Jak X Trophy Thoughts?

johntatsi

I'm almost done, got one track holding me back from the platinum and typically it's the same one that took me ages to get gold on on the original release.

Spargus City Rush Hour on the Yellow Eco Cup really can just go do one.

-Edit-

Changed car & did it first try, typical lol.

Edited by Rattamauled

19 hours ago, Rattamauled said:

I'm almost done, got one track holding me back from the platinum and typically it's the same one that took me ages to get gold on on the original release.

Spargus City Rush Hour on the Yellow Eco Cup really can just go do one.

-Edit-

Changed car & did it first try, typical lol.

That one is pretty damn annoying, don't remember if I ever did it on the PS2 but I think I did and kind of left it for the time being on PS4. 

Also while attempting Unanswered (well mainly doing a Capture event) after getting three in a row on the green level, forgot what it was called, (Precursor Basin, I think) the Power Cell just clipped off the map entirely when the Blue Team had it. We were ahead and still won the event but that was just silly. Still a lot of bugs in the game despite the two patches it has received.

1 hour ago, LunchCannon54 said:

That one is pretty damn annoying, don't remember if I ever did it on the PS2 but I think I did and kind of left it for the time being on PS4. 

Also while attempting Unanswered (well mainly doing a Capture event) after getting three in a row on the green level, forgot what it was called, (Precursor Basin, I think) the Power Cell just clipped off the map entirely when the Blue Team had it. We were ahead and still won the event but that was just silly. Still a lot of bugs in the game despite the two patches it has received.

That's mainly because alot of these bugs aren't bug with the port, most of them are legacy bugs from the original PS2 game, including the one you mentioned, alot of clipping through floors in Jak X, you can actually clip through yourself randomly and fall infinitely. 

On 12/8/2017 at 5:03 AM, Linkinito said:

And besides the Sand Shark, you don't need any kind of save file to unlock trophies, so whatever ?

So, in order to get the platinum trophy, you need a little bit more than 2,250,000 precursor orbs. Knowing you get 5-6k per win depending on the mode, that's some serious grinding (campaign gives around 450k orbs).

To grind orbs you can do these two challenges:

- Freeze Rally on Frozen Speedway

- Artifact Race on Mar Coliseum with 1 opponent

Each of them takes 60 to 90 seconds to complete, and give roughly 5,000-5,200 per completion, which gives around 250k per hour.

It's not really worth it to switch to hero mode tbh.

I find myself struggling to get the Gold time on Frozen Speedway so it's not really worth it in my opinion. It's much more lenient in the actual campaign.

Anyway is the Orb payout increased in Hero mode or is it exactly the same? 

I was never great at playing this on the PS2 so seeing the trophy list for this makes me nervous. Time to...ahem... 'git gud', I suppose?

Also, has anything tried the Daxter trick with this version yet? I.E. as in back in the day if you had a PSP and Daxter, you could connect it to Jak X to unlock a few characters from the portable game. Probably the only time I used the USB port on the PS2.

7 hours ago, DemonicPrime said:

I was never great at playing this on the PS2 so seeing the trophy list for this makes me nervous. Time to...ahem... 'git gud', I suppose?

Also, has anything tried the Daxter trick with this version yet? I.E. as in back in the day if you had a PSP and Daxter, you could connect it to Jak X to unlock a few characters from the portable game. Probably the only time I used the USB port on the PS2.

To unlock the characters in the PS4 version, you'll need save data from Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection - but like in the PS2 game, you can only use them in Exhibition Mode (multiplayer). You can also get Ratchet as a character if you still have Ratchet and Clank (2016) save data.  None of these characters are needed for any of the trophies though. 

The game isn't too difficult once you get into it - main issue was with readjusting to PS2 racing controls: a couple of the gold medals were tricky though (I found Sewer Raceway's Freeze Rally in particular to be a pain). Found it weird that there weren't any trophies for 100% of vehicle upgrades, only 50% - but not complaining, there's enough orb grinding as it is. 

• 7 months later...

Harder than other Jak games especially if you're not into racing games but still quite easy overall, i've played the entire Jak saga on PS2 so i know how to deal with these games. A great series.

The only modes that can give you hard time in this game are Freeze Rally and Death Race imo.

• 1 year later...

This is a harder game than the platinum rarity suggests.

Of the Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter games I played, Jak X Combat Racing is the hardest of the bunch.

So far the Yellow Eco Cup has been a bitch. You need a bit of skill and determination to get Gold Medals in most of the events. For the Red and Green Eco Cups I got most of everything on my 1st try, without upgrading my vehicles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

This is a harder game than the platinum rarity suggests.

Of the Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter games I played, Jak X Combat Racing is the hardest of the bunch.

So far the Yellow Eco Cup has been a bitch. You need a bit of skill and determination to get Gold Medals in most of the events. For the Red and Green Eco Cups I got most of everything on my 1st try, without upgrading my vehicles.

I was never able to finish Jak X as a pre-teen. Surprised by its rarity as well.

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

It IS rage inducing. 

Did you have trouble going for the Yellow Eco Cup?

I couldn't tell you for certain. I had trouble winning some events, that's all I know. And you need to win every single one, for whatever reason.. Beating the game doesn't even require that.

But if you upgrade your cart too much, it becomes hell to control. The one I won most stuff with wasn't upgraded that far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

I couldn't tell you for certain. I had trouble winning some events, that's all I know. And you need to win every single one, for whatever reason.. Beating the game doesn't even require that.

But if you upgrade your cart too much, it becomes hell to control. The one I won most stuff with wasn't upgraded that far.

I’m stuck on the Rush Hour event. Requirements are too high and my car keeps flipping out.

8 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I’m stuck on the Rush Hour event. Requirements are too high and my car keeps flipping out.

Yeah, the time limits can be a real pain on some of those. At which point, you may have no choice but to upgrade a car to be fast enough. I think I used a different car for ones like that. 

Checking my game, I had the Javelin X almost maxed out. Engine and Gearbox at 6/8, with Armor and Turbo filled. Believe that was my "fast" car. And then the Boomer was only 4/7 Engine and 4/8 Gearbox, with Turbo and Armor maxed out. That was basically my slower car used for most races. Don't know if that will help, but it worked for me. A few events were still hell to win, though.

7 minutes ago, Sky_RykerXD said:

TTR was more rage inducing for me...

I found that one a lot easier and more fun. Lol. I never bought the DLC, though.

On 11/2/2019 at 7:59 PM, Sky_RykerXD said:

I think I used the Jav X or RTX. The V12 is too much, if I remember correctly and only used it in a few events. I figured the issue is more so the terrain and weight of the cars. Had to learn where not to drive and adjust the line. 

TTR was more rage inducing for me...

Yep, the issue is rather certain parts of the terrain on stages, if not incompetent use of power-sliding/boosting. The entire Jak series has a high learning curve (or areas of so) and intricacies within its gameplay that some people are just uninformed about. These games really reward experimentation and have a level of depth to them goes unnoticed by the average player, one of which in Jak X includes how much influence both boosting and (obviously) the type power-slide you use during power-slides affects your performance in Jak X. The same way CTR is technical (which I bring up because for whatever reason it seem to be the overall more cited power-ups racer), so is Jak X, with constant transitioning button presses being required to be highly successful, mostly during difficult parts of stages. Once you master the mechanics, the game becomes a completely different experience—especially when you incorporate hopping (which is not mandatory) while power-sliding to actually avoid driving mistakes you could have made—still challenging but also easier. The high level play mirrors that of the awesome action-thrilling intro, and it's simply phenomenal that the game foreshadows and allow players to do, unlike a lot of cutscenes in other games where players cannot replicate the actions shown.

Havoc V12 is fine but it does have a higher learning curve (like with the Sand Shark and Daxtermobile) than the more popular similar sized vehicles, which are more like intermediate tier, especially while boosting. Even though I can handle it fine, perhaps I would suggest not to use it to your average player, especially if they're not racing fans/veterans. The Javelin X and Anvil RTX are easier to drive with.

Same, especially with the drifting events. Most of my issues with JX simply came from the poor efforts of the emulation it runs on, doing a disservice to the original PS2 version.

Edited by EcoShifter