Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

1 minute ago, Cubone said:

I'm not trying to have the last word, I feel fine with continuing the discussion. I just felt like posting some other stuff as well, that's all. I just 'moved on' within one post, sorry if my wording was unclear. Not a native English speaker, with 'moving on' I didn't mean I wanted to close the debate at all.

Sorry about that then, it's just rare to have a real discussion about this without people taking their ball and going home. :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cubone said:

@MosesRockefeller I recently started collecting amiibo, mainly as being collectables, and I bought a Mega Yarn Yoshi on a sale. It's so sweet...

I have the regular version of Yarn Yoshi (green one, the other colors are imposters!) that came with Yoshi's Wooly World for Wii U. Even the small version is really cute. 

39 minutes ago, Cubone said:

People, you really all should give Octodad a try. I'll play it myself right away, I'm going to try and see if the missus enjoys co-op and I'm going to surprise a few friends by giving them a controller each and just starting the game.

Hmm, according to Nintendo.com, the Wii U version is $15. Hopefully the Switch version won't cost more. I wonder if my 3-year-old would enjoy playing with me. She LOVES Octopuses and Squids. :)

6 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Speaking of Kevin Spacey, I feel very sad about the news about him. It must be very hard growing up unsure of your sexual identity in the society of a few decades ago. I'm not defending what he (allegedly) did, I'm just thinking that he's a victim too, in a way, that's just never an excuse to make victims yourself.

Yeah, that's a crappy situation all around. I thought it was crazy that Netflix canceled House of Cards based on one accusation against him (now there are more, so I wonder if the Netflix execs heard more than just the one allegation). His apology was terrible (although there probably IS no good way to apologize for alleged attempted rape, a short Twitter post is not the place to do it, and certainly not combining it with coming out), but that seemed like a drastic response. I understand the social backlash that could come with keeping the show in production, but let's not forget all the other actors and crew that earned a living making the show. 

But anyway, if he did what he's accused of, fuck him and he deserves having his career ruined. On the other hand, as you said it's just an allegation at this point. How do you prove or disprove something like that, 30 years later? 

And yeah, I'm sure it's hard to grove up in a culture that does not accept your identity, whether it's sexual, gender, racial, etc. I can't speak to that from personal experience since I'm not a minority in any important category, but I try to empathize with others who are in that situation. 

If I'm going to be doing the whole Nintendo thing (well, it's really a all-platforms thing since I have a PS4, Xbox One and a Switch now)... I'm a little tempted to pick up an amiibo or three.  Never have before, but they're neat little collectible trinkets and I like that sorta thing... plus they occasionally unlock stuff in games.  They work with the Switch, right?

14 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Sorry about that then, it's just rare to have a real discussion about this without people taking their ball and going home. :)

Not me, as long as other discussion partners know how to have a reasonable discussion with respect for different opinions, I'm all in. Doesn't matter if it's a 'real' discussion or a pointless one like 'birds versus fish', I like discussing stuff.

14 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I have the regular version of Yarn Yoshi (green one, the other colors are imposters!) that came with Yoshi's Wooly World for Wii U. Even the small version is really cute. 

The first Yoshi game already had colored versions though.

I'm still not comfortable with how much Yoshi's saddle looks like a shell these days.

Hmm, according to Nintendo.com, the Wii U version is $15. Hopefully the Switch version won't cost more. I wonder if my 3-year-old would enjoy playing with me. She LOVES Octopuses and Squids. :)

If it helps, the EU price kn the eShop is the same as it was on PS4 (€14) so you shouldn't see a change either.

It's not a long game (so perfect for one evening with your girl, or friends) and the controls are really weird, but that last one is kind of the point.

I read on Twitter today that their next game will be longer because they noticed how much lack of length became a negative on Octodad.

Yeah, that's a crappy situation all around. I thought it was crazy that Netflix canceled House of Cards based on one accusation against him (now there are more, so I wonder if the Netflix execs heard more than just the one allegation). His apology was terrible (although there probably IS no good way to apologize for alleged attempted rape, a short Twitter post is not the place to do it, and certainly not combining it with coming out), but that seemed like a drastic response. I understand the social backlash that could come with keeping the show in production, but let's not forget all the other actors and crew that earned a living making the show. 

But anyway, if he did what he's accused of, fuck him and he deserves having his career ruined. On the other hand, as you said it's just an allegation at this point. How do you prove or disprove something like that, 30 years later? 

And yeah, I'm sure it's hard to grove up in a culture that does not accept your identity, whether it's sexual, gender, racial, etc. I can't speak to that from personal experience since I'm not a minority in any important category, but I try to empathize with others who are in that situation. 

As I have heard it, a lot of House Of Cards employees (no exact number but it's not singular) have come forward about him as well, so it's likely true, but 'allegedly' as long as it's not been undecidedly proven. And yes, if he did those things then he's a horrible person, but I can't help but think about the circumstances that made him like that. As I said, not defending him, but I feel like there's a grading curve - like I have no sympathy at all for Trump or Cosby, but for Spacey, his (inexcusable!) actions would hint to me at him being a broken bird himself.

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

If I'm going to be doing the whole Nintendo thing (well, it's really a all-platforms thing since I have a PS4, Xbox One and a Switch now)... I'm a little tempted to pick up an amiibo or three.  Never have before, but they're neat little collectible trinkets and I like that sorta thing... plus they occasionally unlock stuff in games.  They work with the Switch, right?

Yeah both the pro controller and the right joycon can read amiibo.

Personally I only use them as collectables but is was cool when I realised I could use my SSB Link to unlock Epona in Breath Of The Wild.

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

The first Yoshi game already had colored versions though.

Oh I know, it's just that the green version is "my" Yoshi and the other ones just seem weird to me. I would wager that most people first encountered Yoshi in SMW, and even if not, most likely that's how they remember him. 

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

If it helps, the EU price kn the eShop is the same as it was on PS4 (€14) so you shouldn't see a change either.

It's not a long game (so perfect for one evening with your girl, or friends) and the controls are really weird, but that last one is kind of the point.

I read on Twitter today that their next game will be longer because they noticed how much lack of length became a negative on Octodad.

Hey, when you're a dad with young kids and you have a huge backlog, short games are a GOOD thing. And from what I have heard about the game, I don't think doubling its length would make it better. Some games are great with 20+ hour lengths, but if the length is just padded, screw that. Give me a short game instead in that case. 

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

As I have heard it, a lot of House Of Cards employees (no exact number but it's not singular) have come forward about him as well, so it's likely true, but 'allegedly' as long as it's not been undecidedly proven. And yes, if he did those things then he's a horrible person, but I can't help but think about the circumstances that made him like that. As I said, not defending him, but I feel like there's a grading curve - like I have no sympathy at all for Trump or Cosby, but for Spacey, his (inexcusable!) actions would hint to me at him being a broken bird himself.

Damn. If that's the case, then Netflix could realistically only cancel the show. Who would want to keep working on the show after that kind of news came out? 

I bet the Netflix execs are mad/disappointed how this tinges their first big hit. I wonder what "Best shows on Netflix" lists will look like a year or two from now? That show will forever have a stigma now. Hell, I wonder if Netflix will take it down at some point. 

I agree with you somewhat on the grading curve. I know of 3 separate instances of sexual abuse in my extended family, and in at least two of the cases, there are clear influences on the circumstances. It doesn't excuse those actions of course, but I can see the larger tragedies that led to the actual abuses. They are very different situations from Weinstein, Cosby, and others using positions of power to take advantage of people in the worst ways. 

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

@Cubone already answered, but I'll just add the probably-obvious hint here, that Link and Mario are the best bang for your buck in terms of working with the most games. As far as I can tell, the different versions are usually the same for game compatibility. E.g. you can use Smash Mario or SMO Mario and they work the same with any game that reads the Mario figure. SMO may be an exception to this though, the SMO amiibos may be special there. I haven't looked at any unlock lists or guides though, so I'm just guessing here based on the Peach dress discussion. But for all I know, Smash Peach unlocks the dress costume too? 

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Oh I know, it's just that the green version is "my" Yoshi and the other ones just seem weird to me. I would wager that most people first encountered Yoshi in SMW, and even if not, most likely that's how they remember him. 

I liked blue Yoshi from the start (flying is fun!) but I liked red Yoshi less, and yellow Yoshi was just weird. I'd go out of my way to get blue Yoshi in the bonus level, and then use him for everything.

Hey, when you're a dad with young kids and you have a huge backlog, short games are a GOOD thing. And from what I have heard about the game, I don't think doubling its length would make it better. Some games are great with 20+ hour lengths, but if the length is just padded, screw that. Give me a short game instead in that case. 

Personally I didn't think it was TOO short either. But Octodad is definitely one of the few games I'd pay €15 for if I knew in advance it was only two to three hours of playtime. Waited on a sale on PS4 but I enjoyed the game so much that I wish to fund them in full now.

Octodad could have done with some more low-key hijinks that the first bit was filled with, but the two free DLC shorts provided some more fun and added some more playtime. I'd say with the gameplay beying what it is, the game shouldn't be a ten hour experience. Depending on what their next game is... But yeah, short games are fine, long games are fine, it all depends on the games in question. Breath Of The Wild's story could have been longer, Escape From Butcher Bay was too long. And that's my opinion, others may think differently.

Damn. If that's the case, then Netflix could realistically only cancel the show. Who would want to keep working on the show after that kind of news came out? 

I bet the Netflix execs are mad/disappointed how this tinges their first big hit. I wonder what "Best shows on Netflix" lists will look like a year or two from now? That show will forever have a stigma now. Hell, I wonder if Netflix will take it down at some point. 

BBC had Savile and they're fine. House Of Cards is harsher to watch (haven't seen it but I've heard Spacey's character endulges in sex games) but it's just one show.

Naked Gun can still be watched even though OJ is in it. Braveheart is still watchable after Gibson's stints. There's no telling what the future will hold but I doubt it's the end of Netflix.

Supposedly season six was always the end of House Of Cards, and supposedly much of it has already been shot. I guess we'll hear what Netflix will do but firing Spacey (for now, forever if the accusations hold) and putting his almost-finished film on hold is probably the best thing to do. It's better to temporarily put an innocent man on hold than to keep employing a man who's actually guilty of the accusations that are now going around.

@Cubone already answered, but I'll just add the probably-obvious hint here, that Link and Mario are the best bang for your buck in terms of working with the most games. As far as I can tell, the different versions are usually the same for game compatibility. E.g. you can use Smash Mario or SMO Mario and they work the same with any game that reads the Mario figure. SMO may be an exception to this though, the SMO amiibos may be special there. I haven't looked at any unlock lists or guides though, so I'm just guessing here based on the Peach dress discussion. But for all I know, Smash Peach unlocks the dress costume too? 

Oh right, you asked earlier... There should be zero amiibo-exclusive costumes in the game and yes the wedding amiibo are the only ones unlocking the wedding outfits prematurely.

Sometimes different versions of Amiibo do different things but mostly in the games they're starring in - so different Links do different stuff in Breath Of The Wild. But both Donkey Kongs will unlock the same DK driving suit in Mario Kart.

17 hours ago, Cubone said:

@Z1MZUM basically states why I enjoyed WD2 more - it was actually fun to play. WD1 might have a better story and a more driven protagonist, and WD2 might have had blatant millennial pandering (seriously, I thought it was a parody at first), but WD2 is actually fun to play.

I don't need to agree with a main character to enjoy playing them, the only PC in GTA V I enjoyed as a person ironically was Trevor, but I didn't mind playing as the other two.

That's twice now so I get the feeling you want me to say it as well, here goes: fuck Sean Murray

I've played more than twenty now, don't think I've hit thirty yet but it will probably happen before the end of the year.

Let me know what you think of it. I eventually bought Sonic Mania at full price and enjoyed myself but I'm not a Sonic fan in general (Mania is the third Sonic game I've played more than a few minutes, after &Knuckles and Generations) and Forces gives me zero interest to play it. I'm hoping me and the many others on the internet are wrong and the game is awesome but having the demo only on the Japanese site as well as only a minute per level long, and once again putting more than half of the game in 2.5D gameplay does not give me any trust in the game.

Shame about your dock, by the way.

In other news, the missus and me got through Picross S, all with hints turned off. 't was a fun game, and 25-30 hours of playtime isn't bad at all. I might reset the puzzles at some point and do them on my own if we're on a holiday and I want to do something more relaxing than the games I usually have.

This Thursday or Friday we'll get the Snipperclips DLC so that's the next co-op venture. I'm hoping she will enjoy Starlink so we can co-op that but movements in a 3D plane, spaceships and shooting are three things she really isn't looking for in a game.

It's cool that so many games are coming out for the Switch that are co-op but unfortunately it's always difficult to find something my wife will enjoy playing too. Things like Shovel Knight and Blaster Master Zero can be shut down after she's heard the music for a mere two seconds.

I don't need to agree either, but I was mostly in the game for the story, and I just didn't want these guys to succeed the whole way through. Having had every single other trophy done was the only reason I finished the story, for the plat. The story was just ugh. I don't need to get behind them, I don't need them to be good people, hell, I don't even need them to be compelling, I just want the protagonists to not be absolute piles of shit oxygen wasters. 

It seems to be all anyone says about NMS. I mean. They're not wrong. I don't really give a shit, but like, he's flat out lied more times than I can remember and stuff like that should not be supported. NMS is I think the only game I bought preowned in the last couple years because of his bullshit.

It's good so far, I've done the first 15 odd levels and replayed a fair few for better ratings. This game may as well be called Generations 2, but I understand why they didn't, since outside of a couple nods so far, it all seems to be original levels. But it's Generations 2 in everything but name. The custom character is actually pretty cool too, and there's a pretty even split of Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic, and Spider-Man New Guy Who Can Shoot Ropes levels. Typical stupid plot, Eggman's out to get the world and a bunch of furries animals have to stop him, the end. But the gameplay is gooooold. It's good stuff. If Sonic Generations and Mania were already fighting out for the best Sonic of recent years, Forces is the lovechild of their divorce, or whatever. Cool new stuff, that still feels true to the cool old stuff. It's definitely worth a shot when it goes on sale, but I don't know if it's worth the full price for you, it's 60 here RRP, but Big W had for 49, which I got. At 50, that's only 10 or so less than the average day one AAA game, so I mean, I don't know. I feel if they could have done it for 40 it'd be an absolute bargain (which is just under half the standard AAA full price RRP here, so half yours and there you go). I mean, it's unfair, but I'm comparing it to Odyssey directly and Odyssey is just leagues better, but they're different games and I think Forces is well worth it, but if you can only get one, get Odyssey, every time. But if you have some spare dosh kicking around, go for Forces, it's a great little Sonic game so far. Let's just hope it doesn't end like half an hour from here, I get the feeling I'm not too far into the story which is nice.

Got a new dock and joy con set this morning. I actually got the dock to work again last night, the one thing I didn't try was fully powering off the Switch. I told the guy and he basically said better safe than sorry and gave me the new dock. Tell you what though, the new joy con without that odd desync stuff is great. I can play in all sorts of stupid positions like I would any other console now.

I relate to the co-op. Me: Does it have co-op? Yes, well, I guess I'll get it. Caitlyn: Yeah, I'm not interested, wanna play CoD?

11 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Heh, I finished the first level in Sonic Mania, and I was thinking it was enjoyable enough... then I played the second level with those stupid underwater areas where I suddenly died trying to jump on a platform. After a bunch of attempts I had enough and dropped the game. Fuck that game. I never owned a SEGA console growing up, so I guess I'm biased, but this game highlights why I like Mario and dislike Sonic. If the fans are correct in saying this is a authentic homage to the best Sonic games, then that series is 100% not for me. 

I'm glad it's fun for people who like the series though. But it is not for me. If I could play a Sonic game that wasn't just focused on speed, and I could actually see where I'm going and jumping, I might enjoy it. It might as well be an endless runner as far as I'm concerned, and I hate them too. Ugh. 

Also, slightly off topic but I read a post on Gamefaqs that reminded me why it's a horrible place (for user forum posts that is, the FAQs and tips are handy). Somebody was complaining that Nintendo was pandering to SJWs because the Wedding Peach Amiibo unlocks a wedding dress for Mario to wear in SMO. That's the problem with kids these days, they haven't experienced enough of the world to realize stuff like guys wearing wedding dresses is a time-honored comedic gag. Also, when has Nintendo ever pandered to anybody? They do their own thing and always have. Damn, that stupid comment annoyed me. This applies to so much of the world today, but what the hell is wrong with people??? 

It's pretty accurate to the Mega Drive Sonics. I love them, but I will be damned if I don't think it's fucking ridiculous how easy it is to die or fall off shit. Sonic Mania is a great tribute to those games, but those games are that kind of stupid a lot of the time. I save scum like crazy when playing the 360/PS3 versions of the old ones. I'll usually have a couple of saves PER LEVEL some are that bad. 

I'll tell you when they've pandered, when they took Mario wearing a sombrero off the cover art of Odyssey. That actually pissed me off. Or when they patched out the Splatoon girl's victory thing in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because it looked like she was flipping the player off. The second one, eh, whatever, but the sombrero is pretty lame of them to remove. I actually know a fair few Mexican and Latino people, and you know what they thought when they took it off the box? This one dude I know, he was sad because he was straight up going to buy it for the Mexican themed level and outfits. Didn't give a shit about Mario or anything, just wanted the getup. Pretty sure it's still in the game though, I don't know tbh, but it being taken off the box was a disappointment more than anything. He wasn't yelling at Nintendo about quote unquote cultural appropriation, the dickheads who have no idea and aren't even a part of the "affected" people most of the time were, and ruined something my friend was looking forward to.

9 hours ago, Joker said:

I don't remember any woman being important in Reservoir Dogs for example. Still it's a kick ass Film.

What's this to do with anything? If Rockstar wants to have a wiener-only story so be it.

Never understood that.

There are literally thousands of fantastic pieces of female-only media. The whole gender debate in media is absolutely bollocks nowadays.

Yup.

And I'm 99% sure everyone will disagree, but I'll throw my hat full on into the ring and say that I actually enjoyed the 2016 Ghostbusters, and saw it in cinemas twice.

6 hours ago, Cubone said:

BBC had Savile and they're fine. House Of Cards is harsher to watch (haven't seen it but I've heard Spacey's character endulges in sex games) but it's just one show.

Naked Gun can still be watched even though OJ is in it. Braveheart is still watchable after Gibson's stints. There's no telling what the future will hold but I doubt it's the end of Netflix.

Supposedly season six was always the end of House Of Cards, and supposedly much of it has already been shot. I guess we'll hear what Netflix will do but firing Spacey (for now, forever if the accusations hold) and putting his almost-finished film on hold is probably the best thing to do. It's better to temporarily put an innocent man on hold than to keep employing a man who's actually guilty of the accusations that are now going around.

I wasn't saying Netflix is in trouble, I was just saying House of Cards was their first big hit and it was always way up there on those best-of lists. Now it has a stigma. And I don't think Naked Gun and Braveheart are fair comparisons. OJ is a side character in the Naked Gun movies. Mel Gibson (to my knowledge) hasn't been accused of killing or raping anyone, he's just a racist idiot. Comparing that to Spacey's starring role in what I assume is every episode of House of Cards, is a different thing (I haven't seen the show either). 

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I'll tell you when they've pandered, when they took Mario wearing a sombrero off the cover art of Odyssey. That actually pissed me off. Or when they patched out the Splatoon girl's victory thing in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because it looked like she was flipping the player off. The second one, eh, whatever, but the sombrero is pretty lame of them to remove. I actually know a fair few Mexican and Latino people, and you know what they thought when they took it off the box? This one dude I know, he was sad because he was straight up going to buy it for the Mexican themed level and outfits. Didn't give a shit about Mario or anything, just wanted the getup. Pretty sure it's still in the game though, I don't know tbh, but it being taken off the box was a disappointment more than anything. He wasn't yelling at Nintendo about quote unquote cultural appropriation, the dickheads who have no idea and aren't even a part of the "affected" people most of the time were, and ruined something my friend was looking forward to.

I had forgotten about the cover art change. I don't know all the details so I'll just assume that Nintendo changed it to avoid offending people. But like you said, it's probably still in the game. I'm not sure how that's "ruining" the game for your friend if the actual game content isn't changed. I dunno, that seems like a silly thing to get upset about to me. Cover art changes all the time, for big and little reasons. But maybe I'm weird. I look at the cover once for 30 seconds when I take the disc/cartridge out, and never look at it again. And of course if I get digital I only see the cover art in the digital store when I'm buying the game. 

From everything I know, Nintendo of America is usually the one responsible for changes like this, and it doesn't seem they operate by pandering. I dunno, maybe they use focus groups or whatever, but I've never seen Reggie come out and say "people didn't like this so we changed it". What we always hear is that NoA didn't think something would be "wise" to market in the West, so they censored it. It always seems to be proactive rather than reactive, and I only ever see people complain about it. 

So I'm going to stick with my opinion that the wedding dress costume is not pandering at all. But even if it is, shit, one female-oriented costume compared to tons of male ones? What a dumb thing for people to complain about. 

And I'm 99% sure everyone will disagree, but I'll throw my hat full on into the ring and say that I actually enjoyed the 2016 Ghostbusters, and saw it in cinemas twice.

I thought GB2016 was fine. I enjoyed the LEGO Dimensions story pack for it too. The problems the movie had weren't due to an all-female cast; if anything it just suffered at times from the same stuff that affects pretty much all modern comedies, like forced jokes and what not. I also thought the trailers had most of the best parts. I didn't love all the cast equally, but I liked at least 3 of them fine. Female Egon didn't quite do it for me but I liked the rest a lot. I also loved Thor's character and Bill Murray's cameo. 

Honestly though my favorite line was when the mayor said "don't compare me to the mayor from Jaws!" Having seen Jaws for the first time a few months before GB2016 (I know, I'm weird), that line was funny AND timely for me! 

It's pretty accurate to the Mega Drive Sonics. I love them, but I will be damned if I don't think it's fucking ridiculous how easy it is to die or fall off shit. Sonic Mania is a great tribute to those games, but those games are that kind of stupid a lot of the time. I save scum like crazy when playing the 360/PS3 versions of the old ones. I'll usually have a couple of saves PER LEVEL some are that bad. 

Yeah, I just don't find that nonsense fun. In Mario games I always feel like falling off is due to a mistake I made or didn't make. When I played Sonic Mania it was completely different, and just felt frustrated almost the entire time. It annoys me because I always wanted to like the Sonic games. But they're just not for me, it's time I accepted that. 

5 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

It seems to be all anyone says about NMS. I mean. They're not wrong. I don't really give a shit, but like, he's flat out lied more times than I can remember and stuff like that should not be supported. NMS is I think the only game I bought preowned in the last couple years because of his bullshit.

The music was excellent though, glad I went to a 65daysofstatic concert.

It's good so far, I've done the first 15 odd levels and replayed a fair few for better ratings. This game may as well be called Generations 2, but I understand why they didn't, since outside of a couple nods so far, it all seems to be original levels. But it's Generations 2 in everything but name. The custom character is actually pretty cool too, and there's a pretty even split of Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic, and Spider-Man New Guy Who Can Shoot Ropes levels. Typical stupid plot, Eggman's out to get the world and a bunch of furries animals have to stop him, the end. But the gameplay is gooooold. It's good stuff. If Sonic Generations and Mania were already fighting out for the best Sonic of recent years, Forces is the lovechild of their divorce, or whatever. Cool new stuff, that still feels true to the cool old stuff. It's definitely worth a shot when it goes on sale, but I don't know if it's worth the full price for you, it's 60 here RRP, but Big W had for 49, which I got. At 50, that's only 10 or so less than the average day one AAA game, so I mean, I don't know. I feel if they could have done it for 40 it'd be an absolute bargain (which is just under half the standard AAA full price RRP here, so half yours and there you go). I mean, it's unfair, but I'm comparing it to Odyssey directly and Odyssey is just leagues better, but they're different games and I think Forces is well worth it, but if you can only get one, get Odyssey, every time. But if you have some spare dosh kicking around, go for Forces, it's a great little Sonic game so far. Let's just hope it doesn't end like half an hour from here, I get the feeling I'm not too far into the story which is nice.

Good to hear you're enjoying yourself, I'm hearing very mixed responses about the game.

I relate to the co-op. Me: Does it have co-op? Yes, well, I guess I'll get it. Caitlyn: Yeah, I'm not interested, wanna play CoD?

That's somehow even worse as if she plays Call Of Duty, she knows how to handle a camera and should be able to handle most co-op games you can throw at her. My wife isn't a gamer at all so I'll also have to look at difficulty level, meaning whatever we play together is only challenging for me because I often need to instruct my wife at the same time.

It's a Speedy Gonzalez thing, where people not part of the group in question think it's racist, but the group in question thinks it's nice and cool because it's a very positive character. What's in Odyssey is more of a celebration of aspects of Mexican culture, with some big drops of Dia de Muertos in particular. Stereotypes aren't always the same thing as racism, I'm not offended by clogs, tulips and windmills either.

I like the new Ghostbusters, went to the cinema once and I bought the blu-ray (the extended version adds some cool stuff, by the way). It's a complete different thing from the old films but really funny in its own right, and I thought every second of Kate McKinnon (Dr. Holtzmann) was pure gold.

And I loved the first Ghostbusters film but in contrast to the memberberry fans, I thought the second movie really wasn't that good.

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I wasn't saying Netflix is in trouble, I was just saying House of Cards was their first big hit and it was always way up there on those best-of lists. Now it has a stigma. And I don't think Naked Gun and Braveheart are fair comparisons. OJ is a side character in the Naked Gun movies. Mel Gibson (to my knowledge) hasn't been accused of killing or raping anyone, he's just a racist idiot. Comparing that to Spacey's starring role in what I assume is every episode of House of Cards, is a different thing (I haven't seen the show either). 

My bad, you said "Netflix might take it down at some point" which I misread as Netflix itself might be taken down.

About comparisons: nothing I heard about Spacey goes beyond inappropriate comments and groping, something Trump gets away with constantly (while even bragging about the latter). Yet the USA still chose him as president... Is it worse with Spacey because some of the victims were male instead of them all being female? Is it worse because one was 14 instead of all being 16-19?

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I had forgotten about the cover art change. I don't know all the details so I'll just assume that Nintendo changed it to avoid offending people. But like you said, it's probably still in the game. I'm not sure how that's "ruining" the game for your friend if the actual game content isn't changed. I dunno, that seems like a silly thing to get upset about to me. Cover art changes all the time, for big and little reasons. But maybe I'm weird. I look at the cover once for 30 seconds when I take the disc/cartridge out, and never look at it again. And of course if I get digital I only see the cover art in the digital store when I'm buying the game. 

From everything I know, Nintendo of America is usually the one responsible for changes like this, and it doesn't seem they operate by pandering. I dunno, maybe they use focus groups or whatever, but I've never seen Reggie come out and say "people didn't like this so we changed it". What we always hear is that NoA didn't think something would be "wise" to market in the West, so they censored it. It always seems to be proactive rather than reactive, and I only ever see people complain about it. 

So I'm going to stick with my opinion that the wedding dress costume is not pandering at all. But even if it is, shit, one female-oriented costume compared to tons of male ones? What a dumb thing for people to complain about. 

I thought GB2016 was fine. I enjoyed the LEGO Dimensions story pack for it too. The problems the movie had weren't due to an all-female cast; if anything it just suffered at times from the same stuff that affects pretty much all modern comedies, like forced jokes and what not. I also thought the trailers had most of the best parts. I didn't love all the cast equally, but I liked at least 3 of them fine. Female Egon didn't quite do it for me but I liked the rest a lot. I also loved Thor's character and Bill Murray's cameo. 

Honestly though my favorite line was when the mayor said "don't compare me to the mayor from Jaws!" Having seen Jaws for the first time a few months before GB2016 (I know, I'm weird), that line was funny AND timely for me! 

Yeah, I just don't find that nonsense fun. In Mario games I always feel like falling off is due to a mistake I made or didn't make. When I played Sonic Mania it was completely different, and just felt frustrated almost the entire time. It annoys me because I always wanted to like the Sonic games. But they're just not for me, it's time I accepted that. 

Not really chiming in on the Kevin Spacey stuff. Personally, I think he did it. Coming out like that was bullshit and it's pathetic, on top of that, if you knew you didn't do it, you would deny it. He straight out just said sorry and tried to move on. Not cool. Anyway, the only reason I'm talking on this point is because your defenses don't really apply. I think House of Cards, I think Kevin Spacey. I haven't seen an episode of it, all I know is he's in it. Naked Gun on the other hand, Leslie Neilson is about all I remember, and Elvis's wife/daughter/whichever it was was in one of them. I remember OJ getting run over perfectly fine, I remember his part in it, but his part is tiny and I don't associate him with the movie. I couldn't watch something like Lethal Weapon and not think of Gibson and his bullshit through the years either. 

On the surface, yeah, it is silly. But it's a point of pride to the guy. It's like me, I didn't really care about Forza at all, but I got the one set in Australia and even bought a shirt of it, solely because "Fuck yeah, Straya Pride" I guess. It was the same for him, he was stoked on seeing the Mexican iconography, and at first, took their removal of it from the cover to mean it would be out of the game entirely. Anything with the slightest Mexican/Latin style swing to it and he jumps on it, he's the one who convinced me to get into Guacamelee years ago for example. It's not a big issue, but the point is that these people complaining that it demeans a culture or that it's disrespective to it's people or whatever, have no fucking idea 9 times out of 10. I don't think Nintendo were pandering per se, I think they were just trying to avoid some bullshit that they didn't need to deal with, and I get that, as it was, as far as I know, a pre-emptive action, I can get with it, but if they had have done it in response to idiots yelling I'd be annoyed.

I didn't really dig Thor in that movie, he was over the top stupid and just there for the sex appeal, which I can get down with, I understand the point they're making, but the guy was just useless to the plot and beyond stupid. Which, I know, is probably the argument of people complaining about females being relegated to such roles all the time, and I agree, that usually annoys me too. I'm all for stupid people, but when their sole trait is that they're stupid, I don't really like them. But also the "sassy black girl" character who's name I forget was just fucking terrible on every angle and she was by far the worst part of the movie for me. Shouldn't surprise though when she's been terribly unfunny in other shit, and is a genuine racist on Twitter, so long as we're still vaguely connected to SJW stuff.

Yeah man. I love me some Sonic, but they hard. I agree 100%. I've been replaying through the old ones here and there on Xbox since early this year and I clocked 1-3 and most of Knuckles, but some of 3 and K honestly take like 20 odd minutes per level. Gotta go slow I guess.

8 minutes ago, Cubone said:

The music was excellent though, glad I went to a 65daysofstatic concert.

Good to hear you're enjoying yourself, I'm hearing very mixed responses about the game.

That's somehow even worse as if she plays Call Of Duty, she knows how to handle a camera and should be able to handle most co-op games you can throw at her. My wife isn't a gamer at all so I'll also have to look at difficulty level, meaning whatever we play together is only challenging for me because I often need to instruct my wife at the same time.

I like the new Ghostbusters, went to the cinema once and I bought the blu-ray (the extended version adds some cool stuff, by the way). It's a complete different thing from the old films but really funny in its own right, and I thought every second of Kate McKinnon (Dr. Holtzmann) was pure gold.

And I loved the first Ghostbusters film but in contrast to the memberberry fans, I thought the second movie really wasn't that good.

Gotta be honest, I don't remember a single bit of the OST. But to me, that can be a good thing. If nothing is super mega memorable then everything fit really well and wasn't distracting.

So far I dig the crap out of it. I am enjoying the create a character customization waaaay more than I thought I would. I went into this with the code for other Sega series' suits and was full on expecting I'd just dress up as Shadow and play the whole thing that way, but how they hand out new bits of content to dress up in is done really well and encourages replaying levels you didn't get an S rank on the first time. I will say this though, it's pretty easy so far. Not so easy that it bores you, but easy enough that you think the game misheard you when you said hard mode. Which reminds me, I was playing on hard mode the whole time, so actually, yeah, it might be pretty easy.

She didn't really give a toss about games until a few years ago when she got a PS3, which I honestly assume was to just get into something I was into, which is pretty cool really. But nah, she doesn't play a lot of different things, check out her account www.psnprofiles.com/caitlyn171 and see the games she's played if you're interested, mind you she plays more on Xbox anyway. But there's a bit of variety, but not a shitload. She mostly just plays a bit of Black Ops here and there, we actually went to a fair few midnight launches too, in fact, I think Ghosts was either our first or second "real" date. We did play a fair bit of THPS for a while though, but yeah, mostly just CoD. Which is like, a bummer to me, because I'd love nothing more than to hammer out some Guitar Hero with her, but no interest. Oh well. I still try her on the odd thing, and we do play through the Lego games, a fair few of them actually. 

Oh really, would it be worth checking out the extended version? We've not really seen it in probably a year or so and I actually have been meaning to jump in again. And yeah dude, Kate McKinnon was doooope. Never heard of her before this movie, but she was so good in that role I'd freakin' watch the Magic School Bus thing she was working on if it ever comes out.

@MosesRockefeller @Super-Fly Spider-Guy seems we conflict a bit in thinking who's enjoyable in Ghostbusters.

Moses, the 'female Egon' character is McKinnon's Holtzmann, who Spider and I adore (I also hadn't heard of her before this movie). I thought she was super funny and easily the best person in the film.

I agree with Moses that Hemsworth was funny as well. I can appreciate stupid for the sake of stupid when it's this silly, just like Leslie Nielsen could be stupid with a complete straight face.

Spider, I don't recall every single thing of the extended cut but it adds over fifteen minutes of runtime. It adds some jokes here and there, replaces some stuff, and does a few big things like finally showing us during the movie why the hell all the agents at the end were suddenly standing still Saturday Night Fever style.

17 hours ago, Cubone said:

I agree. Don't know if you saw my post a few above where you quoted Moses but my first point in the discussion was being on the fence, since while I do think everybody should be able to feel included in our society (and this makes me an SJW in some people's eyes), I also feel like some people can take it too far, like advertising their minority character for the sake of having one. As I said in that earlier post, in a perfect world characters could be gay or straight or whatever and it would neither be a problem nor a reason for extra attention.

Speaking of Kevin Spacey, I feel very sad about the news about him. It must be very hard growing up unsure of your sexual identity in the society of a few decades ago. I'm not defending what he (allegedly) did, I'm just thinking that he's a victim too, in a way, that's just never an excuse to make victims yourself.

You are a really pleasant person to talk to, you know that?

Yeah, the thing about Spacey is, these allegations are based off of 'he-said' what happend 30 years ago.

Not to undermine anything, IF he did do it, he should be held accountable and suffer necessary conquences.

But as you said, it must be anything but easy to grow up that way.

On a more B2T-Style post:

I played through Phantom Trigger past week. I grabbed it from the Halloween Sale on it's last day for 7,49€.

And I have to say I was pleasently surprised. It's a neat little indie hack & slash with a rather interesting story und great visuals

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cubone said:

@MosesRockefeller @Super-Fly Spider-Guy seems we conflict a bit in thinking who's enjoyable in Ghostbusters.

Moses, the 'female Egon' character is McKinnon's Holtzmann, who Spider and I adore (I also hadn't heard of her before this movie). I thought she was super funny and easily the best person in the film.

I agree with Moses that Hemsworth was funny as well. I can appreciate stupid for the sake of stupid when it's this silly, just like Leslie Nielsen could be stupid with a complete straight face.

Spider, I don't recall every single thing of the extended cut but it adds over fifteen minutes of runtime. It adds some jokes here and there, replaces some stuff, and does a few big things like finally showing us during the movie why the hell all the agents at the end were suddenly standing still Saturday Night Fever style.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. My friend who is a huge Ghostbusters classic fan (as opposed to me, who saw it for the first time as an adult 10-ish years ago) LOVED Holtzmann, and she was easily my least favorite character of the 4. My wife outright hated her, while I just disliked her. It seemed to me like she was trying too hard. My wife also hates Kristen Wiig but I am indifferent to her. I thought her character here was fine. We're both big Melissa McCarthy fans, so she was probably my favorite, but Leslie Jones was easily my second favorite.

And in contrast to Spider, I thought Leslie Jones (Patty) was great and one of my favorite characters. Sadly her best line was revealed in the trailer though (when the crowd drops her and she says something like "I don't know if this was a woman thing or a black thing, but I'm mad as hell"). I mean I guess some people think that's pandering to SJWs, but fuck that, I thought it was hilarious. My wife wasn't a fan of the movie overall though, near the end she said "I hope you didn't buy this" (after which I quietly hid the Blu-ray).

You explained my enjoyment of Thor in the movie very well. The whole wearing glasses without lenses thing just cracked me up because it was just silly stupid. I don't look at him and think "damn, these feminists are insulting men!"

It's a Speedy Gonzalez thing, where people not part of the group in question think it's racist, but the group in question thinks it's nice and cool because it's a very positive character. What's in Odyssey is more of a celebration of aspects of Mexican culture, with some big drops of Dia de Muertos in particular. Stereotypes aren't always the same thing as racism, I'm not offended by clogs, tulips and windmills either.

I agree with your point about Odyssey, but are Mexican and Latino people really not bothered by Speedy Gonzalez? I don't really follow this stuff but I have Looney Tunes on DVD and I always assumed Speedy was something everyone was embarrassed about. Yeah, I can see how Speedy could be considered a positive character, but if you watch those cartoons, everyone in it is a sterotypical white view of Mexicans at the time, and that is probably what bothers people more than Speedy himself.

About comparisons: nothing I heard about Spacey goes beyond inappropriate comments and groping, something Trump gets away with constantly (while even bragging about the latter). Yet the USA still chose him as president... Is it worse with Spacey because some of the victims were male instead of them all being female? Is it worse because one was 14 instead of all being 16-19?

Wait, didn't the Star Trek Discovery actor say Spacey tried to seduce him? I'd call that attempted rape, which is worse than inappropriate comments and groping. And as far as comparisons go, I think a lot of people still don't see a problem with stuff like groping, as crazy as that sounds. A couple of guys at my work joked about Bush Sr groping that girl (and it's since come out that it's multiple people, and he makes a JOKE about groping them) for fuck's sake.

As far as Trump goes, I don't want to get too political but he's an embarrassment to my country and world leaders everywhere. Somehow he has this cult of personality where he gets away with whatever the hell he wants. It's mind boggling. I'm very happy that yesterday my state and another state sent a message to the nation that we rejected Trump and any association with him (and in classic Trump style, he Tweeted last night that the GOP candidate for governor "did not represent his values" despite his insane campaign ads using the same anti-immigration scare tactics. I think it's hilarious how Trump tries to distance himself from losers and try to erase his past support from everyone's memory). But yeah, I don't think anyone understands how he can just get accused of everything and get away with it. The guy could probably have ties to organized crime and get away with literal murder.

Not really chiming in on the Kevin Spacey stuff. Personally, I think he did it. Coming out like that was bullshit and it's pathetic, on top of that, if you knew you didn't do it, you would deny it. He straight out just said sorry and tried to move on. Not cool. Anyway, the only reason I'm talking on this point is because your defenses don't really apply. I think House of Cards, I think Kevin Spacey. I haven't seen an episode of it, all I know is he's in it. Naked Gun on the other hand, Leslie Neilson is about all I remember, and Elvis's wife/daughter/whichever it was was in one of them. I remember OJ getting run over perfectly fine, I remember his part in it, but his part is tiny and I don't associate him with the movie. I couldn't watch something like Lethal Weapon and not think of Gibson and his bullshit through the years either.

I'm confused. You say "my defenses don't really apply" but then you seem to agree with me about Naked Gun (also, side note Elvis' daughter was in all 3 movies)? So are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me? Anyway, I do agree with you about Gibson, but I can somewhat separate the actor from his or her movies. But it's a scale; it's easier for me to look past Gibson being a racist asshole than Cosby being a rapist.

On the surface, yeah, it is silly. But it's a point of pride to the guy. It's like me, I didn't really care about Forza at all, but I got the one set in Australia and even bought a shirt of it, solely because "Fuck yeah, Straya Pride" I guess. It was the same for him, he was stoked on seeing the Mexican iconography, and at first, took their removal of it from the cover to mean it would be out of the game entirely. Anything with the slightest Mexican/Latin style swing to it and he jumps on it, he's the one who convinced me to get into Guacamelee years ago for example. It's not a big issue, but the point is that these people complaining that it demeans a culture or that it's disrespective to it's people or whatever, have no fucking idea 9 times out of 10. I don't think Nintendo were pandering per se, I think they were just trying to avoid some bullshit that they didn't need to deal with, and I get that, as it was, as far as I know, a pre-emptive action, I can get with it, but if they had have done it in response to idiots yelling I'd be annoyed.

I guess that makes sense. One of the things about being a white American is I don't really have a strong cultural background to be proud of. I mean my mom's distant relatives were Danish but I've never been there, so I don't feel any sense of identity there. My point is, it's harder for me to identify with a person being proud of their cultural background so to me, Mario Sombrero-gate ain't a big deal.

Also, kudos to your friend for getting you into Guacamelee. I didn't need to understand the culture to love the game, but damn that game is great. I Platinumed it on Vita and PS4, and I also own it on Wii U. If it eventually comes out on Switch I'll probably play through it again. I love that game.

As far as being demeaning or disrespectful, I think it's a tricky area. I think almost everyone agrees that old movies with white actors in blackface is disrespectful. Old cartoons with bucktoothed Asian characters is disrespectful. Most of the stuff we see now is far more aware than those exaggerated stereotypes. The complaining about Iron Fist on Netflix, casting a white actor as the main character was a weird issue. On the one hand, it's silly to complain about a character being portrayed the same way he always was in comics. On the other hand, I sympathize with people of Asian descent complaining that Asian characters are typically sidelined and downplayed in Hollywood. And it's not like changing characters can't be done well. At some point (prior to the movies I think, but I may be wrong), Marvel changed Nick Fury from white to black, and it's hard for me to imagine anyone other than Samuel L Jackson as that character now. He did such a great job.

But then you have to ask who is deciding something is demeaning. If a white person is preaching from a soapbox that all this stuff is demeaning to other races, isn't that offensive in itself? Like all we need is another majority race making decrees. I dunno, it's a messy thing.

2 hours ago, Joker said:

You are a really pleasant person to talk to, you know that?

Yeah, the thing about Spacey is, these allegations are based off of 'he-said' what happend 30 years ago.

Not to undermine anything, IF he did do it, he should be held accountable and suffer necessary conquences.

But as you said, it must be anything but easy to grow up that way.

Thanks!

If it was only one person and thirty years ago, I'd be more critical but apparently more people have spoken out against Spacey, including several people from House Of Cards, so it's much more recent.

Side note, I understand how one person coming out about abuse of any kind against a media personality can open a floodgate of sorts (as if breaking a taboo), but the hashtag #metoo has been incredibly poorly chosen, as if asking for ego attention.

2 hours ago, Joker said:

On a more B2T-Style post:

I played through Phantom Trigger past week. I grabbed it from the Halloween Sale on it's last day for 7,49€.

And I have to say I was pleasently surprised. It's a neat little indie hack & slash with a rather interesting story und great visuals

B2T?

I might get Phantom Trigger later on but I have so many other games at the moment...

8 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. My friend who is a huge Ghostbusters classic fan (as opposed to me, who saw it for the first time as an adult 10-ish years ago) LOVED Holtzmann, and she was easily my least favorite character of the 4. My wife outright hated her, while I just disliked her. It seemed to me like she was trying too hard. My wife also hates Kristen Wiig but I am indifferent to her. I thought her character here was fine. We're both big Melissa McCarthy fans, so she was probably my favorite, but Leslie Jones was easily my second favorite.

And in contrast to Spider, I thought Leslie Jones (Patty) was great and one of my favorite characters. Sadly her best line was revealed in the trailer though (when the crowd drops her and she says something like "I don't know if this was a woman thing or a black thing, but I'm mad as hell"). I mean I guess some people think that's pandering to SJWs, but fuck that, I thought it was hilarious. My wife wasn't a fan of the movie overall though, near the end she said "I hope you didn't buy this" (after which I quietly hid the Blu-ray).

You explained my enjoyment of Thor in the movie very well. The whole wearing glasses without lenses thing just cracked me up because it was just silly stupid. I don't look at him and think "damn, these feminists are insulting men!"

I'm not such a McCarthy or Wiig fan but McCarthy was funnier than usual in this, I think.

I think Jones's best bit was when she face slapped the possessed McCarthy while yelling THE POWER OF PATTY COMPELS YOU!

I agree with your point about Odyssey, but are Mexican and Latino people really not bothered by Speedy Gonzalez? I don't really follow this stuff but I have Looney Tunes on DVD and I always assumed Speedy was something everyone was embarrassed about.

There's an actual trope about this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MexicansLoveSpeedyGonzales

Naturally, any stereotypical character will have some complainers bt as I understood, on the hole Speedy Gonzalez is appreciated.

Wait, didn't the Star Trek Discovery actor say Spacey tried to seduce him? I'd call that attempted rape, which is worse than inappropriate comments and groping. And as far as comparisons go, I think a lot of people still don't see a problem with stuff like groping, as crazy as that sounds. A couple of guys at my work joked about Bush Sr groping that girl (and it's since come out that it's multiple people, and he makes a JOKE about groping them) for fuck's sake.

Ow, I hought he only talked about groping and inappropriate comments? If it's actual seduction then yeah it could be argued as worse, though Trump still talks about 'grabbing a woman's pussy' like he's doing them a favour, like they want him to do it.

Decided to read the whole original interview and damn, it's bad. Though I'd still view Spacey as less despicable and more hurt himself than a Weinstein, Savile or Cosby. But, as I said at the start, I'm not making excuses for him, I just keep thinking anout the society he grew up in and had to hide who he was from.

51 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Side note, I understand how one person coming out about abuse of any kind against a media personality can open a floodgate of sorts (as if breaking a taboo), but the hashtag #metoo has been incredibly poorly chosen, as if asking for ego attention.

I know what you mean. I'm not sure what they should have picked instead. On the plus side, using MeToo can include men and anyone not identifying as a woman, which is a good thing. As we've seen with a few cases now, there are many cases of boys getting abused. But the nature of Twitter is already attention-grabbing, so using a hashtag that adds to that, just makes it seem more attention-grabbing. I do completely approve and support of the movement to expose people who are treating others badly though. It's just the method to do that is weird. Part of that is just me being an old relic who dislikes social media though.

I think Jones's best bit was when she face slapped the possessed McCarthy while yelling THE POWER OF PATTY COMPELS YOU!

That was another great Patty moment, which was ALSO ruined by the trailer IIRC? Anyway, I liked those two moments a lot.

Decided to read the whole original interview and damn, it's bad. Though I'd still view Spacey as less despicable and more hurt himself than a Weinstein, Savile or Cosby. But, as I said at the start, I'm not making excuses for him, I just keep thinking anout the society he grew up in and had to hide who he was from.

I agree about Weinstein. I don't know that much about Savile since that kind of news doesn't really make it over to the USA, but from what I've read he was similar. Cosby is a different scenario but also very despicable. It's possible the whole story about Spacey isn't out yet and it will get worse. It's still an evolving story.

So, I had forgotten the actual date but Miiverse shut down last night. Rest in Peace, Miiverse. I liked it but didn't use it very much. I have been using it to grab screenshots from my Wii U over the past few weeks (which are supposed to be zipped up and emailed to me). Thankfully there is a web browser workaround to post Wii U screens, but the 3DS will go back to "taking pictures of the screen with your cell phone" territory. I love how Nintendo improved screenshot functionality on the Switch. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the PS4 can be configured to just dump a screenshot by tapping the Share button, like the Switch does. That's an awesome feature, tapping for screenshot, holding for video, with no pop up menu requiring an additional button to choose picture or video, then another button to cancel back to the game. I just wish Nintendo hadn't chosen to kill Miiverse and go the lazy route with Twitter and Facebook as the only options. I hope they either open it up to more providers, or create a new iteration/evolution of Miiverse. It was a very cool community for gamers.

• Like 1

Best Buy Black Friday deals!

As a "Best Buy Rewards Or Whatever The Hell It's Called" (TM) member, I got an email about the Best Buy Black Friday "preview". Most of the deals are for X1/PS4, but the Switch gets some love too. Sadly this is only for US shoppers I assume... not sure if BB ships internationally. The prices are valid for November 23-25.

There are a few hardware accessories on sale, but who cares, right?

Super Bomberman R, 1-2 Switch, and Sonic Forces are $25.

Minecraft Story Mode, and Soldam: Drop, Connect, Erase are $15.

LEGO Ninjago Movie (the game), Disgaea 5, RBI Baseball 2017, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Rayman Legends, LEGO Worlds, and Monopoly are $20.

Puyo-Puyo Tetris, Cars 3: Driven to Win, and the Binding of Isaac are $30.

The best part is, based on past years, Gamers Club Unlocked members should save %20 ON TOP OF those prices. So $20 is actually $16 (plus tax of course), and $30 is $23.

Comments: I think there are some good deals here. The $30 games are too high for me. I'd also rather have Tetris and Binding of Isaac digitally. I'm strongly considering LEGO Ninjago, Disgaea 5, and Rayman Legends at $16 each. Super Bomberman R is a maybe for me. Sonic Forces, despite @Super-Fly Spider-Guy's recommendation, is probably a pass for me. But I dunno, would Sonic fans say even though old-school 2D Sonic is clearly not for me, new 3D Sonic might be? I have Rayman Legends on Vita, and Disgaea 3 and 4. I have not played Legends at all and I've only dabbled with Disgaea 3. But for those prices, it's really tempting to grab them on Switch.

EDIT: I wish amiibo were part of the BF sale. I would jump on a few of them at a discount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Best Buy Black Friday deals!

As a "Best Buy Rewards Or Whatever The Hell It's Called" (TM) member, I got an email about the Best Buy Black Friday "preview". Most of the deals are for X1/PS4, but the Switch gets some love too. Sadly this is only for US shoppers I assume... not sure if BB ships internationally. The prices are valid for November 23-25.

There are a few hardware accessories on sale, but who cares, right?

Super Bomberman R, 1-2 Switch, and Sonic Forces are $25.

Minecraft Story Mode, and Soldam: Drop, Connect, Erase are $15.

LEGO Ninjago Movie (the game), Disgaea 5, RBI Baseball 2017, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Rayman Legends, LEGO Worlds, and Monopoly are $20.

Puyo-Puyo Tetris, Cars 3: Driven to Win, and the Binding of Isaac are $30.

The best part is, based on past years, Gamers Club Unlocked members should save %20 ON TOP OF those prices. So $20 is actually $16 (plus tax of course), and $30 is $23.

Comments: I think there are some good deals here. The $30 games are too high for me. I'd also rather have Tetris and Binding of Isaac digitally. I'm strongly considering LEGO Ninjago, Disgaea 5, and Rayman Legends at $16 each. Super Bomberman R is a maybe for me. Sonic Forces, despite @Super-Fly Spider-Guy's recommendation, is probably a pass for me. But I dunno, would Sonic fans say even though old-school 2D Sonic is clearly not for me, new 3D Sonic might be? I have Rayman Legends on Vita, and Disgaea 3 and 4. I have not played Legends at all and I've only dabbled with Disgaea 3. But for those prices, it's really tempting to grab them on Switch.

If that price would translate to €20 for Bomberman, I'd get it.

... Well, probably. I have much more games now than back when I said Bomberman should have been 20 and Fast RMX should have been 50. I might wait for 15 or 10, I feel like there are many other games more deserving of my time and money.

So apparently and as expected, I haven't hit the 20 hour mark in Odyssey yet.

I don't remember who recommended Stardew Valley (I think at least @angelgrievous was involved but I may be confused with Axiom Verge and I believe it was several people) but thank you all, I'm at 20+ joy filled hours now. I basically bought it because I was semi-curious and felt like funding this one man developing team for that low price he asked, but I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It's my fourth most played game on the Switch and it will probably overtake Mario+Rabbids and Picross S soon (both at 25+).

Also, L.A. Noire is €50 on the eShop now, just as expensive as the retail version instead of €10 cheaper like the PS4 and X1 versions. Yeah, definitely not getting it right away now. €10 more buys me Skyrim for half the storage room and I haven't even finished that one.

Edited by Cubone

39 minutes ago, Cubone said:

If that price would translate to €20 for Bomberman, I'd get it.

... Well, probably. I have much more games now than back when I said Bomberman should have been 20 and Fast RMX should have been 50. I might wait for 15 or 10, I feel like there are many other games more deserving of my time and money.

It should be $20, plus tax of course. I dunno, I'm still on the fence. On the other hand I don't know how likely it is to go lower. Nintendo games usually don't drop enormously, but it is a second party Nintendo game, not a first party one.

23 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It should be $20, plus tax of course. I dunno, I'm still on the fence. On the other hand I don't know how likely it is to go lower. Nintendo games usually don't drop enormously, but it is a second party Nintendo game, not a first party one.

I'm Dutch, all prices I see are tax already included, I never even think about if something will be added :)

I often hear people saying Nintendo games don't go down in price but on the eShop, I see the following:

Super Mario 3D World for €25

Super Mario 3D Land is €20

Zelda: Skyward Sword is €20

zelda: Ocarina 3D is €20

Zelda: Wind Waker HD is €25

Zelda: Link Between Worlds is €20

And those are the regular prices without a sale, I think I recall a huge Zelda sale just before Breath Of The Wild arrived, with Link Between Worlds at €10 or less.

Anyway, Octodad comes out tomorrow! Have you decided on buying right away or are you going to wait for (peer) reviews?

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

I'm Dutch, all prices I see are tax already included, I never even think about if something will be added :)

Yeah, most of Europe (and maybe the rest of the world) does that, like UK with the VAT. USA is weird, because sales tax is done at the state level, which means every state picks their own rates. Amazon and other online marketplaces avoided the issue initially by not charging tax, but now most online vendors have to charge tax if they have a physical presence in that state (e.g. a distribution center), at least in my state it works that way. We have an Amazon distribution center so I pay tax at Amazon. Best Buy has always charged me tax online or in-store, since that's a regular brick-and-mortar company with an online presence. Digital products don't incur tax at all, whether it's Amazon MP3, a Nintendo eShop gift card bought at Gamestop, PSN, or the eShop itself.

I think it would be easier if we charged sales tax at a flat rate at the Federal level instead of at the state level. But I'm sure that would piss off all the "state rights" fans.

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

I often hear people saying Nintendo games don't go down in price but on the eShop, I see the following:

Super Mario 3D World for €25

Super Mario 3D Land is €20

Zelda: Skyward Sword is €20

zelda: Ocarina 3D is €20

Zelda: Wind Waker HD is €25

Zelda: Link Between Worlds is €20

And those are the regular prices without a sale, I think I recall a huge Zelda sale just before Breath Of The Wild arrived, with Link Between Worlds at €10 or less.

To be fair I said Nintendo games don't drop in price "enormously", which I stand by. And your example list is all older games. Wind Waker HD is 4 years old. Horizon Zero Dawn is $20 at Best Buy for Black Friday, and it's actually on sale for that price right now. I've seen it on sale at $30 or less a LOT over the past few months. That's a 8-month-old game. I haven't seen a drop like that from Nintendo ever. I mean it's kind of ridiculous that Splatoon 1 on Wii U is $50 in 2017, especially when there is a sequel out.

They are getting better with eShop sales and price cuts and drops on the big games, so that's good. But the sales definitely aren't as big or as frequent as on PS4, X1, or especially Steam. And that's fine. If Nintendo is positioning themselves as offering premium gaming experiences without loot boxes and microtransactions, and markets their lack of huge sales that way, I'm on board with that.

But anyway, in terms of Super Bomberman R, my point with the price comment was that it probably won't go below this Black Friday price for a good while. Maybe next Black Friday, if it's still on anyone's radar at that point.

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

Anyway, Octodad comes out tomorrow! Have you decided on buying right away or are you going to wait for (peer) reviews?

I'm about 60% sold on it. I probably won't get it right away though. I'll definitely read a review before getting it.

@MosesRockefeller lucky... Horizon Zero Dawn is still €65 new over here. For what I see on PSN and here retail, the prices I mentioned are pretty good for digital games that sell well and have gotten great reviews.

Now Pokémon, on the other hand, those will probably never go down in price. I'll probably just get the Switch version day one digitally.

On Octodad, I am almost sure I will buy it tomorrow.

On 11/7/2017 at 7:01 PM, Dreakon13 said:

Yeah, Switch has a NFC reader in the other Joy-Con. Pro Controller has one too.

Some of the stuff you can unlock with amiibos is pretty nice too, like a wolf companion in Zelda: Breath of the Wild or extra dungeons in Fire Emblem Echoes (3DS). There's a list of amiibo compatibility and a little description about what they do in which game on the official Nintendo UK site.

I wasn't terribly interested in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 earlier. Then they showed a fluffy tiger mount thing and announced free Japanese audio DLC. Now it's definitely on my radar and if it gets good enough reviews, I might get it regardless of my ever-growing backlog. I can forgive the clunky running animations for great gameplay and fluffy kitties. ?

Edited by Eyjabria

31 minutes ago, Cubone said:

@MosesRockefeller lucky... Horizon Zero Dawn is still €65 new over here. For what I see on PSN and here retail, the prices I mentioned are pretty good for digital games that sell well and have gotten great reviews.

Now Pokémon, on the other hand, those will probably never go down in price. I'll probably just get the Switch version day one digitally.

And of course I got Horizon Zero Dawn at a slight discount a month or two after it came out... and I still haven't touched it! First world problems.

I still have trouble converting Euros to USD (since your typical price points aren't necessarily straight conversions), but from the numbers you gave, if 65 Euros is the equivalent of our $60 new game price, then yes those Nintendo games being 20-25 is a good discount. The way it works over here, $60 is the standard Switch pricing and $40 is the standard 3DS pricing. However, a few 3DS games have been $50. Back in the Wii U era, there would sometimes be price cuts where a Wii U game would go down $10. And they had the Classics line for Wii, Wii U, and 3DS where they would be much cheaper (e.g. Wii Classics were $20, and the Virtual Console Wii games on Wii U were also $20). The Switch hasn't been out long enough to have any permanent price drops yet as far as I can tell.

What's interesting is that Pokemon games actually do go on sale over here sometimes. And sometimes Best Buy or Target will do Buy 2 Get 1 Free promotions on Nintendo games, so you could get Pokemon X or Y, Mario 3D Land, and Smash Bros for $80 when they were all still $40 each.

52 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Yeah, Switch has a NFC reader in the other Joy-Con. Pro Controller has one too.

Some of the stuff you can unlock with amiibos is pretty nice too, like a wolf companion in Zelda: Breath of the Wild or extra dungeons in Fire Emblem Echoes (3DS). There's a list of amiibo compatibility and a little description about what they do in which game on the official Nintendo UK site.

That's actually a great website. I like the "recommended" section when you pick a game. I haven't noticed something similar for the Nintendo US site, so I'm going to bookmark the UK one. Thanks!

And of course I got Horizon Zero Dawn at a slight discount a month or two after it came out... and I still haven't touched it! First world problems.

What are you still doing here? Go play it!

I got it a few months after release in a trade, and traded it on again myself afterwards. Gameplay isn't anything special but that story gets more amazing the more you discover.

I still have trouble converting Euros to USD (since your typical price points aren't necessarily straight conversions), but from the numbers you gave, if 65 Euros is the equivalent of our $60 new game price, then yes those Nintendo games being 20-25 is a good discount. The way it works over here, $60 is the standard Switch pricing and $40 is the standard 3DS pricing. However, a few 3DS games have been $50. Back in the Wii U era, there would sometimes be price cuts where a Wii U game would go down $10. And they had the Classics line for Wii, Wii U, and 3DS where they would be much cheaper (e.g. Wii Classics were $20, and the Virtual Console Wii games on Wii U were also $20). The Switch hasn't been out long enough to have any permanent price drops yet as far as I can tell.

Actually the Euro is worth more than the Dollar. Used to be a lot more but it sank. A good rule of thumb these days is about a 15% difference (either way, it's close enough for both) so 65 Euro would be about 75 Dollar but, and this is something we always get pissed about, price conversions Dollar to Euro always just swap the sign and leave the number, zero change. Octodad is one of the bare few games which doesn't do $15=€15 but even games like that don't make the difference big enough.

What's interesting is that Pokemon games actually do go on sale over here sometimes. And sometimes Best Buy or Target will do Buy 2 Get 1 Free promotions on Nintendo games, so you could get Pokemon X or Y, Mario 3D Land, and Smash Bros for $80 when they were all still $40 each.

Sales, sure, but the main price is still €45 over here even for X/Y.

2 hours ago, Cubone said:

What are you still doing here? Go play it!

I got it a few months after release in a trade, and traded it on again myself afterwards. Gameplay isn't anything special but that story gets more amazing the more you discover.

My current open-world game is AC Syndicate. When I'm done with that I'll probably need to take a break. I can't do open world games one after the other for very long. I definitely need to switch gears to more linear games in between or I get bored. I'll get to Horizon eventually. 

2 hours ago, Cubone said:

Actually the Euro is worth more than the Dollar. Used to be a lot more but it sank. A good rule of thumb these days is about a 15% difference (either way, it's close enough for both) so 65 Euro would be about 75 Dollar but, and this is something we always get pissed about, price conversions Dollar to Euro always just swap the sign and leave the number, zero change. Octodad is one of the bare few games which doesn't do $15=€15 but even games like that don't make the difference big enough.

I know the Euro is worth more, what I mean by "equivalent" is what I tried to explain in a previous post. Whatever your standard "new game full price retail amount" is compares to our $60 because that's our full price retail amount for new games. I know they're not the same actual amount of money, which is unfortunate. As you say, 65 Euro is about 75 Dollars (is the Euro always singular/collective plural? Dollar becomes Dollars when you have more than one, unless you're using slang), so you're paying more there. And then you have on top of that, the false equivalence of the numbers for game prices as you said. 

Anyway, my point is that 3DS (and Vita) games have always been 2/3rds of the price of PS4/X1/WiiU/Switch games. I think Wii games may have been $50 instead of $60 (I didn't buy any new games by the time I got a Wii so I don't know for sure), but everyone has had their main consoles at $60 for new games, barring the reduced price stuff (like Sonic Forces for example). It looks like your 3DS pricing is pretty close to 2/3rds also, but I wasn't sure if that was the case before you mentioned it. It looks like we're roughly equivalent, except for international companies shafting Europe on false equivalency between currencies (and the rest of the world I guess; I know I've heard Australia has the same issue).