Backlog Anonymous - The event to end all backloggery (Year 1)

Well, yesterday marked the first day that I couldn't post any form of completion post on here. This is because next to the Rayman Legends challenges and the Picross S 2 puzzles, I continued on Banner Saga 2 instead of doing another quick game just for the sake of having another game off of my backlog.

I'll be spending lots of time on The Crew 2 and the final two of three Banner Saga games, meaning you won't see me posting as much played throughs for a bit.

After doing a bunch of my backlog, it is also my wish to continue on Skyrim again. I swear I'll finish it at some point in time.

On 15/08/2018 at 6:32 PM, Moosbert said:

Completed Deadpool (PS4). Funny little action game and not too long. The humor is very silly, but it still made me grin every now and then. The PS4 version has some technical problems. Every some seconds it lagged. It became better when I turned my Internet connection off. That's interesting, since I didn't see any online options in this game.

I'm at 7 completed games now. The backlog is melting. Close to 1% done! original post

Deadpool is a really awesome game. I liked so much that it was very pleasant to me to platinum it and go through the campaign all over again. Even though the game has no online features, the game does indeed lag every few seconds if you are online, due to the ping trying to ping Activision's server and for some reason it didn't work, that's why everybody says that you should play the game with the internet off.

Finished up One Piece Pirate Warriors. It was a really weird game. I was mostly QTE platforming, instead of just running around killing doods like in other Warriors games. It was short, and wasn't all terrible though. That brings me back up to 0 points, which is pretty exciting.

• Like 1

Since I was totally killing it with my updates recently it became quiet the last few days, so I wanted to post a short update. (After typing the whole thing: ''Short'' LOL)

Playstation 4:

I started Yakuza 0 and I'm having a blast with it. Problem is that I get easily distracted and/or just cannot motivate myself to play when I work during a long game. So at the moment Yakuza 0 is my weekend game, or at least I'm trying that approach since I really like the game and don't want to abandon it.

Stupid adult life... god I hate working.

My other game is Final Fantasy IX, and we're (the wifey and I) just about to finish it. Because I played the game like 25 times I know exactly what's gonna happen and we only have like 4-5 hours left. Maybe we'll get this done today.

Nintendo Switch:

O Lord, have mercy on this poor bastard, for I am a sinner and as is my nature I have sinned.

I bought Salt and Sanctuary and dropped down again on -3 points. I can can hear the bell-ringing woman... *shame*.....*shame*...

Buuut I'm really liking the game and instantly started it. The main reason I bought it is also what I mentioned with Yakuza, since I lose motivation for gaming fast due to my work I thought it would help to have a nice game during my lunch breaks on the Switch.

And it helps indeed, I even play it at home after work now and currently have a lot of fun with it.

Yesterday evening we started Thimbleweed Park again together. I had started it months ago alone and was not enjoying it. Now that my girlfriend is on the pad and playing it's enjoyable for me. I like the humor and all but I kinda hate playing the thing :dunno:.

Xbox One:

On the Xbox it's quiet at the moment. But once I finished a few of the games above I can start games on a nice home console again. I'll start Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, Prey or some Resident Evil game probably.

J

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

(...) Problem is that I get easily distracted and/or just cannot motivate myself to play when I work during a long game (..)

(...) and dropped down again on -3 points (...). I can can hear the bell-ringing woman... *shame*.....*shame*...

Yeah, I know how you feel... It takes me a looong time to finish a long game, and get tired of it...

-3 points? Only? Shame!..... Shame!... :P

1 hour ago, Paleblood said:

Since I was totally killing it with my updates recently it became quiet the last few days, so I wanted to post a short update. (After typing the whole thing: ''Short'' LOL)

Playstation 4:

I started Yakuza 0 and I'm having a blast with it. Problem is that I get easily distracted and/or just cannot motivate myself to play when I work during a long game. So at the moment Yakuza 0 is my weekend game, or at least I'm trying that approach since I really like the game and don't want to abandon it.

Stupid adult life... god I hate working.

My other game is Final Fantasy IX, and we're (the wifey and I) just about to finish it. Because I played the game like 25 times I know exactly what's gonna happen and we only have like 4-5 hours left. Maybe we'll get this done today.

Nintendo Switch:

O Lord, have mercy on this poor bastard, for I am a sinner and as is my nature I have sinned.

I bought Salt and Sanctuary and dropped down again on -3 points. I can can hear the bell-ringing woman... *shame*.....*shame*...

Buuut I'm really liking the game and instantly started it. The main reason I bought it is also what I mentioned with Yakuza, since I lose motivation for gaming fast due to my work I thought it would help to have a nice game during my lunch breaks on the Switch.

And it helps indeed, I even play it at home after work now and currently have a lot of fun with it.

Yesterday evening we started Thimbleweed Park again together. I had started it months ago alone and was not enjoying it. Now that my girlfriend is on the pad and playing it's enjoyable for me. I like the humor and all but I kinda hate playing the thing :dunno:.

Xbox One:

On the Xbox it's quiet at the moment. But once I finished a few of the games above I can start games on a nice home console again. I'll start Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, Prey or some Resident Evil game probably.

J

I thought Thimbleweed Park was very good. Not quite the level of Day Of The Tentacle or Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis, but then again nobody with realistic expectations thought it would be that great. It's very enjoyable and a nice throwback to the old style of gaming for me.

Salt And Sanctuary, I forget... Was that something for me or not?

41 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

Salt And Sanctuary, I forget... Was that something for me or not?

It's 2D Soulslike with Metroidvania thrown in. It's a good game, fun and challenging but never frustrating. Could be up your alley since you enjoy Metroidvania's quite a bit, don't you?

41 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

I thought Thimbleweed Park was very good. Not quite the level of Day Of The Tentacle or Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis, but then again nobody with realistic expectations thought it would be that great. It's very enjoyable and a nice throwback to the old style of gaming for me.

To be perfectly honest it was mostly the ''Ransome the Clown'' bit that threw me off. I had a bug that I didn't notice at first where Ransome would interact with an object but nothing actually happened.

I wasn't too keen on the music and the atmosphere of that bit at first glance anyway, that combined with aimless wandering annoyed me so much that I just didn't want to touch the game anymore. But as I said, together with my girlfriend it's quite enjoyable now :).

Edited by Paleblood

10 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

It's 2D Soulslike with Metroidvania thrown in. It's a good game, fun and challenging but never frustrating. Could be up your alley since you enjoy Metroidvania's quite a bit, don't you?

Not as much as @MosesRockefeller does, but it can appeal to me. I mainly would have to enjoy the action/platforming, that it's a MetroidVania is less important to me.

7 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

Not as much as @MosesRockefeller does, but it can appeal to me. I mainly would have to enjoy the action/platforming, that it's a MetroidVania is less important to me.

Action is great and pretty deep for a 2D game. The Platforming is fun since you get abilities like walljump and such, also there is a lot to discover while platforming that has an effect on the action side of the game, which I like very much.

It's a really ambitious game if you know that it's been done by only 2 people. (A couple actually)

1 hour ago, Ash Williams said:

Well since you summoned me, I tried Salt and Sanctuary and wanted to like it, but I hated it. I think there is a core of a good game there, but I could not get into it. It's a Metroidvania without a map, which seems to be the case just because of the Dark Souls influence (as opposed to a better game like Hollow Knight, which featured similar elements to Dark Souls, while also featuring the map as a staple of Metroidvanias). Exploration games without maps require landmarks and identifiable areas, and this game does not have that. If you're a big Dark Souls fan you might overlook that shortcoming, but it was insurmountable for me. Also, I am not a Souls fan so I probably wasn't the intended audience anyway.

Just to bring up Hollow Knight again - it's fine to experiment with a tried and true formula like the map in a Metroidvania. HK had maps that needed to be discovered and purchased. That was an interesting tweak to the formula. But don't remove the map completely. Hell no.

48 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Well since you summoned me, I tried Salt and Sanctuary and wanted to like it, but I hated it. I think there is a core of a good game there, but I could not get into it. It's a Metroidvania without a map, which seems to be the case just because of the Dark Souls influence (as opposed to a better game like Hollow Knight, which featured similar elements to Dark Souls, while also featuring the map as a staple of Metroidvanias). Exploration games without maps require landmarks and identifiable areas, and this game does not have that. If you're a big Dark Souls fan you might overlook that shortcoming, but it was insurmountable for me. Also, I am not a Souls fan so I probably wasn't the intended audience anyway.

Just to bring up Hollow Knight again - it's fine to experiment with a tried and true formula like the map in a Metroidvania. HK had maps that needed to be discovered and purchased. That was an interesting tweak to the formula. But don't remove the map completely. Hell no.

I understand where you are coming from, but in the case of Salt and Sanctuary I don't find the missing map to be that big of a problem. (Not at all for me tbh.)

It's fairly easy to navigate and also pretty straight forward honestly. The game has other problems but you barely ever have more than 2 ways possible to explore. I think that's manageable.

But you have a point there with intended audience, can't argue with that.

Edited by Paleblood

2 hours ago, Paleblood said:

I understand where you are coming from, but in the case of Salt and Sanctuary I don't find the missing map to be that big of a problem. (Not at all for me tbh.)

It's fairly easy to navigate and also pretty straight forward honestly. The game has other problems but you barely ever have more than 2 ways possible to explore. I think that's manageable.

But you have a point there with intended audience, can't argue with that.

I think not having a map disqualifies a game from being a Metroidvania. I only played it for a few hours before dropping it for good, but it also seemed to not have ability-gated areas, at least not to the extent that I find in Metroidvanias. I think the game was mis-labeled in terms of genre. It's a platformer for sure, but I don't think it's really a Metroidvania.

Maybe I was in the minority, but I got lost a lot in the game. I never knew where I was going, or where I should go next. I would wander around and eventually end up somewhere new, but it was a deal-breaker to not be able to gauge my progress in the game, which is what the map is for (along with not getting lost).

Also, I don't want to sound like I'm casually dismissing the game. It is indeed an impressive achievement for a small team. But all the same, I could not find enjoyment in the game. I liked some parts of it, but I found the annoyances far outweighed the thinks I liked.

I think the game's intended audience is people looking for a 2D version of Dark Souls and platforming fans who like challenging combat. I came in expecting a Metroidvania because that's what people kept calling it, and I found a very different game.

EDIT: I should clarify that my issues with Salt and Sanctuary aren't meant as a recommendation for @Ash Williams or others to stay away. I posted them to explain why I, as a fan of Metroidvanias, did not enjoy the game. There's a decent chance it will be very enjoyable for other gamers. But I think it's important that prospective buyers are informed about what the game is and is not. IMO, I don't think it can be called a Metroidvania. I actually think the PSN store description is much more accurate. It's categorized as a RPG, and the description doesn't call it a Metroidvania or even a platformer. I think it's probably best described as a Souls-like Action-RPG Platformer. If I had seen it described that way, I would have stayed far away.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

Ok, I've decided to only do updates when there's something to say so it's time for an update seeing I finished another game:

L901511.png

Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas is a Zelda-like adventure game and was a nice change from the games I usually play, I had fun playing it and it only got a bit boring in the end when doing the clean up to get the last trophies. I can advise this game to anyone who wants something relaxing!

Now the other news:

I made some progress in a few games since my last update:

-A bit more progress in Fallout 4, however I've decided to put that one aside a bit, I'll come back to it later

-A friend came over and opened Steep, immediately 2 trophies popped, I still don't understand how that happened but that means I'm only 1 trophy away from the platinum :)

-Quite some progress done on Brawlhalla, but still far from finishing that one

And now the bad news:

The new promotion in the shop got me interested in Titanfall 2 (my best friend's favourite game) and the Jak and Daxter collection (which includes 4 games), so that means I want to add 5 games to my backlog, the problem is that I need to finish 10 more games before I can do that without going in the negative. It will be a race against the clock but I hope I'll make it before the end of the promotion, If anyone has tips on games I could finish fast I'm open to suggestions ;) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fredoline05 said:

And now the bad news:

The new promotion in the shop got me interested in Titanfall 2 (my best friend's favourite game) and the Jak and Daxter collection (which includes 4 games), so that means I want to add 5 games to my backlog, the problem is that I need to finish 10 more games before I can do that without going in the negative. It will be a race against the clock but I hope I'll make it before the end of the promotion, If anyone has tips on games I could finish fast I'm open to suggestions ;) 

When I purchase a HD-Collection I count it as one purchase i.e. -3 points, since it technically is and is mainly sold this way. But you do you, I just wanted to give you the Intel ;) Good update!

J

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

When I purchase a HD-Collection I count it as one purchase i.e. -3 points, since it technically is and is mainly sold this way. But you do you, I just wanted to give you the Intel ;) Good update!

J

Haha, I might need to 'cheat' that way, but I'll try to do it legit, the promo stands untill the 6th of september and I do have some games I should be able to finish very fast so maybe I can get it done

• Like 1

Finished all levels!

Lc3b4f1.png

I did a lookthrough of my profile, and noticed Peggle 2, which made me remember I never actually finished the game (had one world out of six left to do). Since I actually enjoyed the game and only didn't finish it because I got distracted by other stuff, I decided to download it again and complete it sometime this week, which ended up being today.

Not much to say about it. It's a pachinko like game (so fans of Konami franchises might have a bit of an allergic reaction to this one), with pegs disappearing as you hit them, though it's got a bunch of side rules. It's got bright colours, happy music... Also it's published by EA so as a ruleI would now advise anyone against buying it, so EA doesn't get any more money.

Anywhoos, another one bites the dust. And one I can use for the event with games that have been on my trophy list for a long time, no less.

@Paleblood @MosesRockefeller good conversation, I'm learning a lot about Salt And Sanctuary. Now do Dead Cells!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

@Paleblood @MosesRockefeller good conversation, I'm learning a lot about Salt And Sanctuary. Now do Dead Cells!

I had mostly dismissed the game since I'm not a huge fan of roguelikes, but when I read your post, I decided it's a boring Friday and I might as well do a little more research. I read through several reviews and searched on Google, and still I couldn't get an answer about Dead Cells having an in-game map. I had to watch a bit of a "let's play" video to confirm that indeed it does! Jeez, am I the only person who cares about in-game maps in these games?

Anyway, after watching a bit of the combat and seeing that it has a map, my interest just went way up. It looks kind of cool. I'll add it to my wishlist.

2 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I had mostly dismissed the game since I'm not a huge fan of roguelikes, but when I read your post, I decided it's a boring Friday and I might as well do a little more research. I read through several reviews and searched on Google, and still I couldn't get an answer about Dead Cells having an in-game map. I had to watch a bit of a "let's play" video to confirm that indeed it does! Jeez, am I the only person who cares about in-game maps in these games?

Anyway, after watching a bit of the combat and seeing that it has a map, my interest just went way up. It looks kind of cool. I'll add it to my wishlist.

I've heard it being described as a roguelike-vania, and as a roguelike for people who don't like roguelikes. Whatever that means. I've also heard some plagiarising douchebag got his ass fired for making a review video for IGN that was eerily similar to a small YouTuber's review, and then he said it was a coincidence, and invited Kotaku (which had started to dig) to keep digging through his reviews to find more, and tell him if they found something... And then they found so much that IGN just took down everything the guy ever wrote for them.

I think the funniest bit is that apparently even his fucking LinkedIn CV is just copy pasted from a CV checklist or a vacancy or something from somewhere else.

Just now, Ash Williams said:

I've heard it being described as a roguelike-vania, and as a roguelike for people who don't like roguelikes. Whatever that means. I've also heard some plagiarising douchebag got his ass fired for making a review video for IGN that was eerily similar to a small YouTuber's review, and then he said it was a coincidence, and invited Kotaku (which had started to dig) to keep digging through his reviews to find more, and tell him if they found something... And then they found so much that IGN just took down everything the guy ever wrote for them.

I think the funniest bit is that apparently even his fucking LinkedIn CV is just copy pasted from a CV checklist or a vacancy or something from somewhere else.

Yeah, it looks like something that could appeal to me. I really enjoyed Rogue Legacy until I hit a brick wall on one boss (I think it was the final "regular" boss). I also found Enter the Gungeon to be fun, even though I doubt I'll spend enough time with it to get good.

About that reviewer... I gave him the benefit of the doubt until the evidence started pouring in. At first I thought it was yet another witch-hunt, but the idiot didn't help anything with his terrible non-apology where he started pointing fingers. I saw one comment about him that I think may be true - he's probably been stealing from others for so long, that he doesn't even think about it now. It's probably how he does everything. I think the best advice that came out of the whole thing (apart from not stealing others' work), is that it's a very bad idea to read other reviews before you write your own, which he admitted to doing. Maybe that's how people write reviews now, but it's a bad habit that influences even the best-intentioned people with the temptation to "borrow" parts of other reviews.

It's already time for the next update :)

I finished

Lab15a9.png

Doodle Devil

Seeing I'm in need to finish up games quickly in order to be able to buy the games I want I decided to go for this one, for those who know the doodle games they know that it's really easy with a walkthrough to get it done quickly, basically the doodle games are about creating new elements by combining existing elements, once you've created all elements you finished the game, and with a walkthrough you know exactly which elements you need to combine.

Not really a game I would recommend, unless you're looking for quick trophies offcourse!

• Like 1

Well guys, I did it! I completed/platted the whole Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy!? 

2e6299e0-a83f-11e8-9cc2-025d9f72bea0.jpg 

So without counting the first game, as I had already started that before I signed up to this event, I have finished two games for a total of two points! Only need one more point before I can buy a new game :). I'll update my original post now along with my digital games with it.

I have a question though, do games that have been gifted to you count towards your points being used? As my mum brought me a Nintendo eShop Card yesterday as she saw on HotDeals that Hollow Knight was £7.25 in a sale and she treated me to it.

• Like 3

Finished the story!

L29dee9.png

While I thought Banner Saga 1 was pretty good, Banner Saga 2 was nothing short of excellent. The devs really took care to improve upon their formula, I haven't seen a sequel improve this much on the original since Assassin's Creed II.

To anyone not in the know, The Banner Saga is a trilogy epic saga about a fantasy world with an impending apocalypse, which combines tactical RPG gameplay with loads of conversation as texts and choices to be made. It's made by ex-Bioware people, and they've explicitly said that what they've learned from Mass Effect 3 is that people get pissed when your choices amount to nothing, so choices have consequences big and small this time around, and supposedly it all matters for the final ending as well.

All in all, these games are very addictive, and I'm excited to start on the finsl game in the trilogy.

On 25/08/2018 at 1:20 AM, Fredoline05 said:

Doodle Devil

Yeah, I got the trilogy for free on PS3 and loathed the first game so much that I refused to play the other two.

• Like 2

I farted on South Park: The Fractured But Whole's balls which brings my total up to 17 (6th plat of the year). I enjoyed the game much more than the first one. I won't get much playing time at all the next week, but I plan to try and take out Deathspank 1 and 2 starting on Labor Day. I'm going to take a break from studying for my exams for a week starting then and hope I can knock off 1 or 2 shorter games like these.

We'll see how it works out though! xD These things never go as planned...

• Like 3

Assassin's Creed II

Sb84bd4.png

Waaaaaaaaay late to this party, but managed to snag the plat on this bad boy tonight. While the game shows its age in the numerous loading screens, freezes, glitches, and facial animations. I have to say, it was a fun game to explore. I had some of the techniques down from getting the multi-player trophies in the sequels of Brotherhood, Revelations, 3, and 4 before the online servers dropped off. But playing through the 'origin' of Ezio was interesting but perhaps it is due to me playing several other games that felt like better versions of this game.

But that is what happens when you step back to an older game. Anyways, the story was a bit more intricate than I first took it to be, but it kinda goes on the far side of pseudo science for my tastes. However, given how it ended, I am looking forward to finishing the Ezio trilogy and moving deeper into the series. Looks to be a (hopefully) fun ride.

• Like 2

Yay, it's update time again seeing I just finished another game:

L3aa1a5.png

Claire

This spooky game was added to my backlog because of PS+ and I found it time to tackle it, I used the full trophy walkthrough on this site and honestly I can't imagine doing this without a guide like that. On Nightmare difficulty you just die way to easy and there are so many doors that I'd get lost everytime.

A scary game as 13th finished for this event, not bad :)

PS: I wouldn't mind being added to the list of most rehabilitated players and get some coins ;) 

On to the next game, still a lot of games on my backlog to tackle...

• Like 2