Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On 5/6/2024 at 3:50 PM, Eyjabria said:

An update on my Octopath Traveler 2 playthrough: After 150 hours I figured I need help with a few remaining side quests. I looked up a guide to finish the rest of them and I'm pretty glad I did - I don't think I would have figured some of them out on my own ever. 

In addition the guide helped me find some secret optional dungeons I hadn't found myself. For example, one optional dungeon required you to have 7 people in party (4 own characters + 3 NPC hires) when you go to a certain location so you can find and access it. I didn't see any hints about that in-game so finding it would have been just by pure luck.

I finished the last remaining character's story yesterday (Partitio) and next I'm heading to the final(?) moments of the game. But... some of the sidequests hinted that there's a certain someone from the first Octopath Traveler game present. Well, actually the game's original soundtrack already spoiled it for me. But I'm definitely going for full completion - including that certain someone. 

I have tried 3 of the 4 final bosses (i.e. getting annoyed with one and then trying the next one, etc) for my initial party and they're really kicking my ass. I picked up the Armsmaster secondary class for Hikari and I'm doing good damage on a charged Divine Warrior skill with Castti boosting attack power, but it's not enough. I eventually wipe even with two healers. Maybe I just suck but it sure feels like a huge difficulty spike. I even did some grinding for more levels, I think I'm 56 now, but it doesn't make much difference. My final attempt on Partitio's boss tonight was just cruel - I defeated the "extra enemies" and then did an overpowered attack with Hikari on the big bad. Right after that it brought back the extra enemies, and I think I had 1 turn to see it was still at "white health", then the enemies unleashed 3 or 4 moves that wiped my team (which was close to full health). That was pretty rage-inducing. 

I haven't tried the 4th boss (Hikari's), but with my luck it's the hardest of the 4. 😫 

I'll keep trying but I'm starting to get frustrated. I read a guide but it hasn't been much help. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I have tried 3 of the 4 final bosses (i.e. getting annoyed with one and then trying the next one, etc) for my initial party and they're really kicking my ass. I picked up the Armsmaster secondary class for Hikari and I'm doing good damage on a charged Divine Warrior skill with Castti boosting attack power, but it's not enough. I eventually wipe even with two healers. Maybe I just suck but it sure feels like a huge difficulty spike. I even did some grinding for more levels, I think I'm 56 now, but it doesn't make much difference. My final attempt on Partitio's boss tonight was just cruel - I defeated the "extra enemies" and then did an overpowered attack with Hikari on the big bad. Right after that it brought back the extra enemies, and I think I had 1 turn to see it was still at "white health", then the enemies unleashed 3 or 4 moves that wiped my team (which was close to full health). That was pretty rage-inducing. 

I haven't tried the 4th boss (Hikari's), but with my luck it's the hardest of the 4. 😫 

I'll keep trying but I'm starting to get frustrated. I read a guide but it hasn't been much help. 

Maybe these are already obvious to you, but I'll list some things just in case. 

If you have the thief class, you can try debuffing the boss (lower attack and lower defence). Don't forget attack, crit buffs, etc. on your big damage dealers. Recruiting some NPCs with the characters can help break the shields. The more you try different classes on your characters and purchase skills for them, the more you unlock useful support abilities that can make a difference. Remember you can utilize the latent power skills too. Also have you remembered to equip better gear? I often tend to forget to buy new gear myself in games and in the end I wonder why the game was so difficult. 😅

Oh yeah, and if you have only 4 characters so far, maybe that is the issue? Having access to all 8 different base classes and their skills might be the key to success. So maybe visiting the other parts of the world to recruit the rest of the characters would help. You can follow their stories at a later point (I think?) if you feel overwhelmed by following too many at the same time.

I hope you don't get totally discouraged by the game and find a way to overcome the boss fights!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I just finished Super Mario RPG and if you like Paper Mario, this is more like Paper Mario lite. Not as complex (just timing the A button), shorter (12-15 hours vs 20) and a bit easier to pick up and go (it's pretty linear but you can backtrack if you want easily). I would definitely recommend grabbing it if you are a fan of turn based RPGs. It's very humorous and was a joy to play.

I did learn that the double exp charm was super broken (Get it by exchanging frog coins). I gave it to Peach when I got her... she was on level 29 when I beat the game. Everyone else was level 23. She was practically unkillable with her skills and took as much damage as Bowser. It was fantastic. If you are struggling in the game, that will definitely break it for you, haha.

There's a lot to experiment I feel like with weapons and armor combos since a lot of them have their strengths and weaknesses. I made Geno a glass cannon for 80% of the game and was doing crazy damage and ending boss battles quickly. I enjoy it when you get benefits from equipment more than just defense.

Not sure what's next tbh. Part of me wants to start playing Tears of the Kingdom again since I have yet to beat it because I... well, enjoy screwing around too much. 😆 Either that, or Baiten Kaitos. 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I just finished Super Mario RPG and if you like Paper Mario, this is more like Paper Mario lite. Not as complex (just timing the A button), shorter (12-15 hours vs 20) and a bit easier to pick up and go (it's pretty linear but you can backtrack if you want easily). I would definitely recommend grabbing it if you are a fan of turn based RPGs. It's very humorous and was a joy to play.

I did learn that the double exp charm was super broken (Get it by exchanging frog coins). I gave it to Peach when I got her... she was on level 29 when I beat the game. Everyone else was level 23. She was practically unkillable with her skills and took as much damage as Bowser. It was fantastic. If you are struggling in the game, that will definitely break it for you, haha.

There's a lot to experiment I feel like with weapons and armor combos since a lot of them have their strengths and weaknesses. I made Geno a glass cannon for 80% of the game and was doing crazy damage and ending boss battles quickly. I enjoy it when you get benefits from equipment more than just defense.

Not sure what's next tbh. Part of me wants to start playing Tears of the Kingdom again since I have yet to beat it because I... well, enjoy screwing around too much. 😆 Either that, or Baiten Kaitos. 

I really enjoyed the Super Mario RPG remake as well. I never played the original and that felt like a gap in my gaming history, something that needed correcting! I bought Super Mario RPG and Super Mario Bros. Wonder at the same time at Christmas and played them back-to-back, had a blast with both.

My next Switch game is going to be Okami... another gap in my history, I never played it during the PS2 days. I can't remember why I bought it on Switch and not on PS other than I remember I bought it on sale, must have been the lowest sale price I'd seen on any platform. Or maybe the targeted marketing just caught me on the right day!

As a final aside, I've made the discovery that if you return to Ring Fit Adventure after a long time away from it, the game can kick your ass. Even if you feel like you're in otherwise decent shape.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
Typos
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

I really enjoyed the Super Mario RPG remake as well. I never played the original and that felt like a gap in my gaming history, something that needed correcting! I bought Super Mario RPG and Super Mario Bros. Wonder at the same time at Christmas and played them back-to-back, had a blast with both.

My next Switch game is going to Okami... another gap in my history, I never played during the PS2 days. I can't remember why I bought it on Switch and not on PS other than I remember I bought it on sale, must have been the lowest sale price I'd seen on any platform. Or maybe the targeted marketing just caught me on the right day!

As a final aside, I've made the discovery that if you return to Ring Fit Adventure after a long time away from it, the game can kick your ass. Even if you feel like you're in otherwise decent shape.

I was the same way! I never had the original. My cousin did though. I was really too young to ever play it. Really glad to bridge the gap and appreciate a classic with a fresh coat of paint.

Okami is such a classic. I own it on PS3 and kind of want to buy it again on Switch just to support it more, haha. I have such fond memories of the game. Hope you enjoy!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I finished Octopath Traveler 2's epilogue yesterday. Looks like I got a "symbol of completion" to the title screen even though I didn't do the superboss yet.

Pretty satisfying ending for the game but I prefer how the first game did it. This lacked the same kind of "mind blown" effect. My favorite stories were probably Ochette's and Castti's. Hikari's route had one particularly good and memorable moment but otherwise it felt too much like a traditional cookie cutter JRPG royalty story to me. Alrond was a fantastically entertaining side character and Temenos is just a hilarious contrast to what you'd expect from a cleric type character.

Anyways, I went to the last side quest I have left (superboss) and it didn't go well. It was downright brutal - I couldn't even clear the first phase on my first 3 or 4 tries. Looks like I'm going to need a guide for this one and possibly some grinding. Flashbacks to the first game except I think this is even harder.

Edited by Eyjabria
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

@Eyjabria No love for Partitio? I could listen to his theme song all day. It's so good!!

Well, Partitio was a fun character as well. The soundtrack is phenomenal as a whole (just like the first game's), with the exception of one area's music which gets on my nerves. We have the Japan imported OST playing in the car most of the time. The final boss music is my absolute favorite.

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 3:35 PM, Eyjabria said:

Maybe these are already obvious to you, but I'll list some things just in case. 

If you have the thief class, you can try debuffing the boss (lower attack and lower defence). Don't forget attack, crit buffs, etc. on your big damage dealers. Recruiting some NPCs with the characters can help break the shields. The more you try different classes on your characters and purchase skills for them, the more you unlock useful support abilities that can make a difference. Remember you can utilize the latent power skills too. Also have you remembered to equip better gear? I often tend to forget to buy new gear myself in games and in the end I wonder why the game was so difficult. 😅

Oh yeah, and if you have only 4 characters so far, maybe that is the issue? Having access to all 8 different base classes and their skills might be the key to success. So maybe visiting the other parts of the world to recruit the rest of the characters would help. You can follow their stories at a later point (I think?) if you feel overwhelmed by following too many at the same time.

I hope you don't get totally discouraged by the game and find a way to overcome the boss fights!

Thank, I'm not ready to give up just yet, but venting helps sometimes. Hikari is able to do around 20k damage with his Divine skill when he has the damage buff from Castti's latent skill. One area where I'm lacking is damaging multiple enemies. I think most of the final chapter boss fights have strong sidekicks (especially Partitio's boss) so that's more important than usual. I picked up Osvald after doing some reading, he seems like the best at crowd control. So now I'm using Castti (secondary Cleric), Hikari (secondary Armsmaster), Partitio (secondary Cleric), and Osvald (secondary Arcanist). My party is at level 58, except Osvald who obiously has to catch up (level 26 right now).

I used a guide to get the advice (and location) for Armsmaster and Arcanist. Time will tell if this will be enough. I should clarify that I don't enjoy "building" characters which maybe sounds weird given my love of JRPGs. For me this game has a good balance between giving options for combat without overwhelming me with too many choices on how to level up the characters (e.g. having to pick between branching skill trees - not a fan). For equipment I haven't bought much. When I am expected to compare weapons that are better in some ways and worse in others, I usually throw up my hands and give up. So I've mostly been using "Optimize All" when I find new weapons, although I always make sure to give Hikari back the sword that gives him the Armsmaster special attack (which reminds me I need to experiment with this more; I usually just go with his Warrior Divine Skill at level 4 attack). Similarly I often forget to buff and debuff, I tend to focus on breaking shields and healing. That's about as much as I can handle. 😄

On 5/8/2024 at 9:57 PM, ZitMeatloaf said:

My next Switch game is going to be Okami... another gap in my history, I never played it during the PS2 days. I can't remember why I bought it on Switch and not on PS other than I remember I bought it on sale, must have been the lowest sale price I'd seen on any platform. Or maybe the targeted marketing just caught me on the right day!

Both SM RPG and Okami are gaps in my gaming history - I think I own Okami on 4 platforms by now. Too many games!

15 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I finished Octopath Traveler 2's epilogue yesterday. Looks like I got a "symbol of completion" to the title screen even though I didn't do the superboss yet.

Pretty satisfying ending for the game but I prefer how the first game did it. This lacked the same kind of "mind blown" effect. My favorite stories were probably Ochette's and Castti's. Hikari's route had one particularly good and memorable moment but otherwise it felt too much like a traditional cookie cutter JRPG royalty story to me. Alrond was a fantastically entertaining side character and Temenos is just a hilarious contrast to what you'd expect from a cleric type character.

Anyways, I went to the last side quest I have left (superboss) and it didn't go well. It was downright brutal - I couldn't even clear the first phase on my first 3 or 4 tries. Looks like I'm going to need a guide for this one and possibly some grinding. Flashbacks to the first game except I think this is even harder.

This sounds a lot like my experience so far. Alrond is a lot of fun. Hikari is definitely more "boring" but he is my main damage dealer so he's here to stay. Of the ones I've played up to the final boss, Partitio and Agnea stand out as being down to earth and more interesting than the typical "save the world" story. Castti also but it's halfway there with the threat she faces.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, squaresoft4ever7 said:

Can't wait to trade in my Nintendo Switch for 50 cents towards the new Nintendo Switch 2 at GameStop 😏 

Wow! You'll get that much!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Icebrand1270 said:

I know there's not many fans of Nintendo Switch Online "Classics" here but I'm happy to play Super Mario Land once again!

Super Mario Land is great! What a great add!!! This was actually my very first game I remember playing...

With save states and all, playing these games I played when I was 4 or 5 is going to be so much better now. Haha.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Super Mario Land is great! What a great add!!! This was actually my very first game I remember playing...

With save states and all, playing these games I played when I was 4 or 5 is going to be so much better now. Haha.

Super Mario Land wasn't my first game... but it was the first game I ever beat! What a trip back in time for me! (Fun Fact: There's an "Expert Mode" if you press Start after seeing "The End" screen after beating the game!)

I just know the Classics can be a divisive topic (plenty of heated debates about what's there and what's not). I usually enjoy seeing what I missed in my childhood but this is a pleasant surprise (to celebrate the Game Boy turning 35 apparently).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Icebrand1270 said:

Super Mario Land wasn't my first game... but it was the first game I ever beat! What a trip back in time for me! (Fun Fact: There's an "Expert Mode" if you press Start after seeing "The End" screen after beating the game!)

I just know the Classics can be a divisive topic (plenty of heated debates about what's there and what's not). I usually enjoy seeing what I missed in my childhood but this is a pleasant surprise (to celebrate the Game Boy turning 35 apparently).

Yeah, there's plenty I still want to see (mostly N64, GBC, and GBA), but overall, I've been pretty satisfied with the selection. Even when I read complaints about adding games like "Iggy's Wrecking Balls," I was the dork that rented that game from a Family Video or Blockbuster as a kid. :P Doesn't bother me!

• Like 2

Mario Land is great, the first one was such a wonderfully weird game. But I let my NSO lapse. It was cool to have, but I never really used it...I'd play some things for a bit and not go back to them. The only classic I put extensive time into was A Link to the Past, and still never finished it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Mario Land is great, the first one was such a wonderfully weird game. But I let my NSO lapse. It was cool to have, but I never really used it...I'd play some things for a bit and not go back to them. The only classic I put extensive time into was A Link to the Past, and still never finished it. 

Funny you mention that because I heard a lot of people start games on them and never finish them, and then I think about the fact that I still haven't beat Earthbound, got stuck on Metroid Fusion, still have a Link to the Past file from like 2 years ago, am halfway through Banjo Kazooie, halfway through Fire Emblem (and accidentally deleted my save), etc.

In all fairness though, I have beat a ton of games like Super Metroid, Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Pokémon Snap, Pokémon Stadium (first round), Pokémon Puzzle League, etc. But I totally get where you are coming from haha.

• Like 1

This is uhhhh... concerning and strange, to say the least. Hopefully I'll still be able to pre-order a physical copy online from somewhere, as I'm not exactly able to go to any stores (outside of the nearby grocery that's in walking distance) via car while it's being fixed. lol

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

This is uhhhh... concerning and strange, to say the least. Hopefully I'll still be able to pre-order a physical copy online from somewhere, as I'm not exactly able to go to any stores (outside of the nearby grocery that's in walking distance) via car while it's being fixed. lol

Very strange indeed. I had next Friday off anyways and live a couple of miles from Walmart and Gamestop and was planning on grabbing it in store anyways so this isn't disastrous for me, but I'd be annoyed to shit if my pre-order was canceled...

• Like 2