Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

So I've just decided that I'm going to buy a Nintendo Switch :D. I'm thinking of getting the console with Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8 and Octopath Traveler. Any recommendations on games and/or accessories I should buy other than the ones I mentioned?

Welcome to the club!

Just like @MosesRockefeller, I'm going to ask you if you're only interested in games you can't play on your Sony device(s) or if you want to use the Switch also for games that could be played on other platforms.

On games you won't find on Sony devices: Zelda, Mario + Rabbids, World Of Goo, Fast RMX, Bayonetta 2 (and soon 3), Kirby Star Allies (I'd try to get it on a sale though), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Runner3, Hyrule Warriors, Golf Story, Picross S, Super Mario Odyssey, Hollow Knight, VS Super Mario Bros., Human Resource Machine...

All depending on your own likes/dislikes but I'd say maybe check all these titles to see if anything appeals to you. There's platformers in there, racing, puzzling, hack and slash...

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Whoa, 100 pages!

... Unless site make-up changes again. Then your post is going to look weird.

Hmm, I'll take your recommendation under advisement. It is admirable that the devs added customizable assist options. More games should do that.

... Do like Rayman Legends and have medium difficulty in the main levels with a challenge to get to 100%, or do like Celeste and have a tough main game but difficulty options for the platform-impaired. I'm fine with either. Runner2 has it cool too, with three difficulty levels and more obstacles on the higher levels.

... Hmmmm, I should go finish Runner3. Damn backlog. I'm going back to @Paleblood's event, I think.

You aren't a real person! Seriously though, I like both Marvel and DC characters. I don't read comics though, so it's mostly TV, movies, and games where I experience them. I find the DC characters more interesting at the end of the day. Sadly there hasn't been an interesting DC live-action movie in many years now, but their animated "straight to video" releases are decent. Nothing they do can compare to the animated TV shows they had under Bruce Timm though; those were solid gold.

Batman is probably my favourite character (definitely the one I have the most books from, followed closely by Deadpool), but the DC movies have been bad for years (except LEGO Batman, which was very cool). Contrast the Marvel movies, which have been getting better and seem to be learning from mistakes.

The ironic thing is, so many of the legendary comics artists and writers over the years have worked for both Marvel and DC. But fans aren't allowed to like both! Pfft.

Just like the console wars, it's completely artificial. As if people can't own multiple consoles for multiple reasons.

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

Yeah, I'll be playing docked 98% of the time. I was thinking of maybe getting a Pro Controller too, yeah.

Hello, me from February 2017. Have I got some things to tell you...

But yeah definitely get a pro controller, it's my favourite controller of current consoles.

Alright :lol:. Yeah, I want to try out some different things. Last I've played on a Nintendo console was probably 8 years ago on the Wii so I want to give some different franchises a go :P. Especially looking forward to Octopath Traveler though, as that looks like it's right up my alley.

Yeah I skipped the Wii U too. Switch is great for me as I'm more busy these days and much of my playtime is on the move or just before sleeping in bed, but I can still Switch switch to playing my active game on the big screen if I want. And I wanted those Nintendo exclusives again, like Zelda. I didn't realise when I bought the Switch that I would go and use it as a primary console, but it happened pretty quickly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

Yesss... yess.... join us again. No consequences, you can leave anytime you know :devil:

... Actually I can, and already did.

Point back then was that I was really inactive on the site and didn't have much of a backlog left, so playing through three games before buying a new one became a real hassle.

Right now, with all my Switch purchases, I have a backlog to speak of again so I should get back to counting my games.

I'll be in later, possibly this evening so I can immediately write down my full backlog.

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

That's cool and all, but they announced a single player mode... of sorts! It's not a story mode, but it's at least an arcade-style mode for solo players. Hmm. My interest went up slightly from "barely any interest" to "somewhat interested, probably at a discount".

In other news, Scribblenauts Mega Pack is apparently coming to Switch next month: https://nintendoeverything.com/scribblenauts-mega-pack-announced-for-switch-scribblenauts-unlimited-and-scribblenauts-unmasked-with-new-content/ One article said the price was $40 and one said $30, but either way it's not a bad deal for two games. I've had my eye on Unmasked for a while now and playing it on Switch would be my preferred platform.

37 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That's cool and all, but they announced a single player mode... of sorts! It's not a story mode, but it's at least an arcade-style mode for solo players. Hmm. My interest went up slightly from "barely any interest" to "somewhat interested, probably at a discount".

In other news, Scribblenauts Mega Pack is apparently coming to Switch next month: https://nintendoeverything.com/scribblenauts-mega-pack-announced-for-switch-scribblenauts-unlimited-and-scribblenauts-unmasked-with-new-content/ One article said the price was $40 and one said $30, but either way it's not a bad deal for two games. I've had my eye on Unmasked for a while now and playing it on Switch would be my preferred platform.

Yeah, I probably played smash 4 for less than an hour total due to the lack of an adventure mode

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

44 minutes ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

King K. Rool in Smash Ultimate made my life komplete. 

40 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Is this all official, Direct stuff? I know the Smash Direct is today but I haven't looked for it and don't know if it's been on already.

Anyway, the King K Rool is a weird one. I thought the rights to the Kremlings were with Rare and that's why they had to come up with stupid shit like those waikiki tribe people and the penguins for the last two Donkey Kong Country games (at least the enemies from Tropical Freeze felt like they fit in DK games, I still think those tribe things are low effort weird).

If Rool is actually in Smash, then I'm hoping for him to return to an actual DK game at some point.

And yes, I know enough Smash characters haven't gotten a solo game in years or even decades.

Also, just wrote down my backlog for @Paleblood's event and dang, it looks bad to have it all in one long list. Looks like about half the stuff I got on the Switch is on there. Though truth be told, there are plenty games on there I was disappointed in and gave up on (Pan-Pan, Robonauts, Mario Tennis Aces), stuff I just rebought and don't have as a priority (L.A. Noire, South Park, The Fall 1), and stuff I got close to the end on and didn't feel like putting the effort in for instead of moving on to something else (Sonic Mania, Golf Story).

Edited by Ezio Auditore

2 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Is this all official, Direct stuff? I know the Smash Direct is today but I haven't looked for it and don't know if it's been on already.

Anyway, the King K Rool is a weird one. I thought the rights to the Kremlings were with Rare and that's why they had to come up with stupid shit like those waikiki tribe people and the penguins for the last two Donkey Kong Country games (at least the enemies from Tropical Freeze felt like they fit in DK games, I still think those tribe things are low effort weird).

If Rool is actually in Smash, then I'm hoping for him to return to an actual DK game at some point.

And yes, I know enough Smash characters haven't gotten a solo game in years or even decades.

Also, just wrote down my backlog for @Paleblood's event and dang, it looks bad to have it all in one long list. Looks like about half the stuff I got on the Switch is on there. Though truth be told, there are plenty games on there I was disappointed in and gave up on (Pan-Pan, Robonauts, Mario Tennis Aces), stuff I just rebought and don't have as a priority (L.A. Noire, South Park, The Fall 1), and stuff I got close to the end on and didn't feel like putting the effort in for instead of moving on to something else (Sonic Mania, Golf Story).

Yeah, this was from the smash direct earlier today. All the new characters are getting amiibos too

Afaik rare still own the rights to the kremlings, so they likely licensed him from microsoft

Edited by SnowxSakura

3 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Sweet. I collect some Amiibo of cool characters for my collection. Belmont and Rool could both be in there if their Amiibo look good.

Here's all the other stuff 

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/08/super-smash-bros-ultimate-limited-edition-announced-for-europe/

DkFaKh6XcAADdn8_thumb.jpg

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/08/super-smash-bros-ultimate-shows-off-new-items-assist-pokmon-and-assist-trophies/

Items

• Banana Gun: Looks like a banana… fires one powerful “bullet”
  • Killing Edge: When it glows, its power intensifies
  • Bomber: Lift it up and this powerful bomb will blow
  • Death’s Scythe: Instantly KO fighters who are badly damaged
  • Staff: Its power increases the farther you are from your target
  • Ramblin’ Evil Mushroom: Reverse the opponent’s controls
  • Rage Blaster: The higher your damage percentage, the stronger it gets

image: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/assistpokemon_thumb.png

assist pokemon

Assist Pokémon

• Alolan Exeggutor
  • Abra
  • Solgaleo
  • Lunala
  • Mimikyu
  • Pyukumuku
  • Vulpix
  • Alolan Vulpix
  • Marshadow
  • Ditto

image: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/zero_thumb.png

zero

Assist Trophies

• Zero
  • Knuckles
  • Krystal
  • Klaptrap
  • Kapp’n
  • Chef Kawasaki
  • Gray Fox
  • Nikki
  • Shovel Knight
  • Moon

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/08/simon-richter-belmont-king-k-rool-chrom-dark-samus-are-getting-amiibo-figures/

Following the reveal of Simon & Richter Belmont, Chrom, Dark Samus, and King K. Rool during today’s Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct, Nintendo announced that the five will get amiibo figures.

2018-08-08_080125

2018-08-08_080320

2018-08-08_081241

2018-08-08_081059

2018-08-08_092806

king

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/08/super-smash-bros-ultimate-will-have-103-stages-and-roughly-900-tracks/

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I would just like to take this opportunity to reiterate my opinion (I'd say it's a fact, but I don't want to be COMPLETELY irrational here...) that the Gamecube controller is terrible. "Serious" Smash Bros players should feel ashamed for liking the controller. That is all. :P

The new amiibo are cool, but I'm more interested in reprints of the out-of-print amiibo that were released with Smash Bros Wii U (which Nintendo hinted at). I decided a year or two ago that I wanted to get Bowser Jr and I could only find him for $40+ on eBay. I'd love to get him for $15. :)

We need to get some more Overcooked 2 hype in here. It's been the only game for me to play long enough for the battery to run out. The Switch exclusive Platypus chef is adorable.

Can anyone say how active the online for Mario Kart 8 is? I've been looking at it for a while but don't know if I can justify £50 if the online is dead.

2 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I would just like to take this opportunity to reiterate my opinion (I'd say it's a fact, but I don't want to be COMPLETELY irrational here...) that the Gamecube controller is terrible. "Serious" Smash Bros players should feel ashamed for liking the controller. That is all. :P

The new amiibo are cool, but I'm more interested in reprints of the out-of-print amiibo that were released with Smash Bros Wii U (which Nintendo hinted at). I decided a year or two ago that I wanted to get Bowser Jr and I could only find him for $40+ on eBay. I'd love to get him for $15. :)

I prefer the SNES controller myself, I'd probably rather use the wii classic controller over the gamecube one

23 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Following the reveal of Simon & Richter Belmont, Chrom, Dark Samus, and King K. Rool during today’s Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct, Nintendo announced that the five will get amiibo figures.

2018-08-08_080125

2018-08-08_080320

2018-08-08_081241

2018-08-08_081059

2018-08-08_092806

king

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/08/super-smash-bros-ultimate-will-have-103-stages-and-roughly-900-tracks/

With King K. Rool being announced I now hope for Banjo as a playable character. And Professor Layton and/or Phoenix Wright. We need more game series in Smash.

11 minutes ago, Asvinia said:

We need to get some more Overcooked 2 hype in here. It's been the only game for me to play long enough for the battery to run out. The Switch exclusive Platypus chef is adorable.

Can anyone say how active the online for Mario Kart 8 is? I've been looking at it for a while but don't know if I can justify £50 if the online is dead.

I have the first game but it quickly exceeded my "old man" skills in terms of speed. I don't think the first one is for me. That said, the Platypus chef definitely sounds adorable.

I'm pretty sure MK8 Deluxe is still very active in MP. I have it but I'm not much of a multiplayer gamer, and I haven't played it in a while.

12 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I prefer the SNES controller myself, I'd probably rather use the wii classic controller over the gamecube one

Good point, you don't even need analog sticks or extra buttons to play Smash. I think the Wii and Wii U versions let you play with a sideways Wiimote (it might have used motion controls for a super move or something, but it was mostly the D-pad and 4 buttons.

• Like 1

I just received my Switch today :D (ordered it yesterday). I also ordered Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8 and Octopath Traveler but those'll most likely arrive tomorrow. I'm really excited to try those games out :).

11 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Just like @MosesRockefeller, I'm going to ask you if you're only interested in games you can't play on your Sony device(s) or if you want to use the Switch also for games that could be played on other platforms.

On games you won't find on Sony devices: Zelda, Mario + Rabbids, World Of Goo, Fast RMX, Bayonetta 2 (and soon 3), Kirby Star Allies (I'd try to get it on a sale though), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Runner3, Hyrule Warriors, Golf Story, Picross S, Super Mario Odyssey, Hollow Knight, VS Super Mario Bros., Human Resource Machine...

All depending on your own likes/dislikes but I'd say maybe check all these titles to see if anything appeals to you. There's platformers in there, racing, puzzling, hack and slash...

I don't mind either way, I'll obviously really want to play the exclusives on the Switch but I don't have a particular preference for third party games on either platform.

Donkey Kong definitely looks interesting and so does Super Mario Odyssey. I'd also be interested in Zelda but I'm not sure if Breath of the Wild is a good point to start in the series? From what I saw, Golf Story looked super fun so I did buy that one just now.

10 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I just received my Switch today :D (ordered it yesterday). I also ordered Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8 and Octopath Traveler but those'll most likely arrive tomorrow. I'm really excited to try those games out :).

I don't mind either way, I'll obviously really want to play the exclusives on the Switch but I don't have a particular preference for third party games on either platform.

Donkey Kong definitely looks interesting and so does Super Mario Odyssey. I'd also be interested in Zelda but I'm not sure if Breath of the Wild is a good point to start in the series? From what I saw, Golf Story looked super fun so I did buy that one just now.

Nice.  Welcome to the family.  If you're looking for accessory/controller suggestions I'd like to point you to the 8bitdo SN30 Pro Controller.  It's a fantastic controller that I've been using while playing Octopath.  It feels great playing a throwback JRPG with a throwback controller.  I don't have a pro controller so I just use this thing.  It's pretty nice.  

Image result for 8bitdo controller

Edited by angelgrievous
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I had never finished a Zelda game before I played BotW, which is the first Zelda game I finished. I had a passing familiarity with the series, due to playing most of the original Zelda, and bits and pieces of Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Hyrule Warriors. I'd say some experience is helpful, but not necessary to enjoy BotW.

• Like 1

Thanks @SnowxSakura for all the info.

I'm hoping Smash will contain a huge list of challenges like in what I think was the GC one. That would make purchasing the game more likely for me.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

GC controller always was a bit weird to me. I loved the SNES controller back in the day, today it feels a teeny bit too small. I still enjoy the N64 controller.

2 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

With King K. Rool being announced I now hope for Banjo as a playable character. And Professor Layton and/or Phoenix Wright. We need more game series in Smash.

Now Banjo I know for sure is in Microsoft's greasy hands, and they won't soon let him go.

2 hours ago, Asvinia said:

I'd say the game is still worth it just for a full playthrough solo, and to play occasionally with people in real life instead of over the internet.

45 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Nice, enjoy!

Remember: screen protector (glass preferably), pro controller, travelling bag/case!

In that case, personally I enjoy 8-bit graphics from games like Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, Retro City Rampage and others a lot more on the small Switch handheld screen than on the television.

Any Zelda is self-contained, even the rare few that are direct sequels to other Zelda games (of which Breath Of The Wild isn't one). They're (almost) all legends of a hero reincarnated to fight the evil reincarnated, so feel free to go through them in any order you feel like. You'll find familiar themes, areas, occasionally even people, but most games are generations apart from each other, and there's even different timelines, which you'll only really figure out if you get it explained to you outside of the games.

Basically, any Zelda game is a separate entity with a few reused pieces, and Breath Of The Wild, being the most recent iteration, is as good a place to start as any.

36 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Nice.  Welcome to the family.  If you're looking for accessory/controller suggestions I'd like to point you to the 8bitdo SN30 Pro Controller.  It's a fantastic controller that I've been using while playing Octopath.  It feels great playing a throwback JRPG with a throwback controller.  I don't have a pro controller so I just use this thing.  It's pretty nice.  

Image result for 8bitdo controller

... Wow. Gotta check soon if those are available over here.

I somehow think it's extra hilarious playing South Park: The Fractured But Whole on a Nintendo platform, which some people still dismiss as being kiddy just because they have Mario and Pokémon, even though Nintendo's stable also includes stuff like Eternal Darkness and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Cartman's journal made me laugh very hard, even thoigh I played the game a year ago and should've seen this joke coming. If you haven't played the game and wonder what Cartman's journal is about, in case you decide to Google, it's seriously NSFW.

10 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I know that Banjo belongs to Microsoft now. But it's also a Rare charcter as is King K. Rool. So maybe they can get him as well.

There's a difference between an original Rare character (which obviously is Rare's property since they released a game with him for Microsoft), and original characters created for a game made on commission starring an established Nintendo character. Having King K Rool turn up in Smash obviously means Nintendo has the rights, but Banjo has already been established before as being Rare's property.