Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy FUNKING HELL, MATE, for real? 185+ hours on Fortnite?

Show me on the doll where the single player story driven game hurt you...

On 30/10/2018 at 5:37 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm not sure about Let's Go either, but I'm coming from a different angle. I've never gotten very far with the DS and 3DS entries I've tried. No nostalgia for me, and I'm not sure if the simplified gameplay would make me more likely to stick with it this time. I'm not sure if I can put a finger on the games never keep me engaged. I'd be looking at this game more as a new RPG and not as much as a Pokemon game.

Truth be told, I finished only about half the Pokémon games I started, maybe even less. On the one hand, I never liked being forced into random battles, but on the other, I'm not sure if having no wild battles at all is the lesser of two evils for me.

2 hours ago, Kassandra said:

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy FUNKING HELL, MATE, for real? 185+ hours on Fortnite?

Show me on the doll where the single player story driven game hurt you...

Well I got quite into it at first, played a good 30/40 hours or so over the two or three weeks, maybe. I don't know. Played it on the toilet, on the train, such an easy game to pick up, but then I got bored as you would and went to move on. Then Caitlyn got into it on Xbox and we'd do cross play, after the kiddo went down we'd play an hour or two most days. To be fair, we missed most of season 5 all together, could have been a lot more hours. It's been out for nearly 150 days though, so factor in the initial big burst of hours, then a second wind with Caitlyn in co-op, and then it finally leveled out to about an hour or two a day in bed to kill time / relax. 

Caitlyn bought the Battle Pass this season with some gift cards, I ended up buying it a week or so back too. I had stacked up 400 free moneys from playing prior seasons, then bought the Ace costume pack, which came with another 600 bucks. That was 6.50 I think, but I paid with like 4 or 5 bucks of gold coins so actual out of pocket money spent on the game was like a dollar or two tops. I ain't wasting money on silly costumes, but the Battle Pass definitely adds a lot more to the game, 15 bucks worth (BP is 950V and 1000V is the lowest you can buy outside of that costume, that's $15) though? Nah. I'd very much like to buy the single player and give it a crack, but they said it's not coming to Switch so that won't happen, then they said it's coming out sometime for free anyway so that completely killed any interest. I'll give it a crack on Xbone sometime maybe.

Anyway. Nah, it's just one of those games man. If it clicks with you, you can sink so much damn time into it. And I've been out most of the last two weeks as well, so I've only added about 10 hours in the last 20 odd days. Should see Caitlyn's. Like I said, she played primarily on Xbox, until she bought a Switch 3 or 4 weeks back, she's already almost at 100 hours on her own. 

Short answer: Game's fun, easy to jump into and play for 10 minutes or so here and there, equally easy to sit there for hours and give yourself a bad back when the kiddo's down.

Just bought Night In The Woods on sale. I've hear a lot of good things about it, so I decided to take the leap.

There were more games on sale that I'm interested in, like LIMBO, INSIDE, The Gardens Between and other stuff, but I'll try to focus on my backlog a bit more.

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy I just can't see myself getting so far past 100 hours on one single game. Even with Stardew Valley, I'm just done after the first two years, which took about 65-70 hours for me. I'll get beyond 100 hours for Assassin's Creed Odyssey, but I only spent 70-75 hours on the main game and any time I'm going to put in it now is for new content.

29 minutes ago, Kassandra said:

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy I just can't see myself getting so far past 100 hours on one single game. Even with Stardew Valley, I'm just done after the first two years, which took about 65-70 hours for me. I'll get beyond 100 hours for Assassin's Creed Odyssey, but I only spent 70-75 hours on the main game and any time I'm going to put in it now is for new content.

Well like right now, me and Caitlyn just had 5 or 6 decent rounds, which killed a good three quarts of an hour while Bilbo was sleeping (she's back down now, but her Switch is low anyway so eh) and doing that here and there adds up quite quickly. We've both got the Battle Pass now too, which in turn leads to compulsive grinding and finishing off the last couple missions (I've done almost all of the five current weeks in the last 3 or 4 days for example), it's just so quick and easy to jump into a match that you find yourself doing it more than you would most games. 

Like last night, I played Super Mario 3D World for a little bit on the Wii U, and to get that, I had to turn the thing on, wait for the game to load up, load in, and finally be good to go. In that time I'm already a minute or so into a game of Fortnite and when I'm done I just close the screen and resume later, on Wii U I gotta save, kill the thing, then turn it back on later and so on and that's a good couple minutes right there. It's just super convenient really, it's quite the decent game, but it's really just another shooter at it's core. It's fun, but I'm sure there's better battle royale games out there by now (Blops 4 is apparently quite sweet), but it's nice and familiar and convenient. 

Plus Caitlyn is proper into it, and it's not super often a game comes along that captures her like this one has, and god knows it's nice to have a game in common. She's more of a movie / TV person in her free time, and almost every time we go to watch a movie, unless it's something I'm really interested in, all I can think is "this is 2 hours I could be spending chipping away at the backlog". Of course, Fortnite ain't in the backlog and now I'm just rambling, so to make a stupid long story short

tl;dr it's just a quick and easy game to get into, and playing it with the missus is nice. 

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy yeah it's nice when your partner wants to play along with something. Doesn't happen all too often on this end, though my wife likes Super Mario Party when we play with others (I still have not played it solo). Other than that,I could play LEGO games with her but I'm just not feeling those any more. I'll probably buy Pode soon on the Switch but I just think it's too expensive for what it is now.

17 hours ago, Kassandra said:

Truth be told, I finished only about half the Pokémon games I started, maybe even less. On the one hand, I never liked being forced into random battles, but on the other, I'm not sure if having no wild battles at all is the lesser of two evils for me.

Do they really have no wild battles? I saw a gameplay demo that showed wild Pokemon wandering around in tall grass. I assume they can be fought.

1 minute ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Do they really have no wild battles? I saw a gameplay demo that showed wild Pokemon wandering around in tall grass. I assume they can be fought.

... Nope. Pokémon Go gameplay. Wild Pokémon are not there to fight, just throw poké balls at them and hope they stay in.

4 minutes ago, Kassandra said:

... Nope. Pokémon Go gameplay. Wild Pokémon are not there to fight, just throw poké balls at them and hope they stay in.

Oh, I see. I don't really know what Pokemon Go gameplay is, since I swore off smartphone games years ago. I stopped playing those games just as the whole "time-limited gameplay with paid time extensions" gameplay began creeping in and taking over, which was well before Pokemon Go came out.

Anyway, if what you're saying is, you essentially skip the battles with wild Pokemon and just go straight to capturing them, that doesn't sound so bad to me. There are plenty of battles to be had anyway, from what I saw. It was about 8 minutes and there were like 5 people standing around who would challenge you in battle, so the combat is not in short supply. Seeing as random encounters are my most hated annoyance in RPGs (I think they should have died out 20 years ago), this seems like an acceptable change to me. True, Pokemon games in the past balanced random encounters by limiting them to tall grass, but still... I hate random encounters so fucking much.

1 minute ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Oh, I see. I don't really know what Pokemon Go gameplay is, since I swore off smartphone games years ago. I stopped playing those games just as the whole "time-limited gameplay with paid time extensions" gameplay began creeping in and taking over, which was well before Pokemon Go came out.

Anyway, if what you're saying is, you essentially skip the battles with wild Pokemon and just go straight to capturing them, that doesn't sound so bad to me. There are plenty of battles to be had anyway, from what I saw. It was about 8 minutes and there were like 5 people standing around who would challenge you in battle, so the combat is not in short supply. Seeing as random encounters are my most hated annoyance in RPGs (I think they should have died out 20 years ago), this seems like an acceptable change to me. True, Pokemon games in the past balanced random encounters by limiting them to tall grass, but still... I hate random encounters so fucking much.

I think the best thing would be showing the Pokémon on the map, so you'll be able to choose whether or not to fight them, but the option to fight still being there.

Come to think of it, Pokémon games are based around a pretty dated formula. How cool would it be if we got some Breath Of The Wild type country, with Pokémon roaming wild... Needing to battle and weaken some mons before you could capture them, bribing a Togepi with a cookie so you can capture it, needing to run away from that cave you thought would only have Zubats but which actually contained an Onix... Pokémon could be so much better if they brought current day western RPG rules into the mix. Turn based battles could still happen with trainers.

5 hours ago, Kassandra said:

It's not that hard to play games past the 100h mark. I have some as well but mostly on PC. The last console game I got over 100h in was Final Fantasy 12 on PS2 with about 120h. Before that I had like 380h in Pokem Emerald Edition. On one save file. I really had all 386 Pokemon. I even bought Pokem Channel for the Gamecube to get a Jirachi in Emerald.

These days I have 4 games on Steam with over 100h. Rocket League is #1 with 587h then Binding of Isaac with 461h, Terraria with 176h and Euro Truck Simulator with 111h. I could count RPG Maker VX Ace with 110h but it's not really a game.

I can't say if I ever will get that many hours in a single player game again but multiplayer games with friends are different.

1 hour ago, Kassandra said:

I think the best thing would be showing the Pokémon on the map, so you'll be able to choose whether or not to fight them, but the option to fight still being there.

Come to think of it, Pokémon games are based around a pretty dated formula. How cool would it be if we got some Breath Of The Wild type country, with Pokémon roaming wild... Needing to battle and weaken some mons before you could capture them, bribing a Togepi with a cookie so you can capture it, needing to run away from that cave you thought would only have Zubats but which actually contained an Onix... Pokémon could be so much better if they brought current day western RPG rules into the mix. Turn based battles could still happen with trainers.

I'm all for change and creativity, but I'm not sure about the Western RPG aspect. I grew tired of Western RPGs years ago, and I have zero interest in something like Witcher 3. So I'm not sure if I want those elements in Pokemon games. I still think the two RPG types are best left separate. I'm not against them borrowing things from each other, but I wouldn't want to lose what makes JRPG games what they are.

34 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

I watched the last Smash Bros Direct today. It not only includes new fighters Inicneroar and Ken Masters, but the one we have been hoping for, an Adventure Mode!

Cool, gotta check later when I have the time. Sounds like I might be interested in Smash then after all.

59 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

I watched the last Smash Bros Direct today. It not only includes new fighters Inicneroar and Ken Masters, but the one we have been hoping for, an Adventure Mode!

For reals?

My interest just skyrocketed.  Good thing I have it preordered. ;)

1 hour ago, MMX20 said:

For really reals. ;)

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but this seems like a Far Cry (pun intended) from the story mode in Brawl. I mean, it's more than what the Wii U / 3DS version had by the simple fact that it even HAS a single player mode, but it doesn't sound very substantial so far.

As for myself, I'll wait and see what the reviews say about the story mode.

I just finished The Messenger, and I don't think there's any game left that could prevent The Messenger from becoming my GOTY 2018. Seriously, what an awesome game.

@MosesRockefeller definitely your cup of tea, I think.

In other news, Grim Fandango is on the Switch now. I like that Double Fine is going at the Switch but I'll wait for The Day Of The Tentacle.

In other news, Pokémon Let's Go is up for digital pre-order and once again Nintendo makes it double gold points, so technically the game would be €54. Hmmmmm...

19 hours ago, MMX20 said:

17 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but this seems like a Far Cry (pun intended) from the story mode in Brawl. I mean, it's more than what the Wii U / 3DS version had by the simple fact that it even HAS a single player mode, but it doesn't sound very substantial so far.

As for myself, I'll wait and see what the reviews say about the story mode.

I haven't owned any Smash after the GameCube one (the Wii one was too slow for my liking).

I've seen the Direct stuff now myself (skipped past the boring sprites stuff and such), and this Adventure mode looks to be decent enough for me to buy the game, play Adventure myself, and then keep the game to play with others offline once a month.

The Direct said it was up for pre-order afterwards but unless I missed it, I didn't see it yesterday evening when I checked the eShop. Is it 2x gold coins? Just checked, yes it is!

What I want to know now is: why the fuck is the digital version listed as being €70 while the physical version can be bought for €60?

Edit: checked a few others and for US it's still $60, for UK it's still £60, France is also €70... Apparently it's us Euro paying folk who get shafted more than usual.

Well, if I need to buy it physical to get the €60 or under price or if I need to make a US account to download it, then Nintendo can just suck it. I wonder if they'll even notice it in sales, probably too many fans who'll buy it anyway. I am not a big enough fan that I'm going to just bend over for Nintendo if they randomly decide to up the digital price for their main 2018 game.

Edited by Kassandra

Been a while since I just did a Switch update.

> First off, finally hit 200 hours in Fortnite, making it by far my most played game, a good 160 odd hours ahead of my next best, NBA Playgrounds. Speaking of NBA Playgrounds, I have the physical version of NBA Playgrounds 2 ordered, which hits Switch on the 6th here, so four more sleeps.

>> Hover was on sale the other day and I bought it, haven't played it yet, but I'm about to when I finish this post.

>>> Also bought The Videokid, after playing it on Game Pass a few weeks back, I couldn't resist it's first sale on Switch. Great Paperboy style game, strongly recommended if you enjoy that game.

>> Preordered Horizon Chase Turbo. It's an updated version of a game that hit 3DS a year or so back, total Out Run clone, which is great because I love Out Run and need more of it in my life and was annoyed when it came to 3DS but not Switch in the day, would have liked to have got a discount for ordering though so if it gets a 10/20% off deal for ordering, none of you guys better tell me. You know what else pisses me off? Downloading the game. It's nearly downloaded entirely in the time it took to write this. If the game is fucking ready, why do I have to wait until THE END OF THE MONTH for it? Like give me early access as a preorder incentive or something, I don't know, but if the game is already up on the store and there's no physical version planned, why the fuck wouldn't you let me play it if I can download it? Anyway, I wish Out Run was in ANY of the Sega re-releases,

>> Sega re-releases? The Sega Mega Drive Collection is up for preorder on the eShop now. They want 60 bucks for it. I'll buy it in store for 50, thank you very much, bummer though as I'd like to have a game like that be digital and on my Switch at all times, but I haven't put a cart in the Switch in weeks so maybe I'll just leave it in there for a while.

> I've also played like 5 minutes total of Red Dead 2. I've actually played more Wii U since RDR dropped, that's how little interest I have.

37 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

> First off, finally hit 200 hours in Fortnite, making it by far my most played game, a good 160 odd hours ahead of my next best, NBA Playgrounds. Speaking of NBA Playgrounds, I have the physical version of NBA Playgrounds 2 ordered, which hits Switch on the 6th here, so four more sleeps.

Have you tried NBA Playgrounds 2 yet? I've heard the microtransactions are more noticeable this time. Then again, since you are more forgiving of free-to-play games than I am, you're probably not as annoyed by microtransactions as I am. I already thought the first game was too in-your-face with the unlockables. I don't want to play 50 matches to unlock 5 players (it may not be that slow to progress, but it sure felt that way). Is it too much to ask for a simple NBA Jam spiritual successor?

39 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

> I've also played like 5 minutes total of Red Dead 2. I've actually played more Wii U since RDR dropped, that's how little interest I have.

RDR2 is a very slow game. It takes a while to get going, and it plays very differently from most modern open-world game (especially the Ubisoft ones). I like it a lot, but I also accept the fact that some nights I am only going to get one mission done (if that) and a bit of exploration. If I was going for the Platinum, I would probably feel pretty frustrated. The game isn't for everyone, and trophy hunting in it isn't for everyone. I'm playing it without even thinking about the trophies, and I'm enjoying myself a lot.

I fired up Hover three quarts of an hour ago. I intended to play five or so, get a feel, and head off to bed, next thing I know I’ve been playin it for 40 minutes and it’s nearly midnight.

A bit rough around the edges, but so far it’s a really cool parkour game that is just begging for me to be able to spider web around, but alas, FIRST PERSON FRONT FLIPS WITH ACTUAL CAMERA MOVEMENT (something I’ve wanted in a Spider-Man game for literally ever) will have to do.

Expect more in depth talk some time, but imagine Tony Hawk and Spider-Man had a baby and Jet Set Radio raised the baby after they divorced, you’d end up with this game. 

Guys, I was originally get Kingdom Hearts 2.8 (PS4) as my October payment, but since Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee is coming out this month, should I get Pokemon Let's GO Pikachu as my October payment (I mean, October has already passed, but I am thinking of getting Let's GO Pikachu when it releases this month) even if I didn't play Pokemon GO? I heard some positive and negative things about Pokemon Let's GO Pikachu and Let's GO Eevee. And since I am a Pokemon fan, I want to get Let's GO Pikachu for Switch.

21 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Guys, I was originally get Kingdom Hearts 2.8 (PS4) as my October payment, but since Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee is coming out this month, should I get Pokemon Let's GO Pikachu as my October payment (I mean, October has already passed, but I am thinking of getting Let's GO Pikachu when it releases this month) even if I didn't play Pokemon GO? I heard some positive and negative things about Pokemon Let's GO Pikachu and Let's GO Eevee. And since I am a Pokemon fan, I want to get Let's GO Pikachu for Switch.

Download Pokémon Go. Give it a g- I mean, try. In particular, focus on how you are throwing balls at wild Pokémon to catch them.

Now, as a Pokémon fan, ask yourself this question: are you okay by Let's Go not having random wild Pokémon encounters/battles, but wild Pokémon that roam the map like in Go, that need to be caught just by throwing poké balls, like in Go?

If you're okay with that, then Let's Go is probably worth the buy.

I mean, Pokémon Go is basically a free demo for the main gameplay change in Let's Go compared to other main line games. Might as well use it to try out the mechanics.

9 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Have you tried NBA Playgrounds 2 yet? I've heard the microtransactions are more noticeable this time. Then again, since you are more forgiving of free-to-play games than I am, you're probably not as annoyed by microtransactions as I am. I already thought the first game was too in-your-face with the unlockables. I don't want to play 50 matches to unlock 5 players (it may not be that slow to progress, but it sure felt that way). Is it too much to ask for a simple NBA Jam spiritual successor?

RDR2 is a very slow game. It takes a while to get going, and it plays very differently from most modern open-world game (especially the Ubisoft ones). I like it a lot, but I also accept the fact that some nights I am only going to get one mission done (if that) and a bit of exploration. If I was going for the Platinum, I would probably feel pretty frustrated. The game isn't for everyone, and trophy hunting in it isn't for everyone. I'm playing it without even thinking about the trophies, and I'm enjoying myself a lot.

Sorry man, your message literally popped up as I was finishing mine and tbh I was typing on a tiny little iPhone on the toilet and it was late and I just couldn't be bothered. But here I am now.

I have not tried it yet. It came out digitally a week and a half or so ago on Switch, yeah? Physical was weirdly delayed but the thing is, if digital is 50 and physical is 50, well, I'm choosing physical, if for no reason other than it lets me keep some precious memory card space, the first game was at the time the biggest digital game I owned, and I think still in the top ten or so now. Anyway, that's why I haven't played it yet. As for microtransactions? I fucking hate them. I think they are a cancer on the industry outside of genuine free to play games and even there they are 9.5 times out of 10 massively implemented to the detriment of the overall game's quality and enjoyment. I fucking despise them, okay. As for free to play games on the whole, outside of Fortnite, the ONLY free to play games I can think of ever getting remotely into, is Dead Trigger on mobile, and Blacklight Retribution on PS4. I genuinely can't think of a single other F2P game I've spent more than 20 odd minutes on, and those two, I didn't spend a cent in. As for Fortnite, I also only spent three bucks and change, after months of play for free, of my own free will, on stuff that didn't change the game or give me an advantage or anything, yada yada yada. In Fortnite, the Battle Pass just gets you some more fun challenges to do each week and a bunch of costumes and cosmetics and shit, is it necessary? No. Is it even really worth it? Nah, probably not, but Caitlyn got her pass and I thought why not, I'd levelled up enough for free to take off more than half the cost of the pass as well, and could have easily kept going and still enjoyed the game, and then paid for the pass entirely for free. Anyway, moral of the story is I fucking hate microtransactions, I fucking hate F2P most of the time, and Fortnite does free to play better than any game I've played before, and since the game can be played, literally endlessly, for free with no loading or wait times or disadvantages or anything, I would almost not want to tie Fortnite to the F2P model, it almost deserves to actually be called free. Because it, like how F2P once was, is a game you can actually play for free, without spending a cent, ever, and get just as much satisfaction as the guy who decides he wants that stupid costume for 20 bucks.

As for the first NBA's microtransactions. I didn't find them too bad, HOWEVER, I played the game for 30 odd hours before the big patch came out, they may have unlocked easier then, after the patch changed things up, we lost interest (more on that later, and it links in with NBA Jam tbh) and moved on. That being said, I played an hour or so of it on Xbox One a couple months back, all patches downloaded, through Game Pass, and I unlocked nearly a hundred people in that time. You do start off with 5 packs though, and I didn't get any doubles, so take 25 off of that, you still got around 75 players for an hour or so of play time. I won every match (I play offline), but I'm no master or anything, it's not like I was scoring 3000 points per match and that's why I got so many, so I don't know. Anyway, with regards to the second game and why the whole F2P schtick doesn't bother me,

1. Because it's NBA 2K now, and the truth of the matter is, the main people who play this game, have no qualms with buying it every year and wasting money on VC, so my not buying it wouldn't do a thing compared to those numbers. My waiting for the Switch version to be physical on the other hand, who knows, if enough do it, maybe more *actual* 2K Games might come to Switch.

2. Because the patch that brought in the shot metre and took away unlimited stamina and whatnot in the first game, is what ruined it for us, running around with unlimited everything and just knocking everyone over was so much arcadey fun and supposedly the proper NBA 2K games let you use modifiers and whatnot to achieve such a thing, I hope the NBA 2K PG game follows suit, though tbh a Google could confirm or deny.

3. And finally, because I don't give a singular flying fuck about basketball at all. Like not even one. Not even half of one. So I don't care about unlocking players I've never heard of, I'm happy to just play with however many you get out the gate, level them up, and literally never change players. Hell, if you stripped the license and just made it the same game but without official teams and players (and hopefully sold it for a good chunk less than 50 bucks), I'd be exactly the same level of interested. Hell, maybe even more, since sometimes the fake teams and exaggerated players are quite the hoot.

So to keep that brief, I don't like microtransactions, Fortnite does F2P right, I want some unrealistic NBA Jame style games too, and NBA microtransactions can fuck off because I can't change them and I don't care about unlocking players anyways.

...RDR. Yeah I've heard. I just haven't got around to it more than anything. It's not really a pick up and play for five minutes type game so I'm saving myself for when I have a good couple hours, if and when anyway, but I was never excited out the gate, game's probably not for me anyway tbh, but I figured as much nonetheless.

AND FINALLY. Now you see why I didn't reply last night, imagine typing this on a phone at half past eleven, you'd be there until half past midnight.