Dead Island - What Do You Think?

Dreakon139

I just realized it's coming out next Tuesday, right after a long weekend (for some of us). This game is on my short list of possibilities of games to get (Uncharted 3 is a must buy, Skyrim is a possibility lol) but I really haven't looked into it much.

What do you think of it at the moment? It looks to me, more or less, like a open world Left 4 Dead with more of a emphasis on melee and tactics than mowing down hordes of zombies. Does that sound right? The closest thing I have to a good ol' fashioned zombie game is Resident Evil 5, and I was a pretty big fan of Left 4 Dead when I briefly owned a Xbox... so it fills a void for me.

I think it sounds pretty good on paper, we'll see next week how it's executed though I guess. Regardless though, what do you think? Are you planning on getting it? Any fun details about the game that others may not be aware of that would encourage them to get it?! :P

I'm interested in it, but not enough to buy on release day. I'll wait a few days or weeks until some solid gameplay videos are up on YouTube and make my decision then. Plus, my wife expressed a little interest in it so if it has local co-op that would be a massive plus for this game.

Parker

Sadly, there looks to be no local coop, just 4 player online coop. What a missed opportunity...

And I'm not loving the RPG elements in the game either (though I'll admit to knowing little about it). I was hoping for some zombie smashing goodness, not level up to more betterly smash zombies.

I think you pretty much nailed the concept of the game. This was not on my radar until recently, now it will be a day 1 pickup for me (or a 2 week pickup when I get back from vacation). The game just looks really cool and stylish, and this is coming from a guy who does'nt care about FPS and zombies.

This has been a day 1 pick up for since, E1.

The only thing I until was a bit afraid of was Coop, because there is a lot of bad players out there, but lucky 1 of my friends + alot of ppl from PS3T Pro is getting this, so I have a team for this game and now just wait for September 9 to arrive.

Red Edition for me - http://www.ps3blog.net/2011/08/07/dead-island-red-edition/

I enjoyed Left 4 Dead when I played it at my friend's house, so this might be of interest to me. I'm kinda waiting on my friend to decide if he's going to get it, because I need that extra motivator to help me over the fence. The artistry in the theatrical trailer alone was enough to make me consider it.

I've got some comments/questions/concerns about the game. I was reading a bit about the story and a few things came to mind.

Why is it that the main characters in zombie stories are always immune to the zombification? Is it the only logical reason for them being alive? Is it traditional or did it spawn from a popular zombie story?

Also, all of the main characters in this game particularly don't seem to have their heads on straight? They've all got some dirty secrets.

• 3 weeks later...

Love it so far... im only about 2 hours into it because i was waiting for it to be patched so im still kinda new...

This is a great survival horror RPG that reminds me a lot like a Zombie version of a Fallout/Borderlands mix with the loot hunting and the weapon mods and the questing system... its just great fun and i could see myself putting in the time to platinum this game...

I can some up this game with one word - FUN!!!

The RPG aspect is nice change to the typical beat-em up. The zombies also level with the character, so going back to the beginning will give you a challenge instead of just a cake walk. Running them over with a vehicle is especially fun.

Would recommend this to anyone - zombie lover or not. :)

I can some up this game with one word - FUN!!!

The RPG aspect is nice change to the typical beat-em up. The zombies also level with the character, so going back to the beginning will give you a challenge instead of just a cake walk. Running them over with a vehicle is especially fun.

Would recommend this to anyone - zombie lover or not. :)

I would agree with that... im not a huge zombie lover but the Fallout/Borderlands feel with a touch of Dead Rising brings a great game to the table... Sad that so many great games have come out around the same time because i hardly have any time to play them all, lol...

• 4 weeks later...

I've got some comments/questions/concerns about the game. I was reading a bit about the story and a few things came to mind.

Why is it that the main characters in zombie stories are always immune to the zombification? Is it the only logical reason for them being alive? Is it traditional or did it spawn from a popular zombie story?

Not that I know of. In classic zombie scenarios, nobody is ever immune, and that's the whole fun of it. That's what gives the fear and tension. I suppose in a video game though, being hit once and having that considered your death point would suck. It is indeed a cheap excuse, but that really depends if the story in this game goes anywhere with this...not far at all.

Still, if I go from the roots, which are classic Romero and Fulcio movies, this usually isn't an element. Then again, this game borrows the infection theme rather than the traditional zombie theme, but it's pretty much the same thing, so...(The Crazies isn't zombies dammit) ecxept that the infection theme deals a lot more with the technical side of an outbreak, rather than leaving it to God.

I like the game so far. It's pretty creepy and unsettling, nice atmosphere. Doing missions and all is fun, but its also really slow. I think I spent like four hours backtracking and killing respawning zombies over and over just to get some guy his beer. It's also really annoying how the only way to save your progress is to either complete or start a quest, although there seems to be some random checkpoints here and there.

Overall I'm liking it though, killing zombies is fun, and collecting crap has some weird satisfaction to it. What's important is that it creeps me the hell out, and that's always a fine time.

I think there's a glitch in my copy though...once you get your peeps to the lifeguard tower, there's a girl who's sick, and she won't stop coughing. She's lying on a gurney, and you gotta get medical supplies for her. So I get those, and complete the quest. So after a bit I go back in there, and I hear her coughing again...right where the gurney is, there's coughing sounds. But she's nowhere to be seen. What the hell man, is she dead, is her ghost eternally coughing? What's going on?

Also, I met James at the lighthouse, and he told me to help out his people. I took quests from them and all. Next time I boot the game up again, all my quests I took from them are recorded, done or in the progress of being done...but I had to meet James all over again. Like as if I hadn't. That was bizarre.

• 2 weeks later...

Man...I just don't know about this game. It seems as if the opinions are pretty split. Some say it is good & fun, others state the glitches turn them off.

I'd like to give this game a try, but with such mixed reviews, I don't know if I am $60 anxious to play it either.

Man...I just don't know about this game. It seems as if the opinions are pretty split. Some say it is good & fun, others state the glitches turn them off.

I'd like to give this game a try, but with such mixed reviews, I don't know if I am $60 anxious to play it either.

Have any RedBox's near you? Both of the RedBox booths near me have Dead Island and from what I understand there is no online pass so you will have full online co-op functionality if you rent it. I've been meaning to check it out as well but haven't got around to it.

Parker

Have any RedBox's near you? Both of the RedBox booths near me have Dead Island and from what I understand there is no online pass so you will have full online co-op functionality if you rent it. I've been meaning to check it out as well but haven't got around to it.

Parker

I like the game. It's very similar to Borderlands. Don't overthink this one though. The story isn't good and the characters are somewhat cliche. That isn't where this game is at though. This game is about zombie killing, end of mankind, fight to stay alive type scenario. Which I felt it did do fairly decent. There is four player online coop, so you can get together with a couple friends and slice and dice your way from one end of the island to the other.

Unfortunately, Dead Island does have more than it's fair share of problems. I've been lucky enough to have not had any too bad. I've seen recently where you can buy DI for around $45 at Best Buy. Which is fair, but if you can wait til it's under $30. Do it.

That is pretty much where I am really Rowdi. I think I'll wait for the price to drop a bit and then give it a go.

Be sure that you have a couple of friends that are able to play with before you buy this. I've had one of my worst experiences with randoms today on this game and it's made me somewhat bitter. Sp is still a viable option and is preferable to joining randoms imo.

Care to elaborate a little? I don't have the game, but I'd be curious to here a randoms gone wrong situation. :P

Just out for a good laugh huh? ;)

For starters, DI's servers have been a little touch and go with match making, but that isn't what I mentioned earlier.

Mostly just little kids misbehaving while mommy and daddy aren't looking.

I know this kind of behavior isn't just isolated to DI. Just saying........

Edit: wasn't really post worthy.

Care to elaborate a little? I don't have the game, but I'd be curious to here a randoms gone wrong situation. :P

The only major problem I have so far is that a lot of the time people will wander off and do their own thing, which is fine, but that leaves you doing the quests alone with much tougher zombies to deal with. Definitely play this one with friends if you can.

Be sure that you have a couple of friends that are able to play with before you buy this. I've had one of my worst experiences with randoms today on this game and it's made me somewhat bitter. Sp is still a viable option and is preferable to joining randoms imo.

Don't you even think about trading or selling DI when you finish it Rowdi. At least that way I'll have you and Mike to hook up with! :lol:

Don't you even think about trading or selling DI when you finish it Rowdi. At least that way I'll have you and Mike to hook up with! :lol:

I wouldn't dream of letting this game go. :P

I've already got it tucked away. I haven't made up my mind about dlc yet. I'll wait to see if that's any good before I buy that though.

Btw, amxtj has it too.