Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

3 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Question to people who bought Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 on Switch: Do the games include Japanese audio with English subs?

I only popped in the second game (I haven't redeemed the digital copy of the first game yet), but I remember seeing English and Japanese audio, and several additional text options. They are set independent of each other.

That being said, unless you are completely on the "sub" side of the dub/sub spectrum (i.e. the people who have written off localized dubs for all time instead of evaluating them case-by-case), the English voices in the first game were great. Only one of the returning characters changed voice actors, and he's now voiced by the guy who played the Cryptkeeper, so that seems like an improvement! Anyway, I'd recommend at least giving the English option a chance. Also, the first game is technically an English-language game to begin with. The Japanese track there was recorded specifically for the Wii U port (and later included in the PC port).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I only popped in the second game (I haven't redeemed the digital copy of the first game yet), but I remember seeing English and Japanese audio, and several additional text options. They are set independent of each other.

That being said, unless you are completely on the "sub" side of the dub/sub spectrum (i.e. the people who have written off localized dubs for all time instead of evaluating them case-by-case), the English voices in the first game were great. Only one of the returning characters changed voice actors, and he's now voiced by the guy who played the Cryptkeeper, so that seems like an improvement! Anyway, I'd recommend at least giving the English option a chance. Also, the first game is technically an English-language game to begin with. The Japanese track there was recorded specifically for the Wii U port (and later included in the PC port).

Thanks for the info! I prefer Japanese audio so it's good to hear there's the option for that. I think the only English dubs I've liked have been in Metal Gear Solid games and Persona 4 Golden. And while P4 voice acting was generally very good, there were some roles that grated my ears.

Do you mean Cryptkeeper from Tales from the Crypt TV series or something else completely? :D

5 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Thanks for the info! I prefer Japanese audio so it's good to hear there's the option for that. I think the only English dubs I've liked have been in Metal Gear Solid games and Persona 4 Golden. And while P4 voice acting was generally very good, there were some roles that grated my ears.

Do you mean Cryptkeeper from Tales from the Crypt TV series or something else completely? :D

Yup, the one and only Cryptkeeper!

There's nothing Japanese about the game except that it was designed there. I think the sequel is the same. So it's not like a Japanese game that clearly takes place in Japan, dubbed with English language.

Anyway, the nice thing about B1 and B2 is it has both options. You can give both a try if you want. I liked all of the English voices in P4G though, so take that with a grain of salt I guess. Yup, I even liked Teddie, who everyone hates. :)

Heads up: yesterday, a demo for Kirby popped up on the eShop. Could be a good way to decide whether or not to buy the game, if you're on the fence like me.

I wanted to play the demo together with the missus because I have a feeling it's more fun together, but apparently she was stuck on the "tired and annoyed" serting yesterday evening so I switched to playing something on my own and I'll try again later. For whatever reason, she doesn't like this kind of music even when she's not grumpy so trying to continue yesterday would ensure that she'd never play along with the full game. Sigh.

I'm turning around on Breath of the Wild a little.  Something about starting over and being more comfortable with the Switch joycons (which I wasn't really the first time around since BotW was my first Switch game) and knowing what I know, is making the intimidating freedom of its open world more palatable.  There's something to be said about a well crafted open world game that not only encourages you to venture wherever you like, but makes that kind of freedom/exploration a core feature.

Though I do find it a little frustrating the spike in enemy difficulties as I wander off in random directions.  On the one hand, it feels pretty chill as I explore the world and track down landmarks (towers, shrines, etc)... on the other, I feel like I'm constantly hitting walls of new and exponentially difficult enemies to learn just as I get into "chill exploration" mode.  I run away from them/run past them, usually because the weapon durability is s**t and it's not worth wasting 2-3 high quality weapons in my inventory (assuming I even end up victorious)... but the experience feels cheapened as a result.

Edited by Dreakon13

11 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

There's something to be said about a well crafted open world game that not only encourages you to venture wherever you like, but makes that kind of freedom/exploration a core feature.

Elite: Dangerous.

That is all.

Not that I'm saying Breath Of The Wild is not a good game; I loved it and I think objectively it's one of the best games ever, but Elite: Dangerous is amazing too and contrast to Zelda, Elite: Dangerous is much more a niche franchise.

I finally resumed playing Mario+Rabbids, and it's still great fun. I need to stop getting distracted and finish the game. I just started world 4.

I am considering buying Fear Effect Sedna and Subsurface Circular. Fear Effect Sedna looks cool, but reviews so far have not been great. So I'd be interested in feedback from anyone here who has played it. I loved Mike Bithell's previous games (Thomas Was Alone and Volume - which would both be cool to have on Switch by the way), and Subsurface Circular is cheap also... I think it's just a matter of time before I grab it.

Well, paying with gold coins is a fact now.

Unsure what I'll do with the 700-800 gold coins I have at the moment. I still haven't really played Kirby, but I probably should not wait on my wife any more and start looking if it's fun to play on my own.

I could also get Hollow Knigt if it releases in time, and I'm semi intrigued with The Trail: Frontier Challenge.

5 hours ago, Cool Rick said:

Well, paying with gold coins is a fact now.

Unsure what I'll do with the 700-800 gold coins I have at the moment. I still haven't really played Kirby, but I probably should not wait on my wife any more and start looking if it's fun to play on my own.

I could also get Hollow Knigt if it releases in time, and I'm semi intrigued with The Trail: Frontier Challenge.

Cool, that will help a lot with $20 digital games, and make them cheaper without waiting for a sale.

I forgot to mention before, but I have been trading in a lot of games to Gamestop. They don't always offer much, but it's easy and relatively painless. I find it helpful to clear out games that I already played on a different system, to downsize my physical collection a bit. When I traded in this last batch, I discovered I had $300 of trade-in-credit! So I redeemed some of it for a $99 eShop digital code, because I realized that it's not a great idea to walk around with a $300 trade card in my wallet.

21 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Cool, that will help a lot with $20 digital games, and make them cheaper without waiting for a sale.

I forgot to mention before, but I have been trading in a lot of games to Gamestop. They don't always offer much, but it's easy and relatively painless. I find it helpful to clear out games that I already played on a different system, to downsize my physical collection a bit. When I traded in this last batch, I discovered I had $300 of trade-in-credit! So I redeemed some of it for a $99 eShop digital code, because I realized that it's not a great idea to walk around with a $300 trade card in my wallet.

Sounds like how I managed to get my Switch plus Zelda and loads of extra stuff for only €0,09. Had a good laugh about that with the store employees.

45 minutes ago, Cool Rick said:

Sounds like how I managed to get my Switch plus Zelda and loads of extra stuff for only €0,09. Had a good laugh about that with the store employees.

I considered the fact that I could have bought a second Switch with that credit. Pretty cool. However, I'm not a complete idiot (just "mostly" an idiot :P )... I know that I paid well over $300 for those games that I've traded back, so it's not like $300 of "free money" or something. Still, at least they aren't sitting on my shelf collecting dust. I once thought "someday I will play through the Tomb Raider Trilogy again on PS3" even though I've played through them once on PC. In 2018, it's easier for me to look back at that purchase and call myself an idiot. I'm guessing I paid $20 for the disc and got like $2 back in trade value. But as I said, it's no longer on my shelf collecting dust (and mocking me). Anyway, no more double-dipping for me. I still may occasionally "upgrade" a PS3 game to PS4 or Switch, but only if it's a game I haven't played yet.

I'll probably use the remaining $200 of my trade money on PSN/eShop/Xbox e-store money, but I am tempted to buy a second pair of Joy-cons too.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

6 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also, there is a new Nintendo Direct tomorrow! 10 PM GMT

Wait WHAT

Edit: would there be any title they can announce that we don't know already? The upcoming title from Retro Studios, perhaps. Other than that it's probably more info on titles that we know about already. At any rate, it'll be fun, I'll watch it live if I get the chance

Edited by Cool Rick

6 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Sounds like Hollow Knight will be part of the direct and will get a release date. Finally. That's all I want right now. Hoping for some nice surprises as well.

Cool. The rumor is they might talk about Yoshi. We know Mario Tennis Aces is the main attraction though; that has been announced as the main part of the Direct.

As far as long shots, it would be cool to get news about Metroid Prime 4, or the rumored Pikmin 4. At this point I'm open to anything though, and I like being surprised in these Directs. I'd love to see something new and unexpected, like we got with Mario+Rabbids.

Code of Princess is really coming to Switch. Was thinking about this like 2 weeks ago and wondering why they haven't announced anything yet. https://gematsu.com/2018/03/code-princess-ex-announced-switch

Liked the original on 3DS regardless of some framerate issues and I'm willing to get this on Switch too. I just hope they will include Japanese audio because the English dub was awful.

29 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Pokemon Switch game is allegedly going to be a reboot.

Good. Get rid of the pixel graphics and make a real game.

Reboot won't necessarily mean no pixel graphics. Just saying, before you get your hopes up.

Reboot would be cool though. Bring back the old and decent pokémon (boooh luvdisc and sploink and onwards), and the oniy evil team that ever mattered (Meowth, that's right!).

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

Pokemon Switch game is allegedly going to be a reboot.

Good. Get rid of the pixel graphics and make a real game.

The last 4 Pokémon games have been 3D. Making the step from 2D sprites into 3D models made the games look generic and unappealing IMO.