Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

I've just started playing BOTW on thursday and boy I regret not getting it Day 1. Matter of fact I regret not getting a switch on launch either. I was such a SONY Boy at the time and thought Playstation was SUPERIOR. I was wrong. The switch has some really amazing games on it. And it's nice to play switch games and not have to worry about trophies lol. It's a fresh of BREATH air I NEEDED! I had too sorry. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TheSleepyBeauty said:

I've just started playing BOTW on thursday and boy I regret not getting it Day 1. Matter of fact I regret not getting a switch on launch either. I was such a SONY Boy at the time and thought Playstation was SUPERIOR. I was wrong. The switch has some really amazing games on it. And it's nice to play switch games and not have to worry about trophies lol. It's a fresh of BREATH air I NEEDED! I had too sorry. 

Enjoy it! It's a game I wish I could experience again for the first time.

Also be prepared to have it consume a huge chunk of your time. My playthrough was 95 hours, and I wasn't even close to finding all the shrines, hearts, or korok seeds.

6 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Enjoy it! It's a game I wish I could experience again for the first time.

Also be prepared to have it consume a huge chunk of your time. My playthrough was 95 hours, and I wasn't even close to finding all the shrines, hearts, or korok seeds.

Oh god it's actually that long huh. Pray I finish the game before calamity comes out. 

4 minutes ago, TheSleepyBeauty said:

Oh god it's actually that long huh. Pray I finish the game before calamity comes out. 

It all depends on how much you want to explore before attempting the final boss. You could probably be powerful enough to take on the final boss after 50 hours or so.

For me it was just so much fun to explore the world that I didn't want it to end that quickly, so I played for much longer. At the very least I'd recommend taking the time to find all the memories before finishing the game.

16 minutes ago, TheSleepyBeauty said:

I'd say you can beat it in 40-50 hours if you focus on the main quests and do shrines along the way. I went out of my way to explore and open the whole map, but that's not necessary. I also got some cool armor sets too from it that I used against ganon too. My final time was like 70+ hours and I don't regret a single hour I put into it.

You can make it a 40 hour journey or a 140 hour journey. All depends on how much you are willing to invest.

I want to play BOTW but it's pretty pricy still, I can get 15% with my work discount but I still think it's too much for a 3 year old game, maybe I'll give in and just buy it next pay day. 

I bought the Switch pro controller today, I've read on various web sites that the pro controller is batter then the Xbox and DS4 controllers, I've given it a try this evening and they may be right, I love using this thing :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'd say you can beat it in 40-50 hours if you focus on the main quests and do shrines along the way. I went out of my way to explore and open the whole map, but that's not necessary. I also got some cool armor sets too from it that I used against ganon too. My final time was like 70+ hours and I don't regret a single hour I put into it.

You can make it a 40 hour journey or a 140 hour journey. All depends on how much you are willing to invest.

I'm the type that goes and wanders off from the main quest to do side-quests so I'll probably clock in at around 100+ atleast. It's such a good game. I can't put it down. 

54 minutes ago, Venocide said:

I want to play BOTW but it's pretty pricy still, I can get 15% with my work discount but I still think it's too much for a 3 year old game, maybe I'll give in and just buy it next pay day. 

I bought the Switch pro controller today, I've read on various web sites that the pro controller is batter then the Xbox and DS4 controllers, I've given it a try this evening and they may be right, I love using this thing :D 

I got it for 40 bucks on Amazon Prime Day last week and to me that's surprisingly cheap for a Nintendo exclusive game. I tend to not buy older games at full price by Nintendo. So just look out for those deals. They happen very rarely and they never seem to go no more than under 40 bucks. The pro controller is probably you best bet with this type of game. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Venocide said:

At this point since it's a couple of months from Christmas, may as well wait and see if it goes on sale either on the eShop or at a retail location. Don't know about the UK, but in the US I'll occasionally see it on sale for about one-third off. Nintendo is certainly stingier with their sale frequency and prices.

The Pro controller overall is great (the d-pad kind of stinks, though). The battery life is very impressive, especially compared to the DualShock 4.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

At this point since it's a couple of months from Christmas, may as well wait and see if it goes on sale either on the eShop or at a retail location. Don't know about the UK, but in the US I'll occasionally see it on sale for about one-third off. Nintendo is certainly stingier with their sale frequency and prices.

The Pro controller overall is great (the d-pad kind of stinks, though). The battery life is very impressive, especially compared to the DualShock 4.

the d-pad is 100% better on the pro controller than the dualshock 4

16 hours ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

the d-pad is 100% better on the pro controller than the dualshock 4

I disagree with you on this one. The general consensus on the pro controller's d-pad is that it's one of the worst ones Nintendo has produced in a long time. Unfortunate and kind of surprising, considering Nintendo invented the d-pad. The biggest problem is that the d-pad's design and sensitivity will often register an up or down input when you're trying to push left or right. Anyone who has tried playing Tetris 99 with the pro controller can attest to this - lots of unwanted hard drops! Spawn Wave put out a do-it-youself video on how to improve the pro controller's d-pad a few years ago.

The DualShock 4's d-pad may not be the best, but at least it can register up, down, left, and right properly.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
Typo

13 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

I disagree with you on this one. The general consensus on the pro controller's d-pad is that it's one of the worst ones Nintendo has produced in a long time. Unfortunate and kind of surprising, considering Nintendo invented the d-pad. The biggest problem is that the d-pad's design and sensitivity will often register an up or down input when you're trying to push left or right. Anyone who has tried playing Tetris 99 with the pro controller can attest to this - lots of unwanted hard drops! Spawn Wave put out a do-it-youself video on how to improve the pro controller's d-pad a few years ago.

The DualShock 4's d-pad may not be the best, but as least it can register up, down, left, and right properly.

disagreed

Been taking  a break from PS4 and I finally finished Kirby: Star Allies. Great game with colorful characters! I have finished Kirby Triple Deluxe on the Nintendo 3DS back in 2014. I would like to finish more Kirby Games like Super Star on my SNES classic or Kirbys Adventure 3D on my NN3DS XL. In the meantime I'll try to finish Luigis Mansion 3 before Halloween!
Kirby Star Allies: Amazon.ca: Computer and Video Games

• Like 2

On 19/10/2020 at 0:32 AM, ZitMeatloaf said:

The DualShock 4's d-pad may not be the best, but at least it can register up, down, left, and right properly.

I feel you, I spent my first 70h of Tetris 99 with a pro controller and always felt like there was something wrong, then I switched to joycons and the improvement was huge, not even close.

Also, I would never use the pro controller dpad for a fighting game, whereas the ps4  one is used by a lot of pro players.

But yeah, besides the dpad issues, the pro controller is just amazing.

I actually got an adapter for my og GameCube controllers and still use the pro controller over the gc ones for Smash, it just feels incredibly good.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2020 at 1:32 AM, ZitMeatloaf said:

Unfortunately I've noticed this issue on Switch Pro Controller's D-pad as well. The first time I noticed it registering up/down movement when pressing left or right was with Puyo Puyo Tetris, the second time it was very prominent when playing Cadence of Hyrule. I switched to Joy-Cons and everything worked fine with the D-pad. 
Aside from the bad D-pad the ergonomy is very good, the controller feels well-built, motion controls work precisely and the 30-40 hour battery life makes me wonder why someone would pay 60 € for a DualShock 4 that runs out of juice in about 4-5 hours.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Titan said:

Been taking  a break from PS4 and I finally finished Kirby: Star Allies. Great game with colorful characters! I have finished Kirby Triple Deluxe on the Nintendo 3DS back in 2014. I would like to finish more Kirby Games like Super Star on my SNES classic or Kirbys Adventure 3D on my NN3DS XL. In the meantime I'll try to finish Luigis Mansion 3 before Halloween!
Kirby Star Allies: Amazon.ca: Computer and Video Games

I liked Kirby: Star Allies a lot. Especially the GameBoy homage and final boss fight were cool and the game was fun to play in co-op. Star Allies is actually the first Kirby game I've played.
There's also Kirby: Planet Robobot for 3DS and my husband says it's a very good game (I haven't started playing it myself yet). Kirby in a mech suit, how cool is that! 

960x540_egdp_V02.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I liked Kirby: Star Allies a lot. Especially the GameBoy homage and final boss fight were cool and the game was fun to play in co-op. Star Allies is actually the first Kirby game I've played.
There's also Kirby: Planet Robobot for 3DS and my husband says it's a very good game (I haven't started playing it myself yet). Kirby in a mech suit, how cool is that! 

960x540_egdp_V02.jpg

I played Star Allies sometimes with my nephew. If you've got a 3DS I recommend Kirbys Triple Deluxe. I also finished Kirbys Epic Yarn on the wii but that was a decade ago and I'm not sure if its something Kirby fans will enjoy because of how different it is. As for planet robot, I never played it so tell me how it is!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Titan said:

I played Star Allies sometimes with my nephew. If you've got a 3DS I recommend Kirbys Triple Deluxe. I also finished Kirbys Epic Yarn on the wii but that was a decade ago and I'm not sure if its something Kirby fans will enjoy because of how different it is. As for planet robot, I never played it so tell me how it is!

"If you've got a 3DS"... Dude, I have four of them. :D 
We have Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn for 3DS (haven't started that one yet either). 
Planet Robobot has a pretty good Metascore, critic score is 81, user score 85 so about the same as Kirby: Triple Deluxe has gotten. According to a user review Planet Robobot is very similar to Triple Deluxe but adds great new ideas to the mix. I guess a trailer should give an idea about what to expect. 

I checked out Triple Deluxe and it looks fun. I was delighted to find out it's part of Nintendo Selects line and costs only 19,99 €. Seems like I've missed the game completely somehow. Should try to see if I can find a physical copy somewhere.

Edited by Eyjabria
  • Like 1

I've been playing a lot of Digimon Cyber Sleuth on the switch and absolutely love it! People think that I'm nuts because I buy games like this on the switch instead of the PS4, but it's nice because I don't have to force myself to play a game a specific way. It's also easier for me to call it quits or play even more based on enjoyment instead of the plat. 

Also, the pokemon DLC comes tonight, and I have a good idea of a new team for VGC/doubles. I'm thinking of using:

Raichu - focus sash lightning rod user with fake out and can proc the WP on Tapu Lele with brutal swing. I think electric pokemon will be popular early on and this will straight up shut it down.

Gothitelle - shadow tag pokemon in to spam expanding force with Lele.

Tapu lele - weakness policy sweeper who's extra bulky and can psy-spam

Entei - Physical sweeper who can't be burned or intimidated with inner focus

Suicune - bulky tailwind user with decent SP attk. If I give it inner focus, it can't be faked out.

Kartana/TBD - haven't decided yet on the last spot. Kartana would fit well against fairies and could hit other pokemon with Sacred sword and grassy glide to help out against Tyranitar or Togekiss, but I may need to give it the sash instead of Raichu. Still not 100% sure.

I really like using a grass/water/fire core on my teams so the last spot will likely be a grass pokemon. Though, I think something like Stakataka fits well here as a potential trick room option, but for me, it's always easier to deny trick room than set it up, especially if I don't have a follow me user.

However, with new Pokemon joining in and shaking up the meta, it's always super hard to predict what will be good until after a few weeks of the format. I'll definitely probably build a few different variations of this team and see if I can't get to Master ball rank again.

• Like 2

Reminder: Crown Tundra DLC releases on Pokemon Sword/Shield either tomorrow night-ish or Friday depending on your region/timezone.

I plan on using this as a 'mini-break' of sorts between Tales of Berseria and Tales of Zestiria so I'm not worn out by to many Tales of games in a row.

Edited by SelectiveGamer
  • Like 1

Looks like yet another limited release on Nintendo Switch this time being Fire Emblem- I really hope this doesn't start becoming a trend.
Unless Nintendo Plans on quitting on April 1st 2021 or something.
And Since Crown Tundra is out I'll probably start Pokemon Sword here sometime since I can use my full Team being Ninetales, Espeon, Lucario, Primarina, Absol and Lycanroc.
Bit disappointed that Houndoom isn't in it yet.
 So I might use Yveltal at some point probably at the league and pretend I destroyed the Galar region.

Has anyone tried playing on a 4K screen? 
I recently purchased a 4K monitor for ps5 and I’m not sure how the Switch games would look there on lower resolutions.

I’ve been playing on a standard 1080p TV but I don’t think I have enough space to keep it when my 4K monitor gets delivered, so I’m worried if it’s not a good idea to play Switch docked on 4K.

8 hours ago, Nightstream88 said:

Looks like yet another limited release on Nintendo Switch this time being Fire Emblem- I really hope this doesn't start becoming a trend.
Unless Nintendo Plans on quitting on April 1st 2021 or something.
And Since Crown Tundra is out I'll probably start Pokemon Sword here sometime since I can use my full Team being Ninetales, Espeon, Lucario, Primarina, Absol and Lycanroc.
Bit disappointed that Houndoom isn't in it yet.
 So I might use Yveltal at some point probably at the league and pretend I destroyed the Galar region.

That collector's edition looks amazing. Don't care about the game (I do love the 3DS Fire Emblem games) but I'd be willing to spend on those physical goodies. Especially the hardcover artbook looks like it could find a good home in my bookshelf. Sadly no news about European release yet. :|

7 hours ago, iFraaN97 said:

Has anyone tried playing on a 4K screen? 
I recently purchased a 4K monitor for ps5 and I’m not sure how the Switch games would look there on lower resolutions.

I’ve been playing on a standard 1080p TV but I don’t think I have enough space to keep it when my 4K monitor gets delivered, so I’m worried if it’s not a good idea to play Switch docked on 4K.

My television is 4K and I never had an issue with it.  I don't think it would try to upscale it for a 4K TV or monitor or anything, some algorithms might be in place to clean the picture up a little in general but if the game is 720P or 1080P that's what the screen will display at.  I think it'd be ok but if you already have both, no harm in trying both and see how you feel about it.

• Like 2