Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

5 hours ago, Cubone said:

Personally I started favouring digital since the Switch, I even bought Mario Kart and Super Mario Odyssey digitally day one, the first two retail games I bought digitally day one and/or full price.

I may end up doing the same for other games. I have a better job (and better payment) now so I'm less concerned with selling games after I'm done, and more concerned with having all games ready all the time as well as being a bit more thoughtful about the environment.

To each their own.

Having done the digital thing for years on the PC, I didn't really see a compelling reason to continue it when I came back to console.  New games typically cost the same amount anyways, and I'm at a point in my life where I don't want to or need to wait months or years for prices to get down as low as I'd like.  And the lack of organizational options (among other things) really chapped my behind. xD  I'm reading about people with multiple PSN accounts and they can't remember which one has which digital games... something that I too was in danger of back when I cared about trophies as having a "perfect account" overshadowed the games themselves, and went through a phase of not liking my profile name.  If you have multiple systems and/or multiple accounts for multiple PC storefronts (Steam, Origin, uPlay, Battle.net, etc)... things can become cluttered fast.

With physical copies, I know what I have, I know where they are, I can't forget what account they're on, what email I used, what password I used, no two-step authentification on a phone number I might not have anymore... there's no risk of servers going down, or what happens when PSN goes away, or the Switch eShop goes away, or if my account gets banned or hacked... they're organized the way I like, and over time (as I keep the games I like and make some money back on the ones I didn't) will make the study in my house look like a gamers paradise.  Building an appropriate display for my games, when I have the time and wherewithal to do so, will be so much more rewarding than any PSN profile or "download list".

And let's be honest, I couldn't afford to follow LRG and others like them and their collectable releases if I didn't have a better job now than I did as a teenager... so that's a part of my decision too. ;)

Edited by Dreakon13

23 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Nice. It was so cool the first time I "captured" a T-Rex. I've taken a few screenshots and one video but I haven't gotten around to posting them. I'm not sure what the best way to post screens/videos is. I don't use Twitter or Facebook, but I think I've heard one or both of them compress screens and/or video. I did use Facebook for PS4 videos back in the early days, but I haven't used it since then and I don't remember how it turned out. 

I personally have a twitter account that's just for uploading Switch screens, after which I download them on my phone and upload them to imgur. Those are the screens of me you've been seeing from time to time.

Looks pretty fine to me.

Spoiler

Fsp1Bti.jpg

14 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

To each their own.

Having done the digital thing for years on the PC, I didn't really see a compelling reason to continue it when I came back to console.  New games typically cost the same amount anyways, and I'm at a point in my life where I don't want to or need to wait months or years for prices to get down as low as I'd like.  And the lack of organizational options (among other things) really chapped my behind. xD  I'm reading about people with multiple PSN accounts and they can't remember which one has which digital games... something that I too was in danger of back when I cared about trophies as having a "perfect account" overshadowed the games themselves, and went through a phase of not liking my profile name.  If you have multiple systems and/or multiple accounts for multiple PC storefronts (Steam, Origin, uPlay, Battle.net, etc)... things can become cluttered fast.

With physical copies, I know what I have, I know where they are, I can't forget what account they're on, what email I used, what password I used, no two-step authentification on a phone number I might not have anymore... there's no risk of servers going down, or what happens when PSN goes away, or the Switch eShop goes away, or if my account gets banned or hacked... they're organized the way I like, and over time (as I keep the games I like and make some money back on the ones I didn't) will make the study in my house look like a gamers paradise.  Building an appropriate display for my games, when I have the time and wherewithal to do so, will be so much more rewarding than any PSN profile or "download list".

And let's be honest, I couldn't afford to follow LRG and others like them and their collectable releases if I didn't have a better job now than I did as a teenager... so that's a part of my decision too. ;)

I never had that many PSN accounts...

I don't have such love for a big pile of games. I hated it on the X360 - pile of games I hadn't played, pile of games I had played and should get rid of... My mancave looks cool but it's because of the big LEGO sets, as well as posters and statuettes, not because of a physical collection of games.

My better paying job is part of my reasoning as well, as now I'm less inclined to sell games on again. At least the ones like Mario Kart and Odyssey, which I know I'll be playing for bits here and there for a long while.

It's also very easy when it comes to going on a holiday. All my games are already on the Switch, so I have everything I need...

Indeed, to each their own. On the PS4, I'm still buying collector's editions and selling on the bare games afterwards. Though I'm thinking about just keeping Assassin's Creed Origins around.

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

I never had that many PSN accounts...

I don't have such love for a big pile of games. I hated it on the X360 - pile of games I hadn't played, pile of games I had played and should get rid of... My mancave looks cool but it's because of the big LEGO sets, as well as posters and statuettes, not because of a physical collection of games.

My better paying job is part of my reasoning as well, as now I'm less inclined to sell games on again. At least the ones like Mario Kart and Odyssey, which I know I'll be playing for bits here and there for a long while.

It's also very easy when it comes to going on a holiday. All my games are already on the Switch, so I have everything I need...

Indeed, to each their own. On the PS4, I'm still buying collector's editions and selling on the bare games afterwards. Though I'm thinking about just keeping Assassin's Creed Origins around.

Well, it's not even just PSN accounts (and those with multiple accounts certainly does exist).  It's the fact that if you want the best of all worlds... you'll have a Switch eShop login, you'll have a PSN account, you may have an Xbox Live account and a Steam account... maybe more if you go the GOG, Origin, uPlay route since that's how the PC operates.  Does that apply to you?  Maybe not.  Do most people stick with one or two platforms at most, with maybe one or two accounts to remember total?  Probably.  But IMO it doesn't get much simpler than walking over to a shelf, grabbing the game you want to play (regardless of platform) and popping it in.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.  I'll assume your games weren't in a literal "big pile" (if they were I can see why you didn't like it, you weren't doing it right lol)... but some people enjoy having their "library" of games adding to the aesthetic of a room, the same way a "library" of books might.  Especially considering the cases are often a work of art in their own right, and in the case of LRG, there's some rarity and value in that collection as well.  Interspersed with collectible items as you mentioned... be it from collector's editions, stuff I made myself, custom-made stuff I've found online.  Personally, I love it... even better if it's games trimmed down to those I've really enjoyed over the years (and those I didn't helping fund future ones I might).  I'll take that over a download list tucked away on the back pages of some website that may or may not be there 10 years from now.

(Also, apologies for carrying on, clearly this is a subject I enjoy discussing.  If I'm off-roading too much, just tell me to 'shut up' and I'll go back to focusing on work lol)

Edited by Dreakon13

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

Well, it's not even just PSN accounts (and those with multiple accounts certainly does exist).  It's the fact that if you want the best of all worlds... you'll have a Switch eShop login, you'll have a PSN account, you may have an Xbox Live account and a Steam account... maybe more if you go the GOG, Origin, uPlay route since that's how the PC operates.  Does that apply to you?  Maybe not.  Do most people stick with one or two platforms at most, with maybe one or two accounts to remember total?  Probably.  But IMO it doesn't get much simpler than walking over to a shelf, grabbing the game you want to play (regardless of platform) and popping it in.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.  I'll assume your games weren't in a literal "big pile" (if they were I can see why you didn't like it, you weren't doing it right lol)... but some people enjoy having their "library" of games adding to the aesthetic of a room, the same way a "library" of books might.  Especially considering the cases are often a work of art in their own right, and in the case of LRG, there's some rarity and value in that collection as well.  Interspersed with collectible items as you mentioned... be it from collector's editions, stuff I made myself, custom-made stuff I've found online.  Personally, I love it... even better if it's games trimmed down to those I've really enjoyed over the years (and those I didn't helping fund future ones I might).  I'll take that over a download list tucked away on the back pages of some website that may or may not be there 10 years from now.

(Also, apologies for carrying on, clearly this is a subject I enjoy discussing.  If I'm off-roading too much, just tell me to 'shut up' and I'll go back to focusing on work lol)

Shut up.

... Kidding, I like discussions about irrelevant stuff I care about.

Forgetting passwords... Isn't that what the "forgot password?" buttons are for? :)

Make sure you have enough storage space and it's even simpler than walking to the shelf. I've had my Switch for nine months now and I've used about 30GB of storage space (on an 128GB microSD card) with nothing on the internal storage yet except for save files. On PSN it's a bit harder but I'm betting that I won't care at all by the time it goes down, nor will I still have my PS3/PS4.

I actually had the games in the same bookcase I kept books, vinyl and DVDs in, with each their own shelves.

I used to say that there were certain games on PS4 I wouldn't sell on again but I find myself caring less and less for those games I played through, especially now that I have the Switch.

Note that it's only on the Switch that I've taken a strong preference for digital. On the PS4, I really often buy games physically and sell/trade them after playing. But on the Switch, it's so damn easy to just have to take the console into account and know you have everything you need right on there...

Take it from someone with a PSN, Switch, Xbox Live, Windows Store, Steam, GOG, uPlay, Origin, Battle.net and Epic Games Launcher accounts (in some cases more than one) and probably 20 dummy emails over the years... digital can get out of hand. ?

Yes, it's my fault for generally always wanting what I can't have as far as exclusives go... or wanting to change my account name on a few occasions, or wanting to start fresh with my trophies/achievements (back when I cared)... but having games and purchases tied to an account just feels like a bad idea in general IMO.  It's too much money invested in something that can so easily be lost in the void or even legally be taken away from you at a moments notice.  Granted there's always been weird licensing rules with physical copies of games that you technically don't "own them" even though you own them, but that's never been so clear as it is in this digital era.  There's two main reasons why a company would push digital over physical, and that's money and control.  Control over what you can use and when you can use it.  It's a slippery slope, even going beyond gaming.

I suppose the idea is that most people don't really care about these games 10 years from now, they'll move on to better systems and newer games, then move on from those games to even newer games... so even if there's an air of truth to my doomsaying, it doesn't really matter.  I'm just not there quite yet.  Kinda hope physical never really goes away on console so I don't have to get there.

EDIT: I'm a little surprised you can download Switch games to external storage.  Can you pop that microSD into someone elses Switch offline and play, or does it require connectivity to your account?

Edited by Dreakon13

Take it from someone with a PSN, Switch, Xbox Live, Windows Store, Steam, GOG, uPlay, Origin, Battle.net and Epic Games Launcher accounts (in some cases more than one) and probably 20 dummy emails over the years... digital can get out of hand. 1f606.png

Yes, it's my fault for generally always wanting what I can't have as far as exclusives go... or wanting to change my account name on a few occasions, or wanting to start fresh with my trophies/achievements (back when I cared)... but having games and purchases tied to an account just feels like a bad idea in general IMO.  It's too much money invested in something that can so easily be lost in the void or even legally be taken away from you at a moments notice.  Granted there's always been weird licensing rules with physical copies of games that you technically don't "own them" even though you own them, but that's never been so clear as it is in this digital era.  There's two main reasons why a company would push digital over physical, and that's money and control.  Control over what you can use and when you can use it.  It's a slippery slope, even going beyond gaming.

I suppose the idea is that most people don't really care about these games 10 years from now, they'll move on to better systems and newer games, then move on from those games to even newer games... so even if there's an air of truth to my doomsaying, it doesn't really matter.  I'm just not there quite yet.  Kinda hope physical never really goes away on console so I don't have to get there.

EDIT: I'm a little surprised you can download Switch games to external storage.  Can you pop that microSD into someone elses Switch offline and play, or does it require connectivity to your account?

Make sure to either quote or @ me so I know we're still discussing, instead of finding out randomly when I browse unread threads while making dinner ;)

Digital over physical is not just money and control; it's a direct line to your customer compared to an indirect line and it's better for the environment. That's not even taking into account how easy it has become for indie devs to get to gamers.

I'm a Netflix subscriber, I know all about digital ownership :) I just find it to be so easy...

Physical probably won't go away completely in our lifetime. Just a year or two ago I was where you are now (and zeven years ago I bought an X360 Arcade because I thought I would never buy anything digitally), so maybe a few years from now you'll swear to digital too.

To the best of my knowledge, you need the buyer's account on any Switch you want to use the software on. If the external storage has been put into the Switch, that's specifically where the Switch puts new software, by the way.

39 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Digital over physical is not just money and control; it's a direct line to your customer compared to an indirect line and it's better for the environment. That's not even taking into account how easy it has become for indie devs to get to gamers.

A direct line, as far as support goes?  Considering how abysmal support seems to be, I'm not sure it's working out that way.  I don't think I've ever heard someone having a good experience with Sony's customer support... and I've personally been completely unable to buy from PSN for extended periods and their answer was "just wait".  I'd also venture to say that direct line is a means of establishing more control.  If you mean a direct line as far as no middle-men like Gamestop taking their cuts... then I'd say that's about money.

As far as indie developers go, we're in the good spot currently.  Developers that can't afford the retail market have a place to go, those that eventually can because their games sell well usually find their way to a physical release.  I'm happy with that, I wouldn't want to see that change.  Go too much further down that rabbit hole and you end up like Steam... with thousands of shovelware, garbage games being added every month that cost $0.99 and unlock 10,000 achievements at the main menu.

The environment, fair enough.  That's a plenty fine reason as a consumer to support digital (I honestly don't believe that's the priority for Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo... moreso a happy accident).  I'd recommend moving near a wind farm and setting up some solar panels while your at it. ;)

Edited by Dreakon13

6 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

A direct line, as far as support goes?  Considering how abysmal support seems to be, I'm not sure it's working out that way.  I don't think I've ever heard someone having a good experience with Sony's customer support... and I've personally been completely unable to buy from PSN for extended periods and their answer was "just wait".  I'd also venture to say that direct line is a means of establishing more control.  If you mean a direct line as far as no middle-men like Gamestop taking their cuts... then I'd say that's about money.

The last part is part of what I meant; no shops (with an entire agenda of their own) in between you and your customer. Not talking about support but about the customer buying from you directly. It's easy for me because I don't have to leave my home, it's profitable for them since they have less production costs and less people to share it with. Considering many AAA devs have been talking about how expensive producing games has become...

As far as indie developers go, we're in the good spot currently.  Developers that can't afford the retail market have a place to go, those that eventually can because their games sell well usually find their way to a physical release.  I'm happy with that, I wouldn't want to see that change.  Go too much further down that rabbit hole and you end up like Steam... with thousands of shovelware, garbage games being added every month that cost $0.99 and unlock 10,000 achievements at the main menu.

One of the reasons I hope Nintendo won't add an achievement system; one less weak spot to exploit.

The environment, fair enough.  That's a plenty fine reason as a consumer to support digital (I honestly don't believe that's the priority for Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo... moreso a convenient side effect).  I'd recommend moving near a wind farm and setting up some solar panels while your at it. ;)

I am aware it's not on the top of their list but all bits help.

We do have one of the greener energy providers... We've also decided to keep our boiler turned off until two hours before we shower, we have a hybrid car (and before that a CNG one) and we have more small ways in which to save bits and pieces.

2 minutes ago, Cubone said:

The last part is part of what I meant; no shops (with an entire agenda of their own) in between you and your customer. Not talking about support but about the customer buying from you directly. It's easy for me because I don't have to leave my home, it's profitable for them since they have less production costs and less people to share it with. Considering many AAA devs have been talking about how expensive producing games has become...

I get the convenience factor, but just lends to my point that it's all about money and control to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo.  I don't blame them for wanting money and control, what company wouldn't... but I don't see the benefit of that for me.  Being a guy that enjoys picking up a new game after work, likes the level of control I have with physical media, and getting more stuff (albeit plastic and paper stuff) for my money.

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

I get the convenience factor, but just lends to my point that it's all about money and control to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo.  I don't blame them for wanting money and control, what company wouldn't... but I don't see the benefit of that for me.  Being a guy that enjoys picking up a new game after work, likes the level of control I have with physical media, and getting more stuff (albeit plastic and paper stuff) for my money.

Benefit for me is that last Friday, on my day off, I could just start playing Super Mario Odyssey at midnight because I had pre-downloaded, and I did not have to wait for the shop here to open at ten. It's knowing that I don't have to keep track of where all my cartridges are, and that I don't have to take all of them with me when I'm using the Switch on the go. It's not having to stand up when changing games for the fifth time. It's these kinds of things that make going digital so easy and careless for me.

29 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Benefit for me is that last Friday, on my day off, I could just start playing Super Mario Odyssey at midnight because I had pre-downloaded, and I did not have to wait for the shop here to open at ten. It's knowing that I don't have to keep track of where all my cartridges are, and that I don't have to take all of them with me when I'm using the Switch on the go. It's not having to stand up when changing games for the fifth time. It's these kinds of things that make going digital so easy and careless for me.

Not to make this too much of a back and forth... but many retailers do midnight releases for bigger games.  In fact with Resident Evil 7, I technically picked it up around 9-10pm the night before release, which is a nice treat when it happens.  Except I worked the next day so I was in bed by the time I got it home, but it was still nice.  And not all platforms are built equally.  A lot of pre-loaded content on Steam doesn't unlock until later in the morning (sometimes even drifting into the afternoon on release day) to account for time zones.  If Nintendo doesn't work that way now, there's no guarantee it'll stay that way.

As for bringing a few small game cases/cartridges with you on the go... or having to stand up from time to time... that's fine.  I'm not sure it's worth relinquishing the flexibility and control we've had with our games for decades with physical media, personally.  Like I said, it's a slippery slope.  If you give one company too much authority, then you sink or float with their decisions.

Edited by Dreakon13

53 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Not to make this too much of a back and forth... but many retailers do midnight releases for bigger games.  In fact with Resident Evil 7, I technically picked it up around 9-10pm the night before release, which is a nice treat when it happens.  Except I worked the next day so I was in bed by the time I got it home, but it was still nice.  And not all platforms are built equally.  A lot of pre-loaded content on Steam doesn't unlock until later in the morning (sometimes even drifting into the afternoon on release day) to account for time zones.  If Nintendo doesn't work that way now, there's no guarantee it'll stay that way.

The big releases from Nintendo are up there on midnight. PSN preorders work that way too. Game stores here in Holland unfortunately only do midnight releases for Call Of Duty. And even if they would do a midnight release, I'd still have to go there, wait in line, get back home, install updates... It's be half past one at least before I would be able to start, if I still wanted to start at all.

53 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

As for bringing a few small game cases/cartridges with you on the go... or having to stand up from time to time... that's fine.  I'm not sure it's worth relinquishing the flexibility and control we've had with our games for decades with physical media, personally.  Like I said, it's a slippery slope.  If you give one company too much authority, then you sink or float with their decisions.

I think I have more flexibility and control now than when I bought physically.

Remember, if PSN goes... All game updates are gone as well. Personally, if I have to play unupdated versions of Assassin's Creed Unity or No Man's Sky, I'd rather not play them at all.

50 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Personally, if I have to play unupdated version of No Man's Sky, I'd rather not play at all.

Hey, fuck you. The trophy requirements were way easier and when the update came along I never learned how to base build and I just went back to flying around aimlessly.

too many emails for digital shit

I can second this. I have my main PSN, a USA PSN, a plats only PSN, a replay PSN, a Brazilian PSN for a free game they had once (which I lost and now I can't play, damn it), and every time a game wants me to sign into uPlay or Origin I have to reset my password half the time because it's apparently not what I remember.

And then with Xbox, my main email I've used for over 5 years was an old Live.com one, I made it have a Gamertag for some reason before I got an Xbox. When I finally got an Xbox I wanted a new account as that one had been flooded with Facebook friends I'd since stopped caring about. I had to make one with a new email, easy enough right. But then they say you can swap emails and stuff. So I go to swap my first tag to a new email, that works fine. Then I go to swap my new one and it says it can't go to an email that's had a tag in the past and support was hopeless and now every time I wanna check out the Xbox store on my computer I have to either sign out of my main email, or open an incognito tab and use the newer one. And every time I wanna buy something in incognito, I have to verify my account... by getting a code that will be sent to my backup email, you guessed it, my main fucking email.

Thank fuck I only know like 4 people IRL with Nintendo stuff because I have a 3DS friend code, a Wii U friend code and apparently they connect, but the Wii U code goes into the Nintendo Account which is separate, and the Nintendo account works with Switch, but the Switch has it's own freaking friend code and at this point I gotta be real I don't remember shit of the sign in stuff and just tick "sign in with Facebook" every time I can nowadays.

Now, granted most of that could have been avoided if I had have done things differently, not bothered with foreign discounts on PSN, stuck with OG tag on Xbox, not bothered to buy a Wii U, etc. but that's not really the point. It was so easy for me to get lost in a pile of different logins and codes and shit and I'm not even a PC player. I have nothing but sympathy for people who have to have different logins for GoG, GMG, Steam, uPlay, Origin, and so on. With all the different requirements it can be real hard to keep up, I have the same basic password on everything, I won't give it away but it starts with an E. Somethings want me to have numbers, okay, cool, I'll make it start with a 3, easy enough to remember. Some want more than one number, okay, 123 at the end. Nope, can't be sequential, okay, 69 at the end. Some want a capital letter, okay, capital E and 69 or 123. Some want a freaking "special character" and I have to put a bloody hyphen in there or something. Some want the whole damn lot, and others are happy with just a few simple letters. At this point, I never remember which is which, Gmail is 123, PSN is 69, Xbox is capital 123, backup PSNs are just the letters, Nintendo I have no idea, eBay I get wrong two or three times every time I try to sign in, and so on. Shit sucks.

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

The big releases from Nintendo are up there on midnight. PSN preorders work that way too. Game stores here in Holland unfortunately only do midnight releases for Call Of Duty. And even if they would do a midnight release, I'd still have to go there, wait in line, get back home, install updates... It's be half past one at least before I would be able to start, if I still wanted to start at all.

Remember, if PSN goes... All game updates are gone as well. Personally, if I have to play unupdated versions of Assassin's Creed Unity or No Man's Sky, I'd rather not play them at all.

The worst part is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 wouldn't be playable at all as the entire game was in a patch

2 hours ago, Cubone said:

In my mind, physical is going out, buying a game and owning it, and digital is like Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo lending it to you without any real time limit.  Maybe the way you get your games works out better in your situation... but you aren't in control.  Sony can't come into my house and take my game away from me, but they can take games out of your download list if they feel anything suspicious happened in the process of buying it.  Hell, I bet the ToS and EULA give them the ability to do just about anything they want (though they need be wary of negative PR).  I know a lot of people that woke up one day to find games missing from their Steam libraries.  Maybe there were valid reasons for it... maybe those reasons were really only valid to Valve.  Slippery slope.

Also, I don't really see how PSN going is worse for physical copies?  Yeah, I may not have day one patches on newly installed games... but digital wouldn't be able to download their games, or patches, or anything.  Take out the 5-10 notoriously buggy/incomplete games on launch this generation and that just leaves me what... 40 others from my "pile" to play? ?

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I can second this. I have my main PSN, a USA PSN, a plats only PSN, a replay PSN, a Brazilian PSN for a free game they had once (which I lost and now I can't play, damn it), and every time a game wants me to sign into uPlay or Origin I have to reset my password half the time because it's apparently not what I remember.

And then with Xbox, my main email I've used for over 5 years was an old Live.com one, I made it have a Gamertag for some reason before I got an Xbox. When I finally got an Xbox I wanted a new account as that one had been flooded with Facebook friends I'd since stopped caring about. I had to make one with a new email, easy enough right. But then they say you can swap emails and stuff. So I go to swap my first tag to a new email, that works fine. Then I go to swap my new one and it says it can't go to an email that's had a tag in the past and support was hopeless and now every time I wanna check out the Xbox store on my computer I have to either sign out of my main email, or open an incognito tab and use the newer one. And every time I wanna buy something in incognito, I have to verify my account... by getting a code that will be sent to my backup email, you guessed it, my main fucking email.

Thank fuck I only know like 4 people IRL with Nintendo stuff because I have a 3DS friend code, a Wii U friend code and apparently they connect, but the Wii U code goes into the Nintendo Account which is separate, and the Nintendo account works with Switch, but the Switch has it's own freaking friend code and at this point I gotta be real I don't remember shit of the sign in stuff and just tick "sign in with Facebook" every time I can nowadays.

Now, granted most of that could have been avoided if I had have done things differently, not bothered with foreign discounts on PSN, stuck with OG tag on Xbox, not bothered to buy a Wii U, etc. but that's not really the point. It was so easy for me to get lost in a pile of different logins and codes and shit and I'm not even a PC player. I have nothing but sympathy for people who have to have different logins for GoG, GMG, Steam, uPlay, Origin, and so on. With all the different requirements it can be real hard to keep up, I have the same basic password on everything, I won't give it away but it starts with an E. Somethings want me to have numbers, okay, cool, I'll make it start with a 3, easy enough to remember. Some want more than one number, okay, 123 at the end. Nope, can't be sequential, okay, 69 at the end. Some want a capital letter, okay, capital E and 69 or 123. Some want a freaking "special character" and I have to put a bloody hyphen in there or something. Some want the whole damn lot, and others are happy with just a few simple letters. At this point, I never remember which is which, Gmail is 123, PSN is 69, Xbox is capital 123, backup PSNs are just the letters, Nintendo I have no idea, eBay I get wrong two or three times every time I try to sign in, and so on. Shit sucks.

Yep.

Edited by Dreakon13

Piracy before digital! Same thing really, just cheaper :) Nah I don't care.

So the mayflash magic-ns, if any of you buy this? make sure you update it as it now covers rumble support. Also the syncing has really improved given that you're not re-syncing every time the switch comes out of sleep mode. Loving the wii U pro on switch, the switch is docked and I'm using one of the side usb's. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo do an official retro support in the future tbh.

7 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

The worst part is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 wouldn't be playable at all as the entire game was in a patch

Nope. I played it day one and couldn't wait for the patch. It played "fine" without the patch. Completely disconnected, that game loads fast and runs decently well, but the second you let it use your internet it is a fucking mess at times. The first patch was alright. The next one where they added the two levels was alright. The third one was when the bugs finally started popping up for me. Point being, the two or three DLC levels won't be there, but the game will install and run fine, in fact, better than it will with the patch. If you have the game lying around, give it a go and prove me wrong dude. It's been a couple years, I could be forgetting stuff.

2 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Piracy before digital! Same thing really, just cheaper :) Nah I don't care.

So the mayflash magic-ns, if any of you buy this? make sure you update it as it now covers rumble support. Also the syncing has really improved given that you're not re-syncing every time the switch comes out of sleep mode. Loving the wii U pro on switch, the switch is docked and I'm using one of the side usb's. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo do an official retro support in the future tbh.

Mine's expected sometime late November. Found a good price, grabbed it at the good price, later found one that was around about the same price but like 2 or 3 weeks quicker, guess I shouldn't have rushed in, either way, I'm excited.

WUPC might be supported directly someday, but I doubt it. There was a full in depth explanation as to why it probably won't, but I forgot the most of it. Anyways, I'd love if I could just plug it in, but it runs on Bluetooth even when plugged in so until the Switch wants to support that I'm left waiting for the Magic-NS.

Also. 

I finished Mario earlier today. I was pretty much up to the last boss last night but the thing ran flat and the bedroom telly was in use and it was nearly midnight and I'm like bugger it, time to sleep.

Anyway, where you go after clocking the final boss, hot damn if that didn't bring a dropped jaw of a big shit eating grin to my face. I'm not done exploring that area yet, and I'll surely dive back in and try to find more and more moons, at least until Morphite comes out in a couple days anyway, and yeah. Great little Mario game, not gonna lie, I was actually on the fence pretty well up until release, I was half and half and thought I might not even end up getting the game, but damn it's fun.

Bring on November!

Boring Dylan figuring out how much he's spending on Switch games for November, feel free to ignore

Mario Odyssey - Done

Morphite - Nov 2

Sonic Forces - Nov 7

Doom - Nov 10

Rocket League - Nov 14

LA Noire - Nov 17

Lego Marvel 2 - Nov 29

Also, I got a phone call from one of my survey sites, they asked me to do a three part survey starting on Thursday for 60 bucks. Basically I have to rock up online for 20 odd minutes sometime during Thursday, sometime during Friday, and sometime during Saturday, then they email me a 60 buck gift card. All of a sudden, November's not looking too bad for my wallet. Mario was two thirds paid off with a returned item, Morphite is a 22.50 and I'm dumping a tenner of survey points into that. Sonic is 50 at Big W, and I'll spend the gift card on that. Doom should be about 60, take ten from Sonic's leftovers and pay the other 50 with some EB gift cards (I have about 80 bucks worth of gift vouchers, so 30 left after this), spend the thirty on eShop cred to buy Rocket League which I'd bet will be the same 26 it is on XB and PS. 

At this point in real money I count 12.50 for Morphite, and Sonic, Doom, and Rocket League are covered with surveys or left over gift cards, most of which are from surveys anyways.

The missus loves buying presents and shit, and despite us both being atheists, she still likes buying stuff for Christmas. Unfortunately for her, I have everything I want / hate everything so there's basically a compromise where she just buys me a game from late in the year I don't have. Last year she got me Mario Maker 3DS, this year I guess it's LA Noire or Lego Marvel 2. I'd probably buy Lego Marvel myself though so I can enjoy it in 2 player as soon as possible, whereas LA Noire I'm down to wait on.

So I guess the total I'm out of pocket for all these games is 12.50 and however much I end up paying for Lego Marvel 2, probably around 50 bucks. So basically, for the kickass month of November, I should be about 60 bucks out of pocket, and get all those games. Now all I need to do is make 60 bucks on survey points, given that Lego comes out so late, I can easily rock 60 bucks by the end of the month which then means recalculation time.

Spend 12.50

Let the missus buy you a game and feel good

Do a bunch of surveys and get Marvel for free

Be out of pocket just over 10 bucks for an amazing month of amazing games.

Yup. I got this November down.

Oh, and that doesn't even include the preorder of Battlefront 2 I already paid off back in June. To be fair though, I have a friend and she was gonna buy it either way, and I was probably gonna, so I basically signed into her account the night of her birthday, added my bank deets, and hit order. 100 is fucking ridiculous, but since we have eachother's accounts on our machines, we're both basically grabbing it for 50 a piece, I'd gladly pay 50 for me, and I'd gladly pay 50 to buy her a copy, so that's how I justify it. Also, bye!

Oh, and speaking of Marvel, apparently Australia got Thor 3 a bit before you guys in America.

Well, me and the missus finally got around to seeing it today and fuck me, it's good shit. I skipped the first one, saw Avengers and thought he was alright, went back and watched the first, got pretty pumped for the second, saw the second and never saw it again and wondered how they fucked it up so bad. But the third one man, they got it so good. Thor is an absolute badass in this movie and it just amazes me that the guy who directed this little Kiwi comedy called Boy  that I watched nearly over 5 years ago now has moved on to directing massive blockbusters.

Anyway, Thor 3 is great you guys, would definitely recommend if you want 2 hours of action and some great team up moments, from like 5 different characters. 

4 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Nope. I played it day one and couldn't wait for the patch. It played "fine" without the patch. Completely disconnected, that game loads fast and runs decently well, but the second you let it use your internet it is a fucking mess at times. The first patch was alright. The next one where they added the two levels was alright. The third one was when the bugs finally started popping up for me. Point being, the two or three DLC levels won't be there, but the game will install and run fine, in fact, better than it will with the patch. If you have the game lying around, give it a go and prove me wrong dude. It's been a couple years, I could be forgetting stuff.

Mine's expected sometime late November. Found a good price, grabbed it at the good price, later found one that was around about the same price but like 2 or 3 weeks quicker, guess I shouldn't have rushed in, either way, I'm excited.

WUPC might be supported directly someday, but I doubt it. There was a full in depth explanation as to why it probably won't, but I forgot the most of it. Anyways, I'd love if I could just plug it in, but it runs on Bluetooth even when plugged in so until the Switch wants to support that I'm left waiting for the Magic-NS.

Ah, there were rumors going around at launch the disc only contained the tutorial and the day one patch added the game in

Edited by SnowxSakura

Really enjoying Mario Odyssey.  I'm glad I decided to pick it up last Friday, after being on the fence about it for a while.

(Effectively got it for free trading in a bunch of old PS3/PS4 games that were no longer a part of my plan going forward, yay physical copies! ?)

If I had one complaint, I guess it'd be that the moons are a bit too plentiful.  Going back to SM64, there were 5-6 stars per area and they made sure the path to get them was rewarding.  In SMO, I round a corner and there's 2-3 moons in plain sight, and probably 2-3 more hidden in the same general area.  If they cut those in half and just kept the more fun/challenging/rewarding ones to get, it might make the process feel a little more... meaningful, for lack of a better term.

That aside though, the game is rock solid and keeps surprising me with fun and interesting new mechanics in each area.  My favorite so far is probably taking over the stretchy guys in the Lost Kingdom.  I could just stretch myself around for hours from platform to platform and amuse myself.

Now I just need more time to play during the week... probably won't get another chance really until next weekend, and even that's looking dicey time-wise. ?  Maybe squeeze in a little on Friday evening.

Edited by Dreakon13

Dang, is this a digital vs physical thread, or a Nintendo Switch thread? :P

Seriously though I don't mind side tracks, I'm usually guilty of that myself. I do find it interesting that PC gaming is like 99.9% digital now, movies are somewhere up there (maybe 50%?), and music seems to be mostly digital now also. Personally, I think it's weird that most people today seem to not want to buy music albums at ALL (physical or digital), and are okay with just using a streaming service like Spotify or Pandora. I guess that's different than games because gamers don't view games as 4-minute experiences that they can swap around with other games, like they do with music. But in my mind, music is a 40-minute experience that encompasses the whole album. I can't listen to "Something" without wanting to listen to the whole Abbey Road album, for example. 

Maybe console gaming is the last bastion of physical media for entertainment? I purchase a mix myself, but I prefer the convenience of digital for the most part. The biggest advantage of physical media for me, was printed manuals... and those have almost completely disappeared. I enjoy opening up Wii and PS3 game cases and flipping through the manuals sometimes. Now that this little extra is gone, I don't see the benefit. I feel like PS4/X1 games are so dependent on PSN and Xbox Live, that if those networks went away, those games would be unplayable or almost unplayable. But I have no problem with physical games still being made. Sometimes I get a better price by going physical, so I take advantage of that sometimes. I do like the environmental considerations of buying digital though. 

Anyway, back to the Switch. I love this little system. Yesterday I played some SMO before I started work for the day, and it is so cool to have a game of that scope and quality on a portable. This really is a nice successor to the Vita (which I still love, even if it's not getting as many shiny new games). I bet the Switch will do really well this holiday season. I'm looking forward to having some big 3rd party games in between major Nintendo games. I guess the next one is Xenoblade 2, and after that Yoshi and Kirby? 

41 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Dang, is this a digital vs physical thread, or a Nintendo Switch thread? :P

Seriously though I don't mind side tracks, I'm usually guilty of that myself. I do find it interesting that PC gaming is like 99.9% digital now, movies are somewhere up there (maybe 50%?), and music seems to be mostly digital now also. Personally, I think it's weird that most people today seem to not want to buy music albums at ALL (physical or digital), and are okay with just using a streaming service like Spotify or Pandora. I guess that's different than games because gamers don't view games as 4-minute experiences that they can swap around with other games, like they do with music. But in my mind, music is a 40-minute experience that encompasses the whole album. I can't listen to "Something" without wanting to listen to the whole Abbey Road album, for example. 

Maybe console gaming is the last bastion of physical media for entertainment? I purchase a mix myself, but I prefer the convenience of digital for the most part. The biggest advantage of physical media for me, was printed manuals... and those have almost completely disappeared. I enjoy opening up Wii and PS3 game cases and flipping through the manuals sometimes. Now that this little extra is gone, I don't see the benefit. I feel like PS4/X1 games are so dependent on PSN and Xbox Live, that if those networks went away, those games would be unplayable or almost unplayable. But I have no problem with physical games still being made. Sometimes I get a better price by going physical, so I take advantage of that sometimes. I do like the environmental considerations of buying digital though.

It can be a digital vs physical thread IN a Nintendo Switch thread. ;)

It's a relevant gaming topic regardless of platform... and topical for the Switch with Limited Run Games now publishing to it.

Gaming is a little different IMO as the convenience factor is negligible.  Most games (unlike music, television and movies) aren't broken up to be consumed in one sitting, and the "agonizing" process of standing up and swapping discs pales in comparison to the 8-100 hours and days/weeks/months you just spent playing one.  So whatever material benefit people see in the collectable nature of games might overpower their laziness, for the time being. xD

Of course, the Switch is a little different in the sense that it's portable and digital games are an extra layer of convenience being easily traveled with.  That's not the case with other mainline consoles though... and I personally don't use my Switch that way, so I welcome the physical collection.

EDIT: I think digital on PC became so popular because the process of installing, playing and patching games was so horribly convoluted back in the day... having everything coming from one place and "just working" filled a very critical need specific to the platform.  Obviously, that was never particularly an issue on console.

Edited by Dreakon13

It can be a digital vs physical thread IN a Nintendo Switch thread. ;)

It's a relevant gaming topic regardless of platform... and topical for the Switch with Limited Run Games now publishing to it.

Touché! 

Gaming is a little different IMO as the convenience factor is negligible.  Most games (unlike music, television and movies) aren't broken up to be consumed in one sitting, and the "agonizing" process of standing up and swapping discs pales in comparison to the 8-100 hours and days/weeks/months you just spent playing one.  So whatever material benefit people see in the collectable nature of games might overpower their laziness, for the time being. xD

On the topic of changing discs (which yes, is "agonizing"!), I like to work on multiple games at one time. For example, right now I'm playing The Wonderful 101 on Wii U, where missions take about 20-30 minutes each (they would probably be faster for players who are actually skilled at the game, unlike me). So on a typical evening, I finish one mission and then play a puzzle or two in Pushmo World, or Toki Tori, or some other small game to end my gaming session on a more relaxed note than a button-masher would. Having those games digital is great, otherwise I'd have to get up, open my gaming/TV credenza (which involves childproof locks since I have a toddler and an infant), fumble around for the disc eject button in the relative dark (unlike the PS4, the Wii U doesn't have a way to eject discs from the controller), then swap the discs. And I'd have to do that process twice every day I went through that routine. So I'm glad that I have some digital games, even if I do mix in physical ones. Another thing from Wii U is that it needs the disc to patch disc games (which is bad design on Nintendo's part, that's not an inherent issue with physical games), so my Download List would often pile up with patches for Super Mario Maker and Smash Bros when I was playing something else. 

Anyway, maybe I'm weird but I've always played a mix of games, even within a single system. On the Switch I'm playing SMO and Picross S daily. It's just my thing I guess, and it works so much better with digital games in the mix. 

And as I said, the main material benefit in owning physical games was always the manuals (and maps) for me. Now that they have gone the way of the dodo, physical games don't appeal to me much. I don't need to see dozens of cases on my shelves. I used to think I did, then I sold most of my CDs (my collection was getting too physically large) and started changing the way I viewed media collections. 

Of course, the Switch is a little different in the sense that it's portable and digital games are an extra layer of convenience being easily traveled with.  That's not the case with other mainline consoles though... and I personally don't use my Switch that way, so I welcome the physical collection.

You're doing it wrong! :P Seriously though, the portable factor of the Switch is so important for me that I sometimes forget there are a few people who just play it as a set-top console. Come to think of it, I started and finished Zelda BotW in portable mode (with maybe a combined 2 hours of docked play by the time I finished the story), and I have put in at least 2 hours in SMO and I haven't even played that in docked mode yet. But it's great that the Switch can do both, which is what makes it special. But honestly I would love it if it were just a replacement for the Vita and didn't even have a docked mode (I won't call it a 3DS replacement since dual-screen gaming offers something the Vita and Switch don't, IMO). 

EDIT: I think digital on PC became so popular because the process of installing, playing and patching games was so horribly convoluted back in the day... having everything coming from one place and "just working" filled a very critical need specific to the platform.  Obviously, that was never particularly an issue on console.

Boy do I remember those days. I was a PC gamer from 1993 until 2011 or so. I remember playing DOS games and having to use different boot-up options to optimize RAM usage for different games. Now THAT was truly agonizing. :)  I also remember Half Life 2 and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines coming out on the same day back in 2004 and I preordered them both. I think I played Vampire first, but when I started HL2, it was mandatory to install Steam - which I remember was pretty crappy back then. It was not a smooth launch at all. Who would have thought back then that Steam would become the number 1 game marketplace for PC (at the time it was just a glorified launcher, not even a digital marketplace IIRC), and that in 2017 we still wouldn't have a Half Life 3 because Valve stopped making games? 

Anyway, I was late to the console party, but once I got a Wii and a PS3, I stopped playing PC games and haven't looked back since. 

I signed up for Twitter so I could share some Mario pics, which I will do once I get back home and can connect my Switch to WiFi again. I was amused that both of my personal email accounts were already on Twitter, with accounts created by bots I think. So I "repossessed" one of them to use with the Switch. ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

On the topic of changing discs (which yes, is "agonizing"!), I like to work on multiple games at one time. For example, right now I'm playing The Wonderful 101 on Wii U, where missions take about 20-30 minutes each (they would probably be faster for players who are actually skilled at the game, unlike me). So on a typical evening, I finish one mission and then play a puzzle or two in Pushmo World, or Toki Tori, or some other small game to end my gaming session on a more relaxed note than a button-masher would. Having those games digital is great, otherwise I'd have to get up, open my gaming/TV credenza (which involves childproof locks since I have a toddler and an infant), fumble around for the disc eject button in the relative dark (unlike the PS4, the Wii U doesn't have a way to eject discs from the controller), then swap the discs. And I'd have to do that process twice every day I went through that routine. So I'm glad that I have some digital games, even if I do mix in physical ones. Another thing from Wii U is that it needs the disc to patch disc games (which is bad design on Nintendo's part, that's not an inherent issue with physical games), so my Download List would often pile up with patches for Super Mario Maker and Smash Bros when I was playing something else. 

Anyway, maybe I'm weird but I've always played a mix of games, even within a single system. On the Switch I'm playing SMO and Picross S daily. It's just my thing I guess, and it works so much better with digital games in the mix.

That's fair... now that I think about it, the thought of getting my NHL games digitally has crossed my mind.  So I could play it, and keep the disc in the machine of whatever long-running game I was currently on.

I never did end up doing that.  Mainly because PSN kept erroring out whenever I tried to buy NHL 17 and customer support completely bailed on me... but I get what you're saying.  Honestly I started playing older NHL games on the PS3 to get my fix without messing with the PS4, and now that I have an Xbox One on the way... the plan is currently to make that my Xbox exclusive, NHL, multiplayer online/split-screen machine. xD  The PS4/Switch will have their hands full with all the great exclusives already out and coming out in the next year or two... and the inevitable surplus of AAA and indie single player multi-platform games.

EDIT: Now I just need time to play all of them. ??

Edited by Dreakon13