/or a boosting session. Resistance also has an online part but AFAIK it only has one online trophy for playing one match. Personally I would choose Resistance.

Thanks for this resistance it is. I may not get there in time but atleast i have 1 for the event, i will let you know when its ready to add it to my list. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Ratchet2425 said:

Well, due to my own stupidity I now have to restart my Assassin's Creed Liberation playthrough. I was halfway through the story with alot of the side-missions and stuff done, but while plugging my vita into my laptop to charge while doing the online, my save somehow corrupted to the point of not being able to start singleplayer without my game crashing (kept getting error C2-12828-1). After trying a few methods I found online (including reformating my Vita and rebuilding the database half a dozen times), I've accepted it as a lesson to not try something stupid like that again and I'm going to try and bull-rush through the game again so I can still platinum it in time.

You might want to check if the game has a specific issue that can cause this error.  It's actually not always a corrupted save.  I had that happen with Akiba's Trip and it was an issue that would come up when your inventory got too massive and the issue was easily resolved by selling stuff.  Maybe this game has something similar.

But if it ends up not being something like that, good luck on being able to get through the game because I definitely know your pain after I nearly had to restart Akiba's Trip when I only had two of the playthroughs left and one of those was nearly done.

Dokuro is ready to pop, all I have to do is reflect 100 boomerangs which will be easy. I'm back into playing Ys: Celceta and I don't remember why I ever stopped, it's so fun! Looking forward to Ys: Origins being released on Vita! Vitamin Z I probably won't work on too much, I didn't like it too much. I know, what did I expect for free? Well I enjoyed Break Quest - Extra Evolutions and Fat Princess - Piece of Cake so I guess I was hoping for more of the same. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jasondm300 said:

Ar nosurge is ready to pop.  All I have to do is install 50 times into Cass' breasts :eyebrow:.  And thanks so much for Lego Movie game info @Crimson Idol.  I popped that platinum to test your suggestion

I have the PS3 version of Ar Nosurge but I haven't had the time to start it yet. Is it a good game? (like Ar Tonelico 1 and 2? I didn't like Qoga that much)

25 minutes ago, Myu said:

I have the PS3 version of Ar Nosurge but I haven't had the time to start it yet. Is it a good game? (like Ar Tonelico 1 and 2? I didn't like Qoga that much)

this is the first one of the series I played, and I did enjoy it.  the battles were a little boring at times, kind of button mashy, but I enjoyed the Genometrics parts, which were similar to a Visual Novel.  doing everything was about 45 hours.  there were a lot of cringeworthy anime humor, and some harem type situations, but all in all, very enjoyable and would recommend.  I played a tiny bit of the PS3 version years ago, and the Vita version did have a bit of slowdown at a couple of parts, that I don't think would effect the PS3 version

58 minutes ago, Myu said:

I didn't play 1 & 2, so I don't know how these newer ones compare. The battle systems are quite a bit different. Qoga's were more like Star Ocean, while Nosurge is turn-based. I loved both, but would give the nod to Qoga. A little too much of my time in Nosurge was spent synthesizing items.. 

2 hours ago, jasondm300 said:

this is the first one of the series I played, and I did enjoy it.  the battles were a little boring at times, kind of button mashy, but I enjoyed the Genometrics parts, which were similar to a Visual Novel.  doing everything was about 45 hours.  there were a lot of cringeworthy anime humor, and some harem type situations, but all in all, very enjoyable and would recommend.  I played a tiny bit of the PS3 version years ago, and the Vita version did have a bit of slowdown at a couple of parts, that I don't think would effect the PS3 version

1 hour ago, DamagingRob said:

I didn't play 1 & 2, so I don't know how these newer ones compare. The battle systems are quite a bit different. Qoga's were more like Star Ocean, while Nosurge is turn-based. I loved both, but would give the nod to Qoga. A little too much of my time in Nosurge was spent synthesizing items.. 

I was a bit disappointed by Qoga but I do like synthesizing things so I should be okay. I'll probably start it by the end of the week (that or Rune Factory, I haven't made my mind yet).

5 hours ago, GrAmSou said:

Can you please add Actual Delight ?
Just need two more trophies.

I found it in my PS+ waiting list. Just a 100% (and very weird/sad game :S)

Added Actual Sunlight to your list.

5 hours ago, jasondm300 said:

Ar nosurge is ready to pop.  All I have to do is install 50 times into Cass' breasts :eyebrow:.  And thanks so much for Lego Movie game info @Crimson Idol.  I popped that platinum to test your suggestion

Updated your status.

3 hours ago, mking_63 said:

Dokuro is ready to pop, all I have to do is reflect 100 boomerangs which will be easy. I'm back into playing Ys: Celceta and I don't remember why I ever stopped, it's so fun! Looking forward to Ys: Origins being released on Vita! Vitamin Z I probably won't work on too much, I didn't like it too much. I know, what did I expect for free? Well I enjoyed Break Quest - Extra Evolutions and Fat Princess - Piece of Cake so I guess I was hoping for more of the same. :lol:

Updated your status for Dokuro. And it's ncie to hear that you enjoy Ys and are anticipating the Vita-launch for Origins. Can't wait for it either. Still I hope the trophies won't be as hardcore as the Steam-achievements.

• Like 1

All are ready. oddworld will take some luck in not glitching, ratchet will take some skill in the final comic, and SAO will take some trust in my ability to count to 100, but the other two should be guaranteed.

- Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
- SteamWorld Heist
- Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
- Megatagmension Blanc + Neptune vs. Zombies

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Updated your status for Dokuro. And it's nice to hear that you enjoy Ys and are anticipating the Vita-launch for Origins. Can't wait for it either. Still I hope the trophies won't be as hardcore as the Steam-achievements.

I'm very much hoping so as well because the Steam achievements were seriously hardcore and there is no way in hell I'm going to be able to do nightmare time attack with all versions of all characters a second time.  There's a reason I have almost 700 hours in that game on Steam and most of it was nightmare time attack.  If it only requires beating nightmare time attack with one character for the plat, I'll consider buying it a second time.

11 hours ago, Cisele80 said:

All are ready. oddworld will take some luck in not glitching, ratchet will take some skill in the final comic, and SAO will take some trust in my ability to count to 100, but the other two should be guaranteed.

This sounds...interesting. I hope everything turns out well for you. =)

5 hours ago, Dreamcatcher4891 said:

LEGO Legends of Chima is ready pop :D

Just a couple of Red Bricks to collect and the Platinum is mine :)

Can I also add Spy Hunter to my list? I should have enough time to get that one done.

Updated your list.

And I guess it was a wise decision to save a LEGO-trophy for last that most likely won't glitch. xD

4 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I'm very much hoping so as well because the Steam achievements were seriously hardcore and there is no way in hell I'm going to be able to do nightmare time attack with all versions of all characters a second time.  There's a reason I have almost 700 hours in that game on Steam and most of it was nightmare time attack.  If it only requires beating nightmare time attack with one character for the plat, I'll consider buying it a second time.

700 hours? That's intense and there's no way I would spend so much time on one game. That would be at least 9 months of gaming for me.

Woo, it took longer than expected to finish Uncharted: Golden Abyss. At best I would call it an OK, time-wasting game that doesn't do much to engross you in its story or gameplay, while having several rookie mistakes that should have been learned by 2011. The touch controls didn't enhance the gameplay since it would have been swifter and easier to just press a button or just let the animation play out without interruptions.

My major gripe with the game would have to be the sheer relentless amount of cutscenes in the game. There's typically a cutscene at the end of each chapter but the more frustrating type of cutscenes are the ones where one happens, you do a simple puzzle in less than 15 seconds, and then you get another cutscene. I took note of some of the more egregious examples as in the case in Ch. 8 where a cutscene happens, Drake fist-fights one enemy, and then another cutscene occurs. Ch. 9 was even worse with three examples of this phenomenon: 1) cutscene, two shotgunners, cutscene. 2) cutscene, one enemy, cutscene. 3) cutscene, one jump to a rope, cutscene. Why even interrupting your cutscenes with short, meaningless gameplay sections?!

On my second playthrough I took note of how many cutscenes there were and it amounts to 167 skippable cutscenes. I'll give a breakdown in the spoilers section, in which I counted a cutscene for that chapter until I saw the title for the following chapter.

Prologue: 2

Ch. 1: 11

Ch. 2: 17

Ch. 3: 9

Ch. 4: 2

Ch. 5: 3

Ch. 6: 3

Ch. 7: 5

Ch. 8: 7

Ch. 9: 13

Ch. 10: 3

Ch. 11: 1

Ch. 12: 1

Ch. 13: 7 (Only playable section is a puzzle)

Ch. 14: 2

Ch. 15: 6

Ch. 16: 16

Ch. 17: 4

Ch. 18: 3

Ch. 19: 2

Ch. 20: 3 (Pure cutscenes)

Ch. 21: 7

Ch. 22: 5

Ch. 23: 4

Ch. 24: 1

Ch. 25: 4

Ch. 26: 5 (Final cutscene is the beginning of the Prologue)

Ch. 27: 2

Ch. 28: 2

Ch. 29: 3

Ch. 30: 3

Ch. 31: 8

Ch. 32: 1

Ch. 33: 1

Ch. 34: 8

Some people might respond with, "Metal Gear Solid 4 did worse with its cutscenes." That may be true, haven't played the game yet, but that doesn't change that Golden Abyss went to ridiculous amounts for a short game and implemented them to the same level as Tales of Zestiria. Heck, Golden Abyss's story isn't much to brag about since the prologue shows a douchebag telling his goons to kill Drake, we then flashback a few weeks back to see Drake and the douchebag hang out with both being douchebags to each other, and we were supposed to be surprised that the douchebag betrayed Drake later. There was no good reason to use in media res as it revealed that character's alignment immediately and I sure didn't care about him or his stupid boots. The only reason there was in media res was to get some action early on since you finally get to shoot in the second chapter. Boy did they screw the pooch with setting up an exciting beginning.

The core story could be broken into a few sections: Drake partnering up with douchebag, then a woman through jungle, Drake and woman through drug dealer's compound, Drake and woman/douchebag in dig site, Drake with Sully through another jungle to save woman, Drake in cave to save woman and escape. I'm not going to bother naming her since she's a love interest that wasn't mentioned in Uncharted 1 or 3 and I highly doubt she's brought up 4. I'l also call bullshit on the gold being radiated after half a millenium. I Googled how long gold can be radiated and this site, with what seems to be a credible source, pure gold would lose its radiation within a month.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2003-03/1046983737.Ph.r.html

Should have stuck with magical explanations for why Drake couldn't take the treasure rather than use an alternate fact for science. I'm willing to let history be played with but my goodness if Drake couldn't take the gold for that reason then he probably should have died or have cancer from a cavern full of radiation but nope.

I might as well bring up a few glitches that I encountered in my second playthrough, freaking Mass Effect all over again. Ch. 8 had Drake teleport to the other side of a chest-high wall he was attached to. Ch. 9 had Drake punched so hard that he flew to the upper floor and then fall back and get wasted. Ch. 29 had a wooden plank pop in and out but the most egregious glitch was a gunfight that had two enemies vanish, meaning I couldn't trigger the next part and had to restart the section five times. If the game wasn't busy taking away your ability to play for a freaking "cinematic experience" that's inferior to the National Treasure films, the game would have fared better. Eh, at least it's not in the bottom five of Vita games I've played.

On 1/27/2017 at 1:44 AM, Crimson Idol said:

Didn't even remember that Hardboiled had touch controls. I only remember some stupid trophies which made me give up on the plat. And the fact that I didn't want to fight Brno a second time.

The amount of frustrating platforming sequences is rather low in that game (I mainly remember the passage right before the end) and overall it doesn't require a lot of precision but still the platforming feels to unprecise at times. 

I think I remember Hardboiled for having the final boss in hard mode be a giant that needs to be grenaded to death. The rear touch pad was the way to aim the grenades and it was frustrating to quickly throw it without getting injured. Yeah, screw that boss fight and screw the overall game.

Hmm, I'll take note of that for the final level. Maybe it takes a while for the game to respond to the control demands or maybe the framerate is weird, I'll have to see what it is but I'll take your word on that.

On 1/27/2017 at 8:42 AM, Cisele80 said:

haven't played tearaway, but IMO the best use of vita controls and mechanics is severed. so if you are looking for a short-ish game where using the touchscreen doesn't just seem like something tacked on,i'd suggest that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep Severed on mind, but I'll probably just wait until it's on sale for a good price or on PS+.

Edited by Mendant909
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

700 hours? That's intense and there's no way I would spend so much time on one game. That would be at least 9 months of gaming for me.

Part of it is the fact that when you get into time attack, there isn't a way to save and exit.  So if you need a break it's a matter of wait until you game over and can retry and then take a break but Steam still counts your time.

But there is still a very insane amount of actual playtime in there.  Keep in mind, I bought the game the day it released on Steam back in 2012 and just 100%ed it last year.  The Steam achievement set also requires a minimum of 6 playthroughs of the actual game, three of which have to be on nightmare difficulty.  Even if they do opt to not do a beat nightmare time attack with all characters trophy, it's still likely going to be a UR plat.

On a personal note:
The LEGO Movie Videogame is ready to pop. It's actually one of the worse LEGO-games for Vita. Similar to all other Vita-versions the levels are divided up into smaller sections and some of them only last for one or two minutes. What I enjoyed was the fact that the game wasn't the typical "collect this, collect that, and don't forget this either" like nearly all LEGO-games but instead each of the sub-levels had ten challenges tied to them. Some were tied to the typical collectibles but there were also time-based challenges (finish the level in xy seconds, reach that part in xy seconds etc.) and some other stuff like getting a given combo-multiplier or destroying some specific objects. The challenges weren't the most original ones, but they had some kind of variety at least. Luckily it's not required to finish all of them as there are some annoying freefall-passages where you have to fly through some stud rings to finish some  challenges. Those were just plain annoying. And after playing this game I can't bear to hear Everything is Awesome anymore as they decided to use this tune for the Pause-menu. :devil:

I'm glad that I didn't pay more than 3 EUR for this game as it came bundled with the download for LEGO Batman 3 and LEGO Hobbit. Now I wonder if I should add the later one to my list, too. I'm not that interested in playing yet another stale LEGO-game for Vita but at least I would be able to delete it from the Vita for good and clean it from my backlog. :hmm:

11 hours ago, Mendant909 said:

*long rant about Uncharted: GA*

I guess it's save to say that you didn't really enjoy GA. But I wonder about one thing:
Is it really surprising to you that the story of GA had some illogical points (the radiated gold). From what I know about the series it's farily common that there's one supernatural element that doesn't make any sense at all. Besides GA I only played the first few levels of the first game before I decided to sell it but from what I remember that also had some serious story problems right at the beginning (a german submarine right in the jungle?) and it even seems to contain some zombie-like enemies. And I have to agree that the part right at the beginning about that douchebag felt unnecessary as it already tells you what will happen in the first few chapters. Although I have to say that his acting already seemed like a typical once friend, later foe-archetype. 

hope you have a bit more fun with Tearaway.

2 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Part of it is the fact that when you get into time attack, there isn't a way to save and exit.  So if you need a break it's a matter of wait until you game over and can retry and then take a break but Steam still counts your time.

But there is still a very insane amount of actual playtime in there.  Keep in mind, I bought the game the day it released on Steam back in 2012 and just 100%ed it last year.  The Steam achievement set also requires a minimum of 6 playthroughs of the actual game, three of which have to be on nightmare difficulty.  Even if they do opt to not do a beat nightmare time attack with all characters trophy, it's still likely going to be a UR plat.

Totally forgot that Steam's playtime tracking is rather stupid in comparison to e.g. Nintendo's activity log as it also runs when the game is background.

As I only played through the story casually once with each of the character I can't really judge about the game's grind but I believe you when you say that it requires an insane amount of playtime.

10 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

I guess it's save to say that you didn't really enjoy GA. But I wonder about one thing:

Is it really surprising to you that the story of GA had some illogical points (the radiated gold). From what I know about the series it's farily common that there's one supernatural element that doesn't make any sense at all. Besides GA I only played the first few levels of the first game before I decided to sell it but from what I remember that also had some serious story problems right at the beginning (a german submarine right in the jungle?) and it even seems to contain some zombie-like enemies. And I have to agree that the part right at the beginning about that douchebag felt unnecessary as it already tells you what will happen in the first few chapters. Although I have to say that his acting already seemed like a typical once friend, later foe-archetype. 

hope you have a bit more fun with Tearaway.

That's usually the key as to why Drake can't get the treasure. In Uncharted 1 the treasure turned out to be a zombie maker and the last baddy, along with the Nazy Germans, graduated from Umbrella University and wanted to weaponize the treasure. Since the treasure has a supernatural element to it that can't be explained, I'm willing to accept it. Golden Abyss, however, gives a scientific explanation and a simple Google search bunked that part of the story. If the gold was radiated then I'm left wondering why Drake is still treasure hunting when that radiation exposure should weaken him considerably either through cancer or chemotherapy. Maybe have some monsters protecting the gold to explain why Drake couldn't take it but that weak excuse ticks me off more than a love relationship with a character that meant nothing.

Thanks, I'll try starting Tearaway next week and if you do start another Vita LEGO game hopefully it'll be more enjoyable. At least the guides say they take about fifteen hours, yay?

6 hours ago, NebbyLunala said:

I did not like the LEGO Movie Vita version because you cannot get killed - if you die, you get a mean message and get forced to restart the entire level, there are no checkpoints. That's why my first impression of LEGO The Hobbit for Vita was bad - it also had the same problem.

As the longest sub-level lasts 3 minutes maybe it wasn't a real deal breaker for me. LEGO Movie has many other flaws that annoyed me more. E.g. the fact that every level had at least two timed challenges and the character wheel which was a mess. I decided to play LEGO Hobbit and I'm enjoying it far more, even though I disliked it on PS3. The character-selection is solved much better IMO and there were only a few timed challenges so far. And somehow I like that board game-like overworld.

2 hours ago, Mendant909 said:

Thanks, I'll try starting Tearaway next week and if you do start another Vita LEGO game hopefully it'll be more enjoyable. At least the guides say they take about fifteen hours, yay?

Luckily they only last for a maximum of 15 hours. I prefer playing the console-versions but most of them have the problem that they tend to have some boring endgame grind where you just fly/walk from one collectible/quest marker to the next one. The handheld-versions seem to have a better pace and the amount of collectibles is much lower in most cases.

3 hours ago, Mendant909 said:

That's usually the key as to why Drake can't get the treasure. In Uncharted 1 the treasure turned out to be a zombie maker and the last baddy, along with the Nazy Germans, graduated from Umbrella University and wanted to weaponize the treasure. Since the treasure has a supernatural element to it that can't be explained, I'm willing to accept it. Golden Abyss, however, gives a scientific explanation and a simple Google search bunked that part of the story. If the gold was radiated then I'm left wondering why Drake is still treasure hunting when that radiation exposure should weaken him considerably either through cancer or chemotherapy. Maybe have some monsters protecting the gold to explain why Drake couldn't take it but that weak excuse ticks me off more than a love relationship with a character that meant nothing.

Ok, that's understandable then. According to Wikipedia the writer for GA was someone else so maybe that would describe why the story of GA felt so unfitting as compared to the normal trilogy (at that time).