Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

What makes a game bad? I guess that could be a lengthy discussion, but I want to discuss what makes some "bad" games better than other "bad" games. I've talked before about how I rate movies and why I think most rating scales tend to be too lenient. If you're giving everything a 6 or 7 out of 10, "5" isn't really your average -- 6.5 is. Why bother having a scale if you're not going to use all the numbers? Besides that, what point is there to having a 3 or 4 on that scale, when they're still considered below average? Is there really a difference between a 3 or 4? If there is, it doesn't seem as noticeable as the difference between a 9 or 10.

Great job with these! There's so much I went to comment on hah. First of all, your rating scale. I'm guilty of this. I say I use a 1-10 scale, but I don't really. I consider anything the 6's to be "that was something I played. It was fine. If it scores in the high 6's, there may have been some things I liked about it but I wouldn't prolly recommend it for most audiences." A 5 is something I didn't like. A 4 is something I actively disliked or borderline hated. A 3 is the lowest I've ever scored anything video games or movies wise and it's typically the worse of the worse. But I wouldn't feel comfortable still scoring it a 1 or a 2? There was still a product presented to me. I may have disliked the overwhelming majority of it but it's not like it was actively harmful to me. I'd almost feel cruel scoring something that low for the people who worked on it.

I agree with you that setting a good basis for ratings is important though. This has been ruined by the masses on Metacritic and the like who score everything an 8, 9, or 10/10. Sometimes I'll hear scores being thrown about and think "really? you genuinely think that's a 10/10?". Meanwhile, the game scored in the 7's for me (Marvel's Spider-Man). I think it's a good game. But that's putting it in an extra stratosphere. I don't think I will play a game that I consider a 10/10 in my entire life. It'd have to be the perfect game for me. If you're handing 10 out of 10's out like candy, it's hard for me to trust that perfect score recommendation. 

--- I think doing the reviews in January would be cool. I like to have a clean slate for entering the new year and wash away my thoughts of the previous year so I've settled on writing my reviews in mid-December and to prevent games from getting completed mid-Awards I've played mammoth JRPGs that I couldn't possibly finish in the 1-2 week gaps left.

--- Finally, super happy to see Shadow Tactics win GOTY! Your review made me buy the game on sale for $5 and it's been in my backlog. I'll get around to it some time this year and comeback to read your final entry :D 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

What makes a game bad? I guess that could be a lengthy discussion, but I want to discuss what makes some "bad" games better than other "bad" games. I've talked before about how I rate movies and why I think most rating scales tend to be too lenient. If you're giving everything a 6 or 7 out of 10, "5" isn't really your average -- 6.5 is. Why bother having a scale if you're not going to use all the numbers? Besides that, what point is there to having a 3 or 4 on that scale, when they're still considered below average? Is there really a difference between a 3 or 4? If there is, it doesn't seem as noticeable as the difference between a 9 or 10.

I think the reason so many games get scores above 5 is that most games today are decent. Even if they're not particularly memorable and even frustrating at times, it's not like we have major game companies pumping out shit like ET on a regular basis. Cyberpunk was one of the buggiest games released in years, but it still had a lot of fans because under all the brokenness there's a decent enough story and open world to explore. Certainly not the most fleshed out open world game, but it'd still make the original GTA shit itself out of every orifice.

I'd personally only put a game at 5 or below if the game was unfun to play more often than it was fun. We'd be looking at a game that is uninspired, controls terribly, and probably at least a little bit broken. Even most of the games I don't particularly like these days have a decent enough core concept, and redeeming moments to balance out the awfulness - yes, even you, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. As a medium I think gaming has just evolved to the point where the vast majority of games pass the threshold for "decent". Even when Ubisoft throws out the most buggy, uninspired garbage, there's still competent enough systems and a wealth (perhaps too much wealth) of content available, and it'd still probably blow the mind of anyone who'd only ever played or seen NES games.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Cassy out here making me rethink my entire rating system.  lol.  Looking back at the scores that I've given games, similar to what Realm said, the lowest I've given a game is a 3/10 with the honor going to Jump Force.  Which has the major problem of being boring, but is otherwise a functional video game.  It got me thinking, what what it take for me to give a game a 1/10?  I guess its similar to a 10/10 in that a game would have to be all time good, so for a 1/10 it would have to be all time bad and I feel like typically most gamers are going to avoid all time bad and then boring on top of it (because in the words of jello apocalypse "sometimes a bad movie, is better than a boring one."  same applies to games.) and those types of games are typically avoided.  I guess when you play the indie lottery like Cass though, you sometimes hit on some real stinkers. 

• Like 2

Is a numbers system really useful? I never found numbers decisive. If I read a review, tell me what's important. I can decide for myself if a battle system sounds boring or not. I put games in one of five simplified categories:   Great fun > I like it > it's okay > meh > put away.

Either it's fun to play/watch, or it isn't. I don't need more.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Is a numbers system really useful? I never found numbers decisive. If I read a review, tell me what's important. I can decide for myself if a battle system sounds boring or not. I put games in one of five simplified categories:   Great fun > I like it > it's okay > meh > put away.

Either it's fun to play/watch, or it isn't. I don't need more.

I mean... in a way, isn't that just a number system that doesn't use numbers?

5 - Great Fun

4 - I like it

3 - It's Ok

2 - Meh

1 - Put Away

? That being said, I think your metric is probably more useful than trying to figure out what someone means when they rate something a 3 or what have you.

1 minute ago, Together_Comic said:

I mean... in a way, isn't that just a number system that doesn't use numbers?

I would say mine is not a system, because enjoyment is the only criterium. I wouldn't even know what else to tie it to. Ask me why I rank a game somewhere within, and my answer would be a shrug. Some games I like, and others I have to force myself to stop playing because tomorrow is a work day. That's as "deep" as it goes. It's really not a system with certain criteria to judge it against.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I would say mine is not a system, because enjoyment is the only criterium. I wouldn't even know what else to tie it to. Ask me why I rank a game somewhere within, and my answer would be a shrug. Some games I like, and others I have to force myself to stop playing because tomorrow is a work day. That's as "deep" as it goes. It's really not a system with certain criteria to judge it against.

Fair enough,  It was just funny to me that my brain immediately assigned the a number value to each of the ways that you mentioned you could possibly feel about the game.  It probably says more about me than it does anything else.  

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I like how a small part of your Deiland write up about the numbering system has given rise to a real consideration about the value of numerical ratings on games!

For my part, I’ve never liked using numbers as qualitative metrics on games, simply because I suspect they end up overriding the actual points of interest in a review

Doc really wants to get me started on my soap box about the American Education system with this comment ?.  Maybe not super relevant to you, but I could definitely go on and on about how the grading and marking system overrides the actual point of student evaluation, but I'll get back on topic since I absolutely don't want to derail Cass's thread.  

In other news, I think Cass might just be my own personal backlog gremlin.  Gonna have to look into Shadow Tactics for sure. 

• Like 2

I personally don't like how the numbering system can be so broad and based on personal preference unless you have solid metrics behind what calculates the rating. What I prefer to see is games being stacked up to other similar games with the differences pointed out, either good or bad. If there is a chance I've played any of those games, I can get an idea right away if it would be something I'm interested in.

For instance with Deiland, I went back to look at the review again and immediately I can tell that out of all the farming sims Cassy has played, this was going to the be the worse one from the first 2 lines in the review. Could have listed some other games that this was closest to in order to give a better idea, but honestly I don't know anyone who has played more of that genre on this forum. Didn't need a number to tell me that I should skip that one already, especially since those type of games aren't my cup of tea anyways. This of course is more difficult if you are putting your toes into the type of game for a first time and would be hard pressed to find some context.

I still remember when someone told me that Danganronpa was like Phoenix Wright mashed with the darkness of the Nonary games. That was all I needed to make that purchase as I played both games and was absolutely not disappointed.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 8:24 AM, Together_Comic said:

It got me thinking, what what it take for me to give a game a 1/10?

Oh, I can think of a few factors:

1. Insane difficulty with no checkpoints
  2. Boring dialogue and almost no plot or plot that is so disgusting you run away in the first few seconds(like having a ton of NSFW sex content, but then again that wouldn't get pas the ESRB xD)
  3. Stupid mechanics that make you want to slit your wrists out of frustration
  4. Let's just make Mugen Souls(the original) have a love baby with Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus's Mein Leiben mode and call it a day. xD

That's my opinion of what would make a game be Montezuma's Revenge and get 1/10. In other words, a game that is no fun to play for anyone.

10 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #291 - Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights

I saw someone popular in Games Done Quick do a speedrun of this game, it looks interesting. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, winter_bird_22 said:

I saw someone popular in Games Done Quick do a speedrun of this game, it looks interesting. :)

I could see it being a good game to speedrun. I'd have a hard time remembering where to go and what to do because there's so much backtracking after you get each upgrade.

You guys up for a twofer this weekend?

Platinum #292 - UnderMine

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/0aab8a/trophies/1L20afa3.png

A carryover from 2021 and a surprisingly low number of game owners (<1150). Guess I gotta do my due diligence on this one.

What is UnderMine? Well, besides a pun on an already existing word that doesn't need random capitalization in the middle, UnderMine is a rogue-like (don't kill me, I don't know the difference between that and a rogue-lite and I honestly don't care) where you play as a peasant and try to delve ever deeper into a mine full of monsters in search of gold. You start every run in this hub area, which is barren in the beginning but grows over time as you free prisoners from the mine. Each "level" of the mine has four floors, followed by a boss, but you always begin the run at the very top floor. Once you beat a boss, you can skip him on subsequent runs (but you will eventually need to kill all of them on a single run for a trophy and to unlock the final boss). I think there are five levels in the mine, so you can do the math. Each level has its own gimmick and theme, but they're more or less the same. I think the biggest differences are the variety the monsters that will spawn, the kinds of traps you encounter, and the amount of gold you can potentially collect.

Gold drops from ores and chests and sometimes veins in the walls, so you have to keep your eyes peeled -- particularly because these little green goobers called Pilfers will come and steal your gold if you don't pick it up in time. This is actually a really neat mechanic because it keeps the action going even after you kill all of the monsters in the room. The Pilfers don't hurt you and you can recover your gold from them if you manage to hit them before they run away, but they're fast and you'll probably take some damage if you get greedy and accidentally run into a trap or pit while trying to grab every nugget.

There are two ways to directly attack in this game. The first is to swing your pickaxe in melee range. Don't do this. The second is to throw your pickaxe, which flies forward and back to you boomerang-style. This is much safer and can allow you to focus on dodging, which is critical because you don't have a lot of HP and the rooms are generally very tight with a lot of baddies attacking you at once.

You can also attack using bombs, but you probably won't do this often because (1) bombs are usually hard to come by, (2) bombs will hurt you if you're caught in the blast, and (3) bombs are better used for unlocking secret areas or items. These are usually visible to the player, as you can often see a doorway or chest hidden behind some blocks, but some of them are more concealed. Sometimes enemies will throw bombs or run into blocks to reveal them to you.

So, yeah. You're looking at procedurally-generated dungeons for the most part. The game auto-saves at the start of each floor, so you can technically quit out and load back in if you take too much damage, but it also auto-saves the moment you die, so don't wait until the last second. Or don't save scum at all because it's a bit finnicky in this game. I found certain secret rooms will only spawn if it's your first "attempt" on that floor, and killing the same boss multiple times to try to get different loot stops working after about three or four attempts. (Plus, most items and loot seem to be "locked," so you can't just enter a relic room and hope to get a different relic than the one that was there last time. Whatever relic is next in the relic pool will always be the next relic you encounter, although I guess you COULD enter a shop first, where that relic might appear for a price, and then enter the relic room to get the second relic in the relic pool...without having to pay for it. Good way to filter out the shitty relics.)

What are relics? These are what make your run unique. Every relic gives you a power of varying degrees of usefulness, very much like Ender Lilies. More HP? Yes, please. More ranged damage? Absolutely! A wet blanket that will prevent you from fire damage but only has three charges and must be refilled by standing in water? Um, OK... Two pickaxes at once? A chance to drop a bomb or key every time you use one? Stomp your enemies? Float on air? Jump twice? Turn food into gold? Turn rocks into gold? Reflect attacks? Chain lightning? Duplicate items/gold/food?! MAKE GOLD EXPLODE UPON LANDING!? RICOCHET YOUR PICKAXE BETWEEN ENEMIES SO THAT IT FLIES AROUND THE SCREEN IN A SPINNING BLUR AND MURDERS EVERYTHING AT ONCE!?!? GALOSHES!?!?

No to that last one.

The point is, there are some really overpowered relics and some really fun synergies you can end up with. Some relics can even be combined. For example, if you find both an Adventurer's Hat and Adventurer's Whip (both clearly paying homage to Indiana Jones), they combine to form the Golden Idol -- which gives you the same powers as both relics, plus 10k gold to boot. And as with Ender Lilies, there were many relics I never even tried because I never unlocked them. I'm looking at the full list now on the Wiki pages and there are several I never even heard of.

Generally speaking, relics (as well as potions and spirits, which we'll get to in a minute) are "unlocked" by finding schematics -- usually from killing bosses or sometimes opening cursed chests. You have to purchase them from the appropriate NPC in the hub world in order for them to appear in future runs, though, so you could technically ignore all the shitty relics if you knew what you were doing at the start of the game. I personally wish I had never encountered Bombushka. But having a good variety of relics makes the runs much more fun and interesting, so you might as well unlock them all.

Now, curses are the opposite of relics. They make the run more difficult. Some of them are what you'd expect, like less HP or damage, but others fundamentally change how you play the game. For example, one relic makes stalactites fall from the ceiling. Not for a few seconds or for that one floor -- for the rest of your run. Another makes spiders burst from the bodies of the enemies you kill. (Not in a disgusting way -- just in an annoying, "Oh shit, now I gotta deal with these jumpy bastards" way.) There are ways to cure curses, but the game randomly decides which curse will be removed...and there may be some benefits to being cursed. That's all I'll say about that.

Finally, spirits make your run unique. These are like little pets that follow you, but only one can be used per run. The default spirit is a canary, who will collect gold nuggets for you. As you advance deeper into the mine, he'll level up a couple times, allowing him to fly faster. Other spirits will attack or block damage for you. I don't know if RNG was against me, but I only unlocked about six of these throughout the entire game, but I think there's at least double that. Canary served me just fine.

When you die, you lost everything you were carrying that run, except for some of your gold. You can then use that gold back in the hub area to purchase permanent upgrades or craft recipes. Eventually, you'll have no problem reaching the bottom floor of the mine and killing all of the bosses in your way.

...That's where the Othermine comes in. This is the game's hard mode. Gold and other items are much harder to come by, there are less floors between bosses, and the bosses you face are in a random order. My first successful run came thanks to the Obsidian Knife relic, which makes you do obscene amounts of damage -- but breaks as soon as you get hit. You can bet I save-scummed my way to victory.

But the TRUE hard mode comes from transforming Siegfried's Aegis, which requires clearing the Othermine while holding an item that adds one random major curse every floor. I feel like this is very RNG-dependent. The major curse Negate, for example, disables two of the relics you're carrying. If it disables one of the relics that has been carrying you (usually Guidance or Tortoise Shell for me), you're kinda screwed. And some combinations are just deadly. Imagine getting a curse that makes gold hurt you combined with a relic that attracts gold. Again, if I were playing the game again, I'd be very selective about what relics I'd allow in the pool...

Another easy recommendation for me. A much harder game than I was expecting, but I liked it more than Rogue Legacy, which I know is a very popular rogue-li...game.

I got a good 38 hours out of this.

• Like 4

Thanks for your latest reviews @Cassylvania. I have both of these games on the short list to do this year so nice to hear they are easy recommends from you. I was also drawn to the way Ender Lilies does the combat with Spirits as its unique and the devs pulled it off beautifully. The little Ive played so far has been great.

Happy to see you are playing Little Nightmares II as well. I finally got to it this January too and loved every minute of it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gruffiiti said:

Thanks for your latest reviews @Cassylvania. I have both of these games on the short list to do this year so nice to hear they are easy recommends from you. I was also drawn to the way Ender Lilies does the combat with Spirits as its unique and the devs pulled it off beautifully. The little Ive played so far has been great.

Happy to see you are playing Little Nightmares II as well. I finally got to it this January too and loved every minute of it!

I really liked it too. Finished the main story, but I'm saving the plat juuust in case I need a milestone for the big 3-0-0. Don't have any other ideas lined up.

I'm going to try hard this year to chip away at my backlog. That means forcing myself to start new games, even when I have other things going or don't feel like it. I think that's the only way I'm ever going to get around to some of these games. So far, my theme seems to be starting a new game every Saturday...and every other Sunday. I might actually keep a calendar going for this.

I think you'll enjoy those games. UnderMine takes a little longer to get into than Ender Lilies, I think. I remember thinking, "Oh, I'm probably almost done with this game" when I was about 14 hours into UM... I wasn't even halfway there. Beating the boss at the bottom of the mine is probably 1/3 of the way to the plat. But I didn't really mind the grind. There are enough things to do in the game that I never felt like I was wasting my time. (I recommend not crafting relics unless you're absolutely sure you want that relic appearing in the pool for the rest of the game.)

And don't think I forgot about Big Game January, guys! It's still happening. It just so happens that Genshin is this year's BGJ... I really need to figure out this game or at least learn what I'm supposed to be doing daily.

2022 is all about efficiency. Let's get it done.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm going to try hard this year to chip away at my backlog. That means forcing myself to start new games, even when I have other things going or don't feel like it. I think that's the only way I'm ever going to get around to some of these games.

Why not just have fun instead of making it a chore? If you get three years of fun out of your backlog instead of two years of efficient chore, and one year of fun is worth two years of chore, you get four and a half years worth of chore for the amount of three years of chore, so you can have 1.5 times the chore, only that you have fun. Or something like that.

14 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Why not just have fun instead of making it a chore? If you get three years of fun out of your backlog instead of two years of efficient chore, and one year of fun is worth two years of chore, you get four and a half years worth of chore for the amount of three years of chore, so you can have 1.5 times the chore, only that you have fun. Or something like that.

Oh, I'm still going to have fun with it! If it starts feeling like a chore, I'll stop and come up with something else. For now, it's just a way for me to get out of the habit of not starting new games because I feel I already have too much on my plate. I spend way too much time staring at my backlog and not getting anything done. By structuring my week such that I have a designated day to start a new game...I dunno, my hope is that it'll allow me to relax and just enjoy games during the rest of the week.

It's also kinda nice because it gives me the whole week to think about what new game I want to start.

We'll see how long it lasts. I'm not expecting to follow this religiously or anything.

• Like 1

I decided to take an evening right at the end of Dec to pop 1 or 2 trophies in a dozen different games to give me a reason to actually play some of these games I have been wanting to get to.  So far I’ve completed a few of the easier ones and slowly working through the rest. Maybe I’ll have them all done in a few months.. maybe not. Either way it’s not too big a deal. Plan all along was to just make sure they get completed this year sometime.

1 hour ago, gruffiiti said:

I decided to take an evening right at the end of Dec to pop 1 or 2 trophies in a dozen different games to give me a reason to actually play some of these games I have been wanting to get to.  So far I’ve completed a few of the easier ones and slowly working through the rest. Maybe I’ll have them all done in a few months.. maybe not. Either way it’s not too big a deal. Plan all along was to just make sure they get completed this year sometime.

I actually like that idea. My plan last year was to download any new game I bought, with the intention of playing it soon because it's already loaded on my PS5. I just ended up with a bunch of unplayed games in a separate folder by the end of the year. It probably would've worked better if the PS5 didn't have a limit to how many "recent" applications are shown on the home screen...

Other than Tomb Raider (which you know my opinion of -- although I didn't mind Rise), you picked a lot of solid titles. I think I've finished them all except L.A. Noire, which is right up there with The Witcher 3 as a game I really want to play but never seem to have time for. I'll be interested in your thoughts.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2022 at 4:08 AM, Cassylvania said:

I actually like that idea. My plan last year was to download any new game I bought, with the intention of playing it soon because it's already loaded on my PS5. I just ended up with a bunch of unplayed games in a separate folder by the end of the year. It probably would've worked better if the PS5 didn't have a limit to how many "recent" applications are shown on the home screen...

Other than Tomb Raider (which you know my opinion of -- although I didn't mind Rise), you picked a lot of solid titles. I think I've finished them all except L.A. Noire, which is right up there with The Witcher 3 as a game I really want to play but never seem to have time for. I'll be interested in your thoughts.

I'm the same with the Witcher 3. I own it, I own the complete version to be specific. But I never got around to it. You should give the latest L.A Noire version a whirl, it seems to be the most complete version of the game with some content not features on the original PS3 release. I've beaten that version and that was a pretty good time, from what I recall.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, James_Tonto said:

I'm the same with the Witcher 3. I own it, I own the complete version to be specific. But I never got around to it. You should give the latest L.A Noire version a whirl, it seems to be the most complete version of the game with some content not features on the original PS3 release. I've beaten that version and that was a pretty good time, from what I recall.

It's definitely on my list. I love that time period. I wish noir was as popular as medieval fantasy and futuristic sci-fi. Been actually watching old episodes of Starsky & Hutch just to get those vibes. (Yes, I know that was the 1970's.)

I think the bigger challenge this year than starting games will be finishing games. This is a single game weekend, so I can aggressively attack my backlog. I started Ryza 2 (if you haven't noticed already -- going for the full series completion before Sophie 2 drops next month) and some little indie game called Carto last weekend. I've also been playing Genshin a little more seriously. I wish there was a way to reroll my account on PS5. I feel like I don't really love the characters I've gotten and I'm worried that, as a F2P player, most of my best wishes are behind me. I lost the 50/50 on the Xiao banner (may be a blessing in disguise, as I've heard complaints that he gives people motion sickness and you know what Deiland did to me last year) and got Diluc instead (also may be a blessing, as I guess he's supposed to be pretty good), but now I'm wishing I had rolled anybody else.

I've also pulled Rosaria three times, so she's at C2 and I guess that's one of her best constellations. Kinda makes me feel like I have to use her. (And if all of this sounds like gibberish to you, I barely know what I'm talking about either.)

This year, I'm going to try to focus on getting to all the farming, survival, and TBS games I haven't played yet. It should be a fun one.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, James_Tonto said:

I'm the same with the Witcher 3. I own it, I own the complete version to be specific. But I never got around to it.

I'm in the same boat as you. In fact I think I own the regular version and the complete version of The Witcher 3 for PS4 but at this point I think I'll wait till the PS5 version that's apparently coming this year to drop and play it then. No shortage of games to play in the meantime so waiting is easy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...