Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

5 hours ago, Taruta13 said:

Strudel. xD

Sorry, I can't stop thinking about how funny your texts are becoming.

That's just me slipping further and further into madness.

Anyway, I realized I should probably describe a few of the game's mechanics if I'm going to narrate my entire adventure. I will say that I think the developers wanted the player to figure out things for themselves, so even talking about basic gameplay could be considered a spoiler. I'll try to keep this concise because we all know how good I am at not blowing things out of proportion. (I'm playing as the Survivor creature because you need to for a single playthrough platinum. I imagine the gameplay is slightly different with the other characters.)

Rain World is broken down into days (or "cycles"). Each cycle, your only objective is to explore and find enough food that you can successfully hibernate. You have seven hunger "slots" and you must fill at least four of them to hibernate. If you only fill up four hunger slots, that means you'll start the next cycle at zero. If you have fill up your hunger meter all the way, you'll start the next cycle at three and only need to fill a single slot to hibernate again. This is good because food is scarce and randomly generated throughout the world per cycle. To my knowledge so far, I'm really only able to eat batflies (most common source of food, but you have to catch them first), blueberries, and cockroaches. Each one fills up a single slot. There's always a rare popcorn plant that maxes out your hunger meter, but seems extremely rare. You also need a spear to open it.

But you aren't the only creature in this world looking for food. The world is full of horrible monsters that are much higher than you on the food chain. So, while you're trying to catch a batfly, some nasty lizard is looking to catch you. Your options of fighting back are quite limited, so most of the game involves you taking things slowly and trying to sneak past your enemies. Think "There's Always a Bigger Fish: The Game". If you see a horrible monster, realize it probably has predators too and sometimes it's better to wait for one of those to come along and either kill it or distract it. If you die, you simply restart back at the last bunker you saved at. This wouldn't be a big deal, except there's always a karma level. This makes this totally different than a Souls game.

Karma is a separate meter that goes from zero to five (and eventually higher, but you have to unlock some stuff first). If you die in any way (or quit out of the game mid-run), your karma drops by one. The only way to increase it is to have a successful run, which means finding enough food that you can hibernate and then reaching a bunker. This brings your karma up by a level. So, if you start at zero karma, have two successful runs, and then die, your karma will go from zero to two and then back to one because you died. The PROBLEM is that you sometimes need your karma meter to be maxed out in order to do...stuff (trying to be vague here, guys), so you're sometimes forced to stay near one bunker and keep scouring the area for food, which I guess is similar to farming for souls or blood vials in other games. I don't know how much I like this mechanic, though, because once your karma meter is maxed out, dying even once means you're back to foraging for another attempt at whatever it is you're trying to do. And if you die again...well, now you gotta do it twice. I'm typically not a fan of mechanics that require you to jump through hoops in order to get another attempt at something. The hoop-jumping should be the attempt.

Finally, I mentioned spears. That's one weapon you can find in the game. There's also rubbish. This can be stuff like rocks and bricks. You can use rubbish to stun enemies briefly. You can use spears to hurt them. You can also catch batflies with either. But a lot of items you can pick up have several uses. For example, you can also hurl a spear into a wall to create a climbable platform. You can't pick up the spear again once you do that, but it does allow you to reach areas that you otherwise couldn't. I think this saves between cycles. I'm not sure how long a cycle lasts, but it's usually only a few minutes. At the end of the cycle, it starts raining HEAVILY and you're basically screwed if you don't reach a bunker quickly. Actually, it's fuckiin' terrifying. This whole game makes you want to cry. I'm going to have nightmares of it raining so hard that you're crushed under its weight.

Thanks for the happy game.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

You know, I had this whole thing planned out. I was going to spend the entire month narrating my adventure in musical format, highlighting all the ups and downs as I struggled through what is designed to be a very challenging game. There's just one teensy problem.

Platinum #390 - Rain World

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/8e3969/trophies/1Lca7962.png

They whispered to me, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am the storm."

Wait, we almost got an entire month of musical "episodes"?! Awww... Though congrats on getting the platinum so quickly!

Why does this matter? Well, because you're now in the awkward position of trying to find food in a world where so is everybody else. This may be the first time I've ever seen a proper ecosystem built into a game. If the string of genres wasn't already long enough, I would say this could almost be called a simulator because of it. Every creature in this world reacts to the presence of other creatures and the environment.

Goddammit, you make me want to play this game now. Except I'm terrible at games that require good reflexes with a steep learning curve and punishing difficulty. ? 

But when I haven't even gotten to the graphics and the music and the atmosphere, which are all top notch, you know I've stumbled into something special. This game is absolutely terrifying at times and I love it. I would have really liked to capture the EMOTIONS I was going through with my narration. The problem was, I burned through it so quickly that I was writing sections that I had finished hours and days ago. Believe me, though, when I say it does start out with panic as every new creature and area you come across will fill you with dread. I did run from one screen to the other, watching bigger and bigger monsters appear and tear each other apart. But...eventually, you adapt. You grow and you learn. You accept your role in this world and you find a way to survive. I know now that I am a lover, not a fighter, and that's OK.

Asdfkldsjlfada. Maybe I will give this game a try once I've gotten my backlog down to just double digits, and play it knowing there's a chance I won't get the platinum. You've just made the game sound too interesting while simultaneously admitting there are other fantastic aspects you haven't even touched on!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

It's July 6th. The year is just over halfway. I know it's a little too early to be talking about GOTY candidates, but I think we have a solid contender here. I have beefs with this game, guys. The wall jump is clunky. The karma system is not my cup of tea. But when I haven't even gotten to the graphics and the music and the atmosphere, which are all top notch, you know I've stumbled into something special. This game is absolutely terrifying at times and I love it. I would have really liked to capture the EMOTIONS I was going through with my narration. The problem was, I burned through it so quickly that I was writing sections that I had finished hours and days ago. Believe me, though, when I say it does start out with panic as every new creature and area you come across will fill you with dread. I did run from one screen to the other, watching bigger and bigger monsters appear and tear each other apart. But...eventually, you adapt. You grow and you learn. You accept your role in this world and you find a way to survive. I know now that I am a lover, not a fighter, and that's OK.

My goodness... I really did not expect you to rate it so highly! This is probably one of the most impressive platinums in your entire repertoire. I mean bloody hell, you finished in the Top 20 fastest achievers! Huge respect. I'm almost tempted to give it some run as the way you described the "ecosystem" and how each new creature had you in a frenzy sounds like an experience few other games can offer. I think this is a BIG win for the wheel and that subscription Cass!

25 minutes ago, grayhammmer said:

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1674149974

There's DLC that was released on Steam a while ago... and it's coming to Playstation in 5 days.

This is one of the biggest jumpscares I've experienced after reading that lengthy victorious string of text. Cassy just fell to their knees outside of an aquarium. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, grayhammmer said:

Cassy, I know you just platinumed this, but I need to tell you something important:

There's DLC that was released on Steam a while ago... and it's coming to Playstation in 5 days.

Just had one of the old 'spit out my drink and I wasn't even drinking anything' moment. Cass's worst nightmare come to life lol I wonder how Anja feels about all this...

• Like 2

... (Dammit, why did I make myself the cheery one in this story?)

9 hours ago, Briste said:

Just had one of the old 'spit out my drink and I wasn't even drinking anything' moment. Cass's worst nightmare come to life lol I wonder how Anja feels about all this...

Let's find out!

The white sands of Kame Island looked warm and inviting. There was a single crab that dotted the beach. Ajna smiled at the ocean that didn't threaten to murder anyone. This is where she would at last have her peace. She could almost feel the cool breeze whipping through her hair, and then... the whole scene was covered up by a slimy paw! I swiped the "Wish you were here, suckers" postcard that RNGeta had sent us and ripped it to shreds right in front of Ajna.

"We get to stay in Rain World!" I said gleefully, throwing the torn fragments of her shattered dreams back in her face like confetti. "Isn't that great!?"

She was practically crying tears of joy. I could tell this was really an emotional moment for her. That's why I put an arm around her and started singing again.

"Let's go back, back to the beginning. Back to where the earth, the sun, the stars all aligned." I lifted up her chin, which had become as drooped as her soul. "'Cause perfect didn't feel so perfect. Trying to fit a square into a circle was no life. I DEFYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!"

"Why do you ruin everything?"

"LET THE RAIN FALL DOWN AND WAKE MY DREAMS! LET IT WASH AWAY MY SANITY! 'CAUSE I WANT TO FEEL THE THUNDER, I WANNA SCREAM! LET THE RAIN FALL DOWN! I'M COMING CLEAN, I'M COMING CLEAN, OHHH!"

Ajna slumped down on the ground and tucked her knees into her chest while I swung around and around on a skinny tree like a cheap stripper.

"I'm shedding, shedding every color!" I wasn't, but I threw clumps of my fur into the air anyway. "Trying to find a pigment of truth beneath my skin, ohhh!" The clumps landed unceremoniously on Ajna's head. "'Cause different doesn't feel so different. And going out is better than always staying in! Feel the wind!"

"I hope they're glitched and you can never get 100%."

But I couldn't hear Ajna over the sound of the rain, which hadn't stopped since we arrived.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, grayhammmer said:

Cassy, I know you just platinumed this, but I need to tell you something important:

10 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

The white sands of Kame Island looked warm and inviting. There was a single crab that dotted the beach. Ajna smiled at the ocean that didn't threaten to murder anyone. This is where she would at last have her peace. She could almost feel the cool breeze whipping through her hair, and then... the whole scene was covered up by a slimy paw! I swiped the "Wish you were here, suckers" postcard that RNGeta had sent us and ripped it to shreds right in front of Ajna.

"We get to stay in Rain World!" I said gleefully, throwing the torn fragments of her shattered dreams back in her face like confetti. "Isn't that great!?"

Wow, that's... hilarious. Just when I thought I was going to have to roll on my Wheel of Names again... xD

Speaking of DLC, did anyone see the last Nintendo Direct and the Pokemon Scarlet/Violet DLC trailers? MY MAIN GROUND-TYPES ARE BACK, LONG LIVE GLISCOR AND FLYGON! :D

Yeah... I... just started replaying Dragon Quest XI S and got wrapped up in Unova. <_<

Really enjoyed the little side story you made. It's hilarious. Also, I am going to pray that you get through the DLC.

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 2

Congratz on that very quick plat! I guess you won't need any tips from me anymore. :P

I am glad you were able to enjoy my recommendation as much as you did and I guess your mental health is in pristine condition? :') I still plan to do Rain World this month as well, your posts got me even more excited and also gave a look into what Rain World is actually about.

I knew about 'Downpour' but expected it to be a standalone title, sorry if that causes you some inconvenience.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 5:54 AM, Mori said:

I knew about 'Downpour' but expected it to be a standalone title, sorry if that causes you some inconvenience.

Don't worry about it. Cass's sort of a completionist. Me, on the other hand....

Tataru: "You're not going to fight Yozora?"

Absolutely not. Have you seen how he steals your Kupo Coin and uses it when you kill him to get back ten life bars and then goes super-aggro?!? You can't cheese him like you can Lingering Will.

Tataru: "So you're going to start on Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix?"

ABSOLUTELY NOT. xD

Tataru: *sigh* "Thal's beard, why did I join up with this coward? At least the Warrior of Light was willing to fight Endsinger..."  ?

Sorry, I got a horse race to attend in Gallopolis. Let me just farm enemies some more to get that trophy for 1000 monsters killed. :P

Edited by Taruta13

15 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

As someone who is an animal lover and a tree hugger, I'm obviously going to recommend this game. Even if you don't have a PS+ subscription, it's worth a few dollars and an evening of your time. But I think it's important to realize this is not a happy game. It's not even a hopeful game. There is no "Unless," like in The Lorax.

I've been thinking of playing this game (especially since it's almost as if Sony knew that here at PSNP we currently have Gaming for the Animals 2: The Squeakquel). My main hesitation has been that, based on the game's title and art style, it seems like the story is "Haha look at this adorable fox family, aren't you in love with them? Except humans are terrible in the game, and you are a human, so we are going to emotionally devastate you with a super-depressing ending because extinction is forever". 

I really appreciate knowing that this is going to be an animal game that does not have a happy or hopeful ending. I'll play it on a day when I know that won't completely crush me, haha.

These writers want you to be disgusted with humanity, which is honestly not something I need help with most days, and I'm not convinced that's the best way to get the message across.

Yo saaaaaaaame. And without having even played the game, it seems like the goal is to make people feel bad about extinction. Except, most of the people who will play the game probably already feel that extinction is a terrible thing they can't do much about, so the game might enlighten a few new minds but will just leave most players feeling awful. Which a lot of us already feel in regard to conservation efforts.

In my opinion, a more useful message would be to show at the end how a small act by one human can make a positive difference (big or small) for the fox family. This would serve as a microcosmic example of what animal conservation works towards, and a more uplifting ending would help inspire/motivate people to do something to further animal conservation after playing the game.

Now I'm going to go play a happier game. Like Heavy Rain.

Ooof. Then again, a good "JASON!!!" clip or meme or a "Fail Every QTE in the Chase Scene" video will always make me laugh. 

• Like 2

Tataru just got ambushed by another Golden Globe while I was farming Liquid Metal Slimes. My sidekick is just as hangry as yours whenever I decide to focus on something, Cass. xD

For the record, Golden Globes are rare gold cactiballs in the Gallopolis desert that LOVE to spam Death Dance. Thanks to them, Serena is behind everyone else in levels.

(And if you want to know how to farm Liquid Metal Slimes, it's just using two pep powers - one to get a big bonus on your EXP rewards and one to turn enemies into metal monsters. They might be hunter mechs but so far I have not failed a single Electro Light.)

Sorry, I just got inspired to write up skits like yours since you started narrating this journey. It reminds me of the time I enjoyed reading your conspiracy theories about Phil when we were both trying to platinum Fill-A-Pix. (I had a different account then.) xD

• Like 1

They just dropped the trophy list for Rain World on the site. I don't understand what you have to do because it's one of THOSE games, the ones who just give vague wording for the trophies. :(

Anyways, I just watched the World Tree get destroyed and Erdrea get the same treatement as FFVI's Kefkacition. Oh, and I was a fish briefly. :P

I know you've platted DQXI, Cass, but DQXIS has you visiting old Dragon Quest games in Tockington. I just got 10 pastwords and had a grand time.

Spoiler

Fuck Square-Enix for not releasing DQX Offline to the West. I understand they don't want DQX to be like FFXIV but at least let us experience the story of DQX offline in the West. That might explain why the Altar of the Undeciphered(DQX world) has only two pastwords while everyone else has three. ?

Good luck on Downpour, Cass, and I can't wait to see what you roll up next. I'm halfway through DQXIS so I might be rolling up my third soon.

• Like 1

Is progress in the main game required to play Downpour? And do you still have the saves in cloud or did it wipe them as well? :o

I just read the thread in the game's subforum.. guess its good you were already done and I haven't started it before the DLC dropped.

And.. I know it comes off as ridiculous because I said it last month as well, but now there is a PS5 stack.. and I'm a cheapskate, paying for DLC on top of it pains me.

I swear, next month I shut my mouth, regardless of which game comes up next.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Mori said:

Is progress in the main game required to play Downpour? And do you still have the saves in cloud or did it wipe them as well? :o

I just read the thread in the game's subforum.. guess its good you were already done and I haven't started it before the DLC dropped.

And.. I know it comes off as ridiculous because I said it last month as well, but now there is a PS5 stack.. and I'm a cheapskate, paying for DLC on top of it pains me.

I swear, next month I shut my mouth, regardless of which game comes up next.

Think I got lucky.  I didn't lose my save when it updated. (Which, by the way, it did automatically.) But, of course, I had to pay ACTUAL MONEY for it, so now I add that amount to the total price of the annual PS+ subscription... Better be worth it.

Man, there's some weird stuff going on with that purple text. Not sure what that's all about.

DATE: July 12, 2023

TIME: 09:36 PM

PLACE: A big house in southern Philadelphia (the good part of town)

"And then all the foxes DIED. The end." Ethan Mars leaned over and kissed a crying Jason and a bawling Shaun on the forehead. "Good night. I love you both very much."

Ethan's wife was standing in the doorway, arms folded.

"I wish you wouldn't read them that bedtime story," she said. "It's depressing."

"It's my favorite book!" Ethan pushed past her, clutching the book tight to his chest so that she couldn't take it away. "Maybe if you were a cool parent like me, the kids would ask you to tuck them in."

"Ethan, we need to talk." She followed him down the stairs. "Ethan. Are you listening to me?"

"I'm not giving you the book!"

"It's not about the book, Ethan. It's about our marriage."

Ethan quickly maneuvered into the kitchen and began banging pots and pans around. Didn't seem to matter to him that he had nothing to cook and his wife had just spent the past thirty minutes cleaning them.

"Ethan!"

"Can't hear you!"

Ethan's wife sighed and flopped down on the couch. It had been like this for over a decade now. Ethan was a normal person once. An architect with a big pen and an even bigger dream. He even managed to marry a girl out of his league, as his mother-in-law would regularly tell him. What happened? Did the years of constant bullying get to him? Did he see himself in his children -- in Jason, in Shaun? Was this a middle-age crisis that had been going on since his early 20's or just a cry for help? Ethan's wife had struggled for years in therapy to find an answer for his childlike behavior. Unfortunately, the diagnosis was always the same: Ethan was a guy. There was no cure for that.

"I could've married our high school quarterback," Ethan's wife said out loud. It wasn't the first time she had said this, but she doubted Ethan could hear him over the stainless steel colander he had on his head.

Ethan's wife combed back a strand of hair that had fallen over her eye. She crossed her legs and waited -- waited until Ethan got tired of acting ridiculous and took a seat next to her. When he did, she pulled the colander from his head and placed it on the end table.

"I love you," was the first thing he said.

"We really do need to talk."

He tried grabbing the colander, but she seized his hand first.

"I'm not mad at you. I just want to know what's going on."

"What do you mean?"

"You're not...normal, Ethan. Normal adults don't wear kitchen utensils on their head when their spouse is trying to talk to them."

"It was a spaceship helmet."

"It's what I cooked dinner in, Ethan. It's weird. And the neighbors are starting to talk." She moved closer to him. "Ethan, I love you. I want us to be together. I just don't know how we can do that when I feel like I'm sharing a household with three little boys."

"You make it sound like I don't take our marriage seriously..."

"No, Ethan. I think you take it TOO seriously. You take everything too seriously. Like yesterday, you and Jason were playing Cops & Robbers in the backyard. You were a cop and you put Jason in handcuffs and threw him in the dog cage and then made him call a lawyer to get out."

"He was a ROBBER! I was just protecting our house. I'd do anything for my family."

"He's your SON, Ethan. You can't lock your son in a dog cage. I feel I shouldn't have to tell you that."

Ethan sighed and put a hand across his wife's cheek. She moved his hand further up her back.

"You're right," he said. "Now, what do you say we play our own version of Cops & Robbers? I still got the handcuffs..."

"The handcuffs you put on our son?"

"I've been a naughty boy."

Ethan's wife turned up her nose in disgust. "I'm going to bed, Ethan. You can sleep on the couch tonight."

Ethan hated to see her go, but he sure loved to watch her leave. Her butt jiggled all the way up the stairs. Ethan sighed again, slipped out of his shoes, and put his feet up on the couch. He had gotten rather accustomed to sleeping in this part of the house. He put the TV on -- any channel would do -- and closed his eyes so he could listen to the sweet, sweet sound of static.

• Like 4