Kill Your Completion V

Good news - I've edited my previous post - it's now a proper review of my time with Call of Duty: Ghosts.

Bad news - I settled down Monday night to get some playing time in for my 7th game (Knack), only to realise that I must have deleted from my PS4 at some point! And it's a 35GB download. And I have a sluggish internet speed to boot (my downloads sometimes go at less than 1GB per hour), which meant it wouldn't have even been possible to get the download finished before it was time to move on to game #8. So, nothing played in slot #7 this time, but I do still want to play it as part of this event, though, so here's what I'm thinking:

Play Driver: San Francisco between November 22 and November 24, as originally scheduled.

Play Deus Ex: Human Revolution between November 25 and November 27, as originally scheduled.

Play Dying Light between November 28 and November 30, as originally scheduled.

Play Knack between December 1 and December 3.

That's how I would prefer to schedule the remaining 4 games (sticking to 3 days each), but it's Hemiak's event, so if he wants everybody done by the end of November, then maybe I could do this instead:

Nov. 22 - Nov. 24 - Driver: San Francisco

Nov. 25 - Nov. 26 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Nov. 27 - Nov. 28 - Dying Light

Nov. 29 - Nov. 30 - Knack

Please let me know which of these 2 proposed remaining schedules you would prefer me to use, @Hemiak.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Melanogaster1987 said:

Good news - I've edited my previous post - it's now a proper review of my time with Call of Duty: Ghosts.

Bad news - I settled down Monday night to get some playing time in for my 7th game (Knack), only to realise that I must have deleted from my PS4 at some point! And it's a 35GB download. And I have a sluggish internet speed to boot (my downloads sometimes go at less than 1GB per hour), which meant it wouldn't have even been possible to get the download finished before it was time to move on to game #8. So, nothing played in slot #7 this time, but I do still want to play it as part of this event, though, so here's what I'm thinking:

Play Driver: San Francisco between November 22 and November 24, as originally scheduled.

Play Deus Ex: Human Revolution between November 25 and November 27, as originally scheduled.

Play Dying Light between November 28 and November 30, as originally scheduled.

Play Knack between December 1 and December 3.

That's how I would prefer to schedule the remaining 4 games (sticking to 3 days each), but it's Hemiak's event, so if he wants everybody done by the end of November, then maybe I could do this instead:

Nov. 22 - Nov. 24 - Driver: San Francisco

Nov. 25 - Nov. 26 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Nov. 27 - Nov. 28 - Dying Light

Nov. 29 - Nov. 30 - Knack

Please let me know which of these 2 proposed remaining schedules you would prefer me to use, @Hemiak.

It doesn't really matter that much. If you think you can get the minimum time per game with the 2nd schedule, that would put you ending with everyone else. People stick around after the events end though, so no real harm if you need to string it out an extra few days. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Scyther said:

I feel like I have only scratched the surface with this lengthy game. But I'm loving the story so much, that I haven't really wanted to deviate from it too much. Quite possibly another :platinum: game here. Not sure why @Cubone didn't care for it. 

Because I expected a game about the Yakuza, yet what I got in the first few hours that I played was a game that made me pimp out women... xD

On 08/07/2016 at 6:50 PM, Cubone said:

Game #3: Yakuza 4
Second day
Total playtime: about two and a half hours

Lb1539e.png

Here's what happened today with my player character in Yakuza 4:

• He goes to his office, finds police outside and the chief of police inside. The chief tells him that one family of the yakuza is out for blood, the police is looking for the yakuza member with the current largest bullseye on his face and since the PC nows that guy, he's being protected by a police watch.
  • Instead of doing anything about or with the information mentioned above, the PC goes on to buy a woman who wants a loan a dress, some jewelry, then shows a teen how to talk women into being a "hostess", then goes on a date with the woman he bought the dress and jewelry for. But only after he makes her change her clothes, playing dress up in front of him complete with "before/after" shot. And then he pushes her into being a hostess as well. And then he forces her to treat him as her first customer. And then he wants to see her "after hours".

Sigh. I thought this was a game about Yakuza, not Adult Entertainment Industry Manager. I'm getting very annoyed by the lack of speech as well, especially when the whole conversation with the chief is in text and he randomly does one word spoken before switching back to text. The "date" was not much better with that.

I'm calling it quits today, I've got no energy for this kind of stupid fluff.

On 09/07/2016 at 11:36 AM, Cubone said:

Game #3: Yakuza 4
Final Review
Total playtime: about three and a half hours
Trophies: 1/49 (the only trophy I got was for watching the recaps, got nothing in-game)

Lb1539e.png

There once was a Japanese loan shark
Whose yakuza plot quickly got real dark
But he's distracted by hoes
And buying them clothes
I'd rather be playing an aardvark

Hide contents

I experimented with ending in "not even the same ballpark", but then I thought aardvarks were funnier. And cooler than this game.

So today our story continues with the "date"... What place does the girl pick for their date? Why, the roof of the slum appartment building she grew up in of course! And then she asks why men are so focused on working themselves to death while they forget the woman by their side. Yeah, nice mood there. Luckily our PC shuts her up by telling her that men understand that keeping someone you love happy tends to work better if you have a steady income. Isn't this the woman who wants to load a hundred million yen? Yeah, no hipocrisy there... She tries to talk her way out of it by saying "Strange, how I never cared for money and ended up needing so much". Riiiiight... I'm not buying it. And then it's time for one actual spoken line, followed by a romantic kiss, because the mood is oh so good... And then they go talk about why they kissed and blah blah blah. I'm actually glad some thugs interrupt them. And then in the middle of the fist fight, some douchebag decided to start shooting at me. What kind of game were we playing again? I decided to pick up a bench and smash all their faces in.

Random thought:
Why does this city even have streets if there's no cars at all (just a few parked taxis) and half the people here are just walking on the street instead of on the pavement?

Then we finally get to further the plot a bit. Our main guy decided that the best way to find his friend who is in trouble... is giving a lackey some money to go find said friend, whom he also admits saved the PC's life at one point. Yeah, nice one. I guess our resident dipshit has too much on his hands what with his hostesses and all, much too important to help a friend out in any real way. And then he goes into a long backstory bit, during which we can look long at a couple of boring pictures of him. And then he goes into a "deep" monologue about how this concrete jungle needs a lion. And just so we're abslutely clear that this is meant to be deep, we have another character being amazed by how deep it is.

And then he finally goes to check on someone who has to pay a loan back. But before he's even walked to the street, he has decided that he'd better check up on his hostess first. Silly me, expecting that an open world means getting multiple missions and choosing yourself which to tackle first. Also, we get our first e-mail. Which is spam.

I'm done with this game. As I'm outside of the business, I try to go inside and save but first it twice just puts me into a stupid conversation with someone who wants money and then makes me leave again.

Sadly, after all the people talking this game up I can only say it's a real drag that doesn't manage to rope me in at all. It started fairly promising but it took a dive right into the concrete floor down below. I might finish this if I ever find myself without any other games to play.

Edited by Cubone
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Because I expected a game about the Yakuza, yet what I got in the first few hours that I played was a game that made me pimp out women... xD

Lol. Different people, different tastes I guess. You may like the other characters' stories more, if you can push through his. I loved them all so far, though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scyther said:

Lol. Different people, different tastes I guess. You may like the other characters' stories more, if you can push through his. I loved them all so far, though. 

Yeah, I'm usually already not that into JRPGs, I think perhaps I expected more of an LA Noire, GTA or whatever type deal in the sense that it's all about the darkness of the Yakuza. Maybe like the Japanese movie Infernal Affairs. I sure didn't expect the same full-blown J madness for which many visual novels are known. I'm very much into Japanese horror and thirller films and series, but I'm not usually the one who appreciates the weirdens of J-games, with the exception of Ace Attorney (which is very moderate in its J-crazy, I think).

As it's a PS3 game, chances are getting smaller and smaller that I'll go back to it. Perhaps with one of the sequels, if one of the PS4 ones goes on PS+.

1 minute ago, Cubone said:

Yeah, I'm usually already not that into JRPGs, I think perhaps I expected more of an LA Noire, GTA or whatever type deal in the sense that it's all about the darkness of the Yakuza. Maybe like the Japanese movie Infernal Affairs. I sure didn't expect the same full-blown J madness for which many visual novels are known. I'm very much into Japanese horror and thirller films and series, but I'm not usually the one who appreciates the weirdens of J-games, with the exception of Ace Attorney (which is very moderate in its J-crazy, I think).

As it's a PS3 game, chances are getting smaller and smaller that I'll go back to it. Perhaps with one of the sequels, if one of the PS4 ones goes on PS+.

Well, I know the escaped inmate's and detective's stories were pretty dark. And there's no more of that type of minigame forced on you in their stories, at least. The loan shark's tale was probably the least gritty. And had the most weirdness. His is where the underwear thief appeared too. Lol. There hasn't been anything as ridiculous as that since. 

3 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

IIRC there should be an option somewhere to level up your character with Berry. Could be that I mix that up with Hyrule Warriors where it was definetly an option. This way you only need to grind for money.

Yeah, you can use money to upgrade, I'd prefer if other characters would also level up in combat though. Not a fan of that system. At least in Warriors Orochi they mixed it up so you would gain XP during battles as well as invest money if you wanted to. I was hoping it would be similar in this one.

14 hours ago, dertswa687o said:

Game #3 - Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition

L39e2fc.png

This game is very fun. It's a 2D Metroidvania through and through, just with a little more focus on combat.

I really should play that game some more, haven't played it beyond getting the first trophy.

3 minutes ago, Scyther said:

L7fa72c.png

Day 1- Gal*Gun Double Peace 

Oh, man.. I don't even know what I'll be able to add to a final review, 'cause I already finished a playthrough. It's that short. But here we go.

You play as a guy named Houdai, who is unpopular with the ladies. Until a cupid angel shoots you with a massive dose of love arrows, that is. Now, they're all coming for you. I guess there are worse things in life? But due to the effects of the arrows, Houdai must find his true love by the end of the day, or remain alone and unloved for the rest of his life. :o 

Now, the reason the cupid angel shot him with such a massive dose, was to keep a demon angel who had him in her sights from shooting him. So she's not as bad as you think. And now this demon angel will take control of some of the girls, and they will do... sadistic things to our poor Houdai (the more I type this name, the more I think a new meme could be made just for him; HOLD THE DIE!).

Besides the plethora of girls chasing after Houdai, the two main love interests are sisters that were friends with him when they were young. They are demon hunters, and aren't so easily swayed by cupid's influence (they have some kind of guardian that protects them, I think it was). So he has to work for their affection. 

Sounds harmless enough so far, right? Well, here comes the gameplay discussion. For the most part, this in an on rails shooter. What this means is, you just sit back and aim and shoot girls as they pop up (some will be possessed by demons, and you can shoot those first to turn them back to normal). Doing so gives them... pleasure. :/ Moreso, if you hit their weak point. Hitting multiple weak points in a row without getting hit will increase your combo, making your score go up more over the course of the level. As you rack up the points, your rank will increase. You need an S rank by the end of the game, if you want to get a True Ending. 

Besides shooting the girls, you can zoom in on certain body parts to learn their measurements. And at the same time, see through their clothes.. You will be seeing a lot of underwear in this game, I kid you not. If @Cubone found Yakuza 4 uncomfortable, I advise him to run very far from this one. Learning their measurements, picking up their notebooks (scattered around the levels, and have to be shot to obtain), getting their ending in the True Love route, and using Doki-Doki mode on them in their gym clothes and swimsuit adds information to their profiles, which can be viewed from the Main Menu. This will be the biggest grind for the Plat, as there are a lot of girls. 

Doki-Doki mode is something you can activate when it charges up enough. Once activated, you'll end up on a new screen with 1-3 girls, depending on how much the bar had charged (goes from 1 to 3) and how many you activated it on (even with a full gauge, you can choose less than 3, or there may not even be 3 on the screen). Then you have to shoot their weak spots, trying to avoid shooting spots they don't like (indicated by pink hearts and broken purple hearts) to fill up a bar. Once full, they will explode from pleasure, and take out any other girls on the screen. 

Most of it is fairly fun, but will probably get repetitive. But the bane of my existence have been these parts that utilize the PS4's touchpad. I think my controller is mostly to blame here, but if you fail to get a Perfect rating, it means redoing the entire level you just completed to get back to the touchpad minigame. There's no saving in between them. Only in between chapters. And you want to get Perfect ratings for True Endings (as well as the overall S rank), because you also need to max the girl's affection. So yeah, kind of a pain in the butt that my touchpad seems to stop responding shortly after turning on the PS4 (even in PSN Messages). I hope it's the controller that's the problem.. 

Despite all that, it's a relatively short game, and not all that difficult. I'm not a stranger to super perverted games, as I've played Monster Monpiece and one of those Senran Kagura games. So I like it. It's just not the greatest thing ever. 

Time played: No idea, but I'll guess maybe 5 hours. 

Trophy progress: 15/39 for 25% and a B rank. 

... the fuck...

1 minute ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Funny thing is that this is probably the best game of the genre to have been released in the last 20 years (without counting VR).

Yeah, there haven't been a lot of on rails shooters. I liked Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear (Afghanistan, not so much..), so I thought I'd give it a shot. I impulse buy a lot of games at $5 or $6. Lol. 

6 minutes ago, Scyther said:

Yeah, there haven't been a lot of on rails shooters. I liked Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear (Afghanistan, not so much..), so I thought I'd give it a shot. I impulse buy a lot of games at $5 or $6. Lol. 

I played Shattered Spear as well and thought it was borderline decent. Having to play through it in one go, because of glitches wasn't particularly fun neither were the 1 or 2 sixaxis bits. The gameplay was decent enough that I considered buying Afghanistan. That changed when I realised that the game still goes for 50 bucks in Europe lol.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

12 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

I played Shattered Spear as well and thought it was borderline decent. Having to play through it in one go, because of glitches wasn't particularly fun neither were the 1 or 2 sixaxis bits. The gameplay was decent enough that I considered buying Afghanistan. That changed when I realised that the game still goes for 50 bucks in Europe lol.

Lol. They're not nearly as expensive here. Although, nothing will beat what I paid on PSN for them, unless they end up on Plus. I miss those less than a dollar Flash Sales.. 

Controls felt tighter in Shattered Spear, though. The glitchy trophies did suck, but I was rushing through games at the time to set up a milestone, so it probably wouldn't have changed how I approached it.