Backlog Anonymous - The event to end all backloggery (Year 1)

10 hours ago, Paleblood said:

@ExHaseo How many games did you finish? I don't know why you're listed with 6 games in the OP (???)

I don't remember exactly. I didn't keep a log at first. I'm at 24 since I started keeping count though.

And that's weird you ran into so many issues. I only ran into one glitch in my whole playthrough. I can understand though. I hate Skyrim for the same reason. I've never been able to play for more than 30 min without running into a game breaking glitch. I've tried the 360 and PC version too. I've been curious to try it again, since I heard a lot of issues were patched, but I haven't yet. 

It's always nice when I finish the game I last bought before getting a new one, with that the case, I finished Yonder over the weekend.

Yonder is pretty charming, you travel around a world collecting and crafting and building. Pretty simple game, would be perfect for playing with a child (cutsie graphics, collect cats and sprites, no enemies) but I just had a craving for something super cruisy so I ended up knocking it out.

That takes me up to 5 points at the moment with 20 games finished since we started (added my coin into my sig thanks J they look sick)

Now the bad news, I got sucked back into my oldest gaming addiction. World of Warcraft the Battle for Azeroth comes out today and I'll be jumping back in for a while. So dont expect much progress on my backlog I'm afraid haha

• Like 1

I'll still be working at Switch games, both short one-an-evening games and the slow burns like Captain Toad or L.A. Noire, but I'll be slowing down a bit on PS4 games as next to my daily Rayman Legends routine and trying to go for the Elite Dangerous multiplayer, I now decided I want to go for 100% trophy completion in HITMAN, because I liked the game and I want to get in the right mindset for the sequel, which releases in three months.

Added HITMAN to the list of PS4 games I'm actively working on.

16 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

P.S. @Paleblood, you're already falling behind... You only changed my name at one of the two spots in the OP where you keep participant names B)

Daaamn xD I'll get you next time, you'll see!

Love that gif btw haha

6 hours ago, Dessane said:

That takes me up to 5 points at the moment with 20 games finished since we started (added my coin into my sig thanks J they look sick)

You're welcome :)

6 hours ago, Dessane said:

Now the bad news, I got sucked back into my oldest gaming addiction. World of Warcraft the Battle for Azeroth comes out today and I'll be jumping back in for a while. So dont expect much progress on my backlog I'm afraid haha

It's gotta be 10+ years since I last played WoW. Enjoy your time, hope we'll se you again soon!

J

So I've done some searching on Amazon, and in order to get all of the games I'd want to get in September, I'd have to play and platinum 18 games in order to earn the points ??! So it looks like I need to get cracking with some plats then ?. 

So this is kind of an update for me, but this doesn't count towards the event as I had started it before hand.

I have now finished Crash Bandicoot 1 and got it to 100%! So today, I'm going to start Crash 2 which will be my first game for this event! Oh and today, I'll add the rest of my digital games to my list. I've already added the PS4 games but I just need to add my Xbox One digital games. 

I also think that I might do a sort of roadmap of what games I'll play-plat over the next couple of months, but we'll have to wait until I get my September rota for that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AshestoAshes28 said:

So I've done some searching on Amazon, and in order to get all of the games I'd want to get in September, I'd have to play and platinum 18 games in order to earn the points 1f631.png1f602.png! So it looks like I need to get cracking with some plats then 1f602.png

So this is kind of an update for me, but this doesn't count towards the event as I had started it before hand.

I have now finished Crash Bandicoot 1 and got it to 100%! So today, I'm going to start Crash 2 which will be my first game for this event! Oh and today, I'll add the rest of my digital games to my list. I've already added the PS4 games but I just need to add my Xbox One digital games. 

I also think that I might do a sort of roadmap of what games I'll play-plat over the next couple of months, but we'll have to wait until I get my September rota for that. 

Download Hitman's base game and third episode for free, so you can work on 100%ing the base game and see if it's another game you want to buy in the future!

It's not a purchased game for your count but it will count as a 100%ed base game :D

P.S. Kitten Squad is a free game, easy to 100% and actually a lot more fun than you think when you say "PETA sponsored game".

Edited by Ash Williams

Call of Duty: Modern Cashgrab Remastered

cod20160913modernwarfare.jpg

• Played on Normal
  • Took me 6h to finish
  • Bought it for 12.50€

Hailed by many as the best entry in the series and an overall success. How does it hold up for someone without nostalgia attached to it?

Weeell... It's ok.

Gonna be honest here, I don't see much of a difference to Infinite Warfare despite the setting. The overall execution and presentation was way better in Infinite Warfare, as you would expect from a game made a decade later.

The biggest difference I felt while playing this was how uneven the mission quality felt compared to it's bigger brother. While the best missions felt like solid 7-8/10 marterial, the worst one was more like a 3/10. It also feels like there were more bad/average missions than there were good/great ones, purely from a subjective memory viewpoint, I don't take notes. Also, there are 15 shorter missions instead of 6 long cohesive ones and I don't like that by design.

What was really funny to me was how many ''Look how rad our game is'' moments there are. I'm speaking of all the scenes in games when there is a new generation of hardware and the devs want to show off their new tech.

This generation we had NPC's sticking their faces way too close to the camera the whole time so you can see how juicy the motion capture is and how it was totally worth it to pay 400 bucks for a toy.

And at the start of last generation we had loooooooooooooooooooooooong ass drive sequences through a city or some outdoor area to be impressed by the the size of the game and such. I don't know, I find it nice to remember this sort of stuff this way.

All in all: You shoot the bad guys, main character dies, you get revenge blockbuster style - The credits roll. Call of Duty game done.

I'd give it a 5/10

Played on Xbox One X

J

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

Call of Duty: Modern Cashgrab Remastered

cod20160913modernwarfare.jpg

• Played on Normal
  • Took me 6h to finish
  • Bought it for 12.50€

Hailed by many as the best entry in the series and an overall success. How does it hold up for someone without nostalgia attached to it?

Weeell... It's ok.

Gonna be honest here, I don't see much of a difference to Infinite Warfare despite the setting. The overall execution and presentation was way better in Infinite Warfare, as you would expect from a game made a decade later.

The biggest difference I felt while playing this was how uneven the mission quality felt compared to it's bigger brother. While the best missions felt like solid 7-8/10 marterial, the worst one was more like a 3/10. It also feels like there were more bad/average missions than there were good/great ones, purely from a subjective memory viewpoint, I don't take notes. Also, there are 15 shorter missions instead of 6 long cohesive ones and I don't like that by design.

What was really funny to me was how many ''Look how rad our game is'' moments there are. I'm speaking of all the scenes in games when there is a new generation of hardware and the devs want to show off their new tech.

This generation we had NPC's sticking their faces way too close to the camera the whole time so you can see how juicy the motion capture is and how it was totally worth it to pay 400 bucks for a toy.

And at the start of last generation we had loooooooooooooooooooooooong ass drive sequences through a city or some outdoor area to be impressed by the the size of the game and such. I don't know, I find it nice to remember this sort of stuff this way.

All in all: You shoot the bad guys, main character dies, you get revenge blockbuster style - The credits roll. Call of Duty game done.

I'd give it a 5/10

Played on Xbox One X

J

... Now THAT'S a review setup! 

And yeah, everything I hear from everyone on any Call Of Duty makes me more certain I will never play any of these games.

4 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

And yeah, everything I hear from everyone on any Call Of Duty makes me more certain I will never play any of these games.

Honestly, nobody needs to play one of those. If you look for a dumb blockbuster action game it's fine, for everything else... yeah, not so much.

1 minute ago, Paleblood said:

Honestly, nobody needs to play one of those. If you look for a dumb blockbuster action game it's fine, for everything else... yeah, not so much.

If you're looking for a dumb blockbuster action game... Play DOOM, or Just Cause 3. And those are fine for many more reasons.

Just now, Ash Williams said:

If you're looking for a dumb blockbuster action game... Play DOOM, or Just Cause 3. And those are fine for many more reasons.

But... those are good games. There's a difference you know :hmm:.

Kidding aside, I actually enjoy playing mediocre/bad games sometimes. I think it gives me a better understanding of game design as a whole.

Same with movies, god I love bad movies.

If you know the negative by heart you can appreciate the positive even more. Either that or I'm really weird.

• Like 1

Just now, Paleblood said:

But... those are good games. There's a difference you know :hmm:.

Kidding aside, I actually enjoy playing mediocre/bad games sometimes. I think it gives me a better understanding of game design as a whole.

If you know the negative by heart you can appreciate the positive even more. Either that or I'm really weird.

"Dumb blockbuster action" doesn't necessarily make for a bad game :) which was what I was trying to show... They're very antertaining, but dumb action blockbusters nontheless. Nice over the top action from beginning to end.

I like complaining about bad stuff, regardless of where it's in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

Download Hitman's base game and third episode for free, so you can work on 100%ing the base game and see if it's another game you want to buy in the future!

It's not a purchased game for your count but it will count as a 100%ed base game :D

P.S. Kitten Squad is a free game, easy to 100% and actually a lot more fun than you think when you say "PETA sponsored game".

I've got the full game of Hitman on my bookshelf just begging to be played! It's the nice Steelbook edition as well so I'm looking forward to opening it! :D

41 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

I know right?! That's how I'm going to do mine now so thanks @Paleblood! :P 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AshestoAshes28 said:

I've got the full game of Hitman on my bookshelf just begging to be played! It's the nice Steelbook edition as well so I'm looking forward to opening it! :D

If you've already got it, then there's even less reasons to start it right now!

6 minutes ago, AshestoAshes28 said:

I know right?! That's how I'm going to do mine now so thanks @Paleblood! :P 

I'll keep doing mine the way I've been doing them, low effort except for the picure (a special effort if it's a Switch or non-trophy game), but I put a lot of effort in the style of my KYC-event reviews.

Edited by Ash Williams
Saved post before I commented on the first part

One DLC to 100%!

L873cd8.png

L0b19f7.png

I got all the trophies in the HITMAN bonus episode Landslide. Decided to do this since I'd be home late, and wanted to get an easy sense of achievement and progress in the early days of going for HITMAN's 100% so I would get into the commitment. Landslide is a bonus episode with its own trophy list, one where I don't need to get to level 20 mastery (like the main DLC packs) or need to do Silent Assassin or Suit Only challenges (like the other two bonus episodes).

Not much to say about it. It's still Hitman, with loads of ways to kill your targets. Following opportunities in the game is kind of rewarding, since it's the way to get a small kill cutscene, which can often get very over the top and/or cool.

I'm going to play the Zaccaria Pinball base game on Switch before going to sleep, I think. I'll let you know what I thought afterwards, possibly tomorrow if I'm too tired by the time I'm done.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paleblood said:

I do this sometimes too. I'll intentionally play something bad when I'm in a rut, to give myself more of an appreciation for good games. Just slogging through a terrible game makes the next few seem like masterpieces by comparison. That's why I've got games like Burning Crusade and American McGee's Alice on my backlog. I dunno, maybe we're both just really weird, haha.

• Like 1

Played the free part!

header.jpg?t=1533219286

As I'm enjoying The Pinball Arcade a lot, I decided to give Zaccaria Pinball a try.

I've played the table that comes free with the game, and based on my experience, I won't soon buy any additional tables for this game but I'll stick with the tables I've got. Simply put: there don't seem to be many tables giving me something I don't already have in The Pinball Arcade, and Zaccaria Pinball seems to be trying to drown me in menu and customisation options, which I get very uncomfortable by as I just want to play a game of regular pinball. I don't need to know what additional modes there are, I don't feel like hearing about all the lighting options and I definitely don't see why I should be able to customise the size of the ball.

Well, at least it's another game off of the backlog, right? P.S. Oh yeah, and this is the sixth game I play through (for any definition of playing through a game that includes a pinball game with one free table) since rejoining, meaning I could buy two new games. As said, I've got HITMAN 2 coming up which I haven't paid for yet, I haven't paid for Red Dead Redemption II yet and I might still go for that, and I want to keep at least two allowed buys for when LIMBO and INSIDE go on a sale on the Switch.

Edited by Ash Williams
  • Like 1

Completed Deadpool (PS4). Funny little action game and not too long. The humor is very silly, but it still made me grin every now and then. The PS4 version has some technical problems. Every some seconds it lagged. It became better when I turned my Internet connection off. That's interesting, since I didn't see any online options in this game.

I'm at 7 completed games now. The backlog is melting. Close to 1% done! original post

Edited by Moosbert
  • Like 1

Finished the story!

662px-DKCTF.jpg

Today, I chose to get through Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, a game which I enjoyed a lot but am shamed to admit to have not played through completely before now. Thanks to occasional split-second platforming with sliding characters, I noticed this wasn't the best game to play in handheld mode. I actually had done most of the game already, I stopped at the boss of the pre-final world and since that was at the start of my holiday, I had forgotten about it by the time I got home again.

I really enjoyed Tropical Freeze and I will revisit the game at some point to try to get to 100% completion, although the game doesn't grab me the way Rayman Legends does - Legends is much more approachable to 100%, I think, due to controls that are more precise and secrets that aren't too well hidden.

• Like 1

Wolfenstein: The New Order

wolfenstein-the-new-order.png

• Played on Normal
  • Took me 15h to finish
  • Bought it for 9.99€

B.J. Blazkowicz is my hero.

Cleverly written characters in a whacky setting, over the top brutality and a badass main character. It's quite Tarrantino-esque.

Had you told me that this game would grab me with it's great story and amazing characters in 2009 while playing Raven's Wolfenstein reboot... well, let's say I would've been sceptical.
While The New Order does nothing new with it's gameplay per se, it mixes up existing mechanics nicely.

There's leaning around corners, health packs, armor, dual weilding, secondary fire modes for weapons and a great emphasis on stealth. And I always enjoy being a sneaky bastard in games.

But as I already mentioned this is not the reason I'm fascinated with this game, it's the story.

I just never imagined to be this invested in a Wolfenstein game. You root for the good guys and you really want to see the bad guys dead, be it the malicious Deathshead or the honestly charismatic Frau Engel. A disgusting but somehow captivating woman.

Oh and don't start me on Bubi... what a fucktwat this one is

Right at the start of the game there is a decision for you to make which slightly changes your playthrough. (Different upgrades, dialogue and characters)

The changes aren't that big but it's still better than nothing and certainly more than what most shooters do.

Only negatives are the sound editing that is quite bad at points because it drowns some of the otherwise great voice acting and the menu, or more precisely it's lack of options.

See I am from Austria and as you may know we have a little bit of history with the Third Reich... in other words the game is cut here and Bethesda opted for a pretty stupid solution. Instead of only cutting imagery they also censored the dialogue so that ''Führer'' and ''Nazi'' are nowhere to be heard ingame.

Which in turn means that on an Austrian/German copy of Wolfenstein you only get german voice acting... which is always shit imo.

I don't care about the symbolism that much, but I do care about the original voice acting.

Nonetheless this was the best singleplayer shooter campaign I played since Battlefield 1, big bonus points for the excellent cast of villains.

I'd give Wolfenstein: The New Order a 9/10

Played on Xbox One X

J

• Like 4

Finished the story!

1531659002_107061_1531659101_miniatura_n

I got through to the final boss in the game! Now there's the bonus levels left to go, and because it was taking too long I skipped doing 100% in a bunch of the levels of the third book. I'll definitely return to the game and get 100%, though.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker was a lot of fun, and has much more content than I thought with a price like this. They could've asked €60 and I'd have thought it was worth it. (Mario Tennis Aces on the other hand, should have gotten the lower price that Captain Toad got)

There's loads of variation in the levels - carts, mining, ghost houses, treadmills...

I really recommend playing this game in handheld mode because it has quite a few touch controls.

Also, I played a bit of the demo of Valkyria Chronicles 4, and I think I'll be buying it when it releases, it looks like a lot of fun.

• Like 2

Bought a new game! B)

L52070a.png

Got an e-mail this morning about The Crew 2 being €35 for the day deal of bol.com (think Dutch Amazon), and I immediately knew I would bite.

Thanks to my backlog and thanks to me being on a holiday when the game released (meaning the early release for pre-orders did nothing to me), I thought I'd wait a bit on a nice sale and some patches. Turns out, €35 sounds like a pretty good sale right now to me. I loved The Crew 1 and I know I'm going to play a whole lot of The Crew 2. Getting it in the mail tomorrow so for now my gaming schedule will be Rayman Legends challenges, The Crew 2 for a bit, then on to some Switch games.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎.‎08‎.‎2018 at 7:32 PM, Moosbert said:

Completed Deadpool (PS4). Funny little action game and not too long. The humor is very silly, but it still made me grin every now and then. The PS4 version has some technical problems. Every some seconds it lagged. It became better when I turned my Internet connection off. That's interesting, since I didn't see any online options in this game.

I wanted to like this game so much but I just hated the gameplay and basically everything else besides the humor. A shame, because I think they nailed Deadpool as a character.

---------

@Ash Williams I don't know what to quote from you, your updates are through the roof!

I wanted to ask you about Cap Toad but as I see you liked it quite a bit. Because my girlfriend is also interested in the game we'd get it together and effectively only pay half the price each.

And on a difficulty level, how did you fare against the last boss in Tropical Freeze? That guy really kicked my ass. Like hoooly shit, I don't think I've struggled that much against a boss in about 2 years.

----------

On ‎15‎.‎08‎.‎2018 at 0:01 AM, ExHaseo said:

I dunno, maybe we're both just really weird, haha.

I think we just are xD

----------

@AshestoAshes28 What you're up to at the moment?

J

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

I wanted to like this game so much but I just hated the gameplay and basically everything else besides the humor. A shame, because I think they nailed Deadpool as a character.

I liked the humour but everything else about the game was too bland.

Hey, did we just agree on a game?

@Ash Williams I don't know what to quote from you, your updates are through the roof!

I wanted to ask you about Cap Toad but as I see you liked it quite a bit. Because my girlfriend is also interested in the game we'd get it together and effectively only pay half the price each.

I'd definitely give Captain Toad the esteemed BillyHorrible's Stamp Of Recommendation™. Fun levels, a lot of variation, a difficulty that's neither too hard nor too easy, and all for a fun low price.

And on a difficulty level, how did you fare against the last boss in Tropical Freeze? That guy really kicked my ass. Like hoooly shit, I don't think I've struggled that much against a boss in about 2 years.

I actually thought the final boss was a lot easier than a few of the other bosses in the game (I think the polar bear was the toughest for me).

What made the final boss easy for me was that I realised I should just take it slow, and whenever I lost a heart, my first goal should be waiting for the little penguins so I could roll over them for a new heart. After that realisation, I finished him off on the first try, and I even still had my buddy left.

I played the entire game with Dixie as a buddy, by the way. That hoover mode is brilliant.

• Like 2