Kill Your Completion V

12 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Canadian drinking age and real beer, best of both worlds for you (though I prefer Molson to Labatts).

For me growing up in that neck of the woods, vacation was heading down to Duluth/Superior with the odd run down to the Twin a Cities for North Stars games. That and an eternal appreciation of classic movies from watching the Matinee Money Movie on Duluth TV (all the Abbott & Costello, Japanese monster movies plus endless just awesome old black and whites).  Between that and UMD hockey games, I miss those channels.

Don't get me started on the North Stars. One of my cherished possessions is a game puck my Dad caught at a game when I was 5 or 6.  My favorite player was Willie Plett bc he was easy to identify on ice with his blonde hair (helmets were optional back then). And Norm Green STILL sucks! 

And a fellow Dogs' fan! I spent many a college night in the dump they called the DECC. I had a job working at the games and when the crowd got loud, (which didnt happen too often bc they weren't that great), the press box floor would rattle and I was sure the floor would give way. 

Duluth was different when I lived there. Much more blue collar than the outdoorsy vibe it has today. But it was (and is) a great town. For everyone else on this thread who could care less, here's why you should remember Duluth. It's the birthplace of Bob Dylan. And the history of music changed forever bc of that city too. As a teen, Dylan went to a rock and roll show in the Duluth Armory that he attributes as his spark to become a musician. The show featured Buddy Holly, Richie Valens (only 17 years old!) and the Big Bopper, who all perished in a plane crash just days later.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ditto said:

Yeah, I really liked the game, but most of the endings didn't do it for me. The ending you're talking about was great, though. 

Glad I'm not alone on this =), and yeah I had a good night rest after the ending lol .. =) 

11 hours ago, Myu said:

@vin_rob If you're not afraid to die repeatedly against a stupid boss, be my guest. :P 

hmm, grind till you drop? xD But yeah I'll just see what I can do =) 

8 hours ago, Cubone said:

Lumo_WebBanner.png

Game #6: Lumo

Hide contents

Also,if @Hemiak doesn't mind, I would like to switch out Darksiders 2 for something else. I really want to finish D1 before starting the sequel and I don't see a way to do that during this event.

That's fine man. I wouldn't have recommended putting two games from the same series on your list anyway. 

Shame you didn't like Lumo. I thought it was a fun little game. Yeah the tapes are a pointless addition, but I felt like it had a lot of cool parts. I think they were just trying to throw as many Retro video game and pop culture references in as possible, and they succeeded on that.

I do agree that the difficulty spiked a lot towards the end. It was a bit annoying on my Old School runs to fly through the first half hour of the game (there are two major skips added to old school to speed this up), then things get a little trickier during the ice section, and then really ramp up in the cauldron area. 

1 hour ago, Hemiak said:

That's fine man. I wouldn't have recommended putting two games from the same series on your list anyway. 

I mostly did this because I heard the two are pretty different in terms of gameplay and because I thought I could get enough gaming time in the first weekend to finish the first installment. Shame. Anyway, thanks.

Shame you didn't like Lumo. I thought it was a fun little game. Yeah the tapes are a pointless addition, but I felt like it had a lot of cool parts. I think they were just trying to throw as many Retro video game and pop culture references in as possible, and they succeeded on that.

I like references as much as the next man taking an arrow to the knee, as long as the reference is justified. Octodad having "Mintcraft" on display in the supermarket? Funny. Lumo having an SD card as a random story item that's never used? Uhm, okay I guess.

I do agree that the difficulty spiked a lot towards the end. It was a bit annoying on my Old School runs to fly through the first half hour of the game (there are two major skips added to old school to speed this up), then things get a little trickier during the ice section, and then really ramp up in the cauldron area. 

Don't think I'm even close to the actual difficult stuff yet. I'm past the mine cart and I got my glowing staff to repel spiders with. I know there's probably a ramp coming but it could have had a much smoother (and quicker) build-up, in my opinion.

I think I didn't mention this in the review but I'm going to try to go back and finish Lumo, so it wasn't all bad. Just bland, I guess.

Edited by Cubone

13 hours ago, Jaguargenie said:

Game 4 Initial Impressions

L5f264e.png

What Remains of Edith Finch is a walking simulator. I've played good and bad ones, and it's really the story that makes or breaks this genre. Thus far, this one had been a mindf#&k. Let me explain. 

The only thing I knew about this going in was it was about a woman going back to the house that she grew up in. Everyone in her family died in that house. Period, stop. The previews I have read all talk about a scene involving a swing set. That's all I knew going in. 

This game is gorgeous. The environments are so well crafted and the detail is amazing. Each room that was occupied by a different family member has it's own flair and personality. There are bulletin boards with drawings and notes, newspaper clippings, etc. It's stunning. So you walk around this house, slowly gaining access to bedrooms. Each bedroom is locked and preserved just as the inhabitants had left it when they died. A little creepy yes.

The first one you enter has a calendar on the walk turned to 1947! So this story spans years and generations. I had to put the game down after the 3rd family member story (of which there are 11) because it was the swing set scene. I actually got motion sick. I don't get car sick or anything, but I was super nauseous, that is how convincing and well done this scene was. 

I'm really enjoying it thus far. It's going to be a short one, but I'm excited to learn about the rest of the family. 

Seems like I'm going to have to buy this at some point.

1 hour ago, dizzyshadow said:

Game 2 : Aegis of Earth : Protonovus Assault

L612f65.png

Initially the game mechanic felt really interesting it, its clearly a tower defence type but seemed quite new and fresh, and with the additional element of city management thrown in it felt quite interesting, however as you play for a while you realise the this is pretty much all the game offers, and what did feel fresh soon becomes tired and boring. I’m currently on chapter 7 and I must have done approx. 30 battles, and to be honest not much has changed from the first couple, yes I’ve got a few new weapons and occasionally a boss comes along but it doesn’t really change up the game play, I’m not sure how many chapters there are in the game 20 something I believe but it feels like it would be an awful long slog to finish the game.

Those are pretty much my thoughts on that game. I got about to chapter 14 or so until I couldn't stand it anymore. It had an interesting concept that just gets dull after a while, because it just feels samey.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

Just a heads up to @Jaguargenie who was going to start that Marvel Omega online game, an article about server closure just popped up in the server closure thread. There is no specific date given in the article so I don't know if there's enough time to complete it but you might be killing your completion rate more thoroughly than you anticipated.

Edit: Weird, that link is dead now. I'll try to find more information, I was interested in starting that game at some point too.

Edit: That link is back and here's another.

Edited by mking_63
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, mking_63 said:

Just a heads up to @Jaguargenie who was going to start that Marvel Omega online game, an article about server closure just popped up in the server closure thread. There is no specific date given in the article so I don't know if there's enough time to complete it but you might be killing your completion rate more thoroughly than you anticipated.

Edit: Weird, that link is dead now. I'll try to find more information, I was interested in starting that game at some point too.

Wow, that actually sucks. Shame really, as it was a pretty good game.

2 hours ago, mking_63 said:

I just saw that as a top thread in the forums. Thanks for the heads up, but unfortunately, I already started it. The worst part? I'm totally addicted! I loved it. 

I'm really hoping I can at least grind out a bit more. I've got 2 characters to 60 already. Just hoping they give us a bit more time to trophy hunt before taking this away.