Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On 11/15/2022 at 6:13 PM, Ceridane said:

So what version of Pokemon are you guys going to play first and what starter are you choosing?

I'm team Fuecoco without any doubts and I think my main version will be Violet 1f642.png

I bought Scarlet as several of my friends are all getting Violet so I figured one of us needed Scarlet for trading purposes. And I too am starting with Fuecoco. I always go Fire starter first. Hopefully this game can really hold my interest...I only got through 3 Gyms in Sword. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

Pretty much all the reviews for Pokémon Scarlet/Violet on Metacritic complain about performance issues, so they clearly haven't managed to optimize the game properly.

On another note, Black Friday sale started on EU eShop. I'll finally get Piofiore now that it's 30% off.

apparently runs better in handheld, but still not great. Looks like garbage that they rushed out for holiday sales.

Also not a fan of having the cover pokemon start with you basically. 

4 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Pretty much all the reviews for Pokémon Scarlet/Violet on Metacritic complain about performance issues, so they clearly haven't managed to optimize the game properly.

On another note, Black Friday sale started on EU eShop. I'll finally get Piofiore now that it's 30% off.

Yeah, read the same unfortunately.  Hopefully,  they address it in a later patch and rather quickly like BDSP (different company, I know).

Some of the frame drops were pretty jarring. Sunflora run still looked bad and movement freezed up riding through a town that needed to load in from what I saw.

It'll still be fun, and I'm sure battling will be great, but it's just frustrating that they can't seem to get it right on the Switch and have it run smoothly. 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

It'll still be fun, and I'm sure battling will be great, but it's just frustrating that they can't seem to get it right on the Switch and haveitrun smoothly. 

Yeah, it's ridiculous how badly some games run. I was playing For the King with my partner and if you zoom out at all the framerate halves almost instantly. Which is addedly absurd because the game uses a low poly aesthetic.

• Like 1

I think Scarlet and Violet are proof that the Switch is in dire need of a hardware enhancement. I'm sure future patches are going to fix the game up...but I mean even the graphics are showing its limitations with the amount of low quality textures being used everywhere. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

optimize

I'm pretty sure that Game Freak doesn't know what that word is or what it means. ? I'm used to it by now, though, sadly.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

I think Scarlet and Violet are proof that the Switch is in dire need of a hardware enhancement. I'm sure future patches are going to fix the game up...but I mean even the graphics are showing its limitations with the amount of low quality textures being used everywhere. 

While I agree to an extent, I also think it's just a case of Game Freak being absolutely awful and incompetent at optimizing their games.

Other Nintendo studios and even third-party developers have generally faired much better in this regard.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Got the new Pokémon games yesterday and got to pick some merchandise as a bonus. We selected a figurine of the new starters and a lanyard. Got a code for Shiny Eternatus as well (that typo in the code flyer bothers me). 

71844979e2717783ac26d005fab7c2d218c63405.jpg

fd1adb8f5ef146516f0bb84ad6a839faa40b15dd.jpg 6dcf291936d8d1a11c48f824213cefec466fbda1.jpg

I'm having a lot of fun with Pokémon Violet so far! The new Pokémon designs are interesting and I haven't seen any notable performance issues yet. I'm playing it handheld. I also don't get why people bash the graphics. It looks better than Fire Emblem: Three Houses for example and people seem to love that game.

Unfortunately the hair style selection didn't have anything I would have liked for my character, so I'm hoping there's a hair salon with new options later in the game. I picked the grass starter but also got the other ones to Pokédex by restarting a couple of times and trading the starters to husbando's game.

Edit: I also got Piofiore: Fated Memories from eShop Black Friday sale but it went to my backlog for now as I'm playing Pokémon.

I've seen some really bad frame rates from NPCs walking around, but that's probably the biggest issue I've seen. The rendering is much better than Arceus so at least the world isn't constantly loading in front of you.

That being said, I also already found 2 shinies! Rolycoly and Murkrow. Pretty pumped about both tbh.

• Like 3

I love how everyone is going around claiming fans 'shouldn't take this anymore' and are practically declaring that this is finally 'the death' of Pokemon. I've legitimately lost count of how many times I've seen this narrative and it never comes true. Plus no one is actually giving evidence to back this so-called 'claim' of there's.

I'm not saying the criticisms aren't warranted. I'm really not. But no one should really be surprised at this point anymore. I'm certainly not.

But you know... yeah... Pokemon should absolutely finally die now. Because I'm sure that will work out real well for the monster catching genre. ?

But I'm just some random. So WTF do I know

?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I love how everyone is going around claiming fans 'shouldn't take this anymore' and are practically declaring that this is finally 'the death' of Pokemon. I've legitimately lost count of how many times I've seen this narrative and it never comes true. Plus no one is actually giving evidence to back this so-called 'claim' of there's.

I'm not saying the criticisms aren't warranted. I'm really not. But no one should really be surprised at this point anymore. I'm certainly not.

But you know... yeah... Pokemon should absolutely finally die now. Because I'm sure that will work out real well for the monster catching genre. 1f644.png

1f612.png

O_o Dude, you shouldn't believe anything they say...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I love how everyone is going around claiming fans 'shouldn't take this anymore'

There's nothing wrong with this sentiment. Yeah, if you're smart about gaming you probably should wait for a game to be in a playable state until you buy it. This isn't a claim, it's an imperative, and common sense in this day and age. Yeah, people will probably keep buying Pokemon games at launch regardless of how high quality they are, but that's irrelevant to whether or not you should buy them at launch.

15 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

But you know... yeah... Pokemon should absolutely finally die now. Because I'm sure that will work out real well for the monster catching genre. 1f644.png

The 'monster catching genre' currently consists of Digimon and Pokemon, and Pokemon just does the exact same formula over and over again. We're already seeing the rise of indie Pokemon-likes, and if Pokemon did collapse (which is unlikely), it would create a void that other games could fill - likely with more originality, as existing indie contenders have already demonstrated.

That's not to say I think Pokemon "should" die, however Pokemon having a stranglehold on the genre is most certainly not a good thing.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

Personally I think that they should have just released Legends: Arceus this November instead of early in the year, and Scarlet/Violet next November.

Not sure how much that would've helped, but I'd imagine that the games would have been in a much better state at launch. lol We didn't need two games in a year regardless.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

1f612.png

I saw someone stating how Pokémon Scarlet/Violet doesn't even have weather effects and how it is missing all quality of life features from previous games. Would help their credibility if the people criticizing the game actually played the game first before pulling random arguments out of their behind...

I guess it's a trendy thing to do nowadays to attack a game or company on the internets. Meanwhile we can just sit back and enjoy the games.

I hear people have had technical issues with the new Pokémon games and the performance is apparently rather poor in docked mode (haven't tested myself yet). I don't want to deny the existence of problems and I hope there will be patches that make the game better. Luckily I haven't encountered many issues so far and I like the game. The world so far feels pretty immersive and I'm catching all the different Pokémon I see and evolving them. Oh yeah, and I found a hair salon and a cute new hair style for my character.

I haven't experienced that many issues with Scarlet myself personally outside of a bit of lag every now and then, and so far I've had quite a bit of fun with the game despite that.

Although, to be fair, I'm not that far into the game either and I play games at a snail's pace because I get distracted easily (and often run in circles like a moron). ?

It does blow my mind, however, how many problems other people are having, and how TPC/Nintendo thought that this was an acceptable state to release the games in. lol 

It's especially strange how radically different each person's experiences with glitches - or a lack thereof - can be. Kind of hope I get to see some of the funnier ones personally.

I'm sure there's plenty of people just hopping on a hate bandwagon, though, but I suppose that's to be expected at this point because SW/SH and BD/SP had the same problem.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

I haven't experienced that many issues with Scarlet myself personally outside of a bit of lag every now and then, and so far I've had quite a bit of fun with the game despite that.

Although, to be fair, I'm not that far into the game either and I play games at a snail's pace because I get distracted easily (and often run in circles like a moron). 1f602.png

It does blow my mind, however, how many problems other people are having, and how TPC/Nintendo thought that this was an acceptable state to release the games in. lol 

It's especially strange how radically different each person's experiences with glitches - or a lack thereof - can be. Kind of hope I get to see some of the funnier ones personally.

I'm sure there's plenty of people just hopping on a hate bandwagon, though, but I suppose that's to be expected at this point because SW/SH and BD/SP had the same problem.

I could probably upload some goofy screenshots and videos of some of the glitches I've seen. None of them really affect how you play or break or crash the game, which is why I am still having a ton of fun with it.

Apparently,  someone said that a lot of the glitches pertain to memory leaks when going from one area to the next and restarting the game in each new area fixes the lag and frame issues. 

I can't 100% confirm if that's true, but I did notice that the area I am in when I start up does run smoother. For instance,  the frame rate and lag was really bad when I did the electric gym, but was smooth as butter when I did the water gym (which I was in the area and did the gym after booting it up).

That would actually explain why you personally have not had issues going at a snail's pace, while someone like me already has 13/18 badges has seen a lot of goofy glitches. Though, I honestly have to slow it down because I finished the path of titans with 3 level 50 Pokémon,  a level 55 Pokémon, 1 on level 40, and another on level 20 while the final battle had level 60 mons, lol. Pseudo legendaries ftw.

• Like 1

These "walk 1,000 steps with your character outside the ball" evolution requirements suck ass. Pretty sure I've walked over an hour now with my tumbleweed out and it refuses to evolve.

Guess I'll just go sweep the Star gangs, got all the gyms done first two days. Have over 200 caught in the dex.

If anyone wants starters or anything else, let me know. I got a bunch of eggs. Spoilers: The final evos for two of them suck.

• Like 2

Honestly, Scarlet has all the performance issues that are being talked about. When you look at NPC's walking in the distance, they look they're in stop motion, it's pretty bad and I think it's fine that people are complaining about it, Game Freak NEEDS to know and they need to patch it ASAP. But the game itself isn't that bad. I think I already enjoy it more than Sword. 

Sword was my first Pokemon game back since the Gold and Silver days when I was a teenager, and I got 3 gym badges...and just never went back to it. But with Scarlet I played it for a solid 6 hours on night 1, and have been going back and forth with my PS5 since. I've seen people say the ending is great, so I want to actually finish this one.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

These "walk 1,000 steps with your character outside the ball" evolution requirements suck ass. Pretty sure I've walked over an hour now with my tumbleweed out and it refuses to evolve.

Guess I'll just go sweep the Star gangs, got all the gyms done first two days. Have over 200 caught in the dex.

If anyone wants starters or anything else, let me know. I got a bunch of eggs. Spoilers: The final evos for two of them suck.

You cannot be riding Miraidon or the Scarlet equivalent when taking steps. I can confirm from experience,  they don't count. Also, if they level up from auto-battling, they won't evolve either. 

• Like 1

If I were to pick up Pokemon Violet, is there any kind of purposeful multiplayer for someone who plans on playing it alone?  Like battling people via matchmaking?

I don't have friends so I really wouldn't do any of the coop stuff, but testing my Pokemon's mettle against other players seems like it could be fun.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

If I were to pick up Pokemon Violet, is there any kind of purposeful multiplayer for someone who plans on playing it alone?  Like battling people via matchmaking?

I don't have friends so I really wouldn't do any of the coop stuff, but testing my Pokemon's mettle against other players seems like it could be fun.

As in playing against randoms? Not really. It's more co-op focused than anything. I mean you have to set up a link code and you could post it somewhere and see if anyone shows up...but other than that there's no real competitive MP if you don't have friends to link up with. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Viper said:

As in playing against randoms? Not really. It's more co-op focused than anything. I mean you have to set up a link code and you could post it somewhere and see if anyone shows up...but other than that there's no real competitive MP if you don't have friends to link up with. 

That's too bad.  Seems like a game ripe for some more MMO-esque elements.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

4 hours ago, Viper said:

There's a huge competitive scene, and they are having ranked matches added in December. You rank from pokeball rank to master ball rank and will go up or down ranks if you win or lose a lot. It's a ton of fun and can be done for both singles and doubles. You can also do random casual matches as well if ranked isn't your thing. It's under Battle Stadium.

I spent 600+ hours in sword and shield and I'd say at least 400 of that was building teams and playing matches.

• Like 1