Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

So I have a thing about wanting to own any notable console exclusives, as long as they're at least somewhat interesting to me.  If I wanted to try this Xenoblade Chronicles series, is the new definitive edition the best place to start?

Edited by Dreakon13

There's a big sale in the European eShop with games up to 90% off. There are titles like Golf Story, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Ace Attorney Trilogy, Moonlighter, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Transistor at 50% or bigger discounts. https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Search/Search-299117.html?f=147394-5-10-72-6955

I had some My Nintendo points expiring soon so I used them to get Cat Quest for free (was 75% off). Had been eyeing the game for a long time but always thought to myself "too many games". Now I had to spend my points on something and thought this could be a nice shortish game to play alongside other bigger games.

Nintendo released a free surprise game on Switch eShop: Jump Rope Challengehttps://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Jump-Rope-Challenge-1797663.html

It's a cute game where you need to, well, kind of like jump rope using the Joy-Cons. Every day you clear the challenge, you are rewarded with a new image and a line chart forms to show your progress. I had some trouble getting the Joy-Cons to recognize my movement so I had to jump a little extra, while for my husband the game recognized each jump nearly flawlessly. 

It seems like it could be a practice project of an employee and they decided to put it up for download. EDIT: Oh, the Nintendo UK site actually states: "Jump Rope Challenge was created by a small group of Nintendo developers at home, to encourage exercise breaks at home."

Even though I'm physically somewhat active "skipping rope" 200+ times on two days got my calves a bit sore.

On another note: Ruiner is available on Switch now. Currently downloading it. According to reviewers it's a great port and has only slight and occasional performance issues in docked mode.

Edited by Eyjabria

So I finished the Pokemon Isle of Armor DLC last night and thought I'd share my initial thoughts on it with everyone and try to make this somewhat organized for a quick reference for anyone.

How long is the DLC Story?

The DLC would probably take a casual gamer 4-5 hours to beat the story, but if you rush through it, it can be done in 2. HOWEVER, there is plenty of Pokemon to catch and plenty to do post-story.

How many new Pokemon are available?

200+ are in the dex, but not all are "new." I can't give an exact number unfortunately.

Are there any new Pokemon/Galarian forms?

Slowpoke, Slowbro, Kafubu, and it's evolution so not really...

How big is the Wild Area in the DLC?

Big. Much larger than I anticipated.

What's the Post-game like?

So the post game is actually pretty interesting. There are Diglett to collect and every 10 give you a new Alolan Pokemon. 165 total so lots to find.

You can also battle the dojo master and rival once a day for lots of money.

On top of that, there's a new "restricted mode" where you have to do 3 vs 3 battles only using ONLY 1 type of Pokemon. You get 2 heals in 5 matches so you have to either be really bulky or hyper offensive. Regardless, I played this mode and it's a fun challenge and is by no means "easy." It should appeal to hardcore fans. You also get TONS of BP for winning.

How does scaling work for Pokemon/trainers?

Based off of the number of badges. Maxes out at 60. However, trainers will be stronger than what's available to catch so make sure you train well.

Anything else worth mentioning?

You are given the ability to turn any Pokemon with a gigantimax form to a gigantimax Pokemon. Therefore, if you are having issues catching any of them in the wild area, this is by far the best way to do it.

You also get to choose between a gigantimax Squirtle or gigantimax Bulbasaur. Given to you for free in the story.

You are given the ability to reset EVs easily and earn watts quickly so farming anything is much more convenient. Very helpful for competitive players. There's also a machine you can use to combine items to make TRs you need as well.

Lastly, each shop is given new clothes after beating your new rival once. Some cool stuff for sure!

The ultimate question: Is it worth $30? is of course, subjective. But you have to remember that this is part 1/2 so the real question is "Is it worth $15?" and I think you'll probably get 15 hours at least catching them all and doing the story, finding all Digletts, etc., and as someone who likes to play competitively, it's a no-brainer. Definitely worth it as quality of life improvements are apparent.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 3

The popularity and scarcity of the Switch and certain games is absolutely insane. I've been trying to purchase Ring Fit Adventure for about three months now, but I'm just not willing to pay $150-200 on Amazon or eBay from scalpers.

I was perusing Amazon for something completely unrelated yesterday and searched for Ring Fit on a whim. Amazingly it was in stock, so I bought it (out of stock again today, unless you want to pay at least $150 from a scalper). I'm looking forward to trying it out in a few days and getting a little more exercise, and I'm intrigued by the RPG/adventure aspects of the game, which are supposed to be quite good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

The popularity and scarcity of the Switch and certain games is absolutely insane. I've been trying to purchase Ring Fit Adventure for about three months now, but I'm just not willing to pay $150-200 on Amazon or eBay from scalpers.

I was perusing Amazon for something completely unrelated yesterday and searched for Ring Fit on a whim. Amazingly it was in stock, so I bought it (out of stock again today, unless you want to pay at least $150 from a scalper). I'm looking forward to trying it out in a few days and getting a little more exercise, and I'm intrigued by the RPG/adventure aspects of the game, which are supposed to be quite good.

Controllers are quite scarce as well. I've seen joy cons on Amazon for as much as $85-$90. Considering every time I get a pair, they get drifting issues 3 months later, it's not worth it.

I've seen other games actually go down in price. I've gotten a few for $50 rather than $60, but Ring Fit is so niche, I could understand why it spiked up. Glad you got your hands on it though!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Considering every time I get a pair, they get drifting issues 3 months later, it's not worth it.

Wow, that's fast. I've run into drifting issues too, but at least my joy cons lasted a couple of years.

I've actually performed two successful joy con surgeries to swap out drifting sticks (the joysticks are modular), but there are some teeny tiny screws and clasps to deal with.

13 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Wow, that's fast. I've run into drifting issues too, but at least my joy cons lasted a couple of years.

I've actually performed two successful joy con surgeries to swap out drifting sticks (the joysticks are modular), but there are some teeny tiny screws and clasps to deal with.

One was 3 months, another was 6 :( Sad part is the one that drifted after 3 months I literally turned on less than 10 times. Only used when my cousin came over a couple of times a month to play SMM2 or SSBU.

How hard was it? (For someone who has zero experience fixing small objects) Did you use a video and have they drifted since?

I put in help tickets to Nintendo to send it to them to fix, but never got an email back with instructions. I think it's due to it being overloaded after they just recently opened back up, but it's really annoying. Lol.

22 minutes ago, TheSleepyBeauty said:

Anyone else getting Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town for the switch in July?

I cant wait I pre-ordered a physical and digital ^_^ 

I pre-ordered this beauty yesterday! I can't wait to play this and I've even booked time of work to play it ? :)!

1 minute ago, TheSleepyBeauty said:

As much as I love Animal Crossing this is honestly was my most anticipated game of 2020. The nostalgia and childhood game <3 

It reminds me so much of Animal Parade which is my all time favourite Harvest Moon game, so this is a must buy for me! I spent so many hours on it and look forward to spending many more hours on this! 

• Like 1

I have been giving my Nintendo Switch more love recently only because there are so many games I am or wanting to play. Current games I have are

• Story of Seasons Doraemon - I'm happy that I own a physical copy as the US only got a digital release.
  • Hyrule Warriors DE -  Always wanted a musou game for the Zelda universe and this game is jam packed with content.
  • Animal Crossing NH - I think everyone has said what makes this game so great! I'm currently close to 400 hours on my island.
  • Snack World - Honestly I bought this game on a whim and after 5 hours I didn't enjoy it much. :/
  • Pokemon S&S - I have mixed feelings with these games as there are things I enjoy and some not. I shall save that rant for another time.
  • Rune Factory 4 Special - I LOVE this game on the 3DS and love it even more on the Switch!
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE - I'm happy that they brought it over to the Switch as I would have missed out on this amazing and colorful JRPG!
  • TLoZ BotW - Like my thoughts with Animal Crossing although I'm also far from finishing it.

I'm so looking forward to Pokemon Snap, Story of Seasons FoMT, Little Big Hero, Bravely Default 2, and so many more!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

How hard was it? (For someone who has zero experience fixing small objects) Did you use a video and have they drifted since?

Apologies for the long reply, but since this might help others with drift issues I figured it was worth the long post. Short answer: I followed a video guide and it wasn’t too difficult, but the small parts can be frustrating to deal with.

First off, If you really don't want to mess with opening up your joy con, you could always try some electrical contact cleaner spray first. I did try this first myself, but it only fixed the problem for about a month before it started happening again. I used this spray (which did not harm my joy con) and followed this video for cleaning the joystick using the spray.

If you do decide to perform surgery, you'll need replacement joysticks and appropriate tools for opening the joy cons. I purchased this set from Amazon for $16. It includes two replacement joysticks, some thumb caps, and all the tools you'll need to open it up. For me, the low cost of replacement sticks and associated tools made the attempt worth it; even if I failed miserably I'd only be out $16 for the attempt, potentially saving me $64 compared to the cost of buying a new set of controllers. I'd also recommend using a magnetic tray similar to this one to hold the tiny loose screws, because if they fall on the floor (especially carpet) there's a good chance they'll be gone forever (I wouldn't recommend setting the whole joy con in the tray, though). You can also use the magnets on the tray to temporarily magnetize the tips of the screwdrivers, which can make removing and replacing the tiny screws much easier.

I followed Spawn Wave's video guide to replace the sticks. Heed his warning about the screws - with such tiny grooves, they are VERY easy to strip if you feel the screwdriver slipping. This almost happened to me and I used one of the replacement screws that came with the set when I put the controller back together. I went slow, took my time and watched relevant sections of the video multiple times before proceeding to each step in the video. I'd estimate the whole process took me about 20-30 minutes for each joy con.

The joysticks I replaced have not drifted since (about a year-and-a-half later), but I imagine it's only a matter of time before the same problem manifests again. How quickly it happens depends on how much you play. But now that I have the tools, next time I'll only need to order replacement joysticks. Also, once you successfully remove the screws the first time, they should be easier to get out the next time.

For full disclosure, while I did have two successful surgeries, I also had one UNsuccessful attempt. I had a really difficult time removing the screws and ended up damaging the internal components. But since I would have needed to buy new joy cons anyway if I hadn't tried anything, I didn't mind making the attempt and failing for the low cost of the replacement joystick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Apologies for the long reply, but since this might help others with drift issues I figured it was worth the long post. Short answer: I followed a video guide and it wasn’t too difficult, but the small parts can be frustrating to deal with.

Do you (or anyone) know whether this drift issue is only related to the joycons of the regular Switch model, or is it also prevalent in the Switch Lite? I only recently bought a Switch Lite, and I’d like to know whether I should keep those helpful notes about fixing it in the back of my mind. 

I think it’s only for the regular Switch. I’m guessing with the removable joycon + all the other features, the internal tech would be different. Then again, the analogs themselves look the same between the Switch and Switch Lite, so I’m not sure. :) 

Edited by Mayellie

4 minutes ago, Mayellie said:

Do you (or anyone) know whether this drift issue is only related to the joycons of the regular Switch model, or is it also prevalent in the Switch Lite? I only recently bought a Switch Lite, and I’d like to know whether I should keep those helpful notes about fixing it in the back of my mind. 

I think it’s only for the regular Switch. I’m guessing with the removable joycon + all the other features, the internal tech would be different. Then again, the thumb sticks themselves look the same between the Switch and Switch Lite, so I’m not sure. :) 

It is, but it's not as prevalent from what I've heard, but I can't confirm that. That's just what I've read on other forums when I was looking into the issues myself as it seems that the controllers themselves have this issue much more often than the Switch lite (granted, it hasn't been around as long either). The nice thing is that Nintendo will fix it for free, but they're so backed up right now that it may be a while before it'd be fixed if you do run into the issue.

I think you can prevent it though by just cleaning it regularly since dirt, dust, and grime buildup is what causes it in the first place.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 3:13 PM, ZitMeatloaf said:

I also happened to catch Gamestop for the few brief minutes it was in stock and got one (was sold out in subsequent refreshes).  Should be here tomorrow... looks like my Switch will be a fixture in the living room for a little while.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mayellie said:

It seems to be most prevalent in joy cons, but any joystick can drift over time, or from manufacturing defects. I had a DS4 that started drifting only a few weeks after I purchased it (thankfully I was able to return it). From what I understand, the Switch Lite uses the same joysticks as the joy con (or at least it did at launch).

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I think you can prevent it though by just cleaning it regularly since dirt, dust, and grime buildup is what causes it in the first place.

Outside dirt and grime can certainly be contributing factors, but with the joy con sticks specifically it seems to be caused by a rubbing down of internal surfaces; a metal piece rubs against a graphite-like surface and wears it down, creating its own debris, which only gets worse once the initial layer is broken down. Spawn Wave takes apart one of the joysticks and explains this in another video.

• Like 2

Just recently purchased Senran Kagura Peach Ball for the Nintendo Switch. Been waiting for it to go on sale. I've been enjoying the story and I like the pinball gimmicks in it as well. Of course the fan service in it is over the top and great. The game runs well on both dock and handheld mode. The controls feel good and so does the point system's rules. I also bought some of the DLC costumes. I'm glad my favorite girls Yumi and Asuka are in it. I'm hoping there will be more Senran Kagura games on Switch and hopefully Senran Kagura 7 comes to Switch. Seeing how the franchise is done with Sony after they moved to Santa Monica and went woke. Hopefully this mean that Nintendo Switch will be a new home to all kinds of ecchi franchises.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered Mr. Driller Drill Land on the Switch eShop and downloaded the demo. Seems like a brilliant puzzle game. Never played Dig Dug which the gameplay is apparently based on so I would describe it "if Tetris and Boulder Dash had a baby". Played the demo for hours already and wishlisted the game. It's 19.99 € so very reasonably priced - might get it at full price.

• 2 weeks later...