Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On 11/5/2017 at 5:33 AM, Jimin said:

Also, anyone else excited for Shin Megami Tensei V?

Yes me, Very very excited to have an actual smt game. How long since a non hand held has had one? PS2 and Nocturne aka Smt 3. Imo Smt 3 was way better then Smt 4 with both game play and story.

Edit: Just wow, that was 14 years ago.

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Shiny Suicune said:

I know that really sucks :( But I hope you can get it as well

We'll see how well the game is received and how many other games I can get through, I guess. Inreally want L.A. Noire digitally and downloaded at all times so I can do a case whenever I feel like it, so 30GB is quite a commitment.

Damn Nintendo for not making 32GB cartridges more easily available for devs, and damn Take-Two for wanting to deliver the exact same experience to Switch as to PS4 and X1 instead if just compromising a little bit.

I bought it digitally day one but I wanted a physical copy. Plus the physical copy you get the original puzzles but you become a different shape each time making it rather interesting lol

As far as I know, the DLC has that random shape replay thing as well. The original game with added DLC should have the exact same stuff as the cartridge version, and at 1GB I'm not in a rush to kick it out. Party games are things I want to keep on there at all times for sure.

I do have a physical board game lol Its Monopoly Gamer Mario edition. I have all pieces and its very different from the original play.

Only reason why I bought the game is so we do not have to write down everything to keep track lol. Its kinda hard for like 4 people at once, at least the game does it for us lol

Well, if it's worth it for you then who am I to judge :)

I have the Star Wars edition by the way. The old one with the original trilogy. One of the few items I own which actually has a limited edition numbered sticker on it.

I know right? I like the family style games in Switch because it is fun. You actually have fun with the family members just as if it is a board or xard game. :)

I grew up on playing with others on SNES and N64, to the point of still getting a Wii so Icould do golf/bowling and Mario Kart and stuff with people. It's great to have this back, especially now that there are even more different games we could play.

1 hour ago, Z1MZUM said:

Edit: Just wow, that was 14 years ago.

Yeah, weird isn't it. Thanks to your post I now figured out that I've been console gaming for almost 25 years now.

Just now, Cubone said:

Yeah, weird isn't it. Thanks to your post I now figured out that I've been console gaming for almost 25 years now.

Congrats on your chosen lifestyle, I'm an Atari child and there's no going back. It's nice to see the 2600 games in COD WW2. If any of you have this game? Go to the R&R tent in the headquarters.

Did anybody notice Starlink: Battle For Atlas?

At first I thought it was just another space exploration game, one with added toys-to-life stuff at that, but the way it works for the Switch looks brilliant.

Some of the vehicles also look really really cool, I think. Ubisoft has stated that the figurines will be 100% optional, and you can play the entire game just by digital download.

Should be with split-screen multiplayer, according o wiki. SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

Seeing as how Ubisoft is doing since Watch_Dogs 2 - reinventing old franchises like Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed, doing weird fun stuff like Mario+Rabbids, I kind of have a lot of trust in this game.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/12/15786836/starlink-battle-for-atlas-ubisoft-nintendo-switch-peripheral-e3-2017

ubisoft_starlink_switch_controller.gif

ubisoft-starlink-8947-004.jpg

Come to think about it, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, have you played Morphite yet? It looks like No Man's Sky with less budget and less bullshit.

2 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Congrats on your chosen lifestyle, I'm an Atari child and there's no going back. It's nice to see the 2600 games in COD WW2. If any of you have this game? Go to the R&R tent in the headquarters.

I started on the SNES, and stayed with Nintendo until, during the days of the Wii, I got annoyed that I couldn't play stuff like GTA IV and I bought an X360. Yes, I am very glad that the Switch rebuilds the trust I lost in Nintendo during the GameCube, Wii and Wii U days.

Edited by Cubone
multiplayer!

4 hours ago, Cubone said:

Seeing as how Ubisoft is doing since Watch_Dogs 2 - reinventing old franchises like Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed, doing weird fun stuff like Mario+Rabbids, I kind of have a lot of trust in this game.

Come to think about it, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, have you played Morphite yet? It looks like No Man's Sky with less budget and less bullshit.

WatchunderscoreDogs is an old franchise now?

I haven't yet. I really, really wanted to, but I gotta wait for the bank to send out my new card before I can pick up anymore eShop cred. TBH I'd have got off my arse today and done it by other means, but Sonic is gonna be in my hands in about 9 or 10 hours from now and that's gonna take up my time anyway. Here's hoping by the time I'm done with the glorious month of November's games, that Morphite goes on sale around Christmas. It does look quite up my alley, especially since I actually dug NMS for a bit (mind you I didn't give a single fuck about it until I rented it from the library solely because people were pissed about it, I've since looked into it, and yeah, fuck Sean Murray the whole way, but I still enjoyed the thing).

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

WatchunderscoreDogs is an old franchise now?

/sarcasm.

Watch_Dogs 2 is certainly better than the first game, and the first to me felt like the same old stuff even though it was a new game.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I haven't yet. I really, really wanted to, but I gotta wait for the bank to send out my new card before I can pick up anymore eShop cred. TBH I'd have got off my arse today and done it by other means, but Sonic is gonna be in my hands in about 9 or 10 hours from now and that's gonna take up my time anyway. Here's hoping by the time I'm done with the glorious month of November's games, that Morphite goes on sale around Christmas. It does look quite up my alley, especially since I actually dug NMS for a bit (mind you I didn't give a single fuck about it until I rented it from the library solely because people were pissed about it, I've since looked into it, and yeah, fuck Sean Murray the whole way, but I still enjoyed the thing).

Yeah No Man's Sky is decent enough for what it is but so much was promised and lied about that it's just not funny for people who fell for it.

I was semi-interested in Morphite, I liked Elite Dangerous on PS4 as well, but Starlink: Battle For Atlas seems like it will be the go-to game for me.

Well, I just noticed on the eShop that Octodad: Dadliest Catch is coming to the Switch next Thursday. Sign me up for a day one purchase!

Yes, I already bought and 100%ed the game on PS4 over three years ago and I did replay the game on the Vita, but I honestly love this weird little game and it's one of the first things I'd recommend if someone asks for a unique experience.

Seriously y'all, it's just €14 and it provides you with two to three hours of fun, excluding two free DLC levels (hope those come to the Switch as well) and replays. And the bonus is, for extra weirdness you could play in co-op with up to three other llayers and each control part of the main character!

9 hours ago, Cubone said:

/sarcasm.

Watch_Dogs 2 is certainly better than the first game, and the first to me felt like the same old stuff even though it was a new game.

Yeah No Man's Sky is decent enough for what it is but so much was promised and lied about that it's just not funny for people who fell for it.

I was semi-interested in Morphite, I liked Elite Dangerous on PS4 as well, but Starlink: Battle For Atlas seems like it will be the go-to game for me.

I was tired man.

I agree it's a better game, but even though the story in WD1 was nothing special, I found it leeeeeagues better than those drop kick millennial douchebag criminals in the sequel. I can get behind vengeance and Aiden to an extent, but I can't really fight for a group of anarchists trying to bring down the system when they have no idea of how to make it better. If you got some constructive ideas, run for local council, go about that shit through the proper channels, but mostly, have some ideas. These guys had none, they just didn't like being spied on so they put tonnes of people's lives in danger and broke countless laws. I get their point, but there's better ways to go about it, but mostly, don't complain about the system if you don't have a better system in your mind. Everything everywhere is getting more and more connected, and instead of using their immense computer skills to help usher in a better digital age, they just went around causing destruction for the sake of it. I get that there's a whole other side to it, and that their side does have points too, so if you wanna side with them then I ten out of ten agree with your decision, because both sides have points, but ultimately, for me personally, if you don't have a solution, don't cause another problem.

I still haven't played it post patch. I really wanted to get a moon buggy but never got around to it. I really should. Fuck Sean Murray though.

When I eventually get it, you can be sure to find my longwinded review of it on here.

Also, I just realized I have popped the big three oh and own 30 Switch games, I've played more than 30, but I officially own 30 of them now. Yay me. I've still got a good 25 or so gig on my memory card free, but they'll be killed by Doom and LA Noire, but I haven't touched the internal storage so I should be right for a while anyways.

59 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Watchdogs 2 was fun because blowing up hipsters is actually more satisfying then killing Nazis.

Never been more proud of Australia and our people than I am right now.

So.

I got Sonic Forces.

And I come home, and my freaking dock doesn't wanna work. Try new cords, swapping cords, different TVs even, nothing. Lights up green like usual, charges the Switch even, but the Switch screen still stays on. So anyway, I rang EB and they were really good about it (honestly sometimes I forget why I hate them as a whole, then I remember) and basically I'll swing in tomorrow while I'm already out and they'll have a new dock sitting there for me, and I mentioned the joy con desync issue in passing, not because I wanted a new one or anything (I have been meaning to though) and the guy said he'd grab a new set of them for me too. So anyway, I'll be getting a new dock and joy con set tomorrow which is cool. If it doesn't work though, and I have an issue with the main Switch console, that leaves me in a pickle, since Nintendo is too stupid to let us back up our saves onto the memory card. Though tbh, starting over would be a good reason to replay a few Switch games. Not long after beating Zelda I completely dropped it, same with many other games I had a blast playing through.

Anyway, I have a code for preordering that gets you the Shadow costume in the game if anyone wants it. I'd use it myself, but they made the content free for everyone on the store, not sure if it's the same in every other region or not, so if it's not free and you want it, hit me up, though I'd imagine it'd be free for everyone since it's just a costume.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I was tired man.

I agree it's a better game, but even though the story in WD1 was nothing special, I found it leeeeeagues better than those drop kick millennial douchebag criminals in the sequel. I can get behind vengeance and Aiden to an extent, but I can't really fight for a group of anarchists trying to bring down the system when they have no idea of how to make it better. If you got some constructive ideas, run for local council, go about that shit through the proper channels, but mostly, have some ideas. These guys had none, they just didn't like being spied on so they put tonnes of people's lives in danger and broke countless laws. I get their point, but there's better ways to go about it, but mostly, don't complain about the system if you don't have a better system in your mind. Everything everywhere is getting more and more connected, and instead of using their immense computer skills to help usher in a better digital age, they just went around causing destruction for the sake of it. I get that there's a whole other side to it, and that their side does have points too, so if you wanna side with them then I ten out of ten agree with your decision, because both sides have points, but ultimately, for me personally, if you don't have a solution, don't cause another problem.

4 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Watchdogs 2 was fun because blowing up hipsters is actually more satisfying then killing Nazis.

@Z1MZUM basically states why I enjoyed WD2 more - it was actually fun to play. WD1 might have a better story and a more driven protagonist, and WD2 might have had blatant millennial pandering (seriously, I thought it was a parody at first), but WD2 is actually fun to play.

I don't need to agree with a main character to enjoy playing them, the only PC in GTA V I enjoyed as a person ironically was Trevor, but I didn't mind playing as the other two.

I still haven't played it post patch. I really wanted to get a moon buggy but never got around to it. I really should. Fuck Sean Murray though.

That's twice now so I get the feeling you want me to say it as well, here goes: fuck Sean Murray

Also, I just realized I have popped the big three oh and own 30 Switch games, I've played more than 30, but I officially own 30 of them now. Yay me. I've still got a good 25 or so gig on my memory card free, but they'll be killed by Doom and LA Noire, but I haven't touched the internal storage so I should be right for a while anyways.

I've played more than twenty now, don't think I've hit thirty yet but it will probably happen before the end of the year.

3 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

So.

I got Sonic Forces.

Let me know what you think of it. I eventually bought Sonic Mania at full price and enjoyed myself but I'm not a Sonic fan in general (Mania is the third Sonic game I've played more than a few minutes, after &Knuckles and Generations) and Forces gives me zero interest to play it. I'm hoping me and the many others on the internet are wrong and the game is awesome but having the demo only on the Japanese site as well as only a minute per level long, and once again putting more than half of the game in 2.5D gameplay does not give me any trust in the game.

Shame about your dock, by the way.

In other news, the missus and me got through Picross S, all with hints turned off. 't was a fun game, and 25-30 hours of playtime isn't bad at all. I might reset the puzzles at some point and do them on my own if we're on a holiday and I want to do something more relaxing than the games I usually have.

This Thursday or Friday we'll get the Snipperclips DLC so that's the next co-op venture. I'm hoping she will enjoy Starlink so we can co-op that but movements in a 3D plane, spaceships and shooting are three things she really isn't looking for in a game.

It's cool that so many games are coming out for the Switch that are co-op but unfortunately it's always difficult to find something my wife will enjoy playing too. Things like Shovel Knight and Blaster Master Zero can be shut down after she's heard the music for a mere two seconds.

6 hours ago, Cubone said:

Let me know what you think of it. I eventually bought Sonic Mania at full price and enjoyed myself but I'm not a Sonic fan in general (Mania is the third Sonic game I've played more than a few minutes, after &Knuckles and Generations) and Forces gives me zero interest to play it. I'm hoping me and the many others on the internet are wrong and the game is awesome but having the demo only on the Japanese site as well as only a minute per level long, and once again putting more than half of the game in 2.5D gameplay does not give me any trust in the game.

Heh, I finished the first level in Sonic Mania, and I was thinking it was enjoyable enough... then I played the second level with those stupid underwater areas where I suddenly died trying to jump on a platform. After a bunch of attempts I had enough and dropped the game. Fuck that game. I never owned a SEGA console growing up, so I guess I'm biased, but this game highlights why I like Mario and dislike Sonic. If the fans are correct in saying this is a authentic homage to the best Sonic games, then that series is 100% not for me. 

I'm glad it's fun for people who like the series though. But it is not for me. If I could play a Sonic game that wasn't just focused on speed, and I could actually see where I'm going and jumping, I might enjoy it. It might as well be an endless runner as far as I'm concerned, and I hate them too. Ugh. 

On a more positive note, I'm enjoying Super Mario Odyssey but I'm taking my time. I just got to the Snow Kingdom. After I finish the main story I think I'll go back and finish the story in Mario+Rabbids, then come back to SMO for the post-game content. I doubt I'll go for 100% completion, but I'll hang onto the game and revisit it from time to time. At this rate I don't know when I'll be ready for my next big game on Switch. I will probably grab Xenoblade Chronicles 2 despite not playing the two previous games in the series (even though I have them both), or I might wait a bit and catch up on the indies I have piling up on my Switch. And I still have the PS4 and older consoles of course. I just finished the main story in AssCreed Syndicate, so once I knock out the side missions and Jack the Ripper DLC, I'll be ready to move on to Origins, which is still in its shrink wrap. Or maybe I'll "switch" gears before diving back into AC. 

Also, slightly off topic but I read a post on Gamefaqs that reminded me why it's a horrible place (for user forum posts that is, the FAQs and tips are handy). Somebody was complaining that Nintendo was pandering to SJWs because the Wedding Peach Amiibo unlocks a wedding dress for Mario to wear in SMO. That's the problem with kids these days, they haven't experienced enough of the world to realize stuff like guys wearing wedding dresses is a time-honored comedic gag. Also, when has Nintendo ever pandered to anybody? They do their own thing and always have. Damn, that stupid comment annoyed me. This applies to so much of the world today, but what the hell is wrong with people??? 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

52 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also, slightly off topic but I read a post on Gamefaqs that reminded me why it's a horrible place (for user forum posts that is, the FAQs and tips are handy). Somebody was complaining that Nintendo was pandering to SJWs because the Wedding Peach Amiibo unlocks a wedding dress for Mario to wear in SMO. That's the problem with kids these days, they haven't experienced enough of the world to realize stuff like guys wearing wedding dresses is a time-honored comedic gag. Also, when has Nintendo ever pandered to anybody? They do their own thing and always have. Damn, that stupid comment annoyed me. This applies to so much of the world today, but what the hell is wrong with people??? 

FWIW, for every person complaining about pandering to "SJWs" or whatever... you have someone else complaining if the game didn't have the ability for Mario to wear a wedding dress because it's offensive to them as someone who is male but identifies as female and likes to wear wedding dresses.

To answer your question... what's wrong with people?  They've lost the ability to pick their battles, and know when to shut up.

Probably because there aren't enough people in their lives telling them to.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

FWIW, for every person complaining about pandering to "SJWs" or whatever... you have someone else complaining if the game didn't have the ability for Mario to wear a wedding dress because it's offensive to them as someone who is male but identifies as female and likes to wear wedding dresses.

To answer your question... what's wrong with people?  They've lost the ability to know when to shut up.

Probably because there aren't enough people in their lives telling them to.

Yeah, exactly. I'm all for more options for gamers to identify with the player character(s). I work with people who fall into some of those categories and I think more options is better for everyone. Even if you don't want to go that far though, I think it's pretty silly to complain about ONE dress costume for Mario when he has DOZENS of "male" options to wear. 

And yeah, you're right about people not knowing when to shut up... I see another high-profile celebrity is shutting down a Twitter account due to that very problem. I always liked that old adage of "better to be silent and let people think you're an idiot, than to say something and prove you are."

39 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, exactly. I'm all for more options for gamers to identify with the player character(s). I work with people who fall into some of those categories and I think more options is better for everyone.

Well, my point was that it's less about "hey, why not, more options are better for everyone" for some people, and more about "GTAV has 3 main characters and none of them are female??  rabble rabble sexist rabble rabble misogyny rabble rabble this game doesn't speak for me but every game should rabble rabble!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gSQg1i_q2g

Edited by Dreakon13

53 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Heh, I finished the first level in Sonic Mania, and I was thinking it was enjoyable enough... then I played the second level with those stupid underwater areas where I suddenly died trying to jump on a platform. After a bunch of attempts I had enough and dropped the game. Fuck that game. I never owned a SEGA console growing up, so I guess I'm biased, but this game highlights why I like Mario and dislike Sonic. If the fans are correct in saying this is a authentic homage to the best Sonic games, then that series is 100% not for me. 

I'm glad it's fun for people who like the series though. But it is not for me. If I could play a Sonic game that wasn't just focused on speed, and I could actually see where I'm going and jumping, I might enjoy it. It might as well be an endless runner as far as I'm concerned, and I hate them too. Ugh. 

I really liked Sonic Mania but it's the first Sonic game I enjoyed to this extent. And I still prefer games like Shovel Knight. I enjoyed Mania more than I thought I would though.

On a more positive note, I'm enjoying Super Mario Odyssey but I'm taking my time. I just got to the Snow Kingdom. After I finish the main story I think I'll go back and finish the story in Mario+Rabbids, then come back to SMO for the post-game content. I doubt I'll go for 100% completion, but I'll hang onto the game and revisit it from time to time. At this rate I don't know when I'll be ready for my next big game on Switch. I will probably grab Xenoblade Chronicles 2 despite not playing the two previous games in the series (even though I have them both), or I might wait a bit and catch up on the indies I have piling up on my Switch. And I still have the PS4 and older consoles of course. I just finished the main story in AssCreed Syndicate, so once I knock out the side missions and Jack the Ripper DLC, I'll be ready to move on to Origins, which is still in its shrink wrap. Or maybe I'll "switch" gears before diving back into AC. 

Yeah I'm at just over 350 moons now and I'm putting more focus on PS4 gaming for the KYC event. Next big games for me on the Switch are most likely Skyrim and possibly L.A. Noire but I'm already spending a lot of time in Stardew Valley and it'll be many hours before I get through Golf Story, I think.

You must have been reading Gamefaqs for a very short time if you found only one thing that annoys you. I occasionally check the Switch board to see if they found any new news stuff or leaks but damn is that site toxic.

I'm somewherr on the fence on SJWs. I'm very openminded myself (and identify as '+' in LGBT+) and I do think it's good to include people (I think everyone should be allowed their own sexual identity and preferences, as long as nothing nonconsensual is involved), which would already make me an SJW in some people's eyes, but I do think that some people take it a bit too far. As in, I hate it when people make non-straight characters a selling point of their work. In my version of a perfect world, media works could feature a non-straight character without making a big deal about it. Like in The Last Of Us and the DLC. There are a couple of gay (maybe bi) characters in the story but Naughty Dog never made a big deal about this.

Now the Mario wedding dress thing, that's bullshit. All kinds of amiibo unlock all kinds of costumes, it'd be ridiculous not to have Mario run in a Peach outfit as well. I'm slightly peeved they didn't include characters like Donkey Kong or Zelda or Link or Pikachu, since they DID include Diddy Kong for some reason.

28 minutes ago, Cubone said:

As in, I hate it when people make non-straight characters a selling point of their work. In my version of a perfect world, media works could feature a non-straight character without making a big deal about it. Like in The Last Of Us and the DLC. There are a couple of gay (maybe bi) characters in the story but Naughty Dog never made a big deal about this.

I think I understand the end-game of making such a big deal out of it (even if the people making the big deal don't realize it).  Right now it can be a bit much... but it's a long uphill battle to get people to understand something that has been taboo (for lack of a better term) for so long, and 20 years from now when people have moved on to the next great social cause, in their wake will be a more natural, ingrained understanding and integration of all different kinds of people.  And that's the way it should be.

Edited by Dreakon13

3 minutes ago, Cubone said:

You must have been reading Gamefaqs for a very short time if you found only one thing that annoys you. I occasionally check the Switch board to see if they found any new news stuff or leaks but damn is that site toxic.

True. It's one of those weird things where I can't really explain why I visit the site. I don't scroll through the forums or anything, thankfully. I just tend to check the front page each day and skim through the 10 or so forum posts that are shown on that feed. I probably should stop even looking at it. I do find the gaming news feed to be helpful though. It's a nice condensed list that has many times informed me about something I didn't see elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, Cubone said:

I'm somewherr on the fence on SJWs. I'm very openminded myself (and identify as '+' in LGBT+) and I do think it's good to include people (I think everyone should be allowed their own sexual identity and preferences, as long as nothing nonconsensual is involved), which would already make me an SJW in some people's eyes, but I do think that some people take it a bit too far. As in, I hate it when people make non-straight characters a selling point of their work. In my version of a perfect world, media works could feature a non-straight character without making a big deal about it. Like in The Last Of Us and the DLC. There are a couple of gay (maybe bi) characters in the story but Naughty Dog never made a big deal about this.

Yeah, in a perfect world I think games, movies, etc. would be like the Last of Us DLC in terms of featuring non-straight characters. I don't think any reasonable people enjoy things thrown in their face if it feels artificial. I mean, if it's part of the game's theme, sure. Duke Nukem Forever throws the hetero sexuality of Duke Nukem in the player's face, but that's part of the game's motif. Going back to the Last of Us example, if the game had a bunch of dialog with Joel saying "damn I love banging women" it wouldn't fit the themes of the game. 

I'm also very openminded, and I don't buy the argument that more inclusion leads to people getting married to their pets. That is nothing like the argument that we should encourage people to identify the way they want. I don't want to get into the whole SJW thing because that whole topic is poisonous, like politics (my state is electing a new governor today, ending a very toxic campaign cycle that I'll be glad to see over). 

The thing is, games are designed with story and characters. Even multiplayer games are giving their characters backstories now, like Overwatch for example. Complaining about GTA V not having female player characters is something that on the surface I understand, but it's kind of missing the point. There are bigger issues with the story from the inclusion perspective than just the player characters. I don't remember any female characters in the game being "important" except for maybe that housewife that Trevor kidnapped. Is it unreasonable to want Rockstar to make GTA VI with a plot that veers off from male fantasy stereotypes a bit? I don't think it is, but if they choose to keep making games with the standard storyline, that's their prerogative. I would suggest that gamers looking for inclusive games would enjoy something like AC Syndicate more than GTA V. I just finished the main story in the game over the weekend and I never felt like it had a female player character "just to have that option". It made sense from a story perspective and I enjoyed the story a lot. 

20 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Now the Mario wedding dress thing, that's bullshit. All kinds of amiibo unlock all kinds of costumes, it'd be ridiculous not to have Mario run in a Peach outfit as well. I'm slightly peeved they didn't include characters like Donkey Kong or Zelda or Link or Pikachu, since they DID include Diddy Kong for some reason.

Exactly. I was sad that using my Yarn Yoshi amiibo didn't unlock a costume. By the way I was happy when I found my Yarn Yoshi about 2 weeks ago. It had ended up in one of our toy boxes because my wife thought it was a toy (she's not a gamer). I added to the confusion by letting my now 3-year-old play with it as a younger baby, and I took a break from Nintendo games at the time (which was a dumb move, considering my Wii U and 3DS backlog). Now that I'm spending more time with my Wii U, 3DS, and Switch, I'm happy to have my Yoshi back. I just have to keep it away from our dog... he loves chewing up soft toys and even destroyed my Smash Mario amiibo. 

I am still in the "avoiding all spoilers for SMO" stage, but I keep seeing links pop up with lists of unlocks. For those of you that don't mind reading spoilers, could someone answer a question? Are there any amiibo unlocks that provide exclusive costumes that can't be bought in-game? I had assumed that only the new SMO amiibos had costume unlocks (and probably other Peach, Mario, and Bowser variants since they are mostly interchangeable in games that support amiibo), but you mentioned Diddy Kong and I've heard other names mentioned in the past. 

17 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I think I understand the end-game of making such a big deal out of it (even if the people making the big deal don't realize it).  Right now it can be a bit much... but it's a long uphill battle to get people to understand something that has been taboo for so long, and 20 years from now when people have moved on to the next great social cause, in their wake will be a more natural, ingrained understanding and integration of all different kinds of people.  And that's the way it should be.

Yeah, these things take time. I mean the US civil rights movement reached its tipping point 50 years ago and we're still struggling with that. 

I think social media, especially Twitter, makes the people "making big deals" seem louder and more numerous than they actually are. It comes with that territory. In an alternate 2017 without social media, I think things would seem very different. 

22 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The thing is, games are designed with story and characters. Even multiplayer games are giving their characters backstories now, like Overwatch for example. Complaining about GTA V not having female player characters is something that on the surface I understand, but it's kind of missing the point. There are bigger issues with the story from the inclusion perspective than just the player characters. I don't remember any female characters in the game being "important" except for maybe that housewife that Trevor kidnapped. Is it unreasonable to want Rockstar to make GTA VI with a plot that veers off from male fantasy stereotypes a bit? I don't think it is, but if they choose to keep making games with the standard storyline, that's their prerogative. I would suggest that gamers looking for inclusive games would enjoy something like AC Syndicate more than GTA V. I just finished the main story in the game over the weekend and I never felt like it had a female player character "just to have that option". It made sense from a story perspective and I enjoyed the story a lot. 

I don't remember any woman being important in Reservoir Dogs for example. Still it's a kick ass Film.

What's this to do with anything? If Rockstar wants to have a wiener-only story so be it.

Never understood that.

There are literally thousands of fantastic pieces of female-only media. The whole gender debate in media is absolutely bollocks nowadays.

Edited by Joker

I am starting to regret mentioning that Gamefaqs post. What have I unleashed? 

Here's a screen I grabbed from SMO yesterday. 

Spoiler

23213366_1713983168620954_74368170479353

I love how the New Donk City people talk and dress like 1920's movie characters. I do think the city itself is a weird environment to be jumping around in as Mario though. Why does everyone else look like normal humans and Mario looks like a cartoon character? Is he an alien? Are they aliens? What are the ramifications for the Mario universe??? :P

29 minutes ago, Joker said:

I don't remember any woman being important in Reservoir Dogs for example. Still it's a kick ass Film.

What's this to do with anything? If Rockstar wants to have a wiener-only story so be it.

Never understood that.

There are literally thousands of fantastic pieces of female-only media. The whole gender debate in media is absolutely bollocks nowadays.

The gender debate is not bollocks in a time when the makers of Battlefront II and Horizon Zero Dawn get called out for having a 'dirty SJW agenda' just because they have a female lead (and Battlefront II gets it too for having her be non-white), while other devs claim to keep doing male characters because females aren't as profitable because the audience wants male characters. Combined with Marvel desperately keeping their heroes straight, white and male (finally making a little difference with upcoming Captain Marvel and Black Panther films), while people make YouTube vote bots to make the female Ghostbusters the most disliked video...

When it's all-male, all-straight it's supposed to be fine, but with even one game having a non-white, non-male, non-straight playable character people cry foul.

That's not normal behaviour and in my opinion we shouldn't just gloss over that kind of behaviour.

Many people who are not involved with any of these minorities often brush it aside with an 'why would it be an issue' but in such cases it would be better to stand together against the hate. Not everything has to be all-male, all-white, all-straight but not nearly enough works dare to push themselves away from that norm.

Moving on to more positive discussions...

@MosesRockefeller I recently started collecting amiibo, mainly as being collectables, and I bought a Mega Yarn Yoshi on a sale. It's so sweet...

Not going to reply to your big post by the way but I generally agree with the points that you're making.

People, you really all should give Octodad a try. I'll play it myself right away, I'm going to try and see if the missus enjoys co-op and I'm going to surprise a few friends by giving them a controller each and just starting the game.

13 minutes ago, Cubone said:

The gender debate is not bollocks in a time when the makers of Battlefront II and Horizon Zero Dawn get called out for having a 'dirty SJW agenda' just because they have a female lead (and Battlefront II gets it too for having her be non-white), while other devs claim to keep doing male characters because females aren't as profitable because the audience wants male characters. Combined with Marvel desperately keeping their heroes straight, white and male (finally making a little difference with upcoming Captain Marvel and Black Panther films), while people make YouTube vote bots to make the female Ghostbusters the most disliked video...

When it's all-male, all-straight it's supposed to be fine, but with even one game having a non-white, non-male, non-straight playable character people cry foul.

That's not normal behaviour and in my opinion we shouldn't just gloss over that kind of behaviour.

Many people who are not involved with any of these minorities often brush it aside with an 'why would it be an issue' but in such cases it would be better to stand together against the hate. Not everything has to be all-male, all-white, all-straight but not nearly enough works dare to push themselves away from that norm.

I am a 100% with you. The problem is that people with a positive mindset tend to get 'preachy'. And I think that is also the wrong way.

You know what I see when there's Jennifer Lawrence, Idris Elba, Kevin Spacey and Peter Dinklage?

Good actors.

I am just not able to give a single fuck about their sexual preference, gender or color or size or whatever.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Moving on to more positive discussions...

It's an extreme meeting an extreme.  Claiming HZD is a problem for having a female lead is the equivalent to the people claiming GTAV is a problem for not having a female lead.  Both arguments are stupid IMO, neither are a "problem".

I also wish people wouldn't try and grab the last word and "end it" like this.  If your going to contribute to a discussion, contribute... if you don't like a discussion, don't contribute or ignore it and "move on to more positive discussions" without firing more shots.

Edited by Dreakon13

6 minutes ago, Joker said:

I am a 100% with you. The problem is that people with a positive mindset tend to get 'preachy'. And I think that is also the wrong way.

You know what I see when there's Jennifer Lawrence, Idris Elba, Kevin Spacey and Peter Dinklage?

Good actors.

I am just not able to give a single fuck about their sexual preference, gender or color or size or whatever.

I agree. Don't know if you saw my post a few above where you quoted Moses but my first point in the discussion was being on the fence, since while I do think everybody should be able to feel included in our society (and this makes me an SJW in some people's eyes), I also feel like some people can take it too far, like advertising their minority character for the sake of having one. As I said in that earlier post, in a perfect world characters could be gay or straight or whatever and it would neither be a problem nor a reason for extra attention.

Speaking of Kevin Spacey, I feel very sad about the news about him. It must be very hard growing up unsure of your sexual identity in the society of a few decades ago. I'm not defending what he (allegedly) did, I'm just thinking that he's a victim too, in a way, that's just never an excuse to make victims yourself.

It's an extreme meeting an extreme.  Claiming HZD is a problem for having a female lead is the equivalent to the people claiming GTAV is a problem for not having a female lead.  Both are stupid IMO, neither are a problem.

Agreed, see above. I can enjoy The Expendables, I can enjoy the new Ghostbusters, and it shouldn't have to be deeper than that statement.

I also wish people wouldn't try and grab the last word and "end it" like this.  If your going to contribute to a discussion, contribute... if you don't like a discussion, don't contribute or ignore it and "move on to more positive discussions" without firing more shots.

I'm not trying to have the last word, I feel fine with continuing the discussion. I just felt like posting some other stuff as well, that's all. I just 'moved on' within one post, sorry if my wording was unclear. Not a native English speaker, with 'moving on' I didn't mean I wanted to close the debate at all.