Need Advice from People who Buy Collector Edtions of Videogames

Leaderboards

Greetings all!

I like to collect collector editions of video games.

I mostly preorder/buy from Amazon. Lately their shipping practices have been piss poor and for like the third time already I received a damaged CE. So three strikes you are out Jeffy-B!

So for the people who collect this crap, who do you recommend I switch to, Best Buy, Target, Walmart or...GameStop, or do these guys treat CEs as a Frisbee at the warehouse too? Lol.

Tell me your experiences, tell me your story, and you will live eternal in the hearts of men who tread the path of the Collector Edition Struggle.

Thanks you, you sexy beasts!

Edited by TurdFlingingApe

3 minutes ago, Mako said:

I Don't get my CE's shipped anymore, Amazon fucked up my Destiny Ghost edition and the box is screwed... If you have the ability to pick it up physically from gamestop then do that, never had a problem.

Of course, forgot store pickup was a thing! /smacks head against statue of Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn CE

Yeah I heard some rumors on the Internets that they messed up the Destiny Ghost edition, sorry that happened to you :(

Have you ever gone to a store pickup and tell the dude that the box he wants to give you is unsatisfactory? Will he look in the back and get you a better looking box?

Any CEs I can/want to get, I'll get them from Gamestop, I've had no problems with them at all and picking it up the morning of release as soon as the store opens is more satisfying that waiting for it to be delivered. Only time I ever ordered a CE from elsewhere was the DR Another Episode CE from NISA, only problem there was the package arrived 3 days later due to shipping error, but no damage whatsoever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TurdFlingingApe said:

Have you ever gone to a store pickup and tell the dude that the box he wants to give you is unsatisfactory? Will he look in the back and get you a better looking box?

Nah, Haven't had that problem myself as i know the managers for my gamestops, they'll send it back if it's even slightly smashed for me. 

From what i've heard from other people though, you can decline to take it and get your money back, or if its new they can check but it's really up to the employee.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mako said:

Nah, Haven't had that problem myself as i know the managers for my gamestops, they'll send it back if it's even slightly smashed for me. 

From what i've heard from other people though, you can decline to take it and get your money back, or if its new they can check but it's really up to the employee.

Ok thanks for your quick responses and advice. I'll thumbs you up when my limit gets refreshed. I will never forget about you and your lust for maids!

From now on I will do Store-Pickup even if it means I have to go outside and get sun and talk to...real people T_T

Nice PSN name btw lol.

7 minutes ago, TheFinalEmblem said:

Any CEs I can/want to get, I'll get them from Gamestop, I've had no problems with them at all and picking it up the morning of release as soon as the store opens is more satisfying that waiting for it to be delivered. Only time I ever ordered a CE from elsewhere was the DR Another Episode CE from NISA, only problem there was the package arrived 3 days later due to shipping error, but no damage whatsoever.

Thank you for your answer :) and thanks for fighting for your friends if your name is a Fire Emblem reference ;)

• Like 1

Amazon has been hit or miss with me this year. I'd say most of my deliveries come undamaged, but a lot of games that I get have the disc ejected from the case. Normally I'd freak out, but blurays are scratch resistant thankfully. This never really used to be a problem but I think the past 3 games I got from them all had the disc ejected, like they just throw the game down on the conveyor belt to shipment.

I ordered some stuff from Target and they were all packaged nicely. The cool thing about Best Buy and GameStop is if a delivery is damaged you can go to a nearby store and get it exchanged right there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Death_Ninja said:

I ordered some stuff from Target and they were all packaged nicely. The cool thing about Best Buy and GameStop is if a delivery is damaged you can go to a nearby store and get it exchanged right there.

Can't believe I forgot about this as well. Thanks for mentioning this Iwai Senpai!

• Like 1

I guess I have been lucky with Amazon, when I have to get a game day one I order from them. Coincidentally, of the last four I ordered I have only played one (played Batman: Arkham KnightDeus Ex, Overwatch and Persona 5 are still sitting on the side). I give them bonus points on Deus Ex because of the funky triangle shaped box it came in, it had to be difficult to stack.

I also check Gamestop's price drops every Wednesday to see if I can get some good stuff on the cheap. I got Splintercell: Blacklist, which came with a real remote control plane, for $50 and just bought Doom Collectors this week for $40 (it just dropped to this price). Ironically I have yet to play either of those too.

Bonus tip:  I recommend you use their website to see if they have the one you are looking for in stock at a local store, which is more reliable than trying to look for it in the store. Many times these deals are kept "in the back" from my experience lol?

Edited by Bullstomp
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

I guess I have been lucky with Amazon, when I have to get a game day one I order from them. Coincidentally, of the last four I ordered I have only played one (played Batman: Arkham KnightDeus Ex, Overwatch and Persona 5 are still sitting on the side). I give them bonus points on Deus Ex because of the funky triangle shaped box it came in, it had to be difficult to stack.

I also check Gamestop's price drops every Wednesday to see if I can get some good stuff on the cheap. I got Splintercell: Blacklist, which came with a real remote control plane, for $50 and just bought Doom Collectors this week for $40 (it just dropped to this price). Ironically I have yet to play either of those too.

Bonus tip:  I recommend you use their website to see if they have the one you are looking for in stock at a local store, which is more reliable than trying to look for it in the store. Many times these deals are kept "in the back" from my experience lol1f609.png

Yeah sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you get a microscopic tear on a corner and the OCD kicks in.

I managed to get Doom CE for $40 a couple months ago, we are doom brothers now.

Right, the in-stock-store-tracker, good idea.

Thanks Mr. Rush and Crush!

My next CE will be Yakuza 6 >:) and maybe Ni No Kuni once I rob a bank >:)

• Like 1

In most case blame your local delivery service.My most of the Shopto,Gameseek purchases dissappeared after entered my country.My MG Rising Limited had a lot of bandages shows they checked it at the border.Amazon is very friendly and helps if you get damaged product or it went missing.It depends on luck to be honest most of my friends got zero deformation on their Battlefield 1 CE or Shadow of War Mithril editions (they are huge CEs).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrenchDevil54 said:

I usually order CEs from Play-Asia and their packaging is quite good imo, never received a damaged box for CEs or regular editions.

I also ordered a few ones from ebay sellers and so far always been lucky, at least you can check the comments from previous buyers.

I can recommend play-asia.com too. Good packaging - never had any issues. If you're lucky, you'll also find a 5$ voucher in your package.

Edited by AvengedEvil
Typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Death_Ninja said:

Amazon has been hit or miss with me this year. I'd say most of my deliveries come undamaged, but a lot of games that I get have the disc ejected from the case. Normally I'd freak out, but blurays are scratch resistant thankfully. This never really used to be a problem but I think the past 3 games I got from them all had the disc ejected, like they just throw the game down on the conveyor belt to shipment.

I work at an Amazon warehouse and the policy I was taught was to damage out the product if the disk is loose or ejected from the holder. This would then downgrade the product to a possible used status. But I also work with a bunch of dicks....so I imagine a lot of people just stow it away and don't pay attention to those details. Also highly possible that when the item is picked for an order, it will get thrown around a bit before making it to be packed. Again, people don't check the status of the item. They just move along.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xKrAzY_8sx said:

I work at an Amazon warehouse and the policy I was taught was to damage out the product if the disk is loose or ejected from the holder. This would then downgrade the product to a possible used status. But I also work with a bunch of dicks....so I imagine a lot of people just stow it away and don't pay attention to those details. Also highly possible that when the item is picked for an order, it will get thrown around a bit before making it to be packed. Again, people don't check the status of the item. They just move along.

Do they have air conditioners turned on in these warehouses?

On 11/23/2017 at 3:38 AM, xKrAzY_8sx said:

Yeah I wasn't trying to outright blame anyone as it could be a number of factors, like you said you just have to move things along. Hell they could have popped out while being shipped from the actual distributor before coming to Amazon's warehouses.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2017 at 8:10 AM, johncnstntn__ said:

In most case blame your local delivery service.My most of the Shopto,Gameseek purchases dissappeared after entered my country.My MG Rising Limited had a lot of bandages shows they checked it at the border.Amazon is very friendly and helps if you get damaged product or it went missing.It depends on luck to be honest most of my friends got zero deformation on their Battlefield 1 CE or Shadow of War Mithril editions (they are huge CEs).

In my experience shopto are bloody crooks. Avoid like the plague.

Amazon in general should be avoided for CE's. In Europe they shipped Doom PS4 CE's as they come without any other packaging and address stickers glued to the box. Unfortunately Amazon is a general store and a volume shipper, not a quality one.

• Like 1

If you sign up for Gamer's Club Unlocked for Best Buy (2 years for $30), you can get the 20% off from them on CEs and even do in-store pickup if you want to avoid the possibility of the product being damage when delivered. I know my CE of Persona 5 was very well packaged and came in pristine condition when I ordered it from BB. I don't usually have much to say beyond that, though, since I typically avoid CEs.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2017 at 11:21 AM, TurdFlingingApe said:

Do they have air conditioners turned on in these warehouses?

Climate controlled. It can get hot in the one I work at in places.

On 11/24/2017 at 5:38 PM, Death_Ninja said:

Yeah I wasn't trying to outright blame anyone as it could be a number of factors, like you said you just have to move things along. Hell they could have popped out while being shipped from the actual distributor before coming to Amazon's warehouses.

Very true. 

• Like 2

I usually get Collection edition from EB Games since their a more specialize game retailer. Plus you don't always have to pre-order the collections, sometimes they will have overstock or returns that are much easy to pick up. That's how I got my Doom CE and Fallout 4 game of the year edition with pitboy IV. Though it was really tempting to pick up that Destiny 2 CE that I saw, but it was too expensive.

That said though EB Games probably isn't the best place either, the service isn't great, you don't save much money, and not the nicest workers. But their are convenient and have a great selection.

Thought now I got to stop getting CE, their just too big and expensive to get. Plus I'm out of room on my shelf, Wolfenstien 2 CE is the last one I'm getting.

• Like 1

I've bought a few collectors editions, namely the FFXIII trilogy, X/X-2 HD, Tales of Xillia and Graces. I bought FF13 and 13-2 at a shop called GAME, which is like Gamestop in the UK (As we don't have a Gamestop, but they are almost the same). In terms of online, I used Shop To for LR which was all good. I bought both the Tales games at HMV in store.

I never used Amazon for collectors editions as I've heard delays and what not with them from other people, and I usually pick based on the DLC bonuses as they can sometimes vary (as it did with Lightning Returns). 

I don't but CE's anymore though as I find them too expensive and not really worth it unless there's a physical gift involved. I've got a lot of Limited eds and day one editions which usually came with things like tote bags, a poster etc. 

• Like 1