Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

11 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Ah, there were rumors going around at launch the disc only contained the tutorial and the day one patch added the game in

Just assumptions, but fair ones at that. IIRC the install size was like 6 or 7 gig and the patch was 8 or so initially. Fair to assume, but yeah, the whole base game can be played without the internet. There's 7 odd levels in the base game and another 3 free DLC ones,  so even still, pretty much a third of the game is in the updates. 

Too bad the level editor was lazier than the original one in THPS2, because a community full of kickass level designs could have kept the game alive for years with the hardcore Hawk kids. I remember spending hours in THUG trying to make a playable South Park looking level for example. The editor was a really cool bonus in the earlier games, but number 5 is so barebones it was about the only thing that could have saved it, and they fucked it up.

Somehow though, I was playing on Xbone the other day and there was actually still a fair few people fucking around in free play mode on every level I bopped into, so that's nice and surprising, but somehow I don't think it's good enough to sort out the licensing issues and make a real follow up. I enjoy THPS 5, but even I can't deny it's a pile of shit. A defendible pile of shit, but a pile of shit nonetheless.

I'd play every THPS again up to thps5 any day of the week, Bringing on multiplayer and trophy support would be a great addition. Gap checklist everything and add a hidden character, I have all thps on ps1,n64, original xb, dc, ngc, 360, ps3 and now ps4. Wait, I'm sidetracked because someone mentioned thps.

I have not bought the new Mario yet, after finishing Fallout 3 on ps3 and Shadowman on Dreamcast I'll be ready to go.

Me: I'll buy Telltale Batman's 2 pack thing on Switch if it's like 50 bucks. I've already played the first and they can both be got for under 25 separately, but I'm down, I'll pay 50 for a two pack.

Telltale:

IMG_20171101_153515.jpg

Me: Well, guess not.

2 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

I'd play every THPS again up to thps5 any day of the week, Bringing on multiplayer and trophy support would be a great addition. Gap checklist everything and add a hidden character, I have all thps on ps1,n64, original xb, dc, ngc, 360, ps3 and now ps4. Wait, I'm sidetracked because someone mentioned thps.

I have not bought the new Mario yet, after finishing Fallout 3 on ps3 and Shadowman on Dreamcast I'll be ready to go.

THPS 1 is nothing special retrospectively, some fun levels though. Still good fun overall.

THPS 2 is great.

THPS 3 is great and has reverts.

THPS 4 is less great, but still pretty damn great.

THUG is pretty great too.

THUG 2 is shit, unless you mean Classic Mode, Classic Mode is great. Overall though, eh.

THAW is underrated as fuck and is arguably the best one. Punk as heck.

THDJ is okay I guess for a Wii game.

THPG is okay I guess, I guess.

THP8 is okay, I mean, I guess. I don't know.

Ride is shit.

Shred is shit.

THPSHD is alright, I dig it.

THPS 5 is underrated as fuck also. Still one of the worst, but it's playable and quite fun with no internet screwing it up. Still pretty average, but it's better than anything since THAW.

So with that, you've got

7 Eh games

5 Great games

2 Completely shit games

Which then turns into my usual stance on it: Just go play some THPS 3 and chill, that's what I did a couple hours ago and it works for me.

THPS4 has one of the best soundtracks imo

THUG2 Classic mode all the way

THPS2X on original Xbox, I imported this and then modded/reflashed the xbox

Shred and Ride are both pretty shit

THPS original on the DC is pretty good for it's time, excellent roster and soundtrack, officer dick I guess.

THUG With that final trick off the rooftop it looks like you miss every time but inexplicably it works out

THAW Has probably the best soundtrack of all and me being a punk kid had fun with this one

Edit time: Thps3 has no gap checklist unless it's the n64 version. I prefer the NGC version tbh but I want that gap checklist.

Edited by Z1MZUM

1 hour ago, Z1MZUM said:

THPS4 has one of the best soundtracks imo

THUG2 Classic mode all the way

THPS2X on original Xbox, I imported this and then modded/reflashed the xbox

Shred and Ride are both pretty shit

THPS original on the DC is pretty good for it's time, excellent roster and soundtrack, officer dick I guess.

THUG With that final trick off the rooftop it looks like you miss every time but inexplicably it works out

THAW Has probably the best soundtrack of all and me being a punk kid had fun with this one

Edit time: Thps3 has no gap checklist unless it's the n64 version. I prefer the NGC version tbh but I want that gap checklist.

First have legit incredible soundtracks. THPS 4 introduced me to some of my favorite bands like Distillers, Goldfinger, and so on. THPS 3 introduced me to Zebrahead, who I've since seen every time they've come to Australia and hung out with.

Classic Mode is the tits. THAW had it as well I think.

Never got THPS2X, I know it won't be, but god damn I want that to be put on the Xbox OG list.

Yup.

Never played the DC version, I think it's just a cleaned up version with no real new content anyway. I'm not knocking the game, it's a great first entry no doubt, but like, it's hard to go back to 2 from 3 and beyond and remove reverts, they are pretty damn integral, but going that step further and removing manuals (which were introduced in THPS2) completely changes the game for me and kills just about every combo outside of sick grinding skills.

THUG was pretty good. Like, the story was nothing amazing, but it did the trick. THUG 2's story was fucking tripe.

Shit yeah for THAW's songs man, all those punk covers of classics too man, really shows the clout THPS used to have when they could pull in bands like Fallout Boy, Green Day, and My Chemical Romance in the height of their fame to do some covers. Alkaline Trio's cover of Wash Away is etched into my brain forever and was the song that got me into them for a bit too, just an all round good soundtrack, much better than the Underground ones, which still weren't too bad overall anyways.

I have the PS1 and PS2 versions of THPS 3 on disc, and the GameCube and N64 versions illegally downloaded, and I've spent forever in all the versions, but I don't think I've looked at the gap list once. Maybe I should, when I fired it up before I had every goal, every stat, every deck, every everything, but probably not every gap, I should go look. Would be dope to find out I actually have the lot and have done every single thing in the game after all these years.

• Like 1

That's another aspect of the THPS series that was always huge for me %100 everything and this is well before trophies. Which is relevant on the switch thread because of course we have no trophies and I'm going to want to %100 mario. Speaking of which, I once played a GTAVC Mod of Mario skateboarding the VC map in thps style.

On the n64 I have an Everdrive cart and THPS3 is right there, So I don't own the original and I don't think we got a pal release?. I've also got the ps1 and 2 versions of thps3 and thps4, thps4 on the ps1 is really pushing the hardware and it's the only ps1 game I have in a regular cd case instead of the regular PAL fat cases. I still own all the others, just roms for the N64. In fact the first thps I played was the original on my pc using an n64 emulator so after that I went a bit mental and followed the entire series. My goal was to %100 every game and I managed to do this minus THPS5, it will happen though a new HDD means a new download of that freaking update.

I did like THUG allot, particularly the combos you could pull off at the train station near the beginning. For it's time it was a big risk to leave the normal formula but it really did work well in my mind. It amazes me to this day how badly they screwed up the Bondi map in THUG2 but at least the sound track has 1970.

I completely agree with your thoughts on thps2 vs thps, i was lucky to have experienced thps first so thps2 was a pretty amazing upgrade. Thps3 just seemed a bit weird after thps2 with no gap checklist unlock, but I got used to it.

I better say switch at least once.

3 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

That's another aspect of the THPS series that was always huge for me %100 everything and this is well before trophies. Which is relevant on the switch thread because of course we have no trophies and I'm going to want to %100 mario. Speaking of which, I once played a GTAVC Mod of Mario skateboarding the VC map in thps style.

On the n64 I have an Everdrive cart and THPS3 is right there, So I don't own the original and I don't think we got a pal release?. I've also got the ps1 and 2 versions of thps3 and thps4, thps4 on the ps1 is really pushing the hardware and it's the only ps1 game I have in a regular cd case instead of the regular PAL fat cases. I still own all the others, just roms for the N64. In fact the first thps I played was the original on my pc using an n64 emulator so after that I went a bit mental and followed the entire series. My goal was to %100 every game and I managed to do this minus THPS5, it will happen though a new HDD means a new download of that freaking update.

I did like THUG allot, particularly the combos you could pull off at the train station near the beginning. For it's time it was a big risk to leave the normal formula but it really did work well in my mind. It amazes me to this day how badly they screwed up the Bondi map in THUG2 but at least the sound track has 1970.

I completely agree with your thoughts on thps2 vs thps, i was lucky to have experienced thps first so thps2 was a pretty amazing upgrade. Thps3 just seemed a bit weird after thps2 with no gap checklist unlock, but I got used to it.

I better say switch at least once.

THPS 5 is nowhere near as bad as all the reviews dude, definitely worth jumping in. I picked up the Xbox copy a year or so back for 10 bucks at Big W, already had the PS4 but ten bucks, I couldn't say no. It's definitely not great, but I mean, it's halfway decent if you grab all the updates and the 3 free DLC levels, then kill the internet because the thing works so much better disconnected. Anyway, if you stumble into a copy for 10 bucks, it's well worth that. Nothing over 15 or 20 though.

I reckon I might try to sneak in another playthrough of THUG before summer hits. I don't really like using the fatty PS3 in Melbourne summer, we hit 40 a decent bit and I'm like, this thing's over 10 years old, I don't want it to die because I got lazy and played in the summer. 

I never choose goofy stance, always Switch

Now I'm good too.

6 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Me: I'll buy Telltale Batman's 2 pack thing on Switch if it's like 50 bucks. I've already played the first and they can both be got for under 25 separately, but I'm down, I'll pay 50 for a two pack.

Telltale:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20171101_153515.jpg

Me: Well, guess not.

PSN right now

Batman 1 for PS4, 11.97

Batman 2 for PS4, 27.97.

Just under 40 bucks, meanwhile they want 70 for only season one? Yeah nah.

So many discussions, so little time to respond...

... Yes, I like getting games digitally more and more. All the benifits together weigh up against the dangers of an online store closure and not beign able to sell them on again.

On Telltale: they are horrible with sales, expect Batman to be under twenty in less than half a year.

New topic: I'm now in doubt about L.A. Noire.

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013752007-L-A-Noire-on-Nintendo-Switch-Storage-Requirements

Long story short: the digital game is 29GB and the cart version requires an additional 14GB of free space. This means that they cheaped out and got the 16GB carts while there are 32GB carts available, yet STILL they dare ask an extra €10 for physical.

I was getting the digital version anyway, but 29GB is a lot of storage to keep occupied forever (I wanted L.A. Noire on Switch so I could play a case whenever I feel like it). What's weird is that the PS4 version is only 18GB in size and every size I compared up to now had the Switch as the smaller one. It seems to me like the Switch is getting a lazy port, not a good one.

I was going to buy L.A. Noire right away and I was still in doubt about Skyrim, but I'm now thinking I might just hold off on L.A. Noire until at least it's cheaper and I might get Skyrim sooner. Skyrim is 14.3GB on Switch, compared to 19.4GB on PS4.

4 hours ago, Cubone said:

I was going to buy L.A. Noire right away and I was still in doubt about Skyrim, but I'm now thinking I might just hold off on L.A. Noire until at least it's cheaper and I might get Skyrim sooner. Skyrim is 14.3GB on Switch, compared to 19.4GB on PS4.

Hmm. I am considering both games but I will wait for reviews and impressions from you guys. Realistically I'll still be playing SMO and Mario+Rabbids for a large chunk of this month, so I don't need a new "large" game yet. 

I am honestly more interested in Xenoblade 2 than Skyrim, but even then I'm not sure I'll get it at launch. The beginning of December does give me enough time to finish these two Mario games, so maybe that is a good time to pick up a new one. 

I'm also on the fence with LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2. I'm definitely getting it, but I'm not sure I need it day one, especially since LEGO games ALWAYS go on big sales relatively quickly. It would be fun to have a game I could let my toddler mess around with in co-op though. 

I had a feeling EA would do something like this.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/01/ea-not-ready-to-commit-to-making-more-nintendo-switch-games?abthid=59fa0347373f5eea6c00000c

Well, FIFA 18 was stripped down on Switch, so I figured that it'd sell not as well as it does on PS4 and X1, then EA would use that to justify not supporting Switch anymore. Well, what can I say? EA is a bunch of dicks.

6 hours ago, Karlsson89 said:

Doom even needs a download of 23 GB for owners of the physical version (source), I wonder how long it will take publishers to chase away those willing to buy their games on Switch instead of PS4. The least Nintendo could do would be to allow external HDDs.

Yeah I'm trying for %100 physical copies like the Vita TV at this stage due to storage and the fact that I like a physical copy. External HDD would be something for the future I guess but maybe in docked mode only? unless you wanted to carry around a usb hdd on an umbilical cord.

11 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Hmm. I am considering both games but I will wait for reviews and impressions from you guys. Realistically I'll still be playing SMO and Mario+Rabbids for a large chunk of this month, so I don't need a new "large" game yet. 

I am honestly more interested in Xenoblade 2 than Skyrim, but even then I'm not sure I'll get it at launch. The beginning of December does give me enough time to finish these two Mario games, so maybe that is a good time to pick up a new one. 

I'm also on the fence with LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2. I'm definitely getting it, but I'm not sure I need it day one, especially since LEGO games ALWAYS go on big sales relatively quickly. It would be fun to have a game I could let my toddler mess around with in co-op though. 

I haven't played the first Xenoblade yet but the series might be too heavy on the J in JRPG for me.

As for LEGO, I used to play them all with the missus but it seems like now with the Switch we finally have enough co-op alternatives - Snipperclips (new DLC incoming), Picross S, Putty Pals... If she had enjoyed Mario Kart we might have been set for life.

LEGO is probably still the way to go with young kids though.

10 hours ago, Karlsson89 said:

Doom even needs a download of 23 GB for owners of the physical version (source), I wonder how long it will take publishers to chase away those willing to buy their games on Switch instead of PS4. The least Nintendo could do would be to allow external HDDs.

Supposedly the single player campaign is on the cart with DOOM and you'll have to download the multiplayer but I don't feel like that explains the full 23GB.

8 hours ago, Blissey said:

I had a feeling EA would do something like this.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/01/ea-not-ready-to-commit-to-making-more-nintendo-switch-games?abthid=59fa0347373f5eea6c00000c

Well, FIFA 18 was stripped down on Switch, so I figured that it'd sell not as well as it does on PS4 and X1, then EA would use that to justify not supporting Switch anymore. Well, what can I say? EA is a bunch of dicks.

Cancelling Battlefront II is beginning to look more and more appealing... Some days ago it was revealed that they closed on the single non-Battlefront (and non-multiplayer) Star Wars game they had in development. EA acquired the Star Wars game monopoly almost five years ago and all we've got to show for it is two Battlefront games.

I pre-ordered Battlefront II mostly because I could get it for€19 plus two used games. Figured I'd play through the single player campaign and sell the game on to someone who wants the multiplayer, so I should break even on that, playing the game for free. And then, in EA's stats, I'd be another person buying the game who doesn't pay for microtransactions, or even plays multiplayer at all.

3 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Cancelling Battlefront II is beginning to look more and more appealing... Some days ago it was revealed that they closed on the single non-Battlefront (and non-multiplayer) Star Wars game they had in development. EA acquired the Star Wars game monopoly almost five years ago and all we've got to show for it is two Battlefront games.

I pre-ordered Battlefront II mostly because I could get it for€19 plus two used games. Figured I'd play through the single player campaign and sell the game on to someone who wants the multiplayer, so I should break even on that, playing the game for free. And then, in EA's stats, I'd be another person buying the game who doesn't pay for microtransactions, or even plays multiplayer at all.

Hell, might as well. That little for a few hours of enjoyment? If you aren't gonna worry about the trophies, go for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blissey said:

Hell, might as well. That little for a few hours of enjoyment? If you aren't gonna worry about the trophies, go for it.

At your first line I thought you meant 'might as well cancel' :)

Yeah I'm not worried about the trophies at all. I'm just interested in playing through the story campaign once, maybe redo some stuff if afterwards it turns out that I could get some more easy trophies but I'm not looking at the trophy list before I've done a first playthrough.

The game is reported to be about 5-7 hours, about the same as the last Rogue Squadron game (which also had on-foot sections so Battlefront II might be a spiritual successor to that). So I should be able to get through it in the weekend it releases, and it should be easy to sell it on again.

I noticed a page or two back a little Vita is dead trashing, trust me while Vita may be " dead" in the west but there are still a lot of Japanese titles coming out every month. I think we can blame western audiences for its death more than Sony or the machine itself. 

Anyway still loving me some Mario Rabids and just picked up Mario Odyssey this afternoon. What I am really missing on the Switch though is rhythm games. Can anyone recommend any, at this stage all I really play on Vita is rhythm games but would be happy to move them over to Switch

Edited by CjShai

44 minutes ago, CjShai said:

I think we can blame western audiences for its death more than Sony or the machine itself. 

Nope.

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

Supposedly the single player campaign is on the cart with DOOM and you'll have to download the multiplayer but I don't feel like that explains the full 23GB.

I will confirm on release day. I have no interest in multiplayer, so I'll be playing as long as I can without any downloads and see how I do.

Also, today, instead of buying Morphite on Switch, I bought an Xbox 360, 2 controllers, 4 games, and a 60gb hard drive for 60 bones. All the games are back compat too. I'm the worst.

I'm getting more and more into buying Skyrim on the Switch. Would be cool to explore an hour or two and then do some farming in Stardew Valley.

1 hour ago, CjShai said:

I noticed a page or two back a little Vita is dead trashing, trust me while Vita may be " dead" in the west but there are still a lot of Japanese titles coming out every month. I think we can blame western audiences for its death more than Sony or the machine itself. 

Absolutely not. If Sony and devs don't bring games that appeal to the western audience, then the death of the Vita (outside of Japan and fans of J-games) is on them, not on us. That's like blaming me for the failure of the Wii U because I didn't buy it since I didn't see any appealing games on there.

1 hour ago, CjShai said:

Anyway still loving me some Mario Rabids and just picked up Mario Odyssey this afternoon. What I am really missing on the Switch though is rhythm games. Can anyone recommend any, at this stage all I really play on Vita is rhythm games but would be happy to move them over to Switch

I really liked +Rabbids and I am loving Odyssey, even now that I have played almost as many hours post-story as during the story.

Rythm: don't know exactly what would qualify as a rhythm game but I can think of three: Voez, Just Dance, Dark Witch Music Episode: Rudymical. Also, Runner3 is supposed to release soon, a rhythm platformer(at least Runner2 was a rhythm platformer, but it seems like 3 will be as well).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Nope.

25 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Absolutely not. If Sony and devs don't bring games that appeal to the western audience, then the death of the Vita (outside of Japan and fans of J-games) is on them, not on us. That's like blaming me for the failure of the Wii U because I didn't buy it since I didn't see any appealing games on there.

Also, today, instead of buying Morphite on Switch, I bought an Xbox 360, 2 controllers, 4 games, and a 60gb hard drive for 60 bones. All the games are back compat too. I'm the worst.

With no due respect ( I know that is a highly offensive phrase but I enjoy saying it ?) I totally disagree with you. If you bothered to learn some Japanese many of those games would open up to you. To be honest any "gamer" playing a Sony console with no Japanese understanding is humourous to me, make the effort guys, it's not that hard. Of course you are Nintendo players so Japanese ..........cmon

Edited by CjShai

10 minutes ago, CjShai said:

With no due respect ( I know that is a highly offensive phrase but I enjoy saying it 1f61c.png) I totally disagree with you. If you bothered to learn some Japanese many of those games would open up to you. To be honest any "gamer" playing a Sony console with no Japanese understanding is humourous to me, make the effort guys, it's not that hard. Of course you are Nintendo players so Japanese ..........cmon

Wait what? You are not seriously linking the failure of the Vita to western audiences not bothering to learn an entire new language...

You claim the fault is with us for not "bothering" to learn Japanese, and not "making an effort", which is more offensive to me than how you start your post.

I love Japanese cinema but I'm not into J-games at all, having tried several games with English texts, so it has nothing to do with a language barrier. Now you can like those games if you want, I have always defended people's rights to like whatever they want as long as it's not hurtful to others, but the failure of the Vita does not lie with the audience, period. 

Saying stuff like that is quite stupid, frankly. If you want a western audience for something you try to appeal to their tastes, you're not going to say that the western audience is at fault and should like different things. Now if you like the Vita, fine, but it has not much appeal to people who are not into J-games and forcing those people to try to enjoy J-games is definitely not the answer.

And what has being a Nintendo player got to do with being into Japanese stuff? A lot of Nintendo games appeal to western audiences, their game releases and advertisements are built on what they think works for Japan, for Europe, for America... Nintendo did not have a success with the Switch because they forced J-games down everyone's throats, they have different release schedules (or even releases at all) for different markets. That's what they understand, and you and Sony do not. If you want a western audience, you appeal to their tastes, not have them fall in line with your own tastes.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CjShai said:

With no due respect ( I know that is a highly offensive phrase but I enjoy saying it 1f61c.png) I totally disagree with you. If you bothered to learn some Japanese many of those games would open up to you. To be honest any "gamer" playing a Sony console with no Japanese understanding is humourous to me, make the effort guys, it's not that hard. Of course you are Nintendo players so Japanese ..........cmon

Well, with all due disrespect, you're wrong and you sound like an idiot.

First of all "If you bothered to learn some Japanese" is not a defense of anything, and definitely not a reason the console died, my focus on the English language and the western games market has nothing to do with why the Vita died. I could buy every Japanese game out there and the Vita would still tank.

Second, I just finished reading your whole thing and you're either trolling or a complete idiot. And in either case, you're still wrong. A: Learning another language is definitely more effort than it's worth for some games, B: Playing something made by a Japanese company without knowing any Japanese is humorous to you? I find it humorous that you think to be an "honest gamer" you need to be bilingual and buy a bunch of shitty looking Japanese games that don't interest most people in this side of the world, but I find it really humorous that you think you're a better gamer than someone else because you play some Japanese stuff. Well, guess what? I just played an hour or so of Quake 3, and you know what, if you haven't played that game recently you're a shit gamer because you haven't played one of the best shooters of all time in the last 3.2 hours so you're shit and I'm better than you and that's that and I'm totally not just a condescendingly snobbish wanker.

But with insulting and whatnot out of the way, I'll get to the real reason Vita failed since apparently you missed it. Here's a nice list and you can pick any five or so reasons from it and you'll see why it failed.

Competition from iOS and Android

Really high priced console

Ridiculously high priced memory cards that were almost as much as the console

Piss all first party support

Piss all third party support

3DS is cheaper

3DS has more games

No physical backward compatibility versus 3DS being compatible with thousands of old games

Terrible reviews / reception

Downgraded ports of games

All the good exclusives ended up elsewhere anyway (Gravity Rush, Tearaway, AC Liberation, etc.)

Half the time the games were just 3DS games anyway (see Spy Hunter, anything Lego, etc.)

The 100+ dollar memory cards again

3G signal was shit, locked to certain carriers, and cost more anyway

No PS3 Remote Play despite it being both promised, and possible through hacking

Shitty / lazy ports like the Jak trilogy

The thing was a huge ugly clunky thing 

Games on your phone are really good nowadays, and you already have a phone

"Nobody else bought one, so who am I gonna play with if I buy one" syndrome

Commonly recognized for only being an indie station

Still overpriced

Not supported at all by Sony, by which I mean on the hardware side

PS TV was a great idea, but too little, too late

Barely anyone sold the things as it was

Shitty marketing is shitty

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Wait what? You are not seriously linking the failure of the Vita to western audiences not bothering to learn an entire new language...

You claim the fault is with us for not "bothering" to learn Japanese, and not "making an effort", which is more offensive to me than how you start your post.

I love Japanese cinema but I'm not into J-games at all, having tried several games with English texts, so it has nothing to do with a language barrier. Now you can like those games if you want, I have always defended people's rights to like whatever they want as long as it's not hurtful to others, but the failure of the Vita does not lie with the audience, period. 

Saying stuff like that is quite stupid, frankly. If you want a western audience for something you try to appeal to their tastes, you're not going to say that the western audience is at fault and should like different things. Now if you like the Vita, fine, but it has not much appeal to people who are not into J-games and forcing those people to try to enjoy J-games is definitely not the answer.

And what has being a Nintendo player got to do with being into Japanese stuff? A lot of Nintendo games appeal to western audiences, their game releases and advertisements are built on what they think works for Japan, for Europe, for America... Nintendo did not have a success with the Switch because they forced J-games down everyone's throats, they have different release schedules (or even releases at all) for different markets. That's what they understand, and you and Sony do not. If you want a western audience, you appeal to their tastes, not have them fall in line with your own tastes.

Firstly, I'm not attacking anyone here I always enjoy a good argument but how can you call my view offensive when you have the arrogance to assume all things should be in English. It is not the manufacturer's language, let alone the dominate language of the planet earth. I don't blame you for taking offence it is always the easiest line to take when someone is challenging. But perhaps you should check your premise, should any Japanese speaker feel inferior by extension to your logic. Now we both know you don't imply that. 

4 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Well, with all due disrespect, you're wrong and you sound like an idiot.

First of all "If you bothered to learn some Japanese" is not a defense of anything, and definitely not a reason the console died, my focus on the English language and the western games market has nothing to do with why the Vita died. I could buy every Japanese game out there and the Vita would still tank.

Second, I just finished reading your whole thing and you're either trolling or a complete idiot. And in either case, you're still wrong. A: Learning another language is definitely more effort than it's worth for some games, B: Playing something made by a Japanese company without knowing any Japanese is humorous to you? I find it humorous that you think to be an "honest gamer" you need to be bilingual and buy a bunch of shitty looking Japanese games that don't interest most people in this side of the world, but I find it really humorous that you think you're a better gamer than someone else because you play some Japanese stuff. Well, guess what? I just played an hour or so of Quake 3, and you know what, if you haven't played that game recently you're a shit gamer because you haven't played one of the best shooters of all time in the last 3.2 hours so you're shit and I'm better than you and that's that and I'm totally not just a condescendingly snobbish wanker.

But with insulting and whatnot out of the way, I'll get to the real reason Vita failed since apparently you missed it. Here's a nice list and you can pick any five or so reasons from it and you'll see why it failed.

Competition from iOS and Android

Really high priced console

Ridiculously high priced memory cards that were almost as much as the console

Piss all first party support

Piss all third party support

3DS is cheaper

3DS has more games

No physical backward compatibility versus 3DS being compatible with thousands of old games

Terrible reviews / reception

Downgraded ports of games

All the good exclusives ended up elsewhere anyway (Gravity Rush, Tearaway, AC Liberation, etc.)

Half the time the games were just 3DS games anyway (see Spy Hunter, anything Lego, etc.)

The 100+ dollar memory cards again

3G signal was shit, locked to certain carriers, and cost more anyway

No PS3 Remote Play despite it being both promised, and possible through hacking

Shitty / lazy ports like the Jak trilogy

The thing was a huge ugly clunky thing 

Games on your phone are really good nowadays, and you already have a phone

"Nobody else bought one, so who am I gonna play with if I buy one" syndrome

Commonly recognized for only being an indie station

Still overpriced

Not supported at all by Sony, by which I mean on the hardware side

PS TV was a great idea, but too little, too late

Barely anyone sold the things as it was

Shitty marketing is shitty

Please don't call me a troll, I have read many of your posts, and I don't resort to nastiness. I don't intend to pick a fight with you but perhaps you could show me a little respect, as I do you. I like a good argument, obviously your view is largely predicated by your current position in life. Do not be surprised that mine is likewise. 

22 minutes ago, CjShai said:

Firstly, I'm not attacking anyone here I always enjoy a good argument but how can you call my view offensive when you have the arrogance to assume all things should be in English. It is not the manufacturer's language, let alone the dominate language of the planet earth. I don't blame you for taking offence it is always the easiest line to take when someone is challenging. But perhaps you should check your premise, should any Japanese speaker feel inferior by extension to your logic. Now we both know you don't imply that. 

You misunderstand my point.

I'm not arrogant to assume all thing should be in English. I don't assume that at all, but I'm saying that you should not expect millions of people to learn a new language just to play a few games. That's what's arrogant.

If you want to get an audience, you should appeal to that audience. I do not blame any of you for not having read any books by Herman Brusselmans. I'm not going around saying his books don't do well internationally because nobody bothers with learning our language. If the publisher had wanted the books to be popular with other audiences, they should have translated the books.

What you're doing, blaming the audience for not learning a new language, is backwards. Something only in Japanese (or only in Dutch, or Italian) will naturally have a smaller audience than something in English, or even better, something with multiple language options.

I loved the Death Note anime series and live action movies (the old ones, not the new Ntflix one). I read the Battle Royale book multiple times. I want the Switch to get Ace Attorney, Pokémon and Zelda games. I do not learn Japanese to appreciate these works, I pick a translated version. If I have to learn a new language every time I want to see, read or play something, I'd never be finished as I would have needed to learn at least two dozen new languages already.

If you release something in one language and then blame people who don't know that language for not taking an interest in your product, that's a bad business practice. You should realise by now that I'm from a small country whose language no foreigners ever try to learn, so I'm not attacking Japanese specifically here. I know fully well that if I want to release something to a wider audience, I don't stick to Dutch and then blame you all for not trying to learn Dutch.

Edited by Cubone
  • Like 1