Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

23 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Forgot there's another Aussie in the midst. Always worth hitting up Target and Big dub dude. Wouldn't be caught dead paying EB or JB's prices, damn do I miss K-Mart selling games though.

__________________________TO EVERYONE____________________________

Y'all talking about game lengths. My short opinion while the missus is showering and Billie's down and I have a minute, is that a good game's a good game. I'd rather replay the shit out of a five hour great game than spend fifteen hours slogging through a good game that drags too long. Plus, for me at least, the replayablity is way higher the shorter the game is. I have replayed Spidey 3 on PS2/PSP countless times, but only clocked the bigger, longer, boring-er PS3 version like 3 or 4 times tops. I'll talk more later. Bye people! Also I bought a NS Special thing, I forgot the name, the MayFlash thing. Bye!

I try to get to Target or the Big Dubbawa first, pity neither had bomberman but this game they'll definitely have. Got some real bargains at Tar Jay in the past like all of the wii and wii u zelda games. They tend to carry some great games like ff12 so it's always worth a look.

The MayFlash is fantastic if you like the Wii U pro controller or xb1, I paid about $28 dollars for it. I use the cronus max on the ps3/ps4 combined with the xbox one controller.

In preparation for SMO, I have been steadily working through the 3D Mario's to 100% (the only one I won't get there is 3D World, because I'm going to hold off on having to beat the game several times over to get the 5 star profile). It's also nice, because I've been slowly converting my consoles to digital backwards compatibility machines, especially a good time with -- on a more unrelated note -- the advent of OG Xbox games on the One (KOTOR! PIRATES! CRIMSON SKIES! AND NOW OFFICIALLY ALL THE FABLE GAMES ARE ON THERE (even though Fable: TLC is the 360 Anniversary version, technically)!), and the slightly sadder news of Wii's WiiShop closing (but on the plus side, I've officially bought enough off there that between my Wii U and Wii VC libraries, that the prospect of tracking down a SNES Classic just seems redundant now sans playing the unreleased Star Fox 2 completely legally, which I'm not really in a rush to play it).

So far, I've managed to 100% SMG, SMG2, SM64, SMS, and SM3DL over the past couple of months. I love 3D World, but oddly, it's the only 3D Mario game I have not nor ever 100%'ed, and I've owned it since launch. It's a fun concept, but I'm very eager to return to a more SMS style of game.

But back to the BC bit - even with basically rebuying a lot of Wii games on my Wii U, and even upgrading quite a few of my Wii VC to Wii U VC, I'm still eagerly anticipating some form of announcement of a Switch VC, hopefully with GCN support so I can finally put my GCN and/or BC Wii to rest.

14 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Game length complaining is pretty common in video games.

Remember The Order 1886? OMG THIS GAME IS 7 HOURS LONG AND COSTS $60 WTF IS THIS TRASH BLAH BLAH BLAH QUICK TIME EVENTS!!!!

There's always exceptions, isn't there? Games that you don't want to wear out their welcome, and games you wish would never end. It's a tricky way to make people happy. And no, I wasn't trolling by expressing her concerns. I don't give a shit how long the main story of Super Mario Odyssey is. Just making an argument that there's people that DO.

I know it is, and it's never made sense to me. I liked The Order. Game length itself is subjective though. Looking at the trophy guides here, my typical times for just completing the story the first time are often longer than the given time for the damn Platinum. Maybe I'm a slow gamer and games seem longer to me? In any case I can't think of any major games where I thought "this is too short". I also can't remember playing a game I wished would never end. I feel like most games I play have a good amount of game length. 

6 hours ago, iamjax said:

In preparation for SMO, I have been steadily working through the 3D Mario's to 100% (the only one I won't get there is 3D World, because I'm going to hold off on having to beat the game several times over to get the 5 star profile). It's also nice, because I've been slowly converting my consoles to digital backwards compatibility machines, especially a good time with -- on a more unrelated note -- the advent of OG Xbox games on the One (KOTOR! PIRATES! CRIMSON SKIES! AND NOW OFFICIALLY ALL THE FABLE GAMES ARE ON THERE (even though Fable: TLC is the 360 Anniversary version, technically)!), and the slightly sadder news of Wii's WiiShop closing (but on the plus side, I've officially bought enough off there that between my Wii U and Wii VC libraries, that the prospect of tracking down a SNES Classic just seems redundant now sans playing the unreleased Star Fox 2 completely legally, which I'm not really in a rush to play it).

So far, I've managed to 100% SMG, SMG2, SM64, SMS, and SM3DL over the past couple of months. I love 3D World, but oddly, it's the only 3D Mario game I have not nor ever 100%'ed, and I've owned it since launch. It's a fun concept, but I'm very eager to return to a more SMS style of game.

But back to the BC bit - even with basically rebuying a lot of Wii games on my Wii U, and even upgrading quite a few of my Wii VC to Wii U VC, I'm still eagerly anticipating some form of announcement of a Switch VC, hopefully with GCN support so I can finally put my GCN and/or BC Wii to rest.

I like your style; well met! You know, it has never occurred to me to go for 100% completion in Mario games. I don't know why, but it hasn't. But I was reviewing my Miiverse posts recently while mourning its upcoming loss, and I noticed that I posted a screenshot of my 100% completion in World 1 of SM 3D World. That's as far as I got before giving up on completing the rest of the worlds 100%, way back in January 2014 (I'm really going to miss Miiverse even though I only have about a dozen posts; it was a special community). Anyway, I haven't traded or sold any of my 3D Mario games, and I really loved SM3DL in particular. I should go back and get 100% completion in some of those games. But of course SMO comes out tomorrow, and I still haven't finished SMG1 and SMG2 (I gave up trying to complete SM Sunshine, because the controls are too wonky for me). So that should take priority. 

As far as getting rid of your GCN and/or BC Wii... if you are willing to go down the Homebrew route you can do that now. I was afraid to try it at first, but it is almost seamless and it works great. @Super-Fly Spider-Guy can also vouch for how great it is. I only have about a dozen Gamecube games but they are all playable on my Wii U because of those tweaks. What's great about it is I no longer need to keep my Wii plugged in, which means no analog cables. 

Anyway, as for Switch VC, I have all the previous Mario games on my Wii U (SM Sunshine unofficially, thanks to Homebrew), but if I could get them on the Switch and fully portable, that would be awesome. That said I don't think we'll see much or any 3DS porting for the near future, which is fine with me since I expect to have a 3DS for years to come (I have lots of games in my 3DS backlog, and I would feel bad to get rid of it even if I ever finish everything). And Super Mario 3D World, if it comes to Switch at all, will almost certainly be a HD remaster/remake. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

[7.5] PLAY! Zine - Though a really neat game, Super Mario Odyssey is an utterly underwhelming adventure for every long-term Super Mario fan in existence. Unless Cappy brainwashed you. In that case, you are a satisfied zombie customer now. No, seriously, only a zombie would find a healthy challenge in this pleasant but disappointingly easy Super Mario Walk-in-the-park. Sorry - Odyssey.

Luls.

I knew someone was going to do this. At least it's some piece of shit unknown critic. However, that review hurt it's metacritic score. It's currently sitting at a score of 97.

14 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

[7.5] PLAY! Zine - Though a really neat game, Super Mario Odyssey is an utterly underwhelming adventure for every long-term Super Mario fan in existence. Unless Cappy brainwashed you. In that case, you are a satisfied zombie customer now. No, seriously, only a zombie would find a healthy challenge in this pleasant but disappointingly easy Super Mario Walk-in-the-park. Sorry - Odyssey.

Luls.

I knew someone was going to do this. At least it's some piece of shit unknown critic. However, that review hurt it's metacritic score. It's currently sitting at a score of 97.

Yeah, it was to be expected. What I can't place is the words combined with the score. I can respect people who honestly don't like the game, and I'm not concerned with anyone's opinion until I know their tastes better (for instance, I would listen to @MosesRockefeller when he's giving his opinion on a MetroidVania game) but the conclusion of this review and the mark don't match at all. If you think the game is boring and easy so be it, but if you call people who like it 'zombies' then I don't believe your 75, I would believe a 50 with harsh words like that.

I can't get to the actual review as the site was down but I honestly want to see what else they have to say and if the recap was some translator's exaggeration.

7 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Yeah, it was to be expected. What I can't place is the words combined with the score. I can respect people who honestly don't like the game, and I'm not concerned with anyone's opinion until I know their tastes better (for instance, I would listen to @MosesRockefeller when he's giving his opinion on a MetroidVania game) but the conclusion of this review and the mark don't match at all. If you think the game is boring and easy so be it, but if you call people who like it 'zombies' then I don't believe your 75, I would believe a 50 with harsh words like that.

I can't get to the actual review as the site was down but I honestly want to see what else they have to say and if the recap was some translator's exaggeration.

What I don't like about the review is the seeming need of the author to insult people who like the game. You don't prove your points by shouting epithets at those who might disagree. If the game is easy, say so. Compare it to a harder game in the Mario universe. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

What I don't like about the review is the seeming need of the author to insult people who like the game. You don't prove your points by shouting epithets at those who might disagree. If the game is easy, say so. Compare it to a harder game in the Mario universe. 

I don't really think he's wrong though. It is, apparently, extremely easy. Particularly the bosses.

However, doesn't past gaming experiences make us better, and make future titles easier as you're accustomed to them?

My friend compared the difficulty loosely with that of Super Mario 64, which doesn't exactly hide where the stars are for you to collect. If you're playing Mario games to be challenged, then I think your priorities are in the wrong place.

I play Mario for fun.

34 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

22 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I don't really think he's wrong though. It is, apparently, extremely easy. Particularly the bosses.

However, doesn't past gaming experiences make us better, and make future titles easier as you're accustomed to them?

My friend compared the difficulty loosely with that of Super Mario 64, which doesn't exactly hide where the stars are for you to collect. If you're playing Mario games to be challenged, then I think your priorities are in the wrong place.

I play Mario for fun.

Since about Galaxy 1, I noticed a trend of Mario games becoming easier again (after Super Mario World was easier than the games that came before, and 64/Sunshine being a bit harder again) with the exception of a few later levels in The Lost Levels, the Mario series has never been about challenge to me, though I did really enjoy the post-game challenges in Galaxy (2) and 3D Land. I am kind of hoping that (like I predicted earlier) getting 100% will be a bit of a challenge in Odyssey. I'm not looking for Super Meat Boy though, I've got other games for that itch.

I think bosses were never that hard in the Mario series. Loads of fun, though.

@starcrunch061 on your post specifically: the "insult" thing is why I want to get to the full review and read it for myself, I'm kind of doubting that the original (non-English) review talked like that.

The apparent lack of difficulty doesn't bother me one bit. I am sure some parts will be challenging for me, and even if it's mostly easy, I know it will make me smile. Heck, I've already found a lot of joy in some of the screenshots I've seen in previews. Enjoyable gameplay and a sense of fun is all I really need out of SMO. 

EDIT: Woohoo! I just got ship notices from Best Buy for SMO, AC Origins, and the free Cappy SMO coin (which I will give to my toddler daughter as a "present", maybe as a Play-doh mold). My body is ready! 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Well, my plan worked. It's now half an hour to midnight, I just slept for about two hours and Odyssey doesn't sneakily let me play already. Now I'm walking the dog, after that I'm getting ready for bed, where I should be able to be just before midnight.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The apparent lack of difficulty doesn't bother me one bit. I am sure some parts will be challenging for me, and even if it's mostly easy, I know it will make me smile. Heck, I've already found a lot of joy in some of the screenshots I've seen in previews. Enjoyable gameplay and a sense of fun is all I really need out of SMO. 

EDIT: Woohoo! I just got ship notices from Best Buy for SMO, AC Origins, and the free Cappy SMO coin (which I will give to my toddler daughter as a "present", maybe as a Play-doh mold). My body is ready! 

Unfortunately my AC wasn't available for an early pickup so I'll have to go tomorrow. Just as well, the Bowser Amiibo is getting in then as well and it'll be good for me to get outside some more.

3 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Well, my plan worked. It's now half an hour to midnight, I just slept for about two hours and Odyssey doesn't sneakily let me play already. Now I'm walking the dog, after that I'm getting ready for bed, where I should be able to be just before midnight.

Unfortunately my AC wasn't available for an early pickup so I'll have to go tomorrow. Just as well, the Bowser Amiibo is getting in then as well and it'll be good for me to get outside some more.

It's 5.42pm where I live and I am getting ready to see Jigsaw first :P Then pick up my games after the film. I cannot wait to play it hahaha :)

Hope you enjoy since you are getting it first :P

5 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

It's 5.42pm where I live and I am getting ready to see Jigsaw first :P Then pick up my games after the film. I cannot wait to play it hahaha :)

Hope you enjoy since you are getting it first :P

I would very much appreciate your opinion on Jigsaw. I thought the first Saw was amazing and the rest was enjoyable pulp, with 2 being the worst and each successive film being a bit better than the one before.

Going to Thor Ragnarok tomorrow night with a few others and I'm debating whether or not to do Jigsaw before - I've got an unlimited cinepass so I'm not paying anything. It's just less time for my games, but since I'm Friday and Monday off... But if Jigsaw is only mèh then I can stand going some other time.

I'll try to drop a line here in an hour or so. Seven minutes left to go!

18 minutes ago, Cubone said:

I would very much appreciate your opinion on Jigsaw. I thought the first Saw was amazing and the rest was enjoyable pulp, with 2 being the worst and each successive film being a bit better than the one before.

Going to Thor Ragnarok tomorrow night with a few others and I'm debating whether or not to do Jigsaw before - I've got an unlimited cinepass so I'm not paying anything. It's just less time for my games, but since I'm Friday and Monday off... But if Jigsaw is only mèh then I can stand going some other time.

I'll try to drop a line here in an hour or so. Seven minutes left to go!

I will give my critique even though I am not very good at them :)

Edited by Shiny Suicune

14 hours ago, iamjax said:

8 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

As far as getting rid of your GCN and/or BC Wii... if you are willing to go down the Homebrew route you can do that now. I was afraid to try it at first, but it is almost seamless and it works great. @Super-Fly Spider-Guy can also vouch for how great it is. I only have about a dozen Gamecube games but they are all playable on my Wii U because of those tweaks. What's great about it is I no longer need to keep my Wii plugged in, which means no analog cables. 

Every time I try to get out, they keep dragging me back in.

Yeah dude. Go for the Game Cube stuff. I haven't done a single lick of other homebrew anything on my Wii U, I have no major interest in homebrew (respect the shit out of people who make games for consoles that died 10 years ago but don't care that much still) outside of emulation I guess. As far as Game Cube stuff on the Wii U goes though, it's damn near flawless. The odd game is a little weird, but that's usually due to the settings, which I'll get into in a bit.

Basically, to do this, it's real easy. It may have even got easier since I did it a couple years ago, but here's what I needed

1. Internet, to download a few files, nothing huge really, small stuff.

2. A copy of Lego Batman, Smash Brawl, or one of a handful of other games that Google will help you about.

Step by step (again, from memory)

1. Start one of those games 

2. Make a save file

3. Take the save to your computer

4. Put the downloaded files from the first bit into the save file instead

5. Boot the game and load that save

(that unlocks the Homebrew channel or something, I forget, it basically cracks the vWii mode open)

6. Install Homebrew Channel and Nintendont

7. Shove as many GCN games onto an SD or HDD as you want

8. Return Lego Batman to EB for your money back

In short, buy a game, make a save, fuck with the save, play Game Cube games.

Anyway, from there the Nintendont app will load up all your GCN games in a similar fashion to any other emulator, though AFAIK it's more of a built in dealy and you just have to unlock it, Wii emulation brings with it Game Cube emulation, even if Nintendo don't want it to. So once you're in there there's a fair few settings you can do, virtual memory cards, different controllers, etc. You can even force widescreen and upscaling which is nice. Which brings me back to the bit earlier I mentioned about settings, the only real issue I remember running into is on Tony Hawk 3, sometimes the game would crash, but when I turned off forced widescreen mode it worked fine, so just be careful with settings like that. 

Anyway, aside from that it runs flawlessly and works with a tonne of other controllers, I've seen people using PS3 remotes and whatnot on it. I personally just use the Wii U Pro pad, and an old Wii Classic Controller Pro if two player is going down, much better than an actual GCN controller in my opinion.

Anyways, I gotta go, so I'll hit this thread back in a bit boyos.

46 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Anyway, from there the Nintendont app will load up all your GCN games in a similar fashion to any other emulator, though AFAIK it's more of a built in dealy and you just have to unlock it, Wii emulation brings with it Game Cube emulation, even if Nintendo don't want it to. So once you're in there there's a fair few settings you can do, virtual memory cards, different controllers, etc. You can even force widescreen and upscaling which is nice. Which brings me back to the bit earlier I mentioned about settings, the only real issue I remember running into is on Tony Hawk 3, sometimes the game would crash, but when I turned off forced widescreen mode it worked fine, so just be careful with settings like that. 

Anyway, aside from that it runs flawlessly and works with a tonne of other controllers, I've seen people using PS3 remotes and whatnot on it. I personally just use the Wii U Pro pad, and an old Wii Classic Controller Pro if two player is going down, much better than an actual GCN controller in my opinion.

The reason it's flawless is that it's not actually emulating anything. Nintendont is playing Gamecubes natively, using the Wii features of the Wii U. This isn't like PS3 where only the first models had a PS2-on-a-chip included in the console. EVERY Wii U is a fully functioning Wii, and by extension a 99% functioning Gamecube (the 1% consists of the handful of games that require specific hardware that the Wii didn't have, and therefore the Wii U doesn't have; in addition to that the Wii U disc drive can't read Gamecube discs). So my opinion is, why not take advantage of that built-in BC and use it. 

You will need a regular Wii to rip Gamecube discs to make them work on Wii U though. The Wii U disc drive can't read Gamecube discs at all. So if you want to be nice and legal, you have to install homebrew on a Wii to rip your Gamecube discs, then install homebrew on the Wii U to do the actual playing. Once you get all your Gamecube discs ripped and verified, you don't need the Wii at all. No more analog cables! 

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

Nice! My goal in life is to get back to the point where I can take paid time off to play games. :)

My 6-month contract-to-hire position is supposed to roll over next month, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed... eh, who am I kidding. All that PTO will go towards staying home on days that my kids are sick and can't go to daycare. ?

Okay, one hour played.

Spoiler free:

Very cool game. I can also definitely say that this game is not small, and that if you "get through" the first three kingdoms in thirty minutes, you're definitely rushing to the end. Which is fine if that's your style, but don't complain about length then as there's quite clearly more to do, and the Mario games have pushed players towards 100% completion ever since Super Mario World showed you how many exits you had found.

Light spoilers (only don't look if you want to realise everything on your own):

Spoiler

I just unlocked the third kingdom, spending about half an hour in each of the first two kingdoms. I can also now see that there's about a shitton of things I missed in the first two kingdoms. I thought the first kingdom didn't have any power moons and the second only had five (which is needed to get to the third kingdom, but I got six in the end) but the list shows that I'm not even close... I guess a lot will open up when revisiting. Don't know if that means a larger area or just new things to do in the old area, for now I'm just pushing on and I'll revisit at a later point in time.

Heavy spoilers (better not look if you want to play the game and care about spoiling yourself at all):

Spoiler

The game already starts cool, with a cutscene we already know from the trailers (Bowser kicks ass) and then, naturally, the Cappy Kingdom. As seen in the trailers, that Kingdom is king of grey and lifeless but the second kingdom is the dinosaur one and it's got a great soundtrack, this is where I was really pulled into the game.

Loving the Chain Chomps, I always thought they were cool but the new graphics really give them a certain weight.

The bosses were fun. Not too hard but the second one was not that trivial - I am not ashamed to admit I lost two health snippets in finding out the Gold Chomp couldn't just be captured at any time but needed a bump first, and then a third snippet through clumsiness.

1 hour ago, Shiny Suicune said:

I will give my critique even though I am not very good at them :)

Don't worry, a line about whether or not you enjoyed it and what you thought of it in regards to the previous ones will do.

28 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Nice! My goal in life is to get back to the point where I can take paid time off to play games. :)

My 6-month contract-to-hire position is supposed to roll over next month, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed... eh, who am I kidding. All that PTO will go towards staying home on days that my kids are sick and can't go to daycare. 1f61e.png

Yeah... We don't have kids, my wife has no free days left and I just started a new job where I got more days for 2017 than I can take along to 2018 and I'll be damned if those spare days get lost in taxes.

I took the week off on my last job when the Switch arrived as well :)

32 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Assassin's Creed Origins has gotten me through the day. It's extremely good. I almost feel guilty putting it aside even for a little bit in favour of SMO.

Good to hear. As soon as I get Origins this morning, I'm going to play it instead of Odyssey. Origins will be my daytime fun and I want to finish it come monday, but I'm going to take my time with Odyssey. Going to play Odyssey in the evenings in bed until Origins is done and then I'm going to Odyssey full-time.

Okay, I just spent an hour and a half enjoying the third kingdom, ready to go to the fourth one.

It's an amazing game and I love it. Putting it down now for some rest but I'll pick it up again first thing in the morning (store for Origins opens at 930, I think).

Somewhere halfway through the third kingdom it really hit me how much this game is the Super Mario 64 sequel we never got. The Odyssey reveal was what made me sure I wanted a Switch but it wasn't until playing that I realised how amazing it is to have another great Mario game (not to say everything after 64 was shit, but none were so spiritually close to what 64 did). Last non-spinoff Mario game I loved was Galaxy 2, but my enjoyment of the Galaxy games was nothing towards the joy of first playing 64, and it doesn't come close to Odyssey either.

I'm ready to call definite bullshit on 'getting through the first three kingdoms in thirty minutes'. Getting into the third in thirty minutes, sure, but not getting through the third in thirty minutes, let alone the first three put together. There's simply too many power moons you need to get before you can move on. POSSIBLY a good speedrunner would be able to do so if they played the game before, knew where to go and skipped all cutscenes, but no way a casual first time player gets through the first three kingdoms in under an hour. An hour and a half may still be stretching it.

On difficulty: I am very pleased and the difficulty is exactly what I thought it would be. It's a Mario game so gamers in all shapes and sizes need to be able to get to the end, but the game is not trivially easy and it's got enough hints of challenges to get to 100%. For me, this is what I want in a Mario game - not brain numbingly easy, but not frustratingly hard either. Perfect middle ground for a Mario game.

I saw some people online say it's not enough platforming and too much exploring, but in my opinion the game also on this topic finds a perfect middle ground. There's also a lot of different platforming flavours in here, it's really fun to see and do.

I hope you all will enjoy the game as much as I'm enjoying it. Talk to you all later!

... and I'm ready to go again! Breakfast is had, dog is walked and I've got a while before I can pick up Assassin's Creed Origins.

Just because I realised it will come up once more people start: I started out using the loose joycons (the way it's"meant to be played"), but after a few minutes I decided to just use Y for the hat throw instead of the motion controls, and soon after I went back to the pro controller, which supports the remaining motion controls (which I didn't really need that often yet).

15 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Luls.

15 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Okay, so I'm walking to and from the store for Origins and I decided in that time to check that '75' review to see if my intuition was correct.

As I expected, the review is much less negative than the metacritic recap and said insults are nowhere to be found.

Here's the last two paragraphs translated through google:

The odyssey we had been eagerly anticipating turned into a museum tour of small locations, scattered content that is often not so fun to discover. A single, overwhelming game, which, as far as the details are concerned, is actually a poor impression at the end. If you want to relax your brain with Mary or provide a lightweight challenge to your eight-year-old sister, at least for the time of passing a lightweight story, Super Mario Odyssey is the right thing! And if you're a fan of the series and its perfectly balanced challenges ... My blunt heart is over, but I have to say that - you will probably be disappointed. 

But you still play. Blend amber figurines on gejmped, play Park Switch, blend Joy-con in the air, be fascinated by the brutality of the ruthless and premature crowd, but play this odyssey. If nothing else, Mario deserved to comply with his latest release. Newer, more comfortable and better to come, sooner or later.

I can respect this review as an honest opinion that ends in a 75 score. I think he's wrong to expect Mario games to be more difficult and I disagree that the game is not fun to explore, but this seems like an honest review from someone who really wanted to like the game but just didn't. It happens.

Luckily, I'm not bothered by scores of people I don't know, and I will go back to enjoying my games now. Ciao!

• Like 1

On 10/26/2017 at 5:12 PM, Z1MZUM said:

I try to get to Target or the Big Dubbawa first, pity neither had bomberman but this game they'll definitely have. Got some real bargains at Tar Jay in the past like all of the wii and wii u zelda games. They tend to carry some great games like ff12 so it's always worth a look.

The MayFlash is fantastic if you like the Wii U pro controller or xb1, I paid about $28 dollars for it. I use the cronus max on the ps3/ps4 combined with the xbox one controller.

I swear mine had Bomberman, but either way, that game ain't worth anything more than 20/30 to me, and I love me some Bomberman. Tarzshay are pretty sweet too, my local one has recently even had a few games out a day or two before release. I went into a Big W yesterday during my lunch break and just thought I'd try my luck, maybe if I ask the guy at the desk he might grab a copy out for me. I go in "Yo, can I grab the new Mario game?" he's like "Odyssey" and I'm like shit he knows more than I want him to. Ended up leading into a five minute conversation with the guy about breaking embargos and shit and much to my surprise the guy turned out to be a hardcore gamer. He reckons JB have been caught out breaking embargos a shitload lately, which interested me.

I enjoy the Wii U pro thing, prefer the Wii classic control, but the U Pro is pretty sweet, I'm just not 100% on both sticks being at the top, but I can live with it. I love the Xbone remote but we use that thing every day either for some games or Netflix and the sort, so syncing and resyncing would be too much effort, the Wii U pad on the other hand, well, the only thing keeping my Wii U there was the Game Cube playability, and since I stumbled into a cheap BC PS3 at Cashies about a year ago, I haven't even used that.

12 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The reason it's flawless is that it's not actually emulating anything. Nintendont is playing Gamecubes natively, using the Wii features of the Wii U. This isn't like PS3 where only the first models had a PS2-on-a-chip included in the console. EVERY Wii U is a fully functioning Wii, and by extension a 99% functioning Gamecube (the 1% consists of the handful of games that require specific hardware that the Wii didn't have, and therefore the Wii U doesn't have; in addition to that the Wii U disc drive can't read Gamecube discs). So my opinion is, why not take advantage of that built-in BC and use it. 

You will need a regular Wii to rip Gamecube discs to make them work on Wii U though. The Wii U disc drive can't read Gamecube discs at all. So if you want to be nice and legal, you have to install homebrew on a Wii to rip your Gamecube discs, then install homebrew on the Wii U to do the actual playing. Once you get all your Gamecube discs ripped and verified, you don't need the Wii at all. No more analog cables! 

I thought that, then I heard other things, then I heard the same things, then I stopped caring. I always assumed as much though. 

Nope. Don't care. I won't pirate anything I can currently buy because that's a dick move, but if there's no way to buy a new copy, digital or physical, then there's no way for me to give money to the devs, and if the money is just going to some asshole on eBay, well, I'm pirating. To be entirely honest though, outside of a couple of games (though none come to mind, I'm just covering myself) I own all of them on PS2, but before getting back a BC PS3 it was just easier to have the Game Cube versions. I don't agree with pirating anything you can buy currently, if I can walk into an EB and buy a new copy of a game, or I can sign into the PSN and buy a copy of it, I won't pirate it. 

Plus, TBH ripping discs is a grey area anyway. 

Mario Odyssey

is pretty cool. I've played maybe an hour and a half or so. I dig it. That is all.