Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

31 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

There's a huge competitive scene, and they are having ranked matches added in December. You rank from pokeball rank to master ball rank and will go up or down ranks if you win or lose a lot. It's a ton of fun and can be done for both singles and doubles. You can also do random casual matches as well if ranked isn't your thing. It's under Battle Stadium.

I spent 600+ hours in sword and shield and I'd say at least 400 of that was building teams and playing matches.

So to clarify, Pokemon Violet has competitive multiplayer?  Is it relatively easy to find people to battle (maybe thats what ranked matches in December is for?)... or do I need to get into the scene external from the game?  With link codes and friend codes or what have you?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

So to clarify, Pokemon Violet has competitive multiplayer?  Is it relatively easy to find people to battle (maybe thats what ranked matches in December is for?)... or do I need to get into the scene external from the game?  With link codes and friend codes or what have you?

Yes, it has a very large competitive following in game and is always easy to find people both ranked and casual matches. Right now, only casual is available AFAIK. No external stuff needed, no friends needed. All randoms. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 10:01 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

You cannot be riding Miraidon or the Scarlet equivalent when taking steps. I can confirm from experience,  they don't count. Also, if they level up from auto-battling, they won't evolve either. 

You also can't really ride and walk Pokemon in general as you'll go too fast.

My only guess is the issue was that you have to be walking a continuous 1,000 steps. Various actions may reset the counter.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

You also can't really ride and walk Pokemon in general as you'll go too fast.

My only guess is the issue was that you have to be walking a continuous 1,000 steps. Various actions may reset the counter.

Gotta love those overly complicated and tedious evolution methods. /s

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

Gotta love those overly complicated and tedious evolution methods. /s

I made a thread over on GameFAQs about how it's kind of weird that this game has all these different special evolution methods but hardly any Pokemon use them.

Spoiler

Haunter is the only normal trade evo.

Scyther/Slowpoke are the only item holding trade evos.

Only a handful of Pokemon use stones to evolve.

Primeape you need to use a certain move twenty times.

Bisharp you need to be holding a special item and then fight three other Bisharp holding the special item.

That weird dolphin guy evolution that requires to be in multiplayer.

Less than 5% of the Pokemon in this game have special requirements beyond leveling to evolve. If we go back to Gen 1, that was roughly 13% of the entire games roster and each gen after that maintains the percent just about.

Weird considering how much easier multiplayer functionality is to use and Nintendo has their NSO sub that I assume they want to push. Sure they're gonna patch in more popular characters that aren't present (plenty of whom will add on to the current special methods) and most likely going to reuse assets from both Sword/Shield and Legends Arceus but still.

• Like 2

Pokémon Scarlet & Violet broke records by selling 10 million copies in 3 days. It was also the biggest videogame launch ever in Japan, with 4 million copies sold in the first three days. Those are some impressive sales! https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/11/pokemon-scarlet-and-violet-is-the-biggest-launch-ever-for-a-video-game-in-japan

I'm still waiting to see TV commercials for the games here in Finland.

I've gotten 3 gym badges and one of those new titan badges so far. Btw, the titan Pokémon are really worth going after as you'll be rewarded greatly. 

I've been advancing slowly as I keep getting sidetracked by all the new Pokémon, trying to evolve them. Some of my favorites of the new ones so far have been Fidough, Tinkatuff and Maushold (not using it but the design is really clever!). Charcadet reminds me of Marvin the Martian and I'm hoping it would get an explosive space modulator skill. Or at least a disintegration pistol.
The final evolution for Quaxly looks pretty decent and its signature move is cool. I haven't dared to evolve Sprigatito to its final form yet. The second evolution looks rather nice at least. I might wait for my husband to evolve his first to see if I'd rather keep mine as a Floragato.

I took a Dreepy into my party and unfortunately they're apparently not available in Pokémon Scarlet, so wasn't able to get one via trade from husbando. I'll see if he could breed me one to get exp a bit faster. Still haven't found Tynamo, but it has a spot secured in my party, because I love Eelektross.

• Like 2

@Dreakon13 I can confirm that the casual matches are worki in SV. Some people already have some crazy good teams and some really... weird ones. xD Just be aware that you may have some late game Pokémon spoiled playing this so I would recommend waiting until you seen the final credits but you can do as you wish.

Regardless, can confirm it's pretty dang fun. It's crazy how quickly people have created cohesive teams with full EVs and the best IVs. No individual pokemon seems to be dominant though. Except for one late game scarlet exclusive... xD

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

No individual pokemon seems to be dominant though. Except for one late game scarlet exclusive... xD

Not entirely true, Smogon is talking about banning shit left and right. They banned an entire Pokemon over the fact it can learn a single really good move that only that Pokemon can learn. Cyclizar might be next.

• Like 1

Dragon Quest Treasures is two weeks away. Can’t wait! :yay: 

Also tried to play the hard mode on Oregon Trail for Switch. Failed to make it to Oregon before winter, so everyone who was still alive died. Really enjoying this game.

Not getting Pokémon before New Year’s. And why can’t Nintendo do a quadruped final evolution for their starter cats? 

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 3:24 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I've seen some really bad frame rates from NPCs walking around, but that's probably the biggest issue I've seen. The rendering is much better than Arceus so at least the world isn't constantly loading in front of you.

You on OG switch or OLED? i have some minor pop-in. Sometimes camera went UNDER the battle (i was on a hill though so maybe...)

Also.... DMs. ALSO, i challenge you. Platinum Gungrave GORE for OBVIOUS reasons.

Also preparing to catch over 50 of some Oinklet thing for my mystery trades. Eventually ill get all 3 starters or rares. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

You on OG switch or OLED? i have some minor pop-in. Sometimes camera went UNDER the battle (i was on a hill though so maybe...)

Another factor is if you're playing on internal storage or external.

I just switched today and honestly I'm not even sure if it made much of a difference. After thirty hours of gameplay I'm just oblivious to the problems now. Any improvements I think I'm seeing could just be placebo too.

Testing something goofy now, on a different Switch I've sent some high level Pokemon and seeing if you do the final gym right off the bat if all level Pokemon will obey you.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

Not entirely true, Smogon is talking about banning shit left and right. They banned an entire Pokemon over the fact it can learn a single really good move that only that Pokemon can learn. Cyclizar might be next.

I was talking in regards to the in-game ladder (VGC rules). Rules aren't out yet for December, but many people already have teams and are testing in free battles. 

Seems lame that smogon would just outright ban Pokémon before the meta has time to form. That's the type of nonsense they should do after 75% of teams are using a single Pokémon. 

• Like 1

I completed two games recently, Kirby and the Forgotten Land and Live A Live.

Kirby has the patented Nintendo cuteness and charm throughout, and it's a great game... but for some reason, I was ready to be done with it. I can't quite put my finger on why that is, but once the credits rolled I was ready to immediately move on; no interest whatsoever in the post-game content, which looks like it could be rather substantial. :dunno: Don't know why, it's just one of those things.

I just finished Live A Live this morning, and I enjoyed that game a lot more. Maybe because the game had that classic 90's Square vibe about it, along with the satisfaction of playing a game previously unreleased in the west that otherwise would have been unplayable for me. It hit on all the right nostalgia points. I'd definitely recommend this one to anybody who enjoys JRPG's, especially the classic Square games.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

picked this up today since I want to play handheld a bit more and i absolutely HATE Joycons but Nintendo is a bunch of dumbasses who keep wanting to experiment. 

20221125_130508.jpg

tested it in the store, itll be comfy.

Congrats!

Would you mind giving us your thoughts after extended use? Looking to get one too since the Joycons get uncomfortable after a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NullRay85 said:

Congrats!

Would you mind giving us your thoughts after extended use? Looking to get one too since the Joycons get uncomfortable after a while.

these are bigger than i imagined but its exactly like if a switch pro controller got cut in half. So it feels comfortable. Joysticks are way better than shitty joycons. No rumble or reader or wireless but that's fine. Saves battery a bit. Ultimately worth it. If you have smaller hands check out the Switch Splitpad Compact. 

I say its a good investment if you prefer handheld mode. I just cant be bothered to use the tv all the time.

• Like 3

Pokémon Violet got me into breeding again. The picnic mechanic is pretty comfy and efficient. Yesterday we were playing Fitness Boxing and meanwhile there was a constant stream of eggs appearing into the baskets in both my and husband's games. The game also has easy access to Pokémon with Flame Body to hatch the eggs faster. 

Now I have an Adamant Dreepy in a Nest ball and an Adamant Tynamo in a Premier ball. I haven't found the NPC that evaluates your Pokémons' IVs yet so for now I'm happy with these. I started EV training the new babies as well so all our breeding efforts wouldn't go to waste.

This game has made it quite convenient to buy evolution items, EV training accessories, TMs, etc. The possibility to use League Points to purchase them ensures you won't run out of currency so easily either. Now I just need to find/unlock the right TMs I want for my Pokémon. If only the game had Super Training, it would be perfect. 

My Tinkatuff evolved into Tinkaton and she looks awesome. I like the design and the skills are very good. That hammer looks like what I would pick for my character in any game. Maybe I'll breed a new Tinkaton when I find Love balls (yes, I'm very particular about these things).

13 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Now I have an Adamant Dreepy in a Nest ball and an Adamant Tynamo in a Premier ball. I haven't found the NPC that evaluates your Pokémons' IVs yet so for now I'm happy with these. I started EV training the new babies as well so all our breeding efforts wouldn't go to waste.

This game has made it quite convenient to buy evolution items, EV training accessories, TMs, etc. The possibility to use League Points to purchase them ensures you won't run out of currency so easily either. Now I just need to find/unlock the right TMs I want for my Pokémon. If only the game had Super Training, it would be perfect. 

A rumor was going around that the first DLC is supposed to make raising competitive mons even easier.

If anyone was wondering about my gym exploit, it still only allows up to level 25 Pokemon to obey. Wasted a shit load of Super Potions for nothing. I guess I'll still do all the gyms in reverse for shits and giggles.

• Like 1

I found my first shiny today in Pokémon Violet. A pink Mareep was in the middle of a mass outbreak and I managed to catch it. 

I also encountered my first crash when the game unexpectedly shut down in a sandstormy town. I hadn't saved in a while so I had to replay a Team Star base. After that everything worked fine again, luckily.

I'm heading to the 4th gym, the water gym in a moment. I'm hoping some of my Pokémon still bother to listen to me and not just go "what was that? A mosquito buzzing?" when I tell them to use moves.

• Like 2

I've been putting a few hours into Violet the last few days and haven't seen much in the way of funny (or even annoying) glitches.  I think a lot of the riff raff is just due to the poor framerates, and things like pop in and low frame/LOD animations creeping in more than people usually see.  It's disappointing for a major first party Switch exclusive in 2022, but not the catastrophe it's been made out to be.  Definitely playable and arguably not any real detriment to the experience.  It's been a few years since Cyberpunk's legitimately and totally broken launch and I think social media is hungry and desperate for any new flawed release to dogpile onto.

Having fun with it though.  I'm unsure if I like this open world style more than the linear Pokemon games (granted I haven't played many Pokemon games since Red/Blue)... but Sword/Shield seemingly squandered the benefits linearity can bring in terms of pacing and storytelling and I can feel the QOL improvements in this one.  It's a true open world Pokemon game mostly realized and I like the idea of being able to walk in any direction and seeing what Pokemon I find and where things take me. ;)  I even beat and enslaved my own Pikachu, just like a real Pokemon adventure.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I've been putting a few hours into Violet the last few days and haven't seen much in the way of funny (or even annoying) glitches.  I think a lot of the riff raff is just due to the poor framerates, and things like pop in and low frame/LOD animations creeping in more than people usually see.  It's disappointing for a major first party Switch exclusive in 2022, but not the catastrophe it's been made out to be.  Definitely playable and arguably not any real detriment to the experience.  It's been a few years since Cyberpunk's legitimately and totally broken launch and I think social media is hungry and desperate for any new flawed release to dogpile onto.

Having fun with it though.  I'm unsure if I like this open world style more than the linear Pokemon games (granted I haven't played many Pokemon games since Red/Blue)... but Sword/Shield seemingly squandered the benefits linearity can bring in terms of pacing and storytelling and I can feel the QOL improvements in this one.  It's a true open world Pokemon game mostly realized and I like the idea of being able to walk in any direction and seeing what Pokemon I find and where things take me. ;)  I even beat and enslaved my own Pikachu, just like a real Pokemon adventure.

Speaking of Pikachu... everyone don't forget to check your Mystery Gift box in the Poke Portal. You get a special Pikachu with a Flying Tera Type. 

I've been using him most of the game and took out the Water Gym with him. But I also caught my own Pikachu who I'll evolve into Raichu.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 1:31 AM, Eyjabria said:

Pokémon Violet got me into breeding again. The picnic mechanic is pretty comfy and efficient. Yesterday we were playing Fitness Boxing and meanwhile there was a constant stream of eggs appearing into the baskets in both my and husband's games. The game also has easy access to Pokémon with Flame Body to hatch the eggs faster. 

My Tinkatuff evolved into Tinkaton and she looks awesome. I like the design and the skills are very good. That hammer looks like what I would pick for my character in any game. Maybe I'll breed a new Tinkaton when I find Love balls (yes, I'm very particular about these things).

I honestly hate the breeding mechanic in this game. Its doubles the time because you can't breed and hatch at the same time like the previous gen plus you need to make a level 2 egg power sandwich every time or it won't work at all.

In the other hand the shiny hunting in the wild is now extremely easy with the shiny + encounter level 3 sandwich. I was able to get all 7 shiny paradox pokemon from Violet in a couple of days. I remember getting 5 shiny iron bundles in just 30 minutes in area zero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceridane said:

I honestly hate the breeding mechanic in this game. Its doubles the time because you can't breed and hatch at the same time like the previous gen plus you need to make a level 2 egg power sandwich every time or it won't work at all.

In the other hand the shiny hunting in the wild is now extremely easy with the shiny + encounter level 3 sandwich. I was able to get all 7 shiny paradox pokemon from Violet in a couple of days. I remember getting 5 shiny iron bundles in just 30 minutes in area zero.

To me it seems like the new breeding is faster than in old games. I had eggs appearing in the basket super fast with Egg power lv 1 sandwich. I guess the speed varies depending on which Pokémon you're trying to breed together. I was breeding Silicobra, Tynamo, Dreepy, Garganacl, etc. and had no problem. Especially Silicobra was breeding so fast I ended up with like 15 extra eggs and I still have some unhatched Tynamo eggs I don't know what to do with.

I also find it makes things faster and more convenient that the eggs are placed into your box instead of party, so you won't have to juggle Pokémon/eggs back and forth to be able to get them. And you won't have to visit a PC to access the box, it's right there in the menu at any time. Sure you can't do something else in the game while breeding, but you can just get a drink, read a magazine, plan your party/moveset/EVs, play something else, post here or whatever while waiting.