[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

Couple of more games done for the monthly challenge...

100% completed on The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, a really creepy take on the walking simulator with a really good story.  Liked this a lot.

Platinum achieved on Zero Escape: The Nonary Games (and my 100th platinum!!).  Good, creepy atmosphere to the two escape room games (999 and Virtue's Last Reward).  Not sure if these qualify as horror or not, I think of them as weird thrillers (though I guess they could be horror in a Cube kind of way).  Definitely should qualify for the monthly award but I'll leave it to you if it qualifies for hardcore or not.

Also working on Among the Sleep and enjoying it.  Still working away at Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters.  Forgot to watch my friendship levels first time through so I have 2 full playthroughs still ahead of me to get the confessions I need so I'm not sure if I'll have it done by the end of the month or not.  We'll see how much play I get next week and how well my PSNow connection holds.

• Like 1

I haven't really touched anything for this month. No plats, and my only 100 % is Never Alone, which is wierd but not really creepy. I did finish the mp for TLOU, but since I need at least 1.5 full runs I won't be finishing that.

I've gotten fully sucked into Crypt of the Necrodancer and it's all I want to play. I did finish several runs of it, but technically the full story arc involves beating it with Cadence, then Melody, then Aria. I did the first two but probably won't get Aria before the end of the month so not even sure I should get a silver. Actually I don't need to actually do an all zone clear, juet need to beat each of the 4 zones, maybe I'll give that a shot. 

• Like 1

I had a rather ambitious list to play this month and I've done one. :facepalm:

On 10/21/2017 at 0:20 PM, MarkusT1992 said:

I liked Rayquaza in Emerald and the shiny version looks much better than the normal. Plus most mega forms are great. :P

Can't say I liked getting to Rayquaza.  :P

Cool legend, though, and definitely one of the best shinies.

19 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Couple of more games done for the monthly challenge...

100% completed on The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, a really creepy take on the walking simulator with a really good story.  Liked this a lot.

Platinum achieved on Zero Escape: The Nonary Games (and my 100th platinum!!).  Good, creepy atmosphere to the two escape room games (999 and Virtue's Last Reward).  Not sure if these qualify as horror or not, I think of them as weird thrillers (though I guess they could be horror in a Cube kind of way).  Definitely should qualify for the monthly award but I'll leave it to you if it qualifies for hardcore or not.

Also working on Among the Sleep and enjoying it.  Still working away at Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters.  Forgot to watch my friendship levels first time through so I have 2 full playthroughs still ahead of me to get the confessions I need so I'm not sure if I'll have it done by the end of the month or not.  We'll see how much play I get next week and how well my PSNow connection holds.

Updated; gave you a hardcore star for Vanishing, but I'm not too sure on Zero Escape. Did count it for this month of course, but I'm reasonably confident the only one I've played (and the one not in that collection...) is horror. That one struck me as a Saw ripoff.   :dunno:

Anyone that's played them care to chime in?

Among the Sleep looks like a good pick, hopefully you continue enjoying it!

1 hour ago, Hemiak said:

I haven't really touched anything for this month. No plats, and my only 100 % is Never Alone, which is wierd but not really creepy. I did finish the mp for TLOU, but since I need at least 1.5 full runs I won't be finishing that.

I've gotten fully sucked into Crypt of the Necrodancer and it's all I want to play. I did finish several runs of it, but technically the full story arc involves beating it with Cadence, then Melody, then Aria. I did the first two but probably won't get Aria before the end of the month so not even sure I should get a silver. Actually I don't need to actually do an all zone clear, juet need to beat each of the 4 zones, maybe I'll give that a shot. 

There's a lot of short horror games out there, and a decent number that would qualify from PS+ if you feel like poking around. No shame in enjoying something else, though - seems like a rhythm roguelike could be doubly addictive.

Good luck with those runs! :)

Edited by SyIaris
  • Like 1

I've finished the story for Wolf Among Us, Batman: Return to Arkham Asylum, Eventide 2: Sorcerers Mirror, and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Platted Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Sirens Call, but I only had one trophy to make that a Plat, so I don't count it.

I will Plat one of the above before the end of the month, but at least a silver star for me.

Accidentally played another game that fits the theme of the month! It even fits the hardcore requirement because it's not a horror game. Anima: Gate of Memories.

I did it for the Weeblympics event, so it counts for the Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event challenge. 

I ended up doing surprisingly well this month. I'm pretty shocked, and definitely glad I didn't skip like I was considering at the start of the month. x_x

On 23.10.2017 at 9:28 PM, MarkusT1992 said:

Finaly finished The Wolf among us. This took longer than planned. I played a lot of FIFA lately ;)

Should count as hardcore too.

I'm now exited for season 2 next year.

Maybe I can finish one of my hidden object games till the end of the month. Most of them should count as ceepy.

Since it wasn't updated yet I'm posting a reminder @SyIaris @Pikachu (The name change is confusing)

Here's the picture you can use 1Se782a5.png

Edited by MarkusT1992

Sorry about the wait, guys. I've been pretty useless this month.

Looks like group games are in the lead, though one-word's just behind and I could see remakes catching up too. Not much time left...

On 10/23/2017 at 0:28 PM, MarkusT1992 said:

Finaly finished The Wolf among us. This took longer than planned. I played a lot of FIFA lately ;)

Should count as hardcore too.

I'm now exited for season 2 next year.

Maybe I can finish one of my hidden object games till the end of the month. Most of them should count as ceepy.

Added. Same here, hopefully season 2 is as good as the first one!

Addictive timesink games can do that.  :P

On 10/23/2017 at 0:50 PM, Psy-Tychist said:

I've finished the story for Wolf Among Us, Batman: Return to Arkham Asylum, Eventide 2: Sorcerers Mirror, and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Platted Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Sirens Call, but I only had one trophy to make that a Plat, so I don't count it.

I will Plat one of the above before the end of the month, but at least a silver star for me.

Gave you the plat for TWAU since it seems to be done now.  :)

On 10/23/2017 at 1:13 PM, Cubone said:

I have played through South Park, and while it was an awesome game, I've taken a look at the trophies now and I don't care enough to go for the platinum.

... The Switch must be curing me...

... Anyway I guess that means that I'll stick with my silver for this month.

Might be good you aren't going for it, since a friend of mine was complaining about at least one trophy being glitched/unobtainable.

I'm guessing you're buried in Mario Odyssey now?

On 10/25/2017 at 7:57 PM, ExHaseo said:

Accidentally played another game that fits the theme of the month! It even fits the hardcore requirement because it's not a horror game. Anima: Gate of Memories.

I did it for the Weeblympics event, so it counts for the Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event challenge. 

I ended up doing surprisingly well this month. I'm pretty shocked, and definitely glad I didn't skip like I was considering at the start of the month. x_x

Nice work, got you updated.

Yeah, it helps that "creepy" is fairly loose and doesn't have to apply to the full game, just a reasonable portion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

Might be good you aren't going for it, since a friend of mine was complaining about at least one trophy being glitched/unobtainable.

I'm guessing you're buried in Mario Odyssey now?

Both Super Mario Odyssey and Assassin's Creed Origins, actually. Both great games.

22 hours ago, Cubone said:

Both Super Mario Odyssey and Assassin's Creed Origins, actually. Both great games.

Awesome! It'll probably be a while before I get around to AC, but I'm glad to hear you're enjoying both.

5 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

When will the theme be officially decided? On Halloween? 

It varies a bit, mainly depending on who gets to the updates first. I generally aim for morning/early afternoon (pacific) on the last day.

The last game for this month is finished.

I got the :platinum: for Nightmared from the Deep: The Siren's Call.

It's about a pact with Davy Jones who tansformed all people from a village in fishpeople. I guess this counts as ceepy?

If it does count it's also a hardcore star as it is not a horror game.

Looks like the group theme will win... Shame, I can't do anything with that as I have already played through Mario + Rabbids.

Unless actual group co-op games count, because I'm playing Alienation for the new KYC event. Not sure we'll even get to story completion though.

Nontheless, not a fun theme for me so I may just sit that one out.

31 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Looks like the group theme will win... Shame, I can't do anything with that as I have already played through Mario + Rabbids.

Unless actual group co-op games count, because I'm playing Alienation for the new KYC event. Not sure we'll even get to story completion though.

Nontheless, not a fun theme for me so I may just sit that one out.

Still one more day left. It might be tied. What am I saying?! Group theme for the win! :D

I was a little worried about this month, because I just wasn't feeling either Amnesia or Until Dawn. Happily, EU Halloween Sale set me up.

So, for this month, I'm going with Demon's Souls (EU), which I platted on Sunday. Few games get creepier than that. I don't know if it counts as a horror game, though.

Also, I voted group theme all the way. Any excuse to play a JRPG works for me.

Edited by starcrunch061

39 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I was a little worried about this month, because I just wasn't feeling either Amnesia or Until Dawn. Happily, EU Halloween Sale set me up.

So, for this month, I'm going with Demon's Souls (EU), which I platted on Sunday. Few games get creepier than that. I don't know if it counts as a horror game, though.

I think that would count, it's fighting monsters and demons after all.

39 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Also, I voted group theme all the way. Any excuse to play a JRPG works for me.

:( But it's such a constricting theme, only RPG or sports games, neither of which I like to play, instead of a theme that goes across game genre boundaries... I know that's weird coming from the guy who suggested "Games where you Assassin's Creed" as a theme but we all know that one would never have won.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

@Cubone - Do  you have any skips left? You can always substitute a plat instead of doing the theme. I had to do it 2x myself. 

I have all skips left but I feel like I should not use those... I am of the opinion that for this event, I should only use themed games. It's not like the theme is Vita while I don't have said console...

44 minutes ago, Cubone said:

(...)

:( But it's such a constricting theme, only RPG or sports games, neither of which I like to play, instead of a theme that goes across game genre boundaries... I know that's weird coming from the guy who suggested "Games where you Assassin's Creed" as a theme but we all know that one would never have won.

Actually, this theme says about a game you CAN play as a team/party/group - sports ans RPGs are good examples, but this theme is quite lenient, actually. Some examples:

Rayman Origins/Legends - when you play with 2~4 players, technically you're playing as a group (since you "have this option", these games would be considered eligible, even if they would be completed solo);

GTA - I don't know about story mode (I never had played GTA for a long time to know about it), but in some multiplayer sessions "heist parties" can be formed;

Several games with cooperative multiplayer and/or competitive multiplayer based on teams - while a team has/can have 3+ members, they will be eligible.

On other words, if in a game you can play as a group/party/team, formed by 3 or more characters (either CPU controlled, controlled by yourself, or controlled by other players), no matter if it is part of the storyline, a specific multiplayer section, or anything else, this game would be considered eligible for November's theme (obviously, if this theme win this poll).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoaoQuique said:

Actually, this theme says about a game you CAN play as a team/party/group - sports ans RPGs are good examples, but this theme is quite lenient, actually. Some examples:

Rayman Origins/Legends - when you play with 2~4 players, technically you're playing as a group (since you "have this option", these games would be considered eligible, even if they would be completed solo);

GTA - I don't know about story mode (I never had played GTA for a long time to know about it), but in some multiplayer sessions "heist parties" can be formed;

Several games with cooperative multiplayer and/or competitive multiplayer based on teams - while a team has/can have 3+ members, they will be eligible.

On other words, if in a game you can play as a group/party/team, formed by 3 or more characters (either CPU controlled, controlled by yourself, or controlled by other players), no matter if it is part of the storyline, a specific multiplayer section, or anything else, this game would be considered eligible for November's theme (obviously, if this theme win this poll).

I interpreted it as you having to actively control a team, but maybe @Pikachu or @SyIaris could shed some light on this... If the theme is as lax as you say it is then that would be very cool. I asked about Alienation in my first post about the theme today but hadn't gotten an answer yet, it's four player co-op which I will play with three others for the KYC event.

Yeah GTA has heists in single player, with you controlling the main trio (switching between them as wanted/needed) and you add a few NPC characters.

So...

Would Star Wars Battlefront II count? There's team vs team multiplayer. I will only play story though, in the story you play a squad leader but I'm unsure in what capacity you can control the actions of your squad members.

Would it count if you play as several members of a team in single player, but you never control more than one or two at the same time?

4 hours ago, Cubone said:

I interpreted it as you having to actively control a team, but maybe @Pikachu or @SyIaris could shed some light on this... If the theme is as lax as you say it is then that would be very cool. I asked about Alienation in my first post about the theme today but hadn't gotten an answer yet, it's four player co-op which I will play with three others for the KYC event.

Yeah GTA has heists in single player, with you controlling the main trio (switching between them as wanted/needed) and you add a few NPC characters.

So...

Would Star Wars Battlefront II count? There's team vs team multiplayer. I will only play story though, in the story you play a squad leader but I'm unsure in what capacity you can control the actions of your squad members.

Would it count if you play as several members of a team in single player, but you never control more than one or two at the same time?

Another example of games would be some fighting games. In Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Infinite you fight 3 vs. 3.

Apart from that most teams are in RPGs, especially JRPGs.

I would say that singleplayer games with a group should count even when you only controle one. Agents of Mayham would be an example for that. Your team consists of three members from which you control one, but you can switch between them.

You could also try to platinum South Park for next month.

Edited by MarkusT1992