Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

7 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

@MosesRockefeller played two missions of L.A. Noire in handheld mode and the game still works like a charm.

I found a funny porting bug though. In the third story mission, you're running after a perp. What the game's supposed to do (and did in the old versions) is have the guy keep you at a distance until the scripted ending, but now I found myself easily outrunning him, yet not being allowed to tackle him.

Thanks for the LA Noire info. I remember chasing after a guy, so I guess I played that mission or maybe a similar side mission. Anyway, it sounds like I should keep the Switch version on my radar.

6 hours ago, crauuecrauue said:

I exclusively play on the move, and exclusively buy physical for Switch when available. I use the HORI card holder, same series of card holders I used for 3DS/DS and I love it (they make a Vita version too which is prohibitively rare and expensive, unfortunately). Same with the Switch case proper, I just imported a HORI semi-hard shell protector only holds the Switch and two connected Joycon, no games (which matches my HORI 3DS one to boot).

I like that white Vita case... it makes my plain black one look pretty boring.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

13 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Thanks for the LA Noire info. I remember chasing after a guy, so I guess I played that mission or maybe a similar side mission. Anyway, it sounds like I should keep the Switch version on my radar.

Buy it! BUY IT NAOW!

Anyway, it's the first chasing mission and there's no side missions at this point so you played this one then. If I recall correctly, it's the only chase that ends at a scripted point and come the second chase you're told how you can tackle them / fire warning shots so I guess it's no biggie for the rest of the game.

It's still a great game, with compelling stories and a great soundtrack. Shame the Team Bondi shenanigans overshadowed the game and made a sequel very unlikely (the company that acquired the L.A. Noire director and most of Team Bondi's assets tried making a sequel in Shanghai called Whore Of The Orient, but it was cancelled in the end).

Let's hope L.A. Noire on Switch/PS4/X1 makes enough money for Rockstar to show that the franchise is still wanted, might get them to make a more direct sequel.

16 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy just booted up L.A. Noire. Apparently we can see each other's stats if you link your Rockstar account too :)

I linked my SC ages ago, said I would unlock some cool stuff. Turns out I only got a suit. 

Now you can see the shame that is my detective "skills"

7 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

Yeah Golf Story is cool. I don't know what Inazuma Eleven is.

Inazuma Eleven is a RPG about a school soccer club available on the DS and 3DS,

You have your normal RPG stuff to do while building your team to win a tournament/save the world. Apparently everything is done through soccer in that world.

That's why I compared it with Golf Story.

Maybe it was the fact you couldn't really "lose" in L.A Noire, but the game always rubbed me the wrong way.  I never finished it so maybe I'm recalling incorrectly but no matter how badly you flubbed up searching crime scenes, piecing the evidence together or interrogating people... the story basically continued the same way.  You just got a lower star rating at the end.  Since I was pretty iffy on the concept anyways, giving me less reason to care about messing up turned the whole thing into a pretty dull affair.  Great face tech though, glad people are enjoying the Switch version. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

22 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Maybe it was the fact you couldn't really "lose" in L.A Noire, but the game always rubbed me the wrong way.  I never finished it so maybe I'm recalling incorrectly but no matter how badly you flubbed up searching crime scenes, piecing the evidence together or interrogating people... the story basically continued the same way.  You just got a lower star rating at the end.  Since I was pretty iffy on the concept anyways, giving me less reason to care about messing up turned the whole thing into a pretty dull affair.  Great face tech though, glad people are enjoying the Switch version. :)

So you're saying it's a Telltale game? :P

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I linked my SC ages ago, said I would unlock some cool stuff. Turns out I only got a suit. 

Now you can see the shame that is my detective "skills"

I guess then you just haven't put your info available to friends yet. Or I somehow don't know ho to scroll through different people's stats.

Also, linking the game gives you info on all your completion stats, and it means you can use the Social Club site to get to an interactive map showing you exactly what you're missing.

37 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Inazuma Eleven is a RPG about a school soccer club available on the DS and 3DS,

You have your normal RPG stuff to do while building your team to win a tournament/save the world. Apparently everything is done through soccer in that world.

That's why I compared it with Golf Story.

Well, if it ever goes on the Switch, I'll check out some gameplay.

36 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Well... The overall story didn't change, sure, but you can and will get chewed out by your chief if you fail a case hard enough. I think you should see the non-action segments of this game more like a point and click game - in many of those games you can't lose, you just have to go on until you find the correct solution, which is what happens in L.A. Noire too.

Not that this is the only possible point against L.A. Noire. I mean, it's a flawed game, for sure, and there's enough reasons not to like it. It's just hitting all the right notes for me, which is why I'm on my fifth playthrough since the game was released (X360 blind playthrough at release, achievement playthrough a year or two later, PS3 blind playthrough once I got rid of the X360, trophy playthrough a while later, and now my first Switch blind playthrough, which I'll go to 100% for eventually too).

Basically, this music gives me chills and I love the game for that.

(Bonus points if listening to this music is what makes @MosesRockefeller give in and buy the game)

29 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

I guess then you just haven't put your info available to friends yet. Or I somehow don't know ho to scroll through different people's stats.

Also, linking the game gives you info on all your completion stats, and it means you can use the Social Club site to get to an interactive map showing you exactly what you're missing.

I remember messing around with the Social Club site for RDR. It's a cool feature but I don't use it enough. I'll have to rectify that with RDR2 if they use it going forward.

35 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Basically, this music gives me chills and I love the game for that.

(Bonus points if listening to this music is what makes @MosesRockefeller give in and buy the game)

Man, I don't remember the game having such dramatic music! Nice.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

So you're saying it's a Telltale game? :P

xD Basically.  Though Telltale games can at least send you down different paths, they just always funnel back/even out.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't very many "life or death" decisions to make in L.A. Noire?  Just different star ratings and moving on the the next case.

EDIT: Now if my awful detective abilities came back to bite me regularly later on in the story (even in minor ways) or had some story implications outside of star ratings or getting reprimanded by my superior, that'd be pretty interesting.

1 hour ago, Cthulhu said:

Well... The overall story didn't change, sure, but you can and will get chewed out by your chief if you fail a case hard enough. I think you should see the non-action segments of this game more like a point and click game - in many of those games you can't lose, you just have to go on until you find the correct solution, which is what happens in L.A. Noire too.

Not that this is the only possible point against L.A. Noire. I mean, it's a flawed game, for sure, and there's enough reasons not to like it. It's just hitting all the right notes for me, which is why I'm on my fifth playthrough since the game was released (X360 blind playthrough at release, achievement playthrough a year or two later, PS3 blind playthrough once I got rid of the X360, trophy playthrough a while later, and now my first Switch blind playthrough, which I'll go to 100% for eventually too).

Yeah, I can appreciate that people do enjoy the game. :)  Even if it didn't hit many of the right notes for me at all.

Edited by Dreakon13

4 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

xD Basically.  Though Telltale games can at least send you down different paths, they just always funnel back/even out.

Yeah, my favorite was TWD S2. I'm still mad about 2 bullshit choices in that game. Ugh.

You have to love a choice where people hate you no matter what you pick. What am I, a politician in these games? :P

9 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

I'll have a look into it whenever I play next. Probs won't be for a good while though tbh, too many games as it is.

Yeah I'm aware of that, but tbh now that I'm long done with trophies, I'd rather just play a game for fun, and if I feel the need to complete it, I'd try to just do it on my own. *Like the good ol' days* Although to be entirely honest, this is gonna be a game where eventually I'll beat the main story, I'll probably have all the random criminals picked up, and not very much else. Doesn't compel me to go around and seek out every hidden little thing. The story and gameplay are good and I enjoy them both, but once I've clocked the story, outside of running civilians over and being the worst cop in LA, there's not much left calling to me.

I bought four small new games. One has just been released yesterday, three were on a sale, one of which I didn't even know that existed. All three have been on Steam since 2017 and have garnered positive reviews there.

header.jpg

Just released, I've been interested in this since I saw the reveal in that Nindies Direct. I know that it released last year on PC to great reviews from people saying you shouldn't see it as a game but as a comedy. Count me in, it's only €9 anyway, my pizza from yesterday was €14 and I only enjoyed that for about half an hour.

header.jpg

A text adventure about an AI robot on a mission to solve why other robots are going missing.

header.jpg

Didn't know this game even existed. It's an adventure game about a girl conflicted between her love for animals, and her love for meat. Over the course of the game, she creates a new religion for animals to convince them to sacrifice their flesh.

I mean, if that description doesn't do it for you...

header.jpg?t=1488995053

Called a "meditative parallel puzzle game", it's been on my radar since it released on the Switch somewhere over a year ago. I thought it might be too costly for its size back then but it's 50% off now.

All in all, four very different games, that also seem to be very different from what I already have on the Switch.

14 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

xD Basically.  Though Telltale games can at least send you down different paths, they just always funnel back/even out.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't very many "life or death" decisions to make in L.A. Noire?  Just different star ratings and moving on the the next case.

EDIT: Now if my awful detective abilities came back to bite me regularly later on in the story (even in minor ways) or had some story implications outside of star ratings or getting reprimanded by my superior, that'd be pretty interesting.

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, my favorite was TWD S2. I'm still mad about 2 bullshit choices in that game. Ugh.

You have to love a choice where people hate you no matter what you pick. What am I, a politician in these games? :P

Personally, I don't mind if a story game like L.A. Noire or Day Of The Tentacle does not give you much choice in the matter. What I DO mind is when games like anything Telltale or David Cage claim that the game is "tailored to how you play" yet does not make it matter except for one or two responses. I want to see a game that wildly varies based on your responses, but due to the number of assets needed then that's probably too expensive a project.

10 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

I broke down and bought Old Man's Journey that's on sale at the moment. I haven't played much but I think this is going to be an emotional journey. The music is certainly excellent and the artwork reminds me of Tim Scharfer games like Broken Age.

Let me know what you think afterwards. I was thinking about getting the game but I've read a lot of opinions that amount to "the game is not as emotional as the developer wants you to think it is".

6 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I'll have a look into it whenever I play next. Probs won't be for a good while though tbh, too many games as it is.

Yeah I'm aware of that, but tbh now that I'm long done with trophies, I'd rather just play a game for fun, and if I feel the need to complete it, I'd try to just do it on my own. *Like the good ol' days* Although to be entirely honest, this is gonna be a game where eventually I'll beat the main story, I'll probably have all the random criminals picked up, and not very much else. Doesn't compel me to go around and seek out every hidden little thing. The story and gameplay are good and I enjoy them both, but once I've clocked the story, outside of running civilians over and being the worst cop in LA, there's not much left calling to me.

I'll do a blind story run, possibly going in freeroam for the additional street crimes. A while from now, I'll go back and five star the cases. I might also do all collectables. After that, I'll go back when I feel like playing the story again but by that time I'll probably have bought the PS4 version for under €10 and I'll continue the cycle on there.

On 5/30/2018 at 9:25 PM, Cthulhu said:

Yeah, Golf Story is not really the same theme. That's like saying Shaun Of The Dead is the same theme as Resident Evil :D

Fun game, though. Enjoy.

Played Golf Story for a while last night, advanced to the next course, Lurker Valley. The golf mechanics seem very similar to Everybody's Golf but it lacks the same finesse. And just so you know, Everybody's Golf is quite humorous too, it just doesn't have RPG elements. 

Fun game so far but the controls felt wonky in the golf parts. It was really difficult to adjust the angle of the shots with the stick as it easily started swapping clubs if the stick was pushed even slightly diagonally. And d-pad which would have been more accurate didn't do anything. Same issue in the menu, it was really difficult to select a specific menu item. I played with Pro Controller.
It was also difficult to know how much power to apply to the swing/chip as it often only showed a part of the ball's travelling distance, leaving me guessing whether 50% or 70% is just right. Managed a hole-in-one regardless.

10 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Played Golf Story for a while last night, advanced to the next course, Lurker Valley. The golf mechanics seem very similar to Everybody's Golf but it lacks the same finesse. And just so you know, Everybody's Golf is quite humorous too, it just doesn't have RPG elements. 

Fun game so far but the controls felt wonky in the golf parts. It was really difficult to adjust the angle of the shots with the stick as it easily started swapping clubs if the stick was pushed even slightly diagonally. And d-pad which would have been more accurate didn't do anything. Same issue in the menu, it was really difficult to select a specific menu item. I played with Pro Controller.
It was also difficult to know how much power to apply to the swing/chip as it often only showed a part of the ball's travelling distance, leaving me guessing whether 50% or 70% is just right. Managed a hole-in-one regardless.

I didn't know Everybody's Golf was humorous too, I just figured you went from a golf game to Golf Story. Personally I think Golf Story secretly isn't a golf game at all. Yes, there's classic courses to do but there's so much around it...

Took me a while to get used to the controls in Golf Story too. If you go back to when the game was released in this thread you'll find me asking several questions to someone else who already had the game about all the stuff that wasn't logical to me. Got through it in the end, fortunately.

22 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

I had the first The Pinball Arcade X360 game with all the tables that came out back then.

I've bought season one on PS4 in a sale. Kind of forgot about the game once later seasons started appearing.

The Switch version immediately became my favourite because you can use it sideways, making for a perfect table overview. Too bad Williams/Bally is unavailable for now.

Regarding price: the Gottlieb tables at least are really cheap compared to other versions, €1,67 to €1,80 per table. Then the Stern and Alvin G & Co packs up the ante by doing €3,33 to €4 per table, and then there's one original Farsight Studios table for €5.

On PS4, most season packs cost €10 and are for ten to twelve tables, so €2,50 to€3 per table. Season One has 21 tables for the same price (So €1,43 per table) which includes some of the Gottlieb/Stern tables in the Switch packs.

So I'd say while the Gottlieb packs are certainly well priced, the other packs seem a wee bit high. Note that one of the Stern packs contains the free Frankenstein game, so you're getting five instead of six tables for the same €20.

Personally I would have preferred if they'd just brought all these tables as one full game for €60 (it now all together costs €91) and then brought newer tables in DLC packs for a per table price of €2 to €3.

Once again, I do love the game even more on the Switch and I will probably shell out for the more expensive packs eventually, partially using gold coins to explain the price away for myself. I now bought all the Gottlieb table packs and used about €15 in gold coins on them, so I've been thinking about getting the two Stern packs, using my current €5 or so gold coins on them and saying I've spent all coins to bring the Stern packs down to €10 per pack. I bought my first Gottlieb pack (n3 because of Black Hole) completely with gold coins because I was a bit hesitant at first but it's now obvious that I'll spend dozens of hours on this game in between story games.

So I managed to pick it up for $40 last night and it runs great on the switch, looks great on the 50 inch tv tbh and I know half of Saturday will be playing pinball. Now with that said I'm pretty sure there's no online functionality with the switch version and tbh I don't know if the other "Stern" release have this for other systems given that I have Pinball arcade with the other manufacturers included.

43 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

So I managed to pick it up for $40 last night and it runs great on the switch, looks great on the 50 inch tv tbh and I know half of Saturday will be playing pinball. Now with that said I'm pretty sure there's no online functionality with the switch version and tbh I don't know if the other "Stern" release have this for other systems given that I have Pinball arcade with the other manufacturers included.

Let me know what you think of the Stern tables because those are exactly the tables that I don't have on The Pinball Arcade yet.

Well, those and the two Alvin G & Co tables and the one original table, but I'm not really interested in any of those three.

6 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

I bought four small new games. One has just been released yesterday, three were on a sale, one of which I didn't even know that existed. All three have been on Steam since 2017 and have garnered positive reviews there.

header.jpg

Just released, I've been interested in this since I saw the reveal in that Nindies Direct. I know that it released last year on PC to great reviews from people saying you shouldn't see it as a game but as a comedy. Count me in, it's only €9 anyway, my pizza from yesterday was €14 and I only enjoyed that for about half an hour.

header.jpg

A text adventure about an AI robot on a mission to solve why other robots are going missing.

header.jpg

Didn't know this game even existed. It's an adventure game about a girl conflicted between her love for animals, and her love for meat. Over the course of the game, she creates a new religion for animals to convince them to sacrifice their flesh.

I mean, if that description doesn't do it for you...

I grabbed WoL too. It was on my radar ever since the Direct where it was shown, and it looks quirky and fun.

I got Subsurface Circular a while back but haven't started it yet.

Psychotic's Agatha Knife - interesting concept. As a vegetarian myself, this game seems to fit in with the people who look at me like I'm an alien - "oh I could never give up meat". I have a coworker who does a no-carb diet with fasting (he eats one meal a day) - that is way more difficult for me to comprehend than giving up meat.

Also, holy crap! LEGO City Undercover is on sale in the eShop for $15. If you buy one LEGO game on Switch, make sure it's this one. I played it to 100% completion on Wii U, and even I'm tempted to get it again for that price. It's a lot of fun, and it has co-op now (the Wii U original version did not). Also, it has a handful of Mario easter eggs, which survived the port to Switch (but understandably not the PS4 and X1 ports).

Edited by MosesRockefeller

I don't have a source on hand, but I feel like I read on Twitter, that West of Loathing was going to be getting a LimitedRunGames physical release on the Switch sometime.  Which is probably one I'll pick up whenever it happens... the game looks hilarious. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I grabbed WoL too. It was on my radar ever since the Direct where it was shown, and it looks quirky and fun.

I had to laugh at this screen on the eShop. My wife thought it was stupid.

GVvmZnxcZ3igZD7wAEidzL2zH0sjZrNY.jpg

I got Subsurface Circular a while back but haven't started it yet.

That's the problem with backlogs - you never know when there's a better sale on.

Lucky you, this game is cheap anyway, and if it ends up being good it's not too bad that you sponsored the devs a bit more.

Psychotic's Agatha Knife - interesting concept. As a vegetarian myself, this game seems to fit in with the people who look at me like I'm an alien - "oh I could never give up meat". I have a coworker who does a no-carb diet with fasting (he eats one meal a day) - that is way more difficult for me to comprehend than giving up meat.

I love meat and I'm trying to eat less of it. All meats in our house are biological these days, and we order a lot from a company that has farmers only kill the animals once they've been 100% sold - so free range animals, zero product wasted.

Also, holy crap! LEGO City Undercover is on sale in the eShop for $15. If you buy one LEGO game on Switch, make sure it's this one. I played it to 100% completion on Wii U, and even I'm tempted to get it again for that price. It's a lot of fun, and it has co-op now (the Wii U original version did not). Also, it has a handful of Mario easter eggs, which survived the port to Switch (but understandably not the PS4 and X1 ports).

I play LEGO games mostly for the missus and we haven't yet played through the last few so not for me, I guess.

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

I don't have a source on hand, but I feel like I read on Twitter, that West of Loathing was going to be getting a LimitedRunGames physical release on the Switch sometime.  Which is probably one I'll pick up whenever it happens... the game looks hilarious. :)

That reminds me, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy you talked about physical being cheaper than digital sometimes. I haven't seen that on newly released games yet, but I've seen the opposite plenty on non-AAA games. Just today I noticed Yoku's Island Express is €40 physical here instead of the digital €20. If West Of Loathing goes physical, again I doubt it'll be €9 like it is digitally.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

@Cthulhu, can you give me impressions of The Way Remastered? It looks interesting but I need some more info.

Haven't played it yet except for the first minute to see (and I don't like that I have to wait ten days before I can see how many hours in I am so I always boot up new games).

I bought it just based on the trailer. I was almost stopped by the mediocre reviews because a few mentioned a game breaking bug but after a bit more digging I found out that not only did they figure out the bug and had an update waiting for Nintendo's approval, they warned players before release through their own site and a reddit post, and posted a detailed way to avoid the game crash (it'd only happen if people took too long to defeat a certain boss so they posted the way to beat it). I figured that level of commitment is pretty cool and it's a shame if people miss out on a game simply because the reviews mentioned a bug that wasn't even in there any more.

I'm pretty sure I'll like the game a lot. Until what day is the sale for you? I got a few days off next week, I could give the game a go if it helps.

1 hour ago, Cthulhu said:

That reminds me, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy you talked about physical being cheaper than digital sometimes. I haven't seen that on newly released games yet, but I've seen the opposite plenty on non-AAA games. Just today I noticed Yoku's Island Express is €40 physical here instead of the digital €20. If West Of Loathing goes physical, again I doubt it'll be €9 like it is digitally.

The general rule with Limited Run Games is that it's $10 more than digital to help cover the additional manufacturing costs of the games.  I'd expect West Of Loathing to be $25 (though its $11 price on the Nintendo Store is unusual so maybe it'll be $21 xD).  I'd consider those an exception though, since they're intended to be collectors items produced in very limited quantities, and wouldn't really have any expectations of being cheaper.

Though you're correct, indie titles even heading to brick and mortar shops typically aren't cheaper than digital.  If I had to guess on that, I'd say its because they don't have the street appeal of AAA games, physical copies are less common for indies and less marketed, and as such don't move as many physical copies as they do digital... so they don't print as many copies in total.  Since they aren't doing it in as large of bulk, their manufacturing costs are higher.  Don't get as many breaks as the big boys printing millions of copies of their games.  So it's understandable.

AAA is where you'll find savings, since within days of most major releases you can save upwards of $10-15 even buying new/sealed on sites like eBay just due to supply generally meeting or exceeding demand, and saving on sales tax and whatnot (even DKC Tropical Freeze I got for $50 on eBay within a week of release despite Nintendo's infamy for rarely fluctuating game prices versus $60+tax had I went digital).  Within a couple months I've gotten new copies of games nearly half price.  Though the timeline changes a little depending on the size of the developer/publisher and how many copies are really in circulation.

Edited by Dreakon13

18 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

The general rule with Limited Run Games is that it's $10 more than digital to help cover the additional manufacturing costs of the games.  I'd consider those an exception since they're intended to be collectors items produced in very limited quantities, and wouldn't really have any expectations of being cheaper.

Though you're correct, indie titles going to retail typically aren't cheaper than digital.  If I had to guess on that, I'd say its because they don't have the street appeal of AAA games, physical copies are less common for indies and less marketed, and as such don't move as many physical copies as they do digital... so they don't print as many copies in total.  Since they aren't doing it in as large of bulk, their manufacturing costs are higher.  Don't get as many breaks as the big boys printing millions of copies of their games.  So it's understandable.

AAA is where you'll find savings, since within days of most major releases you can save upwards of $10-15 even buying new/sealed on sites like eBay just due to supply generally meeting or exceeding demand, and saving on sales tax and whatnot.  Within a few months I've gotten new copies of games nearly 50% less.  Though the timeline changes a little if you're talking about console exclusives versus multiplatform (exclusives don't get cheaper nearly as quickly, again I'd assume due to the limited nature of them).

Indeed.

Personally I'm always evaluating how much something is worth to me. Starlink is already pre-ordered for me, Red Dead Redemption II I might wait until the first people start selling/trading, God Of War did only end up with me day one because of a pre-order sale where I could trade in games I was done with anyway, and Assassin's Creed wil always be a collector's edition day one for me.

Digital should always be cheaper as you can't sell it on unless you're selling your account, and there's zero manufacturing involved, it's just downloading the game code. However, to me it's got other advantages we already discussed.

8 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Indeed.

Personally I'm always evaluating how much something is worth to me. Starlink is already pre-ordered for me, Red Dead Redemption II I might wait until the first people start selling/trading, God Of War did only end up with me day one because of a pre-order sale where I could trade in games I was done with anyway, and Assassin's Creed wil always be a collector's edition day one for me.

Digital should always be cheaper as you can't sell it on unless you're selling your account, and there's zero manufacturing involved, it's just downloading the game code. However, to me it's got other advantages we already discussed.

Yup, that was the idea.  But somewhere along the line developers/publishers realized keeping games at full retail price even if digital, just meant more money in their pockets... and such went our idea of a beautiful, fair, cheaper digital gaming future. xD  The indie scene is passing the savings along to the consumer at least, so good for them and good for you.

I don't have many expenses really outside of keeping shelter over my head, a car in my driveway, and food in my stomach... so I don't mind paying a premium for physical copies of games at the moment.  Especially if they're games I really like, and especially if they're limited/collectible releases that retain their value better.

Edited by Dreakon13

34 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Yup, that was the idea.  But somewhere along the line developers/publishers realized keeping games at full retail price even if digital, just meant more money in their pockets... and such went our idea of a beautiful, fair, cheaper digital gaming future. xD  The indie scene is passing the savings along to the consumer at least, so good for them and good for you.

I don't have many expenses really outside of keeping shelter over my head, a car in my driveway, and food in my stomach... so I don't mind paying a premium for physical copies of games at the moment.  Especially if they're games I really like, and especially if they're limited/collectible releases that retain their value better.

I support my wife while she's taking a new study. Still, I've got enough to spare to not be too picky about what games I buy. I'm choosing indies momentarily because there's much more variation, there's but a bare few AAA games I'm interested in these days.