First time in Nintendo World, help!

Natsuu24

Hi guys!!
Yesterday, i got a nintendo 3ds xl for 100€ (well, i only paid 30, because i did some trades) with 2 years warranty!! Not bad deal i think :D

Now, is my first time in this world! The games i want really play is Pokemon, Mario and Zelda!! Then, i want to discover other good games. But for now, i would like to start with pokemon, but i really dont know where to start... There is so many games, and sometimes they look the same :o Where i need to start ?? Wich game i buy first ?? 
Ohh, and there are free games on eshop ??

I don't know about free games, but full games I recommend are Smash Bros, Kid Icarus Uprising, and Animal Crossing New Leaf. Those are pretty much the only 3DS games I put a good amount of time into.

Also, if you make a My Nintendo account and get enough points (by visiting the site every week, among other things) you can get a free Zelda Picross game.

Oh yeah, I also play a lot of Tomodachi Life. It's really stupid and weird, but it's kinda hilarious.

Edited by OhDearGodRun

Oh boy, where to begin.  You have so many choices and so many directions you could go.  Virtual Console, remakes/remasters, new stuff, first gen DS games.  The list is forever.  I want a 3ds for a lot of reasons but I'm still holding out for VC on Switch.  Here is what I would check out:

• Pokemon Sun and Moon
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask 3D
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening
  • Super Mario: 3D World
  • Like 1

Grats on your new console! Nintendo 3DS is probably my favorite console of all time. :)

It doesn't really matter what Pokémon game you play first. My personal favorite from the series is Pokémon Black 2 / White 2. It's the last game to still have those amazing sprite visuals, the gyms are superb and the end game content + other additional features were good. Pokémon X / Y was the first 3D model Pokémon game if that's more to your liking and it is so far the best of the 3D Pokémon games in my opinion. 

Some of my favorite games on Nintendo 3DS aside from Pokémon have been Bravely Default, Persona Q, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Fire Emblem Awakening and Fire Emblem Echoes. Fantasy Life is a nice combination of action RPG and some sort of life sim, I enjoyed it quite a lot. Also finished Ever Oasis some time ago and it was a very charming action RPG. Kirby: Planet Robobot is a really fun platformer. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is a remaster of the Nintendo 64 game that has been regarded as the greatest game of all time by many publications. The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds is another game that you might want to look into. 

As I haven't played every 3DS game out there and don't know if my gaming tastes are similar to yours, I'd recommend checking out the best 3DS games of all time list at Metacritic to see what you might be interested in: http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/3ds?sort=desc

You can get many free demos from eShop (downloaded Monster Hunter Stories demo myself today) and sometimes you get some smaller games for free via your My Nintendo account. There are also some minigames preinstalled in the 3DS which you can access via StreetPass Mii Plaza.

1 hour ago, Natsuu24 said:

Hi guys!!
Yesterday, i got a nintendo 3ds xl for 100€ (well, i only paid 30, because i did some trades) with 2 years warranty!! Not bad deal i think :D

Now, is my first time in this world! The games i want really play is Pokemon, Mario and Zelda!! Then, i want to discover other good games. But for now, i would like to start with pokemon, but i really dont know where to start... There is so many games, and sometimes they look the same :o Where i need to start ?? Wich game i buy first ?? 
Ohh, and there are free games on eshop ??

You should have got a Vita instead, bruh . I'm selling mine for 60€ and propose that deal to you on othet thread but you didn't said nothing about it . I have a New 3DS XL but don't use it much anymore cause the Vita takes much more time of playtime for me now . I recommend Fire Emblem Awakening , Animal Crossing New Leaf and Ace Attorney trilogy . The other good thing about 3Ds is that you can also play DS games which i like very much to buy too to play on my 3DS .

• Like 1

@Sigma999 I think better, and ended up buying this Nintendo. More cheap, and now i will have the best of two worlds (Playstation (my main platform <3 and now, try some nice titles on nintendo). And i have 2 years guaranty for this nintendo, wich is very nice! :)

Anyway, so, for Pokemon i can start from any ?? 
And for Zelda ?? 

I cant find the old GBA games on eshop. Is they there ?? 

9 hours ago, Natsuu24 said:

@Sigma999 I think better, and ended up buying this Nintendo. More cheap, and now i will have the best of two worlds (Playstation (my main platform <3 and now, try some nice titles on nintendo). And i have 2 years guaranty for this nintendo, wich is very nice! :)

Anyway, so, for Pokemon i can start from any ?? 
And for Zelda ?? 

I cant find the old GBA games on eshop. Is they there ?? 

I was selling my Vita for 50/60 € , isn't that cheaper than your 3DS which was 100€ ???

Pokémon you can start from any , only played Pokémon Y but sold that after more than 300h of playtime and i've had enough of Pokémon already and also have SoulSilver complete in cart box w/ Pokéwalker but not much into playing that with only 10h . For Zelda i can't recommend any cause i wanted to get into the series but from what i've played , only got ne more away from the series which were A Link to the Past (SNES) and Majora's Mask 3D (3DS) however i heard that Ocarina of Time 3D and A Link Between Worlds are good ones and easy to get into but no personal opinions about it . 

No GBA games on eshop for 3DS unfortunately,  you got get those GBA Pokémon games on an actual GBA or emulate them on Pc/phone .

Edited by Sigma999

For Pokemon, Mario and Zelda, you can pretty much just start from any game. Almost all of them in the series are pretty stand alone, so you won't be lost in terms of the story.

I've been a Nintendo fan since 4, and I started Pokemon since Red, Zelda since Ocarina of Time, and Mario since Super Mario Bros 3 I think.

Honestly for Pokemon, I'd say start at the beginning if you can and work your way up, mainly because if you play the latest games now, if you ever want to go back and see what the older games were like, they WILL be painful to play after being "spoiled" by the new ones, because they lack a lot of features that you end up just taking for granted in the newer games.

Red, Blue and Yellow (the first Pokemon games) are now available on the eshop, and the sequels, Gold and Silver, and being added to there next month. Ruby and Sapphire would be hard to obtain now since they're GBA games, and the 3DS can't play those anyway, but thankfully those games were remade in 2014 for the 3DS. Diamond, Pearl, Platinum and the Black and White games may be more tricky to obtain, since you likely won't find them in stores any more, and they're still quite expensive nowadays, even pre-owned. They are for the original DS though, so they will still work on the 3DS.

There's also Firered and Leafgreen, remakes of Red and Green/Blue, also on the GBA, and HeartGold and SoulSilver, remakes of Gold and Silver for the DS. Those are definitely worth playing too, since they do actually add quite a bit of new content. But of course, the first games are for the GBA, and HeartGold and SoulSilver tend to be the most expensive games out of the DS era, from what I've seen.

But if you don't want to start where it all began, then I'd say go with X or Y, or AlphaSapphire or OmegaRuby. Sun and Moon are more experimental, and add (and unfortunately remove) a lot of features to the games. They remind me more of Colosseum and XD: Gales of Darkness back on the Gamecube, which were some of the most experimental Pokemon RPGs; great games, pity they never got sequels. Personally, I'd say definitely play X/Y or Ruby/Sapphire remakes first, because they're more "classic" Pokemon games.

As for Zelda, I'd definitely recommend going with Ocarina of Time to start with. That was my first Zelda back on the N64, and I actually just replayed it recently on the 3DS. It isn't hailed as one of the greatest games of all time for no reason, and I think it's a very good place to start the series with.

And for Mario, you really can just start anywhere you like there. It primarily has two types of games, the more classic 2D ones, and the 3D ones. It's up to you which to start with, I'd recommend going 2D first, especially since 3D Land isn't really that great imho, but still worth playing. The best 3D Mario games for me were 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1 and 2.

Edited by SuperSmexy500

12 hours ago, OobiGod said:

SomethingSomething SMT game on the 3ds

Fix'd.

Honestly you're getting a 3DS at exactly the wrong time. Unless you actually plan to play outside your house, you could have just as easily played them on you computer. Specifically the franchises you asked about you're actually better off just going to emulation.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For Pokemon I HIGHLY recommend you start with the virtual console port of Red/Blue/Yellow ... I personally recommend Yellow. It's so you can get the old school feel for the game because the games they produce and come out with nowadays are literally too easy, the gameplay doesn't feel traditional anymore and the franchise is just turning into shit imo... (And this is coming from a die hard Pokemon fan since the beginning. (Incoming rant) Nintendo has tried some new things during Sun and Moon which I personally found horrendous. Also when you play X &Y you'll find out how much of a joke Pokemon has turned into lol. You can literally run through the elite four with just four Pokemon.

The last good Pokemon game imo to come out was Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. Black and White's storyline I couldn't get into. It was too slow and also really boring imo so I skipped that game and B2/W2.

....So long story short, Red or Blue if you don't mind some non-colored weird looking sprites lol. Yellow is in color and you're able to obtain all four starters which is why I personally recommend that. After that, they are porting over Gold and Silver to the original console. The only games you will not be able to play unfortunately is the original Ruby and Sapphire, which trust me.. yet again the remakes are shit compared to the original.. Emerald, Fire red and Leaf green (remakes of the original R/B/Y). Also Crystal as well since I don't believe they'll be porting over it to the virtual console.

You'll obviously come across to playing X/Y, ORAS and S/M one day, as did I, but if you've played the originals you'll understand how they've changed Pokemon up over the years and it unfortunately doesn't really feel the same.

_________

SO  other than Pokemon.. lmao. I can recommend you these games..

Persona Q, a fantastic JRPG that has a sequel in the making. You use the touch screen to personally make maps so you can navigate through dungeons.

Animal Crossing New Leaf, the only Nintendo series to this day that has yet to disappoint me. In this specific one you're the mayor of a town and cute little animal creatures move into your town so you basically kinda run it. In this one it's slightly difficult to get money at first since you just gonna scavenge, sell stuff and eventually get a fishing rod or a net to start catching insects/fish and selling them for money. There's a bunch of other stuff to the game, but it's an extremely fun and cute game to play. If you have friends who also have ACNL you can even play with them in their town or even your own.

The Professor Layton series, I'm personally playing the Miracle Mask.. there's either two or three games on the 3ds? I personally forgot, but the game is a puzzle game where you solve puzzles, riddles, solve mysteries and such.

Tomodachi life if you want something similar to the sims. It's pretty fun at first, creating characters, giving them items, eventually they ask you to play mini games to win stuff or advice when it comes to like relationship stuff.

Yo-kai Watch, if you eventually find a liking to Pokemon. The series I've found to be kinda fun since it's not that typical turn base feel.

Hatsune Miku Project Mira DX, if you like rhythm games and don't have a vita.

The Cooking Mama series, even though this series pisses me the hell off it's still pretty fun... lmao. I've played more of Cooking Mama 5 Bon Appetit more than anything considering I had to go into the city to the official Nintendo store in order to buy the game.

Super Smash Bros Brawl, I don't need to describe this game at all. It's great.

Pokemon Art Academy, only if you end up liking Pokemon, you like to draw and have a creative side and you want to learn how to draw these things as well as learn techniques.

I also recommend the Fire Emblem series as well. As what people have said Awakening is really good. And the last one I've personally played was Fire Emblem Fates(I forgot which one I chose). With Fire Emblem Fates they made three different ones. Fire Emblem Birthright, Fire Emblem Conquest and Fire Emblem Fates. Fates was in a Limited Edition form which came with Birthright, Conquest and Revelations(download only) all on one cartridge. Not to mention at the time Revelations wasn't out and everybody was trying to search for this game for whoever didn't pre order one. At the end of the day the regular Fates edition went for $200 online.. ($80 retail). If you can manage to find a copy of Fates that's reasonably price, I recommend picking it up since it'll be a rare game to have.

Thanks for all help guys!! :D

7 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

In the US they update on Thursday. I'm not sure about other regions.

How are you liking your 3DS so far?

I'm loving it!! But, i need to play other games, because until now, i only played a few demos and bought 1 game - Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D. This game is just amazing! The demos i'm trying is amazing games too. Now, i need to choose my others buys. Like i said, i'm planning to buy a Pokemon Game ( I will anyway pre order ultra sun, but want others before that ). I'm thinking too in Super Mario (the old ones, because they are really cheap), Terraria (i just want to know how the updates works on this system, and maybe wait for a sale ), Monster Hunter, MGS3 (this i have time to buy it) and then look for games in this posts :D

Edited by Natsuu24
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Natsuu24 said:

Thanks for all help guys!! :D

I'm loving it!! But, i need to play other games, because until now, i only played a few demos and bought 1 game - Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D. This game is just amazing! The demos i'm trying is amazing games too. Now, i need to choose my others buys. Like i said, i'm planning to buy a Pokemon Game ( I will anyway pre order ultra sun, but want others before that ). I'm thinking too in Super Mario (the old ones, because they are really cheap), Terraria (i just want to know how the updates works on this system, and maybe wait for a sale ), Monster Hunter, MGS3 (this i have time to buy it) and then look for games in this posts :D

Have you tried the controls of MGS3 demo on 3DS ? I can't play that well cause can't control that well without the extra analog stick. I think you'll be better off playing MGS3 on PS3 tbh .

14 hours ago, Sigma999 said:

Have you tried the controls of MGS3 demo on 3DS ? I can't play that well cause can't control that well without the extra analog stick. I think you'll be better off playing MGS3 on PS3 tbh .

If you have a Circle Pad Pro or the New 3DS / New 3DS XL, you can use the C-stick in place of the right analog stick.

I didn't play it myself but my friend did, and he said it was fine once he got that working.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

If you have a Circle Pad Pro or the New 3DS / New 3DS XL, you can use the C-stick in place of the right analog stick.

I didn't play it myself but my friend did, and he said it was fine once he got that working.

I have a New 3DS XL and the demo didn't let me use the C-stock to control the camera so i suppose that the actual game didn't support the c-stick at all .

14 minutes ago, Sigma999 said:

I have a New 3DS XL and the demo didn't let me use the C-stock to control the camera so i suppose that the actual game didn't support the c-stick at all .

My friend had the exact same problem with the full game. He said "I just got this New 3DS and it doesn't work with the C-stick"! There was a confusing setting in the game Options that enabled it; I think the game still called the option "Circle Pad Pro support" or something. I'm not sure about the demo, but I think it worked with the Circle Pad Pro so it should work with the C-stick. I remember my friend had to turn the setting on to make it work though.

I'm sure the game still has better controls in the Vita version, but if you only have a 3DS it's worth trying.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

5 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

My friend had the exact same problem with the full game. He said "I just got this New 3DS and it doesn't work with the C-stick"! There was a confusing setting in the game Options that enabled it; I think the game still called the option "Circle Pad Pro support" or something. I'm not sure about the demo, but I think it worked with the Circle Pad Pro so it should work with the C-stick. I remember my friend had to turn the setting on to make it work though.

I'm sure the game still has better controls in the Vita version, but if you only have a 3DS it's worth trying.

Sure , i was confused for the camera controls on 3DS , if you wanna play on the go the better version would be the Vita one i guess . I played on PS3 and have the MGS HD Collection and it plays great cause the controller is almkst the same from the original on PS2

I have the HD Collection for PS3 and the game for PS2. I just want to buy it, because is my favorite game of all time. But, like i said, i have time to buy it, because i have so much other games to buy first :D The only bad thing i'm finding on this system is the high price of the games :/

It's surreal that people have yet to play Ocarina of Time.  BTW, when you're done and you want more 3D Zelda, Majora's Mask is right of your alley.  There's also a Metroid remake coming up that's got people hyped.  And if you have a "new" 3DS Xl (the one with the nub), there are SNES games on the eShop and Xenoblade Chronicles.  Played the Wii version and I'm not a fan, but many claim it's a good game.

You should also look at the DS library (3DS is BC) to grow your library.  Heartgold is my favorite Pokemon game on the DS, but the original Gold IMO is my favorite game of the series so I'm biased.