Bioware REALLY should of Remaster Mass Effect Trilogy.

I get it why people want remasters of every game, but with Mass Effect being on the PS3 with trophies and pretty damn good graphics (in my opinion) I see no need to remaster/port it. There's nothing stopping people from playing it how it is if you have a PS3, PC, or an Xbox 360, plus you can buy them for a ridiculously low price to boot. 

However, this whole remaster is a can of worms. My main problem wouldn't be developers' unwillingness to port games to the current generation of consoles; my main problem would be Sony's unwillingness to support backwards compatibility. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that I can't play PS1, PS2 or PS3 games that I have bought - particularly digital versions - on my PS4. 

But again, there's a lot more money in remasters or emulation that there is in backwards compatibility, so I can only see Sony keeping it how it is. 

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist-9 said:

All the games should not be ported to the new gen consoles, they would be available in a backward retrocompatibility instead, because all the games (From PS3, X360, Vita and PC) are not really remastered, maybe they only translate the instructions and content to the new gen, if the games have a PC version, they take that version, if not, they use the console version with some upgrades, then they add to it a new patch to make it work "better" and make it capable to be played 1080(4K on PS4 Pro as update as I understood) @ 60 fps.

I think if you want the games to look better, try to find the PC version instead of the "Remastered" one (The cheappest PC that will run the games for the last gen at least, in some countries those PC are cheapper than a PS4, and of course, a PC is useful, because it's not only for gaming,).

If the actual ports were released because they want you to play the game with better graphics instead of release something "new" faster, they will change your last gen game  to the new gen one, or give the new game as free if you prove you have the game for the last gen or maybe they will give you the port by a very low price, instead of selling it again at a normal price, also EA has a membership like the PS+ where you can play many games on your PC via Origin, I think that would be another possible reason about why EA is not insterested to port the last gen games

11 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

I would love a remaster if it were to include all the previously released DLC as well since I never took to opportunity to play any of them.

You missed out on some great stuff.

3 hours ago, Arkthur said:

I'd rather they remake the first one. I liked it, but that game feels rough sometimes, no point in denying that.

Bioware did state awhile back that if they ever remastered the trilogy, they wanted to remake the first game to play like 2 and 3

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Bioware did state awhile back that if they ever remastered the trilogy, they wanted to remake the first game to play like 2 and 3

Good lord, in that case I hope they never do a remaster. It's been downhill for the series ever since they realized they actually wanted to make a cover-shooter and not an RPG.

20 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

That is nice, I've played the three games (completed just the first so far), and the difference is huge, I understand there is a generation leap but man, ME1 feels really clunky sometimes. I wouldn't mind an action oriented remake.

The only games the current bioware should remaster are Jade Empire and Star Wars: knights of the old republic 1 & 2.

The ME trilogy is already available on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC and all of those versions run pretty will.

Also since BioWare is soft rebooting the Mass Effect universe, so going back and showing off the old universe is kind of a step backwards.

For some reason I've never played the Mass Effect series, so a remaster may not be a bad idea for people like me (and a great way to get into the series before playing Andromeda). However as it has been stated above they are soft rebooting, so I don't think it would be beneficial for Bioware to do this. If I was to play them though I think I'd rather get them cheaper on the PS3 than pay full price for the remasters. 

11 hours ago, ShadowReplicant said:

Good lord, in that case I hope they never do a remaster. It's been downhill for the series ever since they realized they actually wanted to make a cover-shooter and not an RPG.

Honestly I'm on the other side of the spectrum, I love rpgs, but the first mass effect plays horribly. It all feels really clunky from the combat down to trying to get into cover. 2 was the best of both worlds whereas 3 just really gave up on being any semblance of an rpg

• Like 2

I would love the trilogy to be on PS4. I never played 1, never remembered 2 and never finished 3. The multiplayer was pretty cool and I would love to see it back again in Andromeda. I hope they don't abandon it, most people enjoyed from what I know.

There is definitely a lot they can do with a remastering of these games. Other than the obvious graphic updates and bug fixes, a lot of people say ME1 is rough, and goddamn those loading times just to move around the ship of all things. Like seriously half the game is loading screens.

I personally think they will do the trilogy regardless of what they have said. They'll do it just to keep riding Andromeda's hype for as long as they can.

Edited by AuzzieWingman

20 minutes ago, AuzzieWingman said:

I would love the trilogy to be on PS4. I never played 1, never remembered 2 and never finished 3. The multiplayer was pretty cool and I would love to see it back again in Andromeda. I hope they don't abandon it, most people enjoyed from what I know.

There is definitely a lot they can do with a remastering of these games. Other than the obvious graphic updates and bug fixes, a lot of people say ME1 is rough, and goddamn those loading times just to move around the ship of all things. Like seriously half the game is loading screens.

I personally think they will do the trilogy regardless of what they have said. They'll do it just to keep riding Andromeda's hype for as long as they can.

They already stated awhile back that the multiplayer is returning in andromeda

27 minutes ago, AuzzieWingman said:

The multiplayer was pretty cool and I would love to see it back again in Andromeda. I hope they don't abandon it, most people enjoyed from what I know.

There will be a multiplayer in ME: Andromeda. We just don't know if it will be the same as ME3's multiplayer. There will be a beta for the multiplayer soon.

Based on some interviews I've seen ME3's multiplayer was so successful all of Bioware was shocked, because of this ME: Andromeda's combat is based on how ME3's multiplayer combat worked. (While I do love ME3's multiplayer I'm still not sure if that was a good idea.)

Edited by soultaker655
typo

It would be really good to have a re-master of these games. I've never played them but everyone has praised how good they are, with Mass Effect 2 being the 8th best game on the PS3 of all time (voted by this community).

They aren't new games either. The original Mass Effect is 10 years old:

Mass Effect 1 - 2007

Mass Effect 2 - 2010

Mass Effect 3 - 2012

Compare that to the BioShock Collection:

Bioshock - 2008

Bioshock 2 - 2010

Bioshock Infinite - 2013

With Mass Effect Andromeda coming out this year both EA and gamers have missed out on this great opportunity. This has got to be the most asked for trilogy out there and EA have been extremely short sighted to not act on it.

As for "You can play them on the PS3". Yes you can but they aren't short games. To 100% all three games will take around 200 hours (according to guides).

On 1/7/2017 at 3:25 PM, Gotakibono said:

However, this whole remaster is a can of worms. My main problem wouldn't be developers' unwillingness to port games to the current generation of consoles; my main problem would be Sony's unwillingness to support backwards compatibility. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that I can't play PS1, PS2 or PS3 games that I have bought - particularly digital versions - on my PS4. 

But again, there's a lot more money in remasters or emulation that there is in backwards compatibility, so I can only see Sony keeping it how it is. 

PS3 is a RISC architecture. PS4 is a x64 architecture. Porting software over requires extensive rewrites and bug tracking. PS4 is completely incapable of running a PS3 game under emulation, it doesn't have nearly enough processing capacity. To put "how incapable" in proportion, even PS Now runs on Unix servers that contain the original PS3 chips to make the games playable. You'll never emulate a PS3 title under emulation on any current console, or even next gen. You won't emulate it on a PC unless you spend some $5000 to get a powerful enough machine, and still flawless execution is not guaranteed.

The earlier platforms you're correct, it was a business decision to remove the emulator in the early days of PS3, and start offering the games digitally. The PS3 "HD" remasters run on that emulator and the development continues under PS4 Orbis. Trophy support was patented and added to emulation much later it became commercialized, the titles do not have trophies originally. Even if you bought an early version PS3 which still had the emulator in the firmware, you would then have no trophy support for your previous gen titles.

14 minutes ago, IcemanEire said:

I would play it on the ps4... think they would look unreal on the ps4.

HD remasters rarely look "unreal" because no one's touching the 3D models and adding polygons. Dev just draws higher resolution textures and possibly adds anti-aliasing and other effects for the engine to process, if possible. Sometimes it's as lazy as scaling textures meant for 480i resolution into 1080p, so it looks dirt ugly. GTA3 is a prime example.

Mass Effect 1 got a proper remaster for PS3, since it was the last title to be introduced for the console it got a special treatment and is running on Mass Effect 2 engine instead of it's original one. That looks unreal :)

Edited by ars
add line break
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, ars said:

HD remasters rarely look "unreal" because no one's touching the 3D models and adding polygons. Dev just draws higher resolution textures and possibly adds anti-aliasing and other effects for the engine to process, if possible. Sometimes it's as lazy as scaling textures meant for 480i resolution into 1080p, so it looks dirt ugly. GTA3 is a prime example.

Mass Effect 1 got a proper remaster for PS3, since it was the last title to be introduced for the console it got a special treatment and is running on Mass Effect 2 engine instead of it's original one. That looks unreal :)

hey, you seem to know your stuff about it all.... im just a simple gamer who likes to play :-)

Just now, IcemanEire said:

hey, you seem to know your stuff about it all.... im just a simple gamer who likes to play :-)

I only mean the PS3 version is the definitive edition of ME1, crude as it may be by current gen standards it received treatment the PC and Xbox version never saw :) You should check it out if you haven't already, as BioWare made it pretty clear they're not even planning to port it on PS4...