PS3 Officially Ceases Production in Japan

Parker

People laughed at the 10 year life cycle claim and PS3 matched that, plus an additional year. Console went through hell for the first few years, but man what a turn around it had. Turned into a fantastic console and had an amazing library.

RIP you beautiful bastard.

9 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Sony sold PS2 consoles for *years* after ceasing production. And sold new games for PS2 for years after that. 

Um, the PS2 only ceased production in 2013. And on top of that, games had pretty well ended being made around 2011, outside of the odd FIFA or PES game.

4 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Um, the PS2 only ceased production in 2013. And on top of that, games had pretty well ended being made around 2011, outside of the odd FIFA or PES game.

You are correct apparently. I took my Sony reps word for it when they said they stopped production in 2011 and my PS2 bundles (Toy Story, maybe) would not be replenished after they sold through, and that was at the end of 2012. I still had at least three new PS2 titles in stock at the time, in addition to a dozen or so older titles. 

33 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

I think the way PSN is built between PS3 and PS4, I dont think Sony will fully stop PS3 support. I mean look at it, your PSN acct is multi linked between PS3, PS4 and vita. So while game servers may close, and production may cease. I think 5 or 10 more years down the road, if you earn PS3 trophies, PSN will still be active on your PS3 so you can link it all together

I have no doubt that trophies will always sync, that's why I specified the online trophies. Eventually the game servers for PS3 games will go down. Maybe the Sony games themselves will stay up, but there's no real way of knowing for sure how they're going to handle that. So, might as well go for all the online trophies you can now.

I hope we'll have all of the digital ps3 games on the ps4 store to " purchase!! " not to freaking rent them and streaming them like how the PS Now is doing.

we have ps2 games on ps4, even though still not all games but we still can buy them and play them as much as we can, why it can't be the same on ps3 games?

As long as PS3 games make enough money through either digital copies on PSN or streaming through PSnow I doubt they'll shut down the servers for licence verification and trophy syncing, but finishing all of those online multiplayer trophies sooner than later might be a good idea. ?

I sold my PS3 so i could buy PS4. Also i sold games for PS3. But... i was thinking it was very bad idea, so... few weeks ago i have bought PS3, and few games. and you know what. I dont regret it. Games are so cheap, and there are more great games than on PS4 that i want to play. I regret that i have bought PS4 on premiere (and sold my games, they were clean, and those which i have bought are... bweh...), but not buying PS3. Besides, now im only waiting for cyberpunk 2077 from CD RED PROJECT on PS4 and drop price of few games.

Yeah... PS3 is great.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, A_KlR_A said:

I sold my PS3 so i could buy PS4. Also i sold games for PS3. But... i was thinking it was very bad idea, so... few weeks ago i have bought PS3, and few games. and you know what. I dont regret it. Games are so cheap, and there are more great games than on PS4 that i want to play. I regret that i have bought PS4 on premiere (and sold my games, they were clean, and those which i have bought are... bweh...), but not buying PS3. Besides, now im only waiting for cyberpunk 2077 from CD RED PROJECT on PS4 and drop price of few games.

Yeah... PS3 is great.

I did exactly the same. Sold more than 60 games that I have phsically. And I am so regretful. Now  got new PS3 and playing the games I have from my old account.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2017 at 1:41 PM, Parker said:

It is the end of an era, the PlayStation 3 had an almost 11 year run and while it had a slow start (I bought my 60gb PS3 on launch day) it picked up steam and quickly became, in my opinion, the best choice for a gaming system in the last generation. 

Even though it looks like the PS3 will be Sony's worst selling home console (over 80 million units is still far from a failure) there is no denying that it was a great system and it has a ton of classic games. 

Is there any stores that sell a brand new PS3? Because I really need one right now since my PS3 died. I ain't gonna lie, I am disappointed that it died that quickly, only lasting four years compare with my PS2 and Atari 2600 that still run perfectly. Then again, I had the Super Slim PS3 which I heard they aren't actually that good since some people reported that their Super Slim PS3 died a year after release.

Edited by TheVader66

17 hours ago, TheVader66 said:

Is there any stores that sell a brand new PS3? Because I really need one right now since my PS3 died. I ain't gonna lie, I am disappointed that it died that quickly, only lasting four years compare with my PS2 and Atari 2600 that still run perfectly. Then again, I had the Super Slim PS3 which I heard they aren't actually that good since some people reported that their Super Slim PS3 died a year after release.

Usually GameStop has pre owned ps3's that is still around my area. Of course you should go to Amazon since they always got what you need as a second option 

Edited by Superstarmaste1r
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheVader66 said:

The Target stores in my area have PS3s in stock, even though they have none on the website. Also my brother bought a PS3 from a Target in San Jose at the end of last year, so I'm fairly certain they're still available brand new in stores, even in California. 

• Like 1