Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Also been on a bit of a FE groove and finished Edelgard's route in Three Houses. I might play through the others, I think Claude is recommended more than BE on first run, but the monastery, social stuff etc. was more exhausting than fun so I decided to dig my Wii out of the closet and finally get to Radiant Dawn and finish the duology before Engage. Might consider one of the legacy games too when I got the time.

Also my Switch backlog is in a pretty good shape, I only have Astral Chain and Atelier Lulua unfinished. The latter I could probably do pretty fast since I'm maybe halfway through it (but it's just not up there with the other Arland games sadly)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mecharobot said:

Also been on a bit of a FE groove and finished Edelgard's route in Three Houses. I might play through the others, I think Claude is recommended more than BE on first run, but the monastery, social stuff etc. was more exhausting than fun so I decided to dig my Wii out of the closet and finally get to Radiant Dawn and finish the duology before Engage. Might consider one of the legacy games too when I got the time.

Also my Switch backlog is in a pretty good shape, I only have Astral Chain and Atelier Lulua unfinished. The latter I could probably do pretty fast since I'm maybe halfway through it (but it's just not up there with the other Arland games sadly)

If you have a 3DS I'd recommend Fire Emblem Echoes and Awakening. They don't shove social busywork into your face on the expense of gameplay like Three Houses does. I found the 3DS titles much more enjoyable and compelling games than Three Houses which I ditched after finishing one route and have no desire going back to. Echoes also features character art by Atelier Dusk trilogy artist Hidari.

I understood from reviews that FE: Engage doesn't have much of the social aspects so I might pick it up this week. Not sure when I'll have time to play it though as I'm in the middle of Atelier Shallie DX on Switch.

• Like 4

FYI, Fire Emblem Engage reviews are out so beware of spoilers. All that I've seen have been overwhelmingly positive with NO performance issues (thank you Intelligence Systems).

The REAL question now is... male protagonist or female protagonist? I usually do male for first playthrough and female second playthrough, but we'll see. I definitely want to start off on Hard mode and then do Maddening for my second playthrough. I always go classic or go home, haha. 

The best run I've ever had though was a luck-based build with my MC on FE Awakening Lunatic classic, so assuming we get some flexibility, I might try it again for my first pt to see how it works with the engage rings.

• Like 4

On 17/01/2023 at 9:05 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

FYI, Fire Emblem Engage reviews are out so beware of spoilers. All that I've seen have been overwhelmingly positive with NO performance issues (thank you Intelligence Systems).

The REAL question now is... male protagonist or female protagonist? I usually do male for first playthrough and female second playthrough, but we'll see. I definitely want to start off on Hard mode and then do Maddening for my second playthrough. I always go classic or go home, haha. 

The best run I've ever had though was a luck-based build with my MC on FE Awakening Lunatic classic, so assuming we get some flexibility, I might try it again for my first pt to see how it works with the engage rings.

I went Female. She's badass! Hopefully get an amiibo of her. Already first 3 chapters > three houses. Though Edelgard is a great character. I did not do classic. I will for a 2nd playthrough. 

But i really am enjoying it so far. The engage mechanic is..... *sigh* engaging lol. ?

20230120_123243.jpg

20230120_124859.jpg

also saw you online earlier, swear i saw something like 226hrs in Pokemon Sword... that competitive game consumed you huh? lol Talk about dedication! 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

I also saw you online earlier, swear i saw something like 226hrs in Pokemon Sword... that competitive game consumed you huh? lol Talk about dedication! 

I have 620-ish hours in Sword, 225-ish in Violet. Lol.

Pokemon is just such an easy game to pick up for 30 mins, play a couple of matches and then play something else.  I also have friends with the game and we party up, do raids, shiny hunt,  etc. so it's not all competitive. 

Series 2 starts in February too so I am trying to come up with a team with paradox Pokémon included, but I don't have any of the Pokémon Scarlet exclusives. ? Really would like a Roaring Moon and Flutter Mane at least... Right now, just making a team around iron hands and iron bundle. So if anyone has time to let me jump in their scarlet world to catch a few paradoxes or just trade them to me, I will make it worth your while and give you an extra shiny I got.

• Like 3

Got my copy of Fire Emblem Engage today!

Played the first 4 chapters and so far, I'm really liking it. It feels like every fire emblem game intelligence systems and Nintendo just puts more money into the music and sound because once again, the music absolutely slaps! In Chapter 4, literally just sat there and listened to the music as I decided on my next move.

Went Alear male and started on Hard Classic. Playing on Classic instead of Casual turns it from a game of Chess to a game of Life and having to live with the consequences of sacrificing a unit just adds so much more depth to the gameplay.

The graphics are also gorgeous. I've only played in handheld, and I'm absolutely blown away by the cutscenes, character models and although the environment is a huge improvement from 3 houses.

Slight spoilers ahead (mostly if you haven't watched ANY gameplay released the past few weeks)

So far, I have Marth, Sigurd, and Celica's rings. Marth's is super offensive and strong. Seems to turn your character into a dodge demon and allows you to do some powerful attacks. Sigurd's ring is kind of awkward to use though. It increases movement and allows you to attack multiple units in a line. This seems really situational and is kind of hard to execute. The movement speed isn't really very helpful as you normally want to move up as a team and not have someone jump too far ahead, especially in harder difficulties. I also did not get an opportunity to use the attack in a line because the enemies just never aligned. Seems very situational so it'll be interesting to see how useful it is in the long run, but so far, not a huge fan.

Celica's ring is fantastic. You pretty much get the option to teleport and blow up an enemy unit. Sounds similar to Sigurd's increased movement,  but there's a big difference between the two.

Teleporting through the environment and having the ability to jump to help a team mate when you split up your team is huge. It gives you a lot of flexibility to maneuver her to clean up enemies. She also has the ability to split magic damage between two units which again,  great for clearing out large amounts of enemies. 

I already have a feeling that this game is really going to give you a lot of flexibility with your rings and this new gimmick adds a new, fun depth to one of my favorite series. Really excited to see how it develops. 

NOW, I just need to get my Lucina ring! xD

• Like 4

I got Fire Emblem Engage on Friday too. The retailer gave us some merchandise to go with the game: a poster, a pin and a microfiber cleaning cloth. 

0246fc0a4ba2aacb845fca54ffc626e04ab39e96.jpg

Didn't start playing yet as I'd like to finish Atelier Shallie DX first at least. Not sure why I keep buying games that I know are going to my backlog... 
I put in a pre-order for Octopath Traveler II and Atelier Ryza 3 as I figured they might get pretty limited amount of copies, considering the Tactics Ogre remake seems to have sold out everywhere right after lauch and it was a pain in the ass to find Ryza 1 for Switch.

I keep seeing people calling the FE makers (who have also made many other wonderful Nintendo games, not only FE) "Intelligence Systems". It's *Intelligent Systems*, folks. They're a developer, not a spy agency. ?

Normally I don't care about grammar but I found that joke too hard to pass up.

Anyway, I have my copy downloaded on my Switch but I'm still playing Thracia 776 on my Steam Deck. I'm about halfway through it so it may be a while before I can get to Engage.

• Like 2

Gonna suck waiting until at least 2025 to get another mainline Metroid game. Although Dread itself took quite awhile to come out, and Prime 4 is taking forever. lol

Speaking of Metroid Prime 4, I wonder what the other game Retro is working on is? Assuming those rumors are true, at least.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

I’m so bad at splatoon 3 but it’s also so mixh fun . Nintendo really did make one of the most unique shooters in a whole and that’s wild 

If you want to get really good, I would highly recommend to use/stick with motion controls or at least give it a try. 95% of pros use motion controls, and it's way more accurate than aiming with the stick after practicing a lot.

If you use something like rollers or ink brushes, it doesn't make as big of a difference, but if you use shooters, it can be a game changer. It can also help a lot with some buckets too.

But don't get too discouraged though if you go on losing streaks, it happens to everyone and normally, if I'm on a bad slide,  I'll switch to something new and just try to have fun with it because some weapons just don't do well on certain maps and mixing it up can help your play or at least help you realize what you were doing right or wrong by adopting a new playstyle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

If you want to get really good, I would highly recommend to use/stick with motion controls or at least give it a try. 95% of pros use motion controls, and it's way more accurate than aiming with the stick after practicing a lot.

If you use something like rollers or ink brushes, it doesn't make as big of a difference, but if you use shooters, it can be a game changer. It can also help a lot with some buckets too.

But don't get too discouraged though if you go on losing streaks, it happens to everyone and normally, if I'm on a bad slide,  I'll switch to something new and just try to have fun with it because some weapons just don't do well on certain maps and mixing it up can help your play or at least help you realize what you were doing right or wrong by adopting a new playstyle.

Haha thanks for the tips. Don’t think I can do motion thogh but that’s ok . It’s super fun so losing a lot won’t stop me :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alantor32 said:

My stepmom ordered FE Engage today. Should I get the Expansion Pass once I get the game?

If you want some extra rings that make the game easier with an extra paralogue, go for it. That's all it will give you right now.

Personally, I'm waiting to see what else is added before committing to it. Wave 4 sounds like it will add a whole new story with several additional chapters so I'm going to wait to see if it's truly that expansive. Personally don't want to pay another $30 unless it's going to be half a game added (so 10-15 added chapters).

Totally up to you though. I don't need the extra rings and items and the 4th wave is the only thing that tickles my fancy right now.

2 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

Haha thanks for the tips. Don’t think I can do motion thogh but that’s ok . It’s super fun so losing a lot won’t stop me :P

Totally understandable.  My friend said that motion controls made him too puke-y, and just couldn't handle it haha. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zephrese said:

Gonna suck waiting until at least 2025 to get another mainline Metroid game. Although Dread itself took quite awhile to come out, and Prime 4 is taking forever. lol

Speaking of Metroid Prime 4, I wonder what the other game Retro is working on is? Assuming those rumors are true, at least.

i thought its rumored Dread sequel? as for MP4, I don't even think Nintendo knows what they're doing. All i know is with these games expected in a few years and Switch steadily showing its limitations and age, Nintendo need to get their head out of there ass and make something new.

8 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

Best day of my life ?

and on GP, but not on PS lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

i thought its rumored Dread sequel? as for MP4, I don't even think Nintendo knows what they're doing. All i know is with these games expected in a few years and Switch steadily showing its limitations and age, Nintendo need to get their head out of there ass and make something new.

The next mainline Metroid game would most likely be a sequel to Dread (MercurySteam develops the mainline games, not Retro Studios).

If you were asking whether or not it's merely a rumor, it obviously is at this point in time.

However, the person who started this rumor also leaked Dread before it was officially announced, which is why this rumor carries a bit more weight to it.

Metroid Prime 4 taking this long is primarily due to three main reasons:
#1: The original developers (who we still don't know the identity of officially, but there's tons of evidence that suggests it was a studio over at Bandai Namco) were not meeting Nintendo's expectations for the project, and so everything had to more or less be scrapped entirely when Retro Studios took over.

#2: Retro Studios was busy on other projects when development on Prime 4 first started (hence why Nintendo didn't just get them to work on the game from the very beginning), but they've also had a well documented history of poor management throughout the years (the source being dozens of anonymous former and current employees). This is why their last released game before taking over development on Prime 4 was Tropical Freeze, a game released a whole four to five years prior.

#3: Another "issue" with Retro, is that more or less everyone that worked on the original trilogy departed the studio after wrapping up the third game's development. All that remains now of the original team(s) is the executive producer, IIRC, and maybe a small handful of other people. So, with that in mind, I'm sure this is a huge undertaking for them that they don't want (nor can afford) to mess up.

IF the rumors going around recently are true, then Prime 4 might be closer than we expect since I doubt they'd start working on another game while still in the middle of something as big as that. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. lol

Nintendo also has had a bad habit of announcing games either way too early or too close to release, Prime 4 being among the former. Bayonetta 3 was announced at the same time during the exact same Nintendo Direct, and yet that still took as long as it did despite supposedly not restarting development at any point (although, that said, I think Devil May Cry 5's release greatly impacted Bayonetta 3 and the direction PlatinumGames took with it, but I digress).

TL;DR: Dread sequel most likely on the way, Prime 4 situation very complicated and not entirely Nintendo's fault.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

The next mainline Metroid game would most likely be a sequel to Dread (MercurySteam develops the mainline games, not Retro Studios).

If you were asking whether or not it's merely a rumor, it obviously is at this point in time.

However, the person who started this rumor also leaked Dread before it was officially announced, which is why the rumor carries a bit more weight to it.

Metroid Prime 4 taking this long is primarily due to three main reasons:
#1: The original developers (who we still don't know the identity of officially, but there's tons of evidence that suggests it was a studio over at Bandai Namco) were not meeting Nintendo's expectations for the project, and so everything had to more or less be scrapped entirely when Retro Studios took over.

#2: Retro Studios was busy on other projects when development on Prime 4 first started (hence why Nintendo didn't just get them to work on the game from the very beginning), but they've also had a well documented history of poor management throughout the years (the source being dozens of anonymous former and current employees). This is why their last released game before taking over development on Prime 4 was Tropical Freeze, a game released a whole four to five years prior.

#3: Another "issue" with Retro, is that more or less everyone that worked on the original trilogy departed the studio after wrapping up the third game's development. All that remains now of the original team(s) is the executive producer, IIRC, and maybe a small handful of other people. So, with that in mind, I'm sure this is a huge undertaking for them that they don't want (nor can afford) to mess up.

IF the rumors going around recently are true, then Prime 4 might be closer than we expect since I doubt they'd start working on another game while still in the middle of something as big as that. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. lol

Nintendo also has had a bad habit at announcing games either way too early or too close to release, Prime 4 being among the former. Bayonetta 3 was announced at the same time during the exact same Nintendo Direct, and yet that still took as long as it did despite supposedly not restarting development at any point (although, that said, I think Devil May Cry 5's release greatly impacted Bayonetta 3 and the direction PlatinumGames took with it, but I digress).

TL;DR: Dread sequel most likely on the way, Prime 4 situation very complicated and not entirely Nintendo's fault.

Yeah i knew it had multiple studios being an issue and restarting production I think twice now but perhaps Nintendo knows its too ambitious what they want to do so it keeps getting derailed. But i mean, whats stopping them from a prime trilogy? i get having to re-do controls and stuff, but they've handled other remasters.

As for Dread, there was a long DYKG episode i saw that basically had Dread started years ago, then canned. Then magically comes out of nowhere. So, yeah, Metroid is a weird IP with Nintendo lol. I would like to see it soon but also, i can see them holding out till spring 2024 as a launch title for new hardware. Hopefully we learn more this year.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Yeah i knew it had multiple studios being an issue and restarting production I think twice now but perhaps Nintendo knows its too ambitious what they want to do so it keeps getting derailed. But i mean, whats stopping them from a prime trilogy? i get having to re-do controls and stuff, but they've handled other remasters.

As for Dread, there was a long DYKG episode i saw that basically had Dread started years ago, then canned. Then magically comes out of nowhere. So, yeah, Metroid is a weird IP with Nintendo lol. I would like to see it soon but also, i can see them holding out till spring 2024 as a launch title for new hardware. Hopefully we learn more this year.

No idea what's stopping them from porting/remastering the Prime trilogy, but I'd imagine it's the same bizarre mentality behind The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD still not being ported over to the Switch. None of them would require that much work to port them, but Nintendo's being very (and strangely) picky with their greed when it comes to things like this (despite how disgustingly greedy they can be 99% of the time otherwise). Could also just be that they want to add them to NSO in the future, as much as I'd hate for Nintendo to handle ports of the any of those games that way.

The Dread we have now is not the same one that originally started development on the Nintendo DS back in the mid-2000s. That version of the game had started development before being subsequently shelved at least two times, ultimately leading to it being put on an indefinite hiatus. Years later (and after multiple rejected pitches/prototypes, including a remake of Fusion), MercurySteam managed to impress Yoshio Sakamoto (who's directed and produced a majority of the mainline Metroid games), hence why got a remake of Return of Samus instead. This is also why we got the current version of Dread despite how poorly Samus Returns sold.

If I were to take a guess, I could see Prime 4 being the next Breath of The Wild in the sense that it'll be a launch title for the next Nintendo console, while also still being released on the Switch simultaneously.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Zephrese said:

If I were to take a guess, I could see Prime 4 being the next Breath of The Wild in the sense that it'll be a launch title for the next Nintendo console, while also still being released on the Switch simultaneously.

I could definitely see this happening in 2024. Most insiders are expecting a new console next year, and I doubt Metroid Prime 4 is coming this year.

MK9, Prime 4, and a new Mario game would be really good start for first party launch titles.

• Like 2

Finally finish Pokemon Scarlet :D

the Clock says 68 hrs and 332/400 catch.

OK i have 2 legends left and a little End Game Content. Overall way better than any reviews have sayed. Good i have play it.

Well im switch back to Sony soon. The old technic specs on Switch was allready a pain in Bayonetta 3 and i rather not tell about Pokemon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It was my birthday earlier this week and I got some games to make my elderly days more pleasant. No Switch games this time as I'm trying to get some Wii U and 3DS eShop exclusives I'm still missing. I got Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Kuru Kuru Kururin (which I already finished), Shin Megami Tensei IV and Titanfall 2. I've played the fantastic Titanfall 2 via PC Game Pass earlier but got it as a gift on Steam to own it. 

55147111fd0c8e4662dda45198af75d16995edfa.jpg

My husband drew me a birthday comic (in Finnish) featuring alchemy and JRPG clichés which we often make fun of. 

On Switch I'm playing Atelier Shallie DX and enjoying the game a lot. The alchemy system isn't quite as good as in Atelier Escha & Logy but I'm glad there's a bunch of returning characters from the Dusk trilogy games. Currently in chapter 9 and trying to level up my alchemy to prepare for possible upcoming boss fights. Octopath Traveler II is just a few weeks away and I'm hoping to finish at least one playthrough before it launches. 

I also started playing Pokémon Rumble World on 3DS again recently. I had last played it 7 years ago and now it feels like a totally new game. I'm having a blast (heh) with it and bought the 3000 diamonds to the game to remove level cooldowns and RNG level roulettes. It made playing much more worthwhile and fun.

• Like 2

I'm halfway through Fire Emblem Engage and I'm totally addicted, lol. It feels a lot like Awakening, mixed with a RPG that revolves around upgrading weapons and equipping accessories. Having the ability to equipping rings and engrave and upgrade weapons really opens up a lot of options. 

Right now my strongest units are Jean (the new Donnel), Yunaka, Celine, Louis, and Alcryst. Alear is starting to get there, but I've had zero luck with his Stat gains. Celine functions a lot like Robin's grandmaster (from Awakening) and she has better stats in every category except speed than Alear.

I think character-wise, Alcryst and Ivy are probably my favorites so far. Alcryst is such a pessimist and apologies for everything. His support conversations are kind of goofy, but some of them get pretty serious. Ivy has her crazy Elusian side you see early, but her support conversations are great. I'm really glad they didn't shy away from doing all the voice acting again because you really get to see the personalities come out.

On a side note, Series 2 for Pokémon began and now allow paradox Pokémon. I have a team concept in mind and did some practice with it and pretty much won all of them by forcing a 1 vs 1. Not exactly the way I want to play... I think I'll need to switch up my Pokémon a bit, but I think Iron Bundle and Iron Hands is a good pairing. I'm just not sure if I want to do an assault Vest build for Iron hands or do a set-up oriented strategy. I think Amoonguss, Iron Hands, Farigaraf, and Iron bundle are a good core, but I also like Iron Hands, Iron Bundle, Scizor, and Ceruledge as another core (which is way more unique).

I also think Gothetelle or Maushold would be really good on an Iron bundle/hands team too, but I need a few days to think about it. For now, I might just try and get myself out of great ball tier, but I have a feeling I may struggle as I'm still trying to figure out what will work ? 

• Like 3