Net Neutrality Awareness Thread

Remilia Scarlet

I saw this coming years ago.

The current White House administration and Congress don't care at all for Net Neutrality. The FCC plans to end it.

With the clowns running America these days I don't see any chance of this getting repealed and brought to court.

Corporations own America. Your freedom is at stake.

Comcast gaining a significant share of the internet market was a catastrophic mistake.

Edited by Spaz

I really recommend NOT using the pre-filled message. They're claiming that last time they tried this, that 80% of the people who wrote in against it were bots. I'm thinking that's because a lot of people used the pre-filled message forms. Don't give them an excuse to just write off what you send as a "bot".

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I saw this coming years ago.

The current White House administration and Congress don't care at all for Net Neutrality. The FCC plans to end it.

With the clowns running America these days I don't see any chance of this getting repealed and brought to court.

Corporations own America. Your freedom is at stake.

Comcast gaining a significant share of the internet market was a catastrophic mistake.

While this administration is bad, I don't think it is fair to blame this all on them. Corporations have been running America for a very long time and while the US claims to have a 2 party system it is really just 1 party with different talking points. While the Left will fight for Gay Rights and the Right will fight for Tax Reform...they all follow whatever the different lobbies want...but the illusion of choice is there. 

• Like 3

Net neutrality is a bit more complex than the talking points and fear mongering. 

I'm neutral on the decision because it was fine before net neutrality. Does comcrap still suck? Yup. Others? Yup. This will change little for actual consumers either way. 

And they call it neutrality, but it's not actually freedom or guarantees. As we found out Netflix was throttling. Yeah it's not your isp for those who want to point it out to me.  

When they come up with a plan to have fiber in every home(literally), I'll take it seriously. Or get rid of isp throttling/data caps period. Until then, I'm uninterested. 

• Like 1

Year after year it's been fought for, yet here we are again. All I can say is that whatever happens I hope for a vibrant future of online sites / entertainment. Personally think there needs to be more competition then the major providers. Also I'd like to see an end on Data caps, as someone who always had unlimited it's ridiculous

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

While this administration is bad, I don't think it is fair to blame this all on them. Corporations have been running America for a very long time and while the US claims to have a 2 party system it is really just 1 party with different talking points. While the Left will fight for Gay Rights and the Right will fight for Tax Reform...they all follow whatever the different lobbies want...but the illusion of choice is there. 

I'm not trying to pin all the blame on them. I'm just saying they won't care at all when this gets passed through.

Barack Obama could of done a lot more during his reign, but much of what he wanted to do for the betterment of America was up to the people who financed his campaign. The people with money and power aren't doing much to give America a better future. This has been going on for many decades.

I've long since given up on both parties and I consider myself more so an Independent, even though I'm really just forming my own conclusions.

Comcast is no different that how they were 10 years ago. Since then they've bought out more companies, expanded into more territory, and given the middle finger to their customers. The reason so many companies have their customer service overseas is to save money. I have collectively spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours with people who clearly don't understand English, and yet I had to speak with them over a problem that could of easily been fixed in one phone call. It's really quite sad when I had to spend hours on the phone just to get a simple problem fixed. But that's customer service for you.

Our internet infrastructure, along with our denial of Global Warming and our refusal to instate a Universal Health Care system makes America look more like a laughing stock. People will continue to fight for what they believe is the right thing to do, and people will fight against the other side.

Given that few people have any influence in the elections is a sign that our freedoms aren't as good as we might think. Last I checked, six companies own at least 90 percent of all the media in America. In 1983, that percentage was owned by 50 companies. 15 billionaires own America's News Media Companies. With those statistics, it's no wonder we have been subject to the same sort of programming and format. It's all about gaining a bigger share of the pie, eliminating competition. Competition is good. Monopolies are bad.

Eliminating Net Neutrality is good for the corporations because they want monopolies. With monopolies in place these companies can charge however high of price they want for internet service. They don't have to invest money into their own company, much less their employees and the infrastructure they maintain.

Edited by Spaz

On 11/22/2017 at 2:53 AM, Jigglypuff said:

Thankfully, the Internet won't give up without a fight and the fight will go to the bitter end. That being said, I also think it'll probably be tied up in court for a long time. Somebody will take the bozos to court. Still....

Agreed.  A vote to kill Net Neutrality won't be the end of it.  The EFF is probably planning their next move.

Corporations' stranglehold on America needs to be undone.  Their lobbying needs to be considered by law as bribery, and politicians who "sell out" should be criminalized.

We need to pass a law that makes it illegal to not have it xD I know that sounds stupid af the way I word it but hey, my whole profile is a meme. 

Seriously we need to be rid of this and for good, no one fucking wants it, and the people ignorant to it, they dont want it either after you explain it to them what it is. 

Land of citizen spying and home of coorperatization.  Where cooperation and big money corrupt and rule.

On 11/23/2017 at 1:14 AM, Spaz said:

Given that few people have any influence in the elections is a sign that our freedoms aren't as good as we might think.

I know that Americans are spoon fed the opposite from birth, but this is an example of the ubiquitous corruption in America.  I know, its a sin to say that America isn't the leader in Freedom nor a pillar of pure unadulteration (Im referring to corruption), but the American political system is a cesspool, top (federal) to bottom (local).

?  Who's that kicking in my door?

• Like 1

On 11/21/2017 at 11:58 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

Agreed completely. 

8 minutes ago, Jigglypuff said:

Well, another bad thing about this is, if this goes through, other governments around the world will probably get the same idea. So if you're outside the US, don't fool yourself into thinking it won't impact you. You're probably wrong.

Agreed as well. 

Edited by starcrunch061

50 minutes ago, Jigglypuff said:

Well, another bad thing about this is, if this goes through, other governments around the world will probably get the same idea. So if you're outside the US, don't fool yourself into thinking it won't impact you. You're probably wrong.

Forget throttling, governments around the world already have a firewall for sites the people can't access. 

Has nothing to do with "net neutrality", but throttling is the least of their worries. Even European countries

Yikes, I read some news sites about congressmen getting death threats from protesters that if they don't stop the Net Neutrality repeal, they will harm them and their family in life threatening ways. Even Atji Pai is getting harassed by them and even his family is not safe from the harassments. I'm not defending Pai, but I think people should learn to control their anger because taking it out on those who plan to kill things they liked isn't gonna make the situation better and I meant by the extremes protesters are doing to try to save Net Neutrality.

12 hours ago, MMX20 said:

Yikes, I read some news sites about congressmen getting death threats from protesters that if they don't stop the Net Neutrality repeal, they will harm them and their family in life threatening ways. Even Atji Pai is getting harassed by them and even his family is not safe from the harassments. I'm not defending Pai, but I think people should learn to control their anger because taking it out on those who plan to kill things they liked isn't gonna make the situation better and I meant by the extremes protesters are doing to try to save Net Neutrality.

Yeah, event if you don't like the guy, that doesn't excuse it. There's are many good ways to do this Threatening to hurt or kill someone isn't one of them. Sadly, there's always crazies in everything.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

So, I hear it's tomorrow for you guys.

All I can say is, good luck, you Americans will need it x.x

Well, even so, the new rules likely won't go into effect until January at the earliest and pretty much everyone is expecting there will be legal challenges...so it'll probably be a while before we know the full impact. It's not over just yet.

Edited by Jigglypuff

11 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

Well, even so, the new rules likely won't go into effect until January at the earliest and pretty much everyone is expecting there will be legal challenges...so it'll probably be a while before we know the full impact. It's not over just yet.

Yeah. Even if the new rules does go into effect after it passes, nothing bad will happen to us Americans if they truly kill off net neutrality. But that's my opinion and I'm neutral on the net neutrality thing. 

Like Jigglypuff said to me on a PM, we just have to wait and see. But again, this is my opinion and I say nothing awful will happen if they go through with the repeal.

• Like 1

Today's result was as I expected. I'm disappointed, but not surprised. Luckily, it doesn't go into effect immediately. They said the current rules will remain on the books for a couple months. Obviously, the battle was lost, but the war is far from being finished. Several groups plan to take it to court and are going to keep driving to contact Congress. I'm still going to try and be positive and hope this ultimately has a positive outcome. Being negative does no good! So keep contacting Congress about this! Also, do so if you haven't already.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jigglypuff said:

Today's result was as I expected. I'm disappointed, but not surprised. Luckily, it doesn't go into effect immediately. They said the current rules will remain on the books for a couple months. Obviously, the battle was lost, but the war is far from being finished. Several groups plan to take it to court and are going to keep driving to contact Congress. I'm still going to try and be positive and hope this ultimately has a positive outcome. Being negative does no good! So keep contacting Congress about this! Also, do so if you haven't already.

Well said, Jigglypuff. I'm neutral about this and I may be right or wrong about this, but I'm sure nothing bad will happen over the next couple of months.