Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

12 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Well, if you like those...

Zelda already has a title on the Switch, Breath Of The Wild. I thought it was amazing.

Breath of the Wild is indeed amazing, I have it on switch and Wii U. It's like an easier open world Dark Souls imo, Maybe not but the ruins and atmosphere.

So, I'm over twelve hours in now. Found a Rhyhorn so I replaced Sandslash - Rhyhorn is much more my tempo, with its buff attacks.

So now my definite group is Pikachu, Rhyhorn, Charmeleon, Wartortle and Ivysaur - yes, I decided to keep Ivysaur too. If there's one thing Let's Go has taught me, it's that the first gen really has much less awesome Pokémon in it than I thought it had. I still have Butterfree in the party, which I might switch out when I find a Dratini, but for now Butterfree is my only Flying Pokémon (until Charmeleon evolves), and I love it when an opponent's Pokémon uses the Dig move only for me to switch to Butterfree in between.

On 21/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, CaptainMonkster said:

So me and my partner bought the pokemon limited edition swich bundle. This is the first nintendo console ive ha since the gamecube so looking forward to getting back into some nintendo classics x) doed anyone have any recommendations? Currently got mario odyssey and pokemon lets go. Hoping there's some other zelda/mario/donkey kong/metroid/pikmin games on the way!

Hey, remember that one time when I quoted this post and told you both Zelda and Donkey Kong already have amazing titles out on the Switch?

Well, those titles just went on sale digitally for 33% off.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 1:31 PM, Agent 47 said:

Hey, remember that one time when I quoted this post and told you both Zelda and Donkey Kong already have amazing titles out on the Switch?

Well, those titles just went on sale digitally for 33% off.

Interestingly, Zelda isn't on sale in the USA, and Donkey Kong is only 30, not 33%, off. 

I took advantage of the sale and grabbed Skyrim (50% off), Candle Power of the Flame, Dead Cells, and The Messenger (you finally talked me into it). I was tempted by Doom and Wolfenstein 2 at 50% off, but I decided not to get them since I have really lost interest in FPS games in the past few years. 

Combined with my physical purchases - Just Dance 2019 (don't judge, it's mostly for my daughter) and the Robot and Vehicle Labo kits (Best Buy had a special deal bringing them down to $40 each) - along with my earlier purchases this month of Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Pool Panic, I have enough new Switch games to last me about 2 years now. Plus my existing backlog... 

Of all these new games, the only ones I've played so far are Pool Panic, Let's Go, and Dead Cells. Dead Cells is damned addictive, that's for sure. I die a lot but I'm slowly making progress at unlocking new abilities and weapons. It's a very cool game. 

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

and The Messenger (you finally talked me into it)

poe36.gif

Seriously, if you enjoy it even half as much as I did, it's money well spent. I hope you end up liking it.

Interestingly, Zelda isn't on sale in the USA, and Donkey Kong is only 30, not 33%, off. 

Here it's Zelda, Kong, Mario and Hyrule, all 33% off.

I've said it before, but the more I look back, the more I think Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze might be the best platformer in recent years, at the very least the best AAA one.

I'd almost hope Retro Studios has been working on another DKC title for all these years but I'm relatively sure their current project is a new IP.

I took advantage of the sale and grabbed Skyrim (50% off), Candle Power of the Flame, Dead Cells, and The Messenger (you finally talked me into it). I was tempted by Doom and Wolfenstein 2 at 50% off, but I decided not to get them since I have really lost interest in FPS games in the past few years. 

I need to get back to Skyrim, but I want to finish more smaller games first.

I've never been into FPS titles, with only a bare few exceptions. The last one I liked though, was DOOM.

Combined with my physical purchases - Just Dance 2019 (don't judge, it's mostly for my daughter) and the Robot and Vehicle Labo kits (Best Buy had a special deal bringing them down to $40 each) - along with my earlier purchases this month of Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Pool Panic, I have enough new Switch games to last me about 2 years now. Plus my existing backlog... 

I never judge! Well, not when the reason a game is bought is not a quick platinum, anyway :D

I need to do even more about my backlog than I am doing now, which is why I upped the ante in @Paleblood's backlog event, now I need nine stories played through instead of just three before I can buy a new game.

Of all these new games, the only ones I've played so far are Pool Panic, Let's Go, and Dead Cells. Dead Cells is damned addictive, that's for sure. I die a lot but I'm slowly making progress at unlocking new abilities and weapons. It's a very cool game. 

What do you think of Pool Panic? I've played some more levels and I still think it's fun. Don't know if I'll get around to doing all 104, though.

Also, go play The Messenger! :)

• Like 1

Two things.

1. I just got a 200GB Micro SD for 31.73 AUD, I defy y'all to beat that.

2. Chicken Assassin Reloaded is on sale and I bought it on a whim from the cool trailer and it's a fucking thing and then some. Imagine if My Name Is Mayo had a point, beginning, middle and end, actual effort put into it, and was an actual game. That's what this is. It's a button smasher, you just beat the crap out of everything via button smash, I've already hit it like 15K times and my thumb hurts. The thing is not what I was expecting to say the least. I don't know if it's worth 8 or 9 bucks as a "fuck it, I'll have a look" kind of recommendation, but if it hits 5 or under eventually I'd say it's definitely worth a quick go, there's plenty of content here and I'm already a good two or three hours in and my thumb is dead. Check a look at the trailer 

32 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Two things.

2. Chicken Assassin Reloaded is on sale and I bought it on a whim from the cool trailer and it's a fucking thing and then some. Imagine if My Name Is Mayo had a point, beginning, middle and end, actual effort put into it, and was an actual game. That's what this is. It's a button smasher, you just beat the crap out of everything via button smash, I've already hit it like 15K times and my thumb hurts. The thing is not what I was expecting to say the least. I don't know if it's worth 8 or 9 bucks as a "fuck it, I'll have a look" kind of recommendation, but if it hits 5 or under eventually I'd say it's definitely worth a quick go, there's plenty of content here and I'm already a good two or three hours in and my thumb is dead. Check a look at the trailer 

I don't know if it beats it, but I bought a 400gb microsd card for 70 dollars for the switch during Thanksgiving thursday

7 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

I've never been into FPS titles, with only a bare few exceptions. The last one I liked though, was DOOM.

Go back in time to 1994, and my parents bought our first post-Commodore 64 computer. It was a Gateway 2000 486 SX 33 with 4MB of RAM and Windows for Workgroups 3.11. And a 2X CD-ROM drive. We had a neighbor who came over and gave my brother and me some games that we didn't tell our parents about, and one of them was Wolfenstein 3D. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure those games were pirated. :awesome: In any case, I was playing Wolf 3D when I was 14, and it started a long love of FPS games. It wasn't until I went from a PC-only gamer to a console-only gamer that I finally lost interest in them, and i still played a few (most recently, Wolfenstein New Order on PS4). But it's been a gradual decline and now the genre is pretty dead to me. 

I never judge! Well, not when the reason a game is bought is not a quick platinum, anyway :D

So here's the weird thing about Just Dance. I'm not sure if @Super-Fly Spider-Guy's kid has joined the Cult of Disney yet, but my daughter has (and my nostalgia for the 90's Disney animated movies doesn't help the situation). A month or two ago, I got a used copy of Just Dance Disney Party on Wii, to play on my Wii U. It has a bunch of classic Disney songs, with the newest ones being from the movie Tangled. However, being an early spin-off game in the series, the mechanics aren't great and it's also pretty tedious to play with forced Wiimote controls (you can't hit B to go back for example, you have to point to the Back button on-screen). Naturally a newer game in the series is going to be mechanically better, but the Disney songs are mostly gone (maybe licensing issues). With this new one, you can buy an annual subscription that includes 400+ songs, but it's still only like 4 Disney movie songs. I dunno, this seems like a lost opportunity here. 

What do you think of Pool Panic? I've played some more levels and I still think it's fun. Don't know if I'll get around to doing all 104, though.

I played 3 or 4 levels, and it's fun for what it is. I don't like the world map though - the levels don't stand out enough (I know you can hold down a button to make the nearby ones pop up), and I haven't figured out a way to see a list of levels like the DKC Returns, Tropical Freeze, and all the past dozen or so Mario games. That seems like an obvious feature to include these days. 

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

49 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I don't know if it beats it, but I bought a 400gb microsd card for 70 dollars for the switch during Thanksgiving thursday

Was that the Amazon deal for the 400GB card? That was an amazing deal and I should have held out, but I saw a "pre" Black Friday deal for a 256 card for $45. Still a good deal, but the 400GB deal was truly killer. At least we all got nice upgrades though. I transferred over my card data last night and it worked without issues. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Go back in time to 1994, and my parents bought our first post-Commodore 64 computer. It was a Gateway 2000 486 SX 33 with 4MB of RAM and Windows for Workgroups 3.11. And a 2X CD-ROM drive. We had a neighbor who came over and gave my brother and me some games that we didn't tell our parents about, and one of them was Wolfenstein 3D. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure those games were pirated. :awesome: In any case, I was playing Wolf 3D when I was 14, and it started a long love of FPS games. It wasn't until I went from a PC-only gamer to a console-only gamer that I finally lost interest in them, and i still played a few (most recently, Wolfenstein New Order on PS4). But it's been a gradual decline and now the genre is pretty dead to me. 

So here's the weird thing about Just Dance. I'm not sure if @Super-Fly Spider-Guy's kid has joined the Cult of Disney yet, but my daughter has (and my nostalgia for the 90's Disney animated movies doesn't help the situation). A month or two ago, I got a used copy of Just Dance Disney Party on Wii, to play on my Wii U. It has a bunch of classic Disney songs, with the newest ones being from the movie Tangled. However, being an early spin-off game in the series, the mechanics aren't great and it's also pretty tedious to play with forced Wiimote controls (you can't hit B to go back for example, you have to point to the Back button on-screen). Naturally a newer game in the series is going to be mechanically better, but the Disney songs are mostly gone (maybe licensing issues). With this new one, you can buy an annual subscription that includes 400+ songs, but it's still only like 4 Disney movie songs. I dunno, this seems like a lost opportunity here. 

I played 3 or 4 levels, and it's fun for what it is. I don't like the world map though - the levels don't stand out enough (I know you can hold down a button to make the nearby ones pop up), and I haven't figured out a way to see a list of levels like the DKC Returns, Tropical Freeze, and all the past dozen or so Mario games. That seems like an obvious feature to include these days. 

Was that the Amazon deal for the 400GB card? That was an amazing deal and I should have held out, but I saw a "pre" Black Friday deal for a 256 card for $45. Still a good deal, but the 400GB deal was truly killer. At least we all got nice upgrades though. I transferred over my card data last night and it worked without issues. 

Yeah, it was an Amazon deal on thursday

@MosesRockefeller on Disney, I never saw Wreck It Ralph but I recently saw the trailer for the sequel, the Disney Princess bit, and I loved that.

I still like Disney, me and the missus actually went to Disneyland Paris a few years ago in the week of my birthday. Still have the Buzz Lightyear sweater vest. And the Tower Of Terror certainly is the best freefall ride I've ever been on.

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy @SnowxSakura @MosesRockefeller on microSD cards, the 400GB one rules and I've got a SanDisk one.

@MosesRockefeller I see you've started a bit on The Messenger. Enjoy! I still listen to its soundtrack, even at work. I actually might start a second playthrough soon.

7 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

@MosesRockefeller on Disney, I never saw Wreck It Ralph but I recently saw the trailer for the sequel, the Disney Princess bit, and I loved that.

I still like Disney, me and the missus actually went to Disneyland Paris a few years ago in the week of my birthday. Still have the Buzz Lightyear sweater vest. And the Tower Of Terror certainly is the best freefall ride I've ever been on.

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy @SnowxSakura @MosesRockefeller on microSD cards, the 400GB one rules and I've got a SanDisk one.

@MosesRockefeller I see you've started a bit on The Messenger. Enjoy! I still listen to its soundtrack, even at work. I actually might start a second playthrough soon

I haven't seen Wreck It Ralph either but I've seen some trailers. The Disney Princess thing in the sequel was a clever idea. I'm looking forward to watching it with my daughter eventually. 

There are several Disney movies I haven't seen, but I've seen most of them. And even their below-average movies are enjoyable. Their best ones are genuine classics. 

We'll probably go to Disneyland when our youngest is 5. I've heard from multiple sources that any younger than that and the trip is a waste for them. I'm afraid of rollercoasters (I've only ever done the "Tier 0" ones and even those terrify me), and I'm not into most other rides either, so most of my enjoyment will be from the rest of the family having fun. 

I got a little past the first boss in The Messenger. Pretty fun so far. I like the humor too, especially the two stories that the shop guy told me so far. 

6 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

We'll probably go to Disneyland when our youngest is 5. I've heard from multiple sources that any younger than that and the trip is a waste for them. I'm afraid of rollercoasters (I've only ever done the "Tier 0" ones and even those terrify me), and I'm not into most other rides either, so most of my enjoyment will be from the rest of the family having fun. 

The slow rides are great too though. Hearing Peter Pan's music, seeing the puppets move...

6 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I got a little past the first boss in The Messenger. Pretty fun so far. I like the humor too, especially the two stories that the shop guy told me so far. 

Yeah, always talk to the Shopkeeper every time about everything. That guy's pure brilliance.

Oh, also: please don't touch the cabinet.

... And really don't touch it twenty times in a row.

56 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

The slow rides are great too though. Hearing Peter Pan's music, seeing the puppets move...

I had forgotten they have those too. My frame of reference is regular amusement parks, but of course Disney is several steps above. 

I have never been to a Disney resort, since my parents couldn't afford it when I was young. My wife and I can afford it now but we're waiting for the kids to get a bit older, like I said. 

6 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I had forgotten they have those too. My frame of reference is regular amusement parks, but of course Disney is several steps above. 

I have never been to a Disney resort, since my parents couldn't afford it when I was young. My wife and I can afford it now but we're waiting for the kids to get a bit older, like I said. 

It likely depends a lot on distance. I'm guessing you lived in a state far away from a Disney park?

My parents went with me and my little brother once (indeed, when my brother was five or six), but from where we lived it was about a four hour drive.

Got to check the promotion sales though (and the cheaper hotels). I think my parents did so (and I knew we were in hotel Cheyenne, one of the two cheapest Disney hotels), and I know my wife and I did so. We had a sale which meant we could go five days, four nights for the price of three days, two nights (and we also went to hotel Cheyenne).

Edited by Agent 47

It likely depends a lot on distance. I'm guessing you lived in a state far away from a Disney park?

My parents went with me and my little brother once (indeed, when my brother was five or six), but from where we lived it was about a four hour drive.

Got to check the promotion sales though (and the cheaper hotels). I think my parents did so (and I knew we were in hotel Cheyenne, one of the two cheapest Disney hotels), and I know my wife and I did so. We had a sale which meant we could go five days, four nights for the price of three days, two nights (and we also went to hotel Cheyenne).

Yeah, we were always at least 8 hours from a park, but the price was the biggest factor. My parents couldn't even afford regular amusement parks, much less Disney ones. 

Fortunately, my wife and I make enough that we can save some money for things like this. Now the biggest barrier is setting aside time for vacations - we probably haven't taken one in 3 years. 

On 18/11/2018 at 11:05 PM, Agent 47 said:

... Let's go can't be played docked? Huh. Goes to show how little I use docked mode these days, I didn't even know that.

It can and I play both docked and handheld. I meant it as in this is the first time we can play a Pokémon main series RPG on TV just like this is the first time we don't have random encounters in a main series RPG. Some people are certain new features (like non-random encounters) introduced in Pokémon: Let's Go won't make it to the next main series game. So if they drop the new features, I guess we won't see TV play possibility either. Or maybe they are so certain because their uncle works at Game Freak. 

It's also good to remember people probably thought gyms would never be removed from a Pokémon game, yet in 7th gen there were no gyms. The series introduces new features and changes existing ones constantly.

Anyways, I now have 6 gym badges and I'm having a blast playing Pokémon: Let's Go Afrochu!

tumblr_pir7di33CU1tyw21qo1_1280.jpg

Didn't realize Nintendo had a sale going on, since that only happens once a year ;). I finally got the Zelda dlc for 14.99€ plus a little discount due to the coin system. Now I just have to wait for Fast RMX. This was on sale last year when I got the switch but stupid me thought, that I just get it the next time when it's on sale. Not knowing that Nintendo does not work like Steam or the PSN.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 6:29 PM, Agent 47 said:

Yeah, always talk to the Shopkeeper every time about everything. That guy's pure brilliance.

Oh, also: please don't touch the cabinet.

... And really don't touch it twenty times in a row.

That cabinet event was pretty funny. I have gotten further too... I think I'm on the 4th stage now? In the previous stage, I beat the rock golem boss thingy. I'm enjoying the game, but I am looking forward to the introduction of the 16-bit graphics style (although I think the game switches back and forth after that?). I really don't like the retro 8-bit graphics fad. Even on the Switch's small screen, 8-bit graphics don't look great. I hope this retro graphics fad dies out soon - but something tells me it won't. Regarding The Messenger's graphics, I understand that the developers were aiming for a Ninja Gaiden homage, but I think that could have been done without the retro graphics. For me, the "hand painted" look of something like Rayman Legends or Hollow Knight wins over retro graphics every time, even 16-bit retro graphics (they're better than 8-bit graphics, but they're still retro).

5 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Anyways, I now have 6 gym badges and I'm having a blast playing Pokémon: Let's Go Afrochu!

Awww, he's so cute!

4 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Didn't realize Nintendo had a sale going on, since that only happens once a year ;). I finally got the Zelda dlc for 14.99€ plus a little discount due to the coin system. Now I just have to wait for Fast RMX. This was on sale last year when I got the switch but stupid me thought, that I just get it the next time when it's on sale. Not knowing that Nintendo does not work like Steam or the PSN.

Well, the BIG sales that include multiple first-party and third-party AAA games like Doom, only happen about once a year. But the eShop has sales every single week; it's just that the discounts are mostly on indie games.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Well, the BIG sales that include multiple first-party and third-party AAA games like Doom, only happen about once a year. But the eShop has sales every single week; it's just that the discounts are mostly on indie games.

Exactly. Sony has a discount on their games multiple times throughout the year including indie titles. Why should I ever play Wolfenstein, Dead Cells or Celeste on the Switch, when I can get them in the PSN? Games like these are never (exaggeration) on sale in the Nintendo shop. Or the mentioned Fast RMX, which is not a huge title.And personally I don't care about the tiny indie titles.

I really dislike Nintendo's policy. It actually holds me back of playing way more games on the system. And since we are talking about prices - Nintendo games are way too expensive for such a long time! Mario Odyssey, BotW and much more still cost over 60 bucks and didn't drop a bit since their release. Retail and digital. This is insane! No other company does that. Just look at Spiderman, God of War or Detroit which all came out in 2018 and compare that to Zelda or other first party titles on Amazon. Now is the first time these games are actually a little cheaper, but only in digital form.

I would play so much more on the switch if Nintendo had good prices. Such a shame.

9 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Exactly. Sony has a discount on their games multiple times throughout the year including indie titles. Why should I ever play Wolfenstein, Dead Cells or Celeste on the Switch, when I can get them in the PSN? Games like these are never (exaggeration) on sale in the Nintendo shop. Or the mentioned Fast RMX, which is not a huge title.And personally I don't care about the tiny indie titles.

I really dislike Nintendo's policy. It actually holds me back of playing way more games on the system. And since we are talking about prices - Nintendo games are way too expensive for such a long time! Mario Odyssey, BotW and much more still cost over 60 bucks and didn't drop a bit since their release. Retail and digital. This is insane! No other company does that. Just look at Spiderman, God of War or Detroit which all came out in 2018 and compare that to Zelda or other first party titles on Amazon. Now is the first time these games are actually a little cheaper, but only in digital form.

I would play so much more on the switch if Nintendo had good prices. Such a shame.

On the other hand, Nintendo games retain their value. After you're done with the game, you can trade it in to a game store and in some cases get back 70% of its original price. 

I don't buy many games on Sony's platforms when they are new because I don't want to spend 60 € on a game that's going to be 30% off in 3 weeks or 60% off after a few months (and also because they seem to be quite buggy on release). The games typically have a poor resale value too.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Well, look at it this way. The main appeal of the Switch isn't great prices - it's portability. If you don't care about playing games on the go, the only reason to own a Switch for a gamer who primarily plays on PS4, is the exclusive games. And if that is your category, why complain about the prices? Just play the handful of exclusives and move on. That's how I treat my Xbox One.

If you're going to criticize Nintendo for bad prices, you can make the same argument about PSN and Steam. Steam almost always has better prices than PSN, and the sales are more frequent and better. So why play on PS4? Nobody is playing on PS4 because it has the best game deals, because it doesn't.

Another way of looking at this: you mention that no other company keeps the prices high over time. In gaming, that may be true, but it's not true outside of gaming. Look at Apple. They charge more for their hardware. Nintendo is pretty similar in their approach (except the console itself is cheaper). Nintendo has found its niche, which is selling games that they consider a premium experience. And with how well the Switch is selling, why would they be motivated to cut their game prices?

On the other hand, some people value the portability of the Switch more than anything else. That is definitely true of me. I don't care if Dead Cells is regularly 50% off on PSN (and I haven't seen it go on sale that much, actually) - I would much rather play it on Switch. And it finally went on sale during the Black Friday sale that's still going on, so I grabbed it. It was only down to $20 from 25, but that was enough of a discount for me. But maybe I'm crazy - if you gave me the choice between RDR2 on PS4 and a theoretical RDR2 for Switch with worse graphics, I would pick the Switch version hands-down. The portable nature of the Switch and being able to switch over to TV play on the fly, is a huge feature for me that I love. I wish Sony would make a Vita 2 and/or PS5 that did something similar, but I don't think they will.

Got my first shiny pokemon yesterday in Let's Go. 

l93ABU0.jpg

Also captured Mewtwo with a regular pokeball. I think its the first time I have done that in any pokemon game where you are able to get Mewtwo. 

If this game had a trophy list would be a really long platinum. Post game you can fight 153 pokemon masters that have one of the pokemon in level 75 and you can only fight with that same pokemon. Metapod vs Metapod its gonna be fun ?

Edited by Aexuz
  • Like 1

That cabinet event was pretty funny. I have gotten further too... I think I'm on the 4th stage now? In the previous stage, I beat the rock golem boss thingy. I'm enjoying the game, but I am looking forward to the introduction of the 16-bit graphics style (although I think the game switches back and forth after that?). I really don't like the retro 8-bit graphics fad. Even on the Switch's small screen, 8-bit graphics don't look great. I hope this retro graphics fad dies out soon - but something tells me it won't. Regarding The Messenger's graphics, I understand that the developers were aiming for a Ninja Gaiden homage, but I think that could have been done without the retro graphics. For me, the "hand painted" look of something like Rayman Legends or Hollow Knight wins over retro graphics every time, even 16-bit retro graphics (they're better than 8-bit graphics, but they're still retro).

I very much prefer the 16-bit bits. Once you switch back and forth, it's still mostly 16-bit. And at least The Messenger had a clear reason for choosing this graphics style.

You know I'm the first to slam 8-bit, but The Messenger is with Shovel Knight in my opinion - they make it work, they make it actually look good.

Correction: mostly non first party games. Ubisoft's Mario + Rabbids, South Park and Rayman Legends have gone on a fair few sales, for instance, Skyrim and DOOM have been on sale two or three times now, FIFA is constantly on a sale... It's just Nintendo's own titles that rarely see a sale. And as @Eyjabria says, the bonus is that Nintendo games usually can be sold on for a good price.

4 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Exactly. Sony has a discount on their games multiple times throughout the year including indie titles. Why should I ever play Wolfenstein, Dead Cells or Celeste on the Switch, when I can get them in the PSN?

Portability. That's really the one thing the Switch can hold over Sony/Microsoft when it comes to non-exclusives.

Games like these are never (exaggeration) on sale in the Nintendo shop. Or the mentioned Fast RMX, which is not a huge title.

Fast RMX is worth its base price taice over. There, I said it.

Andpersonally I don't care about the tiny indie titles.

... Seriously? Who still thinks this day and age a game isn't worth their time just because there's no huge publisher behind it?

Believe it or not, but "indie" games are as varied as AAA games. Perhaps MORE varied as they rely less on "what formula gets the most dough" and more on passion projects.

Play some The Messenger, Golf Story, Celeste, Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight, Fast RMX, World Of Goo, SOMA, Statik, Accounting+, Hellblade, Octodad, Wandersong, Runner3, Elite Dangerous, The Witcher, Agatha Knife, Banner Saga...

We'll talk afterwards.

14 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

I very much prefer the 16-bit bits. Once you switch back and forth, it's still mostly 16-bit. And at least The Messenger had a clear reason for choosing this graphics style.

You know I'm the first to slam 8-bit, but The Messenger is with Shovel Knight in my opinion - they make it work, they make it actually look good.

I disagree that those games make 8-bit look good. 8-bit is 8-bit and ugly is ugly. Does the style work in those games? Sure, but they don't look good. I'd still rather play them both with a different art style. I really, really want the retro graphics fad to die. Again, to compare to Rayman Origins/Legends, those were games that were homages/sequels to the earlier games in the series, while bringing the graphics into the current era with a simple yet effective style. You can do the same thing with Ninja Gaiden without resorting to 8-bit graphics.

14 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Correction: mostly non first party games. Ubisoft's Mario + Rabbids, South Park and Rayman Legends have gone on a fair few sales, for instance, Skyrim and DOOM have been on sale two or three times now, FIFA is constantly on a sale... It's just Nintendo's own titles that rarely see a sale. And as @Eyjabria says, the bonus is that Nintendo games usually can be sold on for a good price.

This might be another discrepancy between Europe and the USA. Here in the states, those Ubisoft/Bethesda/EA games have never gotten deep discounts, and certainly never half off like they are now. By contrast, each week there have been multiple indie games at 50%+ off. Technically those third-party AAA games have gone on sale in the past, but not the major cuts @Gommes_ was looking for that are comparable to PSN sales. Those are reserved for rare sales like this current one.