Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

My issue with Palworld isn't that it's a rip off of Pokemon, it's that it's just a pretty lazy attempt to mash together a few different games/genres.  As soon as I start the game I'm greeted with a 2 second cutscene and a sound bite that feels like it was ripped directly from Breath of the Wild (only to find it also sloppily incorporated its climbing/traversal/stamina mechanics).  Take the most mediocre survival/crafting game you've ever seen or played and add a little more jank to it, and that's Palworld.  Then the Pokemon stuff.

Credit where credit is due though, they invented a better wheel as far as the Pokemon stuff goes.  That kind of freeform monster capturing and combat, and multiplayer, is what Pokemon fans have been clamoring for forever.

It's just a shame that honestly, this is probably the peak of the game.  I'm not totally sure why it's selling millions exactly, but the game has been in early access for years and novelty-aside still just feels slapped together.  The fact this game can make a studio into millionaires sets a weird precedent for the industry, and is why AAA devs are being transitioned to find that cheap money-printing repetitive multiplayer unicorn.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

To be quite honest, I want to see how this plays out. Usually, bullies like Nintendo (or Sony or MS) aren't actually forced to go to court to remedy these situations. Rather, they badger their smaller competitors with cease and desist orders, threatening to ruin them financially.

But with sales of this game soaring, such action would assuredly be countered by MS, so either it would go to court, or Nintendo will just cower in a corner. Either outcome is desirable.

I am surprised (though, not by much) at the cadre of Nintendolts who are crying foul, though. The existence of Palworld does absolutely nothing to their franchises, but they insist on defending their non-paying corporate sponsor to the death. As has been posted before, some of the comparisons "proving" plagiarism are positively laughable. But, I call them Nintendolts for a reason. The loudest ones are always the weakest ones, and this small fraction of the fanbase is certainly very loud.

4 hours ago, Zephrese said:

Disgusts me that people are sending death threats to the developers (especially over something so trivial), but it also doesn't surprise me in the slightest coming from Pokémon fans. 😕

That's unfair. Pokemon sales are the tens of millions for every outing. I doubt a fraction of a fraction of a fraction would ever consider sending death threats.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

That's unfair. Pokemon sales are the tens of millions for every outing. I doubt a fraction of a fraction of a fraction would ever consider sending death threats.

Most people wouldn't, period, but that's not something that needed to be pointed out to me either. Some Pokémon fans can be particularly foul or elitist, even by comparison to other fandoms. The size of the series, and thus the fandom, doesn't help things either. Obviously they're just a very vocal minority regardless, but the worst examples stick out quite a bit which is why the death threats don't surprise me.

Edited by Zephrese

20 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

Most people wouldn't, period, but that's not something that needed to be pointed out to me either. Some Pokemon fans can be particularly foul or elitist, even by comparison to other fandoms. The size of the series, and thus the fandom, doesn't help things either. Obviously they're just a very vocal minority regardless, but the worst examples stick out quite a bit which is why the death threats don't surprise me.

Pokemon is the #1 selling IP worldwide, even higher than Disney which also has it's share of toxic people, generalizing a fanbase based off the actions of a small group is taboo.  

It's not fandom as much as it is social media, food for thought. 

Edited by squaresoft4ever7
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, squaresoft4ever7 said:

generalizing a fanbase based off the actions of a small group is taboo. 

I didn't realize that I have to verbose everything I say to make it clear I wasn't referring to the fanbase as a whole (which would've been bizarre and dumb to do anyway) and instead just the bad examples, especially as someone who is a part of said fanbase themselves. lol

Edited by Zephrese

21 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

I didn't realize that I have to verbose everything I say to make it clear I wasn't referring to the fanbase as a whole (which would've been bizarre and dumb to do anyway) and instead just the bad examples, especially as someone who is a part of said fanbase themselves. lol

Fair lol 

• Like 1

So now my dilemma is, do I:

A, keep finishing up side quests and do the story DLC for XC3 to finish up the series (I've played them all but couldn't get into XCX, so I abandoned it)

B, take a break from XC3 to play Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

C, be insane and try to play both games together

I've done C before but I'm getting too old for that shit. 🤪 I'll probably go with A but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm excited to get started with Infinite Wealth. 

Also, funny aside but this morning I got a message on PS App that the IW preload failed, even though I have 200+ GB free on the internal drive. I guess it tried to download to the external USB or something equally stupid. 

• Like 3

Beat Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity today and it was pretty good. Not as memorable as Hyrule Warriors, but still fun nonetheless.

The story was good and seeing Hyrule prepare for the Calamity was awesome. It's a shame that the main villain sucked (downright the worst in the series) and latter-half being non-cannon due to time-travel nonsense. I still loved the cast and seeing Zelda getting the most character development was awesome.

Gameplay's exactly the same as HW as you're mowing down everything in sight and you get to use gadgets like remote bombs and stasis too. It did get grindy and repetitive by the end, as it's defeating the same enemies and following the same tasks again and again. 

The performance was poor in both docked and handheld modes with the frame-rate kept fluctuating and the low resolution didn't help. The voicework and music were great. I especially loved the post-game menu theme. 

All in all, Age of Calamity wasn't as great as the first HW and the performance issues dragged the exprience down. I did enjoy my time being a fan of Zelda but it definitely had the potential to be something better. 

Gonna take a break to play Tekken 8 and then pick up the Switch. Saw lots of buzz for Palworld but I'm not sure why there's a bunch of controversy since it looks pretty generic. Will check it out on Xbox.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

So now my dilemma is, do I:

A, keep finishing up side quests and do the story DLC for XC3 to finish up the series (I've played them all but couldn't get into XCX, so I abandoned it)

B, take a break from XC3 to play Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

C, be insane and try to play both games together

I've done C before but I'm getting too old for that shit. 🤪 I'll probably go with A but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm excited to get started with Infinite Wealth. 

Also, funny aside but this morning I got a message on PS App that the IW preload failed, even though I have 200+ GB free on the internal drive. I guess it tried to download to the external USB or something equally stupid. 

DLC is not too terribly long (especially if you don't do any side stuff), but I would be lying if I said that you would be able to avoid the side stuff because the focus on the DLC is exploration and you are rewarded heavily for going out of your way to kill x amount of enemies or open a chest in the middle of nowhere. 

• Like 1

I know everyone everyone is probably sick and god damn tired of hearing about this. I am too. Trust me. I am.

So this will be the last time I post about this. I promise. unless something else happens i guess

https://corporate.pokemon.co.jp/media/news/detail/335.html

The key part in this statement is 'We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon.'

So we'll see what happens I guess.

But yeah I'm done dealing with this BS too. Trust me. I am.

• Like 1

TPC doesn't have a case, so this just seems like a "covering their bases" kind of thing to me. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I know there were people in the community comparing models between the two and were subsequently caught lying and exaggerating the similarities, so that's uhhhh... interesting (and gross) to say the least.

Edited by Zephrese

On 1/24/2024 at 10:07 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

DLC is not too terribly long (especially if you don't do any side stuff), but I would be lying if I said that you would be able to avoid the side stuff because the focus on the DLC is exploration and you are rewarded heavily for going out of your way to kill x amount of enemies or open a chest in the middle of nowhere. 

Considering that XC1 is the only game where I didn't enjoy the side quests, I'm pretty sure I'll do everything reasonable in XC3 DLC. It's been a while since I played XC2 so I can't remember if I did everything, but I did for Torna, XC1 DLC, and am working on doing it for XC3. The trend is pretty obvious. 😀

I figured out the PS5 preload issue, apparently if you add a second NVMe drive to the PS5 in its expansion slot, despite setting it to "Always Install PS5 Games Here", it doesn't work for preloads. Seems like an obvious bug, but whatever. It's already installed on the expansion slot after I manually fixed it. I have a feeling I'll finish up XC3 before tackling that game.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Considering that XC1 is the only game where I didn't enjoy the side quests, I'm pretty sure I'll do everything reasonable in XC3 DLC. It's been a while since I played XC2 so I can't remember if I did everything, but I did for Torna, XC1 DLC, and am working on doing it for XC3. The trend is pretty obvious. 😀

I figured out the PS5 preload issue, apparently if you add a second NVMe drive to the PS5 in its expansion slot, despite setting it to "Always Install PS5 Games Here", it doesn't work for preloads. Seems like an obvious bug, but whatever. It's already installed on the expansion slot after I manually fixed it. I have a feeling I'll finish up XC3 before tackling that game.

XC3 DLC is probably the best DLC I've played on the Switch or from Nintendo. Just enough changes to make it feel new and fresh, but not enough to make it overwhelming. The story was also pretty awesome too. Lots of connections to the first 2 games and you know we love to see that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2024 at 8:41 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

XC3 DLC is probably the best DLC I've played on the Switch or from Nintendo. Just enough changes to make it feel new and fresh, but not enough to make it overwhelming. The story was also pretty awesome too. Lots of connections to the first 2 games and you know we love to see that. 

Awesome.

I also found a list of side quests online, and compared to my in-game list. I have 45 quests left to do, plus 3 or 4 ascension quests. Looks like I'll be on XC3 for a while. 😀

And this is for the base game, I haven't started Future Redeemed yet...

• Like 1

Played and beat Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on DS over the week. Awesome game and a really good sequel to Aria of Sorrow.

The Tactical Soul system where you absorb enemy abilities was really fun and the late boss fights were a nice challenge. Having another screen to view the full map was handy though I hated the touch inputs that you nees to do to beat bosses.

I liked the anime artstyle though I would've preferred the traditional Castlevania style. Soundtrack was great too. Aria is the better game but Dawn comes close. Hoping they remaster the DS trilogy in the future since I really want to play Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 11:19 AM, MosesRockefeller said:

Awesome.

I also found a list of side quests online, and compared to my in-game list. I have 45 quests left to do, plus 3 or 4 ascension quests. Looks like I'll be on XC3 for a while. 😀

And this is for the base game, I haven't started Future Redeemed yet...

Did you get the secret heroes yet?

Beat Mario Wonder earlier. What a game man...What. A. Game! For all intents and purposes this game shares A LOT with the New Super Mario Bros. series, and it's not like it's reinventing the wheel for Mario stories, so it's a wonder (heh) to me why this game sucked me in so much and those didn't. But I can safely say a sequel announcement in the future would be one of those games I'd get pretty hyped for...like force me to a buy a Switch 2 if I don't have it yet kind of hype, even though I don't want them to wear it out like they did NSMB, but definitely one of my top games I've played on the Switch so far. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 3

On 2/2/2024 at 1:16 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Yes.

I have 2 ascension quests left, and 40-ish side quests. After that I'll probably move onto Future Redeemed.

1 ascension quest and 15 side quests left. I'm saving the final ascension quest (which is one of the secret heroes) to be the finale for me playing the game.

I stumbled onto one of the superbosses by accident and ran away. Now that I have all the classes unlocked and have no more use for CP, I leveled up to 99. I ran into a unique monster that was level 96 I think, and wiped fighting it, so I don't think I'm able to take on any superbosses. I would probably need to optimize my equipment and classes to do that, and at this point I'll probably just finish up the side quests and move on to Future Redeemed.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 6:20 PM, Zephrese said:

TPC doesn't have a case, so this just seems like a "covering their bases" kind of thing to me. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I know there were people in the community comparing models between the two and were subsequently caught lying and exaggerating the similarities, so that's uhhhh... interesting (and gross) to say the least.

I wish TPC would focus on making an actual Pokemon game that didn't need a million updates and DLC to be decent. 

The last 4 gens have ranged from mediocre to garbage.