Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

3 minutes ago, TheStark700 said:

Trailer for that. I imagine this is likely get release on Switch 2

It says Switch in the top right. I don't think there is going to be cross-gen games either because the next console will more than likely be backwards compatible with the Switch.

do wonder what the holiday game for this year will be now, though. Assuming we're getting one, of course.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

It says Switch in the top right. I don't think there is going to be cross-gen games either because the next console will more than likely be backwards compatible with the Switch.

do wonder what the holiday game for this year will be now, though. Assuming we're getting one, of course.

Of course it doesn't say Switch 2, they haven't revealed the console yet...so they have no reason to announce it as a cross-gen title yet. But 2025 definitely means it's more likely than anything else. And this is Nintendo...any chance they get to sell you the same game more than once they will, BC or not. 

Not liking the title though...how are we supposed to pronounce it? "Z to A"? Like A to Z but backwards? or "ZAH"?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Viper said:

Of course it doesn't say Switch 2, they haven't revealed the console yet...so they have no reason to announce it as a cross-gen title yet. But 2025 definitely means it's more likely than anything else. And this is Nintendo...any chance they get to sell you the same game more than once they will, BC or not. 

Not liking the title though...how are we supposed to pronounce it? "Z to A"? Like A to Z but backwards? or "ZAH"?

The person I quoted said it as if it wasn't going to be on the Switch at all/only on the next console.

And, while I see where you're coming from, I disagree in this particular context. It makes sense that the Switch has received various Wii U and 3DS ports because the former was a commercial failure and used discs that obviously would've bulked up a primarily handheld device too much, while the 3DS used two screens in addition to different touch screen technology. The Switch is the exact opposite of a commercial failure, uses one screen, doesn't use discs, etc., etc. It stands to reason that - seeing as the next console is also likely a hybrid device - that it'll be backwards compatible with the Switch, therefore eliminating any reason to have cross-gen releases beyond maybe labeling certain games and reprints of existing ones as being compatible with both. It would just create more confusion otherwise (e.g look at how terribly both Microsoft and Sony have managed things going into this gen).

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

They said it as if it wasn't going to be in the Switch at all/only on the next console.

And, I disagree in this particular context. It made sense that the Switch received various Wii U and 3DS ports because the former was a commercial failure and used disc that obviously would've bulked up a primarily handheld device too much and the 3DS used two screen in addition to different touch screen technology. The Switch is not a failure, uses one screen, doesn't use disc. It stands to reason that - seeing as the next console is also likely a hybrid device - that it'll be backwards compatible with the Switch, therefore eliminating any reason to have cross-gen releases beyond mayb labeling certain games and reprints of existing ones as being compatible with both.

We don't have to agree on this, that's cool. But you do realize we aren't on Reddit right? Confuse reacting me isn't a downvote and doesn't hurt anyone's rep lol. 

Why would Nintendo suddenly do something so pro-consumer? I'm not looking at this in the context of how they handled the Switch with the Wii U or it being successful. I'm looking at it in the context of how the entire gaming industry is NOW and how Nintendo treats their fans already. If they can double down on a user buying their game twice, they absolutely will. And what does backwards compatibility have to do with anything? The PS5 and XSX are also BC, they still sell you both gens of the game. I too think the Switch 2 will have backward compatibility, but that doesn't change the fact that this being a cross-gen release (without any kind of free upgrade path) wouldn't be the most Nintendo thing they can do.  Hell I'm still standing by the fact that I think Tears of the Kingdom will get a Switch 2 version, this coming in 2025, I'm even more convinced. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Viper said:

We don't have to agree on this, that's cool. But you do realize we aren't on Reddit right? Confuse reacting me isn't a downvote and doesn't hurt anyone's rep lol. 

-snip-

Because I'm legitimately confused? Why do you care? lol

I've made my point on the matter, cheers.

Just now, Zephrese said:

Because I'm legitimately confused? Why do you care? lol

I've made my point on the matter, cheers.

I wouldn't say I care exactly, I just see you doing this to everyone you don't agree with (such as the Microsoft thread and anyone who didn't outright shit all over Microsoft), which is a very toxic Reddit thing to do. So you being "legitimately confused" when I explained myself quite clearly, I doubt that. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

I wouldn't say I care exactly, I just see you doing this to everyone you don't agree with (such as the Microsoft thread and anyone who didn't outright shit all over Microsoft), which is a very toxic Reddit thing to do. So you being "legitimately confused" when I explained myself quite clearly, I doubt that. 

Think what you want, I guess? Not sure why you're seemingly being so aggressive either when I never even said you were wrong, just that I personally don't see it being as likely this time around. It's Nintendo, though, so you never really know with them. lol

Edited by Zephrese

1 minute ago, Zephrese said:

Think what you want. Not sure why you're seemingly being so aggressive either when I never even said you were wrong, just that I personally don't see it being as likely this time around.

I assure you there's no aggression in my posts here. I just think it's a bit ridiculous how you're using it, is all. :) 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I wonder if it is going to take place in the past or the future because I was getting futuristic vibes.

The trailer kind of gave off vibes of both the past and future, ngl. It clearly points out the construction of Lumiose City (in the past), but a lot of it also gives off the futuristic vibes you mentioned. Perhaps time travel is involved to some extent like how it was in Arceus, perhaps to an even greater degree? Maybe it also plays/ties into the title (Z = the present/future where you start your journey, then you travel to the past = A) and seeing/learning more about the war mentioned in the backstory of X/Y.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

The trailer kind of gave off vibes of both the past and future, ngl. It clearly points out the construction of Lumiose City (in the past), but a lot of it also gives off the futuristic vibes you mentioned. Perhaps time travel is involved to some extent like how it was in Arceus, perhaps to an even greater degree? Maybe it also plays/ties into the title (Z = the present/future where you start your journey, then you travel to the past = A) and seeing/learning more about the war mentioned in the backstory of X/Y.

That would actually make a lot of sense.

My thoughts were that there may be some jumping between the Alpha and Delta time lines (with/without mega evolutions) or possibly this takes place between the Zeta (Z) and Alpha (A) timelines and we will be jumping between the past (A) and future (Z) or vice versa and changing the timeline?

• Like 3

So, I have Pokemon Y, but haven't gotten past getting the starters (because I want my shiny Fennekin, gosh darn it!). I plan on firing it up and trying a little harder this year to get it, and play a bit more of Pokemon Legends: Arceus. I gotta lot of games to play this year.

• Like 3

On the one hand... I'm glad they got through their dumb mobile stuff as quickly as possible. On the other hand... I don't really understand wtf they are doing.

I mean don't get me wrong okay? I'll take another Legends title. But I wasn't expecting Legends Kalos of all things. Plus Megas? If they are back... then great I love that. Megas are still my favorite generational gimmick to this day. But are there news ones? Are we still getting forms like we did in Legends Arceus? Too many questions with no answers.

Are they taking the year off because of Switch 2? Or do they still have something to announce? Why are they taking the year off? Did all of the whining and complaining actually get to them? They don't have an incentive to change so why did that get to them and get them to do this?

But hey... if it'll get the whiners and the complainers to STFU then that's a plus. I guess. I'm just really god damn confused and have several questions which I'll never get answers for. That's all.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, SelectiveGamer said:

On the one hand... I'm glad they got through their dumb mobile stuff as quickly as possible. On the other hand... I don't really understand wtf they are doing.

I mean don't get me wrong okay? I'll take another Legends title. But I wasn't expecting Legends Kalos of all things. Plus Megas? If they are back... then great I love that. Megas are still my favorite generational gimmick to this day. But are there news ones? Are we still getting forms like we did in Legends Arceus? Too many questions with no answers.

Are they taking the year off because of Switch 2? Or do they still have something to announce? Why are they taking the year off? Did all of the whining and complaining actually get to them? They don't have an incentive to change so why did that get to them and get them to do this?

But hey... if it'll get the whiners and the complainers to STFU then that's a plus. I guess. I'm just really god damn confused and have several questions which I'll never get answers for. That's all.

Well, teaser trailers typically leave you with more questions than answers. The game is scheduled for 2025... they aren't going to show their entire hand now. Lol.

There's definitely megas in it though... it had the rainbow-colored mega symbol in the trailer so they're definitely there. I personally wasn't a very big fan of it so I do hope more pokemon get them and is contained into this game.

To me, this definitely indicates that GAMEFREAK will not be making any other games this year. However, Gamefreak didn't handle remakes last time either which makes me think this will be similar to the DP remakes late in the year + Legends Arceus early next year. I'd bet money that ILCA is making BW chibi remakes as we speak to come out at the end of this year. It'd fill the gap going into the Switch 2 as well if 2024 is it's last holiday year. It would totally make sense considering the bare release schedule we have right now.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 4

If Z-A is set entirely in Lumiose City (this has been stated to be the case by official sources on Twitter/X, but apparently this is not the case for Japanese ones), then my hype's already taking a slight nosedive. 😕 Beyond just wanting to see Southern France/Kalos (or whatever it would be called in-universe), I have very little reason to believe that Game Freak can create a massive city on such limited hardware without it looking/running like dogshit. People keep bringing up Persona, Yakuza, etc., as counter points to those against the idea of the game being set exclusively within the city, but I find those examples to be rather disingenuous when you take into consideration that it's Game Freak and the Switch that we are talking about here. I also feel like a completely urban area doesn't work as well with the idea of Pokémon given that they're animals, and how much emphasis previous games have put on exploration and the wilderness (although we could get different biomes within the city, which could be cool if done well). Hopefully I'm wrong, but even then I'd still be disappointed in Southern France once again being completely ignored, especially when this is the perfect chance to do something with it (and after "teasing" it on Paldea's map in S/V). It also makes me worried about how they'll address the war from 3000 years ago, if they even do so at all. I'm still excited either way, and I'm curious as to how they're going to pull everything off.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 11:17 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

That would actually make a lot of sense.

My thoughts were that there may be some jumping between the Alpha and Delta time lines (with/without mega evolutions) or possibly this takes place between the Zeta (Z) and Alpha (A) timelines and we will be jumping between the past (A) and future (Z) or vice versa and changing the timeline?

It's 100% this.
Z because it takes place after X/Y, then A because you can travel to the events way before X/Y (and so they can reuse Legends Arceus assets).

• Like 3

On 2/27/2024 at 11:38 AM, mcnichoj said:

They've been too busy making new games which is better. Even though the story in Engage sucked, I'd still have that over a copy/paste of an older game.

If they were going to do anything with FE I'd like full blown remasters in the style of the new games and I'd want them to start with older entries. I think Blazing Blade (FE7) would be a good place to start since it's the one that most people in the west experienced first.

Since we're talking 3DS and ports, I feel Kid Icarus: Uprising deserves it more than anything although save it for release on Switch 2 at this point.

To be honest I had more fun with Engage than with 3 houses

god me running through that monastery is like visiting a half populated graveyard 

OT of remasters, while I do agree that I too always prefer new to any kind of a rerelease, the 3ds fire emblem games are in my opinion real gems, would not mind them on my switch at all 

• Like 4

Managed to get my hands on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for $42 (well $48 after tax and shipping). Which is a great price considering how hard it's been to even find and how much most resellers are trying to sell it for ($80 and up) and it's only going up in price. Haven't even played the first game yet, but I knew I couldn't wait to finish it (to see if I even like it) to get this game otherwise it'd be out of reach by that point. Hopefully XC3 doesn't get this ridiculous in the next year or so. 

• Like 4

FYI, Octopath Travelers 1 got delisted from the Eshop as it changed publisher rights from Nintendo to Square Enix.

My guess is it's coming to other consoles... I  doubt it'll stay delisted for long regardless.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Holy shit, autocorrect
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

FYI, Octopath Travelers 1 got delisted from the Eshop as it changed publisher rights from Nintendo to Square Enix.

My guess is it's coming to other consoles... I  doubt it'll stay delisted for long regardless.

Octopath Traveler has been on Xbox since 2021 though. But maybe Square will finally port it to PlayStation too. Amazing game, btw. Still one of my all-time favorites.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Octopath Traveler has been on Xbox since 2021 though. But maybe Square will finally port it to PlayStation too. Amazing game, btw. Still one of my all-time favorites.

I wanted to buy it at some point too. Hope it comes back. Added plus if it comes to PS... I already have Octopath Traveler 2 on PS4.

• Like 2