Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Nope. Don't care. I won't pirate anything I can currently buy because that's a dick move, but if there's no way to buy a new copy, digital or physical, then there's no way for me to give money to the devs, and if the money is just going to some asshole on eBay, well, I'm pirating. To be entirely honest though, outside of a couple of games (though none come to mind, I'm just covering myself) I own all of them on PS2, but before getting back a BC PS3 it was just easier to have the Game Cube versions. I don't agree with pirating anything you can buy currently, if I can walk into an EB and buy a new copy of a game, or I can sign into the PSN and buy a copy of it, I won't pirate it. 

Plus, TBH ripping discs is a grey area anyway. 

I've seen that argument before and I don't completely agree. I guess it depends on the person, I mean downloading 20 Gamecube games, when in reality you would have maybe bought 5 if you could still buy new... that to me is a dishonest comparison. But if you're just downloading a handful of games, maybe even ones you used to own, I see that as more reasonable. In any case, I avoid the whole thing. 

As for ripping discs, yes that's a gray area, but somebody ripping games they bought new doesn't seem like piracy compared to somebody just downloading dozens of games online. 

Anyway, hopefully the relatively difficulty in playing old Gamecube games will soon go away with the introduction of Gamecube games on Switch. 

I checked my tracking status from Best Buy today, it looks like SMO is out for delivery (AC Origins will come tomorrow, but it doesn't matter because I won't play it for a while yet, since I'm still working on the story in AC Syndicate and I'll finish that completely first). Woo!

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I've seen that argument before and I don't completely agree. I guess it depends on the person, I mean downloading 20 Gamecube games, when in reality you would have maybe bought 5 if you could still buy new... that to me is a dishonest comparison. But if you're just downloading a handful of games, maybe even ones you used to own, I see that as more reasonable. In any case, I avoid the whole thing. 

Anyway, hopefully the relatively difficulty in playing old Gamecube games will soon go away with the introduction of Gamecube games on Switch. 

I'll give you that, people saying what I'm saying, but not putting their money where their mouth is, that's something else. I would genuinely buy the things I have downloaded. I've already bought KOTOR for the OG Xbox digitally for example, when I could have pirated it if I really wanted. I legit do still have hundreds of these games on PS2 though, not that that entitles me to another version for free by any means, I'm just saying that when I could have my money go to the people who made it, I did.

As for Game Cube on Switch. Unless they want something ridiculous like 25 bucks each, or unless they only have Nintendo games for the most part, I'll be buying a shitload. I gotta be real though, for Nintendo's exclusives, I can't think of a single one on Game Cube I even want. Sunshine bored me, Smash has NEVER interested me, Zelda I might try to get into after BotW, and I guess I might grab Metriod Prime, that's about it. I'd be down in a second to rebuy third party stuff though like THPS, Spidey, Crazy Taxi, and so on, but as far as Nintendo exclusives on Game Cube go, the first thing I actually think of is Link in SoulCalibur 2, that's how little their exclusives that gen mean to me. 

Anyway. While I've got you, what do you think is a fair price for digital copies of fifth gen (or whatever gen the PS2 was) games is? With Xbox, I can just load up an old disc, and there is a Cash Converters five minutes in any direction here selling a shitload of old PS2 and Xbox discs for 3 or 4 bucks. So when I can get a copy of the game with a pretty manual and cover and shit for less than the cost of a decent cheeseburger, why should I pay 23 bucks for a copy of Vice City on PSN? Like, I'm a sucker and bought the PS2 trilogy again on PS4 anyway (another example of my money being where my mouth is, and actually buying these games when they're available again...and in GTA's case, for literally the 10th time) but I waited for the first sale and paid I think 27 for the three of them, 9 bucks a piece is a fair price to me. I would gladly pay 10 bucks for a PS2 gen game digitally on whichever console, but I think if you charge anymore you're getting a bit ridiculous. These games haven't been produced in years, you'd have made nothing on the preowned market, and you should be a bit more competitive rather than charging 23 bucks for a game I can find a tonne of actual physical disc copies of anywhere for 3 bucks. 10 bucks. I think that's fair. If Game Cube games come to the Switch with a 10 buck tag (which I doubt, since they want 26 for the few old Wii games they sell on the Wii U eShop, and just over 10 for SNES games) I would jump in on pretty well anything that looks half interesting, 15 or more and I'll be a lot more conservative with my money, especially now that the library is kicking up it's Switch catalogue. So yeah, what would you say is a fair price for old digital games in a world where they can be bought physically for under five bucks?*

*and yes, I know the obvious thought is "well you might not find this game in the store or something" and you're not wrong, but also, most of the games in those stores are the super popular ones that sold in the millions, which are also the most likely candidates for digital re-releases, so it kind of actually works as a direct comparison.

When you try to play 2 player Mario with your kid but she won't pose for a good photo 

22886222_848311898660491_801436485221773 

I did try playing some actual two player with her last night, but I wanted to be Mario, who was on the blue remote, and I guess she did too because she kept hitting the home button until I let her be Mario, then she was happy running around aimlessly.

Also, I'm quite digging the game. We were out today at some fete thing so I didn't get too much time in on the game, but I'm digging it. I've just been cruising around picking up moons here and there and moving on to the next level whenever I unlock enough of them, not into the 100% side of it, at least not yet anyway. I quit the thing a bit before and at that point I had found enough to leave the wooded garden level or whatever it's called, it's nice to have a game where I just kick back and chill, instead of racing to the end as I do with most games. November 2 Morphite comes out, another chill looking game, and then a week later it's back into guns blazing balls to the wall race to the finish gameplay with Doom, and I am ready for that shit.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:27 AM, Cubone said:

Digital won't be cheaper than retail until at least a few years from now, with he exception of two things - games like Rime and L.A. Noire that are €10 cheaper on he eShop because the companies are calculating cartridge costs onto the buyer, and indie games that get an expanded retail version. A few years from now we might be on much more digital sales han retail for games that offer both day one but we're not there yet.

If you take the PC into consideration, the platform that's already seen that "few years" of transformation from physical media to primarily digital happen, the incentives to go digital slowly go away as it rises in popularity.  Right now you might be seeing some of those incentives (digital cheaper than physical) in certain circumstances, since companies would obviously prefer you buy games on their digital storefronts with less manufacturing costs, less overhead, less middle-men taking their cut, etc... but once they're no longer competing against themselves and physical media is out of the equation, why would they continue to give you any breaks?

PC digital sales are amazing, and I think that's what people hope for as the console-era of digital storefronts ushers in... but those sales aren't on brand new games.  Older games are what see bigger sales once publishers/developers realize how much money they can make generating interest in their 5 year old game by selling it for $2 instead of $30.

Of course, the PC also has a unique situation where there's competition for the cheapest prices within it's own platform... whether it's Steam vs Origin vs uPlay or GreenManGaming vs Humble Store vs Amazon PC Digital, and whatnot.  Something that probably won't happen on console and will lead to higher prices in general, since you're either buying your game from Nintendo's eShop/PSN/Xbox Live or your spending $200+ on a competing console for maybe marginally better deals.  Not much competition or flexibility for cheaper prices there.

IMO, the best thing we can do as consumers is keep supporting physical media... because anything can happen once you're locked into a platforms digital ecosystem.

Edited by Dreakon13

35 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

but once they're no longer competing against themselves and physical media is out of the equation, why would they continue to give you any breaks?

Well, I'm not saying that physical will go out completely - at the very least, physical collector's editions will remain a thing for as long as it's profitable. I was thinking more along those lines, where all physical gets a bit of a price bump because of manufacturing costs and not just a spare few games on cartridges.

On topic, I'm loving Odyssey still though I have found one flaw (tank controls). I'm now at the second world past New Donk City and I've seen so much fun stuff... 

I've also decided I like Assassin's Creed Origins enough to not want to get through it in this weekend and sell it on quickly. I'm going to take my time with it, just like with Odyssey.

On 10/27/2017 at 4:29 AM, Cubone said:

Okay, so I'm walking to and from the store for Origins and I decided in that time to check that '75' review to see if my intuition was correct.

As I expected, the review is much less negative than the metacritic recap and said insults are nowhere to be found.

Here's the last two paragraphs translated through google:

I can respect this review as an honest opinion that ends in a 75 score. I think he's wrong to expect Mario games to be more difficult and I disagree that the game is not fun to explore, but this seems like an honest review from someone who really wanted to like the game but just didn't. It happens.

Luckily, I'm not bothered by scores of people I don't know, and I will go back to enjoying my games now. Ciao!

For someone that isn't bothered by scores of people you don't know, you quoted it twice and tried to hunt down the original review.

I just copy pasted what I saw on Metacritic, had a hearty chuckle, and didn't bother to look up the rest.

I don't care about positive or negative reviews. Other people's opinions never affect my own. It'll be nice when we live in a world where everybody can say the same thing, but... that's just never gonna happen, is it?

17 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

For someone that isn't bothered by scores of people you don't know, you quoted it twice and tried to hunt down the original review.

I was annoyed by the insulting way the recap talked about the game, and suspected that this wasn't in the actual review. Didn't know there was something wrong with that and I don't see how wanting to check if a review is actually insulting people is related to caring about random honest reviews.

22 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I'll give you that, people saying what I'm saying, but not putting their money where their mouth is, that's something else. I would genuinely buy the things I have downloaded. I've already bought KOTOR for the OG Xbox digitally for example, when I could have pirated it if I really wanted. I legit do still have hundreds of these games on PS2 though, not that that entitles me to another version for free by any means, I'm just saying that when I could have my money go to the people who made it, I did.

As for Game Cube on Switch. Unless they want something ridiculous like 25 bucks each, or unless they only have Nintendo games for the most part, I'll be buying a shitload. I gotta be real though, for Nintendo's exclusives, I can't think of a single one on Game Cube I even want. Sunshine bored me, Smash has NEVER interested me, Zelda I might try to get into after BotW, and I guess I might grab Metriod Prime, that's about it. I'd be down in a second to rebuy third party stuff though like THPS, Spidey, Crazy Taxi, and so on, but as far as Nintendo exclusives on Game Cube go, the first thing I actually think of is Link in SoulCalibur 2, that's how little their exclusives that gen mean to me. 

Anyway. While I've got you, what do you think is a fair price for digital copies of fifth gen (or whatever gen the PS2 was) games is? With Xbox, I can just load up an old disc, and there is a Cash Converters five minutes in any direction here selling a shitload of old PS2 and Xbox discs for 3 or 4 bucks. So when I can get a copy of the game with a pretty manual and cover and shit for less than the cost of a decent cheeseburger, why should I pay 23 bucks for a copy of Vice City on PSN? Like, I'm a sucker and bought the PS2 trilogy again on PS4 anyway (another example of my money being where my mouth is, and actually buying these games when they're available again...and in GTA's case, for literally the 10th time) but I waited for the first sale and paid I think 27 for the three of them, 9 bucks a piece is a fair price to me. I would gladly pay 10 bucks for a PS2 gen game digitally on whichever console, but I think if you charge anymore you're getting a bit ridiculous. These games haven't been produced in years, you'd have made nothing on the preowned market, and you should be a bit more competitive rather than charging 23 bucks for a game I can find a tonne of actual physical disc copies of anywhere for 3 bucks. 10 bucks. I think that's fair. If Game Cube games come to the Switch with a 10 buck tag (which I doubt, since they want 26 for the few old Wii games they sell on the Wii U eShop, and just over 10 for SNES games) I would jump in on pretty well anything that looks half interesting, 15 or more and I'll be a lot more conservative with my money, especially now that the library is kicking up it's Switch catalogue. So yeah, what would you say is a fair price for old digital games in a world where they can be bought physically for under five bucks?*

*and yes, I know the obvious thought is "well you might not find this game in the store or something" and you're not wrong, but also, most of the games in those stores are the super popular ones that sold in the millions, which are also the most likely candidates for digital re-releases, so it kind of actually works as a direct comparison.

Backwards compatibility and previous generation ports are always tricky. You mention that you want third party stuff, most of which won't ever come to the Switch VC (judging by past Nintendo VCs). And yet those games can often be found used for cheap prices. 

Anyway, as for fair pricing, I think $10 US is a fair price, maybe $15. $20 is getting into budget/sale current-gen pricing, so I think that's pushing it for previous-gen games. Now I'm not saying current gen games are better, but there needs to be an expectation of price differences. I'm not sure how those prices translate to Australian dollars, because it's not as simple as doing the currency conversion. Different regions price retail current gen games at different prices, and it's not always a straight conversion from USD. So reduced pricing for indie games and old games should take that into account also. 

As for your comment on GameCube games, it's interesting that you don't want many first-party exclusives. I haven't played a ton of GameCube games, but I thought Luigi's Mansion, Star Wars Rogue Leader, Eternal Darkness, MGS Twin Snakes (I count this as an exclusive since that remake version of MGS1 has never been on another platform), Resident Evil 0, RE4, and RE1 Remake were great. RE0, RE4, and RE1 Remake are now on PS4/X1 but having them portable would be cool. I consider all of those games "second party" exclusives (except Luigi's Mansion of course) since they haven't made it to other platforms (besides the RE games). Sadly, most of them have a 0.01% chance of making it to the Switch VC since there are expired licensing agreements involved. We'd likely only see first party games. Anyway, I agree with you about Mario Sunshine. I wanted to like it but I always lose interest when I try to pick it up again. I've only played the Wii version of Metroid Prime but I'd love to see one of the versions on Switch. 

Well, I finished the story of Super Mario Odyssey :D

According to the parental app, it took me about nine and a half hours to get to the credits.

I'm not even remotely close to 100% completion though.

Great game, I enjoyed it a lot. Now that I've finally had my 3D exploration Mario game, @MosesRockefeller might find me more forgiving of another 2D Mario platformer, should Nintendo choose to make one ;)

I wouldn't mind it at all if this game would get either DLC Kingdoms or a direct sequel.

Really a great game, hope you all enjoy it too. I noticed that anout 2/3 of my friends list has started playing Odyssey by now, even ones I hadn't seen online in weeks :)

Well, I'm going back in Stardew Valley now (going to bed and I can play Stardew Valley without headphones but my wife won't allow Mario), and I'll go back to Assassin's Creed Origins tomorrow. Game on, everyone!

• Like 1

I've been playing Mario Odyssey for the last few days (as I'm sure everybody in this thread has also been doing lol). I am really enjoying it. I'm about halfway through the game (I think!) and I am really enjoying it. I much prefer the 3D Mario games to the 2D versions I have to admit. Pretty much every kingdom has felt really unique and the sense of exploration is immense. At first glance a particular kingdom might seem small until you try and collect all the coins and moons in the level and you get a real sense of how big the game really is.

Incidentally, I've been tapping a couple of my Smash amiibos to try and see what they unlock. So far I have unlocked a Dr. Mario and a Diddy Kong costume. All the amiibos seem to unlock clues as to the whereabouts of the hidden moons you have yet to collect. Even random amiibos such as Captain Falcon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Backwards compatibility and previous generation ports are always tricky. You mention that you want third party stuff, most of which won't ever come to the Switch VC (judging by past Nintendo VCs). And yet those games can often be found used for cheap prices. 

Anyway, as for fair pricing, I think $10 US is a fair price, maybe $15. $20 is getting into budget/sale current-gen pricing, so I think that's pushing it for previous-gen games. Now I'm not saying current gen games are better, but there needs to be an expectation of price differences. I'm not sure how those prices translate to Australian dollars, because it's not as simple as doing the currency conversion. Different regions price retail current gen games at different prices, and it's not always a straight conversion from USD. So reduced pricing for indie games and old games should take that into account also. 

As for your comment on GameCube games, it's interesting that you don't want many first-party exclusives. I haven't played a ton of GameCube games, but I thought Luigi's Mansion, Star Wars Rogue Leader, Eternal Darkness, MGS Twin Snakes (I count this as an exclusive since that remake version of MGS1 has never been on another platform), Resident Evil 0, RE4, and RE1 Remake were great. RE0, RE4, and RE1 Remake are now on PS4/X1 but having them portable would be cool. I consider all of those games "second party" exclusives (except Luigi's Mansion of course) since they haven't made it to other platforms (besides the RE games). Sadly, most of them have a 0.01% chance of making it to the Switch VC since there are expired licensing agreements involved. We'd likely only see first party games. Anyway, I agree with you about Mario Sunshine. I wanted to like it but I always lose interest when I try to pick it up again. I've only played the Wii version of Metroid Prime but I'd love to see one of the versions on Switch. 

Bums me out that I know it's true.

See, 10 I'd go with. But by 10, I mean 10 AUD. RRP of a full price title is 100 here, but that's with a few caveats. Firstly, there's not even one single chain that only sell video games anymore other than EB, so they got the monopoly on the masses. Second, the other stores that sell games as a secondary thing, Big W / Target etc. they have every new release for 60 something 9.5 times out of 10, which in turn means 60 is a fair price, since those two can do it for 60, and Costco is trying to get in recently and all their releases have been 60 as well. JB try to be competitive and will usually have new releases for 70 odd most of the time too. Both EB and JB do price match though. Thing is, even in that relatively monopolized example, 60 is still the defacto day one price for anyone who's not a fucking moron. I forgot about Harvey Norman too since I never go there, games is like the last thing on their mind, but they usually have most new releases for 70 odd as well and do regular clearances, I got Watch Dogs 2 from them moooonths ago for 20 bucks new when everyone else still wanted full dollar. So basically, when 60 dollars is the standard price for a US game, but then you see people like your version of Target selling them with 10 bucks off or preorder discounts of something, it's kind of comparable in a sense. If you got 10 bucks knocked off, that's a sixth of full retail for you, and for us, when most games are around 70ish day one (sometimes less, sometimes more, it varies) but the retail is 100 (mind you Nintendo games are 90 RRP for some reason) that's around a third off. But then 100 AUD in USD is just under 77 USD at the moment, so then the conversion gets weirder because if you pay 50 odd USD on a game day one, and I pay 60 odd AUD, well your 50 is worth about 60 in AUD so that kind of evens out. So the short version is, there's a lot of bullshit involved, but when you break it down to it, if you're paying around 50 for a game (the Amazon thing seems popular and that's like 48 I think) then you're paying around 65 AUD's worth, which is around what I pay for my games at those discount stores. So basically, even with the other shit, even with the RRP being 40 bucks more than yours on paper, if we both know where to shop, we both end up paying a pretty comparable price. So then, when I say I wanna pay 10 bucks for a GCN game, it means I'm down to pay around a sixth of the cost of a modern AAA game's launch price. Which would then be 8.3 USD if you paid around 50 for your games. I think that's a fair price. I'm not paying a fortune, but I'm paying more than I need to if I hunted down the game at a thrift shop, which is fine because you're paying for the convenience. And with this too, those studios are making money they'd have otherwise never got. If the price is reasonable, I will buy a bunch of them in a heartbeat, I've got a good 20 odd games on Switch alone now that I bought mostly because they looked half cool and were under 15 bucks. I'll take a gamble on something if the price is right 9 times out of 10, but if you wanna sell some old crappy shovelware game like, I don't know, Offroad Extreme or something like they re-released on Wii at fullprice, well, that can fuck right off. But it's money they wouldn't otherwise be making, if they wanna be greedy and charge ridiculous amounts then they can shove it. That's why I think the Xbox approach really appeals to me, because they aren't charging as much as PS2 on PS4 games, but most importantly, they're aware of those preowned discs being everywhere, and they're letting you use them. I have no problem paying a good chunk for a digital copy of a classic I adore if they also wanna allow people to shove their discs in they bought 15 years ago at no extra cost, best of both worlds, and it's not coming off as a greedy asshole. I know Switch can't do that, I refuse to say the PS4 can't play PS2 discs because you could very easily open the emulator up to everyone and let us shove our discs in, but that doesn't make money and that can fuck off. I'll rant later. Point is, if you hit the 10 buck sweet spot, or have regular sales where they hit ten bucks, I will be there every time, but it's just not practical for me to pay 23 bucks every time I get a new machine to play Vice City on.

Luigi's Mansion, never played, might look into if it comes over. Doesn't look super captivating though. He's in a big house playing Ghostbusters or something? Eh.

Rogue Leader, I would actually like. There's so many good Star Wars games I forget those exist, probably because PS2 got Battlefront and Battlefront was the shit. Actually, Star Wars had exclusives everywhere back then didn't it? Obi-Wan and Republic Commando on Xbox, Rogue Leader on Nintendo, did PS2 get any exclusives that gen, besides the downgraded port of Force Unleashed 1? (which by the way, I prefer over the full PS3 version anyway)

Eternal Darkness, straight up doesn't interest me. I know piss all about it, but what I do know doesn't inspire me to find out more.

Metal Gear Solid, whole thing doesn't grab me. Had MGS 1, didn't care. 2 and 3 on Vita, don't care. Hell, I had them on PS2 and I didn't care. Bought 4 for 50 cents, ended up trading it anyway. Ground Zeroes was fun, and I've been meaning to play 5 sometime too. The PSP ones didn't grab me either. You might ask "well if you don't care for them, why'd you have so many of them?" well, MGS 1 was a buck and I thought I'd try it, MGS 2 and 3 for PS2 were dumped on me my a friend, the Vita versions were from Plus, 4 was 50 cents, Ground Zeroes was the first big AAA PS4 game that looked cool so I jumped in and it was a budget title, 5 is also Plus, and the PSP ones I took from a video store who was stupid enough to leave games in their cases (I was like 10, sue me). Metal Gear Rising was alright though, I guess.

Resi Zero got it on PS4, still haven't got into it though.

Resi 4 I played a bit of on iPhone years back, dodgy port so I shouldn't hold that against it. I guess I'd be down to try it, but it's been ported everywhere at this point so it being on Switch wouldn't mean too much to me. Dump the whole 4, 5, 6 trilogy on there and I'll buy it because I never finished 5 and 6's 360 demo interested me enough to wanna pick it up but I never got around to it.

Resi Remake also got on PS4, still haven't started it. I need to finish my Resident Evil games, at least I can blame the REmake on me already playing the original, but I have no excuse for not finishing Revelations at this point.

Even the freakin' Mario Kart on Game Cube doesn't grab me, I thought the two player style stuff sucked hardcore and Crash Tag Team even did it better.

7 hours ago, Gengar said:

I've been playing Mario Odyssey for the last few days (as I'm sure everybody in this thread has also been doing lol). I am really enjoying it. I'm about halfway through the game (I think!) and I am really enjoying it. I much prefer the 3D Mario games to the 2D versions I have to admit. Pretty much every kingdom has felt really unique and the sense of exploration is immense. At first glance a particular kingdom might seem small until you try and collect all the coins and moons in the level and you get a real sense of how big the game really is.

Incidentally, I've been tapping a couple of my Smash amiibos to try and see what they unlock. So far I have unlocked a Dr. Mario and a Diddy Kong costume. All the amiibos seem to unlock clues as to the whereabouts of the hidden moons you have yet to collect. Even random amiibos such as Captain Falcon.

I haven't tried amiibo yet because I feel like I should keep them for the last few power moons that I just can't find. Didn't realise more amiibo than just the new wedding ones would unlock costumes though, I might just check that. Do amiibo hints reset after a while? Because I would like those costumes but I don't really want the hints yet if they don't reset.

@MosesRockefeller @Super-Fly Spider-Guy I'm not going to quote thise textwall tangents you've been posting but I want to weigh in here and say that Eternal Darkness is one of the most compelling games I ever played and it's one of the bare few GC games I really wish to play again. Only a bare few times have I seen/read/watched Lovecraftian horror put together that well.

4 hours ago, Cubone said:

I haven't tried amiibo yet because I feel like I should keep them for the last few power moons that I just can't find. Didn't realise more amiibo than just the new wedding ones would unlock costumes though, I might just check that. Do amiibo hints reset after a while? Because I would like those costumes but I don't really want the hints yet if they don't reset.

@MosesRockefeller @Super-Fly Spider-Guy I'm not going to quote thise textwall tangents you've been posting but I want to weigh in here and say that Eternal Darkness is one of the most compelling games I ever played and it's one of the bare few GC games I really wish to play again. Only a bare few times have I seen/read/watched Lovecraftian horror put together that well.

I threw the Sonic one I found a month or so back onto the game. It read it, said it would do something, told me to wait five minutes, and then ended up doing nothing anyway. I probably did something wrong, but even if it worked perfect, unless I only had one moon left on the level or something, I ain't waiting five minutes for a hint to anything, unless it leads to like one of the canned scripts of Spidey 4 or something.

FINE you guys, I'll Wikipedia it and find out more. And then take it from there I guess.

7 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I threw the Sonic one I found a month or so back onto the game. It read it, said it would do something, told me to wait five minutes, and then ended up doing nothing anyway. I probably did something wrong, but even if it worked perfect, unless I only had one moon left on the level or something, I ain't waiting five minutes for a hint to anything, unless it leads to like one of the canned scripts of Spidey 4 or something.

FINE you guys, I'll Wikipedia it and find out more. And then take it from there I guess.

Since that post of mine I Googled it myself. After those five minutes you get a power moon hint from the robot thingie, and in some occasions some clothing. All those clothes can be bought though as well so I figured I'd just play regularly.

I got to the 4th world in SMO, and I have to say this game accomplished what it intended to. It's so fun and the 2D sections always make me smile. 

Now that Nintendo has pushed out "arguably the best" releases in two of its flagship franchises (Zelda and Mario), and we have Metroid 4 coming, I sort of view the Switch as a "best of the best" console for Nintendo. They're doing great on the indie side of things, and third party support is doing okay so far, so if they can keep cranking out great first-party games, this is going to end up being one of the best consoles ever. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I got to the 4th world in SMO, and I have to say this game accomplished what it intended to. It's so fun and the 2D sections always make me smile. 

Now that Nintendo has pushed out "arguably the best" releases in two of its flagship franchises (Zelda and Mario), and we have Metroid 4 coming, I sort of view the Switch as a "best of the best" console for Nintendo. They're doing great on the indie side of things, and third party support is doing okay so far, so if they can keep cranking out great first-party games, this is going to end up being one of the best consoles ever. 

Well, it certainly is the best first year for a console I've ever seen.

I used to buy consoles late in their lifetime. PS4 was the first console I bought within a year of release, I only did so because Assassin's Creed went next gen only with Unity, and while I really liked the PS4, I don't recall getting so much mileage out of it in the first few month as I'm doing now with the Switch, even though I bought mich more AAA games on the PS4.

I think a big part of the deal is the hybrid thing. With the PS4 (and all earlier home consoles) I would have to make time to sit down in front of the television, while I would only use handhelds on holidays. Now with the Switch, I can just go to bed and game a bit there with the same game I was playing on the television earlier. And I thought I would only use the Switch as a handheld during holidays but I was very wrong about that. 

To any interested parties... Limited Run Games, a group dedicated publishing formally digital-only games onto physical media, announced that they'll be expanding from PS4/Vita/PC to the Switch as well.  For those unfamiliar, their releases are typically limited to a few thousand copies and are available on a first come, first serve basis when the day/time for any given release arrives.

https://limitedrungames.com/

Some strong implications in this article (but nothing confirmed yet) that their first physical Switch release will be Golf Story.

http://www.theswitcheffect.net/2017/10/interview-limited-run-games.html

I love LRG and have heard really nice things about Golf Story.  I know I'll be in on this.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Cubone said:

Since that post of mine I Googled it myself. After those five minutes you get a power moon hint from the robot thingie, and in some occasions some clothing. All those clothes can be bought though as well so I figured I'd just play regularly.

I've already bought all available clothing at this point. I was pissed though because early on I spent 1000 to get the bathers one and run around in undies with a top hat because I'm 5, but then when I got to New Donk I didn't have too many coins left so I ran around to get a few because I wanted to grab the suit and fedora but I didn't look ant bought some other stupid suit and I was bummed. Then I just retried the festival's 2D bit a few times and stacked up a couple grand and all my problems went away. I'm enjoying the different costumes more than I thought I would, but so far at least, I think Builder Mario (AKA the one on the box art of Mario Maker) is the best looking one. 

9 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Switch is fucking great. There's so many genuine greats on the PS2 gen, which means there's so many genuine greats on the PSP too, but the Switch is doing everything it can to dethrone my previous favorite console ay. With so many great / looking games still on the horizon, damn it looks good. I got the PS4 day one because I didn't wanna be 5 years behind like last time, and I enjoyed it immensely, but I got nowhere near as much sheer fun out of the PS4 as I have with the Switch so far. As you said, it really is the best of the best right now.

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

To any interested parties... Limited Run Games, a group dedicated publishing formally digital-only games onto physical media, announced that they'll be expanding from PS4/Vita/PC to the Switch as well.  For those unfamiliar, their releases are typically limited to a few thousand copies and are available on a first come, first serve basis when the day/time for any given release arrives.

https://limitedrungames.com/

Some strong implications in this article (but nothing confirmed yet) that their first physical Switch release will be Golf Story.

http://www.theswitcheffect.net/2017/10/interview-limited-run-games.html

I love LRG and have heard really nice things about Golf Story.  I know I'll be in on this.

I'm aware of Limited Run Games and what they do. Unfortunately I only found out about them quite recently so I've missed out on a couple of their physical releases. It would've been great to own physical copies of Firewatch and the Bunker. I am hoping they release physical copies of Artifex Mundi games one day. I'd be all over that.

Regarding the Switch and the article you posted. not only does he seem to hint at Golf Story, but he also said he would like to release copies of Thimbleweed Park and Fast RMX. I would love to own physical copies of them games and would purchase them in a heartbeat. Games I imagine will get physical releases for the Switch and that are currently digital are the likes of Shovel Knight, Snake Pass, Blaster Master Zero, Stardew Valley, Axiom Verge and the aforementioned Thimbleweed, Fast RMX and Golf Story. Anybody have any games they would like to get a physical copy of?

I know Axiom Verge is already going to be getting a physical release outside of LRG (on Switch, PS4 and Vita actually).  Next month.  Stardew Valley and Shovel Knight probably wouldn't need Limited Run Games either, since they're already physical on other platforms... not sure what it'd take to get them on Switch, but if the money is there they probably will.

Edited by Dreakon13

4 hours ago, Gengar said:

Regarding the Switch and the article you posted. not only does he seem to hint at Golf Story, but he also said he would like to release copies of Thimbleweed Park and Fast RMX. I would love to own physical copies of them games and would purchase them in a heartbeat. Games I imagine will get physical releases for the Switch and that are currently digital are the likes of Shovel Knight, Snake Pass, Blaster Master Zero, Stardew Valley, Axiom Verge and the aforementioned Thimbleweed, Fast RMX and Golf Story. Anybody have any games they would like to get a physical copy of?

4 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I know Axiom Verge is already going to be getting a physical release outside of LRG (on Switch, PS4 and Vita actually).  Next month.  Stardew Valley and Shovel Knight probably wouldn't need Limited Run Games either, since they're already physical on other platforms... not sure what it'd take to get them on Switch, but if the money is there they probably will.

Personally I started favouring digital since the Switch, I even bought Mario Kart and Super Mario Odyssey digitally day one, the first two retail games I bought digitally day one and/or full price.

I may end up doing the same for other games. I have a better job (and better payment) now so I'm less concerned with selling games after I'm done, and more concerned with having all games ready all the time as well as being a bit more thoughtful about the environment.

8 hours ago, Gengar said:

Anybody have any games they would like to get a physical copy of?

Retro City Rampage. 

Because they started selling it at like 3am here and I fell asleep like an idiot and missed out. 

They said there might be a reprint at some point though, which happened with the PS4 version too, so I may yet get lucky.

Also, while I'm here, anyone got any cool Mario screenshots? I've only taken the one so far

22852026_849283608563320_660826159520886 

11 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I've already bought all available clothing at this point. I was pissed though because early on I spent 1000 to get the bathers one and run around in undies with a top hat because I'm 5

I see I'm not the only person who did that. As soon as I had 1000 coins, I bought the bathing suit. All those other outfits look too hot for poor Mario. :P

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Also, while I'm here, anyone got any cool Mario screenshots? I've only taken the one so far

Reveal hidden contents

22852026_849283608563320_660826159520886 

Nice. It was so cool the first time I "captured" a T-Rex. I've taken a few screenshots and one video but I haven't gotten around to posting them. I'm not sure what the best way to post screens/videos is. I don't use Twitter or Facebook, but I think I've heard one or both of them compress screens and/or video. I did use Facebook for PS4 videos back in the early days, but I haven't used it since then and I don't remember how it turned out.